Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Perfect Health - JULY

New thread for all of our PHD'ers to gather.

The PERFECT HEALTH Plan...

Dr. Jaminet's recommendations:

•About 3 pounds of plant foods per day, including: ◦About 1 pound of safe starches, such as white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and taro;
◦About 1 pound of sugary in-ground vegetables (such as beets or carrots), fruits, and berries;
◦Low-calorie vegetables to taste, including fermented vegetables and green leafy vegetables.

•One-half to one pound per day of meat or fish, which should include organ meats, and should be drawn primarily from: ◦ruminants (beef, lamb, goat);
◦birds (especially duck and wild or naturally raised birds);
◦Shellfish and freshwater and marine fish.

•Low omega-6 fats and oils from animal or tropical plant sources, to taste. Good sources include: ◦butter, sour cream, beef tallow, duck fat;
◦coconut milk or oil
◦palm oil, palm kernel oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut butter, almond butter, cashew butter

•Acids to taste, especially citric acid (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice), lactic acid from fermented or pickled vegetables, vinegars, tannic acids from wine, and tomatoes.
•Broths or stocks made from animal bones and joints.
•Snacks or desserts from our pleasure foods: fruits and berries, nuts, alcohol, chocolate, cream, and fructose-free sweeteners like dextrose or rice syrup.

By weight, the diet works out to about 3/4 plant foods, 1/4 animal foods. By calories, it works out to about 600 carb calories, primarily from starches; around 300 protein calories; and fats supply a majority (50-60%) of daily calories.

In the shadow of the apple are foods forbidden because of their high toxin content. Notably:
•Do not eat cereal grains — wheat, barley, oats, corn — or foods made from them — bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, oatmeal. The exception is white rice, which we count among our “safe starches.” Rice noodles, rice crackers, and the like are fine, as are gluten-free foods made from a mix of rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch.
•Do not eat calorie-rich legumes. Peas and green beans are fine. Soy and peanuts should be absolutely excluded. Beans might be acceptable with suitable preparation, but we recommend avoiding them.
•Do not eat foods with added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Do not drink anything that contains sugar: healthy drinks are water, tea, and coffee.
•Polyunsaturated fats should be a small fraction of the diet (~4% of total calories). To achieve this, do not eat seed oils such as soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, or the like.

We highly recommend certain foods for their micronutrients. These include liver, kidney, egg yolks, seaweeds, shellfish, fermented vegetables, and bone broths.
We also recommend augmenting the diet with certain supplements. These nutrients are deficient in modern diets due to removal of minerals from drinking water by treatment, depletion of minerals from soil by agriculture, or modern lifestyles that deprive us of vitamin D by indoor living.

We recommend tweaking the diet for certain diseases. Neurological disorders often benefit from a diet that is ketogenic; other conditions may benefit from lower carb diets. These variations are discussed in the book.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Our food plate...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Food-Plate.jpg (44.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by sunday; 07-01-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Supplemental Foods

Quote:
We recommend eating these “supplemental foods” on a regular schedule:

3 egg yolks daily, 5 yolks daily for women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant (for choline, folate, vitamin A)
A bowl of bone and joint broth soup, 3 days per week (for calcium, phosphorus, and collagen)
Vegetables such as tomato, avocado, potato, sweet potato, banana, green leafy vegetables, and seaweeds such as dulse, daily (for potassium)
Dark chocolate (>70%), as desired
¼ lb beef or lamb liver, weekly (copper, vitamin A, folate, choline)
fish, shellfish, eggs, and kidneys, weekly (for selenium)
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon red palm oil, weekly (vitamin E)

Daily Supplements

These are supplements Jaminet recommends be taken daily:

Sunshine and vitamin D3 as needed to achieve serum 25OHD of 40 ng/ml.
Vitamin K2 100 mcg or more
Magnesium 200 mg
Iodine at least 225 mcg, recommend 1 mg
Vitamin C 1 g
OPTIONAL: Lithium 2.5 mg – a 5 mg tablet cut into halves
OPTIONAL: Silicon 5 mg
ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT EAT BEEF OR LAMB LIVER: Copper 2 mg
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy July!

Gosh I am going to be absent a bit this week, but I will try and throw out a few things that I have learned.

HI Kristin! I see you are working on a new film! Very thrilled and can't wait to see & hear about it.

I am hoping to get my kombucha off to a great start. I have read and read all weekend every chance I get and I am going to try it. I am shooting for the perpetual blend. It is so fun to read the other brewer's tips and flavors.

Mama, I treat myself to whatever dessert I want on the weekend. This weekend it was Persian Lime Tart and let me tell you it was decadent. OH MY!

Blonde, Lindy, KT, SlowSure & SeaBreezes, Hope you are having a great week!!!

Last edited by sunday; 07-01-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy,

I just caught your post over there on the June thread! I am so proud of you. You are doing everything! Even fermenting your veggies. I admit to buying bubbies and kimchi, but I will be learning all of this soon.

One quick question. I read somewhere, I believe it was Grandma's kombucha blog that you should limit how much you drink per day? Is this true? Something about too much of a good thing? I am afraid, that I may have been drinking a bit too much during my illness. Kombucha was the only thing that I felt like drinking.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I just looked at our June PHD thread and we had 3,180 lurks while only 280 posts!

I sincerely hope anyone is lurking and wants to add they will join us. We are very friendly to all ideas and especially if it pertains to wellness.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Sunday, Gotta Love Lurkers! Thanks for starting up the new thread for July! Can you believe the year is 1/2 over???

Lindy~ I wanted to comment on your daughter's business. Dogs are one of my all time favorite people. I could not live my life without a dog or two (or three at the moment) in it. KUDOS!

I guess I need to make some kombucha.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree w/ Blonde on the dogs! Choc lab and boxer are my babies. I can't believe how foolish I am about these two girls.

On the kombucha, I truly believe it is healing. Much less cals than wine and it is delightful. Simply refreshing. I have to laugh at some of the folks who are making their own. They come up with some doozy ideas for brewing.

LOve the lurkers. Hope to snag a few!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love avocados. I don't eat one per day, but I probably have one EOD. I love them in smoothies, guacomole, salads, and just plain with a bit of sea salt & lime.

9 Reasons Why an Avocado a Day Can Change Your Life:

Quote:
1. Avocados contain the 18 amino acids required to form complete protein that is used more efficiently by the body than are proteins found in meat.

2. Avocados contain more natural fiber than any other fruit, and this high fiber content aids in digestion and total body absorption of nutrients.

3. Healthy fats found in avocados raise “good” cholesterol (HDL) while lowering “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides by 20%.

4. Avocados contain 35% more potassium than a banana does. Potassium is important because it regulates blood pressure.

5. Avocados provide the lutein necessary to protect you from age-related eye degeneration.

6. The anti-inflammatory properties of avocados prevent and/or treat rheumatoid arthritis.

7. Sufficient amounts of oleic acid improve your cardiovascular system and protect against prostate and breast cancer.

8. Vitamin B6 and folic acid control homocysteine levels – high quantities of homocysteine are linked to an increased risk of death from heart disease.

9. Glutathione boosts your body’s immune system and keeps your nervous system healthy.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Oddly enough, I bought some avocado over the weekend as I thought that I should start introducing them to my DDs and UDs. As MCT oil supplementation (and my re-supply has finally arrived) means that >50% of my DD kcals are from MCT and approx. 22-25% of UDs, I don't even want to calculate what my overall intake is from fat at present.

But, I had 9 days without a headache eating this way - and the headaches returned when I ran out of MCT for a week (and I'd been skimping before I ran out). So, I'm going to monitor the re-introduction of MCT today.

I'm still taking my unmodified potato starch (PS). I tend to take it on UDs only because of the uncertainty around whether or not the kcals count (I feel that they don't but until this matter is resolved I will continue to count them). Now that I've reached my notional target weight, however, and I have a slightly more generous daily allowance, I'm thinking of introducing it into my DD in a very modest amount as the resistant starch helps to create the ketones that I'm taking MCT to obtain.

MCTs are said to be metabolised and cleared within 3 hours of ingesting them (which is why I have a drink boosted with it x2 or x3 a day). I wondered if timing the PS intake would still provide me with the BOHB (ketones) that my body makes, after the MCTs have faded away when I'm asleep. It may be worth an experiment.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morn Slowsure!

Wonderful that you have reached goal! Remarkable! You have done well.

I am sorry to hear about your headache returning. It is amazing that the oil is that important, in this process. Can you find coconut oil in your city? It may be good to stash a jar away for when your MCT runs low. As far as the potato starch, I am still taking mine 1-2 tbs per day. Interestingly, I read on the PHD site that Tatertot started mixing his in cold kefir or greek yogurt in an effort to encapsulate the RS and to reach the lower digestive tract. So, that is how I am now taking my dose.

Tatertot's thoughts...

Quote:
I have seen credible evidence that a diet with ample RS favors the growth of ‘good’ bacteria–the butyrate producers, and crowds out ‘bad’ bacteria. I have also seen credible evidence that a diet with ample RS results in a very healthy large intestine with a much less permeable mucous layer and much more healthy ‘crypts and gaps’.

I also am fully convinced that taking probiotics, such as yogurt, kefir, whole milk, or fermented veggies alongside, or mixed with, raw potato starch give the probiotics an advantage in traversing the upper digestive system in tact.

Big money is being spent on producing manufactured ways to encapsulate probiotics inside of resistant starch to make a shelf-stable product.

When mixed together, however, the probiotics attach themselves to the RS and begin feeding which allows them to make the journey to the large intestine. This mixture is not shelf-stable so of no use to a manufacturer, but easily manipulated for home use. Hope that makes sense.
One such study of encapsulation of pre-biotics with pro-biotics...

http://lib3.dss.go.th/fulltext/Journ...363%5B1%5D.pdf

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, I bought some extra virgin coconut oil (for eating or adding to drinks if I don't have MCT) at the same time as the MCT oil. I've previously only been able to buy the 'cooking' quality CO and didn't fancy drinking that, nor was I that sure of its MCT content. I'll certainly use CO in the future if I can't obtain MCT in a timely manner.

The encapsulation aspects are interesting. I've no idea if they'll keep working together as they move through the GI tract and if the protection will last through to the distal colon - it's potentially very useful if they do as this is a substantial problem for a number of these products.

DH is still resisting the PS - I mentioned it again last night. Ah well, I'll continue to mention it from time to time. He has to be ready to try it for himself.

I have 3kgs of goat trim to make into meat loaves and patties later today. DH will have his work cut out, cranking the mincer.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not sure which brand of cooking CO you have, but LouAnna is one such cooking oil and it does have MCTs. Although, it doesn't retain the other nutrients that are found in VCO, such as phytonutrients because it has been processed, refined, bleached & deodorized; it still has MCTs.

From LouAnna's site...

Quote:
Because of the refining process, RBD oils no longer contain much, if not all, of the phytonutrients found in raw, unprocessed oils. Essentially though, RBD coconut oil still contains much of the Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) most abundantly present in coconut oil.

MCTs are very stable, and as such, can withstand high heat used in manufacturing cooking oils. These rare fat molecules are the principal reason why coconut oil is, pound for pound, the healthiest oil on the planet.

Since they pretty much have the same amounts of MCTs found in unrefined varieties, RBD coconut oils are considered healthy oils. Aside from being cost-efficient, they are also preferred by those who like their cooking oils basically bland or flavorless (it’s just individual preference, that's all).
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure,

If DH doesn't want to supplement with potato starch, he may actually prefer eating a few plantains now and then. Or just cold taters.

One more excellent study on the benefits of RS as it relates to Crohn's. I am watching this closely because this is exciting!

Quote:
Scientists have previously shown that people with Crohn’s disease have increased numbers of a ‘sticky’ type of E.coli and weakened ability to fight off invading intestinal bacteria. The team investigated whether dietary agents could influence E.coli entering the lining of the gut. Scientists found that plantain soluble fibres prevented the uptake and transport of E.coli across M-cells. The research funded by the Wellcome Trust and the National Institute for Health Research also found that soluble fibres from broccoli had a similar effect.
https://news.liv.ac.uk/2010/09/07/ba...rohns-disease/

Last edited by sunday; 07-02-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Just wanted to clarify...if you are not eating potatoes (1 medium) everyday you should supplement with PS. In an effort to continue moving in the weight loss mode (isn't that everybody) I wanted to clarify and quesiton my day:

B: coffe with FF creamer and stevia, 2 egg omlet with 1/2 red pepper and some onion with 2 T. kimchi and sprinkling of parm cheese
S: Made some skinny chocolate and had a piece (1/2 c. VCO, 1/4 c. dark chocolate cocoa, and stevia, 1/4 c. unsweetened coconut shavings - stick it in the freezer)
L: A medium potato boiled with ACV on it and Mrs. Dash
D: Smoothie (keifer, l-glutamine, dehydrated kale, stevia, a few blueberries, 3 T. milled chia seeds)

I drink a quart of fresh lemon water with ACV in it in the morning.

What am I missing? Is potatoes only for hacking good for weight loss/maintenance...How do you incorporate it daily? My book should be here later today (Amazon is quick) so I have lots to read Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mama,

That is an excellent menu. If you would like-- add a tbsp of Potato Starch to your keifer, that would give your pro-biotics the added pre-biotics. Also, if you have any green veggies in your garden, you could steam some green beans, asparagus, or zucchini to add to your tater lunch. I made a whole pan full of grilled asparagus and had it with my potatoes last night. Very filling.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can mix 1/2 green banana in your smoothie if you don't want to add the potato starch and you will reap the RS too. Paul says that 1.5 to 2 tbsp should supply ample daily RS.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I use KTC brand of CO for cooking, Sunday (it's readily available in Asian shops in the UK). It's odd isn't it, I'm so used to thinking there are certain oils for cooking/baking, and others for eating (like olive oil) that it didn't occur to me that the normal, refined stuff would be OK and that the MCTs wouldn't be processed out.

It's 19:30 in the UK and after arriving home I've processed 32 red peppers (Bell peppers) for the dehydrator. I still haven't had dinner although I put it in the oven to heat - I'm quite tired and all I want to do is go to bed. I can't though, as I still have the meat loaves etc. to make.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-02-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Slowsure, The KTC should be just the same as LouAnna.

I am curious about the meat loaf. It is goat and what else mixed?

I have an addiction to bell peppers...and well, any peppers.
Have you ever tried to make fried pepper crisps? I love them on salads. We have a restaurant named, "Chili's" that makes fried onion & pepper crisps.

Quote:
Food list

•2 vidalia onions sliced in rings
several fresh jalapeno peppers sliced in rings
•beer
•coconut oil
•egg
•potato or tapioca flour

BEER BATTER MIX

10 oz of beer
1 egg
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
1.5 cups of flour

1.Mix first 3 ingredients. Add flour until mixture forms a paste. Batter should not be stiff.
2.Dip jalapenos and onion slices in the batter to fully coat.
3.Deep fry in hot oil -350 degrees until golden brown.

NOTE: If you want to kick up the flavor add spices like garlic powder, onion powder and cayanne pepper to the flour before mixing into the wet ingredients.

Last edited by sunday; 07-02-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

So are we, as PhDers, Paleo with a little Primal Blueprint? Got my book late yesterday...gonna be a long time to really understand things so bare with me!

Started out good, BUT then I made some cookies which I know probably aren't the best but they were made with GF flour mix I got from their book, some unsweetened cocoa powder, nunaturals (stevia), crushed pineapple, and some chopped up figs...Ummm...love!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PHD is a Pacific Paleo which incorporates quite a bit of food native to the Pacific Islands. The biggest difference is the safe starches and tubers.

I didn't realize how much safe starch my diet has been missing until I did the potato hack. I have felt like I stayed so low carb for so long that I was fearful of potatoes. Now, I try to throw in some tapioca, sweet potato, and carrots in to my regular plan as well. The emphasis of PHD is removing toxins. Once you let go of the main 3 toxins --seed oils, grains, and sugar, you will notice healing in the areas that may have been issues. I had need to heal the gut and this is where I have been concentrating. Lots of damage over the years.

Any time you have questions, feel free to ask.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today on PHD...

Jennifer says...

Quote:
I want to thank the Jaminets for writing this book. i have struggled with borderline type 2 for most of my adult life, and for the first time in my life, i feel i have control. I don't have to eat every couple of hours to maintain sugar levels, and i don't get "ravenous" if i don't eat for 10 hours. for me, this is an amazing experience, and the gradual weight loss is just a bonus. thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I started having dizzy spells, trembling, and outright passing out when I was about 13. I had no idea what was going on, but we were on a limited animal protein and low fat diet at the time. I also at this time started binging on snack wells (I know, I know. I was 13!!) and low fat ice cream and had depression issues all tied into a very unhappy mess. So, 20 years later, still having symptoms despite no habitual junk food, no fast food, but still a lot more carbs than my body can handle anymore, apparently. I attempted the "many small meals," and that doesn't work for anyone I've met, tried Adkins, but would carb binge in 3 weeks (not quite enough time to the hypoglycemia to die down).

So yes, I did modify for 20-25% safe starch (1/2c-3/4c), and I have the majority of my starches at night, mostly proteins and fats during the day. because i was allowing myself carbs and even the occasional creme brûlée, I haven't binged like I have before. 5-6 weeks into my PDH experience, I attempted my first IF. Put a good dollop of heavy cream in my coffee, 8 hours later, I still hadn't gotten shakes, hunger, or even a dip in energy levels. i felt like i unlocked my own Rubik's cube! My job is demanding and active, so I don't have time to sit down and eat for long stretches, so this has been a huge relief to know I have the stamina when fed right.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One thing I want to comment on as I read all of the different testimonies of PHDers, is that I used to have a horrible snacking problem even when I was doing JUDDD w/ nuts.

I even commented a few times, that I feared that I grabbed nuts, especially a mix of walnuts/almonds/pecans and dark choc raisins as an anti-stress type of snack. Sometimes just to keep me from eating something else that I knew would be dangerous. The problem that I had at this time and I didn't figure it out until I began PHD w/ 16 hour fasting is that this type of snacking is mindless and not as nutritious as it would seem. In fact, it was probably a lot more toxic than healthy. The reason that Jaminet says to keep an eye on nuts and to limit them, is because of the toxin Phytic Acid.

So, it just dawned on me that one more reason that I am smitten with PHD is that it points me to areas that could be harmful to me AND the biggest reason is that I never snack now. I simply find that staying in a window of 8 hours simply eliminates the need. Also, I never, ever in a million years would think that I could be sated and feel good on simple foods. Nothing elaborate. Just good food like my grandparents loved and ate.

From Chris Kresser ...

Quote:
One of the main principles of the Paleo diet is to avoid eating grains and legumes because of the food toxins they contain. One of those toxins, phytic acid (a.k.a. phytate), is emphasized as one of the greatest offenders.

But what is often not mentioned in books or websites about the Paleo diet is that nuts are often as high or even higher in phytic acid than grains. In fact, nuts decrease iron absorption even more than wheat bread. This is ironic because a lot of people on the Paleo diet – who go to great lengths to avoid food toxins – are chowing down nut like they’re going out of style.

What is phytic acid and why should we care?

Phytic acid is the storage form of phosphorus found in many plants, especially in the bran or hull of grains and in nuts and seeds. Although herbivores like cows and sheep can digest phytic acid, humans can’t. This is bad news because phytic acid binds to minerals (especially iron and zinc) in food and prevents us from absorbing them. 3 Studies suggest that we absorb approximately 20 percent more zinc and 60 percent more magnesium from our food when phytic acid is absent4. It’s important to note that phytic acid does not leach minerals that are already stored in the body; it only inhibits the absorption of minerals from food in which phytic acid is present.

Phytic acid interferes with enzymes we need to digest our food, including pepsin, which is needed for the breakdown of proteins in the stomach, and amylase, which is required for the breakdown of starch. Phytic acid also inhibits the enzyme trypsin, which is needed for protein digestion in the small intestine.

As most people following a Paleo diet will probably have heard by now, diets high in phytate cause mineral deficiencies. For example, rickets and osteoporosis are common in societies where cereal grains are a staple part of the diet.5

How much phytic acid should you eat?

Before you go out and try to remove every last scrap of phytic acid from your diet, keep in mind that it’s likely humans can tolerate a small to moderate amount of phytic acid – in the range of 100 mg to 400 mg per day. According to Ramiel Nagel in his article “Living With Phytic Acid”6, the average phytate intake in the U.S. and the U.K. ranges between 631 and 746 mg per day; the average in Finland is 370 mg; in Italy it is 219 mg; and in Sweden a mere 180 mg per day.

Last edited by sunday; 07-03-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This review of PHD is from Isaac who I think is hilarious! He works in a Genetics Lab at the University of Wisconsin.
There is much more to it than is quoted here, but you can go there if you would like to read more. He started PHD a year ago at 250 and is now 190. Enjoy.

Quote:
Things didn't start out great for me on the diet. That first weekend I went out to the bar and since I couldn't eat any bar food I skipped supper and got way too drunk. The next day I tried salmon which tasted good but reacted badly with my hangover so I threw it up a few hours later, and then AGAIN that night.

First major “ah ha” moment was the following Monday. I'd always eaten breakfast and then struggled to get through to lunch without a snack. I was stubborn and I almost always made it, but it was rough. That Monday, just a few days after starting the diet, my morning hunger pangs felt completely different. I'm not going to say I wasn't hungry, but it was just like a suggestion of hunger not the "I must eat now or I'm going to die!!!" sensation I was used to.

Cutting out grains, legumes, sugar and grass seed oils was pretty immediate, but finding good food to eat has been a slow and iterative process. I had to learn to make my own salad dressings, I had to learn how to make my own bone broths, and soups. I had to learn to cook my food gently (if possible) to avoid introducing toxins. I learned to eat my steak rare, and appreciate it on a whole new level. I had always bought pre formed burger patties, but now I can turn ground beef into a better burger then most restaurants.
I was never a fan of dark chocolate but I started eating it since the dessert list is pretty short, and now it's one of my favorite things in the world. Before this diet I would always gravitate towards sweetness in chocolate, wine and even condiments to the point where anything that wasn't sweet didn't taste as good (That's why they put corn syrup in EVERYTHING). Once I cut out all that extra sweetener I found all sorts of flavors I was missing. Fruit is another thing I seldom ate because it had a weird texture and it wasn't as sweet as cake and soda, but now a good raspberry can be the highlight of my day.

Earlier this year I started intermittent fasting which I think really helps my focus and clarity at work. I've also started experimenting with fermenting vegetables to improve my gut bacteria. I was never much for seafood, but now I have salmon every week, and occasionally do shrimp, crab legs or lobster tails. I went from getting a dozen eggs once in a while when I wanted them to going through 4 dozen a week.
For the first 6 months I counted calories, but as I gained confidence I started listening to my body more. I can absolutely feel my hunger levels change based on my activity levels and what I've been eating and it’s neat to feel so in tune with my body. It also gives me the confidence to eat as much as I want, I really believe that so long as it's the right stuff then my body will stop me.

I guess my point is that I'm not done and while some things happened overnight, a lot of it has come through focusing on one area of improvement, getting used to it, and then moving on to another. I don't think I'll ever be done either, even if I could find perfect food for right now, my body will change as I get older and I'll have to adapt.

The world isn't black and white, and I don't think having people tell you "eat this" or "don't eat that" will work, or work as well as taking the time to learn about how your body works. It's so much easier to avoid wheat knowing that my immune system attacks it in my stomach. It's easier to avoid sugar when you think about how insulin has to drive it out of your blood so it doesn't kill you, and the fastest way to do that is to store it as body fat. All those "never stop learning" clichés really hit home with me now because I always thought I was fat because I lacked willpower and determination. An abundance of willpower and determination might've gotten me there, but it would've been a hilariously inefficient route.

Last edited by sunday; 07-03-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sunday that's pretty cool! I love hearing about good experiences.

You do an 8 hour eating window everyday? Like 11-7, something like that?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do! I usually do 10:30 - 6:30. It is wonderful for your circadian rhythm. I think you will read about that further into the PHD. This may actually become very important if you start working evenings. To help you sleep and all.

The other great thing about 16 hours is that it works with JUDDD. Carly comes to mind as someone who does this while JUDDD. I started PHD while I was still JUDDD and it was simple to fast the 16 hours. First thing in the morn, I have a big glass of water w/ BCAAs and ACV then to go for my walk/jog and then come home and do about 10 minutes of KBs. Then if I still have time before I can eat, I will have some hot tea or coffee w/ coconut oil or cream to prolong the fast period, before I break fast.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

This eating window is specified in the book as an intermittent fast. It is interesting in his post about taking and conquering one thing at a time. I would think it would be easy for me to adapt to this way just because I don't eat grains or sugar already (altho I do think about oatmeal ocassionally). Speaking of oatmeal...I thought soaking oats breaks down the phytates? I have joined the facebook group too...very good information there as well.

Tomorrow should be fun, we are celebrating 4th of July US Independence Day with a stuffed turkey and all the fixins. Well, at least some of us with have just turkey with a sweet potato they can have thier dumb ol' pie and corn on the cob, stuffing with gravy...I'll stop!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mama,

I especially enjoyed the part about breast milk and how Jaminet researched how it supplies our nutritional needs as infants. I found that fascinating. Especially the ratios of fat/carb/protein. This WOE is truly a process and I love that I notice small changes along the way. Yes, I still have some of the forbidden foods. Jaminet does mention that soaking oats and beans can make them toxin free. I know I will sporadically have oats, black beans and black eye peas, but definitely not the same way that I used to have them.

Blonde,
I am still recuperating and hope to start seeing big improvements in my energy soon. One thing that I wanted to share, is that I never gained weight from transitioning to 8 hour window from JUDDD. Don't know how that happened? My weight loss is slow, but it was during JUDDD as well. Also, I do notice that I feel the effects of Sirt-1 still. Nancy (Gotsomeold) explained that autophagy is present during the 16 hour period in the same manner as it is in the ADF. Really cool.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, The best part is we figured out a glass of wine won't break the fast. There is no protein in wine and the 16 hours is specifically "protein sparing". I try to have my wine with dinner, but you know every once in a while it may be a bit after dinner. And for the time being, I am severely limiting my wine. Till I get to my goal anyway.
Closed Thread