Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Joyce, See there you go! Now I want a Corgi. Are they easy to train? Absolutely precious pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Buttercup is adorable. The BEST people have Corgi's!!
Thanks! She was super easy to train. Corgis are #7 on the "dog intelligence" scale. We always say she has a rich intellectual life. Best dog I have ever had and full of moxie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
DH's mom is retired, but stays very active (rides a bike) and travels all over the island with her dancing group, and of course gets sun. Hard to avoid that! When he calls over there on occasion, she is not there as she is out enjoying herself. My DH says it is about time, she has been at home for many many years taking care of everyone. Now is her time to enjoy herself. And she is
Have you ever seen the documentary "Happy," Dawn? It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime free videos and maybe Hulu. It's fascinating and it talks about how we all have a baseline for happiness, or a propensity to be happy or unhappy regardless of good or bad circumstances. One part of the film documents Okinawa and they show all of these older 90+ ladies gardening, laughing together, making origami and sipping from Hello Kitty cups. I just loved it and it actually made me sad that I wasn't and could never be an Okinawan centenarian. LOL The sense of community there is awe-inspring.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Here's one of the recipes I have made:

Gluten Free Waffles

By E Bennet food.com

Yield: 5 waffles

About This Recipe

1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch ( NOT Potato Flour)
1/4 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk ( regular milk or coconut milk works, too)
1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute equivalent

Directions

Mix all ingredients together with a whisk, and pour into waffle iron, in batches.
Add a bit more milk if too thick or a bit of rice flour if too runny.
Can be made without eggs, if necessary; just add a little more liquid to make up for them.

Photo by InvisiGyrl

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-09-2013 at 08:40 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post

Have you ever seen the documentary "Happy," Dawn? It's on Netflix and Amazon Prime free videos and maybe Hulu. It's fascinating and it talks about how we all have a baseline for happiness, or a propensity to be happy or unhappy regardless of good or bad circumstances. One part of the film documents Okinawa and they show all of these older 90+ ladies gardening, laughing together, making origami and sipping from Hello Kitty cups. I just loved it and it actually made me sad that I wasn't and could never be an Okinawan centenarian. LOL The sense of community there is awe-inspring.
The picture you painted brings tears to my eyes. I love the Hello Kitty Cups part. I really wish I had that sense of community in my life. It is very hard in our very busy world. I started a women's retirement club that meets monthly, and I feel that it is a very good bonding experience. I wonder what they would say if I suggested making some origami birds and drinking wine out of Hello Kitty cups as one of our monthly activities? I think it would be a hoot. We could throw in a few tablespoons of RS in the mix.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
brave girl!! I read it most days, but dey scawy!!
Yes, Richard is on the edge. And for some reason I have noticed that some of the Paleo women are so aggressive, borderline mean-spirited. Which is why I don't post on MDA.
But, Tatertot is different, such a genuinely nice and concerned fella.

Quote:
T I wonder what they would say if I suggested making some origami birds and drinking wine out of Hello Kitty cups as one of our monthly activities? I think it would be a hoot. We could throw in a few tablespoons of RS in the mix.
Oh, Bev, please do this and let us know how they like it! I have a group of bff's that would think this is grand.

Everyone, I couldn't take my mind off of the pancakes, so I made the pancakes and they were UNBELIEVABLE! So yummy! I did not have pumpkin, so I subbed 1/4 apple grated and 1/2 zucchini grated, 3 egg yolks, 1 egg white, a dash of cinnamon mixed with truvia. YOU have to try this!

Today's menu~

Apple/Zucchini Pancakes
1 oz of liver (drowned in hot sauce)
247 cals

Caesar Salad w/ 3 sardines, tomato, 1/2 avocado, & romaine. 1 tbsp of caesar

1 Gold Yukon, 1 cup of BB
(help me decide on dessert!) I have 250 cals remaining.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-09-2013 at 08:53 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, your photo has me drooling! I can't wait to try this as well!!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
those of you who have a Trader Joes, the GF flour (potato/rice/tapioca blend) is great
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Beverly, did you do a nutritional analysis of the waffles? They look scary good.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another one I have made:

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins
by King Arthur

Spicy, moist, and fluffy — these are a perfect breakfast muffin.

Note: you must use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to prepare the batter for these muffins; mixing by hand doesn't do a thorough enough job.
The recipe calls for KA mix which uses a stablized brown rice. They said you can sub white rice but the product might be grittier than using the stablized brown rice. I used the white rice and thought it was fine, but all taste buds are different!

3 large eggs
2 tablespoons molasses
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin purée
1 3/4 cups rice flour blend*
1 cup sugar equivalent ( I used Erythritol plus EZ Sweetz drops)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup soft butter
*See recipe for this blend below.

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan, or line the pan with papers, and grease the papers.

2) Whisk together the eggs, molasses, and pumpkin purée. Set aside.

3) Whisk together the gluten-free flour or brown rice flour blend, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.

4) Add the soft butter, mixing with an electric mixer until evenly crumbly. The mixture will look like coarse sand.

5) Add the egg mixture a bit at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each addition. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture is fluffy.

6) Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, mounding the cups full. The batter will rise above the level of each cup; that's fine.

7) Let the muffins rest for 10 minutes.

8) Bake the muffins for 22 to 25 minutes, until the middle springs back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Best served warm.

Yield: 12 muffins.

*Make your own flour blend

The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour.

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).

12 muffins
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Beverly, did you do a nutritional analysis of the waffles? They look scary good.
These are certainly for a treat as they are not low cal!

Nutrition Facts for waffles
Amount Per Serving
Calories 360 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 15g 23%
Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 80mg 27%
Sodium 570mg 24%
Potassium 600mg 17%
Total Carbohydrate 47g 16%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 6g
Protein 9g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 20%
Iron 6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
those of you who have a Trader Joes, the GF flour (potato/rice/tapioca blend) is great
If they had one here, I would be in heaven.
I have to drive 3 hours to the nearest TJs. I will definitely make a trip the next time I am headed to my daughter's in Ft. Worth.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, Richard is on the edge. And for some reason I have noticed that some of the Paleo women are so aggressive, borderline mean-spirited. Which is why I don't post on MDA.
But, Tatertot is different, such a genuinely nice and concerned fella.

Oh, Bev, please do this and let us know how they like it! I have a group of bff's that would think this is grand.

Everyone, I couldn't take my mind off of the pancakes, so I made the pancakes and they were UNBELIEVABLE! So yummy! I did not have pumpkin, so I subbed 1/4 apple grated and 1/2 zucchini grated, 3 egg yolks, 1 egg white, a dash of cinnamon mixed with truvia. YOU have to try this!

Today's menu~

Apple/Zucchini Pancakes
1 oz of liver (drowned in hot sauce)
247 cals

Caesar Salad w/ 3 sardines, tomato, 1/2 avocado, & romaine. 1 tbsp of caesar

1 Gold Yukon, 1 cup of BB
(help me decide on dessert!) I have 250 cals remaining.

I noticed that about the aggressive nature of people on that board. I hate that!
You have tempted me on the pancakes. I must try them.

You are doing well!! Can't help you on the dessert because what I want today is cheesecake and that is on my mind!!

~~~
I got my liver pate in with ease yesterday. I cut up my RS'd purple potato (chilled slices) and spread them with the liver pate and topped with a bit of tomato and a slice of red onion. I had that with a small glass of red wine and found it delightful. Don't tell my mom that I found this DELIGHTFUL!! With all the grief I have given her about liver in my life, she would swat me on the side of my head with the back of her hand!! (kidding)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
If they had one here, I would be in heaven.
I have to drive 3 hours to the nearest TJs. I will definitely make a trip the next time I am headed to my daughter's in Ft. Worth.
It's also very easy to throw it together yourself if you have access to the individual ingredients. Having a mix is certainly convenient, but making your own mix up is not time consuming at all. I LOVE TJs for so many reasons.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The picture you painted brings tears to my eyes. I love the Hello Kitty Cups part. I really wish I had that sense of community in my life. It is very hard in our very busy world. I started a women's retirement club that meets monthly, and I feel that it is a very good bonding experience. I wonder what they would say if I suggested making some origami birds and drinking wine out of Hello Kitty cups as one of our monthly activities? I think it would be a hoot. We could throw in a few tablespoons of RS in the mix.

I know, Bev! Right? I said the same thing to my husband, that it made me want to cry because I could never imagine that sense of community for myself.

I'm not sure if it was Hello Kitty cups but there was definitely something Hello Kitty-related in the mix. The way they ladies were joking was just so endearing and heartwarming. It showed them later being part of some local festivities--a children's race--and it was incredible to see all of the generations together, etc.

We went to Tokyo last year and saw some of this in various festivals too. Very interesting!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, For Mother's Day, you should write something in her card about..."Remember when you used to make me liver? and remember how I despised it? Well, something happened..." I bet that would bring a big smile to her face!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Okay, I had to know--they were Hello Kitty cups. Here's a little clip for anyone interested, from the makers of Happy the documentary:

Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Lindy, I know you have been doing NK, but if you really want to give PHD a trial, you will need to drop the fat to below 60%. Carbs 25% Protein 15%. I think the high fat will work for some people, but it is darn near impossible to do both NK and PHD simultaneously. Just my .02.
Well I wondered about that. When I researched Paul's site on weight loss he said to have a minimum of 400 cal carb, 300 cal protein and to get the rest from fat not to exceed 1200. But yes, I definitely can lower the fat. My weight dropped .2 but if I can keep it from rising right now, I'm ok. I've dropped 2 dress sizes since I started in March even though I've only lost 8 lbs. I feel so much better and the stamina is up so I'm on going.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
They have subscribe and save right now on the river site for 12.50 for 4 bags which equals 3.12 per bag. I am looking forward to making gluten free brownies or pizza with this starch. It sounds like the cakes that are made with PS turn out really nice and light. Not heavy or dense.
River site?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, Congrats on the loss & 2 dress sizes!
I have confidence that this will work for you! Did you find Scooby's Workshop TDEE calculator? I think you can have a bit higher than 1200, but 1200 will get you going faster!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Think about one of the largest online sites that is named after a river in South America. We can't link it, but you will be able to find all things healthy there.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I may need to take a day off or two from drinking RS. I feel as if I could pop and that is being generous!

Does anyone else feel this way? I could barely eat my lunch. Really did not have the appetite. Is this good? I hope so.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #321
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Do you know if this is good for diabetics? I am a low carb girl trying this potato hack and hack it is. I have not even BOUGHT a potato let alone COOKED one in years My DD is a type 1 diabetic and worry about buying those gluten free flours that have a lot of carbs. But should I even worry when I cannot get her to stop eating fruit Her diet is more complicated than mine, I believe. Anyway, I would love to try this. We just got a Trader Joes in the area.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #322
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Thanks! She was super easy to train. Corgis are #7 on the "dog intelligence" scale. We always say she has a rich intellectual life. Best dog I have ever had and full of moxie.

I have seen something of the sort. That is what I envision my mother-in-law's life like. My DH told me last night that his aunt was going to bring us there this summer. Won't that be a hoot? My kids are so excited, but cautionary. She told us we would go last year and she was not well enough to travel--DH insisted that we not go if she was not going. Tore the kids up, broke their little hearts Anyway, cannot wait to see if we go over there. Oh, talk about community---they have it in droves over there. Simply amazing and you will NOT find that over here. Probably because everyone is related to everyone in some fashion
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I hope you get to go! We can't wait to go back to Japan and just loved it last year, even though we went when it was hotter than Hades. Everywhere we went people apologized to us because it was so hot. That cracked us up.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

We were talking about too much of a good thing regarding certain greens and I found this table at anouther site recommending rotating your greens families on a two week basis. I thought it was nice that we don't have to rotate daily to avoid toxicity which is easier on the grocery budget. So go ahead and enjoy spinach in your smoothy for a couple weeks, then switch to something in a different family.

Plant Family - Vegetable Greens

Brassicaceae/Cruciferae - Kale, collards, arugula, turnip, cabbage, bok choy, radish greens, mustard greens, broccoli

Amaranthaceae/chenopodiaceae - Spinach, chard, beet, lambsquarters

Asteraceae - Dandelion, leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce

Apiaceae - Parsley, cilantro

July challenge
Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
We were talking about too much of a good thing regarding certain greens and I found this table at anouther site recommending rotating your greens families on a two week basis. I thought it was nice that we don't have to rotate daily to avoid toxicity which is easier on the grocery budget. So go ahead and enjoy spinach in your smoothy for a couple weeks, then switch to something in a different family.

Brassicaceae/Cruciferae - Kale, collards, arugula, turnip, cabbage, bok choy, radish greens, mustard greens, broccoli

Great idea Cici!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sunday. It falls in line with the seasonal eating woe.

Here is a question for the masses. How important is presentation to your daily woe? I find that as I explore new foods, I am finding some new flavor profiles that I enjoy but often I wouldn't even think of serving them to someone else. I put them in my people chow catagory. Wholesome but not pretty. What about you?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I will have to admit that presentation doesn't mean anything, if I make it. Now, if someone else cooks, that is a different story.

Anyone else having trouble eating? I can't eat dinner. Yesterday, I was able to eat pretty much as planned. And I feel like I ate a buffalo. I am stuffed.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Okay, I had to know--they were Hello Kitty cups. Here's a little clip for anyone interested, from the makers of Happy the documentary:

Introducing Okinawa - YouTube
Thanks you for posting that. Now that I don't eat much sugar, I need to find some sweet things in life and that clip did it for today. And it was non-caloric!

Quote:
I may need to take a day off or two from drinking RS. I feel as if I could pop and that is being generous!

Does anyone else feel this way? I could barely eat my lunch. Really did not have the appetite. Is this good? I hope so.
I do not feel that way, but I am not taking as much as you. I feel satiated, but not overly full. I don't like that overly full feeling at all, but not having the desire to eat is a good thing, in my book, unless you can't get your proper nutrients in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I have seen something of the sort. That is what I envision my mother-in-law's life like. My DH told me last night that his aunt was going to bring us there this summer. Won't that be a hoot? My kids are so excited, but cautionary. She told us we would go last year and she was not well enough to travel--DH insisted that we not go if she was not going. Tore the kids up, broke their little hearts Anyway, cannot wait to see if we go over there. Oh, talk about community---they have it in droves over there. Simply amazing and you will NOT find that over here. Probably because everyone is related to everyone in some fashion
Oh I hope you can go!!!

Quote:

Thanks. I find that very helpful and makes me feel better about eating the greens. I will have to look up lambsquarters!!

Quote:
Thanks, Sunday. It falls in line with the seasonal eating woe.

Here is a question for the masses. How important is presentation to your daily woe? I find that as I explore new foods, I am finding some new flavor profiles that I enjoy but often I wouldn't even think of serving them to someone else. I put them in my people chow catagory. Wholesome but not pretty. What about you?
I am the same way. I like my presentation to others to be very nice, but I don't care if it is for me or not.

BUT>>> I did hit the Motherlode with the watercress. I finally got some. I also got a loaf of Johann's gluten free bread. It is yummy and tastes even better than the bread I have been baking and way way easier. Today I had a lovely sardine sandwich with Kerrygold butter and watercress. I also got an orange cauliflower and a purple one. Can't wait to make those. I love colorful foods. I have a thing for the purple potatoes. They are so deeply purple.

My BFF and I went to a gluten free bakery here to get a cake for her DH's birthday. Holy cow, a 10" cake cost $90!!! Must be made of golden potato starch! Or some pretty fancy decorating going on. Heck, I might go into the business! A loaf of rosemary bread is $11.00. But people were clammoring to get stuff at this store. I try to limit my gluten free products because they can be triggers for me, but this place makes one heck of a delicious rosemary bread. And a pat on the back for myself as I got out of the stores without buying any chocolate bars.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Sunday, today was much better. Ended up 60% f, 25% c, 15% p
Totals 1259 calories, 84 g. fat, 80 g carb, and 47 g protein
Menu:
B / BB, egg salad w/ whole egg + 2 yolks, 1/2 c beets
L / Potato salad w/ 2 potato, 1 T mayo and 1 T bacon fat, beets
D / 3 oz chicken livers sauteed in co. 1/2 cup potato salad
S / Big Red zero w/hwc

I might have a problem with RS. Due to stomach surgery a thousand years ago, I have the capacity to hold about 2/3 of a normal stomach. That's why I had such a problem with NK. The great amount of meat and fat was necessary for weight loss and I was miserable most of the time. Maybe I can drink RS right when I get up and before bedtime.

Still it's all very encouraging on the health aspect. I'm definitely putting weight loss on the back burner for a while. Still sticking to 1200 or so calories. I don't have all my right foods. Going to try to ferment veggies next week. But I need try to make my own mayo and maybe order some stevia. One day at a time.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/229/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Cici, I will have to admit that presentation doesn't mean anything, if I make it. Now, if someone else cooks, that is a different story.

Anyone else having trouble eating? I can't eat dinner. Yesterday, I was able to eat pretty much as planned. And I feel like I ate a buffalo. I am stuffed.
I added the Hi-Maize to my kefir last night. I used two heaping tablespoons, and after I drank it down, I realized, uh-oh, what did I just do?

But it is OK. So far, anyway.

The stuff smells like...corn torillas and tastes very mildly of it too, but it is starch. It does not make the kefir exciting or anything. I thought maybe it would, since the Hi-Maize doesn't have that weird squeaky feeling to it. I also added one scoop of green drink powder from Trader Joe's to it.

What does, however, is pouring a little regular milk (just a small amount) over the kefir. Wow, that was like crack. It was the hit of sweet and then sour I guess. I didn't stir. I am maybe going to make it today just on the kefir. I'm experimenting with a new hack.

So, this morning I forgot to add potato starch to the kefir and ended up hungry. At noon, I added it, and this afternoon - no hunger. I skipped my afternoon kefir I was planning to have. I do feel *full* too!

I did add a scoop of red drink powder to it. In looking at the label I think it might be overkill on antioxidants. I think I will just use a teaspoon tomorrow.

Walking up hill was really easy this morning. No hip pain. I do wonder if there is something to the milk cure.

I think it was the Hi-Maize last night at dinner coupled with the potato starch at lunch that is making me feel so full.

I realize this is not PHD, I am just answering on resistant starch.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote