Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hello everyone,

Lindy, Your kefir is working miracles for everyone. My scoby still hasn't arrived, so I am sending off an email today to find out what happened?

Wow! Mama, you really have hopped on the PHD train. I have had an excellent summer of PHD, but for some reason yesterday, I went overboard on gluten free pizza. It is out of this world and I need to learn to restrict for sure.

I just listened to another excellent podcast about Circadian Rhythm and depression by Jaminet. This is good to share with all friends and family who work odd hours or graveyard shift.

He discusses the following...
•Circadian rhythms and what and why you should eat during DAYLIGHT hours
•Exercise and how it’s results are affected by working out at different times in the day
•The link between depression, sickness, social anxiety and diet (Very important topic)
•Paul’s “perfect day of eating”

Go to Not Just Paleo and Podcast #25.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 07-19-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting study that shows the connection with insulin resistance and diabetes to Parkinsons and Alzheimers. This might help explain how coconut oil & MCT's are excellent for brain health due to their ability to raise ketones. I have my mother who is 75 taking her coconut oil in her daily coffee, but I may should encourage her to try to up this amount?

Insulin linked to brain diseases (Science Alert)

BRAIN FUEL METABOLISM, AGING AND ALZHEIMER
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Good evening, ladies, hope your day was great. It was hot as all getout in La today. My weight is up a couple of lbs so I must back off the "extra" things not on the plan. Stiill going strong and happy.

Sunday, I fermented two pints of corn, asparagus, and yellow squash and a qt. Yesterday I did a qt of tomato salsa and let me tell you it's terrific. I am so proud of myself. I've always procrastinated on doing anything new but now I can't stop. SIL Clint is ecstatic on my cleaning habits lately. I have been deep cleaning the kitchen. Needed it. The house if only a year old and still looks new, but his mother was a fiend at cleaning and he was used to it.

I move in with Clint and Aimee 18 mo ago. The apt was lonely and my health was so bad. I did no cleaning or shopping. Aimee did it for me. After I moved in with them I started feeling a little better but didn't start getting strength back until I started LC in March. Now look at me. I can climb mountains. Love to all.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, Love that you can climb mountains! I can almost taste your homemade salsa.

Just read this on PHD and thought I would share...

Quote:
Question from David~

During the last 2-3 hours of IF and autophagy is it okay to take supplements like mag, zinc, vit C, probiotics, etc?

Paul Jaminet Yes but most of those would be better taken with food. Probiotics are good to take fasting. Vitamin C is OK.

David~ How about Vitamin D?

Paul Jaminet It's better absorbed with food. You can take it fasted but you'll need a higher dose to have the same effect.

David ~ Thanks. Vitamin D is tricky in that regard as I'm taking it in the morning (as recommended to support the circadian rhythm) but it's also when I'm fasting.
The other PHDers recommended that he take his Vit D w/ MCT oil, which is how I have been taking mine.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone take the adrenal cocktail? Just wondering, because I belong to the Magnesium Advocacy Group and have decided to try this. I remember reading somewhere on the LCF forums that this is excellent.
I will make mine with lemon as I am in love with lemons.
Quote:
What is important is that this mixture should be taken at least once or twice/day, and please be sure that it is taken away from food to have the optimal benefit.

4 Oz. of Orange Juice – fresh squeezed is best, but not essential (the Vit-C makes sure that the minerals noted below get to the Liver to then nourish the Adrenals)
1/4 tsp of Cream of Tartar (this is an excellent source of Potassium)
1/4 tsp of fresh ground Himalayan Sea Salt (this is an excellent source of Sodium & other minerals)

What we recommend is that our clients prepare a Thermos at the start of the day with enough liquid for two (2) applications (i.e. at least 8 Oz. of O.J.) and drink it mid-morning, as well as mid-afternoon. In addition, any time that you are feeling particularly anxious it would be advisable to prepare another mixture and take it.
Lisa on PHD ~

Quote:
The adrenal cocktail really helps with fatigue. I find that the cream of tartar (source of potassium) is what's needed to help balance the sodium. 1/4 tsp unrefined mineral salt, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 8 oz fresh squeezed oj (I personally use fresh squeezed lemon/lime juice with water and stevia.) Drink twice a day. I have also found that eating in the eight hour window to be really helpful at balancing hunger. It makes one plan meals better. I no longer even think about eating at night! Also, have you looked up Borax treatment to kill candida. Yeah, I thought it was a little nuts to drink Borax but it does work amazingly well and in a short period of time. Borax (sodium tetraborate) is boron which regulates magnesium. Everyone is super deficient in magnesium and need various sources. RBC mag is the best test for it. Anyway, adrenal cocktails, tripling my mag intake, iodine and Borax have shot my immune system into another world. I'm getting closer to becoming optimally well after dragging my tired body around despite eating healthy. It's bloody hot here and I'm still doing great...did hot yoga back to back days and then pulled weeds for 1 1/2 hours followed by lots of manual work. I'm still going strong. NO fatigue!

Last edited by sunday; 07-20-2013 at 09:36 PM..
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For those who have reached goal and worry about losing weight with the 16 hour fast, Paul Jaminet addresses this concern...

Quote:
Question~When I follow PhD with 16h fasting, I tend to lose weight. This is not a good thing as I am 75kg for about 1.9m, which means I'm already quite lean. Am I doing something wrong?

Jaminet~
Fasting doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss but it does make it easier to undereat. I would focus on doing resistance exercise twice a week to promote muscle and bone growth, and make sure you are eating sufficient collagen (bone and joint stocks/soups/stews, tendon, ox hooves, chicken feet, etc) and vitamin C. Make sure your diet is balanced and has adequate carbs/starches.
I have reached the point where my weight is not budging again. In my past history, I have capitulated when stalling and in due time I begin gaining or lose my stride. Something is different now that I am eating Perfect Health wise? I actually don't have a qualm about sitting here as long as my scale doesn't begin to climb. I can feel the toning and very excited to add more resistance training. It seems that when we become stressed or even panic, is when we head down the wrong path.

Last edited by sunday; 07-21-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'd agree that stress hormones will have an adverse effect for some people when it comes to stalling their fat loss or messing up their body composition.

Sunday, I'm so pleased that things feel different for you - long may that continue.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have had the cocktail 2x today and it is definitely doable. It doesn't taste bad, but of course, I love limes. I am ramping up for the busy, busy couple of weeks that I am headed in to, which always seem to cause me quite a bit of stress.

Also, I have decided to try the tasteless oil 2x a day in between meals and see if I notice anything different in my appetite or in leptin releasing fat. It is interesting that this seems to work so well for some. I will report back if it does anything at all for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hm, I suppose that I could do that quite easily as a variation within the ketogenic approach - it's worth looking into if it would shift my set-point.

For people who are interested in changing their reaction to sweet tastes, you might want to look at: umm, ok, why aren't we all using gynema???

If I say so myself, the goat liver and heart pate has been well received as have the various goat meatloaves

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-22-2013 at 01:13 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Slowsure, I am off to a very busy day today, but I will take my EVCO and hope to see what the day brings. Yes, I have heard of gynema and think it may be the answer for my BFF! She suffers with sweet addiction. Especially sugar. She says that she was never required to eat the right foods as a child and so as a result, she could live on ice cream and mac-n-cheese.

I am different in that I suffer with the yearning for wine and then about an hour later the craves for dark chocolate. So, I resolved that by only allowing myself a glass on Sat or Sun. I used to have one Pinot G w/ my dinner pretty regularly. I realize that some people can do this, but for some reason it causes me to have ZERO losses. So frustrating.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
If I say so myself, the goat liver and heart pate has been well received as have the various goat meatloaves
Well I have 3 wethers being raised for meat this year Altho, I think I will keep only one as my freezer is full of the steer that was processed earlier this year. Interesting. My midwife adopted a son from Kenya and there is a whole clan of kenyans who come to my farm regularly for goat milk, eggs, and to slaughter an occasional goat. Very interesting! They brought our family an authentic traditoinal kenyan meal last year! It was delicious... Recently they processed a year old whether at my house and his pregnant wife will be nourished on this thru her pregnancy...he will have none of it - it was for her.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

I am slowly introducing the things that should be addressed in my diet. I'm eating very very PhD ish, but missing some things like bone broth. I will get ahold of that today, and try to drink a cup of it everyday. As far as the powder, how much do you think would be a good daily amount? You probably can't overdoo it, but would love an amount to work with. I have started taking biotin this week, so hopefully I won't be bald by next week! That would be really bad Feeling good, still a little sluggish, but I'm thinking it may be a b12 deficiency. I have some sublinqual drops so I may take some of that. Maybe up my ACV too Hope everyone has a wonderful day - PhD style!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Hey Mama, sounds like you really have it going on. Love the kenyon story. For the broth, I use a teaspoon of gelatin and same with butter. It makes it just like homemade. So good.

Sunday, I am so stoked. I found a local couple that is into sustainabilty on farming. I can buy pork fat to render, chickens and beef. All grass fed and a way to get my eggs. This is hugh for me because I can't afford a lot of it but will be able to make my broth and the eggs will be worth the expense. They also have a farmers market at their home on Thursdays with all the non-GMO veggies. Love it. They even have turkeys. Yea!!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

What is the consencious on rice cakes? I love them...they are really one of the very few frankenfoods I eat
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey mama, like we say, none of us are 100% perfect but strive to keep out the toxins as much as possible. I have eaten foods with gluten without realizing it many times, we just do what we know and when we have a treat or an nonPHD food, it is not a big deal. I am not so sure that rice cakes would be that bad except for the veggie oils and possible non-organic.

Thanks Lindy for the news! You have me wishing I lived next door. I would be drinking your kefir and kombucha.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all! I must express how much I am loving the adrenal cocktail. This is day 3 of my cocktail and it is helping me nurture my adrenals.

I have been doing 2x per day. At least one hour before eating.

1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
1/4 tsp of sea salt w/ iodine
one whole lime squeezed into 8 oz of water (any type of Vit C drink) orange or lemon will do as well.

Last edited by sunday; 07-23-2013 at 06:02 AM..
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Just thought I would share that I made some homemade dressing using olive oil and put it in the fridge. It solidified That means that it is the real deal baby. Check your olive oil by putting some in the fridge. If it doesn't solidify you have a bunch of Pufa's in there yuck! canola or worse yet soy...nooo run my PhD friends, run to get your evoo and test it!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Morning all! I must express how much I am loving the adrenal cocktail. This is day 3 of my cocktail and it is helping me nurture my adrenals.

I have been doing 2x per day. At least one hour before eating.

1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
1/4 tsp of sea salt w/ iodine
one whole lime squeezed into 8 oz of water (any type of Vit C drink) orange or lemon will do as well.

Where do you get your sea salt with iodine? Do you supplement with iodine?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mama, I meant to tell you that I love the story about Kenyans. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I am supping a bit because I don't eat enough seaweed, so I am definitely supping for my thyroid. I use Hain's Iodized Sea Salt, it is only 1.97 for a huge thing of it from the Natural Grocer. I noticed that Morton's is now selling iodized sea salt. There is an Italian Sea Salt by Trapani that is iodized, but it is costly.

My thyroid loves the 2 brazil nuts, 1 oyster and my new adrenal cocktail with iodine. The cream of tartar is an excellent source of potassium.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

I'm lovin coconut cream in my coffee this morning! Struggled for a long time trying to figure out how not to end a fast cuz' I really want to do this because I have researched the subject a ton. That is what originally led me to JUDD. I lost 7 lbs. in 2 months doing that...IF is so good for your longevity and i need to be around a long time especially for my special needs young man

That being said...the stats on coconut cream is 16 g fat, 2 g protein, 4 g carbs. That is for a 1/3 cup which, by the time the morning is done, is probably what I will consume. Does anyone see a problem with it? I look at the contents of a bullet proof coffee and it I am sure it has some protein from the butter?

I hope everyone has a great day today! I came out this morning to my kitchen where one of our hens was sitting on my deck pecking my window! I think I need to trim some wings today so much for pastured chickens! Sheesh
Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
I'm lovin coconut cream in my coffee this morning! Struggled for a long time trying to figure out how not to end a fast cuz' I really want to do this because I have researched the subject a ton. That is what originally led me to JUDD. I lost 7 lbs. in 2 months doing that...IF is so good for your longevity and i need to be around a long time especially for my special needs young man

That being said...the stats on coconut cream is 16 g fat, 2 g protein, 4 g carbs. That is for a 1/3 cup which, by the time the morning is done, is probably what I will consume. Does anyone see a problem with it? I look at the contents of a bullet proof coffee and it I am sure it has some protein from the butter?

I hope everyone has a great day today! I came out this morning to my kitchen where one of our hens was sitting on my deck pecking my window! I think I need to trim some wings today so much for pastured chickens! Sheesh
Seems like it would be fine.

Funny chicken wanted some breakfast, or maybe looking for her eggs?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cici!

hmmm, something happened to my post? I just wanted to tell Mama that I believe this will be fine and that Jaminet & Kresser have said that the 14 hour fast is going to be the same autophagy benefits for women as the 16 hour for men. I will try and dig up the quote for you all.

I have created an amazing PHD dessert that I am in love with.
I take 1/4 cup of kefir and mix with 1/2 cup of full fat greek plain yogurt. Then I mix in several cherries and a bunch of blueberries. Mix it up really good and it tastes just like decadent ice cream. So delish and cold for summer day.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MamatoMany: You've got to end your fast with something and that's a good combination. I, too, want to thank you for that charming story about the Kenyans.

Sunday: that sounds like a delightfully tangy dessert.

Cici
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Hi Cici!

hmmm, something happened to my post? I just wanted to tell Mama that I believe this will be fine and that Jaminet & Kresser have said that the 14 hour fast is going to be the same autophagy benefits for women as the 16 hour for men. I will try and dig up the quote for you all.

I have created an amazing PHD dessert that I am in love with.
I take 1/4 cup of kefir and mix with 1/2 cup of full fat greek plain yogurt. Then I mix in several cherries and a bunch of blueberries. Mix it up really good and it tastes just like decadent ice cream. So delish and cold for summer day.
OMG. I drop in and what do I find?!
I'm going to try this with our raspberries. The blueberries are gone.
Thanks, Sunday.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love to see you Kristin!

I have one more excellent PHD meal that I will share as soon as I get back in tonight!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all PHDers!

If anyone has MCT oil in the house, you may want to start adding it to your daily routine. I have been experimenting the last 3 days as the flavorless oil study suggests and it is working! I think?

I am down 3.6 lbs in 3 days simply by taking 1 tbsp of MCT oil 2x per day one hour before eating and no flavors before or after.

Please read more here...
Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting

I am still eating PHD foods and in fact I have had a blowout day of 1800 cals plus and still lost. I will keep tracking and continue on to see if I need to change anything. Abigail, is eating plain foods with no spice and that may be what I try today, just to see what the difference is?

So, friends just one more tool in the fat fighting arsenal. Hope it is going to continue to work!

Keep calm & carry on.

Last edited by sunday; 07-25-2013 at 05:22 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great answer from Tatertot to someone who is asking Paul on Q&A about higher LDL and it being difficult to resolve with higher fat diet. In brief, EAT YOUR VEGGIES! And don't forget the RS!!! It truly is the best part of our PHD plan.

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I was going through the same high ldl problem with low carb paleo. What I believe made the biggest correction in my ldl was the addition of 30-50g/day of fermentable fiber in my diet, mainly by targeting foods high in soluble fiber and resistant starch and also supplementing with a few spoonfuls of potato starch on days when I didn’t eat as many fibrous veggies as I should have.

I think if everyone implements the PHD as it is written, with a focus on getting the veggie portion every day, and especially choosing veggies high in fiber and oligosaccharides (raw onion, garlic, leeks, jerusalem artichokes, etc…) and eating much of the safe starches in a cooked and cooled condition, this will provide enough dietary fiber in the right proportions of soluble fiber and resistant starch to correct any cholesterol deficiency that is not familial in nature.

People eating the PHD should be eating lots of vegetables. I think that the veggie portion is the hardest to adhere to as it requires much more thoughtful and frequent shopping unless one has access to a fully stocked salad bar every day. A side salad with iceberg lettuce and a few cherry tomatoes doesn’t cut it! I try to eat 15-30 different plants every day–it’s easier than you’d think–total weight of these veggies (including fruit and starches) is about 3 pounds, and rarely do I eat lettuce.

I think the veggie portion, not the fruit, starch, or meat, is the biggest factor in cholesterol management–skimping in this department is doing yourself a disfavor!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One more awesome delightful PHD treat...

Bacon-Guaco Sammies

Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Great answer from Tatertot to someone who is asking Paul on Q&A about higher LDL and it being difficult to resolve with higher fat diet. In brief, EAT YOUR VEGGIES! And don't forget the RS!!! It truly is the best part of our PHD plan.

Quote:

Bacon-Guaco Sammies

FOOD PORN!Good grief that looks good.!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:

Bacon-Guaco Sammies

Yum!!!

I make guacamole with bacon instead of onion because raw onion gives me stomach aches.

Wow, that looks so good!
Closed Thread