Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I'm confused. You are supposed to drink some flavorless oil or ghee at least once per day. What about food? Do you eat more, less, low carb, what? I"m sorry but this is a very foreign concept to me and I'm missing something I think. The oil is flavorless, so it gives your body calories but DOESN'T stimulate the reward/pleasure center of the brain like a cookie would. So...that helps your brain...with it's...leptin levels, whatever that means. It does sound crazy at first glance, but so did low carb, so I won't dismiss it totally, but I agree with Avid, I'd have to be pretty desperate.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
See I'm just not getting the idea that one would have to be desperate to try this. It is so much easier than, say, lowering carbs or calories or volume of food or fat. Maybe it's the food addict in me talking, but adding something could never be as hard as depriving myself of something. And it's tasteless, so why would that be so bad?

Anyhow... the theory behind it is that it is supposed to roll back your weight set point. So, you will be less hungry and not want to eat as much. You can do shangri-la without a particular diet plan, just eat as much as you'd like and you should naturally eat less and lose weight (if it works). I am doing it with low carb bc I think low carb is good for me.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
So I would eat normally....but in between meals I drink a tablespoon of oil. Would that be twice a day or three times? What kinds of oil is recommended?
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I have found things that work for me, but they seem not to take care of the whole problem. Like, ketosis is great for energy and it does suppress my appetite somewhat, but after a few months the appetite suppression seems to wear off a bit or not be enough for me. IF'ing is great bc it gets me out of the habit of wanting to eat all the time and it's so nice not to have to think about food a whole lot. But after a few months of that I start having intrusive thoughts about food. Gymnema is awesome for some uses -- I am so happy that I have it on hand for parties and other situations that I would find tempting. And I do think that it also does some appetite suppression and it helps with my blood sugar. But it's hard to get myself to use it all the time.

So, I am not where you are in the journey. I haven't figured out what it is I need to feel comfortably free of my addiction. If I had, I doubt I'd be trying new things either. I do hope that I'm at least progressing...
It has taken several decades (of dieting trial & error combined with so much research I was afraid I was going to break Google) to arrive at this point...and, even after all that time, I know that I am lucky to be where I am. Most people never get to this point.

I know what things can derail me and cause all sorts of problems all over again - if I let them. I have learned (I hope) not to make the same mistakes I made in the past. After being in denial for years I've made some very hard nutritional choices only to find them easy to live with.

I'm currently proving that even extreme stress won't cause me to abandon my healthy lifestyle. A year ago similar stress caused me to completely fall apart. I swore then it would never happen again.

I hate that the solution is different for each of us. There is no finding the answers in the Cliffs Notes version. It can be like fighting a war with an army of one against an Evil Universe.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Check out Seth Robert's blog, his book, and here is a video. I think he said they sort of made fun of him in the spot. I like it

He's a Berkley psych prof.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-18-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

...if you think about it, his theory seems to explain why diets work for a while, then quit working. You change your food and it takes a while for your brain to catch on...

But this will work forever. There is no flavor for the brain to make associations with (the video says this)

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-18-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
It has taken several decades (of dieting trial & error combined with so much research I was afraid I was going to break Google) to arrive at this point...and, even after all that time, I know that I am lucky to be where I am. Most people never get to this point.

I know what things can derail me and cause all sorts of problems all over again - if I let them. I have learned (I hope) not to make the same mistakes I made in the past. After being in denial for years I've made some very hard nutritional choices only to find them easy to live with.

I'm currently proving that even extreme stress won't cause me to abandon my healthy lifestyle. A year ago similar stress caused me to completely fall apart. I swore then it would never happen again.

I hate that the solution is different for each of us. There is no finding the answers in the Cliffs Notes version. It can be like fighting a war with an army of one against an Evil Universe.
I'm sorry you're having stressful times!

I know what you mean about breaking google. Heh! I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news that it took you so long to get to where you are. It does confirm that there are no easy answers. One thing that I seem to have going for me lately is that I am really working at this every single day. I'm not having days or weeks with my head buried in the sand like I used to and I can't imagine going back to that way of life. That is a sea change and I'm banking on it making all the difference. So, I am making progress.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
He may realy be on to something there. Does anyone rember the classic experiement with pablio's dogs? Where they rang a bell right when they fed the dogs. After a while
the found that just ringing the bell made the dogs salavate. I just wonder if something
like that may hapen to us. We see and smell that donut and perhaps our pancresis is
pumping out insulin even before we eat the darn thing. Oh! I just loved the little note
in the Google vidio clip " if the chocolate melts in your hand you arn't eating it fast enough"
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Avid- I don't see nothing desperate about taking unflavored tbs of fat 2 times a day. Obviously if you have normal appetite and lose weight easily on LC nobody is asking you to drink the oil. Rubidoux started the discussion because she was curious about it. There are lots of lots people who follow SLD. Just check the amazon reviews of the book alone.

jmc305- you eat normal food that you always eat and add 2-3 tbs of unflavored oil a day. The dosage depends on your weight. I take 2 tbs of ghee. If you are over 200 lb you may need 3 tbs. It could be CO, MCT, refined walnut oil, extra light olive oil. I take ghee with my nose nose clipped because ghee has flavor. Google Seth Robert Shangri La Diet forum. Lots of info there.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-19-2013 at 04:50 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I glanced at some articles on google about Seth Roberts' plan. It seems the oil is supposed to be taken in the middle of a two-hour timeslot where no flavored food is eaten.

So if you finished breakfast by 8, you could take oil at 9 and then have coffee at 10, but you'd not have anything with flavor in that 8-10 am window. And you'd either take all of your daily oil at that time, or you'd carve out another 2 hour slot with no flavors consumed later on as well. And you'd eat your normal food to satisfaction. Is that correct?
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's right, Emel.

ETA: the 2 hr window is minimum. I sometimes do 3-4 hr window (1.5 to 2 hr before and after eating).

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 08-19-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #42
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #43

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
That's right, Emel.

ETA: the 2 hr window is minimum. I sometimes do 3-4 hr window (1.5 to 2 hr before and after eating).
I'd love to experiment with this but I'd be unhappy without my periodic decaf breaks. I drink decaf all morning and into the afternoon.

One thing I read that might work for me is that it's fine to take the oil when you wake up in the middle of the night, which I do.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
One thing I read that might work for me is that it's fine to take the oil when you wake up in the middle of the night, which I do.
Yes, I read some people take it at night.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Great thread...very interesting.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trinigirl
Stats: 160/158/145/139/132
WOE: Moderate Carbs.
Start Date: April 1st 2013
Interesting thread
Trinigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So I just have to say...I read this thread and thought what the hay, I'll try it. I took one tbsp of MCT oil and went on about the day. I was out doing errands and decided to stop for a bite to eat. Usually I eat all of my steak at this certain deli I frequent. I didn't get half way through and literally couldn't eat the rest. I was not even thinking about the MCT oil that I had taken earlier until I was driving down the road. I always finish my food so this was very strange indeed for me. Hopefully it will keep having this effect on me.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Very interesting, Cfine! Today is my third day and I'm going up to 2.5 T, from 2 T yesterday. I have not had a huge appetite, but not super obvious appetite suppression, either. I have lost 2 pounds since I started, but today weighed the same as yesterday.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cfine-Yes, exactly!!!

Isn't it weird? I'm def a clean the plate girl. I've actually prepared meals and served my daughter, while sticking mine in the fridge, uninterested.

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-19-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awesome, Cfine

I got the AS after 1st dosage. At first I thought it was placebo effect but it is now 19 days and my portions sizes don't look like anything I used to eat before.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #51

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
So I just have to say...I read this thread and thought what the hay, I'll try it. I took one tbsp of MCT oil and went on about the day. I was out doing errands and decided to stop for a bite to eat. Usually I eat all of my steak at this certain deli I frequent. I didn't get half way through and literally couldn't eat the rest. I was not even thinking about the MCT oil that I had taken earlier until I was driving down the road. I always finish my food so this was very strange indeed for me. Hopefully it will keep having this effect on me.
This was me on my first day too. I only took 1 TBL of oil too. It is amazing the effect it has Right now I still in vacation mode of eating whatever I want, so I am not eating that great food. But I am taking the oil, and having great appetite suppression! I am surprised because I can eat a lot and I don't want to. This is great!
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

I wasn't sure as of this morning, but now I'm pretty sure I'm feeling it. I haven't eaten anything since about 11 am and now it's 6 pm and my dh just called to see if we'd wait for him to eat (it's our anniversary today ) and I was like, "sure, whenever..." I'm not hungry! Normally I only eat once a day in the evening, but had a low and had to eat this morning. Usually when that happens I can't think of anything but food all day long and today I have had like NO thoughts about food! Woot!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn and Jayne,

Woot!!!!

Seriously, it is great that it kicked in so fast. It does increase over time.

I noticed today that I didn't think about the 85% chocolate. There was a catered lunch at work today with salmon and roast. It wasn't for us, it was for an important group of visitors, but there is always too much. I took a plate, but ended up just putting it in a to go container.

I did drink the sparkling water
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #54
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Wow! Great to hear!

Now to see how it helps you eat healthy meals & stay in control.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I only ate about half of my dinner tonight. I thought I was hungry about am hour ago so I fixed a hot dog. By the time I had drank a glass of water and cooked them, I wasn't hungry anymore. I ate a cheese stick just to up my calories a bit for the day.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cfine,

That is really cool.

I have been experimenting with crazy spicing for my daughter since she refuses to go the bland route that Stephan Guyenet recommends (not overtly, but silent revolts where I find bland food left uneaten and upon questioning find she ate out instead). Seth Roberts (author) says to spice your food in unusual ways to trick the brain as well. The brain hasn't made flavor associations with these flavors and so hunger central doesn't know to tell you to eat up. I blew this off when I first read it, but Ouizoid says it works, especially for super tasters that can discern flavor from any kind of oil.

Oh, he cites that people tend to lose weight when travelling because the food is strange and the brain doesn't understand the flavor-calorie equation yet, so you get a free ride eating whatever with a reduced appetite.

I just made an oxtail soup (it has been stewing in the crockpot all day) with the Chinese five spice plus green curry paste (as well as the thai idea of putting a little rice vinegar in the soup), a lot of basil (the way you eat pho, but with no noodles), and I added a teeny bit of sesame oil and dash of tabasco for flavor. It is unusual tasting, but it was really, really good. I had a little bit, but will leave it for my daughter. She crashed (college student taking summer schedule).

I had some wild caught salmon and seaweed (for the iodine/thyroid boost).

I have no interest in the catered food. I will probably make some fancy omelet with it in the morning for my daughter. I'll have to figure out another weird spice combo without ruining the food!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-19-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cfine, Jane and Dawn
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
So are you able to drink anything in the hour before and after the oil? I was doing some reading and saw that some follow the oil with sugar water...may not be the exact same version you are talking about, but there are a few versions out there. I am curious as I add coconut oil to my food and coffee but this is a different approach.

I would like to try but am cutting out coconut oil til next blood test to see if it was affecting my ldl...if it is not the culprit I may try this.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have read that some people chase the oil with sugar water. Some use sugar water as the flavorless calories. Some mix the two It does work.

This is crazy because sugar is bad for your health. Seth Roberts no longer recommends it. Some ways of hacking the system are not good for you.

There is even a guy on the Seth Roberts forum that lost a lot of weight drinking coke nose-clipped. Flavor associations are only made through the sense of smell per Seth.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The only thing you can drink in 2 hr of flavorless window is water. You can't even brush you teeth in that window because of the flavor in toothpaste.