Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Im back on M&E from tommorrow

More because I am LAZY than for weight loss
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/141.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Im back on M&E from tommorrow

More because I am LAZY than for weight loss
Hey Lil
Nice of you to bring the "girls" for a visit. How are you doing?

I wanted to ask you, what was your vehicle to get to goal?
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

They're just here temporarily for show and tell I'll change it in a couple of days. In order christmas last year, pre girls day, one week after girls.

I started with a vague low carb thing that was no potatoes, rice, bread, pasta sugar or wheat. Then I found this forum and did a more traditional low carb. I did a lot of meat and egg fasts...about one every week or two, then switch to low carb primal. Now I just do lc primal with m&e on occasion.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
a loss of 3 lbs in 3 days meant I was eating too many carbohydrates (even if I wasn't gaining weight)

Not sure I understand. They thought you didn't lose more because your carbs were too high? Uh...no...false. I went on an egg fast where my carbs were about 8gm a day for 5 days. I lost *nothing*.

Nausea did not come from fat but from being in ketosis. ????

Possible. I usually stick around 25gm of carbs...or did until I cut out the vegies. Now I'm usually around 10. However, when I do an egg fast (nothing but eggs) and I'm still around 10 carbs and my fat stays consistent as well, I do end up with nausea the first couple days but I'm also showing signs of deep ketosis...which went away when I added other types of protein back into my diet (but still kept my carbs below 10).

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

It is so quiet here! We've apparently settled into the part of fall that's making us aware that winter is right around the corner. As a result, I've been making soups for the family and homemade bread (which they've missed since last January 1) to go with it. The soups tend to still be too carby for me due to the tomatoes or beans or other 'fillers', so I made myself some homemade chicken broth with a 'chinese' twist (added fresh ginger root) and then cut up some of my allowed vegies into little ziplocs. During the day, I'll take out about 2 cups of broth and throw in some vegies and a bit of the diced chicken (from making the broth) and toss in some toasted sesame oil to up the fat (and the taste...yummy) for a 'meal'. I may just do soup bowls all day.

Lil: I'm with you on the 'lazy'. I did an egg fast last week for 5 days just because I didn't feel like cooking. Which makes absolutely no sense since I still cook meals for my husband. Ok...maybe it's more like I didn't feel like eating. Love the pic of the 'girls'. I'd love to get mine done...as in put back where they used to be 40 years ago.

Hey to everyone!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #246
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SonataArctica
Stats: size 12/size 2 5'1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/30/2009
I guess I didn't explain the 3 pound loss in 3 days all that great. Once you started the 3 day m/e fast, it meant your carbs were too high BEFORE you started it-not while you were on-if you lost 3 lbs in 3 days WHILE on the m/e fast. I hope that clears it up. Sorry for not explaining better.

OH, wait...that is strange...very low carbs and no weight loss for 5 days. Definitely strange.

Last edited by SonataArctica; 11-06-2013 at 03:27 PM..
SonataArctica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
SonataArctica
Can you post a sample day of your meat/egg fast? I did okay for a few days, had a bingey day yesterday and did okay today, but I am not sure I am getting adequate appetite suppression. I know the bingey day threw things off, but I am thinking maybe it could have been avoided by my choice of foods? I tried a little tuna w/mayo and avocado today for breakfast and have been hungry or fighting carb cravings all day!
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/127/125
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Still doing M&E and really enjoying it. Today's menu was 2 eggs with a teaspoon of blue cheese, 2 sausage patties/ Lunch was 2 chicken burgers with mayo and an ounce of Brie cheese/ Snack 1 ounce of salami/ dinner - 2 hb eggs with a tablespoon of full fat dressing and 7 oz of ground pork with a dollop of sour cream + coffee with hwc. Tomorrow more of the same but no cheese.

I am in so in ketosis since I have the keto taste all the time in my mouth but the nausea has gone way. I guess this is my 4th week. I really enjoy this WOE. I average 1500-1600 calories but have gone as high as 1800 and as low as 1400. I pretty much stick to M&E though I add a little cheese or avocado here and there.

I started at 131.4 and got as low as 128.4, then tom came and I gained it back but over the last week I started losing again. Yesterday I was at 128.8 but I tend to fluctuate between 128-130 which is pretty good since before I was maintaining between 130-132 at less than 1300 calories and I have definitely lost some inches !

My Maintenance journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-lbs-down.html
pandora174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Oh My Gosh, I have been STARVING today. I have no idea why.

B:2 eggs fried in butter
L: 2 eggs and a meat patties fried in some recently aquired lamb dripping
D: chicken breast, 2 eggs and homemade crackling, fried in lamb dripping. Some melted butter with garlic powder stirred into it poured over top.
S: 4 slices of salami
3x cup of tea with HWC
Shedload of water

I got the results from a health check the other day. It wasnt an in depth thing, but was interesting. Glucose was low, my cholesteral is 5.63, so over 260; and my HDL were 2, or over 80. Translation, awesome HDL, scary cholestral. I'd like to get my triceriglides done, but dont want my doctor to see the TC.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
For those who wanted to see it, a tattoo of my basset hound, Charlie, who died a few weeks ago at 14 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlietat.jpg (44.3 KB, 3 views)
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #251
Junior LCF Member

Since you wanted to know what I ate, it was very simplistic-nothing but eggs cooked in butter and meat that was 73% lean. I usuallly at 3 eggs at each meal with 1 hamburger patty and snacked on boiled eggs. I drank unlimited coffee and kept to 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil. I also followed the same rule as on Dr. Atkins-eat until you are full but not stuffed. the same rule should apply to m/e. If you are hungry, then eat. Don't be scared to eat. You definitely should not be hungry on m/e. If you are, you are not eating enough. OH yes, I did not eat sausage, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs, etc. (due to the high sodium content) That might also have helped with my results. I hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Oh My Gosh, I have been STARVING today. I have no idea why.

B:2 eggs fried in butter
L: 2 eggs and a meat patties fried in some recently aquired lamb dripping
D: chicken breast, 2 eggs and homemade crackling, fried in lamb dripping. Some melted butter with garlic powder stirred into it poured over top.
S: 4 slices of salami
3x cup of tea with HWC
Shedload of water

I got the results from a health check the other day. It wasnt an in depth thing, but was interesting. Glucose was low, my cholesteral is 5.63, so over 260; and my HDL were 2, or over 80. Translation, awesome HDL, scary cholestral. I'd like to get my triceriglides done, but dont want my doctor to see the TC.
I have days like that too. Usually it has to do with what I had a day or two prior.

One thing I would say about your cholesterol, there is a lot of information out there about the “total cholesterol” number not being as meaningful as once thought. The density (light & fluffy vs. small and dense) being much more important. You might want to check that out before you get overly concerned.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

ITA.

I was experimenting with chia tapioca and I think that messed me up. I am better today.

Im not massively concerned by the TC, I just know should m doctor get wind of it, I'll be badgered and I cant be bothered lol
Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataArctica View Post
Since you wanted to know what I ate, it was very simplistic-nothing but eggs cooked in butter and meat that was 73% lean. I usuallly at 3 eggs at each meal with 1 hamburger patty and snacked on boiled eggs. I drank unlimited coffee and kept to 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil. I also followed the same rule as on Dr. Atkins-eat until you are full but not stuffed. the same rule should apply to m/e. If you are hungry, then eat. Don't be scared to eat. You definitely should not be hungry on m/e. If you are, you are not eating enough. OH yes, I did not eat sausage, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs, etc. (due to the high sodium content) That might also have helped with my results. I hope this helps.
Thanks. Looks like I could definitely do a cleaner plan
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
TerriMM

You posted in a previous response to someone else that you gain while using CO? I'd like to know more about that because this current little stall I'm in, Saturday will be 7 weeks of bouncing between 201 and 205.. coincides with my beginning CO and it only dawned on me now while I was catching up on this thread.

I don't mind the CO that I use now, and I don't think I'm using enough to reap the benefits that others discuss it does for them. LC in General has been in itself such a big change and benefit from my former way of eating that it's hard for me to blame or attribute any particular thing to the losses or feeling well.

But if the two heaping tablespoons I ingest everyday are the culprit, tat would be so easy. Lol. Too easy almost.

So I would like to know more and how you determined that it caused you to gain. Thanks!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Susan,
For me there was no question. I tried Cocoa Crack and Clouds. Both times the results were immediate. Perhaps I over did it I've tried cooking with it without much of a benefit or gain. But it certainly isn't the magic potion for me. I much prefer olive oil or butter so those are the fats for me.

If I were you I'd try a week without the CO doing everything else the same and see how you do.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Hi Susan,
For me there was no question. I tried Cocoa Crack and Clouds. Both times the results were immediate. Perhaps I over did it I've tried cooking with it without much of a benefit or gain. But it certainly isn't the magic potion for me. I much prefer olive oil or butter so those are the fats for me.

If I were you I'd try a week without the CO doing everything else the same and see how you do.
Thank you very much for responding, I think it's out the window for the next 7 days and see what happens. I feel like I'm getting plenty of fat, however I don't track, but I do use real butter, olive oil, healthy full fat cheeses, sour cream, dressings etc, and my protein is always fatty, ribeye.. 73% ground chuck, chicken with skin and so on. Even the veggies I eat, however limited are usually dressed with full fats.

Thanks for the mention on this, maybe it's my key since I've tried pretty much every tweak short of IF and changing plans without real results.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Susan,
The CO (or maybe just fats in general) may be the problem. Atkins said if you're following the low carb and still not losing (or gaining), first look at the fats. Probably because they'll significantly raise calories without very little effort.

I use a little butter to cook my eggs, cream in my coffee, full fat dressings on my salad, bacon, etc. but am somewhat careful about adding 'extra' fats in the form of sauces or desserts and my fats still come in at 73-80% (depending on my calories for the day)...and I'm losing about a little over 1 pound a month so it's a pretty delicate line between enough and too much.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Melody,

I thought I had Atkins down pat in knowing how to fine tune things, guess I need to re read my books.

In 09, I lost 60 lbs successfully without having to do a whole lot in the way of tracking tweaking or crafting myself some weird plan so most of this making changes to see what happens is kind of foreign to me. Lots of changes though since then are making this restart I did on august 25 a lot more challenging. Depo shot, engaged, my mama passed in July, stress off the charts, AGE

What I do know I'd that in 09 I didn't use CO and likely not as much fats now that I consider that also, and was pretty much eating the same foods I am now, was VLC or at least under 20g most of the 60 lb loss. It mainly just struck a resounding chord in me when I read TerriMM say CO stalled or made her gain, because the last day of losing post induction this time was the very day that I started adding CO.

So going to drop it off my woe and maybe reduce my fats also and see what happens. If it's not the co or fats I will go on making small changes til I find my answer. Fortunately I'm really solidly on plan and remain in ketosis fairly easy, making tweaking easier.

Thanks so much for responding!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree with Melody,
If you're eating good fats with your WOE. I really don't see the point of adding fat/calories just for the sake of adding fat. Of course YMMV and please keep us informed. We all learn from each other.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moonlights
Stats: 204/150/136
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 18/04/2012
Susan - if you're eating as usual but adding fat then the additional calories may be the problem. When I introduce CO I can lose well on it but I reduce my food intake so that food calories are replaced by fat rather than added to it, if that makes sense? So if on a normal day I ate 1000 calories and 50 percent of those calories came from fat, then I might add CO so that 80 percent of my calories came from fat but still only eat 1000 calories altogether.

No idea if that makes sense, but that's why tracking helps me, so the app can do all the calculations for me.

That said I don't use CO regularly any more - I'd rather get my calories from food, and I add plenty of fat in cooking etc so I'm getting enough. (I also eat more like 1500 calories a day, not 1000 - that was just for examples sake).
Moonlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #262
Junior LCF Member

I would like to make a suggestion to those who are bouncing between numbers or not having success on m/e. (which can be extremely frustrating!) I would suggest for 3 days straight doing a strict m/e. That might get you going. What I mean by that is this:

meat-hambuer and steak
eggs fried in butter or coconut oil
unlimited unsweetened black tea and black coffee
no dairy except butter
no seasonings except pepper
no condiments except mustard
no processed meats or meats that contain sodium

I'd suggest trying it for 3 days. If you still don't get results, then go another 3-4 days and then start tweaking after that. Just a mere suggestion that I hope will help some of you.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

My menu for yesterday

B: 2 eggs, 1 slice of bacon fried in dripping
L: pork strips and scrambled eggs
D: peppered steak, 2x poached eggs with a dab of hollandaise sauce
S: 1 slice of lunchon
3 x cups of tea with HWC
not a lot of water which was naughty. Kept forgetting with a busy day.

Loss so far 2kg/4.4 pounds. I KNEW I was retaining water!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/179/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
everybody!

Just catching up on the thread.

Tashy and Terri, thanks for answering my questions, and for reposting that info, Tashy. Will probably adopt some ideas from primal when the time is right. For now, NK, M&E, and FF is helping.

Lil, looking good, and congrats on the weight loss.
Aruralgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Hey everyone!! I'm struggling to have a cheat free month and one of the things that always help curve cravings are MEAT AND EGGS!!!

Fora ll you hunters and hunter wives out there, my DH just a got a nice buck last week. Also our chickens started laying eggs just a few weeks ago!! This is GOOD news for my eating, you can't get any more hunter/gatherer and natural than that, here's a snapshot of Saturday's breakfast, Venison and Eggs, Mmmmmm:

We can get through the holidays!!! Yes we can!!!

Jessica
35yo Wife and Mother of two amazing kids (ages 2 & 4)

Visit my Journal - My So Called Low Carb Life
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Yummers!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristopia
Stats: 320/228/145
WOE: Low-low carb
Start Date: May, 2011
Hi everyone - I've been struggling a ton with metabolic issues, and might also have hypothyroid issues hindering my ability to continue weight loss (no doc appt til Dec. 10), but meanwhile, I really want to stem the tide of re-gain, and am going to do a M&E fast. I have found that when I eat primarily eggs, with a little meat for variety, I do lose.

So, starting today

Breakfast/Lunch - 4 hardboiled eggs, made into a deviled egg salad (2 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp spicy mustard, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp black pepper)

Dinner will be crab legs with butter, and any snack later will be a hard boiled egg.

Hope it's okay to join in the fray here
Kristopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/151/140
WOE: BFC-raw eating
Start Date: June 2013
Sicca, your food looks too delish! I can smell the venison now.

Kristopia, welcome to M&E! It's fine everyone is welcomed here. I started with M&E and still occasionally incorporate it into my meals. M&E is a very effective plan. You will see results very quickly. I drank plenty of water to keep things moving and to settle my appetite at the beginning.

You are in the right place. There are alot of helpful people here that are supportive and very helpful. If I can help, please don't hesitate to post.

Hey Terri, Aruralgirl, Lil and Tashy

SonataA, great suggestion. Welcome to everyone!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristopia
Stats: 320/228/145
WOE: Low-low carb
Start Date: May, 2011
Thanks, Karai

Sicca - I LOVE venison and haven't had any in ages - time to go looking for a hunter
Kristopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Kristopia! Nice to have you here. Hopefully you will find all of the help and inspiration you need to get you on your way

Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't done a round of M&E in a while so I'm going to join in for a couple of days at the end of the week.

Hi Karai! And hi to Terri, NAF, Lil, Ruralgirl, Sicca, SonataArctica, Melody, susan41, Acor, Pandora174, lurkers and anyone else I may have missed! Hope you are all doing well with your M&E...would love to hear how people are getting along

Happy losing all...