Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Bev, Oh, dear. I would definitely not take it again at bedtime. In fact, I should probably take my last dose 3 hours before bed myself.

Do you have pre-diabetes? It sounds to me that PJ can't take potato starch but she can the hi-maize. In fact, she reports pretty good sleep. Maybe you should switch and see if that makes a difference?

I am not sure that there is any reason to take it late in the evening to begin with. I think I may have done this accidentally.

On Sunday, I will weigh in and see how this whole experiment goes. I almost feel like I need to bring it in a notch. Especially with this fullness, I am feeling.
Thanks for your input Sunday. I don't think I am pre-diabetic, but with the way things to be going for me, I wouldn't be surprised. My last test was a year ago and I was okay.

I have a huge bag of the hi-maize I was using for baking, and maybe I will play around with the two. I am hoping it was something else other than the RS, but it seems connected. I don't get stomach aches from potatoes and when I did the 8 day tater fest, I felt fine and had no sleep issues. So who knows.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Getting prepared now. Got my liver, potatoes and carrots. Also, put on my bone broth today. Not everything is optimal yet but it's coming.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Sounds good, lindy.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Liver...yummy I'm the only one in the house who would eat it. My last steer that was processed I had them slice the liver and package it in individual packs equalling just a serving..yummy. He was GRAS fed mostly and what his mama shared with him was a gluten free grain mix and alfalfa hay...he was about 700lbs. When processed at 17months. His mama just called again....a little heifer this time. We are considering getting a feeder cals!
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

How to ruin a potato - I asked the grocer how to store potatoes to avoid them growing. He said refridgerate. Now I read that storing in the fridge changes the starch to sugar. That may explain some things.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Great Lindy! Hope you enjoy this as much as I am!

Mama, good for you that you love liver and just happen to raise the healthiest superfood according to Paul Jaminet & Chris Kresser! I think it is an acquired taste and I am getting there!

I feel good ending day #2. Hope to keep this up for a while!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
How to ruin a potato - I asked the grocer how to store potatoes to avoid them growing. He said refridgerate. Now I read that storing in the fridge changes the starch to sugar. That may explain some things.
Wow, I have been cooking and cooling all of my taters. I did not know this. So, what happens to the starch?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Was referring to raw potato storage. Study sugests buying only what you need for a few days and store in the coolest place in yoir home away from light. Optimum temp is 42-55°F for longer storage. Am I the only one having trouble with potato storage?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been storing in a dark pantry, but I sometimes have to throw some a way because they begin to sprout. I will try and watch this. So, I wonder if it pays to cook a batch and refrigerate? This way, you don't have to worry.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Just in case anybody misses me...

I'm babysitting for a friend from 9am to 8pm, but I have to leave the house at 7am and today (after stopping for groceries and gas) I didn't get home til almost 10pm. She just asked me to do it this week Tues-Fri (she owns a flower shop and has lots to do for Mother's Day) but the baby liked me and she got so much done that I might be doing it 2 more weeks (prom & weddings).

So I won't have time to post much...I need to pack lunch, take a shower, and go to bed!!!

I hope everyone has a pleasant and successful week!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I think that is the way to go. Buy, cook, then refrigerate. Since making potatoes a daily thing, I have probably eaten most of them after the starch converted to sugar.

Last edited by cici52; 05-07-2013 at 08:20 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
What a frustration. Six hours after putting my bone broth in the crock pot, I realized it was on high. So all my minerals are toast? Or something is spoiled. I'm still so new at this, I have to learn what works and what doesn't. Erggg.

Another thing I have a question about. Eating taters by themselves after cooling in fridge for hrs or overnight. Do I only eat them without fats or can I have it. On the website, they show recipes of baked potato slices along with a meat protein. I thought we were supposed to only eat them by themselves.

And finally (thank God you say), What about pork? Paul has a long segment on pork. Everything he says is it's bad for you. But at the same time only fresh pork is sooo dangerous. He says processed is much safer and bacon can be beneficial. But he doesn't say we can eat it. And his last part of the segment is a recipe for baked babyback ribs.

Any thoughts? Thanks ladies, you're so helpful.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #223
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Was referring to raw potato storage. Study sugests buying only what you need for a few days and store in the coolest place in yoir home away from light. Optimum temp is 42-55°F for longer storage. Am I the only one having trouble with potato storage?
No. I have had no trouble storing my potatoes. I bought mine on Sunday, have 1 bag of 5 lbs, 3 3 lbs bags of potatoes, and a few random other bags. No issues whatsoever. I keep them on the floor in my kitchen. Bake what I need for the day the night before.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy,
Ask away! That is what we are here for.

On Bone Broth, you are not supposed to let it boil, but even my crock pot seems to do this on low sometimes. I still drink it and perhaps the minerals are intact. I think the best broth is not hard boiled and possibly the amount of water in the broth can keep this from happening. Weston Price has a wonderful article about bone broth and if you search the youtube videos. I have found many great lessons.
Here is one such video... She has many lesson youtubes that are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUCSaud1kI

Re: Taters - You can eat taters w/ anything at any time. If you were to do the fast w/ taters only, you would restrict fats and sugar during this period. I would not recommend doing the tater fast until you are well nourished, because it is a fast and doesn't supply all of your vitamins & minerals. Although many JUDDDers do the tater fast as a 'down day' because it works so well.

Re: Pork - I think pork is one of the meats that I will limit how often, but it is perfectly fine to have it. I am very fond of pulled pork and love bacon as well. My reasoning for limiting how much pork is because of the reasons that Paul speaks about in his book. Perfect Health plan is all about toxins and which foods are toxin free. Pork that is processed has the least amount of toxins, so fresh pork is "iffy" and then you have the "Omega 6" factor.

Yes, some cultures use pork as often as we cook with chicken, so I think this is your own personal decision on individual health basis.

Quote:
The Trouble With Pork, Part 3: Pathogens
Posted by Paul Jaminet on February 22, 2012 Go to comments (100)

We started this series with a look at remarkably strong correlations between pork consumption and liver cirrhosis mortality, liver cancer, and multiple sclerosis (Pork: Did Leviticus 11:7 Have It Right?, Feb 8, 2012). In Part 2, we looked at omega-6 fats in industrial pork meat and toxins in processed pork products as possible causes (The Trouble with Pork, Part 2, Feb 15, 2012).

That second post left us with several clues that some pathogen (or pathogens) that (a) infects both pigs and humans and (b) can be transmitted from pigs to humans via the eating of pork, is responsible for the disease associations. These clues include:

The risk is higher for fresh pork than processed pork. Processed pork is generally cured or smoked, both steps that are anti-microbial.
Eating fiber, which increases gut bacterial populations and enhances immune vigilance of the gut, is protective.
The disease risk is specifically associated with two organs – the central nervous system (multiple sclerosis) and the liver (cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma). Pathogens are more likely than other pork components to have tissue specificity.

Our mission today is to try to track down the pathogen(s), and figure out how to minimize risk of infection.
Pigs And Zoonotic Infections

Scientists studying xenotransplantation – the transplantation of animal organs into a person to replace a failing organ – have had the best luck with pig organs. Pigs are easier to work with than primates, not dramatically different in size than humans, and their organs are less likely to provoke rejection than those of other mammals. This suggests a similarity of biology between pigs and humans.

But biological similarity has its downsides. A large number of pathogens can infect both pigs and humans. More than any other animal, pigs pass pathogens to humans.

Indeed, investigators have been surprised at how frequently pathogens pass back and forth. According to a new study (discussed at Aetiology) of the evolutionary history of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), S. aureus was passed to pigs by their human caretakers. In pigs, which are routinely given antibiotics by industrial food producers, S. aureus picked up resistance genes to tetracyclines and methicillins. The resulting antibiotic-resistant ST398 strain was passed back to humans.

Wikipedia lists some of the pathogens that flourish in both pigs and humans and can infect humans who eat infected pork, usually undercooked pork:

Pork tapeworm, Taenia solium, not only causes a parasitic infection of the intestines (the worm is typically 2 to 3 meters long) but also the larvae can infect the brain and muscles, causing the disease Cysticercosis which is a common cause of seizures.
The roundworm Trichinella spiralis causes trichinosis. As in tapeworm infections, the mature worms are largely confined to the intestines where symptoms include nausea, heartburn, dyspepsia, diarrhea, and eosinophilia but larvae can migrate through the body, producing edema, muscle pain, fever, and weakness. The greatest danger is if the larvae reach the brain, where they can cause “serious neurological deficits (such as ataxia or respiratory paralysis), and even death.” Death results from a rare form of stroke, myocarditis, encephalitis, or pneumonia.
Other helminths including pinworms and hookworms, and ascarid worms. [14]
Listeria monocytogenes [24].
E. coli, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus aureus [25].
Yersinia enterocolitica, which causes gastroenteritis, is nearly always transmitted through pork.[28]
Brucella spp., the bacteria which cause brucellosis or undulant fever.
Various viruses, including porcine herpesvirus, rotavirus, parvovirus, and circovirus. Some influenza viruses, such as the famous “swine flu,” have been known to be transmitted from pigs to humans. SARS is an example of a coronavirus which was transmitted from pigs to humans. PERVS (porcine endogenous retroviruses) may also be infectious in humans; of three subgroups of infectious PERVs (PERV-A, PERV-B, and PERV-C), PERV-A and PERV-B have been shown to infect human cells in culture. [24][26]

Although all of these pathogens are potential concerns, I do not see strong specific links between the above pathogens and our three pork-associated diseases – liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, and multiple sclerosis.

However, there is another pathogen capable of infecting humans from pork that is a strong candidate: hepatitis E virus (HEV).
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-08-2013 at 05:45 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Just in case anybody misses me...

I'm babysitting for a friend from 9am to 8pm, but I have to leave the house at 7am and today (after stopping for groceries and gas) I didn't get home til almost 10pm. She just asked me to do it this week Tues-Fri (she owns a flower shop and has lots to do for Mother's Day) but the baby liked me and she got so much done that I might be doing it 2 more weeks (prom & weddings).

So I won't have time to post much...I need to pack lunch, take a shower, and go to bed!!!

I hope everyone has a pleasant and successful week!
Ah yes, we do miss you PJ! I am glad that you are enjoying the baby and hope it is a great week for you. I love babies and especially enjoy how much we can learn from the innocence of a child.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
just a thought about the chocolate: I have two methods that work well. Number One, I buy the World Market 99% cacao, and really truly one square is awesome and you quickly adapt to the level of bitterness. The other thing I do is mix 1 Tbs hersheys special dark chocolate with 1 Tbs So Delicious coconut creamer and a little sweetener and stir stir stir. Like a bite or two of mousse without the damage.
Ouiz, I love So Delicious coconut creamer and will definitely try this! I also have tried the recipe of placing a can of "Native Forest" organic coconut milk in the fridge and when removing it, the cream will have hardened at the top. Take this cream and whip with cocoa and add sweetener. I use stevia/erithytol, but whichever you like. It is decadent and a perfect low carb treat.

I looked up World Market chocolate bars and they are very reasonable but can't order online. We need a world market here in my neck of the woods... Lots of good chocolate ideas w/ these 99% bars.

Last edited by sunday; 05-08-2013 at 06:34 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

From Wiki answers

Quote:
No, not minerals. Minerals are trace elements or inorganic compounds. To 'destroy' them would involve far more energy than any food preparation will require.

Vitamins can be destroyed though. As organic compounds, they will break down during the cooking, being split into their components. They will therefore be unable to be used for their original purposes, as the shape of organic molecules is very important.
I think what might change with boiling is the gelatin. Gelatin is protein, therefore can be burned as fuel so it stands to reason that high temps would change it.

Last edited by cici52; 05-08-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

If you google The Wonders of Gelatin you will find a great article about this as well as how tos. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem afraid of boiling.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Cici, I am glad to know we have not boiled away the goodness. I accidentally, turned mine off the other night before bed, when I woke up and found it off, I panicked. I googled and searched and it seems that a lot of people do this with out any problem. I went ahead and turned it back on and simmered the rest of the day, but still feel a tad squirmish about drinking. Will update on what I feel or taste.

Last edited by sunday; 05-08-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

-my cholesterol has dropped from 230 to 176, and my BS has dropped from 106 fasting to 86 fasting. Something good is happening. I am also noticing that my cravings continue to be incredibly reduced, especially since I have moved to a more plant based diet. crazy. I still keep things mostly low carb and certainly no grains.
This is amazing and so encouraging! Congrats!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Trying to catch up around here. Busy ladies!

Struggling a bit with staying within my (self-imposed) calories and have been simply maintaining for awhile now. Did my first down-ish day of 800 calories yesterday (have not JUDDDed since December) and am actually trying a Big Breakfast approach today. Mixing it up but still PHD-esque 80% of the time.

Amazing results, Ouis! I actually started this whole health journey by reading Furhman and all of the vegan authors.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I'm loving Bev's corgi avatar!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Joyce! Bev's avi is simply the sweetest. And Ouiz's blood test is REMARKABLE!

On PHD FB, they posted this recipe and I came here to share, because I am seriously missing pancakes and pumpkin.

Gluten Free Grain Free Pancakes

Completely grain free healthy pumpkin pancakes that are PHD/GAPS legal.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 2

Ingredients

2 eggs
¼ cup pumpkin puree (GAPS legal canned pumpkin puree or homemade)
⅛ tsp. cinnamon
Coconut oil for the pan
Raw butter, raw honey, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or fruit butter for serving

Instructions

Warm a cast iron pan over medium high heat.
Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon.
Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to the hot pan and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
Use about two scant tablespoons of batter for each pancake. They flip best when the pancakes are small.
Cook until golden on the bottom and slightly opaque in the center and around the edges.
Flip, brown on the other side, and serve.
Makes about 8 small pancakes, for 1 large serving or 2 medium servings.

Last edited by sunday; 05-08-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Oh, and I'm loving Bev's corgi avatar!!!
Hi Joyce, Good to see you!! I forgot you had a corgi avatar. It really makes me want one. I love the ears so much!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I agree Joyce! Bev's avi is simply the sweetest. And Ouiz's blood test is REMARKABLE!

On PHD FB, they posted this recipe and I came here to share, because I am seriously missing pancakes and pumpkin.

Gluten Free Grain Free Pancakes

Completely grain free healthy pumpkin pancakes that are PHD/GAPS legal.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 2

Ingredients

2 eggs
¼ cup pumpkin puree (GAPS legal canned pumpkin puree or homemade)
⅛ tsp. cinnamon
Coconut oil for the pan
Raw butter, raw honey, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or fruit butter for serving

Instructions

Warm a cast iron pan over medium high heat.
Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon.
Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to the hot pan and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
Use about two scant tablespoons of batter for each pancake. They flip best when the pancakes are small.
Cook until golden on the bottom and slightly opaque in the center and around the edges.
Flip, brown on the other side, and serve.
Makes about 8 small pancakes, for 1 large serving or 2 medium servings.
Very pretty pancakes! Interesting to make them with just pumpkin and egg. How do they taste? Like pumpkin pie?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I was having problems because they were spoiling or sprouting. Now I bring them home and cook them right away and it seems to be working.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, ladies!

I LOVE my corgi, Buttercup. She is the best!

I've seen a similar recipe made with bananas and egg only. I made some cream cheese + egg pancakes for my daughter last week (more like crepes) but unsurprisingly, they did not pass muster with her. Today I put protein powder in her yogurt. BUT the crepes were pretty good, I thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22632_250018474901_5594397_n.jpg (11.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Loving the potato tips, too! I've been buying a five pound bag and calling it a race to the finish. Told my husband the other day it is too much pressure. I'm going to start buying fewer at a time, I think . . . just sure that's not as economical.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
RE: Jaminet on pork - his note about the association between pork and liver cirrhosis is what scared me. Ground pork sounds the most dangerous for undercooking. It was in one of the series of the Trouble With Pork.

I remember thinking that Kwasniewski (Optimal Diet) advocates pork as the ideal food, and the Okinawans (some of the longest lived people on the planet) eat pork. This is confusing.

I don't think I want anything but bacon now and wouldn't trust someone else's cooking of it (afraid of sausage!).
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Joyce, See there you go! Now I want a Corgi. Are they easy to train? Absolutely precious pic.

I have made the cream cheese pancakes and I felt like I was eating too much fat, although, they were so yummy. I am hoping that the pumpkin will help keep the fat lower, but also provide me some good nutrition. I will let you all know, because it is going to be on my menu tomorrow.

Today's menu~
Break - 1 kombucha, 3 egg yolks in CO, 1 oz of liver
Lunch - Avocado, tomato, salsa baked in side portabello mushroom w/ parmesan sprinkled on top.
Dinner - 3 sardines, Yukon Gold, BB, saurkraut
Dessert - 1 oz Dark chocolate Bar 85%

Total Cals - 1078
62/22/16

supps - 3 tbs RS, Triphala, Turmeric

I think the triphala is the reason that I am quite detoxed. I still having very in depth dreams, sleeping well, waking up at 6 feeling like I could sleep about one more hour. Plenty of energy during day.