Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Okay, starting tomo, I have decided to do a trial of only PHD daily supps for Mon-Fri, then on Sat/Sun I will eat healthy, but free of the list. Insuring a break and free days.

I added everything in to the calculator to see my nutrition and my calories will hit around 950 -1,100 daily. I will eat in 8 hour window. 10-6. My nutritional ratio is 55/27/18. I will log my foods here daily and let everyone see what I am eating.

Each day will have at least the following nutrition...

2-3 oz of sardines
1 tbsp of evco
1 tbsp of butter
3 egg yolks
2 oz of organic/grassfed beef liver
1 cup of bone broth
1 roasted potato or cup of rice

Green smoothie made w/ 1 cup of So Delicious cultured coconut kefir, seaweed, kale, 1 scoop of Greens Superfood powder, zucchini, cilantro, blueberries, 1/2 avocado, & 1/2 apple.

I am interested to try this for 2 reasons.

1. I read about Sarah who lost 120 lbs just eating PHD, Jay Wright who lost 80 lbs, and Jennifer Fulwiler (the girl w/ the reality show) who lost all of her baby weight, all 3 eating PHD recommendations. Interestingly, I am losing weight but very slowly, so either I am still overeating. Or, I am not eating enough as my Dr. believes and stalling out??? I have lost 15 lbs since January. Would like to get the rest off.

2. I want to discover easier ways to eat PHD wise without fuss. I would love to have my blood tests run once more to see what improvements I have made. My cholesterol was on the upper end, but still in normal. My only issue was my thyroid and that has been hypo for 10 years plus, so hope to see it in the right range. Plus, I think by making an attempt to add more veggies, nutrition in daily, I may actually feel like a new person, more energetic, less stressed!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde!!! YOU are a saint!

I love to read your stories about these babies on your blog.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I knew you were raised in Costa Rica? Or Puerto Rico? Am I correct?
Actually, both!
I lived in Costa Rica from age 8 to 12, and Puerto Rico around age...umm...8th grade. Whatever age that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Good Morning All! Pirate Jenny!! Good to see you!

Jenny~ do you have bad dreams when you're eating LC? I know that carbs, particularly potatoes can cause vivid dreaming When eaten close to bedtime. It's the seratonin levels, raised up.

Thank you! Nice to see you (and all y'all) too! I've been obsessed with that Candy Crush game on Facebook , and I've been a bit lost plan-wise for at least a month, so I haven't been on LCF much lately. But it's nice to find a friendly group to chat with again!

I have bad dreams all the time, LC or no. I finally hit upon a hypothesis, and then found out it's a pretty well-observed pattern (esp among parents of diabetic children): nightmares happen when your blood sugar gets low. It's your body's way of "shocking" itself into raising your blood sugar and/or waking you up so you can eat something. Cortisol is involved in the process of releasing stored glucose, and being frightened is an effective way to stimulate the adrenal glands (when you're awake you don't need as much stimulation).
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Sunday- that sounds like a great plan!! I will be observing closely. I still think I am eating in excess of what my body burns. I hope it works!! So you are going to go with 14 oz of liver a week?

Blonde- Blog?? Where's the link to your blog! You are indeed a saint. Now I am really wanting a pup!

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-05-2013 at 01:10 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ,

I would stick with the corn starch, since you have issues with potato, because after thinking about it more, Nickolay was one that gave such good reports on his sleep w/ RS, however, I have heard so many potato hackers who said that they had a good nights sleep, with less insomnia only eating taters. A bit different than RS.

I am one who noticed a big difference in my sleep in just the time that I have been PHDing. More sound sleep, less interruptions.

I just found this article that explains RS benefits in much simpler terminology than the Wiley report.

Quote:
Resistant starch might sound like some kind of miracle cure-all, but independent studies have found this substance, more so than ordinary dietary fiber, can help: kill precancerous polyps in the colon; prevent diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and regulating blood sugar; maintain healthy body weight; reduce inflammation; prevent or treat inflammatory bowel disease; and help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.

In 2010, scientists at Virginia Polytechnic and State University reported that resistant starch might also protect against breast cancer.

So, how can a bit of indigestible starch do all this?

"Resistant starch is a very good substrate for fermentation," Higgins told LiveScience. "Instead of being digested by amylases in the upper digestive tract, it passes to the bowel, where it is fermented by bacteria into short chain fatty acids (SCFA). SCFA are acidic, so they lower bowel pH, which facilitates proliferation of good bugs and inhibits growth of pathogenic bacteria. All of this extra fermentation and availability of SCFA provides fuel or energy for the colonocytes [cells lining the colon], which are a barrier against infection."
'Resistant' Starches Heal the Colon, Prevent Cancer & Diabetes | LiveScience

Resistant starch: metabolic effects and p... [J AOAC Int. 2004 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Does Resistant Starch Help Weight Loss?

Resistant starch as a supplement or food additive has a tremendous amount of research on it showing compelling health benefits. Interestingly, resistant starch works by building gut health. So, let’s start from the very beginning so you can understand what it does in the body, and then I’ll discuss what the studies have found on weight loss.
Resistant Starch Promotes Gut Health

When starches can reach the large intestine intact they get fermented by beneficial bacteria, and that is where all the benefits of resistant starch start to kick in. RS helps promote gut microbiota[1]. It is a food source for the bacteria and therefore helps keep gut bacteria populations alive and thriving.

When starches are fermented by bacteria in the large intestine, the process produces short chain fatty acids, which are great for gut health because they are used by the cells that line your intestines as a source of fuel. Studies have found that RS dramatically increases the production of one short chain fatty acid in particular called butyrate, which is almost all used up by intestinal cells.[2] (They know this because they don’t see butyrate in blood.)

When intestinal cells have a reliable source of fuel they stay active and healthy and can carry out all the many important functions of digestion, as well as other important roles a healthy gut plays in metabolic balance, which I’ll discuss next.

So, it’s important to realize that resistant starches help keep gut flora populations thriving in the large intestine, and that in turn is very good for the health of intestinal cells and all they do.

Resistant Starch, Insulin Sensitivity and Appetite Control

Intestinal cells produce powerful gut hormones that have metabolic effects.

Studies have shown that RS increases the production of two important substances called Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and PYY.[3] GLP-1 is a super important gut hormone that improves insulin production and sensitivity. Therefore, it promotes better blood sugar levels. Adiponectin is another substance that helps insulin sensitivity, and it increases somewhat with resistant starch intake as well[4].

This is not well known, but insulin also plays role in appetite signaling. When insulin is working well, it activates the production of something called POMC, a neurotransmitter produced in cells in an area of the brain called the hypothalamus. POMC inhibits appetite, and studies have found the POMC increases in subjects given Resistant Starch.[5]

PYY (peptide YY) is a small peptide made in intestinal cells after you eat. (A healthy gut should produce plenty of it.) When subjects are given RS, PYY production increases. This substance travels in the blood and sends a signal to the brain to shut down production of something called neuropeptide Y/agouti related protein (NPY/agRP), the neurotransmitter made in the brain that drives hunger.

So all of these factors combine to not only help insulin function better and prevent insulin resistance but to help control appetite. Multiple studies have shown that RS leads to lower calorie consumption[6] [7].

Resistant Starch and Weight Loss

So RS improves gut health, insulin sensitivity, regulates appetite and lowers calorie intake. One human study even showed that meals containing 5.4% RS led to significantly improved fat oxidation after the meal compared to the diets that contained no RS[8]. With all of that one would certainly think that it would help with weight loss.

Rat studies are finding all these effects – improved gut function, improved blood sugar and lipids, as well as weight loss[9]. But so far there are no human studies showing that RS leads to weight loss in humans. It could be because most of the studies have been short term, and most made not dietary changes in the study subjects.

One study done in adults with metabolic syndrome found that taking 40 grams of resistant starch as a supplement every day for 12 weeks led to improved insulin sensitivity, and it did improve waist circumference but the subjects did not lose weight[10].

But these are studies. Let me share my real-life clinical experience with another starch product, called UCAN®, which is described as a very slowly digested superstarch.

Last edited by sunday; 05-05-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, Blonde's blog is linked in her siggie. I have always wanted to do this, but the problem is that I have periods when I can barely post here, so it makes me worry that I won't have time.

I just noticed that Jaminet only recommends 4 oz weekly. So, maybe I should only eat one oz per day? I could then have more of the sardines or possibly some tuna? What do you think of my ratios of fat/carb/protein? I am seriously going to make this work. Especially after reading about others who have lost while doing PHD, I figure taking the Sat/Sun break will allow me to have more fun foods and not have to count or concern myself with much. Plus I am sure that I will eat out on one of these days, but I am still going to try and adhere closely to PHD principles. I will log my weight at the end of week or should I do it on Sat morn? This may give us a better understanding. Wish me luck! I want to be healthy enough that I can actually work hard out side without losing my oomph!

Oh, and I forgot to add that I will be using RS (BRM) potato starch 3 x per day, mixed in water or kombucha.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Sunday- that sounds like a great plan!! I will be observing closely. I still think I am eating in excess of what my body burns. I hope it works!! So you are going to go with 14 oz of liver a week?

Blonde- Blog?? Where's the link to your blog! You are indeed a saint. Now I am really wanting a pup!
It's not a blog per se, it's a journal I started here in December 2010. It's quite boring actually, food log+weight loss/gain+observations and a few family events all rolled into one. Of course you're welcome to read it, just don't expect too much.

Yes, I really think now is a great time for you to get a puppy, or even a slightly older dog that's up for adoption. I think it would be really good for you to have a little friend to love you and for your to care for. There are different organizations like "Chihuahua rescue, Beagle Rescue, etc. I'm really not pushing, I'm just very enthusiastic!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Thanks to your reminder, I picked up and had liver for dinner. Yum!
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Okay, starting tomo, I have decided to do a trial of only PHD daily supps for Mon-Fri, then on Sat/Sun I will eat healthy, but free of the list. Insuring a break and free days.

I added everything in to the calculator to see my nutrition and my calories will hit around 950 -1,100 daily. I will eat in 8 hour window. 10-6. My nutritional ratio is 55/27/18. I will log my foods here daily and let everyone see what I am eating.

Each day will have at least the following nutrition...

2-3 oz of sardines
1 tbsp of evco
1 tbsp of butter
3 egg yolks
2 oz of organic/grassfed beef liver
1 cup of bone broth
1 roasted potato or cup of rice

Green smoothie made w/ 1 cup of So Delicious cultured coconut kefir, seaweed, kale, 1 scoop of Greens Superfood powder, zucchini, cilantro, blueberries, 1/2 avocado, & 1/2 apple.

I am interested to try this for 2 reasons.

1. I read about Sarah who lost 120 lbs just eating PHD, Jay Wright who lost 80 lbs, and Jennifer Fulwiler (the girl w/ the reality show) who lost all of her baby weight, all 3 eating PHD recommendations. Interestingly, I am losing weight but very slowly, so either I am still overeating. Or, I am not eating enough as my Dr. believes and stalling out??? I have lost 15 lbs since January. Would like to get the rest off.

2. I want to discover easier ways to eat PHD wise without fuss. I would love to have my blood tests run once more to see what improvements I have made. My cholesterol was on the upper end, but still in normal. My only issue was my thyroid and that has been hypo for 10 years plus, so hope to see it in the right range. Plus, I think by making an attempt to add more veggies, nutrition in daily, I may actually feel like a new person, more energetic, less stressed!
Ok, Sunday, I'll match you. This sounds like a great plan. I had originally thought to augment this with NK, but I realized that they don't really mix. And I would do myself a disservice if I tried to do both together. Don't have my RS yet but I can get other things now, so I'm going for it. I'm still concerned about weight so I researched Paul's site. So great!! He has a report on losing weight on PHD.

I must have 400 carb calories and 300 protein cal. daily. The rest is fat. To lose I must lower fat. And the minimum fat calories must be 500. So, that's 1200. I'll try it. It's doable. In a perfect world, I'd have everything in place, but I'll need a few days to get processed meats out of the house.

One more thing, my next door neighbor has been in a nursing home for a few mon. I am going to get her out by moving in with her for a few weeks. She is a nice old lady and the BEST thing I can do for her is feed her the PHD. Cool huh?

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 05-05-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Thanks to your reminder, I picked up and had liver for dinner. Yum!
Cici, you have my utmost admiration.
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great Lindy! I love having someone do this with me!

I was just thinking I may even throw chocolate in every day, because Jaminet does suggest chocolate daily. I will try to keep my cals down though, so will have to be careful and track very closely. RE: potato starch, it doesn't even have a taste, well, maybe a slight tater taste, but nothing overwhelming. That is why it mixes so well!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Uh-oh, just figured out that 1 tbs of BRM is 40 cals and 12 grams. I will need to allow at least 3 tbs per day which will be 120 cals. Just want to make sure that I add the 120 cals per day. So, I will be close to 1100 each day.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

What is BRM?: dunno:
Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bob's Red Mill potato starch. Don't every feel bad about asking, cause it took me for every to figure out what some acronym's meant.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Okay Ladies, are you ready for it.?

Horsemeat is catching on in England. Horsemeat, which has a sweet, gamey flavour, is cheaper and healthier than beef, containing half the fat, more Omega 3, and high in protein and iron.

Read more: Britons give horse a try as scandal piques interest

Love it.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Uh-oh, just figured out that 1 tbs of BRM is 40 cals and 12 grams. I will need to allow at least 3 tbs per day which will be 120 cals. Just want to make sure that I add the 120 cals per day. So, I will be close to 1100 each day.
Tatertot said that RS only has 2-3 cals per gram. Not 4 like a carb. A little saving.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I read when I can, post when I can (the house is on the market! the big vaycay starts in 15 days! next month I will join you in trying for the perfect PHD diet, the rest of this month I will cope as best I can)

Re: sardines. Is it alright to buy them at a fish market? That way I can cook them as I would any fish. Or are the ones sold fresh too big/old and hence picked up too many toxins in their journey through life?

Re: BRM potato starch. I am gonna get me some of that! The articles you all referenced are fascinating!

Re: liver pills. Since DH will probably have me certified if I start cooking liver (I love liver but had to stop cooking it after we married because he does, literally, throw up when he smells it cooking). So, I am spending some of my time reading liver pill reviews. Interesting.

Re: doggies. Those are all so adorable! And, from the descriptions I read, most of them are personality plus!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nancy,
On the sardines, I would look at where they came from? I know that sounds rather picky, but according to the "Super Green List" the best with the lowest contaminants come from the Pacific wild caught. I have been buying bpa free "Wild Planet- Wild Sardines in extra virgin olive oil" for $2.30 4.375 oz. I thought that was a grand deal.

Sardine list~

Sardines | Seafood Selector

All Seafood list~

Eco-friendly best choices | Seafood Selector

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am a lover of tuna also, but thought this sounds like tuna should only be eaten once per week. Is this what you decipher from the list below?...

Tuna | Seafood Selector

Mercury alert: Is canned tuna safe to eat? | Environmental Defense Fund

This concerns me because I know my mother eats a lot of tuna, for the ease if nothing else.

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just want to report that I drank 3 tbs of potato starch yesterday with the last one being right before bed, mixed in cold water w/ lemon & acv. I am down 1.2 this morning. Could this be from the starch? I ate very well! Sunday is my freebie day. I had about 1600 cals and enjoyed all of my favs, some dark chocolate, cream in coffee, variety of nuts and even some Pinot & PJ cheese.

Or it could just be the way I roll.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been searching for a good source for dessicated liver and ran across 2 that come highly recommended for purity and quality. Dr. Ron's Ultra Pure and Radiant Life are highly recommended by Weston Price, however, Dr. Ron's is 2x the price of RL! Rl is only $20 for 180 dessicated liver capsules.

Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist, has a youtube on Radiant Life.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, congrats on being down in weight. That is a great loss!! I thought you were eating the Crown Prince sardines, so I put those on my list. I am eating the Wild Planet ones.

I was listening and reading about the dessicated liver pills and there were issues brought up about the pills being defatted and what is lost along with that. Some of the pills have very little copper, which is one of the reasons we are to eat it, and some quite low in vitamin A. Free The Animal had a discussion on Uni-liver.

A 2-tablet, 60 grain serving size has 3g protein, according to the label. It also says serving size (per meal) could be 4-6 tablets. I figure 10 tablets per day is a decent overall level, which is 15g liver protein. So, by adjusting the USDA Nutrition Database to get about 15g of protein in raw liver, it comes out to 73 grams raw, or 2.5 ounces, which seems like a reasonable daily intake to me.

The other surprise for me was that the liver is grassfed, from Argentina. Here's the product information.

Uni-Liver is an exceptionally pure, natural product derived exclusively from prized grass-fed Argentinian cattle which have been raised without steroids, hormones, or pesticides. Freed of fat, water and connective tissue, Uni-Liver is quickly flash frozen to -18°C. One of the most nutritious supplements available to all bodybuilders, Uni-Liver is very high in important amino acids and rich in key vitamins and minerals, including heme iron, riboflavin, folic acid and B12. Each 30 grain tablet provides 1950mg of liver (1600mg of protein). Uni-Liver has been a classic staple of hardcore bodybuilders for over 15 years. Certified BSE-free.

"Freed of fat..." Well, I guess fat phobia persists everywhere. Take your pills with a pat of butter, spoon of coconut oil, or natural fat of choice, I suppose. Chase it with a shot of olive oil.

So, just another option for those who want the benefit of a whole food (except for the fat being removed) that happens to be the most nutritious on the planet gram for gram, but just can't take the taste.

Some of the women were concerned about iron overload. Another person really liked this brand: Beverly International’s Ultra 40. A little more expensive than Universal’s Uni-Liver, but only contains cellulose, calcium phosphate, magnesium stearate, and silicon dioxide. Same Argentinian beef liver, same huge pills in a large bottle.

Since you are so good at research, I'll let you do the legwork and you can tell me what is the best to buy!! Monkey see, monkey do.

Nancy- the big cruise is coming up!! woo hoo!!

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-06-2013 at 08:05 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am a lover of tuna also, but thought this sounds like tuna should only be eaten once per week. Is this what you decipher from the list below?...

Tuna | Seafood Selector

Mercury alert: Is canned tuna safe to eat? | Environmental Defense Fund

This concerns me because I know my mother eats a lot of tuna, for the ease if nothing else.
I think there is something to this, sadly. I was eating lots of white tuna for lunches when I worked, and my nutrition guru said to cut way back on that. He told me to replace with the salmon and sardines. Well I wasn't "doing" sardines at the time.

Maybe you can get your mom to cut back and replace with canned pink salmon and sardines.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my, Bev, I am so confused on which liver supp??? I usually go by how I feel. In other words, I will go ahead and purchase the Radiant Life, BUT, I will only take this when I am out of the grass fed beef liver. Also, I am thinking women may should only take liver supp every other day? Wouldn't that make sense? If I take cod liver oil, can I forget liver? I will ask this on the PHD site and see if Jaminet responds.

On a side note, I had 3 egg yolks plus one ounce of liver which I drowned in Samba Olek & a splash of "Slap Yo Mama" sauce. I think that this is the way to take it for those of us who may be squirmish of the taste.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh my, Bev, I am so confused on which liver supp??? I usually go by how I feel. In other words, I will go ahead and purchase the Radiant Life, BUT, I will only take this when I am out of the grass fed beef liver. Also, I am thinking women may should only take liver supp every other day? Wouldn't that make sense? If I take cod liver oil, can I forget liver? I will ask this on the PHD site and see if Jaminet responds.

On a side note, I had 3 egg yolks plus one ounce of liver which I drowned in Samba Olek & a splash of "Slap Yo Mama" sauce. I think that this is the way to take it for those of us who may be squirmish of the taste.
I saw this question last night and Paul said said no.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Lindy! See, how addictive this WOE is? I get a thrill from learning something new from PHDers!

Does this mean my life is boring? Or I have finally arrived at the Middle Age syndrome? I remember when I was 40 and listening to my mom & her sisters discussing all of these health issues.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday- I was looking up the lady you referenced above. Sally the Healthy Home Economist. I came across an article by her called
How Green Smoothies Can Devastate Your Health. Now I am back to being concerned again. I started steaming my greens and making the greens ice cubes to reduce the goitrogen issue, but she raises issues of concern.

The vegetables used in green smoothies are almost without exception high oxalate foods. Over time, a high oxalate diet can contribute to some very serious health problems particularly if you are one of the 20% of people (1 in 5) that have a genetic tendency to produce oxalates or if you suffer from candida or other fungal challenge. In those cases, a high oxalate diet can deal a devastating blow to health.

She referenced an article --The Role of Oxalates in Autism and Chronic Disorders -- Written by William Shaw, PhD

One of the last things I need is kidney stones or a stone in my brain.
I am really just going to follow the rule of eating things in moderation and not the same thing daily. I tend to do that. I think most of us think of a green smoothie as a really healthy thing, but there are lots of things we consider healthy that may not be on a regular basis.

Dr Shaw's article suggests that if you are going to go forward with these foods you can do the following treatment:

The most effective way to get rid of oxalates is the use of calcium citrate. This supplement exerts a double potency action in eliminating oxalate. The calcium part of calcium citrate binds to the oxalate and causes it to precipitate out in the stool so it will not be absorbed. But part of the oxalate escapes. The citrate is a second line of defense, which competes directly with the oxalate for absorption.

For the treatment to be effective, the calcium citrate must be taken at the same time as the oxalate-containing food.

The optimum dosage is approximately 300-350 mg calcium as calcium citrate for a total of 1000 mg (one gram) of calcium a day. If you’re taking this you don’t need additional sources of calcium.

See the rest of his article for more info.
There are a number of medical tests for oxalate status that we use at Great Plains Laboratory. We have a urine panel to measure oxalates and we can also test for yeast markers. We typically find that where the yeast marker is very high, the oxalate marker is also very high. We also test for vitamin B6.

I really think I should fork out some money for some baseline blood tests. I didn't know there was a yeast marker you could test for, etc. etc.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Bev! I do remember reading her article, but ...and I will have to go back and find where Jaminet speaks of this, the reason that he recommends that we add ACV or lemon juice to all of our drinks or meals, is for this reason? Am I wrong?

I will ask about this, because Jaminet suggests that we get 1 lb of plant foods daily. I guess we could go with tomato, peppers, celery, and avocado instead of greens?

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree about moderation. I just want to do a trial of eating his recommended supps for a couple of weeks to see if I feel a benefit! I will definitely try to vary types of taters and have rice as well. Maybe instead of smoothie, just have fermented veggies, kimchi?

Oh, and the Crown Prince is a good sardine, (I do eat it) but I found the Wild Planet was on sale this week at NG! I think Crown Prince is Pacific caught, right?

Last edited by sunday; 05-06-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you Bev! I do remember reading her article, but ...and I will have to go back and find where Jaminet speaks of this, but the reason that we add ACV or lemon juice to all of our drinks or meals, is for this reason? Am I wrong?

I will ask about this, because Jaminet suggests that we get 1 lb of plant foods daily. I guess we could go with tomato, peppers, celery, and avocado instead of greens?
I thought adding the ACV with the meal was because we need acid to digest properly. The older we get, the less stomach acid we have. I was taking Betaine HCL for this and then I was taking Swedish Bitters and now I do the lemon and water with a meal thing.

I maybe should stop reading stuff for awhile. I tend to get overwhelmed. I thought Paul said to not take the cod liver oil with A in it if eating the liver, but sometimes I am reading some of his older stuff before the latest book was written. Plus I think it all just gets jumbled in my head.