Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
does anyone juice? What are som good juicers?

midline not Rolls Royce.
DH wants to look into it after seeing a documentary.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karai
Stats: 262/158/140
WOE: BFC-cycling
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
midline not Rolls Royce.
DH wants to look into it after seeing a documentary.
I use the Nutribullet. It extracts all of the materials into juice...no pulp left behind. I use it for juicing, shakes, chopping and milling. The cup with lids are invaluable for on-the-go.

Karai
Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Formerlychubchick

It looks just like my magic bullet! Are the cups big enough for a recipe like (for example)

Very Berry Mango Blend
˝ cup Strawberries
˝ cup Blueberries
˝ cup Raspberries
˝ cup Blackberries
˝ Mango
˝ Avocado
4 oz (120 mL) unsweetened coconut water
˝ cup crushed ice or ice cubes (if using fresh fruit)
Nutrition Information: 380 calories, Protein 5 gm, Total Carbohydrate 62 gm, Total Fiber 20 gm (Net carbs = 42 gm)

My MB cups wouldn't hold all that. I don't think.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Last I looked, they had a Jack LaLane juicer at Costco for $89. I had it and it worked pretty well. After using it awhile and deciding I liked juicing, I upgraded to a Kuving I bought on Costco's website.

There is more information on juicers out there than you can shake a stick at. Slow, fast, masticating, heat, no heat, on and on. One google and you can read all day.

Lots of people will recommend blenders so you don't lose the fiber. We all know about how healthy fiber is, but that isn't the point of juicing (if that is what you are doing it for). Juicing is about the super fast absorption of the vitamins and micronutrients from the fruits and vegetables without the fiber to slow it down. The point is being able to take in far more than you would ever be able to eat as a salad or drink as a smoothie.

Yes, juices are high carb. You can make them less so by juicing mostly vegetables and little fruit, but that is certainly an acquired taste. I do mostly vegetables and the "sweeten up" the juice with stevia. Even with that they are fairly high carb, but it works.

I believe there many vitamins that absorb better with fat, so if I am juicing I usually add a smoothie with coconut milk to my day too.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Formerlychubchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Last I looked, they had a Jack LaLane juicer at Costco for $89. I had it and it worked pretty well. After using it awhile and deciding I liked juicing, I upgraded to a Kuving I bought on Costco's website.

There is more information on juicers out there than you can shake a stick at. Slow, fast, masticating, heat, no heat, on and on. One google and you can read all day.

Lots of people will recommend blenders so you don't lose the fiber. We all know about how healthy fiber is, but that isn't the point of juicing (if that is what you are doing it for). Juicing is about the super fast absorption of the vitamins and micronutrients from the fruits and vegetables without the fiber to slow it down. The point is being able to take in far more than you would ever be able to eat as a salad or drink as a smoothie.

Yes, juices are high carb. You can make them less so by juicing mostly vegetables and little fruit, but that is certainly an acquired taste. I do mostly vegetables and the "sweeten up" the juice with stevia. Even with that they are fairly high carb, but it works.

I believe there many vitamins that absorb better with fat, so if I am juicing I usually add a smoothie with coconut milk to my day too.

Great info! I will look at juicers/extractors rather than a vitamix type thing. I am taking a sup called Greens & Greens Phyto-food energy by a company called Irwin Naturals. Seems kind of like juicing LOL
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
It looks just like my magic bullet! Are the cups big enough for a recipe like (for example)

Very Berry Mango Blend
˝ cup Strawberries
˝ cup Blueberries
˝ cup Raspberries
˝ cup Blackberries
˝ Mango
˝ Avocado
4 oz (120 mL) unsweetened coconut water
˝ cup crushed ice or ice cubes (if using fresh fruit)
Nutrition Information: 380 calories, Protein 5 gm, Total Carbohydrate 62 gm, Total Fiber 20 gm (Net carbs = 42 gm)

My MB cups wouldn't hold all that. I don't think.
No, even the largest cup would not hold that much. Try halving the quantities and making a couple of batches. Yes, Nutribullet is like the Magic bullet, but it supposed to have a bigger motor to breakdown/extract all of the material into juice. Nothing is left over to throw out, some people cook/bake the pulp.

Karai

Last edited by Karai; 07-22-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Edited...
Quote:

Gina, great idea about the stevia. I've been doing a breakfast veggie cocktail that contains beets, and it's like drinking liquid dirt. Even with the carrots and lemon, the taste is not so desirable. I'll add a packet of stevia. Today, I added 1/2 an apple. This improved the taste, but I know if upped the carb count, tho'.

On the fats, I like flax oil or coconut milk in my shakes/cocktails too. They are so satisfying with the oil. I don't really get physically hungry until lunch time.

Karai
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karai View Post
Edited...

Gina, great idea about the stevia. I've been doing a breakfast veggie cocktail that contains beets, and it's like drinking liquid dirt. Even with the carrots and lemon, the taste is not so desirable. I'll add a packet of stevia. Today, I added 1/2 an apple. This improved the taste, but I know if upped the carb count, tho'.

On the fats, I like flax oil or coconut milk in my shakes/cocktails too. They are so satisfying with the oil. I don't really get physically hungry until lunch time.

Karai
Are you juicing the beet greens? The beets are ok, the greens taste like dirt for sure. I only juiced the greens once. Blech.

I like to add a few berries to my juices with beets. I use the frozen mix from Costco (let it thaw first) and run it through a couple of times. I add stevia too, but the berry flavor goes a long way and the pretty beet color makes you think it will taste very berry-y.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Are you juicing the beet greens? The beets are ok, the greens taste like dirt for sure. I only juiced the greens once. Blech.

I like to add a few berries to my juices with beets. I use the frozen mix from Costco (let it thaw first) and run it through a couple of times. I add stevia too, but the berry flavor goes a long way and the pretty beet color makes you think it will taste very berry-y.
I don't juice the beet greens. Instead, I use kale or lettuces because they have a mild taste. I started adding an apple to cut the dirt-beet-dirt taste. I'll try some berries next time I brave that cocktail.

Costco is a favorite too. I don't get there as often as I'd like tho'. Will definitely check out the frozen berries. I love their huge packs of salads. My family chomps them down like 40 going North...especially during the summer.

Karai