Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   What is Potato Hacking? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/808025-what-potato-hacking.html)

Barbo 07-14-2013 03:44 PM

What is Potato Hacking?

At a loss to understand this diet?

I think it may a have started with JUDDD but not sure.

Anyone here have and information about Potato Hacking and
what it is?

A Potato Lover:)

ouizoid 07-14-2013 04:16 PM

Hi Barb--

I answered your question on the other thread as well. Potato Hacking means to eat potatoes without added fat or protein. You eat to satisfaction, and your condiments should be mostly vinegar or spices. You can eat this way for 3-5 days (although some folks do it for longer). The JUDDD people often eat only potatoes on their down days (500 cals or less) because potatoes are incredibly satiating.

Hope that helps

Ouis

Barbo 07-14-2013 04:37 PM

Thanks Quizoid

This is very interesting. Have you lost weight doing this?
Peggy says that she has. She was stalled and lost 9 lbs?
Could you say boil them in chicken broth to get flavor?

ouizoid 07-14-2013 05:11 PM

hi barb--

yes, I have lost weight doing this. And yes, as long as the chicken broth is defatted it would be fine.

By the way--my name does not have a "Q"--instead it is an "O" like the french word "oui"

buttoni 07-14-2013 05:23 PM

Yes, I also commented on the other thread where you asked. I have lost 10# doing it. It has worked where nothing else has for me. I'll only do it off and on until I get to goal, but it will be yet another tool in my weight-loss tool box. I follow Atkins with a Primal Blueprint bent when I'm not doing a PH regimen.

toogood 07-14-2013 10:36 PM

In the 90s I lost 50 lbs of pregnancy weight eating a potato for lunch. I microwaved the potatoes and topped it with salsa. It was a easy and satisfying meal. Never heard of potato hacking before tho.

Janknitz 07-15-2013 09:08 PM

It's part of the resistant starch theory. The idea is that resistant starch bypasses the small intestine and feeds the good bacteria in the large intestine, meanwhile it's supposed to have little effect on insulin.

I have been reading some experts I respect who question whether people who are very IR should be doing this, but I've also seen others reporting good results.

Chuck41 07-15-2013 09:27 PM

Potatoes only, no fats, no protein? Whooo, that sounds tough to me. I like potatoes, but mostly with lots of condiments. As a solo I'm not so sure. Doesn't that get awfully boring?

ouizoid 07-16-2013 06:52 AM

chuck--for whatever reason, not so much. After a few days, potatoes seem oddly gratifying. If you get bored, you go back to your regular diet for awhile, and then when you are ready, tater hack again for a few days.

Chuck41 07-16-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16517195)
chuck--for whatever reason, not so much. After a few days, potatoes seem oddly gratifying. If you get bored, you go back to your regular diet for awhile, and then when you are ready, tater hack again for a few days.

Thanks. Not so sure about that but suppose I can handle it for a few days. Will give it a try for a while next time I need to break a stall. Can't hurt. Twenty million Irishmen can't be wrong.

Irishnonee 07-17-2013 05:19 PM

chuck you got that right. LOL

DiamondDeb 07-17-2013 05:44 PM

I'm not planning to try it but I have to say it sounds like it would be tasty.

Many years ago I recall eliminating fats & eating naked baked potatoes. They actually tasted very good...and a little salty without adding salt.

wantingtoloose 07-24-2013 03:29 AM

Hi,
I wonder if you could do the same with a sweet potatoes?

RhondaC 07-24-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wantingtoloose (Post 16528674)
Hi,
I wonder if you could do the same with a sweet potatoes?

I don't think sweet potatoes have the amount of starch that regular potatoes do, and they definitely have more sugar, so I doubt it would work. But it would be great! I love sweet potatoes.

I'm doing Atkins, so wouldn't potato hacking kick me out of ketosis, and completely mess me up?

creseis 07-24-2013 04:50 AM

what is the biochemistry behind this? if you have a real problem with insulin resistance, my understanding is that that needs to be fixed (i.e., via low carb) before you can eat starches, even high carbon starches, because the amount of insulin that ends up released will be high regardless and it will not help with insulin resistance at all in the long run.

Beeb 07-24-2013 07:27 AM

I have been looking into this with interest until I realized it could be a trigger for me for a couple of reasons

Any high carb, be it potato, rice, or wheat/bread products causing me to want to eat and eat more of the same foods.

This ^^^ starts the binge monster coming back so after much reading I'm thinking this would not be good.

I would probably eat a few potatoes, be really full, but still continue to eat a zillion more.

Has anyone else with an eating problem tried this? :dunno:

ouizoid 07-24-2013 07:35 AM

linda--i have struggled with binging and the potato hack had the opposite effect on me. After a roughish first day or so, my appetite went down to nothing. However, knowing your struggles, I hesitate to suggest it to you--isn't LC really helping you right now? maybe save the PH til you feel really undercontrol. The other thing about the PH is that it is a monodiet--again, as a binger, I still did really really well with this--but if "psychic deprivation" is a big issue for you, maybe it is not for you--