Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
My PHD meals today~

Breakfast - 3 egg yolks, 1 oz of beef liver, kombucha

Lunch - Green smoothie w/ Coconut kefir, celery, kale, 1/2 apple, 20 blueberries, & 1/2 avocado, supergreens powder, 2 tbs lime juice.

Dinner - 1 klondike gold tater medium w/ 2 sardines and bone broth. A couple of tbsp of bubbies pickle relish.

Lots of water, green tea, & 1/2 bottle of kombucha.

Supps - 1 Triphala, 1 Turmeric, 2 brazil nuts, 1 tbs of cod liver oil, 3 tbsp of potato starch.

Total cals - 1065
58/27/14
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Dr Shaw's article suggests that if you are going to go forward with these foods you can do the following treatment:

For the treatment to be effective, the calcium citrate must be taken at the same time as the oxalate-containing food.
I think the lemon or lime juice would probably suffice here, but will definitely get this question in to Jaminet.

On the yeast testing, I agree that this should be done. Especially, if you have suffered previously. Although, don't you take the pro-biotics and drink kombucha? It certainly should help, plus eating all of the fermented foods is another great assist in this area.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
_ Sungoddess_I am really just going to follow the rule of eating things in moderation and not the same thing daily.

Bingo! One of the hardest issues about the availability of all these different "expert" opinions is that they don't agree. Also, with different bodies, one size does not fit all. In this case, it is not that smoothies are bad, but that eating the same things every day allows for build up of certain elements and the concentration of veggies in a typical smoothie is much greater than we typically eat whole.. There are many veggies suitable for smoothies that do not contain oxalates but many of us are creatures of habit, choosing the same 5-6 veggies every week at the grocery. I noticed another recommendation for another supplement accompanying the oxalate warning. I really believe strongly that we don’t have to take so many supplements if we eat variety and not too much of any one thing. We really only have to supplement what we are missing.

Just for reference:

Low-Oxalate Diet
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Oxalate is a chemical found in a variety of plants. You may need to follow a low-oxalate diet if you have kidney stones, have lost a portion of your intestinal tract to surgery, or have trouble digesting fat.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Do not eat the foods on the high-oxalate food list, below. You may eat foods on the moderate-oxalate list 3 to 5 times each week, and foods on the low-oxalate list as often as you like. In addition, be sure to drink 1 cup (8 ounces) of water or other liquid every hour during the day. If you awaken during the night, drink another cup of liquid. If you are a coffee drinker, drink only 1 cup a day, and limit your cola drinks to 1 can a day. If you take vitamin C, do not take more than 1000 milligrams (1 gram) each day.
HIGH-OXALATE FOODS
(Avoid or eat only in small amounts.)
BEVERAGES
Chocolate milk
Chocolate drink mixes
Hot cocoa
Tea
FRUITS
Berries of all kinds
Currants
Fruit cocktail
Lemon, lime, orange peels
Marmalade
Purple grapes
Rhubarb
Tangerine
Juices from these fruits
VEGETABLES
Beans: green, wax, dried
Beets and beet greens
Celery
Chives
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Escarole
Green peppers
Greens of all kinds
Kale
Leeks
Okra
Parsley
Rutabagas
Spinach
Summer squash
Swiss chard
Watercress
Tomato soup
Vegetable soup
STARCHES
Amaranth
Fruitcake
Grits
Soybean products
Sweet potatoes
Wheat germ and bran
MEATS and MEAT SUBSTITUTES
Baked beans in tomato sauce
Peanut butter
Tofu
FATS and OILS
Nuts (peanuts, almonds, pecans, cashews, and walnuts)
Nut butters, sesame seeds, tahini
OTHER
Carob
Chocolate
Cocoa
MODERATE-OXALATE FOODS (Eat 3 to 5 times each week.)
FRUITS
Apricots
Black currants
Cherries, sour
Cranberry juice
Grape juice
Orange: fruit or juice
Peaches
Pears
Pineapple
Prunes
Purple plums
Jelly or jam made with these fruits
VEGETABLES
(Serving size: 1/2 cup cooked, 1 cup raw.)
Asparagus
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Carrots
Corn
Green peas, canned
Lettuce
Lima beans
Parsnips
Tomato (1 small, or 4 ounces [1/2 cup] juice)
Turnips
MEATS and MEAT SUBSTITUTES
Sardines
STARCHES
Cornbread
Sponge cake
Spaghetti or tomato sauce
LOW-OXALATE FOODS
(Eat as often as you like.)

BEVERAGES
Buttermilk
Lemonade or limeade without added vitamin C
Milk (all types)
FRUITS
All those not listed above
Juices, jams, jellies, and preserves made with these allowed fruits
VEGETABLES
Avocado
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Onions
Peas (fresh or frozen)
Potatoes
Radishes
MEAT and MEAT SUBSTITUTES
Beef, lamb, or pork
Cheese
Eggs
Fish and shellfish
Poultry
STARCHES
Bread made without bran, wheat germ, or whole grains
Cereals
Macaroni
Noodles
Rice
Spaghetti (plain)
FATS and OILS
Bacon
Butter
Margarine
Mayonnaise
Salad dressing
Vegetable oils
OTHER
Coconut
Lemon or lime juice
Salt
Sugar or sweeteners

Last edited by cici52; 05-06-2013 at 10:20 AM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

According to Cici's chart, Jaminet has a lot of explaining to do. I will have to ask about this today. The only thing that I eat every day which according to the chart should never be eaten are blueberries, lemon juice, chocolate, walnuts & tea.

I have never had fungal issues, but I don't want to ever have them either.

Hmmm, I don't understand why sugar would be on the "whenever you want" list?

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You may need to follow a low-oxalate diet if you have kidney stones, have lost a portion of your intestinal tract to surgery, or have trouble digesting fat.
Not everyone needs to follow a low oxalate diet.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Cici. I guess I should have read more thoroughly.
The list of NEVER would preclude me, but it definitely makes me re-think about how often I eat berries, cocoa, nuts & tea. I will make sure that I don't eat the same things every day. It appears that it will be okay to eat avocado/sardines/egg yolks, potatoes, butter, & coconut more often for everyone.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Just curious: When you eat "3 egg yolks", what do you do with the whites?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used to save them for use later as protein, but then realized that they make a wonderful treat for my babies. So, I scramble them in coconut oil and add to their breakfast doggie bowl.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Thanks Lindy! See, how addictive this WOE is? I get a thrill from learning something new from PHDers!

Does this mean my life is boring? Or I have finally arrived at the Middle Age syndrome? I remember when I was 40 and listening to my mom & her sisters discussing all of these health issues.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Not everyone needs to follow a low oxalate diet.
I would like to avoid the diseases or situations that could cause me to have to follow a permanent low oxalate diet. I don't want to deal with kidney stones in the first place. It sounds horrid. I think my diet may be a bit high in oxalates as I was having spinach salad daily. I also was eating almond flour baked goods, blueberries daily, tea, chocolate, cucumber, parsley etc. I increased my greens and blueberries to help heal the pre-macular degeneration situation.

Dr Shaw on the Weston Price site said:

Virtually everybody who eats a large spinach salad every day is going to succumb to kidney stones. I’ve tested them over and over again and the people who have the highest oxalate values invariably tell me that a cornerstone of their daily diet is a large spinach salad. If they add nuts to their salad and textured soy protein, both of which are very high in oxalates, you’ve got a cocktail made to produce kidney stones. Spinach is so high I would not recommend eating it even cooked, as a main course. Lettuces, by the way, are very low in oxalates. The biggest problem vegetarians face is eating a diet high in soy protein and spinach.
Once after I gave a talk a physician came up afterwards and told me that a few months earlier he had decided to get healthy. He decided to forswear all the McDonald’s and the like. He was going to start eating healthy and eating healthy meant a very large spinach salad with lots of pecans on it every day. Within two months he had kidney stones.

I just think I will try to find a place to test my levels and as we now have all said, rotate what I eat and eat things in moderation. Seems the potential for problems is there when you make a few high oxalate foods the staples in your diet.

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-06-2013 at 12:01 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, On the cod liver oil, you are right that we do not need to supp with this. Jaminet agrees! I have been in the habit of supplementing w/ Nordic Naturals CLO because during winter time lack of Omega 3 and Vit D&A. Now that I eat sardines and get sunlight. I shouldn't need to supp with this so, I will quit. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Also, on red palm oil, I have not been supp'ing with this. How important do you think it is? I do get EVCO daily.

And I just searched Jaminet's site and he has lots to say about Oxalates, kidney stones, and candida.

Here is some of his thoughts...

Quote:
The role of Lp(a)

Lp(a) is essentially an LDL particle with an extra apo(a) molecule bound to the apoB100 molecule by a disulfide bridge.

Some insight into the immune functions of Lp(a) developed after considering the role of plasminogen. Many pathogens recruit human plasminogen and use it to penetrate tissue barriers, enabling them to invade tissue (70, 71, 72). For instance, group A streptococcus releases an enzyme called streptokinase that activates human plasminogen and promotes invasion (73). Lp(a) has anti-fibrinolytic activity and recruits plasminogen itself, reducing availability for pathogens. For instance, Lp(a) blocks streptokinase activity (75), inhibits Staphylococcus aureus activation of plasminogen.

Moreover, Lp(a) inhibits the inflammatory response to LPS. As there is great variation in Lp(a) levels among individuals (76), this may account for variability in inflammatory response to infections.
The Exception: Candida

HDL may promote fungal infections. A recent study found that infusion of reconstituted HDL enhances the growth of Candida (25).

LDL also seems to promote fungal infections. In LDL receptor knockout mice, which have high levels of LDL, there is decreased resistance to Candida (37, 38).

OxLDL also loses its normal anti-infective role against Candida. Worse, it inhibits production of antibodies against Candida albicans (63), thus actually hurting anti-fungal immunity.

Candida is an unusual pathogen that is unusually well-adapted to living in the human body. It has learned to turn an important part of human immune defense to its own advantage.

Conclusion

High serum cholesterol protects against a host of bacterial and viral infections and some parasites, but increases risk for Candida fungal infections.
He also has much more on this and H. Pylori.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I remember reading Jaminet's take on Chris Masterjohn's problem with oxalates. He started eating sweet potato fries and ended up with a stiff neck and a limp!

I can't paste it here; it comes out jumbled. It is titled "What's the Trouble with Sweet Potatoes."

Kidney stones are a side effect of the ketogenic diet as well. I read all the risks by revieiwng books on the ketogenic diet for kids with epilepsy. I also felt bad when I gave some books to a friend of mine that was interested in losing weight on low carb and she ended up in the emergency room with kidney stones. She told me not to feel bad because they were already there and just unmasked a month or so into the diet. Ugh! I'm not giving anyone my books anymore.

I remember reading Kwasniewksi's Optimal Diet - he said kidney stones are caused by a diet high in sugar. It seems they are multiple causes of kidney stones.

I can't wait for my unmodified potato starch to get here.

I'm reading the Free the Animal newsletters. It peaked my interest to read tatertot's post - apparently, Richard is on a milk diet now (he was on the potato hack). I am on his write up about week 3 - he lost 13 pounds. I would love to try a new "hack" so I am really curious about the milk/resistant starch combo.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Last night I had 2tbsp of Hi-Maize Resistant Corn Starch (as opposed to "regular" cornstarch or potato starch) before bed, and I don't remember having any dreams at all!!! I didn't wake up at all, either, until my alarm went off.

Quote:
I just want to report that I drank 3 tbs of potato starch yesterday with the last one being right before bed, mixed w/ lemon & acv.
I don't know if this applies to potato starch, but the resistant starch in raw cornstarch is destroyed by lemon juice.

You can tell because it thickens up with LJ or with hot water.
If your potato starch doesn't thicken when you mix it with LJ, then I would suppose that means the RS is intact.

[QUOTE=sungoddess;16411376]

I was listening and reading about the dessicated liver pills and there were issues brought up about the pills being defatted and what is lost along with that.

"Freed of fat..." Well, I guess fat phobia persists everywhere. Take your pills with a pat of butter, spoon of coconut oil, or natural fat of choice, I suppose. Chase it with a shot of olive oil.[/I]

I'm not convinced that this is about fat phobia so much as about perishability and protein density.

Fat would go rancid. I've had my jar of Uni-Liver for probably 3 years or more; they are still dry and the smell/taste has not altered (many pills, of any type, get moist, mushy, and stinky after a while).

If a person is using them as a protein supplement, they may want to just pay for protein and not for fat, KWIM?

I usually take them with some fat and other protein (not sure if the amino acids in liver are a "complete protein"); for example, a breakfast like scrambled eggs or a protein shake. They were good when I was doing the Leptin Reset breakfast--didn't have to stuff so much food into my belly!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Last night I had 2tbsp of Hi-Maize Resistant Corn Starch (as opposed to "regular" cornstarch or potato starch) before bed, and I don't remember having any dreams at all!!! I didn't wake up at all, either, until my alarm went off.

I don't know if this applies to potato starch, but the resistant starch in raw cornstarch is destroyed by lemon juice.

You can tell because it thickens up with LJ or with hot water.
If your potato starch doesn't thicken when you mix it with LJ, then I would suppose that means the RS is intact.
Great news about your RS and sleep! Okay, I am glad to know about ACV and potato starch. I will drink alone the rest of the time.

I had to drop in and report that I have only had 2 tbsp of pot starch and my tummy feels like I have eaten a thanksgiving dinner! I am so sated that it reminds me of when we use to do NK and how fat especially HWC can sometimes make you feel!

I worry that I will not have an appetite by dinner! Now, wouldn't that be something!

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bev, On the cod liver oil, you are right that we do not need to supp with this. Jaminet agrees! I have been in the habit of supplementing w/ Nordic Naturals CLO because during winter time lack of Omega 3 and Vit D&A. Now that I eat sardines and get sunlight. I shouldn't need to supp with this so, I will quit. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Also, on red palm oil, I have not been supp'ing with this. How important do you think it is? I do get EVCO daily.

And I just searched Jaminet's site and he has lots to say about Oxalates, kidney stones, and candida.

Here is some of his thoughts...

He also has much more on this and H. Pylori.
Thanks. I do like to read Jaminet's take on things. He seems to be a voice of reason.

On the red palm oil, I have not supplemented it either. I read it is densely packed with numerous tocotrienols – a powerful form of vitamin E. You seem to eat a lot of avocado, so maybe you get enough. Most of the things that have vit E, I am not eating or trying to cut down on a bit like sunflower seeds, swiss chard, spinach, parsely, kale, plant oils...I don't really want to add anything more to supplement at this time.

On day 4 of increased levels of resistant starch. Not noticing anything different as yet.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Great news about your RS and sleep! Okay, I am glad to know about ACV and potato starch. I will drink alone the rest of the time.

I had to drop in and report that I have only had 2 tbsp of pot starch and my tummy feels like I have eaten a thanksgiving dinner! I am so sated that it reminds me of when we use to do NK and how fat especially HWC can sometimes make you feel!

I worry that I will not have an appetite by dinner! Now, wouldn't that be something!
That's great Sunday.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, I remember that as well. It scared me from sweet potatoes for a while.

BTW, have you had a chance to read Otzi's words on RS over at ***? It seems like Tatertot has disappeared from over there? Maybe he was run off by the other anti-tater paleo peeps? I will try to find out if he is posting over at PHD because I would love to hear any more info from his research.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm about to place a vitamin order...how important do y'all think vit K2 is?
If I keep eating my greens & start taking my liver pills, I think I'll get some.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ,

If you don't like natto or fermented soy, you probably should supp. I bought the NOW brand but seems like I have since then read about Jarrow MK-7 being more preferable. It is rather cheap too.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, Bev, that puppy is the cutest thing EVER! Is that a corgi? Absolutely love that pic!!!

Bev, you are not noticing any satiety with the RS? Just wondering if my feeling is from something else?

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh, Bev, that puppy is the cutest thing EVER! Is that a corgi? Absolutely love that pic!!!

Bev, you are not noticing any satiety with the RS? Just wondering if my feeling is from something else?
PJ- I do sup with sublingual K2.

Sunday- yes that is a corgi. I have 4 friends with Corgi's. I jut think they are adorable, but I had two visit me the other day and they shed so much hair I couldn't believe it. One of the corgis was so sweet and docile and loved to cuddle. The male. The female was a barker and kind of aggressive and not really into cuddling. My other friend has a female 3 year old corgi and she is also very loving and sweet. I have not narrowed down the breed I want yet. I do not want one that barks excessively, digs out of the yard, sheds a ton, is aloof, destructive when left alone or more subject to hip dysplasia than other dogs. Been there- done that. I know a lot depends on training etc., but some breeds are known for certain traits of course. I had a samoyed collie mix and her hips were the cause of a lot of grief. My mini golden doodle died in an accident. We had a collie, like Lassie, when I was a kid. She was so incredibly smart! I don't ever see collie's around here.

I may not be noticing a change in satiety with the RS as I had been taking it already. Just not 20 grams. I ate it in my baked products and took some hi-maize in some drinks. I am gradually increasing it due to the gas it causes in me. So I am adding a bit at time. I'll let you now if I start to see it decrease my desire to eat as I get a bit higher. Hoping so. I bet your satiety is from the RS.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
KT, I remember that as well. It scared me from sweet potatoes for a while.

BTW, have you had a chance to read Otzi's words on RS over at ***? It seems like Tatertot has disappeared from over there? Maybe he was run off by the other anti-tater paleo peeps? I will try to find out if he is posting over at PHD because I would love to hear any more info from his research.
I haven't been reading *** lately. It did seem like the potato threads went dry (that is all I was reading).

I am suddenly interested in RS now that I understand it drops blood sugar.

I ate a green banana for breakfast and had a small potato for lunch. No hunger at all, but this is only one day (after a lot of eating, not just this weekend, but since Wednesday this time).

I think I will go looking for green bananas. Maybe I could just find them occasionally when convenient, chop them up, and put them in the freezer for smoothies.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today was the first time I took RS during the day, and I *think* I feel less hungry. I noticed it before I read the posts about satiety, so I don't think it's psychosomatic!

Last night I got "distracted" by this last sentence in one of Sunday's posts:
Quote:
Let me share my real-life clinical experience with another starch product, called UCAN®, which is described as a very slowly digested superstarch.
I had to track it down and find out more about it!
Anyway, I read & read about how raw cornstarch is such a good fuel, for athletes as well as people with diabetes, hypoglycemia, and Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD), that I decided to take it more often to see if it fuels me well enough to be less hungry.

As far as I can tell, the "SuperStarch" in UCAN is Glycosade, a product developed for people with GSD. I asked on their Facebook page whether it's similar to raw cornstarch or Hi-Maize, and they say it's "different". However, since I don't run marathons or have a life-threatening disease, Hi-Maize and/or Argo is probably good enough for me.

Oh, and if anybody remembers that I was wondering whether it's the RS in cornstarch or something else that helps with blood sugar, I keep coming across the word "amylose"...I just haven't figured out if RS is part of amylose or if they're separate things.

Quote:
To date, more than 70 published human clinical trials have been published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature showing that high amylose resistant corn starch increases satiety so that you can eat less food without feeling hungry, improves insulin sensitivity, shifts your metabolism to burning more fat instead of carbohydrates as energy, and promotes a healthy digestive system.
Btw, there have been many mentions on this thread about taking 40g of RS per day. I measured out 40g of cornstarch (4 tbsp) but I just found a chart showing that 9.5g cornstarch* has 4.5g RS. So 8tbsp would yield 36g RS. If I incorporate more rice, plantains, etc, maybe I won't have to take quite so much cornstarch! I have really long work days ahead of me this week, though, so I'm going to stick to familiar LC foods in order to stay alert.

*More precisely, "High amylose RS2 corn resistant starch".

PS--Actually, maybe I'll just do cornstarch at night (for the awesome sleep! ) and take potato starch during the day, so as not to over-corn myself.

PPS--I just found this, so I think the info I posted (4.5g RS per 9.5g cornstarch) actually refers to Hi-Maize-type cornstarch.
Quote:
Regular cornstarch is not high in amylose. High amylose corn resistant starch is a specialty product and is not generally available in grocery stores at this time. Hi-maize resistant starch, made by National Starch Food Innovation, is the most commonly available high amylose corn resistant starch because it has been widely investigated in published studies for its health benefits.

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-06-2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: typo, Hi-Maize info
Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Amylose is a linear polymer made up of D-glucose units. This polysaccharide is one of the two components of starch, making up approximately 20-30% of the structure. The other component is amylopectin, which makes up 70-80% of the structure.
Does anyone else get the feeling that we are decending to the level of eating paste?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, About a year ago there was a big deal made about the "Green Banana Diet", and it was a hit in Japan. I admit that I was surprised when I googled, "resistant starch benefits" and saw that it is being studied and researched at Univ of Colorado and Virginia, because of the benefits in not only colon cancer prevention, but weight loss, healing of gut, and diabetes. Very interesting.

I can't link the article, but you can go to Prevention "the health magazine" online and read the whole article...

Quote:
RESISTANT STARCH: THE NEW POWER NUTRIENT

Although this may be the first you've heard of resistant starch, it's likely been a part of your diet most of your life. Resistant starch is a type of dietary fiber naturally found in many carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes, grains, and beans, particularly when these foods are cooled. It gets its name because it "resists" digestion in the body, and though this is true of many types of fiber, what makes resistant starch so special is the powerful impact it has on weight loss and overall health. As a dieter's tool it can't be beat: Not only does it increase your body's ability to burn fat, but it also fills you up and reduces overall hunger. Its health benefits are truly impressive as well. Studies show it improves blood sugar control, boosts immunity, and may even reduce your cancer risk.

Lose extra pounds without going hungry! You'll enjoy every bite!
Resistant starch is bulky, so it takes up space in your digestive system. And because you can't digest or absorb it, the starch never enters your bloodstream. That means it bypasses the fate of most carbohydrates, which get socked away as body fat when you eat more than you can burn. Here are two more key ways resistant starch can help you drop unwanted pounds:

It ups your calorie burn! Unlike some types of fiber, resistant starch gets fermented when it reaches the large intestine. This process creates beneficial fatty acids, including one called butyrate, which may block the body's ability to burn carbohydrates. "This can prevent the liver from using carbs as fuel and, instead, stored body fat and recently consumed fat are burned," explains Janine Higgins, PhD, nutrition research director for the University of Colorado's Adult and Pediatric General Clinical Research Center. In your body, carbohydrates are the preferred source of fuel, like gasoline that powers your car's engine. Butyrate essentially prevents some of the gas from getting into the tank, and your cells turn to fat as an alternative. One study found that replacing just 5.4% of total carbohydrate intake with resistant starch created a 20 to 30% increase in fat burning after a meal.

It shuts down hunger hormones. Animal studies have found that resistant starch prompts the body to pump out more satiety-inducing hormones. A meal with resistant starch triggers a hormonal response to shut off hunger, so you eat less. Research shows that you don't reap this benefit from other sources of fiber.
I think we have all seen firsthand how while doing the tater fast, your hunger/cravings are greatly reduced after one full day of taters and then as you go it becomes even more apparent that you are sated all of the time.

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 03:27 PM..
Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that we are decending to the level of eating paste?

I used to like to eat white library paste as a kid. Maybe that is why I was slim then.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Potato starch and potato starch derivatives are used in many recipes, for example in noodles, wine gums, cocktail nuts, potato chips, hot dog sausages, bakery cream and instant soups and sauces, in gluten-free recipes[3] in kosher foods for Passover[4] and in Asian cuisine.[5] In pastry, e.g. sponge cake, it is used to keep the cake moist and give a soft texture. It is also occasionally used in the preparation of pre-packed grated cheese, to reduce sweating and binding. Helmipuuro is a porridge made from monodisperse grains of potato starch and milk.

The Moluccan community in the Netherlands use potato starch to make 'PAPEDA', soulfood of the Moluccan Archipelago (East-Indonesia). On the Moluccan islands they use sago flour to make the original 'PAPEDA'. Papeda is also eaten by the Papuan people of New-Guinea.

It is also used in technical applications as wallpaper adhesive, for textile finishing and textile sizing, in paper coating and sizing and as an adhesive in paper sacks and gummed tape.Potato starch was also used in one of the earlier color photography processes, the Lumière brothers' Autochrome Lumière, until the arrival of colour film in the mid-1930s.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That really is a hoot. And I have been worried about eating too much spinach!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I think you would not want to have more than 3 to 4 tbsp. per day.
Yes, I agree!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #180
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
This talk about resistant starch is very fascinating/interesting. I am doing the potato hack right now and am on day #2. I am waiting to have that satisfied feeling. Almost 2 full days of potatoes only and I still have to wait to not have cravings. Ugh!! I feel so broken. I have eaten just potatoes yesterday and today and could stand to eat some more potatoes. I am going to eat dinner in just a bit, but wonder if I am eating enough? I posted on the potato hack thread that Dr Oz had a segment on resistant starch the other week, but no one seemed interested. I posted for the very reason that if Dr Oz had it on his show, it may become more well known. What I remember (his show on the was many weeks ago) is that it is very good for the gut, cleans out the colon and helps with weight loss. And I do remember the lady who was talking about it with him, a doctor, was saying that she would buy green bananas and mash them up as you would mash up Idaho or russet potatoes. Didn't sound too appealing, but another way to get in the resistant starch. She said that was how they ate bananas in Jamaica, where she grew up. At least I recall she said that, it could be another island she is from. Well I am off to heat up my cooked/cooled potatoes from last night.