Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #601
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
Well I lost 4.4 pounds in a 3 day potato hack...I haven't seen the scale move like that - well I have never seen the scale move like that before. Now what to do to keep it off 121.4 looks pretty darn good I assume it is mostly water right?

Great job Lindy! My next task is Kimchi making do you have Nourishin Traditions by Sally Fallon? I love that book, and I bet she has a great recipe(s) for it!
Great!

I believe a good portion of it is fat, based on my experience. It isn't like going from high to low carb where you suddenly drop 6 pounds and it is all water.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #602
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree KeyTones.

I actually began using hemp hearts and chia before ever reading PHD and still believe that they are very beneficial.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I can't recall who came by and said they were going to start taking the potato starch due to their mother suffering from colon cancer, but I must agree, that if anyone has either stomach or colon cancer in their genetic history, this would be a valuable supplement.

Emerald | Nutrition & Food Science | Resistant starch: a potential functional food ingredient
Ah, very good...

I am curious if you have ever read about why asian diets seem to produce a high incidence of stomach cancer? This has always bothered me - I read once it might be their high intake of pickled foods.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #604
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Asians have a high incidence but also according to this link so do Hispanics and African Americans.
H. pylori is a major cause of stomach cancer. Long term infection of the inner layer of the stomach. Also diets that consist of mostly smoked foods, salted fish and meat, and pickled vegetables have an increased risk of getting stomach cancer. Nitrates and nitrites are substances commonly found in cured meats, some drinking water, and certain vegetables.

Welcome to gecancer.org

Quote:
Helicobacter pylori or H. pylori: a bacterium that infects millions of people worldwide and is a major cause of stomach cancer. Long-term infection of the stomach with H. pylori may lead to chronic inflammation and damage to the inner layer of the stomach. This chronic inflammation may result in precancerous changes to the lining of the stomach. Patients with adenocarcinoma of the stomach have a higher rate of infection than those without cancer. Some strains of H. pylori are more commonly associated with the development of stomach cancer than other strains. H. pylori infection is also associated with some types of lymphoma of the stomach (e.g. MALT lymphoma). The exact mechanism by which infection with H. pylori leads to the development of stomach cancer is not well understood. Indeed, the vast majority of people who are infected with H. pylori never develop cancer of the stomach.
Dietary causes: People who eat diets containing large amounts of smoked foods, salted fish and meat, and pickled vegetables have an increased risk of getting stomach cancer. Nitrates and nitrites are substances commonly found in cured meats, some drinking water, and certain vegetables. These nitrates and nitrites can be converted by H. pylori into compounds that have been found to cause stomach cancer in animals. Eating whole grain products and fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins A and C appear to lower the risk of stomach cancer.
Tobacco and alcohol abuse: Smoking increases stomach cancer risk, particularly for cancers of the proximal stomach (the upper portion of the stomach closest to the esophagus). The rate of stomach cancer is approximately doubled in smokers. Some studies have linked alcohol use to stomach cancer, but this is not certain.
Obesity: Obesity is a major cause of many cancers and especially cancers of the cardia (part nearest the esophagus) of the stomach. Obesity is related to increased reflux and irritation of the lining of the stomach, particularly in the cardia or lower esophagus.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 4 for Oklahoma to have tornadoes today for this week. I am really getting tired of this.

Hope we can finally have some normal summer weather. I will start a new PHD thread in the morning. Enjoy your Friday!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #606
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Thanks for posting this sunday. Very timely as my DH just had a colonoscopy done this week. The doc did an endoscopy too when he saw my DH's name LOL. Said that Asians have a high risk of stomach cancer. He was found to have a few colon polyps (which are now removed and won't have the chance to grow into cancer--yay!!) and also bleeding in his stomach. The doc didn't say what to do for the bleeding though. Thought that was strange---so I asked him what to do. Said, "Nexium". Uh, not good enough for me!!! Anyway, that explains why he has been nauseated lately.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, I am sorry. Bleeding sounds painful too. I will keep an eye out on other sources of healing for this.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #608
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, DH may have tried these suggestions, just thought I would throw this out...

On the digestive enzymes, I would suggest papaya. It is cheap in supplement form and truly amazing. Also, on the aloe vera juice, I work with an older woman who swears that aloe vera helped her to lose weight and heal her stomach.

Natural alternatives to Nexium, Prilosec and Prevacid

Quote:
Diet — Avoid trigger foods such as coffee, alcohol, soda, tomatoes, onions, citrus, chocolate, peppermint, and spicy and fried foods.
Change eating habits — Eat slowly and chew well. Avoid eating big meals, and eat dinner at least three hours prior to bedtime.
Lifestyle changes — Stop smoking and lose weight, if necessary.
Digestive enzymes — Take a complete enzyme formula with meals to help digest fats, proteins and carbohydrates.
DGL licorice — Chewing and swallowing one to two tablets protects the stomach lining, and is also an excellent solution for patients who must take aspirin, NSAIDS, corticosteroids or osteoporosis medications.
Aloe vera juice — Two tablespoons in a glass of water will help soothe the stomach.
Acupuncture — Regular treatments can help relieve symptoms of “stomach fire” and promote balance in the body.
Heartburn relief

Last edited by sunday; 05-31-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
papaya enzymes are great we use them all the time...especially during pregnancy I would suggest looking into fermented keifer too... that seems to have an excellent gut healing. I live in easley, sc, if you are near me, come by and geta healthy keifer grain and some raw goat's milk the girls eat alfalfa hay and raw gluten free grains...we have excellent milk for excellent keifer
Mamatomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #610

Thanks sunday. Ironically enough Dr Weil was on Dr Oz's show today and they were talking about alternative medicine. The DGL was on Dr Weil's list of essential supplements. Haha. Talk about timing!! I will look into that. I don't have the papaya enzymes. I do have betaine Hcl with pepsin. I take those myself. I wonder if it would to DH any good.

Funny thing is that when he was doing the clear liquid diet to prepare for the colonoscopy he said he felt the best he had in a long, long time. I think it was because his stomach was empty. He could breathe at night (his asthma symptoms which were long gone for years, have since returned) and no stomach issues. Something is definitely wrong in that area. Just not sure what to do. He is taking a few TBL of apple cider vinegar for allergies already. Thought that would be enough for his stomach. I will bring this up to him this weekend see what he want to try. He lives on coffee, I don't think he wants to give that up. Or I should say he isn't willing to give that up. And frankly I don't blame him. I love it too!! But will see if some other suggestions work. Thank you so much, again!

mama--I am in Columbia/the Irmo area. I wonder how far that is from you. Off to google. I don't think it is that far. Oh, I see. Greenville area. My doctor was in the Traveler's Rest area. I would travel that far just to see her, she was that good. Too bad she is no longer seeing patients or I could say we could meet up! And are you saying you raise the goats yourself? That is soooo cool. My kids would love that so much.

Last edited by dawnyama; 05-31-2013 at 05:56 PM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #611
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn - I am sorry to hear about your DH. It is frustrating - my late husband had a bleeding problem and it was crazy how indifferent the doctors were about it when he was anemic.

Chris Kresser has a series of articles on GERD that might be helpful. Isn't it odd the asthma connection? It is related.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #612
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalifPam
Why only egg yolks and not the whole egg?
CalifPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #613
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Just reading the testimonies of the people on PHD who have been doing this for a trial, has me very hopeful. I hope you will not give up right away, because it took me a couple of weeks before I became used to the potato starch and less suffering of side effects such as bloat, gas, etc
Thank you for the additional information. I shall continue - I managed the potato hack for a fairly long time despite being very unwell twice during it so I can persevere when I think the results will justify it.

I've started taking magnesium to help deal with the PS constipation so that should help.

I'll take a look at how the PHD people are faring with it.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #614
Senior LCF Member

It seems with all the research on RS that it would seem beneficial to do a 3 day ph every week? I have started adding the starch to my smoothie in the morning (just 1 T.tho) What is the consensious on hacking every week?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Dawn - I am sorry to hear about your DH. It is frustrating - my late husband had a bleeding problem and it was crazy how indifferent the doctors were about it when he was anemic.

Chris Kresser has a series of articles on GERD that might be helpful. Isn't it odd the asthma connection? It is related.
I started to think about why the doc would put off the results of the endoscopy. Maybe he is assuming we are going to our PCP for the results and he would be handling that? Thing is, we hate DH's PCP. We need a new one and he didn't order the colonoscopy. We did it on our own. So maybe that is the issue--he expects us to follow up with family doctor. I will ask my doc when I see her in a few weeks.

I think my DD has the same issues and I am beginning to wonder if it is gluten related. I have to get the whole family off of wheat/gluten. I have been "off plan" this week eating whatever I want and my stomach is rebelling today.

I will be potato hacking next week in anticipation of some blood work the next week. So not really watching what I eat carefully for a few days. Not fun at all. I want to know what you all think about mama's ? as well. Not sure if it is better to hack for a few days, then go off a few, and then start anew after that. Or straight hacking for many days.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #616
Senior LCF Member

Wanna hear something funny? I have been adding 1 T. of organic corn starch to my smoothie every morning...CORN STARCH FOLKS! OMG
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #617
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifPam View Post
Why only egg yolks and not the whole egg?
I may be wrong but I think it's a trade-off between calories and nutrient density.

PHD seems to emphasise eating a sufficient but not excess amount of protein, so with all of the other recommended foods, it begins to be rather a squash for your calories. Egg yolks have choline, vitamin A and are generally a decent source of protein as well as being nutrient rich, compared to the egg whites.

If you have enough calorie headroom in your diet (and the recommendations are summarised on the first page of the thread) I don't think there's any reason not to eat the whites.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Slow. I am going to buy some Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch and take 4 tbsp of that a day to get my RS requirement. Along with my veggie intake, that will take up half my carb calories. Are carrots a good way to get the balance of the carbs? I am not keen on potatoes since they need to be baked and I don't want to bake anything. I'm thinking steamed organic carrots would be fine. I avoid rice because it takes me to binging on carbs like no other food. Also, as far as adding ACV to each meal, how much to you add per meal?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you, Slow. I am going to buy some Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch and take 4 tbsp of that a day to get my RS requirement. Along with my veggie intake, that will take up half my carb calories. Are carrots a good way to get the balance of the carbs? I am not keen on potatoes since they need to be baked and I don't want to bake anything. I'm thinking steamed organic carrots would be fine. I avoid rice because it takes me to binging on carbs like no other food. Also, as far as adding ACV to each meal, how much to you add per meal?
Welcome Pam. I am going to start a June PHD thread and will link it. Please go slow on the RS and if you have IBS, Crohn's or any digestion difficulties, I would really pay close attention to your body as you supplement with starch. I am strongly believing in the health benefits but also cautious because it is not digestible as other foods are.

On the egg yolks, SlowSure is right! Paul says the majority of nutrients are contained in the yolk, including healthy fat. The whites are just added protein. Some ppl are sensitive to the whites, but if you aren't, they are just extra protein and fine to eat.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the welcome. I have been VLC for years and I am wondering if that has messed up my digestive tract. Is Paul's recommendation for safe carbs implying they are essential and harm will come to those who don't eat starch? And what harm does that create? When I eat broccoli I get major gastrointestinal upset now. I used to eat tons of the stuff with no ill effect. Also, alcohol sugars reek havoc So, I am assuming that the RS will be problematic for me. If I eat just protein and fat, I'm fine. Did the VLC mess up my digestive system?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #621
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome. I have been VLC for years and I am wondering if that has messed up my digestive tract. Is Paul's recommendation for safe carbs implying they are essential and harm will come to those who don't eat starch? And what harm does that create? When I eat broccoli I get major gastrointestinal upset now. I used to eat tons of the stuff with no ill effect. Also, alcohol sugars reek havoc So, I am assuming that the RS will be problematic for me. If I eat just protein and fat, I'm fine. Did the VLC mess up my digestive system?
Great questions and NO you have not messed up your system.

Perfect Health plan is low carb, but adds safe starches with outstanding and wonderful health benefits. I will add answers to the reasons why on the June thread soon. Please click the link at bottom of my siggie.

Also, if you are on FB, please go join the FB Perfect Health group. It is private and you can ask any question and Paul Jaminet frequents and gives his advice regularly.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #622
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do you all know how Jaminet feels about nutritional yeast? I just discovered I love this tasty stuff. I saw it on the side of a cheesy kale chips bag as the "cheese."
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #623
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Do you all know how Jaminet feels about nutritional yeast? I just discovered I love this tasty stuff. I saw it on the side of a cheesy kale chips bag as the "cheese."
Hi KeyTones,
I am pretty sure it is allowed since beets are and as long as "no toxins", but to be safe, I have asked the question over at PHD just to be sure.

Hey come join us at the new June thread linked in my siggie!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #624
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you!