Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hi Pam,
Perfect Health is low carb with addition of safe starches such as potatoes, sweet tater, carrots, rice & taro. The main focus is to optimize nutrition, detoxify the diet, and support healthy immune function. Certainly, we are eating very low carb, low protein & high fat but the focus is in trying to keep as paleo as possible w/ healthy Pacific influence.

I fell instantly in love with the plan, because it is a nuturing diet - rather than just about mere weight loss - which is so refreshing. Slow weight normalisation is a side effect of following this plan for sure, but it is not the primary focus. I can't say that this is for everyone because we all have to follow what we know in our heart to be the best. In just 5 months, I have learned so much as I never truly listened to my body, but instead searched high and low for the magic that would make me trim and never considered if the path could lead to health.

I hope you will feel free to ask questions and if I don't know the answer, I will try and find what the Jaminets believe to be true. Neither Paul or Shou-Ching are really doctors, Paul is a physicist and Shou-Ching is a Cancer biologist researcher at Harvard. However, both have spent the last seven years researching answers to health and diet in order to heal Paul's distressing gut issues and Shou-Ching's thyroid and hormonal problems.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh the J is for Johnson's. And you can add as much ACV as you would like to each meal. I drink it 1st thing in the morning in my morning water and then sometimes add some to my evening meal. It is really up to you, how much and when. JUDDD and PHD can be done simultaneously because they are not exclusive plans. JUDDD allows any type of foods, whilst PHD is promoting enhanced nutrition plus fasting as you are comfortable in applying.

Last edited by sunday; 06-03-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, Lindy, SeaBreezes & all!

I am trying to catch up with all of the poor folks who have been needing answers. I simply have been out of the loop lately. I am falling in love with reading over at the Facebook page and can't wait until the PHD site has it's own forum. I almost forget to come back here and check because I am spending so much time learning over there. We are now up to 770 PHDers from all over the world.

KeyTones ~

On Nutritional Yeast... Paul says "well it's not recommended, but it's not forbidden either. It does have B vitamins but there are other ways to get them. In general microbial/yeast/fungal cell wall components are inflammatory so I'm not sure why this would be a good way to get nutrients."

So it seems that as long as you are not having any issues with fungus or yeast, it is something that you will need to weigh in your grand scheme of health. I have never tried it. You have me curious!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalifPam
Thank you, Sunday...very helpful. I appreciate your patience with me.

My understanding with the ACV or any acid, is that it should be added with every meal that has high fat. Why is that?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ACV aids in digestion and normalizes your body's PH. It helps control candida and this is why it seems to be so important on an every meal basis. I am not adding it to every meal, but I also eat a lot of Bubbie's fermented veggies or Kimchi. Also, ACV is very good for your skin and can help to clear up issues with your face. I have used it to rid myself of a horrible fungus in my nail bed that I think I picked up from the manicurist. And most importantly, if you will keep a glass of ACV and water by your bed, it is the perfect remedy for night leg cramps that can be so painful during the middle of the night.

Here is an excellent thread about all of the health benefits from ACV...

Apple Cider Vinegar weight loss wonder

Last edited by sunday; 06-03-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifPam View Post
What is the J in JUDDD mean?
Johnson, the chap who wrote the book on the up day, down day way of eating.

There's a JUDDD board: JUDDD - Low Carb Friends
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am trying to catch up with all of the poor folks who have been needing answers. I simply have been out of the loop lately. I am falling in love with reading over at the Facebook page and can't wait until the PHD site has it's own forum.
I do feel bad quizzing you about this stuff.

It would be easier to track the Jaminets' recommendations if PJ would remember to correct a post when he's been alerted to a mistake in the comments or something that is ambiguously expressed. Eg, there isn't a mass of information about the different flavours of 'ketogenic' PHD in the book so I consulted the blog posts. I was a little confused when he recommended 200kcals of starches which he said was 70g white rice, 150g baked sweet potato etc. Of course, he meant dry rice rather than cooked, but you had to delve deep into the comments to see that. And he neglected to explicitly mention that the 200kcals of starches, plus 4-6tbsp of MCT oil, should accompany 400kcals of protein foods.

It would be easier to work out the Jaminet calculation for 'safe' starches if they were clearer about the sweet potato/yam distinction and if he didn't complicate matters by trying to tell people to calculate the glucose quotient that is derived from them. I think that's why people have ended up in desperate need of a PHD pathfinder to guide them.

I also had to work out for myself that MCT is metabolised within 3hrs so if I'm looking to derive any therapeutic benefit from it for the migraines, then I should think of taking it on a regular schedule during the day.

Thank you for all the help that you've so generously given, Sunday.

Last edited by SlowSure; 06-04-2013 at 01:44 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Vegetarian Moderate Carb~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Keytones: I love Nutritional Yeast Flakes (NYF)! I first had it when I was vegan years and years ago. I bought it in bulk at Henry's and put it on everything. Popcorn, veggies, rice, potatoes etc. There is a recipe book about 'uncheese' that has recipes for making 'cheese' out of this stuff. So good.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure,

I checked out the "About Us" page on their site and they have added someone who probably can get the right answers for you quickly. Not sure how long he has been helping? But I think it was an excellent move.

Quote:
We are fortunate to be aided by a friend and esteemed colleague:

Kamal Patel is a PhD candidate in nutrition, researching the link between diet and chronic pain. He has published peer-reviewed articles on vitamin D and calcium as well as a variety of clinical research topics. He’s also been involved in research on fructose and liver health, mindfulness meditation, and nutrition in low income areas. Kamal has an MPH and MBA from Johns Hopkins University, and enjoys oldies music and funny animal pictures. Especially cat pictures. He can be reached at (email address removed) .

Quote:
Paul Jaminet, Ph.D. Paul was an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, became a software entrepreneur during the Internet boom, and now provides strategic advice to entrepreneurial companies while pursuing research in economics (see pauljaminet.com for more information). Paul’s experience overcoming a chronic illness has been key to our views of aging and disease. Paul can be reached by email to (email address removed) .
Shou-Chings

Quote:
Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet, Ph.D. Shou-Ching is a molecular biologist and cancer researcher at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, and Director of BIDMC’s Multi-Gene Transcriptional Profiling Core. Shou-Ching was born in Korea to Chinese parents, grew up in Korea, attended college at National Taiwan University in Taipei, and graduate school at University of Newcastle in Australia, before coming to the US to work at Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Children’s Hospital Boston, and Beth Israel Deaconess and Harvard Medical School. Her publications may be found by searching Pubmed for “Shih SC” (through Sep 2011) and “Jaminet SC” (since Sep 2011).
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure, Are you asking if yam can be subbed for sweet potato? I am going to ask.

PHD Pizza Found this on the PHD FB group and decided I will be making this on Friday and will let all know how it turns out. I have really been missing my pizza.

You’ll Need: (makes two pizzas)
for the crust -
1 1/2 cups tapioca starch or flour (it’s the same thing)
1/4 cup each heavy cream and water (or 1/2 cup milk instead of cream & water)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 tsp dried oregano
pinch of white pepper
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (or any hard cheese), grated

for the toppings -
1/2 cup pizza sauce
3/4 cup mozzarella or other soft cheese
toppings

In a saucepan, combine the cream, water, butter, and salt and bring to a simmer on med/low heat. You want to get it to the point that it’s starting to bubble, but not boiling. In a large bowl, add the tapioca starch. When the cream/water mixture is heated, add it to the starch and stir it all together. It will start to clump together, which is fine. Let the mixture cool for five minutes. As it cools, preheat your oven to 500 degrees.

Add the beaten egg to the mixture, and knead together with your hands. Add the cheese, white pepper, and oregano, and mix together until it’s dough-like. This is enough dough for two pizzas.

Split the dough in half, then stretch it out into the thinnest frisbee possible. It will likely tear if you stretch it too far, so just pull it as far as you can. Put the dough in a cast iron skillet, spreading to the edges of the skillet with your fingers. Try to get it as thin as possible – this is important so as to not make your crust too chewy. With a fork, poke some holes through the dough to let air pass through.

Bake in the middle of your oven for six minutes, then take it out and put it on your stove (keep the oven on!). The dough may bubble up a little while cooking, which is fine – it’ll go back down once you take it out of the oven. It’s hard to tell in this picture, but the dough will have taken on a more bread-like consistency at this point. This step is important because it gives the dough time to cook through without burning the toppings.

Add the 1/4 cup of sauce. Might I suggest a blended version of my homemade Superior Spaghetti Sauce?

Add the toppings, whatever you’d like. You can go with a standard topping fare like in the picture above, or try something more unique like a cheese-less pizza (often referred to as Pizza Marinara) or another favorite – Pizza Bianca, which is basically just dough, olive oil, salt, and rosemary, a popular style of pizza in Rome.

Throw it back in the oven and cook for another 8-10 minutes, until the cheese starts to brown. For extra crispy toppings, broil it for the last minute or two of cooking.

That’s it! Bear in mind that while this is the best gluten-free pizza crust I’ve ever tasted, the inside of the dough will still be slightly chewy – mostly due to the nature of tapioca starch. I assure you, it’s not undercooked!

This pizza also cooks well on a pizza stone, or just a plain baking sheet if you’re desperate for some delicious pizza. Enjoy!

Last edited by sunday; 06-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: oops, left off part of the recipe.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

*drooling*

I could do this I think.....
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, I am too! You absolutely must go to his website and see the pic and read the reader's replies. He has quite a PHD fandom.

He is Domestic Man.
Lot's of good ideas for PHD recipes and especially grain free.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Lindy. I agree we have grown to know each other and that is what I enjoy and look forward to, much more personal! And fun! I love all of the LCFs & PHD pals.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure,

There is a link on the FB page that directs you to an article Paul wrote entitled, "What's the Trouble With Sweet Potatoes?" In this article he speaks of the differences and the nutritional values of both. The problem with American sweet potatoes is that they are bred to be quite sweet. Chris Masterjohn writes,

Quote:
Although sweet potatoes are considered a safe starch on the Perfect Health Diet, they are not very safe for me. When I discovered how yummy sweet potato fries are, I started eating several sweet potatoes per day. Within a few days, I was limping and my neck was stiff. By the end of the week, my limp was extreme. I looked online to see if I was eating anything high in oxalates, and sure enough, sweet potatoes are loaded with them. My symptoms dramatically improved after one day off sweet potatoes and were gone the second day.
Clearly sweet potatoes are not safe for everyone. What might be causing the trouble?

Quote:
Fructose and Fiber as Possible Confounders

One factor to consider is that there are different varieties of sweet potato. We eat an Asian sweet potato variety which is not nearly as sweet as conventional American sweet potatoes; it has a yellow flesh and a chestnut flavor. It is botanically a yam, not a sweet potato.
Quote:
Like so many modern foods, the standard American sweet potato has been bred for sweetness. Here is data from NutritionData comparing 100 g of potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, and grapes for sugar, starch, and fiber content:
Food Sugar (g) Starch (g) Fiber (g)
Potato --------- 1.2 ------------ 17.3---------- 2.2
Yam------------ 0.5--------------23.1--------- 3.9
Sweet potato--- 6.5-------------- 7.5----------3.3
Grapes---------15.5-------------- 0.0----------0.9

All have similar calories. Yams are largely sugar-free, but sweet potatoes are intermediate between grapes and potatoes in both sugar and starch content. They are sort of half fruit, half starch.

Thus, it is conceivable that sweet potatoes could trigger an issue like fructose malabsorption; or that fructose or fiber might feed certain gut infections that would not be similarly fed by potatoes.

Oxalate

Chris believed his problem was due to oxalate. Sweet potatoes do contain oxalate, although they are not the only plant foods which do.

In fact, by far the largest source of oxalate in the American diet is spinach. Spinach by itself accounts for over 40% of all oxalate consumed by Americans; potatoes for about 10%. [1] Wheat bran has high levels of oxalate.

Why are oxalates troublesome? Some people have sensitivities to oxalate. Rarely, genetic defects in the enzymes that degrade oxalate cause a disease called primary hyperoxaluria; this disease afflicts 1 to 3 people in a million. Other conditions can elevate calcium or oxalate in the urine and increase the risk of calcium oxalate kidney stones. This is especially likely in people who are deficient in magnesium or who don’t eat citrate. [2]

Another pathway by which oxalate might cause trouble is via fungal infections. Candida and other fungi form calcium oxalate crystals in tissue [3,4]; fungi appear to be responsible for the yellow-brown calcium oxalate biofilms which form on stone monuments. [5]

But the literature suggests that oxalate sensitivities are rare. If oxalate sensitivity is present, then it should manifest itself when eating spinach, wheat bran, and other oxalate rich foods. Since Chris has praised spinach and wheat recently, I wonder if it is really the oxalate that caused his trouble.

Last edited by sunday; 06-04-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, it was more the ipomoea/diascorea sweet potato confusion. Yams are a very different thing in the UK, they're more the brown, hairy-skinned, white flesh diascorea that is used in West African cuisine. It seems like a picky distinction until you have to start calculating their relative sugar/starch/fibre contents (very different).

Agreed that it's remarkable for PJ to engage to engage as much with his commenters and others as he does. They're outstanding for that. Selfishly, it's more that my last concussion (which 'gifted' these migraines to me) also means that I find it difficult to concentrate at times, particularly when tired or reading, so having to read a couple of hundred comments to find out the extra snippets (which would be so useful if the original post were corrected to incorporate them) is quite tricky. Now, absolutely, that's my problem, not the Jaminets - I wouldn't be surprised if other people need the same information, however.

That pizza recipe looks a delight.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
[/B]

No, I really need us to keep going here. If only to touch base with each other. I do like the other PHD on facebook but they aren't you guys and I need you to personally talk to me. They are going to be too big to be personal. Love you ladies.
Quote:
Thanks Lindy. I agree we have grown to know each other and that is what I enjoy and look forward to, much more personal! And fun! I love all of the LCFs & PHD pals.

Double Ditto!!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Double Ditto!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Sunday, it was more the ipomoea/diascorea sweet potato confusion. Yams are a very different thing in the UK, they're more the brown, hairy-skinned, white flesh diascorea that is used in West African cuisine. It seems like a picky distinction until you have to start calculating their relative sugar/starch/fibre contents (very different).

Agreed that it's remarkable for PJ to engage to engage as much with his commenters and others as he does. They're outstanding for that. Selfishly, it's more that my last concussion (which 'gifted' these migraines to me) also means that I find it difficult to concentrate at times, particularly when tired or reading, so having to read a couple of hundred comments to find out the extra snippets (which would be so useful if the original post were corrected to incorporate them) is quite tricky. Now, absolutely, that's my problem, not the Jaminets - I wouldn't be surprised if other people need the same information, however.

That pizza recipe looks a delight.
Slowsure, I totally agree because I find his site very hard to navigate. I like the FB site better, although, I think I have asked the same questions that others have a few times, but that happens everywhere. He does understand how vital a good forum is, and believe that he has tried to implement one for some time, but keeps running into snags and possibly having technical issues. Not sure.

What happened to give you a concussion? I can't imagine the suffering you have been through. I understand if you don't want to share, just curious. I am sure you must use coconut oil for supplementing. I am very interested in knowing more about the Ketogenic PHD as well, so I will be back with what I learn.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Eating well today with my chicken livers, 1/2 c. fermented radishes, eggs and bacon, tomato and 70% dark chocolate. I need boil a sweet potato later w/butter. 1350 calories 60% f, 22% c, 18% p. I do not feel deprived at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Are sweet potatoes and yams the same, as far as PHD is concerned?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Just trying a little experiment....been potato hacking this week and I plan on doing just a 3 day hack...I went into the hack after losing 4.4 lbs. 2.2. lbs heavier. It will be interesting to see if there is another 4 lb. reduction or if it is alot of water or what? Interesting that I have literally craved potatoes since going off them last week. Literally dreaming about potatoes isn't that crazy. I can't wait to eat them tomorrow morning. Even my children gobble them up with spices and malt vinegar on them. I wonder what nutriient I am deficient in that would cause me to crave them? On the other days I did lots of protein shakes with fruit and tons of kale in it. Trying to shake things up a bit. I got an injury lifting weighs (I know what your thinking, umm they were only 10 lb. dumbells) bahhhaaaa. Anyways, haven't been doing much but taekwondo 3 times a week.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Yikes, I forgot to subscribe and this thread is 53 posts already!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Keytones: I love Nutritional Yeast Flakes (NYF)! I first had it when I was vegan years and years ago. I bought it in bulk at Henry's and put it on everything. Popcorn, veggies, rice, potatoes etc. There is a recipe book about 'uncheese' that has recipes for making 'cheese' out of this stuff. So good.
Oh, do you remember what book?

I have a friend with heart failure that can't use salt - this sounds like a good idea
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blonde, Lindy, SeaBreezes & all!

I am trying to catch up with all of the poor folks who have been needing answers. I simply have been out of the loop lately. I am falling in love with reading over at the Facebook page and can't wait until the PHD site has it's own forum. I almost forget to come back here and check because I am spending so much time learning over there. We are now up to 770 PHDers from all over the world.

KeyTones ~

On Nutritional Yeast... Paul says "well it's not recommended, but it's not forbidden either. It does have B vitamins but there are other ways to get them. In general microbial/yeast/fungal cell wall components are inflammatory so I'm not sure why this would be a good way to get nutrients."

So it seems that as long as you are not having any issues with fungus or yeast, it is something that you will need to weigh in your grand scheme of health. I have never tried it. You have me curious!
Oh! Thank you so much!!! I'll use sparingly! I have terrible problems with inflammation.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Oh, do you remember what book?
I think it's Joanne Stepaniak's The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.

Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet also uses NY extensively for its vegan cheeses. Miyoko Schinner is good but it's a bit irritating that she released updated (improved) versions of some of the recipes (it's a fairly recent book) to a US magazine that I can't purchase in the UK. But, apparently, if you can purchase what's now known as the 'cheese issue' of VegNews magazine (issue Sept. /Oct. 2012) then it would give you a good insight into making good vegan cheese.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet also uses NY extensively for its vegan cheeses. Miyoko Schinner is good but it's a bit irritating that she released updated (improved) versions of some of the recipes (it's a fairly recent book) to a US magazine that I can't purchase in the UK. But, apparently, if you can purchase what's now known as the 'cheese issue' of VegNews magazine (issue Sept. /Oct. 2012) then it would give you a good insight into making good vegan cheese.
Thank you SlowSure!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Yes it is! Slowsure you beat me to it!

Keytones, glad you found us!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a long post that was wiped clean by the lightening shutting down my power. Will try to re-construct this afternoon.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Keep thinking about you and all of the horrific weather...

Computers are not fond of electrical surges!

Hugs
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Is there a thread for the Ketogenic PHD plan?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifPam View Post
Is there a thread for the Ketogenic PHD plan?
Not yet, but I am working on it.

Also, Pam, for the difference in sweets and yams, read my post #48.

Thanks SeaBreezes. We just had thunderstorms today, but you would think that the power surges would be over with for now. So frustrated at how many times our power has gone off.
Closed Thread