Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
That is awesome Lindy! I'm excited your going to start keifer. I make keifer almost everyday and use it in smoothies! So if you need any keifer help, just ask. Sounds like your doing great.

I have a quick weight loss question. How come the scale, if you weigh everyday can have a huge differential? I mean one day your this and the next day your down 5 lbs. then your up 3 of the five? I can't figure out why andhow that is even possible? It is very frustrating!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
.I have a quick weight loss question. How come the scale, if you weigh everyday can have a huge differential? I mean one day your this and the next day your down 5 lbs. then your up 3 of the five? I can't figure out why andhow that is even possible? It is very frustrating!
Ntombi posts this on a regular basis: Article: Why the Scale Lies

Day to day fluctuations are most likely to be water, electrolytes, inflammation, gut contents etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Yes, Mama, the scale lies. Keep drinking that kefir! I wish that I had time to make it and plan on making both kefir and saurkraut soon. I found that I love guava Kombucha. I have been drinking citrus and hibiscus kombucha for quite some time and decided to switch it up and I am in love.

Slowsure, I have been trying to finish off my ranier cherries before I begin the Ketogenic plan, so far I have been taking at least 1 tbsp every single morning of the MCT and don't have any issues. I wish that I didn't love fruit so much, because I will really miss it. I think I will stay with 2 tbsp of potato starch 3 x per week and no more. My main reason, is that I worry I am not eating enough cals because of the extreme satiety. I can easily live on 800-1000 cals and that is not good for my metabolism.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 06-14-2013 at 05:34 AM..
Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This post is for Blonde.

I am posting here because I believe that since it is advice from Paul Jaminet that he could help someone else.

Her husband is having terrible neuropathy in his feet. He is pre-diabetic and the numbness and pain are very difficult since he stands much of the day for his job.

This is Paul's answer to a girl who wrote in experiencing trouble with neuropathy in her feet. She has been diagnosed diabetic, peripheral neuropathy, PCOD,hypothyroid, fibromyalgia, and leaky gut.

Quote:
Hi Yvonne, you've gotten a lot of great answers. Let me add a few thoughts. First, you have a somewhat complicated case and it means you have to bootstrap your way forward. Make progress in any of the ways you can, and then go back to the things that give you trouble, like adding carbs, and try to do a bit more. It will take time to heal, but you should be able to generate steady progress. Second, when I hear cases like yours I am 99% certain there is a small intestinal infection that may have spread to the pancreas. Many pancreatic infections are now known to cause diabetes -- even flu viruses in the pancreas do it. Any time you have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, there is a heightened chance of the bacteria spreading to the pancreas. Similarly, if you have low stomach acid, then it's easier for germs to pass through the stomach and infect the small intestine and pancreas. So, some key steps for you: (1) Be well nourished in all ways, but especially focus on sunshine/vitamin D and liver/vitamin A because these are crucial for mucosal / gut immunity; (2) Eat bone and joint stock soups to support your gut barrier; (3) take some vitamin C and extra zinc, for immunity -- note that if you are eating a lot of chocolate you may have a copper overdose and zinc/copper imbalance, chocolate is a good source of copper, not so good as a source of carbs; (4) try to find carb sources that give you the fewest negative symptoms -- it sounds like white rice may be a good choice -- and try to minimize the blood sugar elevation that follows by eating them slowly, thoroughly masticating them and mixing them with saliva in your mouth, following all the tips in my post "How to Minimize Hyperglycemic Toxicity"; you need these carbs for healing and immunity and to reduce stress on the thyroid and adrenals; (5) do intermittent fasting if you can and restrict calories a bit -- eat only until 80% fall; (6) Support liver function and immunity by taking NAC and choline -- eat plenty of eggs; (7) walk outdoors every day; listen to your body and don't stress it with exercise but try to get as much exercise as you can daily that is not too stressful. If walking is hard due to the neuropathy, try floor exercises outdoors, eg pushups, rolling on the floor, getting up and getting back down onto the floor, moving your legs in the air while you are on your back, whatever you can do that is active. Do yoga if you can. (8) follow the circadian rhythm tips in our book. (9) Try to improve stomach acid -- be sure to eat enough salt and bitter herbs can also help. (9) Make fermented vegetables / kimchi and eat them to try to improve your gut flora. (10) Consider asking your doctor for antibiotics. Doxycycline is fairly benign and it might help with the small intestinal recovery. (11) Get tested for iron levels and make sure you don't have too much (promotes infection) or too little (inhibits immune and thyroid function). ... There are many other things that might help, I would suggest reading our book if you haven't already, but these will get you started.
I noticed that he recommends improving gut flora and supplementing w/ NAC, A and D3. He should be able to get NAC through eating animal protein. Meats such as pork, chicken, sausage, turkey and duck all contain the amino acid cysteine. Fish and lunch meats also contain cysteine. Dairy sources of cysteine include ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and eggs.

Blonde, I suspect that the process of healing something like this is going to be a slow process, but after reading testimony, after testimony, I can't help but believe PHD can do much in bringing him back to less pain and more mobility.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Oh my gosh, Sunday thank you sooo much! He definitely does NOT want to take Gabapentin, it's a powerful drug and only will mask his symptoms. I'll do all I can to get him on board and off the wheat asap, onto the bone broth etc. He eats what I make so ultimately it's up to me to put him on the right path. I think both our guts could use some TLC. Still waiting for my library copy of PHD. Thanks ago, you are the best!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are welcome!
Guess what??? Many PHDers make bb the fast and easy way.
Buy a good grass fed gelatin. Bernard Jensens or Great Lakes come to mind, you can mix it in any drink. Some are mixing in smoothies, pudding, and even their fav soup broth. Or mix some of your fav fruit and make jello! I will post a recipe next!

It is the gelatin that heals the gut so well. I am obsessed with my own gut at present. I am sorry if I act so excited, but between Ray Peat, Jaminet, and Kresser I simply can't quit thinking about it. In fact, I have seen so many changes in my own health simply by making small changes that balance the flora. Losing the grains, vegetable seed oils, and sugar.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH, and your skin will love you for all of the extra collagen it receives.

It is good for the tummy, but is wonderful and much needed for our skin.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
There are several different gelatins listed for Great Lakes. Which one do you recommend. Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The GOOD gelatin does for our health!

Quote:
Gelatin is pro-thryoid and helps to restore/support optimum metabolism by balancing certain amino acids that can inhibit thyroid function (cysteine, tryptophan, methionine, histidine) (be sure to balance muscle meat intake with gelatinous cuts, broths made from bones, and/or supplemental gelatin).

Gelatin (proline) can aid in wound healing, suppress tumour growth (by inhibiting the new formation of blood vessels) and reduce systemic inflammation (it’s helpful in any condition of inflammation – diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, endometriosis… the list goes on).

Gelatin (proline) supports the biosynthesis of collagen – the stuff women (and men) pay big bucks to have injected into their faces to reduce the signs of ageing (I say just eat the stuff!).

Gelatin can aid in the digestion of milk and milk products, according to NR Gotthoffer Gelatin in Nutrition and Medicine.

Gelatin has a sparing effect on proteins and protects the body against the catabolism of muscle tissue during fasting (the breaking down of body tissue for energy - not that you want to attempt fasting).

Gelatin promotes gastric secretion, helping to support optimal digestion and assimilation of other nutrients.

Gelatin is soothing and healing to the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract and is particularly useful in Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Crohn’s and other disorders of the GIT.

Gelatin (glycine) is immunomodulatory and helps to protect the body against infection and autoimmune conditions.

Gelatin can increase blood levels of calcium, down-regulating bone catabolism and helping to protect against brittle bones.

Gelatin (glycine) is used in the synthesis of the endogenous “master” antioxidant glutathione, as well as in the synthesis of DNA and RNA, haemoglobin and bile salts.

Gelatin promotes the phase II liver detoxification pathway (via the synthesis of glutathione) and supports overall liver health.

Gelatin (glycine) opposes oestrogen and favours progesterone sparing (a good thing, especially for those with conditions of excess oestrogen)

Gelatin directly opposes stress hormones adrenaline, cortisol and serotonin (all of which inhibit optimal thyroid function/metabolism, increase tissue breakdown, inflammation and accelerate ageing).

Gelatin (glycine) has an inhibitory effect on neurotransmitters, helping to promote relaxation and deep sleep.

Gelatin facilitates the blood-sugar lowering action of insulin, and has a history of use in the treatment of diabetes and insulin resistance.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So inexpensive and yet so easy!

From Nutrition by Nature~

Quote:
Coconut water jellies
Makes around 25.

˝ cup (8 tbs) quality gelatin powder
1 cup boiling water
1 cup coconut water
3 tbs untreated honey

In a shallow glass or ceramic dish (about 20cm x 15cm or thereabouts), dissolve the gelatin powder in the boiling water, stirring well to combine. Add the coconut water and honey, stirring to disperse, then place the dish in the refrigerator and allow to set completely (this should only take around 1-2 hours).
Cut into squares to serve.
One of the PHD friends uses her fav fruit and then a small bit of the jelly mixed into the water. I believe she said that she made kiwi/strawberry.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
There are several different gelatins listed for Great Lakes. Which one do you recommend. Thanks
In the green box. It is the Kosher Collagen-Hydrolysate and it is flavorless. I have used both and the Red Box grassfed has a flavor, and strong beef smell, but it is yummy. I know that it is much less at my Natural Grocer, so shop around. I have seen it at Wal-Mart as a matter of fact.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And NOW brand has one that is not grassfed but is definitely beef gelatin if you are looking to save money. If anyone has tried this, please let me know! I will write NOW and see where they get it.

NOW Beef Gelatin Powder
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

What section of Wal M?

There is a large one near to the area we go to in CA. I'll check the health food stores here, but will probably have to order it.

Thanks again for all of your info
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found mine with the broth and boullion. Easy to mix this in a cup of hot soup and you will think that you are tasting the homemade goodness grandmother made.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Wow, it sounds like you ladies have had an exciting day. Good for you. I've been out of pocket for the past two days. Mainly on the internet researching kombucha. Love the thought of it. I was going to do kefir first because it was easier but have decided the "buch" is better. I ordered the continual brewing set through getkomb$$a and though it was pricey I feel that it will be easier on me to get it at the start.
Of course, my DD thinks I have gone crazy. (alway's ordering things on the internet) But, you know, you only live once. I don't party, drink or smoke anymore, so.....A girls got to have her hobbies.
And interestingly enough, after I placed my order, I got an email from someone I had contacted to get a starter. Oh well, I will still go see her and get a scoby and she also will have both milk and water kefir starters. Yea!!! So my day has been exciting also. I feel like an expert on kombucha and haven't even got my stuff yet.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting! I have always suspected, but here is proof. All of the college boys that I work with refuse to drink whole milk. They want skim. Yet they workout all of the time, run, and eat zero fat. Our grandparent's knew what they were talking about.

From - Healthy Home Economist
New Study: Lowfat & Skim Milk Drinking Kids are Fattest

Quote:
A new study published online March 18, 2013 in the Archives of Disease in Childhood, a sister publication of the British Medical Journal, reports that lowfat milk is associated with higher weight in preschoolers.

You read that right.

Kids drinking lowfat milk tend to be heavier than those drinking whole milk. Skim milk drinking kids were found to be the fattest of all.

The findings call into serious question the long held recommendation of pediatricians that parents switch children to lowfat milk at age 2 in order to reduce the risk of weight problems.

It seems this misguided pediatric advice is producing the exact opposite of what was intended.

This large study of 10,700 preschoolers involved interviewing the parents when the children were 2 years old and again at 4 years old. The researchers took direct measurements of each child’s height and weight in order to accurately calculate BMI (body mass index) at both ages.

Researchers found that the children who drank skim (1%) milk were the fattest of all regardless of of race, ethnicity or socioeconomic status.

The 2% milk drinking children had the next highest BMI (body mass index) followed by the whole milk drinking children who were the leanest of all.

Dr Mark DeBoer said in an email to NPR that he and his co-author Dr. Rebecca Scharf, both of the University of Virginia, were “quite surpised” by the findings as they had hypothesized just the opposite.

Dr. DeBoer added that the data also indicates that use of lowfat milk did not restrain weight gain in preschoolers over time. He speculated that if you feel fuller after drinking full fat milk, “it may be protective if the other food options are high in calories.”

In other words, drinking a glass of whole milk for dinner instead of lowfat or skim milk may prevent a child from eating an extra cookie or two later.
Two Other Studies Indicate Lowfat and Skim Milk Make Kids Fatter

This is not the first study indicating that lowfat and skim milk lead to heavier children.

In 2005, a study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine concluded that skim and 1% milk were associated with weight gain in children aged 9-14, but dairy fat was not.

A more recent study in 2010 published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association found that switching from whole milk to reduced-fat milk at age 2 years did not appear to prevent overweight in early childhood.

Take home lesson for parents? Give your kids whole milk like Grandma and Grandpa did. Taking the fat out of milk doesn’t help one iota in reducing a child’s chances of overweight and obesity. On the other hand, giving a child whole milk appears to be protective of a healthy weight in childhood!
Longitudinal evaluation of milk type consumed and weight status in preschoolers -- Scharf et al. -- Archives of Disease in Childhood

Last edited by sunday; 06-15-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
That is awesome Lindy! I'm excited your going to start keifer. I make keifer almost everyday and use it in smoothies! So if you need any keifer help, just ask. Sounds like your doing great.

I have a quick weight loss question. How come the scale, if you weigh everyday can have a huge differential? I mean one day your this and the next day your down 5 lbs. then your up 3 of the five? I can't figure out why andhow that is even possible? It is very frustrating!
Sorry I missed this. Yes, I found a local lady that is supposed to give me samples of both the kefirs. Hope it comes through.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just checking in to see if people are OK. I've been on my feet for a while today, preparing the food for next week. It was good to be up again but my thigh is still hurting so I'll give it a rest again.

Sticking with my potato starch supplementation. I think I'll have to start pushing up my MCT oil consumption as I'm still finding it a little difficult to manage 3Tbsp on my UDs.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
I feel that I'm right on the precipice of changing my life. I've been on a journey for the past 4 months, starting with LC on through PHD. I've made so many changes and some of them didn't work out. Frankenfoods mainly. Bought a lot of different kinds and wasn't what I was looking for. The journey continued when I found the potato hack thread. Found Sunday and the rest of you ladies. I'm so impressed with your willingness to try new things instead of being hidebound with LC or Low cal. I didn't think I'd be able to eat potatoes or rice and lose. But I have. It's slow but working.

Yes, I do want to lose weight. Mainly for my health, but primarily I want good health. Period. I feel I'll find it with my PHD eating. Fermented veggies, kefir and kombucha. I try to tell my DD about this, but all she can see is I've bought so much junk food and not used it. Tough.

Lindy, I can't help it, this is so exciting to me! That is just inspiring!!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Today I mixed coconut kefir, greek goddess full fat yogurt, blue berries, cherries, and a bit of manuka honey. It tasted like the richest dessert you can imagine. Yummm!
OH my goodness, that sounds divine!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Hey everybody, hope your day was good and eventful. My was fine. Lost down to 227.2. Down 1.2 today. It's been sitting still for a few days so if it only happens once a week or so I will not complain.

Still looking at the different sites on kefir and kombucha. I'm also interested in sprouting different seeds and grains for salads. Lots of nutrients. Wow, we are getting so healthy.

Sunday and Blonde, I just love y'all. So supporting!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lindy, Blonde, Slowsure & Mama,

I am really under the weather. I haven't eaten since Friday and went to the doctor yesterday, and I have bronchitis/asthma so serious that they may hospitalize me when I go back on Wed if this hasn't improved. She sent me home with a breathing treatment machine and super strong anti-biotics.

Sorry to be out of the loop, I will be back when I can.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Sunday, I'm so sorry to read this. I hope that you improve on the antibiotics and (presumably) nebuliser.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I am really under the weather. I haven't eaten since Friday and went to the doctor yesterday, and I have bronchitis/asthma so serious that they may hospitalize me when I go back on Wed if this hasn't improved. She sent me home with a breathing treatment machine and super strong anti-biotics.

Oh Sunday, all this stress is getting to you. I'm so sorry. Use the nebulizer as often as you can, it makes a difference. Do you have a corticosteroid like Flovent to help heal the inflammation in your lungs? I use it when I'm sick and then taper off when I'm better. I hope you don't need to be hospitalized, that is no place for sick people. Hugs and love to you!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Oh Sunday, hope you get to feeling better. We love you.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/229/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this! I hope this isn't related to your DH's illness. You did tell them he's sick?

Feel better soon!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

So sorry to hear you are ill. Sending prayers for a quick and full recovery.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Ger well, Sunday!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Oh no Sunday...praying for quick healing!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Wow, I am so sorry to hear this! I hope this isn't related to your DH's illness. You did tell them he's sick?

Feel better soon!
Thank you to all for your thoughts and kind words!

Well, I went back today to see doc and yes, I do have pneumonia.
Thankfully, we caught it in the nick of time. I am already feeling much better. I still have no appetite and haven't eaten solids since Fri. Lindy, you will be happy to know I am drinking lots of Kombucha and bubbies' kraut juice. Lots of water. More water than I can ever remember.

Evidently, she suspected this, but did not want to scare me because my x-rays showed that I have a collasped lung on the left side as well. Thus, her reason for wanting to hospitalize me if I wasn't improving w/ the anti-biotics.

I asked Paul what he recommended because my Dr. would like to give me a pneumonia vaccination next week when I come in and she has chance to look at new x-ray of my lungs. He said that he hasn't had time to research pneumonia/flu vaccines yet, so couldn't say one way or another. But he said, to up my D3, A and Vit K. Which I had already been doing from my PHD knowledge. One silver lining, is that I have lost 8 lbs in 4 days. I think I will have a rebound, but I welcome the PHD solid foods.

Last edited by sunday; 06-19-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Closed Thread