Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Perfect Health Diet - May (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/803211-perfect-health-diet-may.html)

sunday 05-01-2013 08:57 AM

Perfect Health Diet - May

New thread for all of our PHD'ers to gather. :sing:

The PERFECT HEALTH Plan...

Dr. Jaminet's recommendations:

•About 3 pounds of plant foods per day, including: ◦About 1 pound of safe starches, such as white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and taro;
◦About 1 pound of sugary in-ground vegetables (such as beets or carrots), fruits, and berries;
◦Low-calorie vegetables to taste, including fermented vegetables and green leafy vegetables.

•One-half to one pound per day of meat or fish, which should include organ meats, and should be drawn primarily from: ◦ruminants (beef, lamb, goat);
◦birds (especially duck and wild or naturally raised birds);
◦Shellfish and freshwater and marine fish.

•Low omega-6 fats and oils from animal or tropical plant sources, to taste. Good sources include: ◦butter, sour cream, beef tallow, duck fat;
◦coconut milk or oil
◦palm oil, palm kernel oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut butter, almond butter, cashew butter

•Acids to taste, especially citric acid (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice), lactic acid from fermented or pickled vegetables, vinegars, tannic acids from wine, and tomatoes.
•Broths or stocks made from animal bones and joints.
•Snacks or desserts from our pleasure foods: fruits and berries, nuts, alcohol, chocolate, cream, and fructose-free sweeteners like dextrose or rice syrup.

By weight, the diet works out to about 3/4 plant foods, 1/4 animal foods. By calories, it works out to about 600 carb calories, primarily from starches; around 300 protein calories; and fats supply a majority (50-60%) of daily calories.

In the shadow of the apple are foods forbidden because of their high toxin content. Notably:
•Do not eat cereal grains — wheat, barley, oats, corn — or foods made from them — bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, oatmeal. The exception is white rice, which we count among our “safe starches.” Rice noodles, rice crackers, and the like are fine, as are gluten-free foods made from a mix of rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch.
•Do not eat calorie-rich legumes. Peas and green beans are fine. Soy and peanuts should be absolutely excluded. Beans might be acceptable with suitable preparation, but we recommend avoiding them.
•Do not eat foods with added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Do not drink anything that contains sugar: healthy drinks are water, tea, and coffee.
•Polyunsaturated fats should be a small fraction of the diet (~4% of total calories). To achieve this, do not eat seed oils such as soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, or the like.

We highly recommend certain foods for their micronutrients. These include liver, kidney, egg yolks, seaweeds, shellfish, fermented vegetables, and bone broths.
We also recommend augmenting the diet with certain supplements. These nutrients are deficient in modern diets due to removal of minerals from drinking water by treatment, depletion of minerals from soil by agriculture, or modern lifestyles that deprive us of vitamin D by indoor living.

We recommend tweaking the diet for certain diseases. Neurological disorders often benefit from a diet that is ketogenic; other conditions may benefit from lower carb diets. These variations are discussed in the book.

sunday 05-01-2013 08:59 AM

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-c...ate-600dpi.jpg

sunday 05-01-2013 09:01 AM

Supplemental Foods

We recommend eating these “supplemental foods” on a regular schedule:

3 egg yolks daily, 5 yolks daily for women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant (for choline, folate, vitamin A)
A bowl of bone and joint broth soup, 3 days per week (for calcium, phosphorus, and collagen)
Vegetables such as tomato, avocado, potato, sweet potato, banana, green leafy vegetables, and seaweeds such as dulse, daily (for potassium)
Dark chocolate (>70%), as desired
lb beef or lamb liver, weekly (copper, vitamin A, folate, choline)
fish, shellfish, eggs, and kidneys, weekly (for selenium)
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon red palm oil, weekly (vitamin E)

Daily Supplements

These are supplements we recommend be taken daily:

Sunshine and vitamin D3 as needed to achieve serum 25OHD of 40 ng/ml.
Vitamin K2 100 mcg or more
Magnesium 200 mg
Iodine at least 225 mcg, recommend 1 mg
Vitamin C 1 g
OPTIONAL: Lithium 2.5 mg – a 5 mg tablet cut into halves
OPTIONAL: Silicon 5 mg
ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT EAT BEEF OR LAMB LIVER: Copper 2 mg

sunday 05-01-2013 09:24 AM

I brought Bev's last post here http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post16402049 because it is REALLY good important info.

Thanks Bev! :hugs:

Lindy in Louisiana 05-01-2013 09:40 AM

Glad to be here. Yesterday I was out of pocket. Went to bed and slept 10 hrs so my totals were very incomplete. I feel that this is the month for me. I want to be so healthy. Frankly, I have been happier the last 2 mo than in 5 yrs. Good, huh? After stalling for weeks my weight has finally started to creep down a bit. 236 to 232.8. It's a good start. Hope everyone is well and happy too.

sunday 05-01-2013 09:48 AM

On the bone broth, I admit to having some very funky tasting broth before. Especially with grassfed beef. :(

I was determined to make it taste good, because I love the turkey broth so much and felt certain that the best way to make beef/lamb taste as yummy would be to combine. So, I have experimented a bit and this is some of my tips.

1. Roast bones before slow cooking in crock. When using beef/bison/lamb, roasting the bones for 45 minutes at 350 in the oven adds a savory flavor.

2. Just a couple of tbsp of ACV. Any more and it is overwhelming! It is important for getting the gelatinous broth.

3. Don't boil or let cook too high. A slow low temp is the best. 12 hours for poultry and 24 for beef & lamb.

4. Flavor w/ your fav spices/herbs. I love rosemary, but it is dangerous to my dog babies, so I pour a bowl of broth without spices specifically for the dogs then simmer my broth with rosemary, garlic and onion after saving a portion. :)

5. Add at least two chicken wings to every beef or lamb broth. I promise it is well worth it! :heart:

6. Save eggshells and add to broth. Lots of good minerals to be had within the shell.

7. Add one strip of seaweed when your broth is finished to steep in the warm broth and add the wonderful minerals from the seaweed.

I think the bone broth videos on this site are some of the best. Bone Broth: 12 Days Of Gelatin | Traditional Foods

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, she has one that is specifically about the vinegar and another about roasting bones. Good luck and happy bb'ing! :love:

sunday 05-01-2013 09:56 AM

Thanks Lindy. It is good to hear you are feeling fantastic!

I am well and thoroughly enjoy learning as much as I can to help my family be healthy as well. I try to go to Perfect Health site daily and glean as much as possible. So many interesting people. Also Chris Kresser's site Beyond Paleo may be my very fav of all. :love: I can't tell you how much important info that I have learned in just the last 6 months! :)

sungoddess 05-01-2013 10:23 AM

On the bone broth, I do it pretty similar to Sunday. I really like the taste of turkey broth more than any of the others and I use the wings and neck to get some good gel.

Frankly to me, expecting bone broth, by itself, to taste good is like expecting to make something tasty boiling stones in water. By itself, it just isn't good. I do roast the bones and I roast veges to add to the water to add some flavor there. I toss those veges after cooking. I don't add raw onion as I find it makes the broth bitter.

Where the good flavor comes in for me, is later, after it is made and you add the flavors you like to make it taste good. Salt is key to the flavor in my opinion. Have you ever tasted those low sodium chicken broths you buy in the store? Blech!!:sick: I use a lovely sea salt and it makes all the difference in the world. I like Himalayan crystal salt or celtic sea salt. Without salt, it tastes like water to me. For me, I like to add a curry/tumeric spice, salt, coriander, cumin, and black pepper to flavor the broth. Sometimes I even add a bit of dried anise and a bit of rosemary. Sometimes a bit of freshly grated ginger. I also use flavor bombs. I take my fresh herbs and soak them in red wine and olive oil to extract their goodness, and whirl it in the blender and make into herbal ice cubes. After heating my broth, I throw a few of the bombs in for good flavor.

I keep my stock cooking at a gentle simmer and do not let it do the rolling boil thing. I also skim off any foam as that stuff is nasty.

If you don't like the flavor of the broth itself, just use it as a base to make other soups. I have used it to make yummy French onion soup, and creamy cauliflower soup, vegetable soup and pumpkin curry soup etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana (Post 16403455)
Glad to be here. Yesterday I was out of pocket. Went to bed and slept 10 hrs so my totals were very incomplete. I feel that this is the month for me. I want to be so healthy. Frankly, I have been happier the last 2 mo than in 5 yrs. Good, huh? After stalling for weeks my weight has finally started to creep down a bit. 236 to 232.8. It's a good start. Hope everyone is well and happy too.

I agree. I want to be healthy too. I think it is WONDERFUL that you have been happier the last two months and that your weight is going down. It is an EXCELLENT start!! :jumpjoy:

Sunday, thanks for starting the new May thread.

Yennie 05-01-2013 10:33 AM

Thanks for the bone broth info. I read about people drinking it like bullion, and when I tried that it was awful. So good to know I'm not alone. I think I'll get a chicken & try again. We are raising turkey for Thanksgiving so I'll have to remember to save the necks, etc.

cici52 05-01-2013 10:41 AM

I have developed a love for the lamb BB. Usually made from the feet which are supplied free to me. I add 2T white wine vinegar and drain the first batch off after 24 hours, add more water and vinegar and cook another 24. I mix the two batches together before. It always gels nicely andi have plenty for the week. Ibefore jarring for fridge. I don't add anything else until I use it.

sunday 05-01-2013 11:15 AM

Cici, So glad to hear that they are giving the feet away! Grand idea. :)

Blonde with a Rose 05-01-2013 11:47 AM

Hello PHD'rs! Sunday thanks for starting the May thread! Just wanted you to know I followed you into May...and anywhere else you wanna go. :hugs:

Terrific and informative stuff on the last page of April regarding thyroid issues, non-goitrogens and spices! Thanks Sunday, Bev and Cici! I'm taking it to heart and cutting out the peanut butter (one of my favorites) and upping some of the good choices, luckily for me are most all of my favorite vegetables. So does anyone know how many raisins are a good dose of iodine? I think I need to research more on the subject of iodine because of having a nodule on my thyroid. Believe it or not DH and I were discussing iodine supplements, in bed last night at 11:00pm. Long after we should have been asleep in order to get up at 5am. Sheesh.

Yennie, Dr Oz should take the pulse of his critics. He might be surprised to learn that he's losing his charm (and integrity) with every new thing he hypes. I do like him, but he isn't as 'helpful' as he used to be. I'm learning to take things with a grain of salt and more studying before I run out and buy.

Good day to everyone!:love:

sungoddess 05-01-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose (Post 16403747)
Hello PHD'rs! Sunday thanks for starting the May thread! Just wanted you to know I followed you into May...and anywhere else you wanna go. :hugs:

Terrific and informative stuff on the last page of April regarding thyroid issues, non-goitrogens and spices! Thanks Sunday, Bev and Cici! I'm taking it to heart and cutting out the peanut butter (one of my favorites) and upping some of the good choices, luckily for me are most all of my favorite vegetables. So does anyone know how many raisins are a good dose of iodine? I think I need to research more on the subject of iodine because of having a nodule on my thyroid. Believe it or not DH and I were discussing iodine supplements, in bed last night at 11:00pm. Long after we should have been asleep in order to get up at 5am. Sheesh.

Yennie, Dr Oz should take the pulse of his critics. He might be surprised to learn that he's losing his charm (and integrity) with every new thing he hypes. I do like him, but he isn't as 'helpful' as he used to be. I'm learning to take things with a grain of salt and more studying before I run out and buy.

Cici- Cool!! Free feet!!

Good day to everyone!:love:

The Dr Oz show really started to get to me last year. Every show seemed to be focused on a miracle weight loss plan. Each plan seemed to conflict with the previous one. Every other buzz word was "miracle supplement", "secret fat busters", and "SHOCKING info" to share with us. I was so disgusted with how often they said those words that I wrote the show about it. It obviously did nothing to change anything. What sells, sells.

I don't know much about raisins or what a good dose of iodine even is. I eat seafood and "hope" I get enough. I read so much that is very contradictory about iodine. One says absolutely don't supplement, and some say do. I'll have to look up raisins. I know the balance now between minerals is so vital. I learned that reading PHD. But I really don't know how to achieve that perfect balance. I do see the balance between iodine and selenium is vital!!

Jaminet said- Excess iodine intake can cause an autoimmune thyroiditis that bears all the characteristics of Hashimoto’s. However, in animal studies this occurs only if selenium is deficient or in excess. Similarly, in animal studies very high iodine intake can exacerbate a pre-existing autoimmune thyroiditis, but only if selenium is deficient or in excess.

With optimal selenium status, thyroid follicles are healthy, goiter is eliminated, and autoimmune markers like Th1/Th2 ratio and CD4+/CD8+ ratio are normalized over a wide range of iodine intake. It seems that optimizing selenium intake provides powerful protection against autoimmune thyroid disease, and provides tolerance of a wide range of iodine intakes.

cici52 05-01-2013 12:45 PM

Yikes, what a mess my last phone post was. Happy to have internet at the moment.

Seems like we all have some thyroid concern and I haven't really been able to figure it all out despite the good information presented. Just when I think I have the diet going in the right direction, something else needs to be addressed.

One thing I have learned is it is impossible to adhere to more than one WOE sanely. I have felt very bingy on ETL so not as adherent as should be. I will probably just go back to PHD when I have exhausted the ETL foods now in the house. I never felt better than when following PHD. Just wasn't losing weight.

sungoddess 05-01-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cici52 (Post 16403870)
Yikes, what a mess my last phone post was. Happy to have internet at the moment.

Seems like we all have some thyroid concern and I haven't really been able to figure it all out despite the good information presented. Just when I think I have the diet going in the right direction, something else needs to be addressed.

One thing I have learned is it is impossible to adhere to more than one WOE sanely. I have felt very bingy on ETL so not as adherent as should be. I will probably just go back to PHD when I have exhausted the ETL foods now in the house. I never felt better than when following PHD. Just wasn't losing weight.

Same goes for me too Cici, about feeling good on PHD. I also am not losing, but I haven't reduced my caloric intake either. I think I need to cut back, religiously, and see if I can find the point where I start the weight loss.

Mamatomany 05-01-2013 02:02 PM

I have been lurking and reading....and I swallow real hard when it comes to oats :( NO OATMEAL - WHAT - boo hoo :( It is amazing how close I do eat to this, except living on a goat farm, I love fermented dairy products, and fresh cheeses :) Maybe you don't have to do things 100%? Also, If I did this for weight loss, what can you expect from this? And would love to see a sample menu. I do render my own tallow, and we process our home grown chickens and beef...altho I never called it bone broth, even tho I cook the whole darn thing to make stock? Hmmm...I have some more research to do I guess! And what about stevia?

Lindy in Louisiana 05-01-2013 04:50 PM

I don't have any more of my chicken bone broth and it certainly is a comedown to have canned broth w/1 T butter. Got to get busy and get out to the store. The best broth that's not overnight in the crock is 1 lb gizzards boiled 1 hr. Tastes so good. But then I like gizzards. :hyst::hyst:

sunday 05-01-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamatomany (Post 16404009)
I have been lurking and reading....and I swallow real hard when it comes to oats :( NO OATMEAL - WHAT - boo hoo :( It is amazing how close I do eat to this, except living on a goat farm, I love fermented dairy products, and fresh cheeses :) Maybe you don't have to do things 100%? Also, If I did this for weight loss, what can you expect from this? And would love to see a sample menu. I do render my own tallow, and we process our home grown chickens and beef...altho I never called it bone broth, even tho I cook the whole darn thing to make stock? Hmmm...I have some more research to do I guess! And what about stevia?

Welcome Mama! I said the same thing about oats! ;) It is a grain unfortunately, and so this is where we make a decision as to whether it is important enough to release it. I am not 100% Perfect all of the time. I just pay close attention to Everything that I eat now. :)
In fact, I am striving for the best for my health. I have only been on PHD for 4 months, started in January, and steel cut oats and black eye peas were my 2 items that I didn't want to let go, but decided to try and see how much I missed it. Amazingly, I have not missed it too much. Although, my DH has oats every day for breakfast. :laugh: I still have some dairy, because Jaminet allows it in limitation. I don't make dairy my focus of the day. I treat it as a small part of the daily diet and not as a main portion.

As for weight loss, I haven't lost a lot of weight, yet, but I am not gaining and I am losing, although slowly. I think this is another area that I will see progress as I heal the damage that I have done in 50 plus years of poor choices. It is a work in progress. I hope you will enjoy the ride even though it may be bumpy at times.

sunday 05-01-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana (Post 16404241)
I don't have any more of my chicken bone broth and it certainly is a comedown to have canned broth w/1 T butter. Got to get busy and get out to the store. The best broth that's not overnight in the crock is 1 lb gizzards boiled 1 hr. Tastes so good. But then I like gizzards. :hyst::hyst:

:cool: We love to hear about all types of broth. It doesn't matter how you made it, please share! :)

sunday 05-01-2013 06:43 PM

Mama, The thing about PHD, is staying away from toxins. Toxins are the reason that we can't lose weight and possibly the reason that we fall prey to illnesses or poor health. I think this is where you make the decision as to how healthy you feel and whether or not you have issues that oats could be affecting?

It sounds to me as though you eat very healthy and if oats has not been an issue, I would say try the test of seeing how your body deals with oats and PHD type foods? If you do not suffer with either allergies, illness, or weight issues, you may be good to go! :up:

Yennie 05-01-2013 07:30 PM

Broth update

I was able to get a pre-roasted organic chicken (how cool is that for a small town grocery store?) so we had that along with oven fries (cooked potato hack style) for lunch. The monkey man loved the chicken. He'd been asking for chicken but I'm trying to stay away from the processed nuggets - gross! He was the partial inspiration behind getting the chicken.
Anyway, currently bubbling away in the crock pot is the whole de-fleshed carcass, 5 egg shells, crushed, 2 TBS ACV, a few bay leaves, some sage, some fresh parsley (it overwintered in my garden) and I'll salt it before drinking. I had it up on high until it started to bubble then turned it down to low. Already it looks and smells better than any of the previous attempts so here's hoping.

ETA: I took a couple sips out of the pot. Doesn't taste nearly as good as it smells. However, I did not think it was gross like I did with the last 2 batches. I think with salt I could drink it plain. And I started it at noon so its only been going 8 hours. I'm thinking of turning the pot off overnight, letting it cool, defat and maybe letting it cook a bit more tomorrow morning before straining?

gotsomeold 05-02-2013 04:21 AM

I find keeping bb on a very low heat - never let it come completely to a boil - does enhance the flavor. But I also tend to add herbs and bring it back to a simmer before I drink it...or add it to recipes. The complexity of the taste makes a great background for just about anything I cook.

Hey Beverly! I am in the early stages of macular degeneration too. (Isn't being 60 fun...not) Thanks for all the info. As always, antioxidants rule.

Blonde with a Rose 05-02-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

I have been lurking and reading....and I swallow real hard when it comes to oats :( NO OATMEAL - WHAT - boo hoo :( It is amazing how close I do eat to this, except living on a goat farm, I love fermented dairy products, and fresh cheeses :) Maybe you don't have to do things 100%?

Mamatomany~ 100% compliance, all the time is darn near impossible. In my opinion, pick your battles. If having oats is your 'splurge' you are light years ahead already. :welcome:

Bev~ I did some reading up on iodine too. It's a bit confusing and I read it's not necessary to 'supplement' it and it can cause problems if you have too much. I don't know, it can be overwhelming to sort through all the info out there. :stars:

Lindy~ My mom loved chicken gizzards! She would boil them until they tenderized (well as much a gizzards will) then bread and fry. I never acquired the taste myself.

My big confession for the day (which will draw gasps from all over the site)

I have not made any bone broth. :dunno:

I realize I'm probably missing out on the most amazing feature of PHD.

Blonde with a Rose 05-02-2013 07:10 AM

Hello Nancy, Yennie and Cici!!:hiya:

sunday 05-02-2013 07:49 AM

Blonde, :laugh: That is no biggie. ;)

I kept reading about BB for a long time before I found PHD and wondering if I should I try it? BB is great with taters, mixed in veggies, or soups. To be honest, I think it is the GAPS diet that convinced me to try it because of the healing that it brings to our gut. It was when I tried it on top of taters that I realized what a real treat it is and then became addicted to the stuff.

I also agree that PHD is not a plan that you have to be 100% committed, because I don't know of any plan that I would give a trial if that were the case. It is a progression. Gluten, sugar, and vegetable oils were already on my "never eat" checklist. Oats & beans, are still on my "maybe eat" list. I read the book because I kept seeing others mention the health benefits and that Jaminet promoted fasting. So, here I am. :love:

sungoddess 05-02-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

:welcome: I can't imagine anyone doing it 100%. Sounds like you are living a pretty healthy lifestyle already! For me, I just measure myself by improvements made. I have GREATLY eliminated grains, sugar, bad fats, legumes, and definitely improved my nutrient intake through healthy foods. I do use stevia. I am working on decreasing my omega 6's and increasing the omega 3's. I do feel better. But I am not anywhere near 100%! I have not experienced the weight loss I want, but then I wasn't with any plan. I still think I am working on major healing in my body and the 'ol body hasn't been ready to work on fat loss yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16404779)
I find keeping bb on a very low heat - never let it come completely to a boil - does enhance the flavor. But I also tend to add herbs and bring it back to a simmer before I drink it...or add it to recipes. The complexity of the taste makes a great background for just about anything I cook.

Hey Beverly! I am in the early stages of macular degeneration too. (Isn't being 60 fun...not) Thanks for all the info. As always, antioxidants rule.

I didn't realize that this is the case for several people I know. No one mentioned it so I thought I was alone with this. I am sorry you are going through this too because it is scary, but I should have known since we were separated at birth. hahaha...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose (Post 16405067)
Mamatomany~ 100% compliance, all the time is darn near impossible. In my opinion, pick your battles. If having oats is your 'splurge' you are light years ahead already. :welcome:

Bev~ I did some reading up on iodine too. It's a bit confusing and I read it's not necessary to 'supplement' it and it can cause problems if you have too much. I don't know, it can be overwhelming to sort through all the info out there. :stars:

Lindy~ My mom loved chicken gizzards! She would boil them until they tenderized (well as much a gizzards will) then bread and fry. I never acquired the taste myself.

My big confession for the day (which will draw gasps from all over the site)

I have not made any bone broth. :dunno:

I realize I'm probably missing out on the most amazing feature of PHD.

That's funny about the bone broth Blonde. Personally, I can take it or leave it. I am far from addicted to it. I do make it and use it because of said healing properties, but I am not crazy about it.

I went to this really cool restaurant last night, where everything on the menu is under 475 calories. The best news is that the food is absolutely delicious, with the flavor and quality you never miss the calories. This as really quality food. I had a great strawberry spinach salad and then cedar plank grilled salmon with fresh asparagus, carrots, beets, and fingerling potatoes. It was just delicious. It's a seasonally-inspired menu. I was able to eat gluten free too. They do this cool thing with desserts- the mini indulgence. The whole concept of the mini indulgence is indulgence in a smaller portion size. They make the real thing… dessert… in all its decadence, and then put it into a shot-size glass. I skipped the dessert because I was satisfied with my meal, but I think the concepts at this place are great ideas for healthier dining out.:clap::up:

I did the idea I posted from the blog where the woman steamed her greens and then froze them in cubes. I am not sure if that really reduces the goitrogen issue or not, but I was able to digest my smoothie easier. Hmmm....:confused: Plus, my greens don't last long before they start to spoil and get slimy and mushie. This seems like a good way to preserve them better. I hate wasting money!

Joyjoy 05-02-2013 08:18 AM

Blonde, I am gasping.:hyst:
Me, I eat bone broth, potatoes, masses of liver and Brussel sprouts, and kefir.
But. Last night, shortly after hearing a friend of mine had had a couple of strokes on the weekend, I was at the grocery store to pick up an organic chicken.
I got to the checkout, where I unloaded the chicken, the tarragon, the lemon, the onion, AND Reese's pieces, bridge mixture (haven't seen that since I was ten), Kraft Dinner (ditto), Australian black licorice (which I don't like but which my lovely man loves), and two bars of 85% chocolate.
I swear to god I had no memory of picking these things up.
It wasn't till I got to the car that I remembered the strokes - I'd blocked out the news almost as soon as I'd heard.
Got home, ate the Kraft Dinner (which was gorgeous in an infantile way), and calmed down.
Also ate a couple of bridge mixture bits which were not gorgeous in any way.
Next time I figure I'll just buy a case of baby formula.
Crazy. And wonderful, somehow.
Long story. The point is that gasping is for non-humans.
Hope everybody has a wonderful day.:):heart:

Key Tones 05-02-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 16405237)

I did the idea I posted from the blog where the woman steamed her greens and then froze them in cubes. I am not sure if that really reduces the goitrogen issue or not, but I was able to digest my smoothie easier. Hmmm....:confused: Plus, my greens don't last long before they start to spoil and get slimy and mushie. This seems like a good way to preserve them better. I hate wasting money!

I have read that frozen vegetables have to be blanched or they will not keep as frozen.

I love buying frozen veg for this reason. They are super economical (no waste) and frozen when fresh.

I keep quite a load of organic spinach from Trader Joe's in my freezer for use in smoothies. I have a big bag of frozen mixed cauliflower/broccoli/carrots from Costco. Not sure how I feel about these, but I put a handful in my evening smoothies.

I prefer to steam frozen or fresh cauliflower and mash it in a food processor - this is my favorite method.

Key Tones 05-02-2013 09:58 AM

RE: Diet adherence - as in many things in life, it is better to go for excellence, not perfection.

RE: Bone broth - I started using this with Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet. I was a big fan and lost weight initially, but after a while gained weight that was like concrete to get back off. I couldn't find satiety in a diet that high in fat.

cici52 05-02-2013 09:58 AM

Kristin, Love your analysis. I have done the same thing so many times. Mindlessly drifting through the store considering and justifying this little bit of goo and that while blocking out some unpleasant thought. For me it means a binge is in the works and if I realize it I have gone back around and put it back. You seem to have come out of the fog well before doing too much damage. My mother can eat like that. Just a bit of something without diving headlong in and finishing the lot.

Have any of you considered the possibility of fungal overgrowth in your gut and other health issues? I was watching a program today that linked a lot of things together and even addressed the issue of weight resulting from this problem. As I was considering my own history I realized PHD is largely antifungal, other than the starch factor. I don't know if Jaminet addresses fungus but will do a little research. The author wrote a book called The Fungus Link. I know candida diets are not new but am just beginning to consider this aspect so welcome any thoughts or experience.