Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Ouizoid - you are doing so well with your current plan anyway!!!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Like Seabreezes, I just got my unmodified potato starch. Looking forward to tomorrow's weird smoothie.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I went to Whole Foods yesterday and got some unmodified potato starch. Does it have to be eaten cold? I found a couple of interesting recipes using it in baking that I am going to try. I'm going to put it in a smoothie today.

Love all the discussions going on here.

A beautiful morning here so am off for some water exercises in the pool and listen to live Hawaiian music while I swim.
It is my understanding it does not have to be eaten cold when it is in the format of RS2 like the potato starch, banana starch and hi-maize. You may not take in as much resistant starch, but you still get it. I have been cooking with hi-maize for that purpose for awhile now. There are different types of resistant starch.

I heard there are a couple different types of resistant starch. Do
they all have these benefits?

There are four types of resistant starches. Hi-maize is an all-natural type of resistant starch isolated from non-genetically modified
high amylose corn called an RS2.Slightly green bananas are another excellent source of RS2.

Legumes, which are an excellent source of resistant starch, are in the other common category of natural resistant starch, RS1. (not approved for PHD though).

Resistant starch that is formed when starch-containing foods are cooked and cooled (think potato and pasta salad, sushi rice, etc.) is categorized as RS3.

Resistant starch can also be made by
chemically treating starch to make it indigestible to humans, which is
called RS4.

Hi-maize has strong scientific evidence (300+ total studies/nearly 100 human) to support its health benefits. In contrast, there isn't nearly as much known about other types of modified and synthetic resistant starches (RS3 and RS4) being incorporated into some foods today.

Early studies suggest that modified and synthetic resistant starches
are digested and fermented differently. Future studies will have to
determine their physiological and health benefits.

Per the Prevention Magazine,
(this pertains to hi-maize, but I would imagine to potato starch too)

How can I eat more resistant starch?
A. There are three ways to eat more resistant starch:
•Natural resistant starch is found in common foods such as
legumes (beans and peas), grains and even slightly green bananas.
When cooked and served cold as in salads, several starches including
potatoes, pasta and rice, are especially rich in resistant starch.
• Hi-maize resistant starch is found in a growing number
of supermarket foods such as breads and pastas. Hi-maize is all natural
and isolated from traditionally bred (non-genetically modified)
high amylose corn.
Hi-maize is also available for home cooking. Just one tablespoon
(approximately 9.5 grams) of Hi-maize mixed into casseroles, hot cereals,
batters (pancakes, waffles, muffins) and smoothies adds an
extra 5 grams of natural resistant starch and dietary fiber.

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-08-2013 at 05:05 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I put the potato starch in my protein drink today and it didn't change the flavor at all. I take this to drink when I spend the morning in the pool doing water exercises.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
When I drink the Bob's in my water both morning and noon, I absolutely taste nothing but maybe slightly potatoish... I have thought about mixing it in my green tea for dinner. If it is that non-tasting, why not? Does anyone else notice the fullness with the starch? I just wonder if I am imagining this?

Bev, did you order your Hi-Maize from an online site?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
When I drink the Bob's in my water both morning and noon, I absolutely taste nothing but maybe slightly potatoish... I have thought about mixing it in my green tea for dinner. If it is that non-tasting, why not? Does anyone else notice the fullness with the starch? I just wonder if I am imagining this?

Bev, did you order your Hi-Maize from an online site?
I did notice feeling fuller today with 3 tbs. I ordered from Honey Ville. I detect no taste in liquids or baked goods.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Bev. I just want to confirm that the starch is what is causing the feeling.

KT,

I received this answer back from another PHDer re: bone broth and toxicity and I have to agree...

Quote:
It reminds me of the issue of mercury in fish. It appears that ftmp, we're still better off eating fish - at least smaller/younger fish that have better Se:Hg ratios.

And the issue of human milk being, essentially, the most contaminated on the planet. It's still the best option available.

Even with toxicants, bone stock is a rather good idea.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Wow this is harder than I thought. My totals today were:
1299 calories, 98 g fat, 54 carbs, and 52 protein
Way low on protein and carbs. Should be 100 c and 75 p

B/ none
L/ hamb patty, small baked potato w/ sour cream & butter
D/ 2 weiners, bone broth 2/1T butter, slice cheddar
S/ Big Red zero w/heavy cream

Most of this is locarb. I have to rethink what to eat. It'll come.
My bone broth was so sustaining I haven't eaten my dinner yet. But I stay up late.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy in Louisiana View Post
Wow this is harder than I thought. My totals today were:
1299 calories, 98 g fat, 54 carbs, and 52 protein
Way low on protein and carbs. Should be 100 c and 75 p

B/ none
L/ hamb patty, small baked potato w/ sour cream & butter
D/ 2 weiners, bone broth 2/1T butter, slice cheddar
S/ Big Red zero w/heavy cream

Most of this is locarb. I have to rethink what to eat. It'll come.
My bone broth was so sustaining I haven't eaten my dinner yet. But I stay up late.
Wonderful Lindy! I have been waiting up to hear if you did okay with the BB. I think if you can keep up the BB, some starch (Bob's red mill) or potato and possibly some liver or egg yolks you are well on the way. It is a gradual process ...the PHD plan is. Every chance you can read over at Perfect Health site or even on any of the Nourishing Traditions sites. FB, etc.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am posting this because someone and I can't remember who said it was okay to heat up the starch. I am curious because according to Tatertot it is not a good idea. Here is his last post at "FTA".

Quote:
Based on the comments and questions from the first RS post, I did a little more digging and learned even more!

It was known as early as 1922 that certain starches resisted digestion, however, the term 'resistant starch' wasn't used until the 1980's when scientists studying starch digestion re-discovered the phenomenon. Since the 1980's hundreds of studies have been done on the actual mechanisms of RS digestion. Numerous papers and articles were written in the 80's and 90's, but the effects of RS seemed to fall on deaf ears. A resurgence of interest in RS in the early 2000's led to more studies and more articles. It was almost universally accepted by the scientific community that RS:

improved glucose regulation and better weight control,
reduced constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and irritable bowel disease
reduced colon cancer risk,
and reduced blood cholesterol and triglycerides.

Resistant Starch contributes to health in two main ways: Its low Glycemic Load and its ability to enhance the microflora of the large intestine. As a carbohydrate with virtually zero impact on glucose, it stabilizes blood sugar and insulin, leading to lowered fasting blood glucose and insulin sensitivity. The ability of RS to resist digestion in the small intestine allows it to serve as a food source for the beneficial bacteria of the large intestine.

The concept of 'gut microflora' is difficult to grasp. Paul Jaminet wrote about it here. There are thousands of strains of bacteria, with populations in the trillions, living in the large intestines of humans. Some bacteria are good and some are bad. Scientists are just beginning to map out the thousands of strains and optimal populations.

Generally speaking, though, we can say there are two basic types of gut microbes that we can impact with resistant starch: Bifido-bacteria and Entero-bacteria.

Bifido-bacteria are the good kind. When you eat yogurt or sauerkraut for its probiotic strains of microbes, you are ingesting Bifido-bacteria. Bifido-bacteria comprise 90% of the gut bacteria of breast-fed babies, but only about 5% of adult gut flora. [emphasis added: what are they "eating?"]

Entero-bacteria are the bad kind. Though many are harmless, some of the more well-known species are Salmonella, E. Coli, and Enterobacter, which is closely related to obesity. Some of these type of bacteria can release endotoxins and cause 'toxic shock syndrome'. Many of these types of bacteria are also resistant to antibiotics, making them very difficult to deal with. Entero-bacteria can survive in a wide range of environments, even outside the body, and feed on many different food sources--sometimes resulting in extreme gaseous events.

Studies such as this one have demonstrated that ingesting approximately 33g/day of resistant starch lead to major changes in gut microflora in as little as one week and at 3 weeks, Bifido-bacteria strains had increased up to 10-fold from baseline levels to almost 20% of total gut flora!

An important finding of the above study was that the changes in gut flora varied between individuals, were reversible, and tightly associated with the consumption of RS. Gut flora changes that occurred during the 3 week study returned to baseline levels in as little as one week after stopping the consumption of RS.

Also of importance from this study, no significant changes occurred in fecal pH with RS and no significant detrimental effects were observed on bowel movement, stool consistency, or discomfort, indicating that RS at doses of 33 g per day are well tolerated in human subjects.

This study was done using RS from wheat and corn, mixed into wheat flour crackers. As wheat and corn aren't smiled upon in the Paleo world, I have come up with a way to mirror these results and using a 'safe starch' to gain all of the benefits described in this and other studies.

Studies show improvements with as little as 10g/day and as much as 50g/day. Over 60g/day, no additional benefits are noted, but not harmful. The most common dosage seems to be 30-40g/day.

Raw, unmodified potato (must not be pre-gelatinized!) provides nearly 8g RS2 per tablespoon.
Green Banana/Plantain Flour is also a great source of RS at about 6g per TBS.
Hi-Maize cornstarch seems to be a very good source as well at about 5g per TBS.
Common cornstarch contains about 2.5g per TBS.
White and Brown rice flour contains about 1.5g. per TBS.
Arrowroot starch is a poor source with less than 1g per TBS.

Mix any combination of these starches to equal 10-40g/day in a smoothy, milk, kefir, yogurt, or just plain water. The sky is the limit, just be sure not to heat the starch! It must remain under 140 degrees to retain it's RS characteristics. It may also be best to mix and match the RS sources for maximum benefit as studies suggest different RS sources affect different strains of beneficial bacteria.

~~~

Last edited by sunday; 05-08-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I was just going to post this! I was trying to find out what had the most RS and came across the post you copied.

I was the one who asked if baking with it would be a good way to get it in. If what is stated here is correct, then baking would ruin it?

I also saw a book called Skinny Carbs Diet by David Feder where you eat a lot of safe starches. There are a lot of recipes using the Hi Maze starch. He starts out week one with 5 grams and works up to about 40g ( the suggested amt) over several weeks. I'll have to go back and see if the starch is in cooked items or smoothie and yogurt concoctions.

I could add it to tuna salad which is cold, yogurt and fruit, etc.

It certainly seems to be a hot topic at the moment!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Seabreezes.

I have read a whole lot of different theories, but something keeps me reading Tatertot and I have decided to place my trust in his research. Four years ago when he began his weightloss journey he was 250 lbs with fatty liver, pre-diabetes, high bp, high chol–typical metabolic syndrome. I know he is just a farmer, but he is so passionate about this RS study that he tests his blood/glucose several times per day and even after just drinking his RS.

I believe I will keep drinking the RS until I hear someone who convinces me that it is all for naught.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is not to say, we can't use Bob's Potato Starch/Hi-Maize for baking. I believe we can! and should! I just think we need to take 3 tbsp of BRM at the minimum w/ cold water or kefir or smoothie. For safe insurance of RS.

Last edited by sunday; 05-08-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This is not to say, we can't use Bob's Potato Starch/Hi-Maize for baking. I believe we can! and should! I just think we need to take 3 tbsp of BRM at the minimum w/ cold water or kefir or smoothie. For safe insurance of RS.
I agree.

I just found a review of the Skinny Carb Diet at Prevention Magazine. Google Skinny Carb Diet and go to the Prevention site after all of the book stores. There are some recipes at the end. The one with potato says to cool the potato for a bit before going on with the recipe. The desert recipe uses hi maze and says 3 grams of RS. No cooling until after baked. The other recipe uses a salsa with pinto beans that is not cooked. The article is 8 pages long and very interesting. It was published in 2011.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hmm, just received my shipment of Hi-Maize and unmodified potato starch. The potato starch has zero fiber on the label; 10 carbs.

Hi-Maize: 15 g of fiber; 25 carbs.

??? Why no fiber in the potato starch I wonder?

Both are 40 calorie servings (the math works out of course).
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Hmm, just received my shipment of Hi-Maize and unmodified potato starch. The potato starch has zero fiber on the label; 10 carbs.

Hi-Maize: 15 g of fiber; 25 carbs.

??? Why no fiber in the potato starch I wonder?

Both are 40 calorie servings (the math works out of course).
I noticed the same thing. The potato starch is supposed to have more RS, though.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Wonderful Lindy! I have been waiting up to hear if you did okay with the BB. I think if you can keep up the BB, some starch (Bob's red mill) or potato and possibly some liver or egg yolks you are well on the way. It is a gradual process ...the PHD plan is. Every chance you can read over at Perfect Health site or even on any of the Nourishing Traditions sites. FB, etc.
I think I'll get my potato starch pretty soon. Already have chicken livers, yolks and bone broth. Definitely one step at a time. I did manage to bump my stats up by substituting pork for wieners at dinner, and adding 1 c beets along with 1/2 c cottege cheese. Totals 1349cal, 80 fat, 87 carb and 70 protein. Better. I notice that I will have to cut fat a little more to get it to 1200.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, I know you have been doing NK, but if you really want to give PHD a trial, you will need to drop the fat to below 60%. Carbs 25% Protein 15%. I think the high fat will work for some people, but it is darn near impossible to do both NK and PHD simultaneously. Just my .02.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can have higher cals than I do daily and lose. If you want to go to a TDEE caclulator (Scooby's) is a great one. It will give you everything you need to calculate how to be able to lose 2 lbs per week. You will need to put in your exercise, height, etc.

Also, don't forget to add 120 cals for RS. I am sure we need to count that.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #290
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
My DH, who is Okinawan, tells me they eat/ate pork ALL the time in Okinawa. I tell him "they have an Okinawan diet out". And he tells me that it is not how they eat in Okinawa. You would think fish and rice. But they eat pork and noodles. Not the "typical Japanese" food you hear about. I remember my first trip to Okinawa, there are noodle places all over the place. And I was glad to have pork! Just like home. And you are right--they are one of the longest lived people around. All by eating noodles, pork and rice! They smoke, drink and all the other vices too! They just didn't have the junk we do over there. No Twinkies, Hostess donuts or the like. They have good whole foods, from their own gardens no less!
I did ask DH about that veggie in Okinawa. It is "goya". It is green and bumpy (not a smooth exterior to the veggie like a zucchini would be) very bitter, not very nice tasting but oh so healthy for you! Why oh why can the good for you foods be tasty? Like chocolate? That would be so much better, eh? And the purple potatoes over there they call sweet potatoes/yam. So it must be a variation of the orange sweet potato we have here.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They have subscribe and save right now on the river site for 12.50 for 4 bags which equals 3.12 per bag. I am looking forward to making gluten free brownies or pizza with this starch. It sounds like the cakes that are made with PS turn out really nice and light. Not heavy or dense.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #292

Quote:
They have subscribe and save right now on the river site for 12.50 for 4 bags which equals 3.12 per bag. I am looking forward to making gluten free brownies or pizza with this starch. It sounds like the cakes that are made with PS turn out really nice and light. Not heavy or dense.
Happy Mother's Day! My Dh will flip if I say this is what I want for Mother's Day but not odder than any other present I have asked for.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Happy Mother's Day! My Dh will flip if I say this is what I want for Mother's Day but not odder than any other present I have asked for.
Happy Mother's Day to you Dawn! Wishing you to have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. With a side of starch.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
WOW! The last couple of pages have been a wealth of information! I'm thinking I may need to go find some RS somewhere and give it a try. You ALL rock!!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #295

Quote:
Happy Mother's Day to you Dawn! Wishing you to have a wonderful, relaxing weekend. With a side of starch.
Please share any baked goodies you try with it. As I don't know a thing about incorporating it into any goodies. We have BRM stuff all over the stores here in town, including where I work. So I will search there first. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde! I have only been doing it since Monday and I feel very good about it. I had already been eating taters daily, so maybe this is something meant to be. One thing for sure, I don't feel bad at all.

Dawn, Yes, I am looking forward to more gluten free goods! I read a lot of good reviews by GF folks on the river site and on the other vitamin/herb site and they all say that BRM is excellent for pancakes, cakes, cookies, even for coating chicken for gluten free chicken strips or tilapia, etc. Some said that they mix it half and half with tapioca flour, which I will probably do when I bake.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
maybe I missed this--is the RS preserved if you cook or bake with the PS?? I know with taters, they need to be eaten cold??
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
maybe I missed this--is the RS preserved if you cook or bake with the PS?? I know with taters, they need to be eaten cold??
Ouiz, I don't see how it could be? I just noticed that on the diet that SeaBreezes mentioned "The Skinny Carb Diet", the author suggests cooking everything with a bit of RS. Which he uses all types of different recipes such as bean, rice, banana, etc. It seems to me, that in the study that was linked on the Wiley Educational link, the RS needed to be unmodified.

I do want to bake with it due to the fact that it is gluten free and PHD allowed.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Channeling Tatertot or Nickolay. I will try and ask this question at FTA.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Channeling Tatertot or Nickolay. I will try and ask this question at FTA.

brave girl!! I read it most days, but dey scawy!!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote