Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Key Tones,
We want you to post here whether you eat PHD or not. I hope that everyone feels free to post their results of RS or tater hack or whatever. I am curious about the milk cure? Could you tell me more?

Thanks!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
My BFF and I went to a gluten free bakery here to get a cake for her DH's birthday. Holy cow, a 10" cake cost $90!!! Must be made of golden potato starch! Or some pretty fancy decorating going on. Heck, I might go into the business! A loaf of rosemary bread is $11.00. But people were clammoring to get stuff at this store. I try to limit my gluten free products because they can be triggers for me, but this place makes one heck of a delicious rosemary bread. And a pat on the back for myself as I got out of the stores without buying any chocolate bars.
You really could start a business! GF & Allergen free. It would be awesome.

My daughter lives in Ft. Worth and both she and DSL work downtown but live in the burbs. Anyway, we noticed that there are no GF bakeries or even allergen free! Her son has peanut/egg allergies. So we discussed that this is a real need! We have tossed it around that if she ever decides to start a new business, they should go into the GF/Allergen free bakery business. She searches high and low for goodies for her 2 year old and especially for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, Easter & Halloween. I told her they could advertise around the public and private schools, I have a feeling that she would do well.

The cake that cost $90 actually cost $20 to make. So, I say charge double plus a bit more and you still have made off well. Maybe $55. I would pay $55 and be thrilled to have gluten free, allergen free.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-09-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Whew! I cannot keep up with this thread!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post

I was the one who asked if baking with it would be a good way to get it in. If what is stated here is correct, then baking would ruin it?
I had Hi-Maize in my house for over a year and was afraid to cook with it because I'd read that the RS is changed when it's heated. However, I found that HM is not altered when you cook with it.

I've mentioned this before, but I just want to reiterate that one way you can test different starches (potato starch, corn starch, Hi-Maize) is boil them in some water. If they thicken, the RS is "gone"; if it doesn't thicken, it's intact.

From the King Arthur website:
Quote:
Regular corn has a gelatinization temperature that is lower than most cooking and baking temperatures, so it breaks apart and becomes highly digestible (high glycemic) when cooking. In contrast, Hi-maize high amylose cornstarch has a gelatinization temperature that is higher than most cooking and baking temperatures, so it maintains its natural starch granule and thus its resistant starch content upon cooking. For example, you could boil Hi-maize resistant starch in water and it still won't thicken or break down the granules.
I tried using Hi-Maize to make gravy, and while it was very tasty and crunchy after I toasted it, it didn't thicken the gravy at all.

HM is the only starch I've tried that works this way.
Netrition has another type of RS but, since it's made of wheat, I've never bought it.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Very interesting, PJ. The potato starch does thicken things, so does that mean it won't work as RS? Maybe just using it in cold things?

Guess I will have to try to find the Hi maze.......

I did read somewhere that you wanted non gelatinized potato starch. Maybe there is more than one kind. I just looked at the bag and it said it was great for thickening things!

I watched the Dr. Oz video where they cooked with RS on his show and they used the corn.

Last edited by Seabreezes; 05-09-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Very interesting, PJ. The potato starch does thicken things, so does that mean it won't work as RS? Maybe just using it in cold things?
Yes, you can use it in cold things. The starch is still resistant if you don't heat it up.

(If you heat it and cool it, some of the RS may re-form but it will be much lower.)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seabreeze, Just make sure that you have UNMODified Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch. Otherwise, I am not sure that it will have the amount that is necessary.

PJ! How is it going with your RS? I am giving myself a break today. I think it may have to be something I work up to.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
I might have a problem with RS. Due to stomach surgery a thousand years ago, I have the capacity to hold about 2/3 of a normal stomach. That's why I had such a problem with NK. The great amount of meat and fat was necessary for weight loss and I was miserable most of the time. Maybe I can drink RS right when I get up and before bedtime.

Still it's all very encouraging on the health aspect. I'm definitely putting weight loss on the back burner for a while. Still sticking to 1200 or so calories. I don't have all my right foods. Going to try to ferment veggies next week. But I need try to make my own mayo and maybe order some stevia. One day at a time.
Please go slow with the RS! I would introduce it at a small amount for a week and then work up to 3 tbs per day. I am having some discomfort and it is from the fullness!

I love Bubbies for the fermentation, but you may have time to make your own. I will be linking some good sites for info on making kimchi & saurkraut.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I haven't been having any trouble with being uncomfortable on the PS but have been a bit flatulent. Okay at home (single gal here) but not what I would wish on others.

Last night I cooked lambs liver (my first lamb liver) with slices of natural beef sausage and onions. It was a very nice combination as the flavors of each influenced the others.

I need a theory check. Seems I have read that most toxins reside in the fat and blood of animals. I do not get grassfed meat, but do defat as much as possible and get rid of as much blood as possible. My theory is that I am getting rid of most toxins as well as the omega 6 fats by doing this. I do eat hormone and antibiotic free lamb and veal for the most part. Occasionally chicken. I don't have a trusted source for beef/pork so limit to about a pound/mo. The paleo community that recommends only grassfed is also recommending eating the fat so they would be eating the part that contains most the toxins. I am just wondering if my plan/thinking is sound.

Recipe thread for Metabolism Miracle

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici,
If you have a chance to read Chris Kresser's site he has a lot of good info on toxins and meat. Today he actually has a podcast titled "Early Evidence for Meat Consumption, The Cholesterol Controversy, and Additional Magnesium Sources". He is a big fan of duck liver/pate which I am anxious to try. I enjoy reading him and he follows PHD principles which helps me to discover the latest new research.

Kresser's podcast
Blubrry PowerPress Player
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
those of you who have a Trader Joes, the GF flour (potato/rice/tapioca blend) is great

Ouiz, thanks for that tip! I've been wondering what would be a good choice of GF flour.

Quote:
I noticed that about the aggressive nature of people on that board. I hate that!
Ditto! Good job on enjoying the liver. I don't know if I can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
River site?
Me too, then I got it!! The biggest river in the rain forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I may need to take a day off or two from drinking RS. I feel as if I could pop and that is being generous!

Does anyone else feel this way? I could barely eat my lunch. Really did not have the appetite. Is this good? I hope so.

Sounds good to me!! I'm getting mine today (if there's any left at Sprouts) You did say start slowly? 1T at a time? Do you takes yours all at once or at intervals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post

Plant Family - Vegetable Greens

Brassicaceae/Cruciferae - Kale, collards, arugula, turnip, cabbage, bok choy, radish greens, mustard greens, broccoli

Amaranthaceae/chenopodiaceae - Spinach, chard, beet, lambsquarters

Asteraceae - Dandelion, leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce

Apiaceae - Parsley, cilantro
Fantastic Cici, thanks for this great list!

Quote:
Thanks, Sunday. It falls in line with the seasonal eating woe.

Here is a question for the masses. How important is presentation to your daily woe? I find that as I explore new foods, I am finding some new flavor profiles that I enjoy but often I wouldn't even think of serving them to someone else. I put them in my people chow catagory. Wholesome but not pretty. What about you?
Not so much for me but DH won't eat anything that isn't pretty on the plate or in the bowl.

Quote:
I also got a loaf of Johann's gluten free bread. It is yummy and tastes even better than the bread I have been baking and way way easier. Today I had a lovely sardine sandwich with Kerrygold butter and watercress.

My BFF and I went to a gluten free bakery here to get a cake for her DH's birthday. Holy cow, a 10" cake cost $90!!! Must be made of golden potato starch! Or some pretty fancy decorating going on. Heck, I might go into the business! A loaf of rosemary bread is $11.00. But people were clammoring to get stuff at this store. I try to limit my gluten free products because they can be triggers for me, but this place makes one heck of a delicious rosemary bread. And a pat on the back for myself as I got out of the stores without buying any chocolate bars.
I LOVE Johann's Bakery bread! It was the first kind I ever tried and it's put me off for trying or eating any other GF bread! Re: the expensive cake, Holy dollar$$$ signs!!! I imagine it costs money to maintain a GF bakery but that is a crazy amount for a 10 inch cake. They can probably certify everything is GF, which is very important for people with celiacs. I'm glad I have intolerance to GF and not Celiacs.

Jenny thanks for the info on Hi Maize!

KT I would also be interested in the 411 on the 'milk cure'. I got a bad hip.

Lindy, good to see you, and I'm glad your doing well.

Dawn, I too hope you get to go!!

Hi MTemple!! What an adorable Corgi! I love seeing the 'pet' avatars.

I finally requested PHD from my local library, I'm excited...but still may not eat the liver.
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 05-10-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Has anyone ever wondered if the Dr OZ show is some kind of sociology experiment? A way to see how easily people can be manipulated into buying products and clearing the shelves? How about stock market insider trading? Everyone producing the show knows which products will be touted on a particular day. I'm really not a conspiracy theorist...although I do have menopausal memory lapse...or Deja Vu. Have I asked this question here before??? OMG.
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #342
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, On the liver... just take the freeze dried capsules. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
I haven't been having any trouble with being uncomfortable on the PS but have been a bit flatulent. Okay at home (single gal here) but not what I would wish on others.

Last night I cooked lambs liver (my first lamb liver) with slices of natural beef sausage and onions. It was a very nice combination as the flavors of each influenced the others.

I need a theory check. Seems I have read that most toxins reside in the fat and blood of animals. I do not get grassfed meat, but do defat as much as possible and get rid of as much blood as possible. My theory is that I am getting rid of most toxins as well as the omega 6 fats by doing this. I do eat hormone and antibiotic free lamb and veal for the most part. Occasionally chicken. I don't have a trusted source for beef/pork so limit to about a pound/mo. The paleo community that recommends only grassfed is also recommending eating the fat so they would be eating the part that contains most the toxins. I am just wondering if my plan/thinking is sound.
Morning ladies, hope your day is going good. I'm doing fine, down .8 in two days. Getting ready for my move on Sunday. I'm taking a lot of food and stuff with me as Freida has nothing in her pantry.
Also, my kitchen scale to weight food and my own new scales I bought. Got them at the river site (now I know what to call it)

Cici, I was on the PHD website and that question was ask about grassfed beef vs regular beef and Paul said you do what you have to do. Although grassfed is best eat what you can (making bone broth) and the only thing he was adamant about was the organs. They have the most toxins and he said they positively needed to be grassfed. Price wise that's what I'll have to do.

Sunday, I will only take 1 T day of RS. It shouldn't be too hard. I only had about 5 oz of meat yesterday and I did fine.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy,
I smile great big every time I read your posts. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Please go slow with the RS! I would introduce it at a small amount for a week and then work up to 3 tbs per day. I am having some discomfort and it is from the fullness!

I love Bubbies for the fermentation, but you may have time to make your own. I will be linking some good sites for info on making kimchi & saurkraut.
This is just what I recommended awhile back. I think that kind of goes for anything you are ingesting. Each body reacts differently and sometimes it takes an adjustment period. I had even been taking it for awhile and jumped up quite a bit and got the insomnia from hades! It's just good advice to take things sloly and sometimes I ignore what I know is best!

Quote:

When you build it up, the flatulence does go away. Thank heaven for that. I was afraid to go in public.

I was just reading about liver the other day and people worrying about the toxins in it. The article was talking about how the toxins are stored in the fatty tissues. I am kind of thinking your theory is a good one about avoiding the fats when you don't have a really trusted source. I think it was Chris Kresser who had an article on this.

Quote:
Cici,
If you have a chance to read Chris Kresser's site he has a lot of good info on toxins and meat. Today he actually has a podcast titled "Early Evidence for Meat Consumption, The Cholesterol Controversy, and Additional Magnesium Sources". He is a big fan of duck liver/pate which I am anxious to try. I enjoy reading him and he follows PHD principles which helps me to discover the latest new research.

Kresser's podcast
Blubrry PowerPress Player
Wow that is good to hear as that is what I have been eating. Duck liver pate. That is the stuff I thought was really good and can get the worst liver hater to think it is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

Ditto! Good job on enjoying the liver. I don't know if I can do it.
Blonde, if I can do it you can. Get a piece of the Johann's bread and toast it. Spread some duck liver pate on it. If you like red onion, top with a few pieces and some fresh sweet tomato. It is actually good!
Quote:
Sounds good to me!! I'm getting mine today (if there's any left at Sprouts) You did say start slowly? 1T at a time? Do you takes yours all at once or at intervals?
I know you are talking to Sunday, but I would start at 1 T at a time and I personally do not take mine all at once.

Quote:
I LOVE Johann's Bakery bread! It was the first kind I ever tried and it's put me off for trying or eating any other GF bread! Re: the expensive cake, Holy dollar$$$ signs!!! I imagine it costs money to maintain a GF bakery but that is a crazy amount for a 10 inch cake. They can probably certify everything is GF, which is very important for people with celiacs. I'm glad I have intolerance to GF and not Celiacs.
I have had many awful gluten free breads before trying this. I think this is so good I may not make my gluten free baquette any more. The bakery is in Encinitis. I have to say though I hope they survive. It is a well-to-do area, so maybe they can keep it going. The rosemary bread is delicious. They have an assortment of BEAUTIFUL mini cupcakes of all different varieties. It would take you forever to make something like that at home. The red velvet is really good. They have a really good pizza too. The sweets have real sugar though. The 90$ cake is a specialty cake, but still the prices are so high. For a very special birthday or event, it is worth it to so many with allergies and all to have something like this. They have dairy-free cupcakes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Has anyone ever wondered if the Dr OZ show is some kind of sociology experiment? A way to see how easily people can be manipulated into buying products and clearing the shelves? How about stock market insider trading? Everyone producing the show knows which products will be touted on a particular day. I'm really not a conspiracy theorist...although I do have menopausal memory lapse...or Deja Vu. Have I asked this question here before??? OMG.
Hahaha.... it's a possibility, but probably not. Things advertised on TV go like crazy. I mean, look at books. Oprah's book club used to make an author a millionaire overnight.
I think the same thing even happens on these boards we are on. We talk about a supplement or a hack and we all jump on board. We are pretty much a knowledge hungry group and looking for the thing that is going to work for us and help us get healthy. We love to read research and learn! I sometimes feel ridiculous that I just jump in trying new supplements and hacks and all, but I really am looking for what works for me. I want to be healthy and well. I also want to be a healthy weight. My nutrition guru calls people like me, "diet chasers". I do something for awhile and then switch. That is because things work for me for awhile and then stop working!! I would have stayed LC all my life, but it stopped working. So did JUDDD. With Dr Oz, I can't stand the sensational aspect of it all. The hope that it puts in people that here is the miracle!! All of us know there is no miracle solution but some people really put their faith in him and believe it and spend! Off my soap box.

I continue to do the RS daily, but have now increased the dose and I mix it between hi-maize and potato starch. I also got a plantain at WalMart yesterday. A big old hunking thing. I am going to follow the directions to boil it and dehydrate it and grind it into powder and see what that does.

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-10-2013 at 08:57 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

I wish I could remember where I read about liver filtering toxins but not absorbing them and that liver is what is checked in the farming industry to judge if an animal is healthy for consumption. Thought it was here but can't find it now. Maybe one of your references.

Bev, I bought a big ol green plantain yesterday, too. Tag says to grill but I just thought I would throw it into a smoothy raw. Is this bad? Why are you boiling/dehydrating it? So identify with the diet chaser tag. If something isn't working, why continue? A few new things on my menu this week besides the lamb liver, potato starch and green plantain (my other plantain was quite ripe), had my first miso soup a few minutes ago and bought some kombu and some other generic Japanese seaweed. Like the miso soup.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
T
My nutrition guru calls people like me, "diet chasers". I do something for awhile and then switch. That is because things work for me for awhile and then stop working!! I would have stayed LC all my life, but it stopped working. So did JUDDD. With Dr Oz, I can't stand the sensational aspect of it all. The hope that it puts in people that here is the miracle!! All of us know there is no miracle solution but some people really put their faith in him and believe it and spend! Off my soap box.

I continue to do the RS daily, but have now increased the dose and I mix it between hi-maize and potato starch. I also got a plantain at WalMart yesterday. A big old hunking thing. I am going to follow the directions to boil it and dehydrate it and grind it into powder and see what that does.
I was a diet chaser as well. I even did the 60 days of Hcg. I believe that when you hit the meno-hell years anything that will shake weight is amazing and a Godsend. I think the reason that PHD resonates so well with me, is that it is not a diet, but more of a way of life. I think that it is everything that I knew deep down, but didn't actually practice. Does this make sense? Now, that I am serious about it and putting it into practice, I am thinking, why oh why, did I wait so long?

"Nutrient hunger can cause weight loss to plateau and reverse, even if the diet does not change." Paul Jaminet

Bev, can you give the source for the duck pate? I would love to try.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
I wish I could remember where I read about liver filtering toxins but not absorbing them and that liver is what is checked in the farming industry to judge if an animal is healthy for consumption. Thought it was here but can't find it now. Maybe one of your references.

Bev, I bought a big ol green plantain yesterday, too. Tag says to grill but I just thought I would throw it into a smoothy raw. Is this bad? Why are you boiling/dehydrating it? So identify with the diet chaser tag. If something isn't working, why continue? A few new things on my menu this week besides the lamb liver, potato starch and green plantain (my other plantain was quite ripe), had my first miso soup a few minutes ago and bought some kombu and some other generic Japanese seaweed. Like the miso soup.
How funny we got the plantains! Interesting to grill it! Will you do that while it is green? I was going to dehydrate it just to experiment making it into a flour. I find the green plantains so hard and even difficult to peel and I don't know it would work in a smoothie. Do let me know. I as also considering just slicing it and salting it and letting it dehydrate into chips. I tried a green banana in a smoothie and I couldn't get it smooth!! haha. So I figured the plantain wouldn't work either.

I liked cooking with the bag of green banana RS I was given, so just thought I would try to create it with a plantain. I'll post my results.

I have never tried miso. I love how you are experimenting.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
RE: Milk Cure - oh, this is a diet invented by one of the founders of the Mayo clinic in the 1920s. I don't want to get anyone excited by it. I don't think it is magic. I think they just got people off of flour and sugar and found miraculous results by giving them small amounts of milk (which was raw milk back in those days) every half hour, from 6 to 10 quarts per day.

I don't know if there is anything curative in it, really, but I do have a sore hip which my doc says is tendonitis. There is nothing wrong with the joint. If somehow it makes a difference, I am curious.

I am also interested because Richard Nickoley drank just over two quarts per day (1 as Kefir) and I think he said he lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. So, I am trying it, but I am not sure it will do anything since my blood sugar jumped to 100-103 since I started. Potatoes held fasting blood sugar in the low 80s.

I don't know if RS is having an impact or not, but this is too high. I started milk and RS at the same time).

I am TOO FULL this morning. Yikes. I haven't even had anything to eat and just a few sips of coffee so far today. I think I overdid it on the RS.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KeyTones~
I took a break. I think it is interesting that I felt so sated I couldn't eat. We call that being "full to the gills" down here in OK.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #351
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

On the milk cure, I hope it helps you with tendonitis.

I can't drink dairy now and I don't know when this happened or why? Could it be the change in diet? I love coconut kefir mixed in a smoothie and I am very happy, which is non-dairy. I love small amounts of whipped cream cheese and would love to be able to buy fresh raw cream cheese.

Please keep us updated on how this goes.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks. I have to say I feel really good with the milk. Obviously I ran myself down with nutritional deficiencies.

I think when (not if, ha) I do the next potato hack, I will do a healthy breakfast of 3 egg yolks and 3 oysters every day, then hack just lunch and dinner and see how that goes.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good grief - it is lunch time, and I still feel too full. I'm not sure I'm going to eat today.

I'm having coffee with cream now. This is making me full.

I hope RS isn't harmful to intestines. This leaves me wondering? I'm not in pain or anything, but this is WEIRD.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Good grief - it is lunch time, and I still feel too full. I'm not sure I'm going to eat today.

I'm having coffee with cream now. This is making me full.

I hope RS isn't harmful to intestines. This leaves me wondering? I'm not in pain or anything, but this is WEIRD.
See, I had the exact same feeling by day 2! I didn't eat dinner or even feel hungry for my late breakfast. I know that RS is good for the bowels, but I suppose that working up to 3 tbsp is probably the best plan. I went full force from day 1.

Dr. Volek wrote a research paper that I linked a few pages back that explains the science behind the resistant starch. I can now see why this is helping people to lose weight. It has certainly brought me back down on cals.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Apparently, eating raw plantains is not recommended. Warnings of stomach ache found. The traditional preparations generally involve frying, roasting or grilling and fat. So this leaves me wondering, if we are eating them for the resistant starch, it would seem that we kill that by cooking them. Think I will try making chips with it.

Bev, I did find a tip that said boiling in the skin for 2-3 min before peeling made peeling easier.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
See, I had the exact same feeling by day 2! I didn't eat dinner or even feel hungry for my late breakfast. I know that RS is good for the bowels, but I suppose that working up to 3 tbsp is probably the best plan. I went full force from day 1.

Dr. Volek wrote a research paper that I linked a few pages back that explains the science behind the resistant starch. I can now see why this is helping people to lose weight. It has certainly brought me back down on cals.
Ha! Yes, this is quite the bomb for feeling full! I did go full force as well. I never do anything half-way - bites me in the rear sometimes
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Apparently, eating raw plantains is not recommended. Warnings of stomach ache found. The traditional preparations generally involve frying, roasting or grilling and fat. So this leaves me wondering, if we are eating them for the resistant starch, it would seem that we kill that by cooking them. Think I will try making chips with it.

Bev, I did find a tip that said boiling in the skin for 2-3 min before peeling made peeling easier.
I made the plantain chips last month. They are dry and powdery. If I tried it again, I would put a lot more salt on them to try to make them *seem* like crackers (I did not get this sensation).
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

This whole business of having no desire to eat is so beyond my comprehension as to make me wonder sometimes if you gals are pulling our collective legs.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #359
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
This whole business of having no desire to eat is so beyond my comprehension as to make me wonder sometimes if you gals are pulling our collective legs.
Me too. I could use some of that I want no desire to eat too Way beyond my comprehension.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I promise that I have not been pulling anyone's leg! At first, I thought it could be the triphala. I began taking that on Monday as well. It has detoxed me like you wouldn't believe, so I know that I am not "backed up". I have been going like clockwork, right when I wake up. LOL!

I think it is good to slow down on this and work up to 3 tbsp. And then, I am wondering if we shouldn't take a break every few days??? This will ensure that you get the good benefits, but not overdo the RS.

Oh, and I have not had any RS today and I have only had 300 cals thus far of PHD yolks/liver/co and I can't even think of eating again today.