Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 252/220/150
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 1, 2013
!!ROSEDALE!!

Well, there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity with this plan, so I'm going to start up a fresh thread!

I went on the Rosedale diet 5 years ago with tremendous success. Yet, I have a tendency to be an all-or-nothing type person. So when I'm strict and disciplined, I do great! When I try to reason that "I can just have one... cookie, ice cream bar, etc., it just messes with my head! That's what I did 5 years ago, and gained all 70 pounds back, plus.

So, I finally found motivation to be strict again, and that's ok. When I stick with this WOE, I have NO desire for sweets, or overeating anything. It is SO liberating! Hope to find some fellow Rosedalers on this forum.

Cut the Crap (3) Challenge: week 2: 26 points total

This is me... not giving up!
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Rosedale Basics

For anyone who wants to know what Rosedale is all about, I highly recommend reading his book. Dr. Ron Rosedale has treated hundreds of patients suffering from Diabetes, and helped them regain their health with his diet regimen. He is a pioneer in the study of leptin-- a hormone similar to insulin, that among other things, regulates the sensation of hunger. His book of course goes into detail about leptin and the importance of eating properly to correct the levels of leptin in your system.

As a quick overview though, I've copied some of the basics of the diet. Many people read this and say, "No way, I can't eat like that." To those people, I want to say, try it for a few days, and you will be so surprised at how easy it is when your bodies hormone levels become regulated!

Below are some principles outlined for the first 3 weeks, of which you must stick with all the foods on the “A” list. The first 3 weeks it's important to stick with the program closely so as to achieve leptin sensitivity. The main principles to follow are:

1. Limit saturated fats---eat primarily chicken, fish, (preferably meats that have not been processed with hormones, or grain fed) nuts, vegetables, and no-fat cheeses. (After the first 3 weeks, you can add lean cuts of the other meats, but limit them to 2-3 times per week, per the notation under the “B” list foods)

2. Eat the right amount of protein for you, usually 70-75 grams per day, depending on your lean body mass weight.

3. Avoid sugar and starch. You don't have to count carb grams, just don't eat non-fiber carbs.

4. Don't be afraid of fat, but eat GOOD FAT—i.e., monounsaturated fats like olive oil, etc.

5. Drink lots of water

6. Don't eat a large quantity at one time. (spread out your meals to 4-5 smaller meals if possible)

7. DON'T EAT FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS BEFORE BED.

8. DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO GO HUNGRY. Eat good fats, protein if it doesn't cause you to exceed the daily limit, or vegetables--actually, you can eat the acceptable vegetables in unlimited amounts.

9. Exercise after the last meal of the day, if possible. He doesn't recommend doing a lot of strenuous exercise, because "a high-intensity workout can rev up production of stress hormones and cause blood glucose levels to rise as a result of tearing down excess muscle mass to burn as fuel. This is particularly damaging to someone who is insulin resistant."

10. If you "blow it" and go off the program, try to do 15-20 minutes of exercise to burn off the excess glucose.

“A” list foods: Stick with these the first 3 weeks

Nuts and Nut butter(preferably raw and unsalted)
cashews, almonds
Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts
pecans, pine nuts
hazelnuts, pistachios
walnuts
NO PEANUTS! (they're actually legumes)

Fruit
Avocado , Olives (black and green)

Poultry (preferable free range, organic)
chicken breast no skin
ground turkey , ground chicken
chicken sausage , turkey sausage

fish and seafood (wild preferred to farmed) -- All, especially those high in omega-3 fatty acids:
halibut
herring
mackerel
orange roughly
sardines (canned in water, sardine or olive oil, or mustard)
tuna

Game
Cornish Hen , Buffalo
Ostrich, Pheasant
Rabbit , Venison

Vegetables
All except:NO carrots, peas, parsnips, corn, potato tomato, pumpkin, yams

legumes
black soybeans , hummus

Condiments
All except: BBQ sauce, most commercial salad dressing, ketchup, mayonnaise, unless it's made with acceptable oils

Oils
avocado oil, almond oil
olive oil (use for your dressing, not processed dressings)

eggs (from algae or flax fed chickens)
Omega 3 enriched eggs

Dairy
Goat cheese , no-fat cottage cheese
no fat cream cheese , no- fat ricotta cheese
feta cheese , Jarlsberg swiss lite
Parmesan cheese (One tble per serving)

Tofu
Plain
Herb
Flavored

Protein Powder
vegetable protein, Whey protein, egg protein

Veggie burgers - (look for low carb, high fiber burgers with no more than 6 carbs per burger)

Beverages:
coffee substitutes:
roma, teecino, cafix, pero
tea:
black, green, herbal

High Fiber starches:
La Tortilla Factory Tortilla
Low carb, high fiber crackers(2-3 per day)

“B” List of Foods, to be eaten in limited quantities in addition to the “A” list foods AFTER the first 3 weeks.

Fat sources:
A splash of cream in your coffee or tea daily
Butter for cooking
Canola Oil
Coconut oil
Ghee (clarified butter for cooking)
High oleic safflower oil

Protein sources (no more than one serving twice a week)
Beef tenderloin
Cubed steak
Filet mignon
Flank steak
Ground round, extra lean
Ground sirloin, lean
Round steak
Roast beef (top round or rump)
Sirloin steak

Lamb chops, leg, or roast

Pork: Lean, boiled ham, loin chop, or pork tenderloin

Dairy:
Hard cheese – eat lite or low-saturated fat varieties of these in limited quantities (no more than one slice daily)
Cheddar, Colby, Havarti, Monterey Jack, Provolone, Swiss

Soft cheese: nonfat plain yogurt with one tablespoon of flaxseed to increase protein content (no more than two ½ cup servings per week)

One percent cottage cheese
Part skim milk ricotta cheese

“B” list Carbohydrates:
Vegetables – (no more than one serving (1/2 cup) per day and avoid for 1st two weeks)
Carrots, Parsnips, peas

Fruit: (No more than one serving per day, ½ cup berries, ½ grapefruit, or one small piece of whole fruit. Use only fresh or frozen, not canned)

Apples
Apricots
Blueberries
Cherries
Grapefruit
Kiwi
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries
Tomatoes

Seeds (Preferably raw, unroasted and unsalted – nuts are better than seeds, though)

Pumpkin, poppy, sesame, sesame tahini, sunflower

Legumes: Adzuki, Navy, Lentil, mung

Low starch, high protein pasta: Keto spaghetti (protein count goes toward daily total of protein)

Low carb tomato sauce: any brand with <5 grams per serving

Beverages:
1 cup of real coffee (for those who can’t live without it)
4 ounces of red wine

Sweeteners (in very limited quantities if you must)
Stevia
Sucralose
Old 12-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Current Stats

I've been on Rosedale for approx. 6 weeks now. I've lost 20 lbs, and many inches, including 4 inches from my waist!

I mostly consume the "A" list foods, and eat "B" list foods 4-5 times per week.

I have several workout dvd's that I've acquired over the years, and most days try to do at least 15-30 minutes from one of those videos in the morning.

I have to stay strictly on the plan in order to stay in control, and so far, so good.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Still Plugging Along...

Well, I've had some ups and downs, but overall am still on plan. I still have the "eat when I'm not hungry" issues that I have to figure out...

One huge victory was at the movies. I LOVE movie popcorn, and can eat an entire large tub of it all by myself. BUT, last week, I brought cauliflower pieces with me to the movie and munched on that. I wasn't fooled for one minute--would have loved the popcorn instead. But the cauliflower kept my mouth busy, and I stayed on plan.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belleadonna
Stats: 164.6/162.4/130
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/16/14
You might have more success on a higher fat diet with moderate protein, and very low carbs. Low fat will not satisfy your body which leads to cravings. Just saying but good luck on it anyway.
belleadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleadonna View Post
You might have more success on a higher fat diet with moderate protein, and very low carbs. Low fat will not satisfy your body which leads to cravings. Just saying but good luck on it anyway.
Actually, Rosedale IS a high fat diet-- it's high in monounsaturated fats. (olive oil, avocado, etc.)

My total so far after week 9 = 32 lbs lost.