Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/116/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
Can someone or ones expound on the ketogenic aspect of PhD. How it would benefit a person, and how it would be accomplished?
It's not a general recommendation, you'd have to have a very strong need to benefit from it before deciding to experiment with it.

I'm currently headache-free which is a huge benefit. I've somewhat complicated matters by sticking to a JUDDD schedule for other effects but the ketogenic PHD means that my DD food is mostly several drinks with MCT oil in them (I don't have the kcals allowance for anything else). My UD menu is also influenced by so many kcals already being allotted to the MCT.

Paul Jaminet recommends a small amount of carbohydrate, moderate protein and supplementing with MCT (Sunday gave his recommendations earlier in the thread).

Aside from that, people like Dr Emily Deans of the blog Evolutionary Psychiatry have written several good pieces about ketosis, the brain, and ketogenic diets.
Your brain on ketones
Fat loss, mood and cognition (several parts)
Ketogenic Diets and Bipolar Disorder (several parts)
Alzheimer's, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Ketosis

I like Dean's concluding paragraph from that last piece:
Quote:
Avoid the neolithic dietary agents of disease (I count them as many paleo types do as wheat, fructose, and vegetable oils), not to mention other novel fake foods we were never designed to eat, just to be safe. Ratchet down the carbs if you have love handles or metabolic syndrome. Dabble with ketosis by intermittent fasting, coconut oil, very low carb, or all three depending on your own personal brain status. There's plenty left to eat that is gorgeous and yummy. And you get to keep your brain.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
If I remember correctly, Paul indicated that breast milk is ketogenic! I thought that was very interesting. It sparked my interest as i was listening to another podcast where he talked about ketogenic Phding, and I was curious what everyone thought. Was it a kayaking injury Slowsure that has caused your headaches? I'm so happy that you have found relief from them. I have a neighbor who has been diagnosed with disautonomia and he suffers terribly from headaches and unregulated body temp. It is awful...he is like 35 and completely disabled. Praying everyday for a miracle!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

One other thing...my hair is falling out at unbelievable rates! It looked like a small mouse in the drain this morning...HELP! I take an excellent multi, and separate: mag complex, resveratol, melatonin (6 mg), vit. c & d if I don't get in the sunshine, vitex, and adrenal support. I have been hacking the last 3 days doing a keifer smoothie, with chlorophyll, and dehydrated kale wit blueberries and l-glutamine...aaahhhh..
Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Mama, Go and get you biotin at the HFS. I have been taking it for about a year and it is amazing for skin and hair! If you search on LCF, I believe there is a thread specifically related to biotin.

From Natural News...

Quote:
Biotin or Vitamin B7 (originally known as vitamin H) is one of the components of the B complex of vitamins. Biotin is required to turn sugar into energy. It is also part of the pathway for synthesizing fat in the body because it enables the function of the enzyme acetyl Co-A carboxylase, which builds fat molecules, and fat is an important component in the walls of every cell. Biotin is especially important to the skin cells as they are frequently replaced due to their exposure to the outside environment. Symptoms of biotin deficiency are cradle cap in infants and seborrheic dermatitis in adults. Biotin also protects the nervous system, preventing seizures, ataxia and loss of muscle tone. Biotin has been shown to regrow hair and even reverse premature graying. An added benefit to biotin supplementation is a reduction in stress reactions, as biotin is also an important component of the nerves. Stress can cause hair loss, so adding biotin to the diet gives protection both to the hair follicles and to the nerves that support their proper function.

Dosage of Biotin
Daily doses as high as 60 mg a day can be taken for long periods, as there have not been any reports of biotin toxicity. Studies with biotin supplementation of 500 mg a day have shown results in hair restoration and reversal of hair graying.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Biotin is found in egg yolk and liver. So, you should be receiving some of the benefits as Paul's recommendation, although supplementing with biotin is not a bad idea. It is very inexpensive as well.

Natrol Cinnamon/ Biotin/ Chromium

Jarrow Formulas Biotin
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am reading of good results for Raynaud's using the ketogenic PHD. Paul says that we can remain ketogenic while ingesting 200 cals of carbs daily as in safe starches. But if you lapse on the carbs, you may have some side effects.

Q & A -

Quote:
I have been temporarily experimenting with a keto-version of PHD. My goal was to do a “spring cleaning” of sorts from some unhealthy eating habits and increase my mental sharpness for a large work project. I’ve been drinking a lot of bullet proof coffee, eating eggs, butter, coconut oil, some meat, and few veggies. Also, some heavy cream. I’m on day 8 of fewer than 50 grams of carbs. On nights 6 and 7 I had SEVERE night terrors. They even got physically violent (so says my wife.) With a little research, I found a potential link with night time hypoglycemia.

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned? Should this pass as my brain becomes more keto adapted? Should I ditch keto and just eat the 100-150 grams of starch? Could this be a symptom of something else?

Thanks for any help.
Paul's reply...

Quote:
Hi Patrick,

You can still be ketogenic while eating adequate amounts of starch. You don’t want to starve yourself of carbs, that can have all sorts of negative consequences, as you’ve experienced.
If you google search, the quote below, it will take you to Paul Jaminet's reasoning for making sure that you have some carbs while doing keto PHD.

Quote:
You can see in panel A that rats on the control diet weighed more than rats on the ketogenic diet. But panel B shows that rats on the ketogenic diet had more white adipose tissue (WAT). The ketogenic diet rats had more fat mass but less body mass; they had obviously lost muscle and bone mass.

I believe this is due to eating too little protein and carbohydrate. Protein+carbs were 13% on the ketogenic diet, 75% on the control diet. 13% is just too little. For humans, we recommend a minimum protein+carb intake of 600 calories per day, which is about 30% of calories for a sedentary adult. Rats kept in shoebox cages are, of course, sedentary whether they would like to be or not.

I draw two conclusions:

1. If you’re deficient in protein+carb, you’ll lose muscle; and

2. Losing muscle may invoke the starvation response, causing you to gain fat.

The paper did not measure length of the rats, but I would bet that the ketogenic diet rats were not only lighter, but shorter as well.

Like the children on Johns Hopkins Hospital’s diet for epilepsy, these malnourished rats experienced stunted growth
Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, he says that it is wise to supp w/ BCAA's, lysine & leucine while Ketogenic.

Quote:
What is the alternative?

As we discussed in the first post in this series, Ketogenic Diets, I: Ways to Make a Diet Ketogenic, there are 3 ways to make a diet ketogenic. One of them is severe protein+carb restriction, but the other two – short-chain fat consumption and supplementation of the ketogenic amino acids lysine and leucine – can generate ketosis even if substantial carbs and protein are eaten.

So it’s worth exploring: with consumption of these ketogenic nutrients, plus substantial carbs and protein, can the health impairments of clinical ketogenic diets be avoided?

Via Nigel Kinbrum comes an interesting paper [3] exploring the use of branched-chain amino acids as an adjunct to ketogenic diets for epileptic children. Most branched-chain amino acids are ketogenic, so this is a good test of my hypothesis.

The study supplemented 45.5 g leucine, 30 g isoleucine, and 24.5 g valine to 17 epileptic children on the ketogenic diet. Leucine is ketogenic, valine glucogenic, isoleucine can be either. The results:

None of our patients had a remarkable reduction in the level of urine ketosis after the supplementation of branched chain amino acids. Moreover, no exacerbation of seizures in terms of frequency or intensity was noted in any of the 17 patients of the study.

Regarding the improvement of seizures, we found 3 patients who had already achieved a reduction of seizures on the ketogenic diet to experience a complete cessation of seizures, while 2 other patients had a further reduction of seizures from 70% on ketogenic diet to 90%. In 2 other patients, the percentage of improvement with the branched chain amino acids supplementation was even greater, achieving 50% and 60% before branched chain amino acids supplementation to 80% and 90% afterward. One patient had 50% improvement (Table 1)….

According to the parents’ and teachers’ reports, improvement was noted regarding behavior and cognitive functions in 9 of 17 patients, particularly in the fields of concentration, learning ability, and communication skills with other children. It is remarkable that 1 of our children had improved so much that she is now applying to attend normal grade level for her age. [3]
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
One other thing...my hair is falling out at unbelievable rates! It looked like a small mouse in the drain this morning...HELP! I take an excellent multi, and separate: mag complex, resveratol, melatonin (6 mg), vit. c & d if I don't get in the sunshine, vitex, and adrenal support. I have been hacking the last 3 days doing a keifer smoothie, with chlorophyll, and dehydrated kale wit blueberries and l-glutamine...aaahhhh..

Right on!!!
Seriously, how has that been for you? I've been thinking about fasting 1 day a week. Just fluids (kefir). I got my sprouting kit this week. I need to start doing it and adding to my smoothies. I've never had so much fruit in my life. At least 2 pcs a day. So good.

Everybody stay safe and happy.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Sunday, are you alright? Just checking.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lindy! Yes, I should have warned all PHD friends that July and Aug are my swamped months. I prepare for Fall semester and it is keeping me in meetings and feeling a bit overwhelmed. Good news, I am retiring from my accounting job at the University, but still have the alternate job as advisor to a group of 150 college students (male). It is really what I should be retiring from! Hopefully, that will happen for me soon enough.

I hope all of you were able to catch this last interview of Paul on PaleoDiet++ blog! Dee is a regular poster over at Mark Sisson's site and had some great observations. Paul posted a link on his home page if you would like to read it in full.

A few of my fav questions~

Quote:
1. What was your motivation for writing the book? There are a lot of Paleo/Primal books out there by the likes of Cordain and Sisson, what sets your book apart?

Paul~
“I spent 15 years floundering trying to understand my chronic illness and get help from medical doctors with no success. Then I found Paleo, found it made a difference but caused problems as well as improvements, and spent five years of fairly arduous study figuring out how to improve it before curing my condition. After this 20 year journey was successful, I was convinced that millions of other people were probably suffering from similar chronic ailments that were addressable by diet and lifestyle, but that no one should have to go through the 20 years of groping that I had, and that most people would be incapable of curing their own problems even in 20 years – after all, I was a fairly well-functioning intelligent person with scientific training who had been willing to set his career aside to pursue health, and it still took me many years. So, having worked out a diet and lifestyle that I was convinced would heal many others’ disease, I felt I had an obligation to take a few years from my life and set out what I had learned in a cogent and persuasive way, so that others could learn from it and benefit from it.”

2. In your book, you mention of a “medical revolution” (Preface) through food and diet. Are you worried that you might ruffle some feathers within the established medical and pharmaceutical community?

PJ~
“No. The pharmaceutical approach to medicine has turned out to be a blind alley, by and large. Better ideas are needed and should spread whether it ruffles feathers or not. We need a fair test of sound natural healing methods against standard pharmaceutical approaches, not an unsupported presumption that pharmaceutical medicine is superior.”

Obviously you’re a “safe starch” Paleo/Primal dieter because you list what you consider healthful carbohydrates in your book, how do you answer to strict Paleo dieters (Robb Wolf, Nora Gedgaudas) who even considers tubers such as yams and sweet potatoes to be unsafe and not necessary since our body can produce glucose from protein?

PJ~
“Well, Robb has come out in support of some carbs. It is mistaken to think that carbs are inherently harmful, in moderation carbohydrate is nutritious for us. The body’s ability to generate some glucose from amino acids doesn’t change the nutritive value of carbs, because on very low-carb and high-protein diets, only part of the body’s glucose needs are met through gluconeogenesis (manufacture of glucose from protein) and the rest are postponed, under the evolutionary assumption that carb deprivation is temporary and carbs will soon become available. The metabolic and hormonal adaptations that achieve this postponement of glucose utilization are harmful if persisted in for long periods of time. There is another angle to this: carbohydrates only become harmful at low doses in certain pathological conditions. A negative reaction to carbs is diagnostic of these pathologies. Some in the low-carb community assume that if carbs do cause problems, the proper response is to avoid carbs for the rest of one’s life. No, the proper response is to cure the pathology that has made one carb intolerant. There may be a few genetic conditions where no cure is possible, but commonly the problem is a bacterial overgrowth or infection in the gut and it is quite treatable or curable by natural means. There is no good reason for people to be forced to forgo carbs for the rest of their life. Nor is starving the body of carbs likely to generate long-term health.”

I’m a big believer in eating food to increase intelligence, do you have a “smart diet” in which you eat only certain foods to be smarter or more productive with your work?

“I generally consider the “smart diet” to be the same as the diet that is most healthful for the body. By and large, the brain and body share a common physiology and the diet that best supports bodily health will also support brain health. I am cautious toward nootropic compounds, I am not confident they have no negative long-term effects. Some key dietary steps for brain health: omega-6/omega-3 balance; a fat-rich carb-moderate diet; a low-polyunsaturated fat diet; a cholesterol and choline rich diet (liver, egg yolks); balanced mineral intake (especially zinc/copper, iodine/selenium, magnesium); vitamin A/D/K2 optimization; intermittent fasting; consumption of coconut milk and other ketogenic fats; exercise; healthy sleep and circadian rhythm entrainment.”

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 07-13-2013 at 05:47 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know that some of you have listened to me moan about my fear of "eating out". I really don't know when this change occurred, but it seemed to dramatically become stronger as I started gaining my health. I have what is called "fast food phobia". And actually it is the same with chain restaurants as well. I know this is psychologicall, but truly don't know if I am simply phobic or if it has something to do with trying to attain "perfect health".

Anyway, my son sent me this video that has recently went viral about the Golden Corral employee who posted about their health department inspections. Unfortunately, we don't know what goes on behind the curtain when eating out.

Be warned! This will ire you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy25froytEI

Last edited by sunday; 07-13-2013 at 06:13 AM..
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Bummer. Lost my post
Old 07-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CiCi! I miss you friend. Thinking about you and hope all is well.

E.W. posted an interesting link about the 16:8 fasting. I wanted to bring it here since it is one of the PHD factors as well.

Salk study may offer drug-free intervention to prevent obesity and diabetes - Salk Institute - News Release

I am loving 16:8 and will continue to do this for life. As long as I continue to shrink, I will not add in the JUDDD to the equation, however, I am thinking strongly that it actually may get me to goal faster and so I am pondering. I have healed my thyroid or so it appears and that was one reason that I was abstaining from the longer fasts. And, I had some terribly cold periods where I couldn't sleep because I was freezing.

The best part of eating in a window is what it has done for my sleep. I can't stress this benefit enough. Especially, for any who are have sleep disorder or circadian disruption the 16:8 is fabulous!

Quote:
Scientists have long assumed that the cause of diet-induced obesity in mice is nutritional; however, the Salk findings suggest that the spreading of caloric intake through the day may contribute, as well, by perturbing metabolic pathways governed by the circadian clock and nutrient sensors.

The Salk study found the body stores fat while eating and starts to burn fat and breakdown cholesterol into beneficial bile acids only after a few hours of fasting. When eating frequently, the body continues to make and store fat, ballooning fat cells and liver cells, which can result in liver damage. Under such conditions the liver also continues to make glucose, which raises blood sugar levels. Time-restricted feeding, on the other hand, reduces production of free fat, glucose and cholesterol and makes better use of them. It cuts down fat storage and turns on fat burning mechanisms when the animals undergo daily fasting, thereby keeping the liver cells healthy and reducing overall body fat.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I know that some of you have listened to me moan about my fear of "eating out". I really don't know when this change occurred, but it seemed to dramatically become stronger as I started gaining my health.
For a long time, we've been restricted to eating out for a social event but I've always had to pick it carefully because, with too few exceptions for the huge cost of eating out in the UK, I cook better than too many restaurants.

Now, I'd find it so difficult to navigate my way successfully through a menu - even in an independent, never mind a chain restaurant.

I don't know what the solution is but it seems that people can typically only make a successful business model from food that doesn't meet my quality standards/and or needs. I don't even look for food to be fabulous when eating out, just reliably adequate - and it seems that that is too much to ask for...
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure,
It does make me feel better to know that I am not alone. My fear is not to the extent that I can't eat out, but I am so selective now about where to eat, that I opt for the well known "family owned" restaurants. I quit eating at fast food restaurants probably about 6 years ago. On occasion, I have no choice due to being on the road or with a group who wants to stop.

I agree about home cooking, I bet your home cooking is especially good. I believe that I enjoy good health and maybe this is the precursor to wanting to be selective about what I eat? Never worry, I will not allow this to turn me into a recluse.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have a neighbor who has been diagnosed with disautonomia and he suffers terribly from headaches and unregulated body temp. It is awful...he is like 35 and completely disabled. Praying everyday for a miracle!
E.W. posted Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet and I recommend it as one of the papers I looked at when researching my WOE for migraine control.

afaik, there are very few trials for this diet and neurological conditions (and your neighbour's is, sadly, a very broad category and if it's the chronic, progressive, generalised sort then that has a substantial impact, as you outline).

Dr Terry Wahl has had considerable success in managing her MS with diet (the diet has changed substantially so it's important to look at her more recent recommendations). Dr Mary Newport reports significant progress in managing her husband's Alzheimer's Disease through the use of coconut oil etc.

It's difficult to anticipate what would work for people with neurological disorders.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I agree about home cooking, I bet your home cooking is especially good.
I am a good cook. I have a number of friends who are cookery writers or chefs and I cook for them without qualms. But, I've been cooking for the family since I was 5yrs-old (my mother was unwell) so I've had so much experience that little can flummox me. Cooking is mostly about being able to put things together and then fix it if it's not gone according to plan.

Too often, I don't understand how the Duty Manager at a pass failed to see how bad a plate of food looked before it was sent out. It's why, in the UK, I tell servers/managers that something is amiss but I don't expect them to learn from it because we obviously have very different standards. If they couldn't see a sauce was split and curdled before it was even served to us, and that they'd overcooked the fish and forgotten to remove the blood line from the prawns - it's not as if they're about to have a revelation following a complaint.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Hey, Ladies, a very good day for me. Made a new batch of kombucha. Loving it. My daughter, Jenny, from Austin called me today and said that she was interested in finding out what I've been talking (incessantly) about on my diet. Her DD Niki has Downs and is really not well and acting up. I told her to get some kefir and get her on it. It has a mood stabilizer and will calm her down. God, it was great having a really receptive audience. Other DD Brandi is also on board so only holdout is Aimee who I live with. Jenny's DH is so on board about wholesome organic eating. Yea!!!

I went to the grocery store yesterday and on the way I stopped at a yardsale. I found a big plastic container of qt mason jars. So I bought them. I can't use them for fermenting because no room in fridge or kitchen for that matter. But I truly believe that I found them for a reason. I've decided to take a bunch of them filled with kefir to some of the ladies (all elderly) at the apt complex I lived at last year.

When SIL Clint was unloading the groceries I told him to put the container in the storeroom and I'd take care of it later. He said "What in the world do you need these for". So I told him. Aimee and he looked at me as if I was insane. Truly. Remember the old movie, Blues Brothers? I'm on a mission from God.... Too funny. They absolutely have no sense of humor at this.

Just got off the phone from Jenny. She called to tell me that a facebook lady I had run down in Austin for her is meeting her this evening to bring her both MK grain and a kombucha scoby. Fantastic. Just being in the right place on Facebook today. Yes, a very good day... Love to all.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure! Love your avi! You are right! Cooking is the art of knowing how to take what you have and make a dish, even when it doesn't always turn out as the recipe suggests. Oh, my, I have some humorous stories about a few of my own cooking fiasco's. I do love to cook, but only when DH cleans the pots & pans.

Lindy, Never worry! I am hooked on PHD and all things healthy. I am here for the long haul.
Hope your daughter knows what to do with her scoby! Mine still hasn't made it. I hope that it didn't get lost by UPS.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, Keeping my fingers crossed for dear granddaughter Niki. It would be wonderful to see this help her.

Tell the SIL Clint to "simmah down now, everything is going to be alright."
Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, thank you. I loathe photographs so much that this was a very big step for me to take and you're all being so supportive.

Lindy, it would be so good if this helped your GD and assorted relatives and friends. I have a truly massive number of jars, tins and tubs and that's because I make food for various neighbours and friends so always need a huge supply to cope with this.

We all need a cold room then we wouldn't have to worry about running out of space in a fridge for all of our various fermentation goodies.

A propos, I made sauerkraut with Savoy cabbages last time because I needed to use them up and DH has never previously liked it so much as he does this batch (I normally use drumhead/white cabbage). He ate the previous batches and didn't dislike them but he is really enjoying this one.

So, between the sauerkraut and kimchi, plus all of the usual pickles that we make/eat - plus we've had kombucha and kefir for some years, I suppose his diet is better than I sometimes think it is. It's probably nearer 90/10 than 80/20.

I should mention that we normally just drink our kombucha plain or brewed with white or green tea, so I've learned a lot from you here about how to flavour it in different ways. I wish that I had the carb/calorie allowance to experiment but I don't at present while I continue my modified ketogenic diet.

Further to which, I've had the occasional background headache and a few episodes of throbs - but although I get the usual corollary symptoms of migraine (swelling, bruising, loss of smell/taste, running nose, GI troubles) I haven't had a migraine set in since I started (with the exception of when I ran out of MCT oil for a few days).

MCT is using up a vast amount of my calories and I do have flashes of resentment about this and its consequences but it is a huge benefit to be migraine pain free and every time I have a small wistful thought about how much I wish that I could eat something, I have to remember that.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-16-2013 at 02:06 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got home about an hour ago and now I have the dehydrator (celeriac plus tomatoes) and the oven on (2x meatloaf and 2x Pâté and I baked 12 eggs in their shells) and I've just potted up more green pepper jelly (so the hob was on).

I've now retreated to the coolest part of the house and refuse to go back into the kitchen for a good 30 minutes as I can't take the heat or the humidity any longer.

Of course, this means that I've left a mountain of washing-up in the kitchen that will have to be done later but I've reached my limit.

I've had to drink extra broth today because I needed the salt. I'm been drinking a lot more water than usual to cope with the heat and I'm also 'glowing'* almost non-stop.

*My old school's euphemism: horses sweat, gentlemen perspire, ladies merely glow. Hah. They didn't cover the contingency of non-stop, copious glowing
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, here in my neck of the woods, the glow is quite "vivid" or "radiant". In brief, it is "humid as hades".

Okay, you speak of unflavored kombucha and I must know, what does that taste like??? Today I drank Guava and it was simply the most refreshing drink ever.

I guess it true, we all know when it is time to retire, the old grumpy Archaeologist who has been w/ our University forever wants to sit in my office and say nothing. Now, don't get me wrong, I like to talk and chit chat when I have time, but my friends, I have NO time. Not one teensy, tiny bit of spare time. I am sad to say I will be able to read now and then on this board, but rarely will have time to share in the next couple of months. We are getting ready for the beginning of semester. So, please feel free to talk my head off here. Because I will slip on to read. And Lindy, please continue to share your family with us! I adore your every word. SlowSure, Blonde, Cici, Mama and SeaBreezes, any words of wisdom I will enjoy. Merci Beaucoup.

Last edited by sunday; 07-16-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just noticed that Mamatomany has not been here since the 11th.

I hope she is well.

Please let us know if everything is okay.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Okay, you speak of unflavored kombucha and I must know, what does that taste like??? Today I drank Guava and it was simply the most refreshing drink ever.
Like tea that has taken on an apple juice flavour

I don't understand the people that let it stand until it becomes vinegary.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just noticed that Mamatomany has not been here since the 11th.

I hope she is well.

Please let us know if everything is okay.
Hi everyone! I'm on vacation eating chicken livers and drinking my Keifer still! Being excellent on vacation. Only one small splurge on chicken wings. You can't come to buffalo New York and not eat a chicken wing or two. Giant salads everyday and no processed anything! So we will be up north thru Friday...drive straight thru on Saturday. Fun times. Thinking about you all and just wanted to pop in and say hi
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm on vacation eating chicken livers and drinking my Keifer still! Being excellent on vacation. Only one small splurge on chicken wings. You can't come to buffalo New York and not eat a chicken wing or two. Giant salads everyday and no processed anything! So we will be up north thru Friday...drive straight thru on Saturday. Fun times. Thinking about you all and just wanted to pop in and say hi
This is great! Enjoy the wings!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really believe the daily 16 hour fasting is healing my body in many other ways, but most importantly my metabolism/thyroid. I am posting this on here for anyone who doesn't have a chance to read the PHD site. I reading good reports.

Allison Jones wrote~

Quote:
Excited to report that after only two days of 15hr overnight fasting, chronic thyroid pain/inflammation of 5 years has disappeared, just like that! I test negative to all the thyroid antibodies (tested twice) and it seems that my thyroid got infected with streptococcus after a throat infection as that's when it started (and strep keeps showing up as a problem in blood and stool tests). It's supposed to be rare, but at the time my immune system was depressed (igG 1 and 3 subclass deficiency) and vascularity (which protects the thyroid) was decreased according to an ultrasound.

I'm thrilled and amazed. I re-read the PHD chapter on fasting being good for intracellular pathogens like strep and decided to give it a shot, not expecting anything to happen so soon! I'm having a hard time getting specialists on board to help me battle strep even though I have support from my two GPs so I'm doing everything I can do myself to get on top of it.

Thank you Paul Jaminet for mentioning strep in particular in that chapter as that was what specifically got me motivated to do it.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Hey everybody, hope your day is going well. Mine is fine. But HOT... I solve that problem. I just don't go outside. I'm feeling so well these days. My stamina is going up so much. Which is good because DD Aimee's dog boarding business is going gangbusters. I can't help much with that but I can cook supper and do the laundry of towels for her.
Three months ago I wouldn't have been able to do that. I gained strength when I started PHD. Last night I got out two pictures taken last year and 4 mo ago. Last July I weighted close to 265 lbs. I lost down to 240 lbs then I started with LCF and LC. I still have only lost 12 lbs or so but lots of inches. 227. The pictures were amazing. Not only was I fat with big jowls but my eyes were sad. Both pictures. So noticeable compared to now. Still smile all the time..

I got Freida, my elderly neighbor, on kefir. It's been 10 days or so and she is talking about no pain in her knees. Yea.... This is the one that we were trying to talk into going into a nursing home because she was so much worse than we thought. This might be the one thing that will keep her at home.. Hope so.

Sunday, stay in touch so we know you are ok. Just a one liner will do. Love ya.

Haven't talked with Jenny in Austin since she got her kombucha setup. I'll be interested to see how well she does. Dying to know. Love to all
Old 07-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Oh Lindy, that is so exciting . Isn't it awesome when people actually listen to you and do what you tell them. I have spent the last week vacationing and anytime people say "wow you look amazing" I always respond "I'm PhDing it." It has been exciting. We will see tho...all my preachn and whippin out my book (love my Perfect Health Diet Book) hopefully someone will glean something. Even tho I am a novice at best to this diet...it is not rocket science! There is much illness and weight issues, hypothyroidism everywhere...vitamin d deficiencies - I think I can tell with my relatives! One foot in the grave half of them... Makes me sad! BUT as with anything you lead by example right! Hope everyone has a wonderful day...see you all regularly soon enough
Closed Thread