Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #211
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Down another pound today

Need opinions please. All the fat which keeps me binge free, but has a down side in that I am nauseated a good deal of the day and have reflux at night. I have heard the advice to take enzymes and/or probiotics, but am wondering if my system will adjust on it's own? I am mainly worried about the reflux due to the damaging effects on the esophagus if left untreated. I have so many different supplements ect that I have purchased that end up being a waste of money, so I don't want to go that route if it just a matter of time before my body adapts. Also, when my DH and DS tried probiotics they complained of loose stools. I guess I could also add back in plain yogurt if that would help. Thanks for any imput
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Good morning, folks! It's a lovely November morning here (read: cold and rainy) and in a few I'm off for a drive to pick up 10# of chestnuts. Yes, chestnuts. Those little suckers are getting harder and harder to find. Guess people just don't eat them anymore. I'm lucky to get these. The guy I buy them from every year saved these but he's fed the rest to the deer! No, I don't eat them, but my mil and husband love them, roasted in the oven, chestnut stuffing for Thanksgiving (which I'm making) and marron glace (think chestnuts heavily wrapped in layers and layers of sugar. Yeah...my husband is so not getting these this year. Instead I'm going to make him some chestnut hummus <crossing fingers>.

Jeanie: I used to have a serious problem with fats...to the point that if I had popcorn with butter at the theater, I'd wake up about 2 a.m. throwing up grease...nothing but grease...but I don't have a problem eating a diet that's about 75-80% fat right now. Perhaps it's the way you're eating it? Are you doing things like fat bombs or are you incorporating into your foods? My fats are mainly as cream in my coffee, about 8gms of butter when cooking my scrambled eggs, my 2 Tbs full fat salad dressing or my 2Tbs of mayo in my deviled eggs, tuna or chicken salad.

NAF: Can't say it enough...WTG! What a milestone!

Pandora: I don't lose anything at all when I do an egg fast but I still only eat about 1200 calories on those days and people tell me what makes the egg fast 'work' is eating more. I still do them every so often though because I feel like they clean up my mental taste buds. If I've started mentally craving, the egg fast seems to rid me of them by day 5.

Lil, Terri, Susan, Acor, Sonata, Debbie and all the lurkers. Hope you all made it through Halloween 'safely'.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Morning! Scale says 200.4 this morning whooooohoooo

NAF... so proud for you!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Jeanie: I used to have a serious problem with fats...to the point that if I had popcorn with butter at the theater, I'd wake up about 2 a.m. throwing up grease...nothing but grease...but I don't have a problem eating a diet that's about 75-80% fat right now. Perhaps it's the way you're eating it? Are you doing things like fat bombs or are you incorporating into your foods? My fats are mainly as cream in my coffee, about 8gms of butter when cooking my scrambled eggs, my 2 Tbs full fat salad dressing or my 2Tbs of mayo in my deviled eggs, tuna or chicken salad.
I don't eat fat bombs. I cook my eggs/meat in kerrygold butter. I haven't had any mayo and use light not hwc in my coffee. I take 1 tsp each of mct and coconut oil off the spoon usually with lunch or dinner. Maybe I should try taking the oils in smaller doses throughout the day. Did you do anything in particular to build up to the higher fat diet? Thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/177/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewestAtkinsFan View Post
Hello all. Has a new November thread started for us yet?
I thought if I called it "fall" when I started the thread that we could use it for the season rather than have to start a new one each month.
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
November 1, 2013-- I have entered Twoderville!!!
Great job, Naf!!! So proud of you!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post

NAF... so proud for you!
Great job on the losses, Susan!! Keep on keepin' on!!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Hi Everybody!

Sorry for being MIA so long. I couldn't get on IE to even come here, and couldn't for the life of me remember the name...Made me realize how I missed it, and the WOE, too. And all of YOU.

I realized that going crazy and eating everything in the house isn't going to help any troubles. My brother has cancer again, and it sure doesn't look good to me. It's a long waiting game, now, too - as most of these things are. SO I am going back to at least LC, if not M & E for a good start again.

I missed everyone and happy to see some new ones, too.

Now if we can survive the holidays! That's all I was worried about before. Now I haven't even been thinking about them!

Good to be here again.
Sorry to hear about your brother, Joey. Will say a for you guys.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

everybody!

Terri, wanted to ask you, what types of things do you eat on Primal? I'm wondering because once I hit my goal, I might incorporate Primal into DH's and my eating.

Jeanie, you perfectly described how I often feel on this WOE--nauseated (slightly) and hungry. I seldom seem to have that appetite suppression thing going on. Still, I am very happy with this WOE.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
You guys are doing so great!

I finished up a 3 day fat fast yesterday and I'm surprised at how easy it was, especially for someone like me that love to snack. Today it's back to meat/eggs, and I'm looking forward to having a hamburger with lots of grilled mushrooms for dinner tonight.

Today was weigh-in for me. Last week:

weight: 128.6
waist: 29.5"
hip: 39"
bicep: 12.75"

Today:
weight: 126.6
waist: 29.25"
hip: 38.75"
bicep: 12.5"
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
I thought if I called it "fall" when I started the thread that we could use it for the season rather than have to start a new one each month.

Works for me! I was just wondering.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post

NAF... so proud for you!

Thanks. Congratulations to you as well and your continued weight-loss success!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/125/125
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Did an impromptu FF because I was craving nuts & cheese. My lowest on M&E was 128.4 but after tom came I creeped up again to 132. As of yesterday I had dropped down doing M&E to 130.2.

So just ate what I craved and today down -2.0 to 129.2 ! Had about 1400 calories but 85 % fat, 7 net carbs but only 49 grams of protein. Seems my body really likes high fat. Had Brie cheese, Mac nuts, bacon and HWC. I didn't think I was going to drop so much today. In the past when I intentionally set out to do a traditional Fat Fast I stuck to 1000 calories broken into 200 calorie meals and left the protein to a minimum.

Strange huh ? Wonder what my body is telling me ? Other than more fat !

Oh well today doing more of the same today and tomorrow and then Monday back to M&E.

My Maintenance journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-lbs-down.html
pandora174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tashydoll
WOE: Primal/occasional M&E
Start Date: LC since 2010
Quote:
November 1, 2013-- I have entered Twoderville!!!
where'd my post go??? Oh well, just wanted to say that you're awesome NAF!! You're killing it...well done!
tashydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Did you do anything in particular to build up to the higher fat diet? Thanks
Nope. Unless I'm doing an egg fast, I just eat 2 eggs and about .7 oz bacon for breakfast (eggs cooked in about 8gm of kerrygold). Lunch might be 3 eggs, deviled with 2 Tbs of mayo or a salad with egg, cheese and 2Tbs full fat dressing. Fat in dinner usually comes as cheese on a burger, butter/parmesan coating on fish, butter on vegies or more full fat dressing on salad. Plus, I do drink about 4-6 Tbs of half and half in my coffees through the day. I never 'deliberately' add fat but it always just seems to add up.

Even when I'm doing an egg fast and eat 3 eggs for breakfast, 3 deviled eggs for lunch and 3 eggs for dinner, the fat falls right into that 73% (when I'm doing around 1200 calories).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
where'd my post go??? Oh well, just wanted to say that you're awesome NAF!! You're killing it...well done!

Thanks, tashydoll! You have been such a great inspiration and motivator for me these past 6 months. Thank you so much for everything!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #227
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Nope. Unless I'm doing an egg fast, I just eat 2 eggs and about .7 oz bacon for breakfast (eggs cooked in about 8gm of kerrygold). Lunch might be 3 eggs, deviled with 2 Tbs of mayo or a salad with egg, cheese and 2Tbs full fat dressing. Fat in dinner usually comes as cheese on a burger, butter/parmesan coating on fish, butter on vegies or more full fat dressing on salad. Plus, I do drink about 4-6 Tbs of half and half in my coffees through the day. I never 'deliberately' add fat but it always just seems to add up.

Even when I'm doing an egg fast and eat 3 eggs for breakfast, 3 deviled eggs for lunch and 3 eggs for dinner, the fat falls right into that 73% (when I'm doing around 1200 calories).
Now that I am a few days in it seems my fat tolerance as increased. I did start 1 TBL of ACV and am taking the oils w/ my meals rather than all at once,so that may also be helping.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks, tashydoll! You have been such a great inspiration and motivator for me these past 6 months. Thank you so much for everything!
Awwww NAF that's a gorgeous thing to say So glad I've helped you along. You've done a massive amount of hard work and started yourself on the path to good health and longevity; I feel very privileged to have helped you in some way
Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
everybody!

Terri, wanted to ask you, what types of things do you eat on Primal? I'm wondering because once I hit my goal, I might incorporate Primal into DH's and my eating.
Hey Rural,
Iím very new to the concept. Tashy and Lil can probably give you better info. To me Primal (at this point) means:
No Grains or Legumes, this extents to soy oil whenever possible
Natural and Organic as possible
Limited fruit
Occasional, but rarely starchy veggies
80/20 rule, Eighty percent perfect, twenty percent best choice available a still live a happy life

Quote:

Iím with Melody, Jeanie. I donít add oil for oil sake. I use it liberally with cooking and as condiment. If I need to up my fat for the day Iíll have SF whip cream for dessert. Iím also one that gains on coconut oil so I donít do booms or anything like that.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Hey Rural,
I’m very new to the concept. Tashy and Lil can probably give you better info. To me Primal (at this point) means:
No Grains or Legumes, this extents to soy oil whenever possible
Natural and Organic as possible
Limited fruit.
Occasional, but rarely starchy veggies
80/20 rule, Eighty percent perfect, twenty percent best choice available a still live a happy life
Hi Ruralgirl...Terri's pretty much hit the nail on the head Here are the basic guidelines I use:
* Primal is Paleo plus dairy (because dairy doesn't pose an issue for my digestion)
* No refined sugar. Period. I just don't do it.
* Only sugar/carbohydrates from natural sources (fruit, veg, nuts, seeds)
* Avoid processed foods where possible (the exception for me here is dairy products but I try to buy good quality, grass fed dairy)
* No grains. Limited legumes (for me occasional legumes don't cause me problems but I don't overdo it) I very rarely will indulge in a small amount of brown rice, but that is a treat for me
* Grass fed, not grain fed, meats where possible
* Try to buy food in its most natural state (meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, and dairy form the basis of my diet)
* Avoid plant based oils (sunflower, vegetable, soybean, canola etc). The exception is good, cold pressed olive oil but not for cooking as it destroys the good properties.
* Oils from coconut, avocados, meat should be included in the diet to help keep the body satisfied and cravings away.
* I generally don't limit what I eat in a day. If I follow these guidelines, I tend to not overeat or have cravings and I don't need to worry too much about fat/carb/protein balance. I naturally have a diet that tends to be 50-70% of calories from fat.
* Additionally I have slowly been removing all products that I put ON my body that contain chemicals. I have replaced all of my makeup, shampoo, conditioner, body creams, deodorant, soap etc with products that are natural/plant based and have no chemicals in them. This was a personal choice for me as I figured I was trying to avoid toxins in my food, I might as well do it from the outside aswell!

Woah, that was War & Peace... sorry! I hope that helps, but if you have any questions or want to do some reading/lurking we have a thread over here Primal/Paleo newbies.... tips, hints, and most of all, recipes to share!

Last edited by tashydoll; 11-04-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashydoll View Post
Hi Ruralgirl...Terri's pretty much hit the nail on the head Here are the basic guidelines I use:
* Primal is Paleo plus dairy (because dairy doesn't pose an issue for my digestion)
* No refined sugar. Period. I just don't do it.
* Only sugar/carbohydrates from natural sources (fruit, veg, nuts, seeds)
* Avoid processed foods where possible (the exception for me here is dairy products but I try to buy good quality, grass fed dairy)
* No grains. Limited legumes (for me occasional legumes don't cause me problems but I don't overdo it) I very rarely will indulge in a small amount of brown rice, but that is a treat for me
* Grass fed, not grain fed, meats where possible
* Try to buy food in its most natural state (meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, and dairy form the basis of my diet)
* Avoid plant based oils (sunflower, vegetable, soybean, canola etc). The exception is good, cold pressed olive oil but not for cooking as it destroys the good properties.
* Oils from coconut, avocados, meat should be included in the diet to help keep the body satisfied and cravings away.
* I generally don't limit what I eat in a day. If I follow these guidelines, I tend to not overeat or have cravings and I don't need to worry too much about fat/carb/protein balance. I naturally have a diet that tends to be 50-70% of calories from fat.
* Additionally I have slowly been removing all products that I put ON my body that contain chemicals. I have replaced all of my makeup, shampoo, conditioner, body creams, deodorant, soap etc with products that are natural/plant based and have no chemicals in them. This was a personal choice for me as I figured I was trying to avoid toxins in my food, I might as well do it from the outside aswell!

Woah, that was War & Peace... sorry! I hope that helps, but if you have any questions or want to do some reading/lurking we have a thread over here Primal/Paleo newbies.... tips, hints, and most of all, recipes to share!

Oh yeah, totally missed sugar

I'm still working on mayo. I know you're not a big mayo fan, but what do you think about 1/2 olive and 1/2 High-Oleic Sunflower. It seems like I read the high-oleic made it okay. I know its low in poly.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post

Oh yeah, totally missed sugar

I'm still working on mayo. I know you're not a big mayo fan, but what do you think about 1/2 olive and 1/2 High-Oleic Sunflower. It seems like I read the high-oleic made it okay. I know its low in poly.
Thanks Terri It's not that I'm not a fan of mayo, it's just that I don't really eat enough of it to really worry myself about it too much. I read up on making my own without using real eggs (the thought just grosses me out ) and making it with olive oil, mustard, vinegar and egg replacer, or something along those lines. Might give it a go and report back

Sitting here enjoying a breakfast shake of honeydew melon, pineapple, coconut milk and ice all frothy and delicious from my blender
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SonataArctica
Stats: size 12/size 2 5'1
Start Date: 12/30/2009
I would just like to say that I did meat and eggs after being plateaued for close to 4 months at 137 lbs. This is exactly what broke my plateau-I was shocked when I got on the scale after 3 days and saw a loss of 7 lbs. I could not believe it! Of course, afterward, I increased my carbs back up slowly by 5 g weekly, but I must tell you-this was a great way to break a plateau. Plus I felt really good eating meat and eggs. I wish all of you the best of luck in this!
SonataArctica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Ruralgirl I should have also mentioned that it really can be tweaked to suit your own lifestyle and preferences and I'm only really, really strict about the sugar thing and also wheat/gluten (intolerant; gluten and I have agreed to see other people )...other than that, I just make the best choices I can based on my situation at the time

Last edited by tashydoll; 11-05-2013 at 12:28 AM..
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Can anyone tell me if some of the things I heard about the meat/egg fast are truth or just myths? I remember-after I did it-someone told me a couple things about it that I never heard before. This is what I was told:

a loss of 3 lbs in 3 days meant I was eating too many carbohydrates (even if I wasn't gaining weight)

Nausea did not come from fat but from being in ketosis. ???? I tried to figure this one out because on Atkins induction, I was in ketosis and never felt nauseated. Could it have just been that I was sitting at biologically zero carbs and that's why? Maybe just a shock to the system.

Although I gradually increaed my carbs back up, I discovered that I felt my best on an extremely very low level of carbohydrates (meat, eggs, chicken, butter, 4 oz cheese daily and 2 oz nuts daily). So to this day, that's what I do though there are times where it just sounds good to eat nothing but eggs cooked in butter and meat...and on those days, that's exactly what I do. Funny thing, I never tire of it, either.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #236
Big Yapper!!!!

A loss of 3 lbs in 3 days is not good?? I felt nauseated at first but am adjusting, I am assuming the higher fat was the issue.

You are an inspiration to me as a fellow shortie
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #237
Junior LCF Member

A loss of 3 lbs in 3 days was good. They were just telling me that anyone who lost 3 lbs in 3 days needed to drop their carbohydrate level down because our bodies can change over time and might need less carbs to keep losing. As I posted earlier, I lost 7 lbs in 3 days...well, if eating all that fat was the cause of nausea, well, it was worth the 7 lb loss!

Glad I am a source of inspiration as another shortie
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #238
Big Yapper!!!!

7 pounds in 3 days is amazing! I really don't eat any carbs on meat/egg to speak of. Today I had some cheese but that was a first. I mean I know everything has a bit of carbs in it and they all add up.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #239
Junior LCF Member

Oh, yes...everything does add up carb wise, but for the purpose of the meat/egg fast, I did not count carbs or calories at all (but I was probably sitting at around 1300-1400 calories-just a guess).

When I did the meat/egg fast, that's all I did with my eggs cooked in butter. I almost forgot-I also put coconut oil in my coffee. No cream and no cheese. I'm not sure if that's why I had a huge loss or not. (but I do understand why Dr. Atkins limited these 2 things-easy to go overboard)...and if there were bm problems, milk thistle was an alternative to laxatives, but because of my higher fat intake, no problems at all in that area.

The best part of this? I lost those 7 lbs in my stomach!

Last edited by SonataArctica; 11-05-2013 at 04:21 PM..
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #240
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow all from the stomach Maybe I should consider doing it more strictly.