Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: intently
How low carb do I have to go?

Hello,

I'm planning to lower my carb intake, but I'm not that interested in doing Atkin's Induction or NK. Will I see benefits if I just generally reduce the bread, crackers and dessert that I eat? That is, can I cut out a lot of carbs and see a benefit, or is it not worth doing if I don't go all the way?

Thanks!
intently is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I seems you could, as many diets focus on this. You would want to count calories, I am guessing.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yes. If you don't want to cut them to below fifty grams per day, which is usually the threshold for ketosis, you can still benefit from cutting them down, and focusing on low GI carbs, or "slow carbs." If weight loss is your goal, you will have to watch total calories and fat as well, but it's definitely doable.

South Beach is one plan that keeps you out of ketosis, encourages moderate amounts of healthier carbs, moderate amounts of healthy fats, and many people have success with it.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-24-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Ok, so, that makes it sound like low carb doesn't matter unless you go low enough to enter ketosis, is that right? I mean, I can count calories *and* eat tons of carbs, in theory.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It does matter, because the simple carbs aren't good for you in general. Better to focus on eating adequate protein, good healthy fats, and nutrient-dense carbs, like dark greens and others. If you eat too many simple carbs, you could become insulin resistant, and eventually diabetic, along with other possible health issues. Regardless of weight, eating carbs that will raise your blood sugar and subsequently crash it is bad for your body.

Without ketosis, does it matter in terms of weight loss? Well, sort of. Simple carbs are empty calories and less satiating than protein and fat. If you're counting calories, that can make a difference sometimes. But it works really well for others. Some people do fabulously eating around 100g of carbs per day, well above ketosis level, but significantly under the standard American diet.

For weight loss, though, the best plan is the one you can stick with.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-24-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by intently View Post
I'm planning to lower my carb intake, but I'm not that interested in doing Atkin's Induction or NK. Will I see benefits if I just generally reduce the bread, crackers and dessert that I eat?
I did that, started January 1. I cut out most sugar, all processed foods, and used portion control for the rest (bread, crackers, etc.). I lost 5 lbs. per month for a total of 15 lbs. through the end of March. I wanted to lose a bit faster, though, so starting 4/1, went very low carb (grain free now for 55 days).

Good luck!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the info, it is very helpful.

I've been eating much lower than normal carbs for the past two days, and I feel weird this evening. I feel somewhat sluggish despite being very full. My body just feels odd, although it's hard to explain. Might just be muscle soreness from a bunch of shoveling I did yesterday, though
Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I've experienced that feeling when I don't get all my water in. I shoot for a minimum of 64 oz. but don't always make it. It's occurred often enough that I think I've nailed too little water as the culprit (at least for me -- no two of us are alike and it probably is the added muscle soreness that's weighing you down some).

Right now, it's allergies that are making me feel tired and draggy (Spring -- everything is blooming)! My non-LCer DH is feeling it, too, so it's not just me (we're trying to see who can sneeze the hardest lol).

Hope you feel better!
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!