Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Anti-biotics feed the candida yeast. I hope you meant "probiotics" when you posted above about what you used to combat the problem. Probiotics are very good when battling yeast. Anti-biotics make it grow and it worsens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Actually I was put on an extremely expensive dosage of antibiotics for about a week. Not once but twice. Go figure. I was put on this because my white blood cells were low. and they wanted to knock out any infection. I don't think candida was actually mentioned.
Often drs prescribe antibiotics for yeast infections. "Go figure" is right. That's usually what they do, though, as far as I know. (I work in the medical field.) It is pretty much a cycle, rarely goes away forever.
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I had a good PHD day today and that makes me feel successful!!

I made my smoothie with coconut milk, my glorious greens cubes, cocoa, and resistant potato starch. I think sometimes I write things off as not working for me, when in reality I wasn't taking the right amount. I have been using the resistant starch for quite awhile now, but I don't think I was getting above 20 grams in. Maybe that is the secret. In the statement per Tatertot, most recommendations are for the ingestion of 20-40g/day for maximum benefit, and there seems to be an upper limit of about 60g where it stops being effective, and a lower limit of about 20g where it has little effect. I am wondering if being sure to get in a minimum of 20 g will help. Giving it the old college try...

Even though it felt like 100 degrees today, I made hot borscht. Oh....... so yummy! I used my beef broth and it had potatoes, beets, butter, onions, celery, carrot, tomato, red cabbage, and cider vinegar in it. Simply a wonderful way of eating!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
OMG, Bev, I am in love with your pup!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Eating PHD has the same effect on me.
I never feel guilty about the foods I eat now and I never suffer with the feeling that I use to have when I would eat junk. Or worry about how I was going to correct my poor habits. So happy to hear this Bev!

Lest, we feel discouraged about our losses, I thought I would add a chart to show us how much we have really lost and how far we have come.

5 lbs = a chihuahua
10 lbs = chemical additives an American consumes each year
15 lbs = 10 dozen LG eggs
20 lbs = an auto tire or a lg sack of taters
30 lbs = the avg cheese an American eats per year
50 lbs = small bale of hay or 200 sticks of butter
100 lbs = a 2 month old horse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lost.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Thanks Sunday, I have a lot reading to do....
You are welcome! I think Paul's talk is great if you are short on time, but I wanted to quote the most important part of the scientific research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
DITTO!
For so little effort and minute calories Potato starch packs a whollup in health benefits...

Quote:
Potential physiological effects Conditions where there may be a protective effect

Improve glycaemic and insulinaemic responses ---Diabetes, impaired glucose and insulin responses, the metabolic syndrome

Improved bowel health ---Colorectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, constipation

Improved blood lipid profile --Cardiovascular disease, lipid metabolism, the metabolic syndrome

Prebiotic and culture protagonist --Colonic health

Increased satiety and reduced energy intake -Obesity

Increased micronutrient absorption --Enhanced mineral absorption, osteoporosis

Adjunct to oral rehydration therapies -- Treatment of cholera, chronic diarrhoea

Synergistic interactions with other dietary components, e.g. dietary fibres, proteins, lipids --Improved metabolic control and enhanced bowel health

Thermogenesis --Obesity, diabetes
If anyone has colon cancer or knows that they may be genetically predisposed to colon cancer, I can't think of a better nutrient to help in protection.

Last edited by sunday; 05-03-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc-chica View Post
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Anti-biotics feed the candida yeast. I hope you meant "probiotics" when you posted above about what you used to combat the problem. Probiotics are very good when battling yeast. Anti-biotics make it grow and it worsens.

Often drs prescribe antibiotics for yeast infections. "Go figure" is right. That's usually what they do, though, as far as I know. (I work in the medical field.) It is pretty much a cycle, rarely goes away forever.
That's for sure. Thanks for your input
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
OMG, Bev, I am in love with your pup!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Eating PHD has the same effect on me.
I never feel guilty about the foods I eat now and I never suffer with the feeling that I use to have when I would eat junk. Or worry about how I was going to correct my poor habits. So happy to hear this Bev!

Lest, we feel discouraged about our losses, I thought I would add a chart to show us how much we have really lost and how far we have come.

5 lbs = a chihuahua
10 lbs = chemical additives an American consumes each year
15 lbs = 10 dozen LG eggs
20 lbs = an auto tire or a lg sack of taters
30 lbs = the avg cheese an American eats per year
50 lbs = small bale of hay or 200 sticks of butter
100 lbs = a 2 month old horse
My chihuahua wouldn't be too big.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I suspect that adding the RS to our smoothie may help in satiety and also keep our energy levels up on days when we naturally will be restricting cals.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I highlighted what seems to be apparently happening during tater fasts where we restrict fat and only eat taters for a few days.

Quote:
Resistant starch and macronutrient oxidation, satiety and weight loss

A number of authors have examined the potential of RS to alter macronutrient and in particular fat oxidation. It is proposed that eating a diet rich in RS may potentially increase the mobilisation and use of fat stores as a direct result of any reduction in insulin secretion (Tapsell 2004). Experimentally, this is indicated by a reduced respiratory quotient (RQ). RQ is a relative measure of oxygen uptake and is indicative of the use of fat/carbohydrate as fuel whereby a high RQ is reflective of high carbohydrate oxidation. Studies to date in humans would indicate that diets rich in RS do not affect total energy expenditure, carbohydrate oxidation or fat oxidation (Ranganathan et al. 1994; Tagliabue et al. 1995; Howe et al. 1996; Raben et al. 1997). Although in the study of Tagliabue et al. (1995) the authors found that a RS-rich meal resulted in a short-term reduction in glucose oxidation and diet-induced thermogenesis and an increase in fat oxidation, these effects were lost after adjusting for total carbohydrate intake (Tagliabue et al. 1995). In addition, oxidation effects were only observed for a relatively short time period (5 h) and the test-meal used contained no fat (Higgins 2004). Achour et al. (1997) examined the effect of RS on RQ during a post-absorptive period (i.e. 27 h after an initial RS-rich mixed meal and 10 h after a second identical RS-rich mixed meal). In this study, the authors unexpectantly noted a significantly increased RQ (i.e. indicating increased carbohydrate oxidation), which they attributed to increased bacterial fermentation in the colon. Clearly, more studies are needed to examine whether RS can influence macronutrient oxidation in humans. These studies should be longer in duration (i.e. reflect the several hours needed for normal transit time in humans) and ideally should use more accurate measures of RQ (i.e. direct calorimetry, rather than indirect calorimetry used in the above studies).

Animal studies indicate that feeding high doses of RS may decrease adipocyte cell size (De Deckere et al. 1993; Lerer-Metzger et al. 1996; Kabir et al. 1998; Kishida et al. 2001) and lower fat pad weight (De Deckere et al. 1993). RS was also shown to reduce the activity of lipogenic enzymes such as fatty acid synthase (the rate limiting enzyme in fat synthesis, Younes et al. 1995) and the expression of the protein responsible for insulin-stimulated glucose uptake (GLUT-4; Kabir et al. 1998) in these animals. As hypothesised by Higgins (2004) this may imply that (at least in rats) a high-RS diet may reduce the initial increase in plasma glucose and non-esterified fatty acids levels, naturally observed after eating a food, and as a result attenuate glucose uptake and lipogenesis in the adipocytes. In other words, RS may result in a smaller fat pad size and/or mass due to reduced glucose uptake and lipogenesis by the fat cells. However, no information exists regarding RS and adipocyte size and function in humans, and more animal studies are needed.

Any food/food ingredient that can increase satiety may play a vital role in weight-loss diets. Some studies have examined the potential of RS as a satiety agent. These appear to show a weak or no association between RS and satiety over the course of several hours or an entire day. de Roos et al. (1995) reported that long-term consumption of RS was more satiating than glucose, but the effect was small and did not affect daily caloric intake. Anderson et al. (2002) reported that high-RS meals caused less satiety than low-RS meals at 1 hour post-ingestion, while in the study of Skrabanja et al. (2001) human volunteers reported that breads rich in RS (sourced from buckwheat groats) imparted greater satiety than white bread, but only between 70 and 120 min post-meal. RS did not affect satiety in the studies of Holm & Bjorck (1992), Westrate & van Amelsvoort (1993) or Mèance et al. (1999), but resulted in satiety in those of van Amelsvoort & Westrate (1992), Raben et al. (1994), Skrabanja et al. (2001). It is noteworthy that these studies also showed a decrease in blood glucose levels following the consumption of a high-RS meal; therefore, it would appear that satiety is closely linked to blood glucose levels (Higgins 2004).

Future studies need to objectively measure satiety and account for changes in blood glucose levels using standardised test meals matched for macronutrients and fibre content but containing different levels of RS.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Sunday, have a question....

L Chen, R Liu, C Qin, Y Meng, J Zhang, Y Wang and G Xu
potato (refrigerated for 24 h) and roasted and cooled (in a
refrigerator for 24h) potato, 31.0% and 52.5%, respec-
tively, suggesting an influence of the deep-frying and
roasting process on RS forma

tion. According to Åkerberg
et al,
refrigeration of boiled potatoes might influence the
formation of retrograded star
ch considerably. Therefore,
when steamed or roasted potatoes were stored at 4
o
C for
24 h, the RS contents presumably increased considerably.

Am I wrong that we must store baked potatoes for 24 hrs. in fridge? Last time I didn't. Just cooled for an hr or two.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
There is more info on RS & taters/plantains in the potato thread on the paleo board. Otzi from *** chimed in.
I am going to read more of these, just need my days off to actually be days off!
Prepped the ground to start planting today!!
Looking forward to the BB/ADD link. My son, thankfully, is a-ok in that department. But I've read some research that suggests the combo of lack of sleep (over-tired kids) and junk nutrition has led to the rise in Autism & ADD/ADHD. He is a lot of the reason we try to go as natural as possible now.
On a totally un-PHD related note: my horse ran over my (5 year old) pup Tuesday night & broke his foot. Thankfully it doesn't look like it needs surgery so my Golden is currently a tripod & not quite understanding why this thing is strapped to his foot. Or why Mom won't let him go outside. And tonight my son's 22 yr old pony colicked. She's better now but pretty pissed about being locked up with no food for the night. She is the only Equid without medical insurance so surgery isn't an option for us financially for her. I don't think she appreciated me shoving a tube up her nose but shortly after she decided to start feeling better. Between these 2 and my big guy (in my AVI pic) who decided to abscess his whole leg in December...its a good thing I went to vet school if only to treat my own critters!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Sunday
Got to go to bed. Been reading about RS but most having fun on facebook. I do love it and so informative. Night ladies.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, I am so sorry about your pets. I love that you are a vet though! I love all animals, with such sentimental affection for horses & dogs. My goodness you have been overwhelmed lately. I will be back with loads of info on BB and the gut/brain connection.

Lindy, I am so glad that Paul actually converses with all of the PHD'ers on FB too. The FB group now has over 400 members, lots of Canadians & Aussies, as well as UK'ers too.

I just listened to Paul's talk w/ Peter Cohen and he offers an excellent persuasion of the super food -liver and bone broth. Actually his basis for the PHD is well layed out as well. Linked here~

Popout Player - BTR

Last edited by sunday; 05-04-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Good morning, y'all!

Keytones said I should come over here for the RS discussion.

I take about 2tbsp of raw cornstarch (in cold water, along with my DE*) right before bed. I found it helps me sleep better; it keeps blood sugar steady for several hours, so I don't wake up as often or have nightmares (which can be a way for the body to "shock" itself into releasing adrenalin & cortisol in order to raise blood sugar).

I also sometimes take a tbsp of cornstarch when I have a carby meal;
it lessens the blood sugar spike/crash/rebound-hunger effect.

IDK if I'm getting quite enough RS, if 20+ grams is ideal.
I could easily mix it into some other drinks throughout the day, though.

When you guys are talking about potato starch, do you mean "unmodified potato starch"?
I got some of that a few weeks ago but haven't switched to it (from cornstarch) yet.

I can't decide which plan I'm on lately.
Sorta Nutritional Ketosis, I guess, but I lost 2lbs and then gained back 5 these last 3 weeks.

PHD looks really good, but giving up beans & corn seems like torture--I'm Mexican! I have diabetes and no matter what plan I do, I try to keep it pretty low-carb, but I can fit in beans once a week or so, and I have corn tortillas that are only 7 net carb. If I'm not eating wheat, I like to have corn tortillas a couple times a week. But I haven't been sticking to the no-wheat thing lately, either! It's hard to find wheat-free wraps, crackers, etc that are also low-carb!

I really, really like white rice, though!!! I make a pot (my rice is the bestest!!! Does anyone need a tutorial? ) about once a week for my vegetarian son; he eats curry & rice, stir-fry & rice, or rice & beans almost every day.

So...please pardon my whining and waffling.
I've been doing this low-carb thing for about 2-1/2 years, found out I was diabetic about 2 years ago, and I just haven't found a WOE that works for me (one I find enjoyable & can stick to, not just one that works for weight loss).

Can anyone steer me towards info on PHD + diabetes?
(My library has the PHD book & I will try to pick it up this week.)

*Post #3 of this thread says "5mg silicon". Should that be silica?
DE (diatomaceous earth) is a great source of silica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Also, speaking about adding spices turmeric and cumin, does anyone here know anything about Triphala, native Indian spice, traditional Ayurvedic purifier? I have been reading up on it and remember speaking to the friendly supplement lady at Natural Grocer about its importance in helping heal the gut.**
Sunday, I personally can't take triphala, because I can't handle anything (including flax & certain kinds of magnesium) that increases poopage!!!

But I *always* recommend it (when I remember, anyway!) whenever anyone complains of constipation and/or needing to "detox".

Most laxatives work either by "bulking", increasing water in the stool, or causing the intestinal muscles to relax, OR to cramp & spasm. Triphala supposedly makes the intestinal muscles stronger without cramping; is very nutritious (amla has lots of Vitamin C) and removes toxins from the body.

I also don't like the flavor of triphala powder; some formulas add licorice. It can be taken in capsules, but an aspect of Ayurveda and other traditional medicines is that flavors are part of the remedy. Bitter flavors, for example, stimulate the liver to release bile, which aids in digestion. Perhaps you've heard of "Swedish bitters", or apéritif & digestif liqueurs, such as vermouth, which contain bitter herbs like wormwood. Our Western diets tend to be heavy on sweet & salty flavors without much sour, and even less bitter.

**For healing the gut, I usually suggest gelatin, l-glutamine, and aloe vera (but I suppose I should add resistant starch to the roster? ) . Triphala is probably healing to the body in general because of its nutrition and detoxifying properties, but some formulas are high in insoluble fiber, which could possibly be an irritant to the intestines and intestinal lining.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: grammar & punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen, a bit of info on ADD...

Gut-Brain Connection and Autism, ADD, & behavioral issues

The possibility and probability ... [Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2009 Oct-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

Dr. Jaminet speaks quite extensively in PHD about the relationship between the gut and many diseases. He says that most infections that we have originate in the gut. His own illness which caused him to have to spend much time researching and eventually led to writing PHD was from a serious gut dysbiosis.

The GAPS diet is very specific in restricting all starches until healing occurs. The best explanation is by reading or watching the Youtube videos with Dr. Natasha McBride and anything GAPS diet related. She is a Russian Neurologist/Neurosurgeon who is well know for developing a concept of GAPS (Gut And Psychology Syndrome). The diet is essentially PHD with focus on bone broth and NO grains except that no starches (potatoes, rice) are allowed until the gut is healed which can take up to two years. It is a grain free sugar free starch free diet that gives the gut a rest from the constant flow of complex carbohydrates that feed gut flora. After reading many of the testimonies, many children were able to see great benefits in one year and some were completely healed in that period. The good news is that this diet can slowly starve out the bad bacteria in your gut and replace it with healthy flora.

ADD, ADHD, Depression, Autism, Anxiety, even Rheumatoid Arthritis and Celiac disease are all thought to be related in that they all originate in the the gut from poor gut flora.

ETA: I also heard Paul discuss on that radio blog that while he was very ill with his gut, his memory was suffering quite a bit, to the point that he couldn't finish a research paper that he needed to conclude and this is when he realized that his gut had quite an effect on his brain.

Last edited by sunday; 05-04-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi PJ! It is so good to see you. I know that I learn almost everything I know from PHD website. Many of the PHD'ers are diabetics as well. I hear you on the beans! I am a bean lover and will not be ruling out beans ever, but will definitely learn a way to cook them so that I can have them as a treat once in a while. I have read Paul say several times that legumes can be soaked and prepared in such a way as to be toxin free.

I don't know if you are on FB, but there is a brand new group that started on FB and Paul actually contributes as well as many others. Some w/ diabetes.
The name of the group is Perfect Health - Finding Health with a side of starch. It is a private group, and after you join, then you can see all kinds of good info.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ, Yes, the potato starch is modified and as far as I know Bob's Red Mills is the only one that makes this type of starch? Again, I ran across Tatertot on PHD, but he orginated on the *** and other paleo sites when the tater hack became a popular fast.

I am quite interested in adding the Resistant Starch because I don't eat any RS now except for the very little I get from taters.

Thank you for the info on Triphala. I am trying to add all of the Indian spices in my attempt at helping my gut and ran across the great reviews once again on PHD.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ, I am going to try and see if I can get Tatertot to come by and post here. I keep meaning to try and get his attention, because he claims his results with the RS has lowered his fasting BG. Of course, he is getting 20-60g per day. Much more than I would be getting with one serving of taters daily.

Quote:
In the several months I've been trying to get 20-60g/day RS, I have witnessed a lowering of fasting blood glucose from the 110-120 range to the 90's, hdl cholesterol increased from 35 (in Nov 12) to 59 last week, ldl lowered from 150 to 130, and triglycerides went from 60 to 50. Whether these improvements are soley from the RS is hard to say, but at least they didn't go in the other direction! It's hard to pin down the contributions of a healthy gut, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor to target an increase in RS, especially for people who are pre-diabetic or have high cholesterol.

An experiment I did recently with potato starch told me all I need to know. I have been tracking my fasting blood glucose and post-prandial resonse to carbs with a OneTouch glucose monitor. I know that a potato with 40g carbs will cause a PP glucose spike of over 175 at 1 hour and return to normal at 3 hours. I drank 44g of potato starch mixed with water on an empty stomach and checked my glucose level every 15 minutes...I never saw a rise in BG more than 5 points above my fasting level. This proved to me that potato starch causes absolutely no glycemic load. Furthermore, 4 hours later, I ate a large, plain potato and found that my 1 hour PP glucose level was under 140 and returned to normal in less than 2 hours! Thus proving to me that RS has a powerful 'Second Meal Effect" as described here. I think it will turn out that as far as Low Glycemic Index foods are concerned—raw potato starch is the lowest!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I drank 44g of potato starch mixed with water on an empty stomach and checked my glucose level every 15 minutes...I never saw a rise in BG more than 5 points above my fasting level. This proved to me that potato starch causes absolutely no glycemic load.
Excellent--I have used cornstarch with good results, it's nice to know I could probably switch to potato starch!
Btw, 44g is about 1.5oz or 4tbsp.
If I'm only taking 1-2tbsp cornstarch per day, I'm not getting much RS!

PS:
Quote:
PJ, Yes, the potato starch is modified...
the Bob's Red Mill is UNmodified and I believe that's the type we should use, not modified.

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-04-2013 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: PS
Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Excellent--I have used cornstarch with good results, it's nice to know I could probably switch to potato starch!
Btw, 44g is about 1.5oz or 4tbsp.
If I'm only taking 1-2tbsp cornstarch per day, I'm not getting much RS!

PS:

the Bob's Red Mill is UNmodified and I believe that's the type we should use, not modified.
Yep! I mispoke! Thank you for correcting me!

PJ, did you notice your dreams or sleep changing when you took the RS? I am fascinated at his results.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I started taking it specifically to see if it would reduce nightmares. I have had really bad nightmares for years--chased by bears, eaten alive by wolves, shot, pushed off buildings...I wake up with my heart POUNDING!!! My dreams are still really weird--maybe even weirder--BUT they aren't scary.

I still wake up sometimes but I can get back to sleep more easily.

A few weeks ago, I skipped the cornstarch for a few nights and, interestingly, my nightmares didn't come back. Made me wonder if I'd broken a pattern somehow. I sorta got out of the habit of taking it but started again 2 nights ago and am going to try to stick to it...there seem to be many benefits besides better sleep. I wonder if stopping it was part of the reason I started gaining weight?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
A few weeks ago, I skipped the cornstarch for a few nights and, interestingly, my nightmares didn't come back. Made me wonder if I'd broken a pattern somehow. I sorta got out of the habit of taking it but started again 2 nights ago and am going to try to stick to it...there seem to be many benefits besides better sleep. I wonder if stopping it was part of the reason I started gaining weight?
I don't know but I will try the RS too and report back. I have the Bob's tapioca flour, but not the Potato unmodified starch, so I am off to find it at the local store. I notice that everyone that switches from LC paleo over to PHD, have a small gain the first few weeks. I recall that I did, but thought it was from adding in weights with KBs. On the NK, I never could keep it up. I tried and felt quite sated, in fact almost "busting at the seams" sated, , but my body doesn't seem to want to let go of weight in that manner. We are all so different.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
This is one supplement that I am excited to try. Thanks for all the info.

I am basking in the luxury right now. Received a huge bag of fresh basil and have been happily making pesto for the freezer (my favorite mayo replacement) and tomato basil sauce for today. I plan to have some rice pasta with this sauce for dinner. Basil is highly antiinflammatory as well as effective in lowering prandial blood sugars. Diabetics taking medication need to be careful about dosing when eating much basil. Also have read it has antibacterial qualities. Anyhoo, doing the happy dance thinking about the lovely upcoming meals.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
This is one supplement that I am excited to try. Thanks for all the info.

I am basking in the luxury right now. Received a huge bag of fresh basil and have been happily making pesto for the freezer (my favorite mayo replacement) and tomato basil sauce for today. I plan to have some rice pasta with this sauce for dinner. Basil is highly antiinflammatory as well as effective in lowering prandial blood sugars. Diabetics taking medication need to be careful about dosing when eating much basil. Also have read it has antibacterial qualities. Anyhoo, doing the happy dance thinking about the lovely upcoming meals.
Cici, Can we have your recipe? I have never made it, but I was just talking about making homemade mayo with OO & EVCO. I do miss having mayo on certain foods. Thanks for sharing!

Which supp were you speaking of? We have only talked about a gazillion.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

I was talking about the BRM potato starch. I like Bob.

Basil Pesto -

Blend after each addition
about 2 oz almonds until finely chopped, (pinenuts are often used)
add 1-2 cloves garlic,
add about 1/3c oil (most people use olive, I use CO)
add 2-3c basil leaves (discard stems unless you want to use them in stock.)

At this point I may add more basil (parsley is good too) or anything else to adjust taste or consistency. This will give you about 5-6 muffin cups worth to take out and thaw when desired.

Note: fresh basil should only be stored in oil if it is going to be frozen. It is otherwise an easy target for botulism. If you are freezing basil without oil it will turn black but is still good.

Last edited by cici52; 05-04-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gotcha! I love everything Bob's too!

Okay, so with fresh basil, is there a danger if kept in fridge and I imagine that the time limit would only be a week? I am so excited to make this!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Fresh basil unprocessed will be like any other herb. It should be kept dry in the fridge attached to its stem. It may wilt after a few days depending on your source, and you may find mildew on some of the leaves. I always discard those. They are usually the older bottom leaves. Mildew can occur while the plant is still growing. Of course, wash in cold water before using.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi Jenny!!!

Good to see you here!

I haven't lost weight on the PHD. I do believe it is a good plan for tanking up on nutrients in between whatever hack I am using to lose weight.

I am off eating up right now. I just got too cold, tired, and hungry, even though I was only potato-hacking Mon-Fri afernoon (sometimes eating out on Wed as well). I just read Jaminet predicts people trying the potato hack for too long will end up with increasing hunger and said the Irish drink milk with the potatoes to round out the nutrition.

I just bought a bunch of keifer and corn starch, and ordered the Hi-Maize and Bob's unmodified potato starch. I am darn curious now! I was about to start a protein-sparing modified fast again with fat free greek yogurt, but this is steering me off in another direction for now. I want to check out the keifer/potato starch idea for a bit.

I had nearly identical experience as tatertot - lost over 100 lbs, fasting came down to 120 on high fat paleo, and down into the 80s on potato hack. I am looking for ways to keep that fasting glucose down!!!

I am diabetic. Potatoes have given me amazing results.

I watched a youtube video of a lady making her own potato starch. She just peeled, shredded in her food processor, put some cheese cloth in a bowl, filled the bowl with warmish water and the potato shreds, lifted the potato shreds out by the cheese cloth, squeezed (repeated 4 times with fresh water).

Wow, when she was done the bottom of the bowl was coated with potato starch - a thick layer! She stuck that in the dehydrator. She got a little jar out of the batch.

Im off to clean house and go for a long bike ride. I'll check in later.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-04-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Got my potato starch ordered yesterday. Had to go to the big AM because Netrition doesn't carry it. Also ordered me a muffin top pan to make buns. Really looking forward to that.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Day two of the increased levels of RS. I must say, this level of resistant starch also increased the flatulence. I think I will back down a bit and build slowly. I had the same reaction when I first started kombucha and kefir!!

Found two lonely bunches of watercress at Whole Foods today and ate the peppery stuff in a lovely salad for lunch. It has a root ball attached, so I am trying to see if I can plant it.

I've been freezing my fresh basil in oil in my silicon cupcake pan. Making some pesto is a really good idea! Thanks for your recipe.

I was bummed. Whole Foods did not have any grass fed liver. I really was going to try making some pate.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've never tried making pesto with almonds...sounds good...I usually use walnuts, which are a bit more affordable than pine nuts!!!

Does anybody take liver pills?
The source is usually grass-fed beef from Argentina.
I've never bought or cooked liver; I get pâté or braunschweiger every now and then,
but the liver pills are very convenient, pretty cheap, and don't go bad for years!

Sungoddess...I just noticed 2 things!
1) I thought that was a teddy bear in your avatar but it's a real animal, isn't it?! OMG so perfectly cute!!!!
2) Where'd you hear/read that proverb? A former roommate from Peru introduced me to "sopa levanta muerto"--"Raise the Dead Soup"!
I made it for Easter this year!
(Accidentally...didn't realize how appropriate it was until a couple days later!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soup.jpg (28.2 KB, 2 views)