Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #391
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
KT, Are you experiencing any more fullness? I think a break on the RS every few days is probably a good thing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I finally was hungry yesterday afternoon and had a bit of kefir and then went out for a sushi dinner. As I walked away from the restaurant, I felt a little nauseous until my tummy settled down.

Go easy on the resistant starch - I agree with easing into it!

I am starting my daughter (18) on it. She has regained her weight she lost on the potato hack, poor thing. She is living in a dorm and is required to eat on campus (I'm not kidding, they take your food money up front and you forfeit it if it is not used up by the end of the school year). I think she is getting a lot of hidden oil in her food (pray it is not soybean oil, but you know it probably is).

She makes her own dinner, she says, and just eats lunch on campus and uses the rest of the food money on coffee and bottled water. She drinks a LOT of cold instant coffee with milk, so I am going to have her try adding the RS to that.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Blonde, I think the only thing you have to worry about is not heating the potato starch.

I'm now trying to find the hi maize locally. Think it will have to come in the mail! Lot of interesting articles about it.

Sunday, black eyed peas that you soak over night and cook on low heat have a huge mount of RS! In case you get a longing for them!

Looks like I will have to cook my own beans if I want them!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

@ KT~Be sure to warn her about the *wind* side effects. I finally got through that, but it was very annoying. I will read more this evening and let you all know if I learn anything new about our RS science project.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post

Sunday, black eyed peas that you soak over night and cook on low heat have a huge mount of RS! In case you get a longing for them!
Oh my, I have been craving black eye peas! I love them mixed w/ a bit of white rice/jalapeno/bits of bacon. Hmmm, wondering if eating the peas cold would also be better?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Oh my, I have been craving black eye peas! I love them mixed w/ a bit of white rice/jalapeno/bits of bacon. Hmmm, wondering if eating the peas cold would also be better?
You have to eat them cold to get the starch, I think. The recipes in the book I talked about earlier had the beans in salads. You could make a rice salad with the ingredients you listed.

Enjoy your Mother's Day!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Need brain power today? Want to score high on a test? Take a dose of coconut oil!

MCT Fats Found In Coconut Oil Boost Brain Function In Only One Dose

MCT Fats Found In Coconut Oil Boost Brain Function In Only One Dose | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information

Definitely don't intend to leave CO out of my diet. Last year, Dr. started me on a new medicine and I noticed people standing around my bed at night. No, not ghosts, but not real either. I hightailed it to the Dr. and he got me off meds but it didn't stop the visitors. So he said to try Aricept. If it was a form of dementia, this would nip it in the bud. After 3 days, never saw them again. And doing NK and LC for 3 mo should be helping with the problem. But I'm not gonna stop with my medicine. No side effects, not expensive and easy. Why would I.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Definitely don't intend to leave CO out of my diet. Last year, Dr. started me on a new medicine and I noticed people standing around my bed at night. No, not ghosts, but not real either. I hightailed it to the Dr. and he got me off meds but it didn't stop the visitors. So he said to try Aricept. If it was a form of dementia, this would nip it in the bud. After 3 days, never saw them again. And doing NK and LC for 3 mo should be helping with the problem. But I'm not gonna stop with my medicine. No side effects, not expensive and easy. Why would I.
Lindy, that must have been scary. Want to wish you well in your travels. Will miss you.

Blonde, regarding the potato starch: I think the rules you are thinking about were for the potato hack which is based on another concept. For the purpose of fat burning the purest potato hack was without protein or fat so it would spike the BS/insulin response and pulls fat from the body for the liver to use in the process. Since many of us cannot handle the spike, doing the hack with the resistant starch intact evolved to minimize the spike. The resistant starch we are trying to get as a part of the normal diet would actually lower the BS/insulin response and keep us satiated longer as it also aids in gut health and some other things. It can get really confusing when we look at so many different ideas and almost every thing we try gets personalized to our own needs. Sometimes I think I need a graph to keep all the ideas, plans and sub-plans straight and remember why I am doing any one particular thing.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You have to eat them cold to get the starch, I think. The recipes in the book I talked about earlier had the beans in salads. You could make a rice salad with the ingredients you listed.

Enjoy your Mother's Day!
Wow, does that sound good. That will be my lunch tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #400
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Lindy, that must have been scary. Want to wish you well in your travels. Will miss you.

Blonde, regarding the potato starch: I think the rules you are thinking about were for the potato hack which is based on another concept. For the purpose of fat burning the purest potato hack was without protein or fat so it would spike the BS/insulin response and pulls fat from the body for the liver to use in the process. Since many of us cannot handle the spike, doing the hack with the resistant starch intact evolved to minimize the spike. The resistant starch we are trying to get as a part of the normal diet would actually lower the BS/insulin response and keep us satiated longer as it also aids in gut health and some other things. It can get really confusing when we look at so many different ideas and almost every thing we try gets personalized to our own needs. Sometimes I think I need a graph to keep all the ideas, plans and sub-plans straight and remember why I am doing any one particular thing.
Funny you should mention that, it didn't faze me. Shocked my kids to death. But I knew they weren't real. Just glad I wasn't going nuts.
I put 1 T RS in my BB (lukewarm) last night and it was amazing. Hope I can handle it.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Good news from my dad tonight. Started him on 1 heaping spoon of homemade fermented cabbage/beets a couple weeks ago. This chronic pain patient who is on lots of pain meds and has been hospitalized with cellulitis several times with high doses of antibiotics has been going without the aid of suppositories for the first time in years. He has backed down to only eating it a couple times a week now.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good news from my dad tonight. Started him on 1 heaping spoon of homemade fermented cabbage/beets a couple weeks ago. This chronic pain patient who is on lots of pain meds and has been hospitalized with cellulitis several times with high doses of antibiotics has been going without the aid of suppositories for the first time in years. He has backed down to only eating it a couple times a week now.
WOW!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Great news!!! How gratifying for you.

On another note, my stats are ok today. 1398 calories
92 g fat, 78.4 g. carb, 57.4 g. protein. That's 60 % /23%/17% Started on my RS and will have another tonight before bed.

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 05-11-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Just a wee little morning whine on my part...

I don't know how all of you with very busy lives do it. I clearly see why we moved to fast food and processed food in this nation. Trying to be healthy is so time consuming!! Even with the internet. Researching, sourcing, trying to find products, running around and buying ingredients from multiple places, ordering online and processing stuff at home. Making bone broth, making fermented veges, making my kefir and kombucha, growing and processing all of my herbs, homemade mayo and salad dressings, liver pate, baking from scratch and then cleaning up after all this. I feel like this takes hours! Plus trying to exercise, get in daily sunlight, daily socializing, enough sleep...
I know I don't have to do all of that and can buy sauerkraut and kombucha, but I am also trying to keep costs down and being healthy is expensive.

Oh and even the plantain chips. Soaking the plantain, peeling, slicing and drying them and turning and waiting and turning. I think I won't be doing that often either as the yield is very small.

Just needed to get that out and I will now Keep Calm and PHD.

Wow, that's just awesome. Can I come and live at your house? You're the perfect PHD Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Blonde, wasn't it you that suggested the soup of normandy vegetables blended with butternut squash in bone broth? I did this earlier in the week with some cut up squash from whole foods (they had something other than butternut - can't remember what but it was orange) and didn't think I liked it (didn't use much salt), but I tried it last night cold, and I thought it was delicious! I love it cold, isn't that odd?

Thank you!
I love making creamed soups with steamed Normandy veg! I like it cold too! It's very comfort-food like to me and ultra low cal.

Quote:
Blonde, I think the only thing you have to worry about is not heating the potato starch.

I'm now trying to find the hi maize locally. Think it will have to come in the mail! Lot of interesting articles about it.

OMG! I love black eyed peas, it's been years. I wouldn;t mind eating them cold, either. Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
When I was taking Welbutrin (to help stop smoking) on day 13 I sat on my back patio and watched my wrought iron rabbit eat grass. There was no day 14. Glad you're better, but I'll bet it gets lonely...

Quote:
Oh thank you Cici!! Yes, it does get confusing! I need to lower my BS/insulin response. That was one of the reasons that I forgot to remember...

Quote:
That is good news!! Yay!

This thread moves like lightening! I'm going to take another dose of PS and see if I get the 'freakies" again. I'm so neurotic, sometimes. Okay a lot of the time.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-11-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Sunday~ thanks so much for all the great stuff you post and your loving responses to our trials and tribulations!

Lindy~ most local libraries have free internet, come and see us when you can!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Sunday~ thanks so much for all the great stuff you post and your loving responses to our trials and tribulations!

Lindy~ most local libraries have free internet, come and see us when you can!
Thanks, I will keep in touch. Wellbutrin is what gave my daughter Brandi seizures for several years. Even stopping the med. They finally ceased a few years ago.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Getting ready to go. Just a note. I was in kind of a panic yesterday because even though I had the calories down I was up 2 lbs. But it is going down again. Only .4 but until I get all my stuff I can't be on the best regimen. I plan to let the weight even out. If it is up, I'm doing something wrong. It is fixable. Happy Mothers day. My DD bought me a lovely pot plant to take to my new home. Sweet. I truly do have loving daughters.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I don't know what happened to me today, but I feel incrediby good!

Maybe it was the Mother's Day chocolate!

I also bought some grass-fed milk last night. I couln't believe my eyes. I compared it side by side to regular whole milk. I couldn't detect a difference in taste, just mouth feel (it was not homogenized, but it was pasturized). The grass fed is rather yellow. Woot!

I definately can tell the difference between Kerrygold and regular butter, so I thought the milk would taste different as well.

I can't see doing the milk cure on grass fed milk. One quart was more than $5.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, It could have been the RS, especially if you haven't been counting the cals. Each tbsp is 40 cals.

And if you have had GERD, IBS, or Celiacs, the word is to go slow with the RS. I have never had any IBS that I know of, but I certainly had to back down. I am on a break until my bloat leaves. I can see this as an excellent fasting tool, though, because there is no way that I would be hungry on RS. It completely fills me up past the point of satiation.

Here is quite a bit of great info on RS, in fact, his whole site is very interesting regarding digestive health~

Resistant Starch - Friend or Foe? | Digestive Health InstituteDigestive Health Institute

KT, I am very interested to hear how you are doing on RS? Did you have to take a break too?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Although, my results weren't fantastic, I came in at almost 2 lbs lost for 5 days of 1100 cals in PHD only meals. So, I am going to do this week the same only I will change up my meals. I was so sated by Saturday, that I had to go without any RS through Sunday in order to rid myself of the fullness. I will have all of my protein for my 10:00 am breakfast 3 yolks, 3 sardines, salmon, beef or shrimp. Then just potatoes for dinner. I will still be at around 1100 cals per day just 2 meals and see how I feel energy wise.

I started eating everything I wanted on Sat and I was so over sated from the RS that I really didn't eat much at all. Yesterday we had the PHD Shrimp Fried Rice. I still didn't eat very much, but did enjoy strawberries and cream.

I would love to know if anyone else had the same feeling that I had with the RS.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am not sure what happened, but I posted to this yesterday and it doesn't show?

Cici, This is wonderful news!!!
I have been eating my fermented veggies every single day! I am going to learn how to make the Kimchi that is on the PHD site. I also want to make Beet Kvass.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #412
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday - I didn't eat breakfast or lunch for a day due to fullness, but I did continue with the RS at dinner that night.

I don't know about results yet because I went out for Mother's Day on Saturday and then received chocolates on Sunday (a little embarassed; I had 6 pieces).

My daughter is not doing well. She has put on a substantial amount of weight (I don't know how much). She is eating food on campus. I suspect she does not know what she is eating. Perhaps she is mixing potatoes with other foods. I don't think she is telling me everything. I gave her some of the unmodified potato starch. Her jeans don't fit - she took a pair of my jeans that I was wearing when I was much heavier. That really worries me.

I just told her about the not mixing potatoes wtih other foods for 4 hours. I am so worried.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Happy monday everyone!

KT- how wonderful that you felt so good!! woo hoo!

Sunday- two pounds lost in 5 days IS wonderful. Good going on your experiment! It's good to change up what you are going to eat.

Cici- I am so happy about your dad. Something as simple as a jheaping spoon of fermented food- WOW! Very happy for him!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Although, my results weren't fantastic, I came in at almost 2 lbs lost for 5 days of 1100 cals in PHD only meals. So, I am going to do this week the same only I will change up my meals. I was so sated by Saturday, that I had to go without any RS through Sunday in order to rid myself of the fullness. I will have all of my protein for my 10:00 am breakfast 3 yolks, 3 sardines, salmon, beef or shrimp. Then just potatoes for dinner. I will still be at around 1100 cals per day just 2 meals and see how I feel energy wise.

I started eating everything I wanted on Sat and I was so over sated from the RS that I really didn't eat much at all. Yesterday we had the PHD Shrimp Fried Rice. I still didn't eat very much, but did enjoy strawberries and cream.

I would love to know if anyone else had the same feeling that I had with the RS.
This is a very nice problem to have!

This sounds very promising - two pounds - that is great!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Nice, Sunday!

KT, sorry about your DD's weight issues. Tough when it starts so early in life and at that age most young people are not receptive to parental advice. You might try getting rid of your bigger clothes so she has to face her own reality. In the end, she is the only one who can choose her woe because at her age, mom just doesn't have much control.

Another yummy smoothy at noon. Cucumber, kiwi, banana, PS, water. Today started out so comfortable without eating until noon that I decided to experiment with a DD. Have some fruit and miso soup planned for later.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, so true.

I kept the flour/sugar/industrial seed oils out of the house.

I can't make a clean campus
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT,
I know how you must feel. I remember when my daughter started college. I have watched so many freshmen gain weight the first year out of the home, but OTOH it seems like there is a lot of peer pressure to try and get in shape, either workout or go to the gym also. Hopefully, she finds something that she likes whether it is biking, running, tennis or racquetball, that will encourage her to watch her WOE as well. I starting running my first year and it became an obsession, I wish that I had that same passion now.

Friends, I am in complete disbelief, I could barely eat all of my breakfast. I still feel like I ate a log and it is about 3 hours later. Not sure what to think? I would be concerned, but I am having normal regularity. So the plumbing is working.
I wish Tatertot could advise me. I guess I need to go to him and ask a question about this. I had 3 yolks, sardines, 1/2 tomato & 1/4 cup of artichoke and small amount of kraut. About 450 cals, which is a lot, but my goodness!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Is it normal for you to have the yolks and sardines at the same meal? Just wondering if they contribute more fat than you are used to having at one time. No RS?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I agree on the fat being high for breakfast, I can't have lunch, so trying to make this a 2 meal per day week. Thus, the reason for having my RS at the end of the day. Just a little trial experiment for now. My totals for the day are 53/27/20. I will have a smoothie day tomo. It has now been 5 hours and I am still NOT hungry.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

The fat didn't seem necessarily high but more like unusual for you. I totally identify with the urge to experiment right now. So many possibilities.

I am quite happy today so far at 335cal total for L+D. Could have a small snack and still be at my JUDDD DD 20% (390). Used 1T PS at each meal and had NoOdles for D so lots of filler for the day. Have been skulking about the JUDDD forum this afternoon to guage whether I really want to give it another try. With PHD on UD, it might be a whole new experience. Am boiling some potatoes for sometime in the next few days.