Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Is any one else here doing Maria's way?

Just wondering if any one else has tried her meal plans. My youngest daughter & I are planning on starting on Sunday. I haven't tried any of her recipes yet but they look amazing. Just wondering if any one has any feed back on her 'diet' or recipes. Thanks!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Can you give me some information on this? Who is Maria?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
what is it?
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/185.5/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
Her blog and recipes look interesting. Not sure I would pay $100 to have someone whose main credentials seem to be calling herself a "nutrition expert" tell me what supplements I need without ever having met me or done a health check. You can find the same generic info in Dr. Atkins books or the Eades, etc.

Her other packages at $250-$550 seem to include a lot of info that you can find for free, but I know sometimes its convenient to have things packaged up for you. Also you get her e-cookbooks.

I just in general object to people claiming LC is their way, so the "Maria's Way" sort of bugs me - like she discovered LC. But if it sells, why not I guess.

I'd rather pay $5 or less for an old copy of Dr. Atkins book and get the same info. A lot of her recipes seem to be available for free on her blog.

Mini goal 1: Onederland by October 27 (Met Oct 24!! )
Mini goal 2: 189 by November 30 (Met Dec 3!! )
Mini goal 3: 184 by December 30!
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, umm okay. She actually does a health assessment questionnaire. Yes, you could get the same 'generic' info from Dr. A, or the Eades. But she does admit that she's self taught, and did go to college for nutrition. So I don't see that as an issue.

As for claiming it to be 'her way' it is. It's higher fat low carb.. I'm sure if Dr. A was still around he might agree with her. There has been a lot more information come out since his death. Not to mention how many other people have done the same thing. I could give you a list. All seeming to claim they found low carb. I never have a problem with people 'selling' what they know, if they know more than me. It's up to me if I chose to pay to see what they might know I didn't.

And I did learn from her books. And I read a lot! And yes you can get a lot of the info free on her blog, so it's not entirely 'you have to buy it from her'. Putting the recipes out there is a huge service to the low carb or primal communities. Me, I prefer books. She's put a lot of work into what she does, I don't begrudge her a thing.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I agree that her recipes are snazzy, but since most low-carb plans are really just Atkins with bling, I'd just stick with Atkins (or whatever plan you like) and save the money for bacon.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/185.5/165
WOE: Atkins/Paleo
Start Date: Restart: October 12, 2014
Mmmmm.....bacon.

Sorry SnowAngel. Didn't mean to be negative. Whatever gets people LCing works for me. I just want people to know you don't have to spend $100-$500 to get going. Atkins outlines a lot of info you need about supplements, and you can pick up his books for next to nothing.

Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope you will tell us about how the recipes are working out for you!

K.

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-19-2013 at 08:37 PM..
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
I haven't done any of her classes but I found her blog a couple of years ago and then bought all of her books. It was her books that got me turned to low carb, high fat WOE.

I credit her information and recipes with helping me prevent adult onset diabetes. I have never read any of the Adkins books cover to cover but I have devoured her books. And I love all the current info she posts on her blog.

Just as an aside, her books are self-edited which makes them painful to read at times, but if you can get past that, she is an invaluable source of knowledge on lchf lifestyle. And food choices in general. Her post on I Can't Believe It's Not Butter has been forwarded to many of my family and friends, who have all now switched to butter.

Her way of eating is the closest to ours that I have found.
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Thanks for posting, snowangel.

I ordered her crockpot cookbook & can't wait to get it!

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo View Post
... It was her books that got me turned to low carb, high fat WOE.

I credit her information and recipes with helping me prevent adult onset diabetes.

Her way of eating is the closest to ours that I have found.
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the input, everyone. No problem Kaillean. It's all good!

Momov2boys, you're welcome! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Girlieschoom, thanks for that.. I hear ya, on the editing! I also agree she's the closest thing to old school Atkins. I'd like to think he'd be on board with all the information she does provide.

I've been an Atkins kid since 1998, so I know low carb. But, I also read a lot & she is putting a lot of current & relevant information out there. I admire that.

Cleochatra, (have alway loved the name! So creative! And your recipes too, I might add!) More bacon is always a good thing, right? You can't go wrong with bacon!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammyPat
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 2008
LOVE her recipes!

I think she is truly inspired! So far every recipe I've fixed has been absolutely delicious. What's more, I actually FEEL BETTER after I eat one of her recipes. Even my husband, who does not low carb or low anything else, loves her food. So far I've fixed beef stroganoff, chicken alfredo, granola, faux sweet potatoes, pancakes and pumpkin donuts. I've purchased 4 of her books already and love the information she shares. I think her recipes are genius especially her pancake recipe that uses cottage cheese and eggs for the protein, and the faux sweet potato recipe that uses cooked cauliflower and pumpkin with a crushed pecan topping! She's changed a lot of people's lives for the better! Go Maria!
GrammyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
She puts a lot of work into her blog...and I say if she is your inspiration then go with it...whatever it takes to get started. I have tried some of her recipes(they have all been good and her videos are very informative...even the free ones) and I find her blog intersting. If it costs you afew bucks to be in contact with a support person...so what...it would cost you more to keep eating an unhealthy diet in the long run.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Does she do a paleo/primal low carb? Or more conventional? If she's paleo/primal I might actually give her plan a shot myself, because I'm thinking about getting back to primal, but low carb this time, and think a little extra support might help.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Awesome GrammyPat! We start cooking tomorrow for our thirty day meal plan. That's really good to know her recipes are as good as they look. I know she gets a lot of really positive feedback.

Totally agree Iterry. She has a lot of really good information. Just for the cost of some time reading. I remember when low carb baking was (and still can be) such a complex mix of so many things! I think that's what really appeals to me, how simple her recipes are. And, since we found out my youngest is gluten sensitive, we can both enjoy these recipes.

Mistizoom, she is low carb, high fat. But I'd say, she's closer to primal than paleo. But, check her out. I'am just excited to have found such an amazing source for low carb recipes! Not to mention the education you. Can get, if you want.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback! It really is appreciated...
Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
I really enjoy her blog. In fact, it was her blog (and the info in it) that has changed many of my eating habits. I was eating low carb for weight loss and am now eating low carb for health.

In fact, my birthday is coming up next month, and I am going to ask for the package that includes all the books and some videos and a 30 day meal plan for my gift. I am also going to order her healthy family video.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
you guys are making me want to buy her cookbook
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Spareld, you can check out her recipes on her web site. I think she's pretty creative. And, like Beachy said, she gives you a lot of other information. I think she makes you think more about what you are eating. I got a set to give my sister for her birthday. I don't think you'd regret it that's for sure.

Beachy, I hope you get it! Her recommended supplements make a lot of sense too. Let us known what you get & what you think after. I love the testimonials she gets. Very inspiring...
Old 09-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Just went on her blog. Her recipes look beautiful.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Right, Mimivac? And without numerous speciality ingredients. I've been going back through her blog from the begining, a lot of great info on there as well. I'm glad you checked her out. Her recipes alone would make it hard to get bored with low carb!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Ok, I'm reviving this thread, to hear how snowangel's daughter has done so far!

I like her book Keto Adapted, just got it and think it's got some great information. I eat a NK/ LCHF diet anyway, so I guess I'm doing it Maria's way anyway, LOL!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Mimosa! Thanks for the thought and asking. Our thirty day plan went really well. Only one recipe we didn't like! My daughter really enjoyed the food and lost about 10 lbs the first month.

I was a little disappointed with some questions I had for Maria. But, to be fair it turns out my problem is a little more complicated. I would have to live near her for her to have actually helped me.

But we are still using her recipes and just eating better overall too. I'll have to tell DD to weigh herself, to me it looks like she's lost even more. At least her clothes are looking better on her!

After reading Dr. Perlmutter, I better add her new book to the list.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have only heard good things about her. I am going to check her out!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

I would recommend checking her out for sure. She is a contributor to Low Carbing Among Friends, she done Jimmy Moore and was invited on the next low carb cruise. So, yea, she's getting her name out there. Anyone looking at her can't say being keto adapted is a bad thing.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
I like her info and follow her forum/blog/facebook. I don't follow her exclusively but she does have a lot of good info. If you are going to buy her books there are some discrepancies between the metabolism book and the new keto adapted. I am assuming it's because she gained knowledge so I'd just stick with the new keto adapted and run with it.

I agree with others that it's a lot of the same plan but whatever works for you. I also am really appreciating the Ruled Keto website these days which has a great calculator and equally great info
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Tinamanni, I think she even mentions somewhere that her latest book is better, because of what she knows now.

Thanks for the tip on Ruled Keto, I just checked it out, looks good!

Snowangel, sounds like your daughter has done great so far, please congratulate her from me (I know, weird from a complete stranger on some board, but I'm always happy to hear positive stories, LOL).

I find it very interesting what Maria says about gut health. Seems like she is really hitting the nail on the head for me regarding that and inflammation. Nice to read another book about it, and she really explains it clearly, so I really understand!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Old 01-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
I read her blog from time to time, it's very informative and the recipes are inspiring for sure, I actually ordered her book Keto Adapted and am about 2 chapters in. Wish I had more time to read

As for paying for the assessment... Eh. Not for me. I'm pretty confident in my own research and being included in a forum such as lcf I can get answers when needed.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #28
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Tinamanni, I think she even mentions somewhere that her latest book is better, because of what she knows now.

Thanks for the tip on Ruled Keto, I just checked it out, looks good!

Snowangel, sounds like your daughter has done great so far, please congratulate her from me (I know, weird from a complete stranger on some board, but I'm always happy to hear positive stories, LOL).

I find it very interesting what Maria says about gut health. Seems like she is really hitting the nail on the head for me regarding that and inflammation. Nice to read another book about it, and she really explains it clearly, so I really understand!
I find the topic of gut health quite interesting and there have been a lot of progress in the science world of late. My 'go to guy' on the topic is Chris Kresser. He is smart and is pretty good relaying the info. I must add that I don't agree with him on all topics (much like pretty much anyone).
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I find the topic of gut health quite interesting and there have been a lot of progress in the science world of late. My 'go to guy' on the topic is Chris Kresser. He is smart and is pretty good relaying the info. I must add that I don't agree with him on all topics (much like pretty much anyone).
Thanks for the tip, Cathy! I will definitely do a search for him.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 167/140
Just thought I'd jump in here too. I posted on the "other plans" a few weeks ago, asking if anyone was doing the Maria Keto-Adapted, and so far no responses. Anyway, I just purchased the Keto-Adapted book, and it makes perfect sense to me. Our whole family has lots of food sensitivities, so I did purchase her 7 day egg free, dairy free plan to help me get an idea of different meals. I have low carbed on and off for years, but it is VERY difficult not being able to have eggs. Anyway, it's nice to see that others are eating the Maria way, and have experienced benefits because of it. I plan to start my 7 day plan soon, just waiting for a couple of the ingredients to arrive from Amazon.
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote