Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
PJ, Ouiz said that she takes liver supps.

I was thinking about ordering some a while back that's advertised on WAP called Dr. Ron's Ultra-Pure Organ Delight from grass fed New Zealand beef. It seems to be good, no additives and freeze dried. Although pricey! I am able to purchase beef liver very cheap ($4) at Natural Grocer, but admit that I still find it difficult to eat. I will need to make some of Kristin's pate, in order to love it.

Your "raise the dead" soup looks very good!

Last edited by sunday; 05-04-2013 at 02:59 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, thanks for the gas warning! We want to be healthy, rather than deadly.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
PJ, Ouiz said that she takes liver supps.

Your "raise the dead" soup looks very good!
Thank you!
It's all ingredients that are legal/encouraged on the PHD!

--Very gelatinous bone broth, with added gelatin
--Beef (but you can use any meat or even fish)
--Plantains, sweet potatoes, and potatoes
--Tomatoes (Ro-Tel for a little spiciness!)
--A little turmeric for color, lots of cumin & garlic

The same roommate also introduced me to oxtail soup.
Now that is a really good source of cartilage & gelatin!
It's ridiculously expensive at my local grocery store (I guess because it's "trendy"?), but I'm going to try to pick some up next time I go to an Asian or Latin market. Also some chicken feet.

I keep jumping from one WOE to another but I'm thinking about giving this a try--once I figure out if/how I have to tweak for diabetes. Being able to eat rice, sweet potatoes, & plantains would be very nice.

Hey, I just remembered out that tapioca is yucca!!!
Yay! I *love* yucca!!!

And I think I've seen taro at the Indian market.
It comes in purple, right?

PS--the supps I have are Universal Nutrition Uni-Liver.

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-04-2013 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Having a tough time with the liver concept...

Which is silly because I do like pate.
But...liver?!?!?! I know what it does, what its job is, what it looks like healthy, what it looks like in many different stages of unhealthy...I just don't know if I can bring myself to ingest liver of any form (except, funny enough, the previously mentioned pate). Pate has a lot of fat in it (at least it should, in theory) so I'm guessing its not the best source of a daily dose of liver.
How bad of a disservice am I doing myself by skipping this? I can even get my own custom "grass fed" from our butcher, and could eat my own steer livers too but...
We just planted our basil starts today outside. I'm excited for them - I'm definitely going to freeze them this year (how much oil/basil?) as last year none of my basil was left when the tomatoes were in full force.
Thanks all.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Which is silly because I do like pate.
But...liver?!?!?! I know what it does, what its job is, what it looks like healthy, what it looks like in many different stages of unhealthy...I just don't know if I can bring myself to ingest liver of any form (except, funny enough, the previously mentioned pate). Pate has a lot of fat in it (at least it should, in theory) so I'm guessing its not the best source of a daily dose of liver.
How bad of a disservice am I doing myself by skipping this? I can even get my own custom "grass fed" from our butcher, and could eat my own steer livers too but...
We just planted our basil starts today outside. I'm excited for them - I'm definitely going to freeze them this year (how much oil/basil?) as last year none of my basil was left when the tomatoes were in full force.

Thanks all.
I have despised liver my whole life. I was force fed it as a child. I thought I would never eat it again! But the more I read about it, the more I thought eating it in its whole form was extremely beneficial . Trying to avoid pork liver products, I was having a hard time finding grass fed beef or lamb liver. I am going to order it online. I bought some duck liver pâté and enjoyed it! So I figured I could make lamb liver pâté and it would taste good too. With brandy as one of the ingredients!

This is how I do my basil---

Using a pair of kitchen shears, we remove the stems with leaves from the plant. (Only remove the stems if it's the end of the growing season. If you're doing this mid-growing season, just take the top six or so inches off the plant, leaving some stems with leaves.) Remove the leaves from the stems, and discard the stems. Wash and dry the leaves.
Fill the basin of a food processor with the herb leaves. Pulse until the leaves are finely chopped. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the leaves. Continue pulsing. (If needed, add more oil until the basil is well coated.) Using a spoon, fill ice cube trays with the oil and basil mixture. Freeze overnight. Remove the herb blocks from the ice cube trays and transfer them to a resealable plastic bag.

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-04-2013 at 06:08 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
A few years ago I came across some stories of people eating frozen raw liver. (Pretty sure it was from Sally Fallon or Weston Price or something like that.) Apparently if you freeze raw meat for a certain period of time (I wanna say 2 weeks but am not entirely sure), it is safe to eat raw.

These people cut it into pill-size bits and swallow it.
Many experience extreme health & energy benefits from it--perhaps it's even more beneficial raw than cooked? But at least you can't really taste it if it's frozen and swallowed without chewing.

I'll plug liver pills again because they're convenient and flavorless. It seems, from the calorie/protein content, that just 4 are equivalent to 1oz raw liver. I've never taken them consistently enough to be sure they affect my energy or health, but I'll try to be better about it this week and report back!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Sungoddess...I just noticed 2 things!
1) I thought that was a teddy bear in your avatar but it's a real animal, isn't it?! OMG so perfectly cute!!!!
2) Where'd you hear/read that proverb? A former roommate from Peru introduced me to "sopa levanta muerto"--"Raise the Dead Soup"!
I made it for Easter this year!
(Accidentally...didn't realize how appropriate it was until a couple days later!)
She is a REAL pup. A mini golden doodle. She looks exactly like the one I had. Sadly, she died. I would love to get another one at some point, but they are very expensive running over $2000. Absolutely adorable!! Mine used to roll on her back just like that. I think I am needing a puppy.!

My mom used to say the quote to us kids when we were growing up. She always had a pot of broth on the stove. I can even hear her saying it- Good broth resurrects the dead.

I also noticed how expensive oxtail was at the store the other day! Wow. Your soup looks good.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
A few years ago I came across some stories of people eating frozen raw liver. (Pretty sure it was from Sally Fallon or Weston Price or something like that.) Apparently if you freeze raw meat for a certain period of time (I wanna say 2 weeks but am not entirely sure), it is safe to eat raw.

These people cut it into pill-size bits and swallow it.
Many experience extreme health & energy benefits from it--perhaps it's even more beneficial raw than cooked? But at least you can't really taste it if it's frozen and swallowed without chewing.

I'll plug liver pills again because they're convenient and flavorless. It seems, from the calorie/protein content, that just 4 are equivalent to 1oz raw liver. I've never taken them consistently enough to be sure they affect my energy or health, but I'll try to be better about it this week and report back!
I saw the thing about eating small bits of frozen liver on Jaminet's site. I think Sunday has done that as well, right Sunday? So that would be at least 16 liver pills a week.... They are pretty expensive! Liver itself seems pretty inexpensive. I think I will try first to enjoy the liver as pate and maybe use the pills as a back-up for when I don't get the homemade.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Thank you for the basil instructions. I appreciate the detail. I'm a little, um, handicapped, in the kitchen which is part of why I'm not 100% sure I should start canning things. I don't want to explode anything or kill my family with food poisoning which is a real possibility with me.
I'll look into some liver pills, I'm not huge on supplements because I always forget to take them. I have so many 1/2 used bottles sitting around.
I kinda like the frozen/swallow idea. In theory, the organ should be sterile. A truly grass fed animal should not have any liver abscesses but if you had access to the whole organ, cut it and inspected it you'd see any discolored spots that could indicate infection. Usually its only the feedlot cattle, force fed the grains for fast gain, that have liver abscesses. The grains change the pH of the rumen (acidic) which reduces the integrity of the gut wall and bacteria leak into the blood stream. Since all blood from the GI tract goes first to the liver to be filtered, any bacteria in the blood from the gut end up setting up shop (potentially) in the liver. Hence why feedlot cattle often have liver abscesses. And y'all wonder why I struggle with eating liver... But, again, following that logic, a grass fed animal who isn't pushed to gain should have no problems since there would be no reason for the pH of their rumen to be unbalanced. Same with grassfed lamb liver. Anyway, my point, is that the liver of a healthy animal should be sterile which would make swallowing it raw less of a risk. Provided, of course, that the animal was processed by a competent butcher.

I love Golden Doodles! I've never seen a mini one before! How adorable! I won't pay for one though, I like my Goldens too much. If I'm gonna pay that much for a dog I want it to be a Golden. I'm addicted.

Potato day here, mashed with my bone broth. Yummy!!!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So that would be at least 16 liver pills a week.... They are pretty expensive!
I just found a 500 pill bottle for $23...at 16/week that would last 31 weeks and cost 75 cents per week.

I have noticed that chicken livers are very cheap, but I am seriously nervous about cooking liver--I was a vegetarian til I was about 22 and am still not particularly good at cooking meat, unless I throw it in a crock pot!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, friends, I am back to eating liver again. Very small amounts daily, I picked up my grassfed liver today from Natural Grocer for $3.19 and it is enough to last me two weeks. You can't beat that! It said that it is anti-biotic free, grassfed from Crystal River Farms in Carbondale, CO. I will consume liver plus sardines plus 3 yolks daily. Add to this my taters, fermented veggies, greens, bone broth, RS & avocado and I am done.

What convinced me? I listened to the radio blog that Jaminet gave us a few posts back and the interviewer asked him "what superfood would he take if he were to be stranded on an island?" Essentially, which food is the most important to us on a daily basis and Paul said, "simply liver". If you have a chance to listen he explains it pretty well.

Also, Chris Kresser, has a very convincing article titled, "Liver, Nature's Most Potent Superfood".

Quote:
Conventional dietary wisdom holds that the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and trace elements) we need from foods are most highly concentrated in fruits and vegetables. While it’s true that fresh fruits and veggies are full of vitamins and minerals, their micronutrient content pales in comparison to what is found in meats and organ meats – especially liver.

The chart below lists the micronutrient content of apples, carrots, red meat and beef liver. Note that every nutrient in red meat except for vitamin C surpasses those in apples and carrots, and every nutrient—including vitamin C—in beef liver occurs in exceedingly higher levels in beef liver compared to apple and carrots. In general, organ meats are between 10 and 100 times higher in nutrients than corresponding muscle meats.
Quote:
Many athletes today consume liver for its fatigue-fighting properties. This ability was shown in experiments conducted by Dr. Ershoff in 1951, when he fed rats either a basic diet, a basic diet with additional B vitamins, or a basic diet with powdered liver. The rats were then tested to see how long they could swim in a tub. The first two groups of rats swam for about 13 minutes before becoming exhausted. 75 percent of the rats that consumed powdered liver were able to swim for the full duration of the study, which was 90 minutes, before being pulled out of the tub even though they were able to continue swimming.

Liver is also incredibly nutrient dense. 380 mg of potassium, 18 mg of magnesium, 11 mg of calcium, 12 mg of copper, and 16.5 mg of niacin can be found in 100 grams of beef liver. Additionally, 100 grams of beef liver contains 53,400 IU of vitamin A and 111.3 mcg of vitamin B12. 100 grams of beef liver also contains 27 mg of vitamin C, which is about four times the amount that can be found in a small apple. In fact, when compared on a weight to weight basis, beef liver contains higher levels of every nutrient than apples and carrots. Apples and carrots are less calorie dense than liver, and are often eaten in higher quantities, but the weight by weight comparison illustrates truly how full of vitamins and minerals liver is.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-04-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just found a 500 pill bottle for $23...at 16/week that would last 31 weeks and cost 75 cents per week.

I have noticed that chicken livers are very cheap, but I am seriously nervous about cooking liver--I was a vegetarian til I was about 22 and am still not particularly good at cooking meat, unless I throw it in a crock pot!
Hey PJ, I would definitely take those pills if I didn't like the smell of liver, because it is very pungent while cooking.
I take mine and place it in a fry pan with a bit of CO. I then put a lid on it and broil for about 15 minutes and then turn before broiling a bit longer. I would rather make pate with it, but will probably just take it the same as the cod liver oil. Hold my nose, chew and swallow.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I saw the thing about eating small bits of frozen liver on Jaminet's site. I think Sunday has done that as well, right Sunday? So that would be at least 16 liver pills a week.... They are pretty expensive! Liver itself seems pretty inexpensive. I think I will try first to enjoy the liver as pate and maybe use the pills as a back-up for when I don't get the homemade.
Yes, I did this too, but I actually cooked the liver, then froze it already sliced in pill size portions. I am a wimp.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Ok, Sunday, you said:

Okay, friends, I am back to eating liver again. Very small amounts daily, I picked up my grassfed liver today from Natural Grocer for $3.19 and it is enough to last me two weeks. You can't beat that! It said that it is anti-biotic free, grassfed from Crystal River Farms in Carbondale, CO. I will consume liver plus sardines plus 3 yolks daily. Add to this my taters, fermented veggies, greens, bone broth, RS & avocado and I am done.

I'm close on this, I like sardines, bone broth, chicken livers, avocado and have ordered RS. I feel like I'm sitting on a powerhouse of nutrition here. Eating liver several times a week will help so much. I don't know much about fermented veggies. Other than onions, cucumbers in vinegar, water bath. Is it something I need to accomplish. I am still doing NK and can't have potatoes but the potential health benefits are outstanding. This is very exciting.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wonderful Lindy! You are doing great!

You can see all kinds of variations on how to make fermented kraut, kimchi, and other stuff like pickles, relish, etc. I even found an excellent salsa that is fermented.

If you are interested in 'how to' on lots of this PHD stuff, go to Perfect Health website and scroll down the right hand side, he has a list of bloggers who create recipes which are PHD friendly. I am glad that you are enjoying NK.

The sardines have an amazing amount of nutrients as well. Plus Jaminet recommends the egg yolks on a daily basis. have fun!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How do you eat the sardines?
They're just one of those things (along with herring, which I love) that I have to eat on toast or crackers!!! I've been trying to make myself eat them plain for 2-1/2 years but I just don't know how!

(Same with avocados...I do not like the texture; it makes me gag. So I have to mash them up and eat them with something crunchy; tortilla chips preferably but I can handle guacamole on a salad or in lettuce wraps. )
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
PJ, I used to feel the same about avocados untl recently tried using like butter mashed into taters or ceggies. Also, if I need something crackerlike, I do microwace chips from potato or sweet potato.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, btw....last night I tried potato starch instead of cornstarch and had a very LONG bad dream, and woke up with my heart pounding, totally stressed out & angry & sad; that hasn't happened for quite a while, even on nights when I forgot to take my cornstarch!

So, if the common ground between cornstarch & potato starch is resistant starch, cornstarch might have properties/benefits aside from that.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ,
I don't have a special method yet with sardines. I have only eaten them one by one up to now. Bev, gave us a recipe of sardines in a baked tater. YUM! I have seen a Caesar salad topped with sardines. I will experiment and let you all know. I thought about mixing a couple of sardines into my albacore tuna 3 yolk egg salad. You should eat them however helps ensure that you get the wonderful Omega3's.

According to the Seafood Watch List, Pacific wild caught sardines top the "Super Green List". The Super Green list highlights products that are currently on the Seafood Watch "Best Choices" (green) list, are low in environmental contaminants and are good sources of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids. The Super Green list includes seafood that meets the following three criteria:

Low levels of contaminants (below 216 parts per billion [ppb] mercury and 11 ppb PCBs). The daily minimum of omega-3s (at least 250 milligrams per day [mg/d])*. Classified as a Seafood Watch "Best Choice" (green)

*The "Super Green" list is based on dietary requirements for an average woman of childbearing age (18- 45, 154 pounds) eating 8 ounces of fish per week. The list also applies to men and children; children should eat age-appropriate portions to maximize their health benefits while minimizing risk. The recommendation of 250 mg of omega-3s refers to the combined level of two omega-3s of primary importance to human health: eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA).

On the 1st page, 3rd post we post PHD's supplemental requirements. I have only been eating the supplemental foods sporadically, so I thought after listening to his talk, that I may try a month of eating these supps daily and see if I even have desire or need for any other foods? I have a feeling this will suffice. Actually, it doesn't matter because this will ensure that I am getting my nutrients, anything else is just a pleasure. Oh, and avocado is not a "must" have supp, I just eat them for the healthy fat. If you don't like guacomole, I take a half avocado and throw it into my green smoothie. You honestly can't even taste it mixed in.

Quote:
We recommend eating these “supplemental foods” on a regular schedule:

3 egg yolks daily, 5 yolks daily for women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant (for choline, folate, vitamin A)
A bowl of bone and joint broth soup, 3 days per week (for calcium, phosphorus, and collagen)
Vegetables such as tomato, avocado, potato, sweet potato, banana, green leafy vegetables, and seaweeds such as dulse, daily (for potassium)
Dark chocolate (>70%), as desired
Ľ lb beef or lamb liver, weekly (copper, vitamin A, folate, choline)
fish, shellfish, eggs, and kidneys, weekly (for selenium)
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon red palm oil, weekly (vitamin E)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ,
On the dreams, that is very different than what the others reported, but makes me wonder if it is the RS or potato specifically? I agree that cornstarch sounds like an optional source, but don't know how to measure it and the amount of RS?

Last edited by sunday; 05-05-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
How do you eat the sardines?
They're just one of those things (along with herring, which I love) that I have to eat on toast or crackers!!! I've been trying to make myself eat them plain for 2-1/2 years but I just don't know how!

(Same with avocados...I do not like the texture; it makes me gag. So I have to mash them up and eat them with something crunchy; tortilla chips preferably but I can handle guacamole on a salad or in lettuce wraps. )
The beauty of PHD is you can eat them on crackers or toast if you want too. On PHD you can have rice crackers or gluten free toast or bagels. I have been making veggie chips with beets, taro root and potatoes and the sardine pate is good on them. I really like it on potato chips! The sardine bake I posted is good. But I have found you can mash them up into a pate-like consistency and eat them on a variety of things. I have just simply been enjoying them in my big greens salad. I hardly taste them buried in with all the other goodies. I am going to experiment making them into something like a salmon or crab cake next.

I absolutely LOVE avocado. Avocado shakes are wonderful to me and like Sunday said, as part of a smoothie, they just add a creaminess. You can even make a chocolate pudding with it. (tons of recipes via Google). For me, it is an easy way to get in benefits of its cholesterol and blood-pressure-lowering qualities, high amounts of antioxidants, and nutrients like potassium and B6.

Do any of you take the red palm oil?

BTW, Coconut Mama, on her blog talks about how important the quality of the liver is that you eat, as we know. If you want to be sure of your source, you can make your own liver pills. She said-
My husband and I decided we would try to capsule it. It was very simple, I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing it sooner. I dehydrated the liver at 105 degrees for 48 hours. I dehydrated it at a low temperature to preserve the enzymes and nutrients. Once the liver was dried, I placed it in my food processor and processed it until it was a powder. I wasn’t able to achieve a fine powder, but more of a coarse powder.

I then scooped the powdered liver into capsules (you can find empty capsules at most health food stores).

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-05-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
PJ,
On the dreams, that is very different than what the others reported, but makes me wonder if it is the RS or potato specifically? I agree that cornstarch sounds like an optional source, but don't know how to measure it and the amount of RS?
Have other people been discussing their dreams? Can you tell me where--I'd be interested in checking it out.

I think there may be something unique to cornstarch that has nothing to do with resistant starch, because there are a few brands of diabetic products are made with raw cornstarch, and many discussions on diabetic forums regarding cornstarch before bed. If it was interchangeable with potato starch, somebody before me might have figured it out.

Quote:
Oh, and avocado is not a "must" have supp, I just eat them for the healthy fat. If you don't like guacamole...
I don't know if you were addressing this to me or everyone in general, but I do love avocados, I just hate the texture! Gotta mash 'em!!! This used to drive my parents crazy, because "you'll mash it when you chew it", but it doesn't work that way for me!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I was addressing you on avocados. Which I was confused, because I knew you were raised in Costa Rica? Or Puerto Rico? Am I correct? Mash the beautiful fruit up! And yes, I didn't even know avo was a fruit, but omg, I love it in my smoothie.

Just a little info on avocado health benefits~

Quote:
On a weight basis, avocados have 35% more potassium (485 mg) than bananas (358 mg). They are rich in folic acid and vitamin K, and are good dietary sources of vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E and pantothenic acid.
Avocados have a high fiber content of 75% insoluble and 25% soluble fiber.

High avocado intake was shown in one preliminary study to lower blood cholesterol levels. Specifically, after a seven-day diet rich in avocados, mild hypercholesterolemia patients showed a 17% decrease in total serum cholesterol levels. These subjects also showed a 22% decrease in both LDL (harmful cholesterol) and triglyceride levels and 11% increase in HDL (helpful cholesterol) levels. A 2013 epidemiological report showed that American avocado consumers had better overall diet quality, nutrient levels, and reduced risk of metabolic syndrome.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Good Morning All! Pirate Jenny!! Good to see you!

I can't begin to comment on everything, I was a whole page and a 1/2 behind. Great discussion on so many things.

On the crunchy food factor: to go with the avocado or other foods that need to go down with a little help..."Clean Eating" magazine had a great idea for jicama! Instead of cutting it into sticks, they sliced it across the jicama to make 'chips'! Then they squeezed lime and dusted it with chili powder. What a great 'cracker' idea. Yes?

One of these days I'm going to go over to the local Dennys and have the liver and onion dinner. Just sayin'...

Jenny~ do you have bad dreams when you're eating LC? I know that carbs, particularly potatoes can cause vivid dreaming When eaten close to bedtime. It's the seratonin levels, raised up.

The only other comment I want to make at the moment is to Bev~

Yes, Bev, you do need a puppie! I highly recommend it.
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a post for people lurking or considering PHD-
I just re-listened to a Podcast from Paul and it reminded me of top considerations. I doubt any of us can do this way of life perfectly, but when he was asked, Paul said the 3 top considerations are:

1. Rid yourself of toxins. Grains (not white rice), legumes, vegetable seed oils, and the bad sugars.

2. Live a healthy lifestyle and consider circadian rhythms. Exercise a bit every day. It doesn't need to be to the point of exhaustion. Get some bright light every day. Have some social engagement daily. Get a good night of sleep.

3. Minimize your omega 6 fats. Get some good saturated fats in your diet.

I have learned that you can do these things in small steps. It doesn't have to be a huge overnight change. Working on a few things at a time goes a long way.

I have adopted a large part of this way of life, but I still have things to work on.

Right now I am working on not eating excessive amounts of meat. I was used to eating large amounts of meat when doing anLC lifestyle. That can be a tendency for me, and as Jaminet said-- excess protein is available to gut bacteria for fermentation and that produces a number of toxic byproducts. Do eat PHD levels of meat – one-half to one pound per day. This level of meat consumption will provide healthful and nourishing amounts of protein, choline, and carnitine, and will not cause any harm if accompanied by PHD levels of healthy plant foods.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Good Morning All! Pirate Jenny!! Good to see you!

I can't begin to comment on everything, I was a whole page and a 1/2 behind. Great discussion on so many things.

On the crunchy food factor: to go with the avocado or other foods that need to go down with a little help..."Clean Eating" magazine had a great idea for jicama! Instead of cutting it into sticks, they sliced it across the jicama to make 'chips'! Then they squeezed lime and dusted it with chili powder. What a great 'cracker' idea. Yes?

One of these days I'm going to go over to the local Dennys and have the liver and onion dinner. Just sayin'...

Jenny~ do you have bad dreams when you're eating LC? I know that carbs, particularly potatoes can cause vivid dreaming When eaten close to bedtime. It's the seratonin levels, raised up.

The only other comment I want to make at the moment is to Bev~

Yes, Bev, you do need a puppie! I highly recommend it.

Hi Blonde. Glad you checked in. What kind of dogs do you have? I want one that isn't a big shedder, so that is why I liked the golden doodle.

I have this big concern about not eating grass fed liver, so I am too askeered to eat prepared liver at a restaurant, but my mom and her 84 year old boyfriend love to go to Denny's every week for the liver and onions!!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a chocolate lab & a boxer that are now 7 & 8. I can't tell you how much joy they add to life! Yes, Bev, a golden doodle will not shed. My lab sheds although not too much. I brush the two outside about eod, just to keep the shedding to a minimum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100410_49.jpg (27.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have a chocolate lab & a boxer that are now 7 & 8. I can't tell you how much joy they add to life! Yes, Bev, a golden doodle will not shed. My lab sheds although not too much. I brush the two outside about eod, just to keep the shedding to a minimum.
Oh I am in love with your doggies!! How cute are they!! I was looking at corgi's as a few of my friends have them and they are so adorable! but boy they sure shed all over the house.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Oh I am in love with your doggies!! How cute are they!! I was looking at corgi's as a few of my friends have them and they are so adorable! but boy they sure shed all over the house.
Oh, yes, lots of my friends have Corgis too. One pup that I am in love with and possibly may add to our fam some day is a Frenchie. I have a friend with a frenchie named "Angus" who is hilarious. Talk about a personality.
Although, I love my babies they really are too large for indoor babies. We don't have the heart to make them outdoor and they play outside quite a bit in the Spring & Fall.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Bev, in general curly haired dogs don't shed. Poodles, spaniels, and cross mixes of the same. You can put in a request at the local shelter for a specific mix. Chihuahuas are wonderful and while they do shed they are small and have short hair...so not so much. I think it would be wonderful for you.

My dogs are mixes and BIG. I have a sharpei/retriever mix that I've had since she was a puppy. She's now almost ten. I'm fostering two dogs that have lived with me for almost two years. One is a queensland healer/rottie mix (7) and the other is a husky/wolf hybrid (wolf and something else), so one third wolf. She is 12 and sweet. They belong to my eldest who had to move into a condo. I love dogs but would never have purposely picked such shedders. DH says when they "go to their great reward" it will be small non-shedding dogs from now on or no dogs allowed. On a fun note, I have a 2-3lb chihuahua who comes to me for daycare during the week. She is the boss of the big dogs. LOL. I also occasionally have my youngest DD's two dogs (spaniel/beagle mix and another chihuahua/terrier mix) a few days a week. She recently bought a house with a huge yard so not so much dog sitting. Yes, I am a saint.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote