Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tttmom View Post
Just thought I'd jump in here too. I posted on the "other plans" a few weeks ago, asking if anyone was doing the Maria Keto-Adapted, and so far no responses. Anyway, I just purchased the Keto-Adapted book, and it makes perfect sense to me. Our whole family has lots of food sensitivities, so I did purchase her 7 day egg free, dairy free plan to help me get an idea of different meals. I have low carbed on and off for years, but it is VERY difficult not being able to have eggs. Anyway, it's nice to see that others are eating the Maria way, and have experienced benefits because of it. I plan to start my 7 day plan soon, just waiting for a couple of the ingredients to arrive from Amazon.
Maria's way is pretty much nutritional ketosis/LCHF/keto, so check out the nutritional ketosis subforum for support: Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 8/27/14...166.6/161.3/125
WOE: Whole30 as of 8/27/14
Ok thank you!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #33
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I find the topic of gut health quite interesting and there have been a lot of progress in the science world of late. My 'go to guy' on the topic is Chris Kresser. He is smart and is pretty good relaying the info. I must add that I don't agree with him on all topics (much like pretty much anyone).
I like him, too.

I finally got around to ordering The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance & am looking forward to reading it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #34
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'm curious about Maria's new book but I'm not curious enough to buy it. I have checked out her site a bit & enjoy reading it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm curious about Maria's new book but I'm not curious enough to buy it. I have checked out her site a bit & enjoy reading it.
Honestly - most of what is in the book is what is posted on her blog, it's just all in one place.

I think that will be the case with the new Keto Adapted recipe book
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I got the book because I like reading about LC and learning more. Also, I like to expand my library, LOL
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #37
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Just thought I'd jump in here too. I posted on the "other plans" a few weeks ago, asking if anyone was doing the Maria Keto-Adapted, and so far no responses. Anyway, I just purchased the Keto-Adapted book, and it makes perfect sense to me. Our whole family has lots of food sensitivities, so I did purchase her 7 day egg free, dairy free plan to help me get an idea of different meals. I have low carbed on and off for years, but it is VERY difficult not being able to have eggs. Anyway, it's nice to see that others are eating the Maria way, and have experienced benefits because of it. I plan to start my 7 day plan soon, just waiting for a couple of the ingredients to arrive from Amazon.
Well now, that is what I wanted to hear. I have all of those sensitivities, and while yes I can eat meat and vegetables and salad, I do like to make "things" from time to time. I will check it out. Thank you.

I just went over to her blog and immediately found an error in grammar. I know it doesn't take away from her message, but that kind of thing is like nails on a chalkboard to read from someone that makes their living writing.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
so I did purchase her 7 day egg free, dairy free plan to help me get an idea of different meals. I have low carbed on and off for years, but it is VERY difficult not being able to have eggs. Anyway, it's nice to see that others are eating the Maria way, and have experienced benefits because of it. I plan to start my 7 day plan soon, just waiting for a couple of the ingredients to arrive from Amazon.
Where did you find it? I looked on her site and didn't see it and a general googling brought me back here.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #39
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Where did you find it? I looked on her site and didn't see it and a general googling brought me back here.
I think I found it. Is it with her regular plans, but you choose whatever "free" you want? I found dairy-free, but not egg-free. Am I missing something?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 8/27/14...166.6/161.3/125
WOE: Whole30 as of 8/27/14
Hi Gina,
I just went back to her website to look and see where I found it, and it looks like they've changed it since I purchased mine. There used to be an egg and dairy free option. I'm sure she still has all those files, you should email her and see if she will still send them to you. They are good about returning emails if you have any questions. Also, the Keto-Adapted book has quite a few recipes with options to sub in coconut cream, coconut milk and almond milk. My Art of Healthy Eating: Slow Cooker book arrived yesterday too and I love it! Plenty of ideas in there for people like us, who have all kinds of food intolerances.
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #41
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi Gina,
I just went back to her website to look and see where I found it, and it looks like they've changed it since I purchased mine. There used to be an egg and dairy free option. I'm sure she still has all those files, you should email her and see if she will still send them to you. They are good about returning emails if you have any questions. Also, the Keto-Adapted book has quite a few recipes with options to sub in coconut cream, coconut milk and almond milk. My Art of Healthy Eating: Slow Cooker book arrived yesterday too and I love it! Plenty of ideas in there for people like us, who have all kinds of food intolerances.
Thank you. I'll try that.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

There are also tons of menus on the ibreatheimhungry blog. Really great for some good ideas, and its free...
Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
I love the recipes that I have tried from Maria's website. I did get some of her ebooks. I found I do not like recipe ebooks!

I was on her website looking at recipes and noticed under the Twice-Baked Cauliflower it said

Serve with Cabin Chicken: recipe in (one of her cookbooks, can't remember the name).

I registered on her forum and asked her about that recipe as I can not find it in the cookbook she said it was in. She answered back it was a typo. Now in place of the cookbook name, it says Coming Soon!

I also saw a recipe that an ingredient was savory. I think 1 tb savory. I asked her about that and have not heard anything. I guess I should go and see if she changed it.

I Breath I'm Hungry is a great site. She has even been posting keto menu plans for that last 5 or 6 weeks. She gives you the recipes, the grocery list and steps in preparing. It is all on her blog. No money asked for.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
So is anyone here actually DOING Maria's Way? I'd like diet protocols to check it out b4 investing in the book Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism. The new Keto-Adapted bk appears to be rehashing of same old, same old acc to reviewers but the Secrets bk seems to be the foundational bk.
Im familiar with lowcarb and have done it, but in a very generous-carb plan Miracle Metabolism. So you can be pretty abbreviated in your description.
Some questions I have---I know she only allows about 6 or 7 veggies the 1st 2-4wks. what ate they? what and when can u add in more? does she ever eat fruit? i know she is grainfree. is she beanfree also? (besides some chickpea flour in her recipes) how long is dairy forbidden or is just if u find urself intolerant or not losing?
Thanx!
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hélène View Post
So is anyone here actually DOING Maria's Way? I'd like diet protocols to check it out b4 investing in the book Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism. The new Keto-Adapted bk appears to be rehashing of same old, same old acc to reviewers but the Secrets bk seems to be the foundational bk.
Im familiar with lowcarb and have done it, but in a very generous-carb plan Miracle Metabolism. So you can be pretty abbreviated in your description.
Some questions I have---I know she only allows about 6 or 7 veggies the 1st 2-4wks. what ate they? what and when can u add in more? does she ever eat fruit? i know she is grainfree. is she beanfree also? (besides some chickpea flour in her recipes) how long is dairy forbidden or is just if u find urself intolerant or not losing?
Thanx!

The only info book I would get of hers at this point honestly is Keto Adapted. It rehashes a lot of the old but is updated info from the books based on what she has learned. It can be confusing if you read her older books and newer books because honestly, they contradict each other so I would start with the newer. And even further than that - 99% of what is in keto adapted is also on her blog (literally word by word) so if you read that, you have most of the info.

She lists the veggies in keto adapted (I think) - I don't know them all but i'm pretty sure celery and cabbage are on it. She does not eat fruit (believes there is too much sugar). Pretty sure she is bean free.

She says to stay dairy free for 30 days and then way yourself the day before you introduce - introduce it and weigh yourself the day after. If you had a gain after introducing it then you have an intolerance and you should continue not eating it. Honestly, I can't eliminate heavy whipping cream but notice a difference when eating cheese and not eating cheese.

She is hardcore with ratios - says to stay 1200-1400 calories if you want to lose weight but make sure the ratios are 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. She uses total carbs and not net carbs.

Hope this helps
Old 03-16-2014, 04:29 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I know i can not stay this way forever, nothing is worth losing fruit lol...or dairy (fullfat cheese & plain fullfat yogurt/kefir)... but i def could do it for a few months to heal my body more so my metab works again. I also dont buy the paleo/primal crap. I disagree that is how early man ate. but thats another discussion
It's interesting she doesnt allow for body needs to determine ur caloric intake...def screws up the ratios as far as -- a 200# or 300# person would eat the same amount of protein as a 150# person?? or even carbs?
Have u figured out why she contradicts herself? i mean i know she used to like flax and now says its bad, something simple like that i can get (and i disagree with her on that particular thing) but other things -- do u see why she's contradicting herself?
I have read most her blog but its disorganized as far as a plan to implement (intentionally so, probably) so i'm going to buy a book. now i guess i rly have to buy 2, damnt. i wish she'd just do updates, revisions online (locked maybe?) so ppl wudnt have to keep buying bks but Metabolism Miracle does the same thing; u have to buy every bk the author comes out with so u get the updated info for the plan. Nothing seriously big like with maria but enough helpful stuff its worth buying the book.
Which of Maria's ckbks is a best overall one? I dont rly need anymore sweets & treats recipes myself.
THANK YOU!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

No - she does follow protein numbers based on weight - her recommendations are "Try to shoot for 0.5 (if you have metabolic syndrome) to 0.7 (if not) times your lean body mass in grams of protein a day. So for example, if you are 150 and 25% body fat that is 112 pounds lean mass. If metabolic syndrome (0.5*112) try to get 56g of protein a day or less. If not (0.7*112), try to get 78g of protein a day or less"

Honestly, if you are looking for a plan you won't find it in her books. Even her books recommend for you to buy one of her plans.

I think her contradictions come because she really just uses other people's information and pulls it together (she reminds be of a review of other information vs creating her own information). So, as she is reading more and learning more she changes her opinions on things.

With that being said, I do think she has good information and appreciate her opinions.

Again, you won't get a plan from her unless you buy an actual plan. It's not in any of the books so if that is what you are looking for, you won't find it.

I don't use any of her cookbooks.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

I think you have to consider that this is her job, and she has to make a living out of her blog and her books and her plans. She is supporting her family with it. Make of that what you will, at least she is enterprising.

I have her Keto Adapted book, and I like it. It does not tell you what to eat every day for every meal, but most LC and Keto type plans don't do that either.

If you want a specific plan, go to the ibreatheimhungry blog. The author posts weekly menu plans.

xx
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

i do very much consider its her job and she is entitled to a profit.
I dont need menus. i just want the plan, the protocols. i can go from there. im getting her book. thanx!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I too have been checking out her blog and have been following a lot of her ideas. I did m own research for supplements but I am loving EVERY SINGLE RECIPE of hers that I have tried. I also looked up Ruled Keto....first blog topic was chocolate covered bacon I may have found a new home
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

i eat bacon frozen ~blush~
one time i thot if i freeze it i wont eat all the leftovers. i'll have to thaw it.
nah
i just popped it in my mouth ONCE n i was gone. its only a tiny bit better heated up! omg i love bacon, just a piece here & there makes me ...happy
i breathe im hungry (keto diet) has 4 layer bacon mocha cake--i kid u not =:0
the bacons just crumbled and stuck to the outside frosting like coconut would be on a cream cake but still, u gotta see her bacon cones with mocha ice cream in them sitting on top the cake!!!
all keto food WOW
Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

anyway wat ive been doing lately is high, high vegs. like aiming for 9c a DAY, every day. alot of cruciferous vegs and spinach included. i make a protein shake with kale in it even. eggs, flax, chocolate/mocha or berries and cream. its very good.
and low and behold, ive lost a inch or so off my fat belly. amaaaaaaaaazing. i will keep doing this even tho i feel like a rabbit right now. it does help with cravings becuz of the potassium. i even want veggies sometimes lol.
im still lowcarbing and high fat and moderate protein. mite go to low protein for a couple wks to rest my liver further, but i just cant go lowered fat or i'll get hungry i know!
soooo excited to see some results as my wgt is surely not budging any.
if i can just wait out my healing so my body can burn fat...all u young ppl on here--dont get old lol
or at least heal ur metab NOW while u can still do it in a reasonable amt of time; ive been 3 mos and lost a whopping 5 lbs :0
Old 09-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eclark53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post
Her blog and recipes look interesting. Not sure I would pay $100 to have someone whose main credentials seem to be calling herself a "nutrition expert" tell me what supplements I need without ever having met me or done a health check. You can find the same generic info in Dr. Atkins books or the Eades, etc.

Her other packages at $250-$550 seem to include a lot of info that you can find for free, but I know sometimes its convenient to have things packaged up for you. Also you get her e-cookbooks.

I just in general object to people claiming LC is their way, so the "Maria's Way" sort of bugs me - like she discovered LC. But if it sells, why not I guess.

I'd rather pay $5 or less for an old copy of Dr. Atkins book and get the same info. A lot of her recipes seem to be available for free on her blog.

Well would it surprise you to know that most of these new authors on the Ketogenic diet past employees of Dr. Robert Atkins
eclark53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eclark53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean View Post
Mmmmm.....bacon.

Sorry SnowAngel. Didn't mean to be negative. Whatever gets people LCing works for me. I just want people to know you don't have to spend $100-$500 to get going. Atkins outlines a lot of info you need about supplements, and you can pick up his books for next to nothing.

Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope you will tell us about how the recipes are working out for you!

K.

Dollar Tree had Atkins Diet Revolution a while back for $1.
eclark53 is offline   Reply With Quote