Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
CHIP (Coronary Health Improvement Program) Dr. Diehl

Has anyone heard of this diet? I came across it when I did a google search on sugar and diabetes. I found it very interesting to say the least. I know it sounds like a bunch of hogwash but there's been peer reviewed studies on this. Not studies done by the pharmaceutical or food industry! It's basically a grain free, dairy free vegetarian diet, but you're allowed a small amount of meats and fats.

CHIP (Coronary Health Improvement Program) Dr. Diehl-High Fat Diet-Diabetes

In a series entitled CHIP (Coronary Health Improvement Program) Dr. Diehl described a project concerning how diabetes appears to be caused. A group of young healthy men were fed sugar, and more sugar, and more sugar, and more sugar, up to a pound a day. Not ONE of them ever showed any symptoms of diabetes. Then they did a another study giving them a high fats diet. In just a very short time, these young men began showing signs of diabetes.
He also says that vegetarians are the least likely to get diabetes, and those who are meat eaters were 400% more likely to get diabetes. He says diabetics were cured when fed a low fat, vegetarian diet.
He also says on a very low fat diet, the insulin that the body produces begins to become active again and will cure most diabetics within weeks. This is the diet he recommends
10% protein, 10% fat, high starch, low sugar, cholesterol free, which means a vegetarian diet and high fiber. We should be eating foods as they are grown, low in fats and sugar, simply prepared.

This would explain why the low fat, high carb diet didn't work. We were eating low fat sugary snacks and processed low fat, high carb foods, (think, low fat cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, breads, pastas and rice)and lots of protein, a lot of it processed lunch meats. We were eating too much sugar and the wrong starches!! We should have been eating low fat, low sugar, low protein and the starches that grow in a garden!

Maybe if we watched our meat, fat and sugar consumption and ate whole foods that are grown in a garden we wouldn't have so many diseases.

Even though I've been eating low carb for about 7 years now, I haven't really been able to lose the weight I want, and I haven't cured my diabetes and have just been diagnosed with a thyroid disease. I'm sure there's more wrong with me than there is right!

It doesn't seem like the low carb, high fat, high meat, low sugar diet is working very well. I've never thought of eating a low fat, low protein, low sugar, high starch diet. It seems simple, you can still eat some protein, some fat, some sugar, and eat all the vegetables you want, even the starchy ones.

A lot of us are already figuring out that grains and dairy arn't that great for us due to the allergies and diseases they cause. On this diet we can eat all the vegetables we want, while limiting protein, fats and sugars. I'm going to try it and see if it works, what can it hurt? If it could cure my diabetes and I could stop taking meds for it, that would be awesome.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

I must have posted this in the wrong forum
Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hi Gina,
I think if you're interested you should give it a try.
I guess I'm always a little leary of diets that claim to "cure it all" - I suspect the results these subjects found were related to 1) weight loss and 2) higher levels of resistant starches in things like potatoes and rice. Both have been proven to regulate blood sugar levels and to "cure" diabetes.
One of the things I've realized being at LCF is that there is a tweak, or major plan change, for everyone's unique situation. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. If you think this sounds like the plan for you then I say - Go for it!!!
Best of luck!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I haven't read the book, so I can't really speak to what it says exactly. I read (or watched, I can't remember) something about the need for being very careful when comparing vegetarians to non vegetarians in population studies because of "healthy bias" (or something like that).

We all know vegetarians that eat junk food, but as a general rule people become vegetarians because they are concerned about their health. They are less likely to drink or smoke and more likely to exercise and do other things that are good for them.

There are healthy meat-eaters too of course, but the "meat eating" group is where you will find smokers, drinkers and the severely obese. So comparing population groups and proclaiming vegetarians are healthier can be very misleading.

It said healthy people didn't get diabetes until they were fed a high fat diet, what kind of fat? Processed vegetable oil or lard? Was it high fat and high sugar? What about high fat, but no sugar?

I can't speak about this author specifically as I haven't read the book, but I see a general movement by "They" away from grains and toward a low carb diet. "They" can't bring themselves yet to say fat is ok (except of things like olive oil and avocado, but animal fat is still taboo), so for awhile we will be told to eat low carb AND low fat. It is a step toward the truth.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the feedback!!

I think the 1st study was high sugar and low everything else, and the 2nd study was high fat and low everything else. I'm not sure what kinds of fats but unless they were fish oils, flax or unrefined coconut oil, all the other ones are refined and processed. It just surprised me that a high fat diet would cause diabetes much faster than a high sugar diet.
The study wasn't about vegetarians verses meat eaters, but rather high fat compared to high sugar.
There wasn't a reason given as to why vegetarians were least likely to get diabetes, but I thought it was because they didn't eat meats with a lot of fats. I think the biggest reason people become vegetarians is because they don't like to eat meat, for one reason or another.

I found this very interesting: He also says on a very low fat diet, the insulin that the body produces begins to become active again and will cure most diabetics within weeks.

Anyways, I've been eating low protein, low fat, low sugar and eating lots of vegetables, even starchy ones and lost 7 lbs in a week. A few times I didn't take a dose of one of my meds because I didn't need it. I took both meds in the morning but at dinner time I only needed to take one of them.

All the low carb blogs and or forums I belong to seem to push low carb, high fat, but I haven't really lost any weight eating this way. Not only that but the sweet recipes seem to use lots of nuts, fats and AS, which doesn't seem too healthy.

I'm going to stick to this diet, hopefully I will keep losing weight and maybe be able to stop all my diabetes meds.

Yennie, I think you're right, what works for one doesn't always work for another, we all have different health conditions and body chemistry.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
Your diet doesn't sound that different from the Low Glycemic Index Diet except for "starches".

Years ago I lost weight on Low Carb - in fact twice - and both times gained the weight back. This time I chose to eat a more healthy balanced WOE so I'd continue for life.

You should check out the Thread titled Low Fat High Carbs. Wukong has been amazing at his weight loss!

As you say, what works for one may not for another.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Joel fuhrman's Eat to Live program is a vegetarian diet that promises to cure most disorders. I actually loosely follow his protocol (more low carb though--the only fruits I eat are berries, and I use a low carb hummus and not so many beans). If you go to Fuhrman's website there are plenty of testimonies from people whose diabetes was at least relieved by his program--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ouis, I will check out Fuhrman's website. I'm mostly eating lots of green leafy veggies and lower carb veggies but I have included the higher starch ones like sweet potatoes, white potatoes, yams and winter squash, in small amounts, while eating low protein, low fat and no sugar except for berries and a small Granny Smith apple once in a while. I've also cut out dairy which seems to be agreeing with me.

So far I've lost 10 lbs and my BS has been great! I think I could stick to this way of eating for life. The only thing that's hard is not having the low carb sugar free baked goods, but I'm sure I can include those in once in a while in small amounts after I lose the weight.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i have been making a lupin muffin, which is consistent with fuhrman's love for beans. I use a tbs of eggwhite powder, davinci's and almond milk, and it has been good. Sometimes I need an afternoon sweet.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Good idea!! Thank you! I was planning on getting some lupin flour in my next Netrition order.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
That's awesome that its working for you! Several others have found that resistant starches help regulate their BS. In fact, it was fellow thread contributor Ouiz who started me on the idea of the potato hack & all the lovely things resistant starches can do for you. I don't have BS issues but combining the potatoes, rice & veggies - I feel the best I have in years. I'm not full ETL or PHD but slowly trending that way although I still eat meat on occasion.
I am so happy you're losing weight & regulating your BS. There is discussion on how the resistant starches work in potato threads on the JUDDD and paleo boards here on LCF. Can't link for you right bow as I'm on my phone. Sorry.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Yennie, I will check out those threads!

I'm not missing meats at all really. I was getting really frustrated trying to find grass fed and antibiotic free meats and poultry, but you really have go out of your way to find them and I just can't do that right now. I can't bring myself to buy the meats they sell in the stores either so right now this way of eating is working well.

I will probably stick to the lower carb veggies for now, until I lose the weight I need and see if I can get off my meds. I did notice a little but of a spike with the higher carb ones.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
I think you are on the right track Gina.
Being diabetic means that your body is more prone that way than others so you have to do things differently than other folks.....so if the low fat and low protein causes your body to produce more insulin that is of a good kind then I think that's what's good for your body. It s a very powerful thing when we get our bodies to naturally produce good insulin.
Eating low protein is not difficult, as that can be done by sometimes simply eating much smaller potions of protein.
I have started that and noticed a huge difference in my weight.
I have also been weary of my sweets recipe ingredients by consciously using the less fatty ones. Example, I will opt to use coconut flour instead of almond, and psyllium husk power( like Maria E does) and coconut milk and or coconut instead of diary in my recipes ....just to keep the fat and diary lower.
If I skip vegetables , my body is not a happy camper, which s exactly what Dr Furhman has indicated when your body gets use to good foods.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gina--I just want to say how lovely your new avatar is.

Since switching to a Fuhrman style eating plan, I really have such a minimal desire for sweets. It is so different for me. Veggies in all their different forms are incredibly satisfying. Sometimes I make a bowl of chocolate tofu pudding (a little soy now and then doesn't bother me) and that is incredibly satisfying.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Ouis!!

I have felt so much better since I started eating this way. I'm still losing weight and my BS has been really good too. I don't crave sweets hardly at all either. I do use coconut flour more than almond flour for baking. I eat a lot less protein and more vegetables, which I love anyways, so that's no hardship.

Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot!! I just ordered a fitness trampoline, hopefully it will be something I enjoy doing. If its fun I will be more likely to use it!