Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #421
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
The fat didn't seem necessarily high but more like unusual for you. I totally identify with the urge to experiment right now. So many possibilities.

I am quite happy today so far at 335 cal total for L+D. Could have a small snack and still be at my JUDDD DD 20% (390). Used 1T PS at each meal and had NoOdles for D so lots of filler for the day. Have been skulking about the JUDDD forum this afternoon to guage whether I really want to give it another try. With PHD on UD, it might be a whole new experience. Am boiling some potatoes for sometime in the next few days.
Great minds think alike! I have been thinking that once I get the swing of this, that I will definitely do the 5:2. With BRM of course. I am still doing 16:8, so I think the 2 days of 300-500 cals of tater would not be an issue.

I think next week, I will try the tater hack and see if I can lose like Shelbyla and Yennie are. I have a feeling my success will not be as good, but it is worth a try.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I think as long as we are cycling around in a high nutrient variety of food, the experimentation and a few low cal days will probably not hurt anything. I am feeling quite desperate to turn the weight gain around and get below 200.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #423
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know just the trick for the DD besides lots of water and a couple of tbsp of BRM.

My new fav potato is Baby Dutch Golden Potatoes. They are the best tasting of all potatoes IMHO. I just had a few sprinkled with dill relish and salt & pepper and it was amazing!

Just found this recipe for Baby Dutch Dill Potato Salad by
Sugar Dish Me foodie blog...

The only change I would make for DD, is to nix the honey and you should be good to go.
160 cals for 1/2 lb.

Quote:
Prep time
5 mins

Cook time
20 mins

Total time
25 mins

Author: Sugar Dish Me
Serves: 4

Ingredients

1 tablespoon kosher salt
1.5 pounds baby dutch yellow potatoes
½ cup red onion, very finely chopped
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon spicy mustard
½ teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon dried parsley (or 1 teaspoon chopped fresh)
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ cup chopped green onions

Instructions

Add the kosher salt to a 3 quart pot of water and bring it to a boil.
Carefully add the potatoes and cook until just fork-tender, about 12-14 minutes.
Drain and empty the potatoes into a large bowl. Toss them with the onions and set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the rice wine vinegar, spicy mustard, honey, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and sugar.
Drizzle in the olive oil and continue whisking until well combined.
Toss the potatoes and onions with the dressing.
Scatter the dill over the dressed potatoes.
Finish the salad by splashing red wine vinegar over it and then garnish with the green onions.
Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.

Last edited by sunday; 05-13-2013 at 05:00 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Feel great this morning. Will keep at my plan. Especially since I love everything PHD. I have discovered that I like oysters.
I love to know what veggies complement each other and since we are going into the growing season, this seemed like a great lesson on synergistic foods...

And my fav avocados goes well with tomatoes, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Synergy.jpg (46.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by sunday; 05-14-2013 at 06:21 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #425
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Good morning all.

I had two egg yolks and 4 oysters for breakfast! I tried to make it three egg yolks, but I lost one of them down the drain

I'm still continuing to consume mostly milk and kefir. My skin is becoming baby smooth! I am surprised by this; I always thought it was the milk that was making my skin dry (problem with dry hands). I had read it blocks vitamin A and caused chapped lips, so I thought this was the cause of dry skin

My knees feel really strong. I am walking much faster with far less knee pain. My legs feel strong. No hip pain. I might start my stair climbing again!

On the RS front: Hi-Maize causes me a lot more gas than the unmodified potato starch. I don't feel that incredible fullness effect today.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting about the High-Maize. I would think it would be the opposite, because unmodified potato starch is higher in RS. I am thrilled to know about the milk experiment. I have been drinking the cultured coconut milk and it taste identical to greek yogurt to me. I can't tell the difference.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I don't get it at all. I have the Bob's Red Mill unmodified potato starch and even used a heaping tablespoon last night (felt daring) and a level tablespoon at lunch yesterday. Completely peaceful today. Nothing going on down there at all.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #428
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KeyTones, Have you tried Triphala an Ayurvedic supplement? It is doing wonders for my digestion! I have only been taking this for one week and can't believe how well it is working.
I hesitate to take any supplements, especially eating PHD foods, because we are eating our nutrients, but this is one including Turmeric that I am convinced is a keeper and I want to pass on the good word.
It is a natural clean detoxifier plus it helps build up the digestive system with proper protection. Supports normal digestive function and supports the membrane lining of the digestive tract. It is made from 3 fruits that grow in India (Amla, Belleric Myrobalan and Chebulic Myrobalan). I purchased the Himalaya brand because I have used them before and knew that they are good quality organic.

From Web MD~

Quote:
Benefits of Triphala

There are a myriad of health benefits in Triphala. These benefits are proven by various scientific studies and research, as well as by first hand usage. Some of these health benefits are mentioned below.

Helps boost the immune system as it contains antioxidants
Helps fight bacteria that cause diseases
Helps maintain the right cholesterol balance
Helps cleanse the bowels
Helps with regular bowel movements
Helps to nourish and rejuvenate tissue
Helps fight cancer
Helps with asthma and other respiratory tract infections
Helps support a healthy urinary and reproductive system
Helps support the nervous system
Aids in weight loss
Triphala | MD-Health.com
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-14-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #429
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It sounds interesting. My experience with supplements is that I like to buy them for my cabinets!

I have been using the trader joes red and green powders - just a small half scoop of each per day. I think they might be overkill on antioxidants so I don't use much.

I didn't mean to imply no movement - just no side effects from the potato starch that I do get with the Hi-Maize. I know it is not supposed to produce gas, but it does.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to know. Yes, I did think you meant that you were becoming irregular. I sometimes misunderstand when I am reading others words.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday DD experimet went well. Today however compelled to graze all morning. Actually ate all PHD except 1/3c oats. If this is to be a JUDDD UD, I still have 900c left.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That should make an excellent dinner Cici! Are you experiencing any fullness from the BRM?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #433
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday the PS worked great. I wasn't full but not uncomfortable. That is saying a lot. I finished the day at either 330 or 480 (I added some calories at the end but can't remember if they were for the late tater so added the tater too). Yesterday’s smoothie du jour: 1 peeled kiwi, 1 peeled cucumber, 1 frozen banana, a pinch of seaweed, 1T potato starch, water to cover.

Today I had 1T in the morning but the PS did not help the need to eat. It may be because I started the day with oatmeal which I have in the house because of Fuhrman. I had a gnawing drive all morning and was craving all PHD foods (grapefruit/PS blended, liver, BB, tater, eggs plus some homemade portabella soup and kraut). Basically just didn't stop eating from 7 til 12:30 and never felt satisfied until I finished all that stuff. Being home alone means I can eat whatever and whenever I want.

My JUDs are generous at 1930 so tonight will be heavy on the veggies, maybe some butternut squash and see if anything else is needed. I really had enough protein already and am close on the starch too. Just want to nutrify enough to try another JDD tomorrow. I am certain that my nutrient balance must be a little delicate right now. Enough to go through a LCal day but needs to be replenished constantly. It is the only explanation for this morning's cravings being so healthy don't you think?

Don't intend to hijack the thread as I mix and match, but don't really want to make another appearance on the JUDDD forum until I know I can do the rotations. I got pretty sick and whiney before but was not making good food choices. Thanks for your patience as I muddle through.

Recipe thread for Metabolism Miracle

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I enjoy learning what is working for everyone. So, please keep us in the loop!
As far as JUDDD, I still enjoy fasting and since I switched to 16/8, I think it becomes rather confusing to everyone following JUDDD for me to post over there so I try not to be the distracter.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been reading over at PHD site and someone posted today the following question about fasting. I believe we should pay very close attention to signs when either fasting/exercise/sleep disturbances or even when we just feel "off", because the body will not be able to handle the stress if our adrenals are not functioning properly.

Question~
I'm wondering if anyone has PHD-related suggestions regarding low adrenals and sluggish liver. I'm only 6 weeks into PHD, and about 3 weeks ago I tried the intermittent fasting. I saw my acupuncturist that morning and she could tell from my pulse I hadn't eaten, and said that with my adrenal function being compromised it's very important for me not to skip meals. I hope to lose weight eventually, but getting healthy and strong is my top goal. Any thoughts?

Answers~
Eat. Eat. And then, eat some more. Definitely no fasting, good sleep, no cardio, no caffeine, no caloric deficit, look into liver detox and adrenal support supplements, possibly with a practitioner. Healthy adrenals and liver will help you lose weight.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, definately listen to the body. However, mine says eat, eat, eat some more a little too much.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hang in there Cici! I am praying that the RS helps everyone with this particular issue. I particularly like the bolded part of the below...

Quote:
Resistant Starch, Insulin Sensitivity and Appetite Control

Intestinal cells produce powerful gut hormones that have metabolic effects.

Studies have shown that RS increases the production of two important substances called Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) and PYY.[3] GLP-1 is a super important gut hormone that improves insulin production and sensitivity. Therefore, it promotes better blood sugar levels. Adiponectin is another substance that helps insulin sensitivity, and it increases somewhat with resistant starch intake as well[4].

This is not well known, but insulin also plays role in appetite signaling. When insulin is working well, it activates the production of something called POMC, a neurotransmitter produced in cells in an area of the brain called the hypothalamus. POMC inhibits appetite, and studies have found the POMC increases in subjects given Resistant Starch.[5]

PYY (peptide YY) is a small peptide made in intestinal cells after you eat. (A healthy gut should produce plenty of it.) When subjects are given RS, PYY production increases. This substance travels in the blood and sends a signal to the brain to shut down production of something called neuropeptide Y/agouti related protein (NPY/agRP), the neurotransmitter made in the brain that drives hunger.
So all of these factors combine to not only help insulin function better and prevent insulin resistance but to help control appetite. Multiple studies have shown that RS leads to lower calorie consumption
Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know what exactly sluggish liver means, but supplements can be a problem for someone with liver problems that might not be able to clear them.

Probably someone who is not eating could be a bit dehydrated. If you have ever been to the doc when they need to draw blood and you arrive like this, they know when they can't find a vein.

If run down, one needs to eat. I don't know what Jaminet says about all this.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Hope so. Tonight, since I had lots of calories, I polished of gb most ov an avocado mashed with a tater. Feel full to sick point.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT,
I believe the supps that she is speaking about were RX'd to help her adrenals. Some who suffer with adrenal fatigue may need Isocort or even Raw Adrenals.

I agree that taking too many prescriptions/supplements/chemicals will definitely take it's toll on the liver. Paul's book is specifically written for this purpose as he praises the benefits of whole foods and nutrition for purpose of regaining good health.

Last edited by sunday; 05-14-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now. Helped along by Juddd
X

Hi everybody. Sorry to do a drive by.
Tried a fuhrman kick after reading Ouiz. I was hoping to shift my headache levels. I get lots of them.
Holy moly, something didn't work. The green smoothie for breakfast was delicious, but the 1/2 banana combined with no protein left me whacked and starving by 10am. I held out for two days and went back at meat like a bulldozer. Any thoughts from the pros?
Other than that I do some quasi-DDs, some potatoes, lots of broth, and whatever else looks wonderful. And I was happier when I was ten pounds lighter. I'm guessing ten. Haven't weighed myself since before Christmas.
Life could be a lot worse, I know, but I'm open to suggestions.
Nice to see everybody.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Kristin,

A few of us are experimenting right now.

I have been doing about 1,000-1200 cals a day in the 8 hour window of pure PHD foods. I posted a few sample menus, but the short of it is, each day has 3 egg yolks, 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tbs grassfed butter, 1 oz liver, 3 sardines, 3 oysters, seaweed, fermented kimchi/kraut/kvass, potato/BB, 2 brazil nuts, & a small portion of dark chocolate. Which by the way, usually causes me to run out of cals. Sporadically, I have thrown in a green smoothie w/ fermented coconut milk, apples/peach/blueberry and I have been supp'ing w/ resistant starch in the form of Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch, triphala, and turmeric.

I did this 5 days last week, Sat & Sun are my free days and lost 2 lbs. So, I am doing the same this week and see if it nets a better loss. I am contemplating doing another potato hack, but just want to see if I can squeak out weight loss the nutritious way.

I have been reading up on the PHD facebook group and it seems that the ones who are the most successful w/ weight loss say that the "holy grail" is the liver, bone broth & fermentation. I am going to add a 4th to this magic as the lovely tater.

So good to see you!

Last edited by sunday; 05-14-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and about your headaches, I don't know if you and I have discussed this before, but my daughter has the worst hormonal migraines ever. She is seeing a doctor about the issue and he put her on therapeutic magnesium glycinate and B2 (riboflavin) and she says that so far, she has been migraine free. I am praying this is the answer!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Kristen. Tried Fuhrman. Tummy troubles after 4-5 days. .
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

Cici, I have an iron gut, thank goodness. At least you can take that one off your list of possibilities.
Sunday, thanks for the headache stuff. And one ounce of liver????! That makes me laugh. What do you do, just inhale as you walk by the kitchen?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristin,
I thought you would find this interesting. Remember Dr. Jeff Volek? "The Art & Science of Low Carb Living"? Well... he now promotes resistant starch. I don't know if he just recently began this path, but he did a pretty indepth research paper linked below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Seabreezes, None of us know for certain what we are doing!
We are taking the potato starch purely as an experiment based on reading the research.

However, in my searches on the web, their is a site for weightloss and athletes specifically, that sells and promotes an energy drink that is based on "superstarch" and goes by the name of UCAN. Interestingly, Dr. Jeff Volek, who wrote the book, "The Art & Science of Low Carb Living" is one of the testimonials for this SuperStarch.

From UCAN site~

Here is his research paper...

http://generationucan.com/pdf/techni...innovation.pdf

This energy drink with the superstarch is very expensive. Thus the reason that we went with Bob's Red Mill. I think Ouiz is mixing with her smoothie which sounds much better than mixing with water. I have tried both ways and it absolutely does not have any taste, except for a tad taterish.

Please report back on your findings. We are enjoying learning on this new path of starchiness.

Last edited by sunday; 05-14-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I've been reading the rs stuff with interest. What on earth were they using potato starch for before this? (I'll look it up.)
Evades doesn't like it. Does that mean Taubes, Tim Noakes, et al would dislike it too?
Holy confusing.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

Does Ouiz find it keeps her full? And not whacked? I'll look up her posts. Thanks for this.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Hi everybody. Sorry to do a drive by.
Tried a fuhrman kick after reading Ouiz. I was hoping to shift my headache levels. I get lots of them.
Holy moly, something didn't work. The green smoothie for breakfast was delicious, but the 1/2 banana combined with no protein left me whacked and starving by 10am. I held out for two days and went back at meat like a bulldozer. Any thoughts from the pros?
Other than that I do some quasi-DDs, some potatoes, lots of broth, and whatever else looks wonderful. And I was happier when I was ten pounds lighter. I'm guessing ten. Haven't weighed myself since before Christmas.
Life could be a lot worse, I know, but I'm open to suggestions.
Nice to see everybody.
Ah, I can't do Furhman. I tried - I have his book and DVDs. I was never so sick!

I have a friend at work that does a Furhman kick once in a while. Her husband loses 20 pounds making his various juice recipes with a Vitamix (I bought the Vitamix for this diet too). THen, they start eating regular food again and he gains it all back. My friend is alway slim regardless of what she eats (I will never know what that is like).

My mom claimed that fresh food made her sick. I know what she means. If I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, I really do feel ill. She said her allergist told her to cook her fruits and vegetables or at least eat canned. There is no way I am eating canned food (the horror!!!).

RE: headaches - after half my life passed, I finally figured out what causes headaches for me. Amines. Canned food, chocolate (especially imported European chocolate because of the way it is made), dried fruits, wine, any kind of aged food - that is what does it to me. It is TERRIBLE when I get into these things! So, after I finally figured it out, it seems like everyone knows these things cause headaches. I am a little leary of canned oysters for this reason - I don't eat too many at once.

Last edited by Key Tones; 05-14-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sunday, thanks for the headache stuff. And one ounce of liver????! That makes me laugh. What do you do, just inhale as you walk by the kitchen?
I don't inhale. I sauce it and then I sauce it and then I dose.

Quote:
Sunday, I've been reading the rs stuff with interest. What on earth were they using potato starch for before this? (I'll look it up.)
Evades doesn't like it. Does that mean Taubes, Tim Noakes, et al would dislike it too?
Holy confusing.
Eades may never support this and that is okay. Kresser, Lalonde, Jaminet, and TaterTot are in.

Quote:
Does Ouiz find it keeps her full? And not whacked? I'll look up her posts. Thanks for this.
I am hoping she comes by and adds her experience w/ RS.

I hope everyone that is doing this RS experiment won't forget to relay good or bad how they are doing? It is very important to start out slow. Lots of side effects.

Last edited by sunday; 05-15-2013 at 07:52 AM..