Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookieCrazy
Stats: 251/247/175
WOE: CADD / RM = lunch
Start Date: May 2014
Exercising with Low Carb Diets ????

I am currently on CAD (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) I previously have done Atkins. CAD is working well for me, however I was wondering if any of you low carb friends could give advice on recommended exercises you do.
I currently walk at work on my breaks and lunches.
I have an elliptical that I occasionally use when I manage to get up early.

I have a long journey ahead so I dont want to burn myself out, but I also wouldnt mind to see the scale move just a little faster

Any advice and personal experiences welcome!!!!
CookieCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You may be doing enough for now, since you just started this month.
Lots of folks here separate exercise and weight loss. Not that exercise isn't important, it just may not be the key to faster weight loss. You might want to maintain your current exercise regiment but really focus on diet, since you say CAD is working well for you. Care to say more about this WOE?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maepowers
Stats: 290/237/140
WOE: Low Carb, my way/ M&E
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalIowa View Post

I am currently on CAD (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) I previously have done Atkins. CAD is working well for me, however I was wondering if any of you low carb friends could give advice on recommended exercises you do.
I currently walk at work on my breaks and lunches.
I have an elliptical that I occasionally use when I manage to get up early.

I have a long journey ahead so I dont want to burn myself out, but I also wouldnt mind to see the scale move just a little faster

Any advice and personal experiences welcome!!!!
Hey Crys, Bella stated it well. Get the CAD down first, and keep with your walking plan. THose small walks during breaks and lunch add up. When you are ready, try small weights to start with, or you can use cans at home. I don't know if you've done this, but it helps. Try three times a week. I use Leslie Sansones Walk Fit at times and she has a two mile I do, with writst weights. She uses these weighted balls. Look on youtube, there are all kinds of free videos for different exercises. Go at your own speed and build up. Find something you won't mind doing. If I didn't need to keep the kinks outta the ol body, not sure I would. LOL. Hope this helps. Mae
maepowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigguy23
WOE: LFL
Start Date: July 21st 2013
Not knowing your fitness level, it's hard to say. Stick with the walking, it's lower impact and is good cardio. I would suggest a water aerobics class at your local YMCA or gym. I know it can be a little bit scary to think of getting into a bathing suit depending on your weight, but I have seen a lot of large women march into those classes in a size 20+ suit and march out months later in a size 12. It's great cardio and very low impact. I would also suggest good old Richard Simmons DVD's. They are pretty easy to do regardless of fitness level.
bigguy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm currently restricted from exercise, due to illness, but when I'm able, I do high intensity strength training.

It's low reps of high weights, done to failure, slowly and with precise form. It is aerobic, but more importantly, it helps build and maintain muscle mass, which in turn raises metabolism, burns fat, and makes you look leaner at a higher weight.

I really like the results.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookieCrazy
Stats: 251/247/175
WOE: CADD / RM = lunch
Start Date: May 2014
Thanks for all the great feed back you guys!!!
I am definitely sticking to walking for now but i will have to branch out more later.

CAD is the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, a book by Dr.Heller
it is basically restricting all of your carbs to a "reward meal" and
also restricitng the time within you consume the meal to avoid insulin spiked that they believe are linked to weight gain and retention. There are also CM meals that have very few carbs you can eat 1-2 times a day....it depends what plan you pick in the book.
CookieCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: QuilterInVA
Stats: 170/148/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2013
Cardio is nice but strength training is mandatory if you don't want to lose muscle along with fat. It's time to start now.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
There are many benefits to exercising or just keeping active but studies show losing weight is not one of them. Studies have found that when people do 'vigorous' exercise (the type needed to actually burn any significant amount of calories), they usually end up hungrier and then justify why it's ok to eat more...and usually end up eating more than they burn.

I went from 330 to 160 and did not exercise at all. I didn't even go for walks...and I did not lose muscle. I lost fat. Unless you're following a diet that is so unbalanced that it cannibalizes your own muscle...and low carb is not that if it is being followed correctly...you will not lose muscle just because you don't exercise.

I detest exercising of any form. However, once I hit 160, I actually wanted to get out and move. So my husband and I go for a walk a few nights a week if it's not too hot/humid or too cold. Five days a week I go to the local college fitness center because I have free access and work out about 1.5 hours each day. I alternate between walking at a 4 mph clip and resistance training with machines and free weights. Recently, I started a kickboxing class twice a week. It kicks my butt but it is a lot of fun!

Unless you actually enjoy exercising, I'd focus on the diet for awhile and continue with the walking and your elliptical. Maybe 1-2# weights to work on the upper body muscle toning. If you get dizzy or weak, consider cutting back a bit on the intensity.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote