Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Cici, I would be interested in knowing his name. I find this very interesting as well.

Nancy, I am sorry about the diagnosis. I am hoping for good news on the saffron herbal supp.

Also, speaking about adding spices turmeric and cumin, does anyone here know anything about Triphala, native Indian spice, traditional Ayurvedic purifier? I have been reading up on it and remember speaking to the friendly supplement lady at Natural Grocer about it's importance in helping heal the gut. Especially when we have issues with IBS, bloating, etc. I know at the time, that I bought it and took it for about a month and then sort of let go. I have a habit of dropping supps that are really beneficial without reason.
Evidently, it is pretty popular with Ayurvedic naturopaths.

From Organic India site~

Quote:
Triphala ("three fruits"), an herb originating in India, has been found to act as a complete body cleanser. Not only does Triphala help to detoxify and cleanse the colon, it also purifies the blood and removes toxins from the liver. Other cleansing benefits of Triphala include reducing some forms of cholesterol (serum cholesterol), and reduces high blood pressure.

The plant's popularity in India stems from the vegetarian diet of much of this country's population, requiring a laxative that does not counteract with the diet of these people. Triphala is categorized as a purgative form of laxative, i.e. an herb type of intestinal stimulant that works similar to Senna and Rhubarb. Purgative preparations are often needed by people who have certain degrees of liver and gall bladder congestion. As Triphala is known as a cleaning agent, including a blood cleanser, the herb is very beneficial for these people. The herb also has a high nutritional value, including high levels of vitamin C.

Triphala, said to contain three different 'fruits' is well known in ancient Indian folklore, and is widely used by natural healers experienced in Indian Ayurvedic medicine, which literally translated means 'long life practice'. The fruits, Harada, Amla, and Bihara, relate to the three sections or 'humors' of Indian medicine. Harada, which is bitter tasting, is best known for its laxative qualities as well as being an astringent and antispasmodic. Amla, which is high in Vitamin C (20 times more than citrus fruit) is sour tasting and is considered good for inflammation of the stomach and intestines.

Because of its high vitamin content, Triphala is often used as a food supplement like vitamins are in Western countries. In fact, the benefits of this herb are so well known that a well known Indian saying goes like this: "You do not have a mother? Don't worry, as long as you have Triphala in your life!"

In recent years, a number of research studies have found new uses for this herb, including treatment for various forms of cancer. It is also found to have high antioxidant qualities, and is even useful for treatment against noise and stress induced conditions.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-02-2013 at 10:44 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
[QUOTE=sunday;16405528]Cici, I would be interested in knowing his name. I find this very interesting as well.

Oops. Doug Kaufmann.

Incidentally, I have noticed a trend back toward my old sleeping pattern. Two things possibly in play: The shift to ETL foods prohibited on PHD and running out of pterostilbine.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
[quote=cici52;16405545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Cici, I would be interested in knowing his name. I find this very interesting as well.

Oops. Doug Kaufmann.
I love this man "Know the Cause" is my favorite tv show.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Also, speaking about adding spices turmeric and cumin, does anyone here know anything about Triphala, native Indian spice, traditional Ayurvedic purifier? I have been reading up on it and remember speaking to the friendly supplement lady at Natural Grocer about it's importance in helping heal the gut. Especially when we have issues with IBS, bloating, etc. I know at the time, that I bought it and took it for about a month and then sort of let go. I have a habit of dropping supps that are really beneficial without reason.
Evidently, it is pretty popular with Ayurvedic naturopaths.

From Organic India site~
Never heard of this one. Sounds interesting. I also end up dropping supplements. I forget about them or something, I don't know why. Maybe because it seems like I take 100!

Quote:

Oops. Doug Kaufmann.

Incidentally, I have noticed a trend back toward my old sleeping pattern. Two things possibly in play: The shift to ETL foods prohibited on PHD and running out of pterostilbine.

Very interesting! I also find people's different reaction to supplements. Pterostilbene energizes me so I have to take it early in the day. I hope you get happy sleep again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Kristin, Love your analysis. I have done the same thing so many times. Mindlessly drifting through the store considering and justifying this little bit of goo and that while blocking out some unpleasant thought. For me it means a binge is in the works and if I realize it I have gone back around and put it back. You seem to have come out of the fog well before doing too much damage. My mother can eat like that. Just a bit of something without diving headlong in and finishing the lot.

Have any of you considered the possibility of fungal overgrowth in your gut and other health issues? I was watching a program today that linked a lot of things together and even addressed the issue of weight resulting from this problem. As I was considering my own history I realized PHD is largely antifungal, other than the starch factor. I don't know if Jaminet addresses fungus but will do a little research. The author wrote a book called The Fungus Link. I know candida diets are not new but am just beginning to consider this aspect so welcome any thoughts or experience.
I did follow an anti-candida diet about a year and a half ago on the advice of my nutrition guru. It was quite effective. It was no sugar, grains, yeasts, starchy foods, peanuts, mushrooms, etc. Even coffee. That as the hardest part for me. I took oil of oregano supplements, grapefruit seed extract, something else I can't remember.

I made this sardine bake and it was really good! I am going to try to eat them more regularly now.

Sardine and potato bake
• Serves: 2
• Prep Time: 10 mins
• Total Time: 40 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
Ingredients
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 4 large potatoes
• 1 small onion
• salt & pepper to taste
• 2 cans sardines in olive oil
• 2 Tbsp milk
Instructions
- Cut the potatoes into matchsticks, and slice the onions.

- Preheat the oven to 180° C or 350° F.

- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan, melt the butter and fry onions until softened. Add potatoes and continue frying gently for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and taste for seasoning.

- Butter a gratin dish then pour in half of the potato and onion mixture.

- Top with sardines, then tip over remaining potato mixture.

- Add the milk to the dish, then cover with aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes.

- Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes, until golden on top.

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-02-2013 at 12:30 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm, does this mean that my lovely portabella's would be considered off limits with Doug's approach? I so enjoy them.

Kristin, I smile because I can so relate to your shopping experience. I have grabbed something that most definitely meant comfort somewhere in my psyche, and then when I get home... I am wondering what just happened? Mac n Cheese definitely one that I relate as comforting... also, Chunky Chocolate Cappuccino frozen yogurt is another. I try now to use taters with butter & bb mashed in.

I am sorry about your friend.

Last edited by sunday; 05-02-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, That sounds so delish!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Hmmm, does this mean that my lovely portabella's would be considered off limits with Doug's approach? I so enjoy them.

No mushrooms allowed. Sadly, no cheese either I had to use the anti-candida diet after my last c-section. I had really bad yeast problems I believe from the meds I was on in the hospital. I had a ton of coconut oil, heavy duty pro-biotics (ie expensive!) , oil of oregano, yogurt. The whole gamut. Watched my diet closely--that is the only way to rid yourself of the yeast.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I'm having a hard time telling myself no to grains (except wheat). Namely corn and GF crackers made with amaranth, rice, guinoa and chia seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Blonde, I am gasping.
Me, I eat bone broth, potatoes, masses of liver and Brussel sprouts, and kefir.
But. Last night, shortly after hearing a friend of mine had had a couple of strokes on the weekend, I was at the grocery store to pick up an organic chicken.
I got to the checkout, where I unloaded the chicken, the tarragon, the lemon, the onion, AND Reese's pieces, bridge mixture (haven't seen that since I was ten), Kraft Dinner (ditto), Australian black licorice (which I don't like but which my lovely man loves), and two bars of 85% chocolate.
I swear to god I had no memory of picking these things up.
It wasn't till I got to the car that I remembered the strokes - I'd blocked out the news almost as soon as I'd heard.
Got home, ate the Kraft Dinner (which was gorgeous in an infantile way), and calmed down.
Also ate a couple of bridge mixture bits which were not gorgeous in any way.
Next time I figure I'll just buy a case of baby formula.
Crazy. And wonderful, somehow.
Long story. The point is that gasping is for non-humans.
Hope everybody has a wonderful day.
Kristin I just loved this (even though it came from bad news). It's a very good explanation of what happens to me, too.... probably most of us. I have soothed myself with mac n cheese, lifted myself with bridge mix and Reese's Pieces. The part about the baby formula made me laugh out loud! I so relate. I'm very sorry about your friend, What is the outlook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
I prefer to steam frozen or fresh cauliflower and mash it in a food processor - this is my favorite method.
I love to steam Normandy vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, yellow and zucchini squash) and blend it with chicken stock (storebought) and cooked butternut squash...it makes a lovely soup and is so satisfying. Truly comfort food.

Quote:
Have any of you considered the possibility of fungal overgrowth in your gut and other health issues? I was watching a program today that linked a lot of things together and even addressed the issue of weight resulting from this problem. As I was considering my own history I realized PHD is largely antifungal, other than the starch factor. I don't know if Jaminet addresses fungus but will do a little research. The author wrote a book called The Fungus Link. I know candida diets are not new but am just beginning to consider this aspect so welcome any thoughts or experience.
I have considered this and tossed it aside as another distraction that I can't afford right now, but I'm willing to bet it applies to me in some way. As it stands I have wheat intolerance, thyroid issues, asthma, arthritis and I'm overweight. I am having a difficult time knowing where to put the emphasis.

Now back to the previous page that I skipped to write this. See ya in a few minutes.
6/27~226.6
8/01~235
8/06~233
8/15~229.8
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am having a difficult time knowing where to put the emphasis....although my body seems to know right where to put the excess fat.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Kristin, Love your analysis. I have done the same thing so many times. Mindlessly drifting through the store considering and justifying this little bit of goo and that while blocking out some unpleasant thought. For me it means a binge is in the works and if I realize it I have gone back around and put it back. You seem to have come out of the fog well before doing too much damage. My mother can eat like that. Just a bit of something without diving headlong in and finishing the lot.

Cici, I have had candida for about 3 yrs. (from too much antibiotics) And it will not go away. Tried more antibiotics, pills, creams and whatnot. Nothing, so lately I've tried (heard about it on the board) Diatomacious Earth. Helped some but so hard to stomach. Now I'm on CO and ACV. Lets see if it helps. My trouble is I have eaten wrong for sooooo many years. Everything was southern fried. I trained my 3 daughters to do the same. And yes, all became overweight. My bad....
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Cici, I have had candida for about 3 yrs. (from too much antibiotics) And it will not go away. Tried more antibiotics, pills, creams and whatnot. Nothing, so lately I've tried (heard about it on the board) Diatomacious Earth. Helped some but so hard to stomach. Now I'm on CO and ACV. Lets see if it helps. My trouble is I have eaten wrong for sooooo many years. Everything was southern fried. I trained my 3 daughters to do the same. And yes, all became overweight. My bad....
Anti-biotics feed the candida yeast. I hope you meant "probiotics" when you posted above about what you used to combat the problem. Probiotics are very good when battling yeast. Anti-biotics make it grow and it worsens.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the comments.

I have been such a carb junkie over a lifetime that it would make sense for me to have candida. But most doctors don't seem to recognize it as a contributor to health problems. I read about a home saliva test. Never know what to think of internet info. Will try tomorrow a.m. before putting anything in my mouth to see if it shows anything.

DE probably works the same way fiber does. I have some here as well as home fermented veggies, CO. I am surprised about the ACV. I have seen it listed as acceptable when other vinegars are on the do not partake list. Some say that if fungus is the problem that the phase one diet can give you improvement in as little as two weeks, though it takes longer for some.

Lindy, I see you are NK which deals with the carb aspect. Have you looked at the other side of the nutrition which is eating those carbs that are antifungal?

AIM challenge
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
2nd bone broth update

I need to come back and read the latest stuff more closely. I'm interested in the yeast bit as I've had some troubles myself. BUT...
I used some of my chicken bone broth tonight on taters and it was quite yummy in this application. I dished out the rest to put in the fridge where I hope it gels and I can more effectively de-fat it.
Still not sure I'll be able to drink a mug of it straight - there are ladies on the JUDDD board who will drink it by the mug-full - but I will definitely use it to cook.
I can freeze it without losing any of the health qualities, right? I know you're not supposed to heat it up in the microwave (or so I've heard).

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Jaminet thinks it is alright to warm it in the microwave. Several of us are freezing it. Ice cube trays or flexible muffin cups work nicely. The chicken broth fat is the least solid of all the broths but does gather at the top when cool so still pretty easy to scrape it off IMO. Some add CO when it is warm as it mixes with the chicken fat and makes it more solid and easier to remove. Enjoy
Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Anti-biotics feed the candida yeast. I hope you meant "probiotics" when you posted above about what you used to combat the problem. Probiotics are very good when battling yeast. Anti-biotics make it grow and it worsens.
Actually I was put on an extremely expensive dosage of antibiotics for about a week. Not once but twice. Go figure. I was put on this because my white blood cells were low. and they wanted to knock out any infection. I don't think candida was actually mentioned.

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 05-02-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments.

I have been such a carb junkie over a lifetime that it would make sense for me to have candida. But most doctors don't seem to recognize it as a contributor to health problems. I read about a home saliva test. Never know what to think of internet info. Will try tomorrow a.m. before putting anything in my mouth to see if it shows anything.

DE probably works the same way fiber does. I have some here as well as home fermented veggies, CO. I am surprised about the ACV. I have seen it listed as acceptable when other vinegars are on the do not partake list. Some say that if fungus is the problem that the phase one diet can give you improvement in as little as two weeks, though it takes longer for some.

Lindy, I see you are NK which deals with the carb aspect. Have you looked at the other side of the nutrition which is eating those carbs that are antifungal?
I haven't really looked into that aspect of it. What would you suggest?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Antifungal Diet - Phase 1 Permitted foods (from Doug Kaufmann)
Meats:Beef, Fish, Poultry, Lamb, Turkey, Pork
Nuts:Raw nuts, including pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, and pumpkin seeds. Stored Nuts tend to gather mold, so be careful!
No Peanuts and No Pistachio's
Vegetables:Most fresh, unblemished vegetables and freshly made vegetable juice. (avoid mushrooms, corn, and potatoes)
Beverages:Bottled or filtered water, non-fruity herbal teas, stevia sweetened fresh lemonade or limeade, freshly squeezed carrot juice.
Fruits:Berries, grapefruit, lemon, lime, green apples, avocado, fresh coconut
Dairy:Organic butter, organic plain yogurt, ( use the following very sparingly) cream cheese, unsweetened whipping cream, real sour cream
Eggs
Vinegar:Apple cider vinegar
Oils:Olive, grape, flax seed, cold pressed virgin coconut oil.
Sweeteners:Stevia, Xylitol.
In addition he mentioned that foods pickled in vinegar are not permitted but veggies fermented without vinegar are okay.

He has a website but we cannot link it here.

Last edited by cici52; 05-02-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Cici. That is pretty much how I eat daily plus the bone broth and taters. I have been drinking ACV & kombucha regularly since 2009 when I first discovered Braggs. I don't have yeast or candida. In fact, I haven't had sugar since 2009 so that may have helped eliminate my issues. Unfortunately, I have enjoyed wine and that could be my achilles heel.

I didn't discover that gluten could be an issue until I found PHD, so I am new to gluten free. But other than that, I was already eating PHD before I discovered PHD. Except for taters and BB.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! I have learned so much today and I am so grateful for the new Perfect Health Facebook Group! Please everyone that enjoys PHD and loves to learn, go join this new group. We are a private group. This means that any question that you ask will not be all over your newsfeed. It also means that you can remain anonymously a member if you just want to browse and read the amazing Q&A.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, It is interesting that Doug allows ACV, but doesn't want you to eat your veggies pickled this method? I don't understand, because I know that kombucha and kimchi or any fermentation works wonders on our gut?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This post is something that I have been reading up on and studying for some time and would like to post here for further discussion and debate. I am very much sold on Resistant Starch and also cold taters. I know that we receive many health benefits from daily doses of RS, but also know that taters work well with our gut. I have been following tatertot (potato farmer & poster) over on PHD and MDA since I fell in love with the tater hack. P

If you have a chance to read the latest post on the blog Free the Animal by Nicolay, it is really good.

The title is Prepare for the “Resistant Starch” Assimilation; Resistance is Futile

Below is a glimpse from that posting.

Quote:
Most scientists used 20-50 grams RS per day in their human studies. Most recommendations are for the ingestion of 20-40g/day for maximum benefit, and there seems to be an upper limit of about 60g where it stops being effective, and a lower limit of about 20g where it has little effect.

My next step was to target RS in the 20-60g/day range from common foods...this proved difficult.

I learned there was a bit of RS in cooked and cooled rice, like sushi rice, but only a small amount, like 5g per cup.

An average-sized raw potato contains about 50g RS. When cooked it contains between zero and 5g, depending on cooking methods. The RS found in raw potatoes swells and bursts as temperatures approach 160 degrees F, turning the RS into rapidly digestible starch. The highest RS in cooked potatoes is in potato chips and french-fries—foods most paleo eaters wisely avoid because of the oils used.

When cooked potatoes are cooled, the starch undergoes a process called 'retrogradation' where the rapidly digestible starch is converted back into RS. The amount of RS in a cooked and cooled potato is approximately 8g.

Another source I found for easily accessible RS was green bananas. A medium-sized, very green banana contains 15g RS. As it ripens, the RS goes to zero. A big problem is that very green bananas taste like crap! They can be eaten, but not really enjoyed.

Legumes such as kidney beans contain a fair amount of RS, nearly 10g per cup. Once again, most paleo eaters wisely avoid legume consumption due to possible anti-nutrients and harmful compounds. Still, I don't hide from the occasional serving of beans—I just don't make them a staple food.

Unripe plantains are about 75% RS by weight. Unripe plantains are worse than green bananas and completely inedible. I did, however, find that when dehydrated and salted, they are very palatable. They taste just like a Saltine cracker and provide about 100g of RS per plantain.

Another source of RS I looked into was Hi-Maize Corn Starch. This product is made from specially bred corn with a high RS content. It's widely added to baked products to increase the RS content. My paleo leanings kept me from trying this out.

The latest and probably most promising product I've found is unmodified (raw) potato starch (RPS). RPS is widely noted as containing 78% RS by weight. Bob's Red Mill sells potato starch for under 15 bucks for 5 pounds. There may be other suppliers, if so, make sure you are buying 'unmodified' potato starch. Potato Starch is often modified for industrial purposes—you don't want that!
I have found the new flour mix that I am going to experiment with!
Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch plus Bob's Tapioca Starch. Even if you don't want to make cookies, pancakes or cakes. Please look into this as a daily supp of RS as he recommends.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen! I am thrilled to hear about your latest bb! I have another post coming up tomorrow about how young children, and I am talking very young, have had amazing improvements with autism/ADD by simply drinking bone broth. I have been following GAPS along with PHD since December and this is miraculous!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just 4 tbsp per day mixed in your green smoothie. It is only 2-3 cals per gram.

Tatertot~

Quote:
I also keep a container of potato starch on the counter and am finding all kinds of ways to use it--in smoothies, milk, kefir, mixed with water and eaten with berries and mashed bananas, or just mixed with water and drank.

In the several months I've been trying to get 20-60g/day RS, I have witnessed a lowering of fasting blood glucose from the 110-120 range to the 90's, hdl cholesterol increased from 35 (in Nov 12) to 59 last week, ldl lowered from 150 to 130, and triglycerides went from 60 to 50. Whether these improvements are soley from the RS is hard to say, but at least they didn't go in the other direction! It's hard to pin down the contributions of a healthy gut, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor to target an increase in RS, especially for people who are pre-diabetic or have high cholesterol.

An experiment I did recently with potato starch told me all I need to know. I have been tracking my fasting blood glucose and post-prandial resonse to carbs with a OneTouch glucose monitor. I know that a potato with 40g carbs will cause a PP glucose spike of over 175 at 1 hour and return to normal at 3 hours. I drank 44g of potato starch mixed with water on an empty stomach and checked my glucose level every 15 minutes...I never saw a rise in BG more than 5 points above my fasting level. This proved to me that potato starch causes absolutely no glycemic load. Furthermore, 4 hours later, I ate a large, plain potato and found that my 1 hour PP glucose level was under 140 and returned to normal in less than 2 hours! Thus proving to me that RS has a powerful 'Second Meal Effect" as described here. I think it will turn out that as far as Low Glycemic Index foods are concerned—raw potato starch is the lowest!
Nickolay~

Quote:
It's been two weeks or so since, at Tatertot's suggestion, I've usually been taking 4 tablespoons of Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch per day, stirred into milk or kefir (actually quite pleasant taste & texture, for me). The most prominent effects I've noticed (I don't prick my fingers, sorry):

Increased satiation. I go quite longer before wanting more milk, depending on whether the last time was with the potato starch or not.
TMI aspects are very, very good.
Prolonged sleep. Even though I'm a pretty good sleeper, I'm used to a few short stirs and wake-ups per night; but if I take 2T of the PS in a glass of milk before bed I have bouts of going 5-6 hours without a single wakeup.
Weirdest of all: I have these long-***, complex narrative dreams about current stuff in my life, instead of the more common, crazy-***ed, out-of-nowhere dreams that seem anxious and go on and on in a continuous loop, if you know what I mean. I suspect this is a consequence of #3, and not a direct link to whatever the PS/RS is doing to colonic gut flora, though I don't rule it out.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday~ wow great info on resistant starch. Using the potato starch sounds promising! I'm going to give it a try.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Sunday~ wow great info on resistant starch. Using the potato starch sounds promising! I'm going to give it a try.
Blonde, I am thinking that although some people can't do the tater hack, (issues with tummy ache/bloat or BS) they may be able to add a couple of tbsp per day to a smoothie. It is worth a looksee.
And the best thing is they need not worry about whether they can have any fat with just using the RS. It is a win/win for these people.

Last edited by sunday; 05-03-2013 at 07:07 AM..
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Great additional info to the previous discussion on resistant starch. Thanks!

I have been baking with the hi-maize resistant starch and banana starch for quite some time now, but maybe I will just add some potato starch to my smoothie. I have both the potato and tapioca in my cupboard as I was using it to make gluten free bread. If I can improve my cholesterol, I am all over it.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
In addition he mentioned that foods pickled in vinegar are not permitted but veggies fermented without vinegar are okay.

He has a website but we cannot link it here.
I will definitely check this out. Thanks so much.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

"I have found the new flour mix that I am going to experiment with!
Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch plus Bob's Tapioca Starch. Even if you don't want to make cookies, pancakes or cakes. Please look into this as a daily supp of RS as he recommends" Quote.

Ok I'm still pretty much a on this whole RS thing. Where do I buy potato starch. I don't think Netrition carries it, does it? Where can I study it to bring myself up to speed?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sunday, I have a lot reading to do....
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Thanks Sunday, I have a lot reading to do....
DITTO!