Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/177/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
FALL for Meat & Eggs

Hi M&E friends!

Sorry, couldn't resist the pun for naming the thread. Thought I'd start a new one for the busy months ahead. I don't know about you, but I want to try and navigate the upcoming holidays without gaining and--dare I say it?--maybe, just maybe losing some weight.

That said, I'd also like to celebrate the holidays. And for me, yes, that does include food. Just being real, here. So, I'm looking for recipes that stay within plan yet celebrate the season. And, in between, doing plenty of M&E meals to carry me through.

What are your goals for the coming months?
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Dare to say, dare!

I did it one year on Atkins and it was the most wonderful feeling. I realized afterwards I didn't feel deprived at all.

Let's do it!
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Morning lovely girls and boys I'm lurking around and saw the new thread. I'm still doing occasional M&E when needed so I look forward to being motivated by all of the stories here

Well it's heading into summer on this side of the world so I'm hoping to maintain/lose a bit more before summer holidays....which means beach, wearing bathers and strappy dresses, as well as navigating around functions, drinking alcohol and eating yummy food *sigh*, no pressure

I love a challenge....bring it on!!

Happy losing everyone

Last edited by tashydoll; 10-01-2013 at 02:49 PM..
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Morning lovely girls and boys I'm lurking around and saw the new thread. I'm still doing occasional M&E when needed so I look forward to being motivated by all of the stories here

Well it's heading into summer on this side of the world so I'm hoping to maintain/lose a bit more before summer holidays....which means beach, wearing bathers and strappy dresses, as well as navigating around functions, drinking alcohol and eating yummy food *sigh*, no pressure

I love a challenge....bring it on!!

Happy losing everyone
I'd sure be looking forward to summer with as well as you've done Tash! You'll be the Belle of the Ball.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamalaw
Stats: 291/260/140 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 1,2012
I'm just getting started with M & E again and have a question...I'm new to sugar free syrup like Davinci, can someone tell me how to use them please? I'm sure you need to cut back on liquid but not sure how much to use. Please any help would be great
mamalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Here's hoping October brings a lot of success to you ladies.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I'd sure be looking forward to summer with as well as you've done Tash! You'll be the Belle of the Ball.
Awwww Terri, you're too sweet... thank you for the lovely compliment
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalaw View Post
I'm just getting started with M & E again and have a question...I'm new to sugar free syrup like Davinci, can someone tell me how to use them please? I'm sure you need to cut back on liquid but not sure how much to use. Please any help would be great
My main two ways to use the syrup is:

1. Chocolate Cherry Yogurt - Greek Yogurt, SF Black Cherry Syrup and Hershey's Dark Cocoa.

2. Chocolate Cherry Smoothie - to the above add 2 oz Pure Cranberry Juice 6 oz water, about a tablespoon Flax Oil, a few frozen Cherries & ice.

I never cut back on liquid or measured the syrup, just added it to taste, maybe a couple tablespoons at a time.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeyB
Stats: 250/235.6/140
WOE: Atkins/LC/ME
Start Date: 02/11/2013
Hi Everyone! Glad I found where you all ran off to! That is a great name, too.

I agree with trying to at least not gain over the holidays! I've been working on recipes and finding some I can use to have a few little baked things instead of going whole hog on sugar! Got the pancakes down pretty good!

Since this has to be a LIFETIME WOE, I do not wish to go off of it just due to a holiday. Why would we possibly want to make ourselves feel so SICK for the sake of some type of celebration?!! To me it has completely come down to: Do I, or do I not, wish to ingest POISON!!

The best Halloween I ever had was the one that I did not eat one single bite of any candy! So far so good, even though it's only the 2nd. Some years we've had candy around starting in Sept.!

I'm trying something slightly different for me. I used to let myself get too hungry. So now I don't allow it, and I eat all "legal" stuff, as far as LC goes. Not stricty meat and eggs, but lots of them for the most part. I'll weigh Mon. and see how that worked!

The strawberries and Reddi whip are GONE...LOL. It was so good, though.

You're all doing so well! Keep it up!!
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
"Since this has to be a LIFETIME WOE, I do not wish to go off of it just due to a holiday. Why would we possibly want to make ourselves feel so SICK for the sake of some type of celebration?!! To me it has completely come down to: Do I, or do I not, wish to ingest POISON!!"
Well said Joey! My thoughts exactly!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Hi Everyone! Glad I found where you all ran off to! That is a great name, too.

I agree with trying to at least not gain over the holidays! I've been working on recipes and finding some I can use to have a few little baked things instead of going whole hog on sugar! Got the pancakes down pretty good!

Since this has to be a LIFETIME WOE, I do not wish to go off of it just due to a holiday. Why would we possibly want to make ourselves feel so SICK for the sake of some type of celebration?!! To me it has completely come down to: Do I, or do I not, wish to ingest POISON!!

The best Halloween I ever had was the one that I did not eat one single bite of any candy! So far so good, even though it's only the 2nd. Some years we've had candy around starting in Sept.!

I'm trying something slightly different for me. I used to let myself get too hungry. So now I don't allow it, and I eat all "legal" stuff, as far as LC goes. Not stricty meat and eggs, but lots of them for the most part. I'll weigh Mon. and see how that worked!

The strawberries and Reddi whip are GONE...LOL. It was so good, though.

You're all doing so well! Keep it up!!
Yep Joey, hit the nail on the head
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Look at your new Avi Deb. Stunning!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks Terri. It's my passport picture I took yesterday.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamalaw
Stats: 291/260/140 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 1,2012
Thanks Terri for the help with sf syrup. I love the chocolate cherry yogurt idea, sounds great and I love cherry. What I'm looking for is ways to cook with it like in the breakfast custard or maybe use it in the 5 min pumpkin pie cup that sort of thing.
mamalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalaw View Post
Hi Mamalaw,

So far I've only used sugar free syrups for coffee. Have you searched the website for a similar question? Seems like I saw a thread asking that question this past summer. Or maybe the DaVinci website might have some recipe ideas, too.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
I have a question, please. When you eat "meat and eggs" do you allow good fat? I have been trying Stillman's but just eggs and lean meats with no fat is tough! I can't have any cottage cheese or eggs because all dairy products give me migraines. That is what makes it so difficult for me to go low carb. Most of the recipes are full of HWC or some type of cheese (cream cheese!). I can't have any of that! :-(

Thanks for the help!
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
I have a question, please. When you eat "meat and eggs" do you allow good fat? I have been trying Stillman's but just eggs and lean meats with no fat is tough! I can't have any cottage cheese or eggs because all dairy products give me migraines. That is what makes it so difficult for me to go low carb. Most of the recipes are full of HWC or some type of cheese (cream cheese!). I can't have any of that! :-(

Thanks for the help!
Hello, and welcome to the thread. Like many WOE people approach it differently that is to say, they adapt it to suit their needs, goals, and "tastes" in such a way that allows them to keep it up. I can only speak for myself, but for the most part when it comes to fat the rule is don't be afraid of it! You need it to avoid/stop protein poisoning so eat it sensibly. The fat will keep you full and away from snacking. For most people "fat" is a Tbsp or 2 of butter or mayo. If you are a Bulletproof Coffee Drinker 1 or 2 Tbsp of coconut oil.

As I stated (or at least tried to state) earlier it varies from person to person. Just adapt it and tweak it as you go along to meet your individual needs.

It is very hard at first, and you will second-guess every meal choice you make, but eventually it will become a natural, subconscious thing...you won't even think about it.

Best of luck and much success to you!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Happy 6-months of Low Carb WOE to Me!!!

I would NEVER have guessed I'd still be eating this way, let alone being as successful with this WOE as I have been way back on April 3, 2013 when I first started this journey.

Thank you all for your continued support and motivation!

NAF
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
NAF, thanks for your reply!
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post

Thanks for the help!
HomeWorkerMT!

I definitely agree with Naf, each of us has to find what works for us, and for me, fat is my friend!

When I do meat and eggs, I do plenty of fat.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post

I would NEVER have guessed I'd still be eating this way, let alone being as successful with this WOE as I have been way back on April 3, 2013 when I first started this journey.

NAF
WTG, Naf! And so glad we've got you along on this weight loss journey!!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Hey M&Eers!

Wondering what you do when it comes to tracking food. Do you use an online tracker or a food journal? Do you keep track of carbs, protein, fat, and/or calories? Just curious. I started out this spring just keeping track of carbs, but finally went back to tracking everything. I figured I might as well as DH was tracking his, and by the time I told him everything in his food, I thought I might as well do it for me, too. Sometimes it's a pain, but I end up doing better with it.

As for weight, I'm maintaining the loss from the last FF, but for some reason it seems like I need to do something to jumpstart the weight loss. So for now, I plan on doing the FF once a month.

How is everybody else doing?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great job Arural! It seems when I do an extreme loss plan whether FF or HCG, my loses stall for a while as my body adapts.

I decided I needed some action so I'm doing a round of HCG with a Primal twist, no wheat and as organic as possible. I will probably finish the round FF, I usually do.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Hi guys!

Congrats, again, NAF on 6 months of great success! I am so proud of you, and so very happy to know you. Keep on goin' strong!

Well, I failed miserably on my own quest...I still allowed myself to get too hungry, so I overcompensated and ate everything except the cats and the grandkids. SIGH.

Back on the bandwagon once again. Being careful. Must watch calories better as well as carbs. I have to get this right. It is so tempting to just say Oh, the holidays are around the corner. I'll just maintain (and eat whatever I want??!!!) until after the 1st of the year. RIGHT!! It doesn't work that way.

Why was quitting smoking easier than losing weight?!

Deep breaths....don't ingest the poison...WE.GOT.THIS.

Aruralgirl, you are a mindreader. I was just searching for something to track intake of carbs, cals, everything. I read somewhere the other day about it but can't quite remember. Plus we're not allowed to mention certain ones? There is a listing on this site but I think it misses a couple of them. If you find out, would you PM me? (And I'll do the same!) I'd sure like a good one. I think tracking would help a lot. Must keep it all in check!

Sure hope everyone's doing well and not being a big ol' cry-whiney-baby like me!
I never could figure out how to use a real Yo-Yo. But I'm sure excellent at it as far as losing weight goes! A darned expert, in fact!

Thank you, Debby, and congrats on your great success!!

I also need to read up on FF and Fat Bombs...Have been scared of fats, but trying to do better at this.

Last edited by JoeyB; 10-08-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post

NAF
NAF that is amazing...well done to you. Your commitment and determination is inspiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
Hey M&Eers!

Wondering what you do when it comes to tracking food. Do you use an online tracker or a food journal? Do you keep track of carbs, protein, fat, and/or calories? Just curious. I started out this spring just keeping track of carbs, but finally went back to tracking everything. I figured I might as well as DH was tracking his, and by the time I told him everything in his food, I thought I might as well do it for me, too. Sometimes it's a pain, but I end up doing better with it.

As for weight, I'm maintaining the loss from the last FF, but for some reason it seems like I need to do something to jumpstart the weight loss. So for now, I plan on doing the FF once a month.

How is everybody else doing?
Hey Ruralgirl, I find it much easier to track everything I eat and my weight as well and then I can see the correlation between weight loss/gain and what I have put in my mouth Often just tracking carbs isn't enough as eating too many calories, too much protein or fat - even on this WOE (for some people, myself included)- can stop your weight loss or even cause a gain. Obviously YMMV but it helps to track it to find out what is or isn't working for you.

Great work on maintaining BTW. It's better than gaining!! I needed a change up too and that's what got me started on Primal...now I'm completely hooked and my hubby just jumped on board over the weekend

Just do a google search for "online fitness trackers" and you should see some good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Hi guys!

Congrats, again, NAF on 6 months of great success! I am so proud of you, and so very happy to know you. Keep on goin' strong!

Well, I failed miserably on my own quest...I still allowed myself to get too hungry, so I overcompensated and ate everything except the cats and the grandkids. SIGH.

Back on the bandwagon once again. Being careful. Must watch calories better as well as carbs. I have to get this right. It is so tempting to just say Oh, the holidays are around the corner. I'll just maintain (and eat whatever I want??!!!) until after the 1st of the year. RIGHT!! It doesn't work that way.

Why was quitting smoking easier than losing weight?!

Deep breaths....don't ingest the poison...WE.GOT.THIS.

Aruralgirl, you are a mindreader. I was just searching for something to track intake of carbs, cals, everything. I read somewhere the other day about it but can't quite remember. Plus we're not allowed to mention certain ones? There is a listing on this site but I think it misses a couple of them. If you find out, would you PM me? (And I'll do the same!) I'd sure like a good one. I think tracking would help a lot. Must keep it all in check!

Sure hope everyone's doing well and not being a big ol' cry-whiney-baby like me!
I never could figure out how to use a real Yo-Yo. But I'm sure excellent at it as far as losing weight goes! A darned expert, in fact!

Thank you, Debby, and congrats on your great success!!

I also need to read up on FF and Fat Bombs...Have been scared of fats, but trying to do better at this.
Hi JoeyB... sorry to hear that you aren't having much luck. It's frustrating but don't beat yourself up, we all fall off the wagon from time to time...just keeping focussing on the fact that you "got back on"

Don't be scared of the fat...that will ensure your success I promise you. It stops you from getting too hungry and it helps your body process the excess protein that gets consumed from this WOE (google "rabbit starvation" and you'll see what I mean). Also maybe breaking up the amount of time you are doing M&E with just normal LC will help maintain your focus?? I find I cannot commit longer than 3 days at a time or I'm gazing longingly at the veggies and the cheese in the fridge and end up sabotaging myself. Balance and happiness is the key Maybe you could post a typical day's menu here and we can look at it and try to offer you some help?

Best of luck....remember it takes a long time to put on the weight we need to lose so it is going to take a long time to get it off also
Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Everyone

Arural girl, I track my foods, menus and counts with spreadsheets that I got from other LC'bers and created others. They have been evolving as I try and mix different plans.

I just got back from a short trip, and am feeling slightly bloated from eating a couple of s'mores. They were above average in size too. Those darn s'mores! I too feel that I need to do something...that inevitable plateau is looming and the s'mores didn't help.

Hi Terry, thanks for dropping by BFC. I understand about having your body to adapt to the WOEs. Mine had to as well when I changed over from M&E to BFC. I also had a slight drop in losses when going to IF. I just had to wait it out too. Btw, what is HCG?

Welcome to the Newcomers!

Oh no JoeyB, not the cats and the GKs... Back to the wagon as soon as is possible. The longer I stayed off the wagon, the more damage I sustained. Ughh!

NAF, happy 6 month LC anniversary!

Hey Tashydoll
Old 10-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Joey,
You’re a hoot!! You made me smile all the way through your post! I agree with you, getting too hungry is a real killer for me too. I have learned to always pack extra food. I’ll PM you my tracker. I like it because I can build recipes and save them.

I think the answer to the smoking vs. diet dilemma is you can “quit” smoking you can’t “quit” eating.

And technically cats and grandchildren are M&E, just saying.

Hi Karai,
“What is HCG” is more of a mouthful then I can convey. Here’s a link. On it I lost weight back in 2011 to my lowest point when nothing else would work. Though I think if you ask many of us that have tried it succeeded and regained, I’m not sure if it’s more of a blessing or a curse.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...hort-form.html

So today I’m feeling slimmer, but so far the loses have been lack luster, .60 & .40. I’m going to drop the fruit for a while and see if that gets things moving. Funny I was just thinking I keep going this way and I’ll be doing low fat/low fat M&E.

Hey Tashy, Mae, Aruralgirl, NAF, Debbie, Mama & MT!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
Hey M&Eers!

Wondering what you do when it comes to tracking food. Do you use an online tracker or a food journal? Do you keep track of carbs, protein, fat, and/or calories? Just curious. I started out this spring just keeping track of carbs, but finally went back to tracking everything. . .

I bought a spiral notebook when I first started this WOE, and I manually kept track of the number of carbs I ate throughout the day (I tried to keep myself under 30 total carbs a day). I did this for months. I soon saw through all my note taking and daily tracking that I never/hardly ever went over 30 total carbs a day, so I soon stopped with the note taking/tracking.

I have NEVER tracked calories or percents/levels of fat, etc. Honestly, I think that's the main reason I have stuck with this for so long-- the only number I was concerned with was my carb intake.

However, with that said, everyone is different. Be sure to keep track and count the factors that motivate you best and that will keep you on track. If that means only monitoring carbs, so be it. If that means you need to monitor everything (fat, protein, calories, carbs, etc.), there's nothing wrong with that either. There are many different recipes for success; find the one that suits you best.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Hi again!

Well, I did (and still do) just as NAF did in the beginning. I put everything in a notebook. Even the calories, fat, protein, sodium, potassium and a bunch of other counts. That did help me keep the sodium down a bit - - had to, as the blood pressure issue had gotten worse. It's better now. I still write down what I eat and guestimate closely the carbs. I, like NAF, keep it right around 20. When I got lazy and quit tracking, it went too high in carbs, I'm sure of it! As long as I faithfully write it down, it sure helps.

LOL on cats and kids being M & E, too!! Good one!! Hahaha!!

Thanks, Tashydoll. I'm just mad at myself for not being stricter. Back at it now, and so far am down 2.5 lbs. this week. I hate being so wishy-washy, on again, off again.

Hey, after I read up on Fat Bombs, I found out it is pretty much what I am already doing!! So I guess I'm doing better after all. Just watch the intake and don't go nuts anymore.

Yes, that is true - we don't need cigarettes to live but we have to eat!

I started putting lemon in my water. I put 1/2 small lemon's juice into 16 oz. water. PUCKER CITY!!!!! I drank a bit, filled up the bottle, did that again a few times...now it's palatable. HA. You all must think, What a dummy...

A great Fat Bomb I like is, 2 T. Peanut Butter, 2 T. Real Butter, 1-2 T. Baking Cocoa, and a smidgeon of sweetener all mixed together. Eat half of it, put the rest in the freezer and let it harden. It's even yummier that way. Preferable to eat that one on a different day.

Terri, I'll try again on that link. I have a program on my computer that is keeping me from opening it...have to have one of the guys (son, husb.) work on it...Thanks again.

Aruralgirl, did you find something you like? I'll PM you if Terri didn't already...

Karai, you got it - right back on the bandwagon before too much damage is done! Good job. I had my very first smore EVER in early summer! My GS couldn't believe I hadn't had one. I pretended like I didn't know how to make it so he could do it and show me. He loved that! Those things could be severely addicting.

NAF! Awesome to see you. You always have such great words of wisdom!

I just realized, tomorrow makes 8 months since I quit smoking and re-started LCing. I see around various parts of this big board how a lot of people lose 10 lbs. a month, so that would have been 80 lbs!!! I'd almost be at goal if that had happened! Well, I figure I am healthier from eating this way and at my age, slower might be better. NOT an excuse for sloughing off anymore, though!!

I am having about one meal a day M & E.

My son is already asking me, "You ARE going to make Christmas goodies this year, aren't you?" I had said awhile back that I was NOT going to....Arrrgghhh. I guess I can make it, look at it - - and NOT EAT THAT POISON. I don't know. I think I should stick to my guns and not make it. Nobody around here needs it, either!

You guys have a good one!!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Sorry for that double post...can't get anything to delete, so I had to do it and post this...serious computer issues...it is so messed up.

Last edited by JoeyB; 10-10-2013 at 03:15 PM..