Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
PJ,

Are you saying CS doesn't have as much RS as potato? I am thinking that 3 tbsp. should be more than enough.

On the UCAN, I stumbled on a whole website "Lifetime Weightloss" where all of the site is based on different programs for weightloss, most significant is that they have quite a bit of quality supplements and products for men & women. Anyway, they have a link, "Resistant Starch - A Surprising New Helper in the Battle for Health"... which is partially what I posted the info with that one sentence.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, I think you need to drink lots of water and broth. I could never have continued the tater hack without both. I noticed that SlowSure said that she still doesn't have cravings. That is rather remarkable to me!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
A lot of you are very resistant to eating liver. I saw this and thought it might help.

AliciaMay 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I didn't grow up with liver and have had difficulty appreciating the taste. In order to get the nutritional benefit, I puree the raw, cubed, lemon-marinated liver in my food processor and then freeze it in portions via an ice cube tray. I thaw a few of the cubes at a time, storing them in the refrigerator. I usually eat a cube day. I take a spoonful or two of it right down the gullet with a swig of water!
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
This talk about resistant starch is very fascinating/interesting. I am doing the potato hack right now and am on day #2. I am waiting to have that satisfied feeling. Almost 2 full days of potatoes only and I still have to wait to not have cravings. Ugh!! I feel so broken. I have eaten just potatoes yesterday and today and could stand to eat some more potatoes. I am going to eat dinner in just a bit, but wonder if I am eating enough? I posted on the potato hack thread that Dr Oz had a segment on resistant starch the other week, but no one seemed interested. I posted for the very reason that if Dr Oz had it on his show, it may become more well known. What I remember (his show on the was many weeks ago) is that it is very good for the gut, cleans out the colon and helps with weight loss. And I do remember the lady who was talking about it with him, a doctor, was saying that she would buy green bananas and mash them up as you would mash up Idaho or russet potatoes. Didn't sound too appealing, but another way to get in the resistant starch. She said that was how they ate bananas in Jamaica, where she grew up. At least I recall she said that, it could be another island she is from. Well I am off to heat up my cooked/cooled potatoes from last night.
I didn't realize that Oz, the great and mighty, ran that on his show. There will probably be a run on the stuff now!! I tried eating green bananas awhile back and . But I used green banana flour in baked goods and that worked just fine. I was trying to make my own banana flour. My friend does it by dipping them in a citric acid to keep them from browning, and then dehydrating them in the sun and then pulverizing them into banana flour.

Wash bananas and soak them in hot water, unpeeled, for about two minutes, then remove the rind and cut thin strips, place on a baking sheet.*Let dry in the sun until they are completely dry and brittle.*Then move everything in a blender or moedeira, not too long before the flour is not too thin, completed pass through a sieve to remove impurities, now just save and use.*Another way to do is instead of the sun, use the oven, in which case leave the pan in the oven for about 40 minutes, then take the slices throw in the blender, grind them and use to taste.

You can also do the same thing and make banana chips and salt them. They become like a cracker for sardines and liver pate! Same with plantains.

And you aren't broken, my dear. That just sounds too sad. We are all looking for what is going to work for us. You'll get there!!

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-06-2013 at 03:18 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
A lot of you are very resistant to eating liver. I saw this and thought it might help.

AliciaMay 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I didn't grow up with liver and have had difficulty appreciating the taste. In order to get the nutritional benefit, I puree the raw, cubed, lemon-marinated liver in my food processor and then freeze it in portions via an ice cube tray. I thaw a few of the cubes at a time, storing them in the refrigerator. I usually eat a cube day. I take a spoonful or two of it right down the gullet with a swig of water!
I have read this before, and , it sounds worse to me than eating the liver hot and cooked! Eating it raw just makes me feel shaky! I know Sunday said she did or does something similar, but it is cooked and frozen. I can eat it in pate form. I don't like to handle and cook it or even look at it raw. If I could go to the store and buy a half pound of grass fed lamb liver pate, I would be fine. I think that won't be happening though.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, I agree with Bev, you aren't broken.
I admire you for all that you do to help yourself! You are reaching the age that I was when I discovered it takes so much diligence to maintain and I finally reached a point where I knew it was beyond my control. The best thing about the tater hack is that it does tame the "sugar cravings" which in turn help us to concentrate on real foods. Plus I am convinced that the "magic" in the tater is really much more than we ever really knew.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, no raw liver! Ever! I froze the cooked liver and took it like a vitamin. Funny thing, though, I think I was sorely lacking in the amount of nutrients that I needed for "Perfect Health".

Also, I wish that I had never heard about Dr. Oz suggesting potato starch. Dang.

OTOH, it may be good for Bob's Red Mill's business.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Got my BRM PS 20 min ago. Will be interesting to see if the grocery gets cleaned out now that the word is out.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post

I used to like to eat white library paste as a kid. Maybe that is why I was slim then.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post

It is also used in technical applications as wallpaper adhesive, for textile finishing and textile sizing, in paper coating and sizing and as an adhesive in paper sacks and gummed tape.Potato starch was also used in one of the earlier color photography processes, the Lumière brothers' Autochrome Lumière, until the arrival of colour film in the mid-1930s.

I think this is why (tatertot?) said to look for unmodified potato starch - because of industrial uses

!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Got my BRM PS 20 min ago. Will be interesting to see if the grocery gets cleaned out now that the word is out.
A friend who was in Japan said when the word got out there about the "banana diet", a resistant starch diet, there wasn't a spare banana to be found in the town she was in. If we only knew it would be on TV, we could have bought stock in both bananas and potatoes.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
PJ,

Are you saying CS doesn't have as much RS as potato? I am thinking that 3 tbsp. should be more than enough.
I don't think I was trying to compare the RS content, but I just Googled a bit and found that:

Potato starch is 78% RS,
so 48g (4 tbsp) would yield about 37g RS

Hi-Maize (not regular cornstarch) is about 48% RS,
so 48g (4 tbsp) would yield about 23g RS

PS: Since the Hi-Maize keeps the nightmares away, I don't really care that it has less RS!

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-06-2013 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You all are OK, right? The thread isn't usually quiet for this long!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I've been adding some potato starch to my morning green smoothie and seem to have more satiation that way.

By the way--I just had blood work done, and since I have been doing Fuhrman/PHD (I am not eating much meat (other than some clams/oysters I also throw in my green smoothie) and my starch is coming from taters/black beans rather than rice--my cholesterol has dropped from 230 to 176, and my BS has dropped from 106 fasting to 86 fasting. Something good is happening. I am also noticing that my cravings continue to be incredibly reduced, especially since I have moved to a more plant based diet. crazy. I still keep things mostly low carb and certainly no grains.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Excellent results Ouiz! It reaffirms that we are on the right track.

I am certain that this is changing me much more than I have ever been health wise. On the RS, this is my 2nd day and I have had the extra benefit of sleeping like a baby last night, dreamt very long, detailed dreams. Also, I notice that for the first time in a while that I am having regular movement. Okay, I notice this because even when taking Dr. Christopher's supp I wasn't as regular as I am right now. And I am almost overly sated, if that is such a thing? I have had one tbsp of RS today, plus 3 yolks and my 1 oz of liver and I feel extremely full.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-07-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I've been adding some potato starch to my morning green smoothie and seem to have more satiation that way.

By the way--I just had blood work done, and since I have been doing Fuhrman/PHD (I am not eating much meat (other than some clams/oysters I also throw in my green smoothie) and my starch is coming from taters/black beans rather than rice--my cholesterol has dropped from 230 to 176, and my BS has dropped from 106 fasting to 86 fasting. Something good is happening. I am also noticing that my cravings continue to be incredibly reduced, especially since I have moved to a more plant based diet. crazy. I still keep things mostly low carb and certainly no grains.
Way to go!!!
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great news, Ouzoid!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today's Diary~

Breakfast - 1 tbsp of evco, 3 yolks & 1 oz of liver

Lunch - Asparagus, Saurkraut, 1/2 avocado & 3 sardines

Dinner - Yukon Gold, BB & Peaches N Cream

Supps- Triphala, turmeric, Magnesium, 3 tbsp of RS

Total cals - 1066

58/24/18

Last edited by sunday; 05-07-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #199
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

That is fantastic
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Good numbers Ouiz.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Excellent results Ouiz! It reaffirms that we are on the right track.

I am certain that this is changing me much more than I have ever been health wise. On the RS, this is my 2nd day and I have had the extra benefit of sleeping like a baby last night, dreamt very long, detailed dreams. Also, I notice that for the first time in a while that I am having regular movement. Okay, I notice this because even when taking Dr. Christopher's supp I wasn't as regular as I am right now. And I am almost overly sated, if that is such a thing? I have had one tbsp of RS today, plus 3 yolks and my 1 oz of liver and I feel extremely full.
Sunday, I am happy for you. Surely you will see the pounds come off now!
I am feeling quite the opposite today. But I tend to react oddly to things for some reason. I have increased my RS, trying to do it gradually. I decided to take a dose at bedtime to promote the wonderful sleep I have heard others talk about. It was like something turned a switch on in my brain. I did not sleep one single minute last night. I feel like a train ran over me today. I usually fall asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow, but last night it was like I drank a pint of cortisol. OMG that was dreadful. Plus I had a stomach ache right in the pit of my stomach. Nothing else feels bad on me today- no fever, just a stomach ache and pure exhaustion from no sleep. I will not try taking RS before bed again. I can't think of anything else it could be. I tried doing a search on it, but find nothing about that.

Oui- That is just fantastic. What progress! What great numbers!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, Oh, dear. I would definitely not take it again at bedtime. In fact, I should probably take my last dose 3 hours before bed myself.

Do you have pre-diabetes? It sounds to me that PJ can't take potato starch but she can the hi-maize. In fact, she reports pretty good sleep. Maybe you should switch and see if that makes a difference?

I am not sure that there is any reason to take it late in the evening to begin with. I think I may have done this accidentally.

On Sunday, I will weigh in and see how this whole experiment goes. I almost feel like I need to bring it in a notch. Especially with this fullness, I am feeling.

Last edited by sunday; 05-07-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought I would share a new recipe that I found that I am going to make this Sat to celebrate a week of PHD. For all newbies, following PHD paleo doesn't mean that you can't have chocolate. Jaminet says YES! We can!
And believe it or not, these brownies are yummy sans grains and sugar.

Sweet Potato Brownies

3 ounces (or about one bar) 80% dark chocolate
1 tbsp coconut oil
½ cup sweet potato puree
3 tbsp Lundberg Organic Sweet Dreams Brown Rice Syrup
½ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup apple sauce
¼ cup water
¾ cup brown rice or tapioca flour
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8×8-inch square pan with coconut oil and powder with flour.

Melt the chocolate and coconut oil over low heat.

Combine sweet potato, coconut sugar, syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla and applesauce in the food processor. Add the chocolate/oil mix and combine until smooth – it should be creamy, not too dry. Mix in the flour, baking powder and sea salt and process again. Add water if needed for desired consistency.

Pour batter into the pan, smooth it out with a spatula and bake it for 35 – 40 minutes. Insert a toothpick to make sure they are cooked through; they should be firm when you press down.

Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I thought I would share a new recipe that I found that I am going to make this Sat to celebrate a week of PHD. For all newbies, following PHD paleo doesn't mean that you can't have chocolate. Jaminet says YES! We can!
And believe it or not, these brownies are yummy sans grains and sugar.
I wish I could bite into one. They look delicious. Wonder if you could sub pumpkin puree. Can't wait to hear your report on them. I am ready to lick the screen.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Beverly, I also took the RS last night and though getting to sleep was okay, I woke very early. I had been tending toward less sleep the past week or so (I am terrible with time) but last night was the least. Won't blame it on the RS but am going to take it with meals unless I find out differently.

I am at my highest weight in 2 years. It has been steadily going up since I quit smoking. My sister said that smoking raises your metabolism a bit so I've lost that edge. Every time I join a challenge or focus on trying to eat less, I go in the opposite direction. Though my eating hasn't been stellar, it does not account for the gain. Hopefully the warm weather will result in enough activity to awaken the sleeping bear in me. Right now my main goal is to undo the damage of the past few weeks and get back to this year's low. I can identify 3 food items that undermine my efforts. Sugar has crept in. First in the form of occasional chocolate, then other non-grain sweets. A sweetened yogurt here. A crustless cheesecake there. Beer and wine. If it is in the house, 1 or 2 per day. 'Nuf said. Rice - Just too concentrated a starch for me and too easy to overeat. I also think I am one who really needs to have animal protein at every meal. I really thought hard about doing something crazy to change the scales but have decided to just concentrate this week on 3 meals with a little protein, a little starch, a little fruit and as many veggies as I can. No sugar/alcohol/rice. If I can do that a week it should show whether any other adjustments are needed. In addition, 30 min walk or equal indoor exercise.

July challenge
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, my! LLLoook at what popped up while I was posting. Girl doesn't stand a chance. LOL
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I think you should be very proud of quitting and just keep concentrating on your health. You have the right plan and everything will start balancing out. I think one reason that I wanted to do this trial of eating strictly, is that I felt that I tend to overdo the nuts, or the wine, or the chocolate. I am making myself restrict to these basic foods until I feel that I can see the benefits, either in weight loss or in losing the bad habits. So sorry about posting the recipe. Bad timing on my part.

My DH keeps so many sweets in the house that you would think I would be overwhelmed and in sheer misery with the choices. It is very annoying. I can only say that for me personally, it had to be IF plus adding the PHD (specifically taters/starch) that changed my desire for sugar and processed crap. I literally become slightly nauseous (sp) shortly after taking a bite of any of his treats. It has to be the sugar. Or maybe the flour, but whatever reason, I can't. He keeps these ice cream bars named "Magnum" that look amazing, but when I have taken a bite, it tastes so full of sugar and again is very unappetizing. He also buys cookies, baked goods, and the list is endless. I never have anything processed except for the dark chocolate from the health food store that has bits of ginger in it. I am addicted to that stuff.

Bev, I believe the pumpkin would work just as well!

Last edited by sunday; 05-07-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sometimes I think people fear paleo because it seems too strict or too far fetched when they would like something sweet. In fact, except for my dark chocolate, I rarely make anything homemade.

I want to change that. I guess I want to see also, if I might be able to persuade DH to like good healthy desserts as opposed to his junk, which are really horrible for him, in every way.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Beverly, I also took the RS last night and though getting to sleep was okay, I woke very early. I had been tending toward less sleep the past week or so (I am terrible with time) but last night was the least. Won't blame it on the RS but am going to take it with meals unless I find out differently.

I am at my highest weight in 2 years. It has been steadily going up since I quit smoking. My sister said that smoking raises your metabolism a bit so I've lost that edge. Every time I join a challenge or focus on trying to eat less, I go in the opposite direction. Though my eating hasn't been stellar, it does not account for the gain. Hopefully the warm weather will result in enough activity to awaken the sleeping bear in me. Right now my main goal is to undo the damage of the past few weeks and get back to this year's low. I can identify 3 food items that undermine my efforts. Sugar has crept in. First in the form of occasional chocolate, then other non-grain sweets. A sweetened yogurt here. A crustless cheesecake there. Beer and wine. If it is in the house, 1 or 2 per day. 'Nuf said. Rice - Just too concentrated a starch for me and too easy to overeat. I also think I am one who really needs to have animal protein at every meal. I really thought hard about doing something crazy to change the scales but have decided to just concentrate this week on 3 meals with a little protein, a little starch, a little fruit and as many veggies as I can. No sugar/alcohol/rice. If I can do that a week it should show whether any other adjustments are needed. In addition, 30 min walk or equal indoor exercise.
I see myself in what you wrote. I quit smoking 1000 years ago, but I relate to the rest. You took a huge step toward "perfect health" with quitting and I know it takes an adjustment period.
I have also been having too much chocolate. I know I shouldn't buy it at all because I cannot stop with one little square or two. Your plan looks like a good one and I hope you see progress. I also cannot eat the rice. I've been exercising 5-6 times a week for 30 minutes, so at least feel positive about that.
I am sorry- I am so exhausted from lack of sleep I don't even know if what I wrote makes sense.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
just a thought about the chocolate: I have two methods that work well. Number One, I buy the World Market 99% cacao, and really truly one square is awesome and you quickly adapt to the level of bitterness. The other thing I do is mix 1 Tbs hersheys special dark chocolate with 1 Tbs So Delicious coconut creamer and a little sweetener and stir stir stir. Like a bite or two of mousse without the damage.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote