Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   June 2013 - New and Need HELP! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/805714-june-2013-new-need-help.html)

Shahar 06-07-2013 11:39 PM

June 2013 - New and Need HELP!

Hi all -

I am VERY new to Lean for Life - I started the program because a friend has used the system for many years and has had great results, and my sister used it last year and lost about 70 lbs.

Currently, I am in week 2, day 3. I have lost a total of 4lbs. even with the ups and downs....

What I am having the most problem with is that I am following the program - the food lists and menu guides in the book - as closely as I possibly can, and I seem to be fluctuating up and down - every other day I lose a 1/2 pound, then I go up a 1/2 pound the next day, etc. Also, my body seems to not want to maintain ketosis!

I tested VERY faint positive for ketosis on day 5 (having switched to the weight loss menu on day 4 event though I was not in ketosis, as recommended by the book) but then day 6 I was not in ketosis, so back to all protein days I went, then the next day I was back in VERY faint ketosis, so I added back in only 1 fruit and 1 salad, and one veggie for the day and back out I am again, so back onto protein days yesterday and today!

My carb intake for ALL days - whether protein or regular weight loss menu days has been under to just about 50 carbs. I was only getting about 30 during strict protein days, except yesterday when I had 51 - but I am counting things as 1 a lot (since the book mentions how many things actually do have carbs but legally can say none)

I seem to go between 8 and 10 servings of protein on Protein Only days -

This is what I have been choosing from each day - (I don't eat it all - I choose from the list)

FF Plain Yogurt with a packet of sweet -n- low

Mozzarella Cheese sticks (lowfat)

Hard Boiled Egg w/ salt

1/2C Lowfat Cottage Cheese - packet of Sweet -n- low and sprinkle of cinnamon

Turkey lunch meat (98% fat free)

1/2 protein bar - Pure Protein Revolution Bar - Cal. 180, Fat 6, Carb 17, Protein - 20 (for a whole bar)

Protein Shake - Cal 160, Fat 3, Carb 4, Protein 30

Roast beef lunch meat - 98% FF (only the first 2 days of week 1, then we ran out!)

Ham - Lean 98% FF - (twice during the first week, none in the last 3 days or so)

Chicken Breast - whatever the book says for a portion

Turkey Cutlets - 3 oz.

Ground Beef - as a beef bake with lowfat cheddar and a bell pepper (3oz. serving) and one night just the beef - seasoned with taco seasoning.

My one "guilty pleasure" protein has been Gerbers Baby Meat Sticks - Cal. 110, Fat 7, Carb 1, Protein 10

Drinking TONS of tea - sweetened with sweet -n-low and a tiny bit of lemon juice

Diet soda - 1 a day or less

Diet Snapple - had once

Coffee (ff half & half and sweet -n- low) - 1 each morning

The 2 whole days I did "weight loss menu" I added a salad at lunch OR dinner, not both, a veggie (carrots or celery) at the other meal, and a fruit at breakfast (1/2 c. Strawberries, 1/2 c. Pineapple, 2 slices of an apple)

I am measuring EVERYTHING - and making sure to space my protein servings out by at least an hour - longer if I can hack it!

SO....If you are still reading - this was one protein day for me last week -

8:45 - Breakfast - 1 HB egg, Coffee (my old way - 6carbs)
11:20 - Protein Snack - 2 oz. Roast Beef
12:30 - Babybel - 1 oz.
1:00 - Lunch - Chicken Deli meat - 1.5 oz., Diet A & W
3:45 - Protein Snack - FF Plain Yogurt - 4 oz.
5:00 - Protein Snack - 1/2 Protein Bar
6:30 - Protein Snack - Baby Meat Sticks - 2.5 ozs.
7:30 - Dinner - Chicken Breast - 4 ozs.
9:00 - Cottage Cheese, lowfat, - 4 oz.

Lots of Iced tea - but only reached about 40 - 50 ozs. total for the day - I have done better the last few days (had the whole 80) - but am now up peeing literally every hour all night long! :( So I've got to find a happy medium there!

Anyway - sorry for the novel - but any help (or suggestions) anyone might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Shahar

JQuintero 06-08-2013 12:00 PM

Not an expert- just someone who is about to start her 7th or 8th round of program.....

Don't put so much thought into being in "ketosis". I think by following program you will get into ketosis. Of course if you eat off plan then you will kick yourself out. Honestly (just wrote this on the other post) I've gone a whole 10 week program with little to no color showing and still losing. I have heard of some (not doing LFL but other low carbers) who actually prefer to test if they are in ketosis by checking blood - guess there is a monitor that does that.

Don't focus on the daily fluctuations. Weigh in the same time and in the same manner every day. Get your base weight for the week on Sunday/Monday and get that ending weight on Friday/Saturday. Look to see if you have an overall loss for the week - don't focus on daily. Now if you go 3 days where the weight stays the same or you keep gaining then yes, pull out the plateau menu and follow that.

It looks like you have a friend and a sister who have both gone through program - ask them for guidance. I'm sure they have a wealth of knowledge. I also suggest checking out any webinars (Lindora usually does 1 a month) you can attend. There is always a Q&A session at the end of the presentation.

Good Luck!

Shahar 06-08-2013 12:47 PM

Thank you SOOO much Joann! I guess in theory, I "knew" all of that. I was just expecting "more" from LFL given what I had heard from my sister and friend (as compared to my results on WW)

Would you suggest switching back to the weight loss menu? I am still doing Protein Days - trying to get back into Ketosis.

Thanks again!

JQuintero 06-08-2013 09:27 PM

I'd start a regular menu day.

Oddly enough two weeks ago I was basically doing "protein" days for the majority of the week. I'm on vacation and feel lost without the structure from my work schedule. It just seems easier for me to do protein days - knowing I'd have to eat every 2 hours. My hubby doesn't get it and I'm not sure the ladies at the clinic did either, but it made me feel in control and was down 6lbs that week.

I'm starting a new program Monday. I've been a total sloth this past week and my eating habits went to the way side. Time to buckle down....lol

Shahar 06-08-2013 10:36 PM

Joann -

You are too funny! I had a BAD sloth day today - we had a summer faire picnic for hubby's work, and I was GREAT all day - then had frozen yogurt, 3 bites of a hot dog, and about 5 fries....Now I feel AWFUL! I mean in a guilty way!

Tomorrow won't be great either as we're going to be at Disneyland till after lunch, but I'm going to try my best to do mostly protein tomorrow, and then see where I am on Monday morning.

I am hoping that this will get easier! I know my sister often goes back to her protein day or days when she has had a "piggy"/slothy week!! So you are not alone!

Thanks again!

Bonkers 06-14-2013 02:47 PM

Just checking in! I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I am finishing my second week on my third program. I have lost a total of 76 pounds. My road is still long but I will get to the end! I follow the program and get in my exercise. In regards to exercise, I followed the advice of making an appointment for myself.

I am hoping someone can let me know if this is also happening to them: I follow the program and go to the clinic everyday for my weigh in's. Sometimes I get frustrated with the weigh in's when the scale stays the same or goes up and I followed the program. Than the next day, there is a drop. UG.

Thank you for any input.