Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Perfect Health - AUGUST

New thread for all of our PHD'ers to gather.

The PERFECT HEALTH Plan...

Dr. Jaminet's recommendations:

•About 3 pounds of plant foods per day, including: ◦About 1 pound of safe starches, such as white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and taro;
◦About 1 pound of sugary in-ground vegetables (such as beets or carrots), fruits, and berries;
◦Low-calorie vegetables to taste, including fermented vegetables and green leafy vegetables.

•One-half to one pound per day of meat or fish, which should include organ meats, and should be drawn primarily from: ◦ruminants (beef, lamb, goat);
◦birds (especially duck and wild or naturally raised birds);
◦Shellfish and freshwater and marine fish.

•Low omega-6 fats and oils from animal or tropical plant sources, to taste. Good sources include: ◦butter, sour cream, beef tallow, duck fat;
◦coconut milk or oil
◦palm oil, palm kernel oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut butter, almond butter, cashew butter

•Acids to taste, especially citric acid (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice), lactic acid from fermented or pickled vegetables, vinegars, tannic acids from wine, and tomatoes.
•Broths or stocks made from animal bones and joints.
•Snacks or desserts from our pleasure foods: fruits and berries, nuts, alcohol, chocolate, cream, and fructose-free sweeteners like dextrose or rice syrup.

By weight, the diet works out to about 3/4 plant foods, 1/4 animal foods. By calories, it works out to about 600 carb calories, primarily from starches; around 300 protein calories; and fats supply a majority (50-60%) of daily calories.

In the shadow of the apple are foods forbidden because of their high toxin content. Notably:
•Do not eat cereal grains — wheat, barley, oats, corn — or foods made from them — bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, oatmeal. The exception is white rice, which we count among our “safe starches.” Rice noodles, rice crackers, and the like are fine, as are gluten-free foods made from a mix of rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch.
•Do not eat calorie-rich legumes. Peas and green beans are fine. Soy and peanuts should be absolutely excluded. Beans might be acceptable with suitable preparation, but we recommend avoiding them.
•Do not eat foods with added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Do not drink anything that contains sugar: healthy drinks are water, tea, and coffee.
•Polyunsaturated fats should be a small fraction of the diet (~4% of total calories). To achieve this, do not eat seed oils such as soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, or the like.

We highly recommend certain foods for their micronutrients. These include liver, kidney, egg yolks, seaweeds, shellfish, fermented vegetables, and bone broths.
We also recommend augmenting the diet with certain supplements. These nutrients are deficient in modern diets due to removal of minerals from drinking water by treatment, depletion of minerals from soil by agriculture, or modern lifestyles that deprive us of vitamin D by indoor living.

We recommend tweaking the diet for certain diseases. Neurological disorders often benefit from a diet that is ketogenic; other conditions may benefit from lower carb diets. These variations are discussed in the book.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Our daily food plate should resemble~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Food-Plate-600dpi.jpg (38.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Supplemental Foods

Quote:
We recommend eating these “supplemental foods” on a regular schedule:

3 egg yolks daily, 5 yolks daily for women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant (for choline, folate, vitamin A)
A bowl of bone and joint broth soup, 3 days per week (for calcium, phosphorus, and collagen)
Vegetables such as tomato, avocado, potato, sweet potato, banana, green leafy vegetables, and seaweeds such as dulse, daily (for potassium)
Dark chocolate (>70%), as desired
¼ lb beef or lamb liver, weekly (copper, vitamin A, folate, choline)
fish, shellfish, eggs, and kidneys, weekly (for selenium)
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon red palm oil, weekly (vitamin E)
Quote:
Daily Supplements

These are supplements Jaminet recommends be taken daily:

Sunshine and vitamin D3 as needed to achieve serum 25OHD of 40 ng/ml.
Vitamin K2 100 mcg or more
Magnesium 200 mg
Iodine at least 225 mcg, recommend 1 mg
Vitamin C 1 g
OPTIONAL: Lithium 2.5 mg – a 5 mg tablet cut into halves
OPTIONAL: Silicon 5 mg
ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT EAT BEEF OR LAMB LIVER: Copper 2 mg
Adding these supplemental foods regularly will ensure that you are eating optimally for your health. Let food be thy medicine and medicine by thy food.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Thanks for getting us started again, Sunday.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Well hi how friends! Wanted to share this recipe that a lot of my friends have been making and losing a ton of weight with this:

Take 4 Organic Oolong Tea bags and put them into a coffee to go cup and fill to the brim with boiling water. Let it steep until it becomes cool. Take the tea bags out, but don't squeeze the bags. Add to this concentrate a pinch or two of cayene, 2 pinches of salt, and stevia. Zing this up in whatever blender you have..this is your conentrate. Pour the concentrate into a 2 quart glass mason jar and fill to the top with ice. Put a top on it and shake it, taste it and adjust as needed (more cayene or cinammon, etc.)...lovely, and so refreshing.

Warming tho...if you let your kids taste it, you turn around and it is gone...it is soooo yummy! I promise
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I need a new avitar
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello friends!

Does anyone know where Lindy is? I hope she is just busy canning, fermenting, and brewing.

I have been so overwhelmed for the week that I really don't have time to say anything. Had a big project on the main job that I am retiring from and really it takes everything that is in me to crunch numbers and spew out fiscal year end budgets. I am OFFICIALLY done and done.

Now, I can concentrate on the MEGA renovation that has been my life for the last 2 years. If I live through the grand opening, I will be able to be on here every day.
And live life perfectly in the Perfect Health way.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mama! Thank you so much for this recipe! Did you know that I take cayenne every single night before bed? It is a habit that I have followed since reading the books, "Cayenne Pepper Cures" and "Left for Dead". Both are simply unbelievable and yet so truly amazing! Truly, it is one more example of how we can heal our sickness with food and it is much less expensive than all of the prescriptions and doctors that we seek.

Mama & Cici,

Have either of you followed the little experiment that KeyTones and I have been doing? It is very simple and works with any food plan that you follow. I eat PHD and have been doing this with no hitches. I am officially down 7.3 in 10 days, but the best thing is that you never have to change the foods that you normally eat! Just be sure to add 1 shot of MCT oil 1 hour before eating. No flavors or spices during this hour. It is magical, I tell you! This is coming from the lady who does not lose weight easily.

Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting

Last edited by sunday; 08-02-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Thank you for the summary once again, Sunday!

I don't lose weight easily, either! I usually don't lose more than 15-20 pounds in a year of full-on trying. It is terribly exciting!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Sunday i remember you talking about this, but I don't have any MCT oil, I have a ton of coconut oil tho, would that work?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
Well hi how friends! Wanted to share this recipe that a lot of my friends have been making and losing a ton of weight with this:

Take 4 Organic Oolong Tea bags and put them into a coffee to go cup and fill to the brim with boiling water. Let it steep until it becomes cool. Take the tea bags out, but don't squeeze the bags. Add to this concentrate a pinch or two of cayene, 2 pinches of salt, and stevia. Zing this up in whatever blender you have..this is your conentrate. Pour the concentrate into a 2 quart glass mason jar and fill to the top with ice. Put a top on it and shake it, taste it and adjust as needed (more cayene or cinammon, etc.)...lovely, and so refreshing.

Warming tho...if you let your kids taste it, you turn around and it is gone...it is soooo yummy! I promise
I forgot the vanilla add some vanilla to it!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, coconut oil will work!!! Grassfed Butter/gee, light olive oil works as well.

Be sure to hold your nose when consuming it and then chase it down with warm water. The trick is tasteless calories. It tricks the metabolism somewhat and helps to burn fat.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey ladies, no I have not immigrated to Australia. Just been very busy with my life. Doing a lot more cooking and "doing" than before. Jenny w/Nikki and son John are in for a few days. Not staying with us (thank goodness) ha. So happy to see them.. Nikki is doing so well with her temper that it was a pure joy having them. I can't remember a better time. I think it's totally the kefir. Other DD Aimee said I have to back off on the kombucca and kefir. Driving her crazy. I DON'T mention it more than 6 or 8 times a day... Honestly. (well maybe more).
I've been doing so well. Making my plans for my fall garden. I'm going to hire a relative of Clint's to make the raised beds and fill up with potting soil. Then I'll take over.

I'm really pumped about the idea of buying a shed for the backyard for my stuff. A table for potting. A fridge and a chest freezer for my garden and any other things I can or freeze. And my crock pot for my bone broths. The one I have in mind is 12x16 and wired w/electricity. Love the thought.

Sunday, I have missed you. My friend at the other forum I visit also came looking for me. ha. I have been surfing through all the small sites on homesteading and planting gardens. Fun time!!! By the way, I have a ton of coconut oil so I will try the MCT method you spoke of. I obviously need it because I'm slowly putting on a little weight. Just a couple of lbs but I can tell I'm adding back some of the inches that I lost.

I'll be more diligent on checking in. Ladies, stay safe and happy.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, What a great visit and so happy about Nikki! Love that you are having fun with your new ventures!

I took 2 days off on the oil shots and I noticed that I didn't have an appetite although I was trying to eat over my cals. There really is something to this flavorless oil. Just so bizarre.

I am going to be touch and go this week on being able to be online, though I will definitely pop in at the end of the day. Have a great day PHDers!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello everyone! I am doing well. It is so miserable hot this week and working outside in the yard to prepare for our open house. Has me a bit frazzled.

I believe it was Lennie who introduced us to the Watermelon cake and I have been wanting to make one ever since she posted a photo around the 4th. Today one of our PHD girls posted this photo of the one she made and she said it was absolutely heavenly.

So, I decided this is what I will ask to be served with cold mini sub sandwiches and wraps at our "Open House" for all of the incoming freshman parents. Doesn't it look absolutely amazing? I am so wanting to taste.

Last edited by sunday; 08-05-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Hey ya'll I finally read thru all the pages of the link you had up Sunday on the tasteless foods. I have concluded that I would rather eat tasty food and be chubby Altho I will try to remember the coconut oil thing prior to meals. I did do it today, but only once. I did see that they recommend 2 times your weight in calories for oil. That means I can only do 2 tbsp. of co in a day. I can handle that.

I have been trying to lc PhD...I have "0" energy! I want to eat my small children, and I'm not a happy mama I don't know how people do it! I did learn something new doing lc tho....raw goat milk keifer only has 1 carb that is pretty exciting. Especially how I make mine. I usually let the whey begin to separate and then I call it done. My grain is ginormous...it is going to split any day now! I wonder how well it will ship? Anybody want a hunk of a healthy grain?

I have incorporated collagen in my smoothies too, altho I like the taste of it in my lemon water/ ACV concoction. I need to just thro in a few more things in that to make it an adrenal cocktail and get all the beneifits from that Hope everybody is having a good day and eating well Off to get happy...I tell my kids that, go get happy and come back...now they tell me mama GO GET HAPPY
Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
I need a new avitar
Oh yes,,,I got a new one all right
Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh mama, I am in love with your babies. So adorable!

Yes, I don't know how much oil I can take, it hasn't been too terrible or bothersome. But I decided to stick with only healthy foods, because I feel like I need everything PHD that I can get. I agree with Ouiz about bland and it don't intend to eat everything bland. However, my taters and most veggies are fine without seasoning.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I managed to get my boyfriend to try my butter spread as a margarine substitute. He likes it!

I got his margarine container away from him, dumped the garbage that was in it, and filled it with this:

Bring salted Kerrygold butter to room temp by cutting it up and dropping into food processor. Don't blend yet..,

Come back in a couple of hours when all soft and add 3/4 cup of extra light olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt (I don't like it this salty, but this is how salty his margarine was, bleh)

Blend and refrigerate for a couple of hours before using. Keep refrigerated to keep it from separating.

That's all!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm going to have to cut back my MCT oil too. I was restless trying to sleep and had side effects again. No evening dose!

I was tired until it kicked in. Sigh

Last edited by Key Tones; 08-06-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

had my first Kombucha today. Oh, my! Is this the crack of the health world? first sip. this is as good as champagne. glass done. I want more. ten minutes later, can't wait for tomorrow and my next dose. Where do I grt a scoby?

also bought MCT oil. Expensive little trip to the health food store.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
had my first Kombucha today. Oh, my! Is this the crack of the health world? first sip. this is as good as champagne. glass done. I want more. ten minutes later, can't wait for tomorrow and my next dose. Where do I grt a scoby?

also bought MCT oil. Expensive little trip to the health food store.
Cici, It is truly the wine of the health world. I ordered a scoby from a site that sells lots of goods, however, I think it was delivered to the wrong address. Usually, if you join a good Fermenter group folks will send them for free or very low cost. Funnest folks I ever met, brew the bucha.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A tidbit from Seth Robert's Blog. About half of this article are sentences that are links!

The Umami Hypothesis: We Need to Eat Microbes

I believe we need to eat plenty of microbes to be healthy, an idea I call the umami hypothesis. I have blogged about it many times. Here is an overview of those posts.

1. Psychological. We like foods with sour, umami, and complex tastes/flavors. My evolutionary explanation: these preferences increased microbe intake, which increased health. Fermentation, which increases microbes, easily produces all three of these characteristics. They are not easily produced otherwise (in the absence of lemon trees). As a result, until recently these three characteristics were correlated with the microbe content of food. For example, until recently, the more sour a food, the more microbes. Seeking out sourness caused us to eat foods with more microbes. It’s easy to see this correlation today. As milk becomes yogurt, it becomes more sour and more microbe-rich at the same time. As juice becomes vinegar, same thing. The Chinese character for sour connects it with fermentation. As meat ages, it gets a stronger umami flavor and becomes more microbe-rich. For example, umami in dry-cured hams increases with time. Umami flavor is produced by glutamate molecules. They increase in concentration when proteins break down into components. Nowadays meat is aged because it tastes better aged than fresh. The flavor improvement with age presumably caused our ancestors to age their meat. Microbes add complexity to flavor because they produce many byproducts. Many experiments support the idea that our food preferences are a guide to what we should eat. When children chose their own food, they turned out very healthy.

2. Food traditions. Fermented foods are found in huge variety in a wide range of culinary traditions. Sour fish soup. Aged cookie dough. This suggests they taste good for genetic reasons. Animals appear to like fermented foods — more evidence that this preference has an ancient genetic basis rather than a recent cultural one. Fermented oat husks. Eskimos eat “rotten” fish.

3. Benefits of probiotics (experimental evidence). Many experiments have found that children or adults given probiotics fare better than a control group. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Competitive cyclists — men benefited but women didn’t. Probiotics help Italian children with IBS. Probiotics reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia. Probiotics help preterm infants ward off necrotizing enterocolitis — reducing the death rate by more than half. Cheese with added bacteria stimulated the immune system of elderly subjects. A probiotic reduces sick days among employees of a large company. Probiotics reduce diarrhea and C. difficile infection among hospital patients. Probiotics prevented colds in children. Probiotics reduce/prevent diarrhea caused by antibiotics.

4. Benefits of fermented food (experimental evidence). An experiment found a big protective effect of Vitamin K2, which is found in much larger amounts in fermented foods than other foods. An experiment found that fermented bean paste is more protective against cancer when it is fermented longer. A review article about the anti-allergic effects of fermented foods. A book about the benefits of fermented foods cites hundreds of experimental studies. Fermented noni juice fights cancer in rats, apparently because it stimulated the immune system. Benefits of natto.

5. Hormesis. Small amounts of many “poisons” — chemicals or radiation in large amounts will kill you — produce big health improvements, especially less cancer. The usual explanation is that the small amounts of poison activate repair systems. The benefits of probiotics are easy to understand if the microbes in fermented foods activate the immune system. Introduction to radiation hormesis. Small amounts of radiation activate DNA repair. Moderate radon exposure associated with less lung cancer. Mortality of atomic bomb survivors in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Baltimore shipyard study. The implausibility of hormesis and more examples. Reviews of the vast evidence.

6. Bad effects of antibiotics. Fermented foods add microbes inside the body, antibiotics reduce them. Antibiotic use associated with higher risk of later infection. Mosquitos made microbe-free via antibiotics are more susceptible to infection than untreated mosquitos.

7. The Hygiene Hypothesis. The hygiene hypothesis is that exposure to dirt in childhood reduces childhood asthma and allergies. The author’s original idea was that the dirt caused infections. That didn’t seem to be true but many studies have found that living on a farm and similar experiences reduce childhood asthma and allergies. This supports the general idea that exposure to microbes improves immune function. Asthma and farm life. Maternal exposure to farms helps babies. Less allergic disorders among children in a polluted German city than in a clean one. Benefits from biodiversity around the house where you grow up. Review of the hygiene hypothesis. What was wrong with the original proposal.

8. Epidemiology. Many studies have found that people who eat specific fermented foods are healthier. Benefits of moderate drinking. Yogurt consumption associated with less allergies in Japanese schoolchildren. The later in life your family gets a refrigerator, the lower your chances of getting Crohn’s disease. Refrigeration reduces microbial growth.

9. N=1. Cases in which fermented foods improved one person’s health. Kombucha. Do fermented foods shorten colds? High-dose probiotic, but not several fermented foods, eliminated exercise-induced asthma. Kombucha eliminated heartburn. Probiotics cure extreme coughing fits in a young girl. Kefir improves digestion disrupted by antibiotics. Yogurt apparently reduces how long colds last. Yogurt reduces seasonal allergies. A four-year-old gets sick less often after she starts eating more yogurt. After eating lots of yogurt and acidophilus pearls, sinus congestion greatly reduced. Soon after a big increase in fermented food and probiotic consumption, sinus congestion went down 90%. Kombucha improves bee health. Acid reflux cured by kombucha. Stonyfield yogurt employee gets sick less often, maybe because she is eating much more yogurt. Professor of immunology starts taking probiotic and yogurt, stops needing asthma inhaler.

10. Unusual remedies. Several unusual remedies produce effects inside the body similar or identical to the effects of fermented foods. Bee stings. Hookworm infection (also here). After parasites greatly reduced on a remote island, allergies greatly increase.

11. The importance of gut bacteria. They must come from outside — our bodies do not make them. They protect us against disease. Japanese but not Americans have gut bacteria that digest seaweed. Babies with diaper rash had less diverse fecal bacteria than babies without diaper rash. William Parker, a professor of medicine, has proposed that the evolutionary reason for our appendix is that to allows quick repopulation of gut bacteria when they are lost due to diarrhea.

12. Miscellaneous. High fermented-food consumption in Japan, the healthiest country in the world. Japanese men who smoke have considerably less lung cancer than American men who smoke the same amount. Filthy socks smell like kimchi, in spite of vastly different bacteria, suggesting the existence of a detection system that lumps different bacteria together. Benefits of bacteria found in soil. The value of readiness in another domain (military). The health benefits of smoking. Bacteria-free mice have malfunctioning immune systems. Irradiated food (irradiated enough to kill microbes) makes cats sick. Wild mice with more parasites have better functioning immune systems. Analogy with pagophagia (ice chewing).

Disagreement with my view includes the following. To prevent asthma you should avoid all triggers, says one group. Health claims for probiotics were dismissed by scientists at the European Food Safety Agency. A UCLA professor of medicine who specializes in infectious disease says we “will have to” produce more antibiotics to reduce infectious disease. According to one writer, all “modern sane eating guidelines” say “fresh is better”.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, so very interesting KT.

I have read many health benefits of fermentation, but the asthma is a new one for me. I am a believer and I have noticed that the longer I drink the kombucha, I really miss the drink when I do not have any.

Quote:
9. N=1. Cases in which fermented foods improved one person’s health. Kombucha. Do fermented foods shorten colds? High-dose probiotic, but not several fermented foods, eliminated exercise-induced asthma. Kombucha eliminated heartburn. Probiotics cure extreme coughing fits in a young girl. Kefir improves digestion disrupted by antibiotics. Yogurt apparently reduces how long colds last. Yogurt reduces seasonal allergies. A four-year-old gets sick less often after she starts eating more yogurt. After eating lots of yogurt and acidophilus pearls, sinus congestion greatly reduced. Soon after a big increase in fermented food and probiotic consumption, sinus congestion went down 90%. Kombucha improves bee health. Acid reflux cured by kombucha. Stonyfield yogurt employee gets sick less often, maybe because she is eating much more yogurt. Professor of immunology starts taking probiotic and yogurt, stops needing asthma inhaler.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Although, I have become endeared to all PHD foods and supps, I am still having difficulty with liver. I eat it but not without a bit of trepidation. I decided to read up more about liver and remembered Chris Kresser saying that liver is our super nutrient and that when we are sickly or battling illness, liver will do more for us than any fruits/veggies can by a longshot. That is a powerful statement. Liver is similar to taking a super potent multi-vitamin. In many cultures, they only eat the organ meat and give the muscle meat which most Americans eat to their dogs. Although, liver blows any fruit or vegetable out of the water in terms of nutrient-density, fruits & veggies are essential and a one pound per day is the recommendation of Jaminet. So, the two combined are golden.

From Kresser~

Quote:
A popular objection to eating liver is the belief that the liver is a storage organ for toxins in the body. While it is true that one of the liver’s role is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons), it does not store these toxins. Toxins the body cannot eliminate are likely to accumulate in the body’s fatty tissues and nervous systems. On the other hand, the liver is a is a storage organ for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These nutrients provide the body with some of the tools it needs to get rid of toxins.

Remember that it is essential to eat meat and organ meats from animals that have been raised on fresh pasture without hormones, antibiotics or commercial feed. Pasture-raised animal products are much higher in nutrients than animal products that come from commercial feedlots. For example, meat from pasture-raised animals has 2-4 times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from commercially-raised animals. And pasture-raised eggs have been shown to contain up to 19 times more omega-3 fatty acids than supermarket eggs! In addition to these nutritional advantages, pasture-raised animal products benefit farmers, local communities and the environment.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and liver is very inexpensive which came as quite a surprise. I found a package of hormone free grassfed liver for less than $5 at Sprouts and it is enough to feed me for a bit more than a month.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, I am going to try and make the butter spread. I love butter, but don't ever spread it on anything because it is hard as a rock. I will let it melt on a baked tater or over hot veggies though.

So funny, I made homemade gluten free lemon poppyseed muffins and they were scrumptious but I gave up on spreading butter on one, because as you know it doesn't.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, I hope you like the butter spread! Do go easy on the salt I really don't think it is needed at all.

Oh my GOODNESS I finally got around to crock-potting the oxtails in my freezer. Wow, they are good and I didn't put any salt on them. Super, super fatty! I have all this broth too, but I haven't tried it. I just heard ox tail pho is so amazing, which a restaurant was out of, so I had to buy some ox tails when I was at the Mexican grocer. I had no idea!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey ladies, looking good. Had a really good day today. Not doing much, just chilling.
Cici, way to go on the "buch".
Jenny said that Niki and John (brother) both are drinking kombucha and kefir daily. So good for them. I'm so pumped about it. Jenny said that the Austin Whole Foods have a new section. You bring your container and buy the kombucha by the gallon or qt or whatever. Bet it's at least $10 a gallon. I make mine for under $1. to all.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Can't wait to get started, I have to pay $3 for a 16 oz bottle. I'm going to grow my own scoby. Wondering if the flavored kombucha is okay for that.