Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Thintuition Way Of Eating (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/802239-thintuition-way-eating.html)

Beeb 04-16-2013 06:02 AM

Thintuition Way Of Eating
 
I have just finished this book: The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens and I was blown away!! :eek: I use to eat like this and was always thin but down the road somewhere I forgot and started eating just to eat! Well after several tried, and failed "diets" and with the help of CoffeeCat, a fellow LCF :notwrthy: I found the free PDF of this book through Google, and started reading!

OMG, what a revelation and eye opener!! What have I been thinking all these years! I am starting this "mind change" today and am very excited about it!

There are no "rules" per say, just learning to re-read our body signals like we did as infants and eating only when truly hungry and stopping when we are almost full, not over full or stuffed.

Stevens give the example of a baby: Babies cry when they are truly hungry, and when being feed that naturally stop eating when that hungry is satisfied! You never see a baby look at a bottle and say "I have to eat all that now"! They eat what they need because they know (at least those who have food :sad:) that there will be more food when it's needed again, be it minutes away or hours away!

It makes perfect sense to me and getting to understand my body signals again after years of not listening and re-thinking my ideas about food and eating is going to be a challenge but I'm ready for this!!

Join me if you would like to try IE or Intuitive Eating as it's called! :shake:

jiggles 04-16-2013 06:16 AM

I downloaded the PDF last night but it was late so I didn't get too far. His "rules" remind me a lot of Paul McKenna's, which I've always thought made sense. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Recently I was starting to think about trying low carb again. But the reason I haven't started is because I know I can't stick to it long term. Maybe I need to come back to the IE way of thinking again. I struggle with it though because I'm worried I won't be able to lose weight this way.

My biggest problem with sticking to IE is that some foods just taste so darn good that I want to keep eating. When I've tried this before I found that I really don't need very much food at one sitting. But when it's so yummy, it's hard to stop at a small bit. I'm not sure how to overcome this.

CoffeeCat 04-16-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16376068)
I have just finished this book: The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens and I was blown away!! :eek: I use to eat like this and was always thin but down the road somewhere I forgot and started eating just to eat! Well after several tried, and failed "diets" and with the help of CoffeeCat, a fellow LCF :notwrthy: I found the free PDF of this book through Google, and started reading!

So glad you can relate! I have also had periods of my life where I wasn't dieting, and I'm still wondering how that changed. But it did, and I decided I wanted to go back to that, so I did.

So far, so good.

There are a lot of other books out there that deal with IE, but frankly, most of them are filled with psychobabble, IMO. That's what I like about The Overfed Head...it's very straightforward.

I haven't read the book he references in there (Diets Don't Work) but will try to get to it "one of these days."

CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat 04-16-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggles (Post 16376096)
I downloaded the PDF last night but it was late so I didn't get too far. His "rules" remind me a lot of Paul McKenna's, which I've always thought made sense. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

It is very similar, but what I didn't like about Paul McKenna's book are all those exercises. Maybe they work for other people, but I didn't find them necessary. I had the book from the library and it did have the CD in it, but I never listened. Have you used the CD, and if so, did you find it helpful?

Quote:

My biggest problem with sticking to IE is that some foods just taste so darn good that I want to keep eating. When I've tried this before I found that I really don't need very much food at one sitting. But when it's so yummy, it's hard to stop at a small bit. I'm not sure how to overcome this.
I know what you mean. What I've found helpful is to just keep reminding myself "I can have this whenever I want. I don't need to eat it all right now." I even promise myself that I can have it for breakfast if I want, but of course by the time I get up the next day I don't want it. Most of the time, anyway. :laugh:

CoffeeCat

jiggles 04-16-2013 10:18 AM

I never actually did the exercises in PM's book either. Except I did use the tapping technique for cravings and I think it actually worked for me.

I have used the CD but not consistently enough to make a difference, I think. I should try it though.

One of my issues with telling myself I can have something again later is that sometimes it's leftovers of a certain food and well, it just won't be as good after sitting. So, I feel like I should eat it all while it's nice and fresh. I know, excuses, but my brain just can't get around it.

Beeb 04-16-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCat (Post 16376343)
I know what you mean. What I've found helpful is to just keep reminding myself "I can have this whenever I want. I don't need to eat it all right now." I even promise myself that I can have it for breakfast if I want, but of course by the time I get up the next day I don't want it. Most of the time, anyway. :laugh:CoffeeCat

This is precisely what he talks about in his book; getting away with the "I need to eat this all right now" mentality that I think lots and lots of us have and I know I didn't have when I was thin! :sad: When I did JUDDD I use to say that I could have that higher calorie thing tomorrow and it's almost the same thought with IE, in my opinion. AND you CAN eat it if you want, but the way to do this is to listen to your body when it says "enough"! That could be 2 bites or 22 bites, but listening is what is needed, no limiting that something you love, it seems. This I can live with and had been living with for close to 45 years of my life! It was only in the last 10+/- years that I started to gain weight and that was because I ate "everything", I didn't want to waste food or had that thought of "I'm going to be hungry later if I don't eat now"! I had forgotten my own rules of just eating when I was hungry and only enough to stop myself from being hungry and THIS is one of the reasons I'm over weight! :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggles (Post 16376675)
One of my issues with telling myself I can have something again later is that sometimes it's leftovers of a certain food and well, it just won't be as good after sitting. So, I feel like I should eat it all while it's nice and fresh. I know, excuses, but my brain just can't get around it.

Some foods taste so much better "leftover", I think! And there is no reason you can't eat as much as you want, that is not the premise of this IE WOE. It's learning to stop when our bodies say "enough", not telling ourselves we can't have this or that. Think like a baby! They eat only when hungry and stop when they have had enough, never stuffed or so full they don't feel good!

Eating to intuition is a challenge, but I have done it and know I can do it again! It's the American way that needs to go away in my head; Eat too much and way too often or you will be hungry! It's NOT about this food or that food or limiting carbs, calories, etc. These will naturally happen when I learn again to only eat when I'm truly hungry and only eat enough to stop that hunger! I hardly ever ate "junk food" back in the day! I ate good, wholesome and yummy food! I just didn't want the snacky things, it seemed and would choose the veggies, fruits, etc over them more often than not! :up:

I was in Europe for 2 weeks, 2 years ago. Not once did I need to ask for a doggie bag when eating out because the portions were just enough to stop my hunger but not make me feel over stuffed! As a matter of fact when I had gotten dessert at one place and didn't want to eat it I asked for a doggie bag. They looked at me like I had another head on my shoulders and had no idea what I was talking about. :confused: I finally asked for foil and wrapped it myself to carry out. Our friends said they had never seen such a thing! :eek: Giant portions, over eating and doggie bags seem to only be an American thing and we all have bought into it!! :annoyed:

We eat too much because we have learned to either "eat it all and not to waste" or have convinced ourselves that "we better eat it now because we will be hungry later if we don't"! And we are bombarded with commercials, ads and talk about food ALL THE TIME!! I was watching TV at 1:30 AM last night and within the half hour of the show I was watching I saw 4 food commercials! 1:30 AM!! It was just insane and didn't make any sense to me at all! :dunno:

So, if I'm hungry later, I'll eat, but I will NOT overeat! I won't eat like it's my last meal, time and again or eat as if I will never be able to have this food I love again!

AND I'll waste if I have to so I can get back to the thin Beeb I use to be for 45 years without ever going on a diet again!! :up: I also know I will learn AGAIN the proper portion size for me and how to cook without having enough food left over to feed an army and then eat that food so I won't waste it or have it left over!

This book hit a cord so sharp in me last night I feel as if I was not only enlightened but awakened to my "Overfed Head" issues that can be corrected! :jumpjoy:

I went out to eat Chinese with my Mother today after a trying day in the Emergency Room with her (all is well, thank goodness! :aprayer:) where I only had one piece of toast this morning then some coffee and 3/4 of a snack bag of nuts all day because things were just too crazy to eat! I was very hungry by the time we sat down to order dinner so I ordered the normal chicken and garlic sauce dinner that came with soup, egg roll and veggie fried rice that I usually eat.

Even though I was very hungry I ate slowly, eating the way it was suggested in the book. I savored every morsel and mouthful and you know what? I ate about 1/3 of the whole dinner and my body told me enough, so I stopped! I had a whole plate of food left and my head said "eat more, you didn't eat enough, look at all that food left, you are going to be hungry later if you don't eat more"! :stars:

But I didn't listen to my head, I listened to my body signals and here I sit, not hungry, satisfied and not one bit over stuffed or feeling so full I want to just lay down and sleep!

This is why I mean to make IE my WOE for life, as it was before I "learned how to diet"!!! :up:

CoffeeCat 04-17-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggles (Post 16376675)

One of my issues with telling myself I can have something again later is that sometimes it's leftovers of a certain food and well, it just won't be as good after sitting. So, I feel like I should eat it all while it's nice and fresh. I know, excuses, but my brain just can't get around it.

I can understand what you're saying. Part of practicing IE requires you to be able to throw food away if you have to. If you're eating something you've prepared and you are full, and you think you will continue eating because it tastes so good (and believe me, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!), then you just have to put it in the disposal or the trash. I know how hard that is to do, but for me it's a small price to pay to have peace with food.

And jiggles you mentioned that you're afraid you won't lose weight if you practice IE. This is a legitimate concern, and I always advise people that if losing weight is a high priority for you then you're not really ready for IE. It takes time and patience, and you have to be able to put the diet mentality aside and not worry about your weight.

I am convinced, however, that if you DO have weight to lose and you practice IE consistently and correctly, you will eventually lose it. It will be much slower than on any restrictive diet, but it will stay off because you will continue to eat this way for the rest of your life.

CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat 04-17-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16377430)

I was in Europe for 2 weeks, 2 years ago. Not once did I need to ask for a doggie bag when eating out because the portions were just enough to stop my hunger but not make me feel over stuffed! As a matter of fact when I had gotten dessert at one place and didn't want to eat it I asked for a doggie bag. They looked at me like I had another head on my shoulders and had no idea what I was talking about. :confused: I finally asked for foil and wrapped it myself to carry out. Our friends said they had never seen such a thing! :eek: Giant portions, over eating and doggie bags seem to only be an American thing and we all have bought into it!! :annoyed:

American restaurants are notorious for their obscenely large servings. I was also in Europe two years ago and you are correct - they give you just enough food. (although in Prague the food was very heavy and I found I couldn't eat a lot of it) Whenever I go to any of my favorite restaurants I just ask them to bring out the "to go" box WITH the meal and pack up half of it before I even start eating.

You might enjoy a book called "French Women Don't Get Fat." I'm not recalling the name of the author right now, but you can google it. I got it from the library. Very interesting read.

Linda, I can relate to your story about your mother. Been there, done that. I took care of my mother when she was dying of cancer and spent many a day and night in the hospital, eating that hospital food. But at that time I didn't really put on a lot of weight. I was traveling back and forth 400 miles from my home to hers to do so. (she died in 2002) OTOH, I was also primary caregiver for my father and he was relocated to my area after Katrina, so I took care of him for the last six years of his life. The trips to the ER, stays in the hospital, and lots and lots of doctors visits were basically my job, along with taking care of all his finances. It was a labor of love and he was a wonderful, patient, and cooperative man which made it so much easier, but it's still very stressful. I'd just collapse on my sofa at night and mindlessly eat when I got home. (he died in 2011 at the age of 97)

Best of luck to you as you learn - or should I say RE-learn - the technique of IE. A word of warning, however - you won't be perfect. There will be days that you will overeat and/or eat mindlessly, even if you have the best of intentions. Life DOES get in the way. But the beauty of IE is that you can start over IMMEDIATELY.

One thing I have learned is this - try really, really hard to NEVER eat something you don't want, even if you're hungry. Sometimes that's not always possible, but for me, it messes up my whole day if I end up doing that in the morning. Also, the practice of mindful eating is very, very, VERY important. The more you concentrate on your food - really, really concentrate on it and savor it - the less you'll eat. It's that simple.

CoffeeCat

Beeb 04-17-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCat (Post 16378048)
American restaurants are notorious for their obscenely large servings. I was also in Europe two years ago and you are correct - they give you just enough food. (although in Prague the food was very heavy and I found I couldn't eat a lot of it) Whenever I go to any of my favorite restaurants I just ask them to bring out the "to go" box WITH the meal and pack up half of it before I even start eating.

You might enjoy a book called "French Women Don't Get Fat." I'm not recalling the name of the author right now, but you can google it. I got it from the library. Very interesting read.

Linda, I can relate to your story about your mother. Been there, done that. I took care of my mother when she was dying of cancer and spent many a day and night in the hospital, eating that hospital food. But at that time I didn't really put on a lot of weight. I was traveling back and forth 400 miles from my home to hers to do so. (she died in 2002) OTOH, I was also primary caregiver for my father and he was relocated to my area after Katrina, so I took care of him for the last six years of his life. The trips to the ER, stays in the hospital, and lots and lots of doctors visits were basically my job, along with taking care of all his finances. It was a labor of love and he was a wonderful, patient, and cooperative man which made it so much easier, but it's still very stressful. I'd just collapse on my sofa at night and mindlessly eat when I got home. (he died in 2011 at the age of 97)

Best of luck to you as you learn - or should I say RE-learn - the technique of IE. A word of warning, however - you won't be perfect. There will be days that you will overeat and/or eat mindlessly, even if you have the best of intentions. Life DOES get in the way. But the beauty of IE is that you can start over IMMEDIATELY.

One thing I have learned is this - try really, really hard to NEVER eat something you don't want, even if you're hungry. Sometimes that's not always possible, but for me, it messes up my whole day if I end up doing that in the morning. Also, the practice of mindful eating is very, very, VERY important. The more you concentrate on your food - really, really concentrate on it and savor it - the less you'll eat. It's that simple.

CoffeeCat

So sorry about your losses and your parents were very blessed with a loving, caring child like you! :hugs:

You make SO many good points, it's as if you were in my head last night with the way I was thinking about things and IE! :high5: I kept going over my eating habits I did before the age of 45 and I DID savor every bite, ate slowly, enjoyed my food and I never ate anything I didn't truly want. If what I wanted was not around I would wait or go to the store and get it. And yes, there were times I ate my whole steak dinner because I was that hungry, but 9 out of 10 times I would stop when the plate wasn't even half gone, like I did last night at the Chinese restaurant because I knew I had eaten enough and there was NO reason to eat more!

I was telling DH that at dinner last night, and eating slowly, I put a slice of carrot in my mouth and started to chew slowly and was totally amazed at the flavor! :yummy: And my thought was that I have eaten this carrot in this meal over and over and never really tasted it because I had my fork full and ready to shovel move food into my mouth even before I had started to chew the first fork full! :eek: If I do nothing else on IE THIS is going to be the one thing I re-learn: EAT SLOW AND SAVOR EVERY BITE!! I miss tasting my food, I realized that last night! :sad:

I'm actually surprised how easy this is for me from the start but I think it's because it's the way I USE to eat, not learning something new. I just needed a light bulb moment (thank you again coffeecat) to remember how I ate and how I stayed thin!

There is NO going back now! I'm determined to be the old Beeb again, at least in my thoughts about food and eating! Mindless eating needs to be a thing of the past and conscience eating has to be the way of the future for me! :up::D

I am down .6 pounds today and that is from a day yesterday where food was NOT an issue, or forever thoughts and I didn't count calories, watch my carbs, eat during a certain time window or anything else "diet' related! I just listened and ate when I needed to and only what was enough and I KNOW I NATURALLY ate less, thus the drop in weight today!! BONUS!! :clap:

And losing weight IS a bonus to me, but NOT the deciding factor in doing this IE WOE at all. I just want my good relationship with food/eating back and THAT is the bottom line! :agree::steak::eggs::yahoo:

CoffeeCat 04-17-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16378266)
So sorry about your losses and your parents were very blessed with a loving, caring child like you! :hugs:

Thanks so much for those kind words.

Quote:

And losing weight IS a bonus to me, but NOT the deciding factor in doing this IE WOE at all. I just want my good relationship with food/eating back and THAT is the bottom line! :agree::steak::eggs::yahoo:
I feel the same way. It took me awhile to get rid of the scale, but I did that as well. I just want to have peace with food.

Really, boiling it all down, IE is just plain common sense. Dieting is an unnatural state. Done long enough, it totally messes your mind up about food.

There are two sisters, last name of Moss, who practice and teach IE in England. I've watched some of their videos on YouTube (search for Beyond Chocolate) and in one of them one of the ladies says something like "You don't need to be told when to pee. Why do you need to be told when to eat?" That says it all, I think.

lc-chica 04-17-2013 07:24 AM

I read a few books like this in the past - Intuitive Eating, Bethany Frankel's "Naturally Thin," and a book called Emotional Eating. I liked the latter the best actually. I gained weight on Intuitive Eating LOL. But eventually it kind of helped a little.

One thing I took away and still think until this day is "you can throw it away in the garbage or you can treat your body like a garbage." People often think they should finish something (especially at restaurants, where they give way too much food) because it is wasteful to toss it. Well I don't want to treat my body like a garbage! When people comment on "wasting" and I say this, they don't really seem to "get it" but oh well!

Beeb 04-17-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCat (Post 16378323)
Thanks so much for those kind words.



I feel the same way. It took me awhile to get rid of the scale, but I did that as well. I just want to have peace with food.

Really, boiling it all down, IE is just plain common sense. Dieting is an unnatural state. Done long enough, it totally messes your mind up about food.

There are two sisters, last name of Moss, who practice and teach IE in England. I've watched some of their videos on YouTube (search for Beyond Chocolate) and in one of them one of the ladies says something like "You don't need to be told when to pee. Why do you need to be told when to eat?" That says it all, I think.

:heart::love: THIS!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc-chica (Post 16378449)
I read a few books like this in the past - Intuitive Eating, Bethany Frankel's "Naturally Thin," and a book called Emotional Eating. I liked the latter the best actually. I gained weight on Intuitive Eating LOL. But eventually it kind of helped a little.

One thing I took away and still think until this day is "you can throw it away in the garbage or you can treat your body like a garbage." People often think they should finish something (especially at restaurants, where they give way too much food) because it is wasteful to toss it. Well I don't want to treat my body like a garbage! When people comment on "wasting" and I say this, they don't really seem to "get it" but oh well!

:welcome: to our thread and like the "garbage" analogy a lot!! Going to use that when needed, thanks!! :hugs::shake:

CoffeeCat 04-18-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lc-chica (Post 16378449)
I read a few books like this in the past - Intuitive Eating, Bethany Frankel's "Naturally Thin," and a book called Emotional Eating. I liked the latter the best actually. I gained weight on Intuitive Eating LOL. But eventually it kind of helped a little.

One thing I took away and still think until this day is "you can throw it away in the garbage or you can treat your body like a garbage." People often think they should finish something (especially at restaurants, where they give way too much food) because it is wasteful to toss it. Well I don't want to treat my body like a garbage! When people comment on "wasting" and I say this, they don't really seem to "get it" but oh well!

Welcome! Excellent point about treating your body like garbage - which is what we do when we stuff it with food we don't need.

There are a lot of good books regarding IE. The one most people reference is the Tribole/Resch book "Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works." I guess this makes me a heretic, but I didn't care for this book at all. Way too much psychobabble for me, and it really made a simple concept complicated. But they've sort of been set up as the IE "gurus." I've tried reading over some of their support thread and honestly, it gives me a headache. So much self-analyzing and introspective thinking... I realize that many people have lots of emotional issues tied up in their weight problems, but honestly, to practice IE you really need to just accept the fact that you eat too much (regardless of the reason) and get on with it.

I've heard about Bethany Frankel's book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Sounds like a good one.

CoffeeCat

Beeb 04-18-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCat (Post 16380128)
I realize that many people have lots of emotional issues tied up in their weight problems, but honestly, to practice IE you really need to just accept the fact that you eat too much (regardless of the reason) and get on with it.CoffeeCat

:goodpost: and just what I was thinking last night!! I am eating probably 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was eating before and still feel satisfied and at times too full and when I think back to just last week at this time and how much food I was eating at each meal (sometimes more than my DH of 202 pounds was eating! :eek:) I can understand just how much I REALLY don't need to feel good and feel healthy and well fed. :up:

I'm eating when I'm truly hungry and I needed to figure out, by my body signals, when this was. I was waiting for that "empty belly" feeling or rumblings but they never come so I took stock and tried to figure out what else is my body doing to tell me it's hungry. I get a dull headache when it's almost time to eat and then this will go to a full out headache when I'm in the "I'm starving" mode. So, when the dull headache starts I start to think about what I really want to eat, and by the time I figure this out and prepare the food that headache in right in the middle of dull and full out and THIS is how I know I'm truly hungry and it's chow time!! :D

Also I have taken to the taste of food to know when to stop eating. To me the food loses it's "taste" and good flavor that I get from the first bites, all the spices and googy goodness in layers. When the bites start to all taste the same it's time to stop eating. And what is funny is how yesterday's chicken breast only got half eaten because by the time I got to the "lost taste/flavor" stop point that is exactly how much chicken I had eaten, half and I truly had eaten enough once I stopped and thought about it. Headache gone, feeling satisfied but not full or stuffed. I will now use this "marker" with all my foods, even the yummy stuff like chocolate and sweets and will stop when it starts to lose it's yummy layers of taste/flavor. :up:

I'm down another .6 pounds and I have hit a low today I have not seen since January and I'm very pleased and I did this eating exactly what I wanted with no restrictions or time tables and by just listening to my body again!! And OMG :eek: :clap:my thoughts about food are changing at a rapid rate, I'm just amazed! Still have to "stop and re-think" the concept of it's breakfast/lunch/dinner I better eat or I really should have something because I'm on the run and may be hungry later, etc.; all the old diet ways of thinking that will take time to change, but changing they are, one at a time and one day at a time!! ;):clap:

Beeb 04-18-2013 02:00 PM

I got to practice "eating only what I really wanted" today! I wanted a slice of Sicilian type pizza; thick, crusty, crispy, googy with cheese and sauce! This was EXACTLY what I wanted so I stopped in every pizza place on my way home from running around doing chores until I found this type of pizza. :p

It took me 3 places but it was worth all the searching! The pizza was amazing, I ate as much as I wanted until I had enough and even had a bit to take home for breakfast tomorrow AND ate EXACTLY what I was hungry for! :yummy:

The first 2 places had amazing looking sliced pizza, all kinds of toppings. :yummy: Before I would have settled and would have eaten a substitute so I wouldn't have to go searching for the Sicilian pizza. BUT in doing so I would not have been satisfied and probably would have over eaten! :down:

I'm glad I waited and got what I wanted! It made all the difference, I believe, in how much I ate and being totally satisfied in the end!! :up:

Beeb 04-19-2013 05:52 AM

Down another .2 this morning and I ate like a queen yesterday!!! Pizza, left over Chinese, big salad, and some snacky things (on the run yesterday and will be making healthier food choices today! ;)) and still lost weight!

I'm just loving how I feel not being stuffed/over full! AND I :heart::love: that I'm not thinking about food all the time!! I watched TV last night and even through the commercials for food and the cooking shows I was watching I didn't think to eat something.

I did ask myself a few times if I was hungry and the answer was "Nope"! Before I would just eat something to because the stuff on TV "made me hungry" but it wasn't making me hungry, it was the suggestion of it that made my head think I wanted something!!

I'm sure you are thinking HOW can she be so sure about this WOE and know it's a good fit after only 3 days but please remember this WOE is how I ate for 45 years and then decided to lose a couple of pounds, went on a "diet" and the rest is history! At 45 I was 140 pounds and wanted to lose 4 -5 pounds to get back to 135/136. Now at 55 I'm 152.6 pounds after 10 years of trying to get that 4 -5 pounds off and this is a low for me since January! :down: I have been up to 168 after going off a "diet" when I got to goal and gaining everything PLUS so much more back!:eek::annoyed:

Yup, I'm on my soap box here! I'm not downing dieting at all, just finding once again that IE (intuitive eating) is the BEST fit for me!! And also thinking maybe this is why JUDDD worked so well for me; I ate low calories every other day because I had to but looking back I was pretty satisfied with those low calories most days. Apparently I really DON'T need that much food to be satisfied but my head thought I did! :doh:

lc-chica 04-19-2013 06:03 AM

Wow, Beeb, awesome that this is working for you. You are definitely working IT!

I love the "garbage" analogy. The books have definitely helped me to realize that if I feel full, why would I want to stuff myself until I feel sick? It's crazy how many people comment on "not finishing your meal" because it is wasting food. The analogy makes complete sense to me, do I throw the trash in my body and feel sick? That makes no sense. If it is more food than I need right now, then it is garbage and should go in the trash, not in me! (or save it for later)

Mistizoom 04-19-2013 02:29 PM

Subbing to this thread, I'll need to come back and read it all later. I plan to continue to eat low carb, but I think at least some of the intuitive eating techniques are for me.

mojocat 04-19-2013 03:14 PM

Beeb, I don't really want to get another book. My bedroom is full of them (DH complaining) and so is my kindle, and I'm suffering from information overload at the moment.

Can you basically give me the headlines please. Is it just eat slowly, enjoy the food, stop when you are hungry - is that it or are there some strategies that you can use. So if you have a plate of food instead of the "eat your vegies, then the meat, then the carbs" you would just eat the one that you want first i.e. the steak.

I have the Weight Apocolypse by Robin Woodall and she is very much into intuitive eating. I have always rejected it because it's that ONE bite of anything that awakens hunger. That is why I seem to do much better with fasting. It's having these set alternate day fasts that seem to screw my head and make me feel like I'm in gaol.

mojocat 04-20-2013 01:59 AM

Never mind gals I previewed it and seemed really interesting so I've downloaded it...more reading... It's scary though, I mean it all sounds fantastic and freeing, and oh my gosh I wish I had that mindset with food but I'm scared to surrender like that and trust my body.
Eat when hungry, eat what you want and stop when you've had enough....I just get anxious thinking about this.

Avicenna 04-20-2013 03:19 AM

I think this would depend on the individual. Since you say you have mostly been thin your whole life, it might work for you.

However, I would suspect that a lot of us here (particularly those who had to deal with childhood or teenage obesity) have physiological reasons about why our metabolisms are not working properly, or why our bodies are not sending/receiving appropriate food signals, such as insulin resistance, or in the theory behind the leptin resistance diet. So, in these cases, I think a more physiologically oriented approach is probably going to be more effective. (As Gary Taubes put it, for many people, being overweight is a medical condition like any other medical condition and not just psychological.)

However, I am genuinely glad that it works for you!

mojocat 04-20-2013 03:35 AM

? Are you referring to me Avicenna or confusing me with someone else?

Beeb 04-20-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avicenna (Post 16383932)
I think this would depend on the individual. Since you say you have mostly been thin your whole life, it might work for you.

However, I would suspect that a lot of us here (particularly those who had to deal with childhood or teenage obesity) have physiological reasons about why our metabolisms are not working properly, or why our bodies are not sending/receiving appropriate food signals, such as insulin resistance, or in the theory behind the leptin resistance diet. So, in these cases, I think a more physiologically oriented approach is probably going to be more effective. (As Gary Taubes put it, for many people, being overweight is a medical condition like any other medical condition and not just psychological.)

However, I am genuinely glad that it works for you!

Thank you and I tend to agree with you here, BUT I know a few people (just found this out in the last 2 days) that have been eating this way for years and one even showed me a picture of themselves from childhood (she carries it around as reminder to not ever go there again weight wise) who as extremely over weight as a child. One of her Mom's friends turned the mother onto this WOE and started my friend on it when she was in her teens. Lost all the weight and has eaten this way since. For her, and myself now, it seems this can work. For others, perhaps not. The thing I see is why not be able to go LC, Low calorie, or whatever and just learn to eat intuitively? I can see this being a great benefit to many, resisted to carbs, sugar, or whatever we are resisted to because you do get to eat what YOU want to eat, and just learn again to listen to your body as you did as a baby, per say! It takes time and a lot of "listening" but once that "little voice/rumble/headache/whatever" that tells us we are hungry, TRULY hungry kicks in it becomes second nature, at least to me. :) AND if eating intuitively has the bonus of us losing weight how can it not be a good thing medically and mentally? :confused:;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16383935)
? Are you referring to me Avicenna or confusing me with someone else?

She is talking to me, as I see it. I'm so sorry you feel fear that this WOE may not be for you. It's not a scary thing, at least to me, just learning to REALLY listen again to your body signals about hungry. What I found scary and makes me SO fearful is going on a diet again and causing my eating issues like binging and terrible night eating to surface again, which I KNOW will happen and have proven to myself over and over again in the last year!
Yes, it takes time and sometimes thinking and over thinking but already I can spot the "hungry" signal that is truly body hunger and not the "head hungry" signal that has made me over eat for the last 10 years! I'm just loving this and everyday gets easier and easier! I just LOVE :heart: NOT being on a diet anymore!! :up:

Beeb 04-20-2013 06:12 AM

Down another .2 this morning after a good day of intuitive eating and also eating out last night! :jumpjoy:

Weekends have always been my issue when it came to over eating since we eat out so much, but even going to Buffalo Wild Wings last night I didn't over eat at all! Ate as much as I wanted and stopped when I was just to full. I was kinda uncomfortable being at that full mark though, and I should have stopped a bite or 2 before. Testing the grounds, so to speak, and I did not like that feeling of full at all! :down:

Lesson learned and another day down toward that lesson and my intuitive eating lifestyle! :clap:

Mistizoom 04-20-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avicenna (Post 16383932)
I think this would depend on the individual. Since you say you have mostly been thin your whole life, it might work for you.

However, I would suspect that a lot of us here (particularly those who had to deal with childhood or teenage obesity) have physiological reasons about why our metabolisms are not working properly, or why our bodies are not sending/receiving appropriate food signals, such as insulin resistance, or in the theory behind the leptin resistance diet. So, in these cases, I think a more physiologically oriented approach is probably going to be more effective. (As Gary Taubes put it, for many people, being overweight is a medical condition like any other medical condition and not just psychological.)

However, I am genuinely glad that it works for you!

I've looked into intuitive eating a bit before this thread, and I've been overweight since childhood. One of my issues is eating when I'm not hungry, and perhaps especially not stopping eating when I am no longer hungry. As I said in my previous post I plan to continue to eat LC - eating whatever I wanted got me to where I was in the first place. But learning to listen to at least some of my body's signals surely isn't a bad thing.

CoffeeCat 04-20-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16384264)
I've looked into intuitive eating a bit before this thread, and I've been overweight since childhood. One of my issues is eating when I'm not hungry, and perhaps especially not stopping eating when I am no longer hungry. As I said in my previous post I plan to continue to eat LC - eating whatever I wanted got me to where I was in the first place. But learning to listen to at least some of my body's signals surely isn't a bad thing.

I completely agree with your last statement.

I've maintained that IE isn't for everyone - I'm not convinced that people who've had issues with food since childhood can't learn and live the principles of IE, but I do believe it's more difficult for them. Like Linda I've had long stretches of time in my life where I did not have a weight problem nor did I ever really think about food, so no doubt it's easier for me.

What I do absolutely know for a fact is that to be successful with IE, one really does have to stop focusing on weight loss. When I first heard that I dismissed it out of hand, but the more I've practiced IE the more I've discovered that this is absolutely true. Now it was easy for me to do that as I am not significantly overweight, but I think it would be very difficult for someone who has a fair amount of weight to lose.

From reading various accounts of people who have been successful with IE, the one thing I've learned that they all have in common is this - they had dieted so much and gotten so fed up with the up and down nature of their weight that they finally had just had enough. I completely understand that, because it happened to me as well. I knew that I was completely finished with dieting. Again, it's easy for me to do that because I've never been seriously overweight (never in the obese category on the BMI charts) and at my age I know that if I've never gone that high before I won't do it now. Maybe that's arrogant, but I think of it as just logical. I point this all out just to show that each person's situation is different.

I believe that people cannot truly be successful with IE until they feel that they have no other choice left. If you're not there yet, then I agree that you should stay on your current plan. Certainly incorporating the "eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, savor every bite" practices will only help you along. So I see exactly what you're saying.

CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat 04-20-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16384091)
Down another .2 this morning after a good day of intuitive eating and also eating out last night! :jumpjoy:

Weekends have always been my issue when it came to over eating since we eat out so much, but even going to Buffalo Wild Wings last night I didn't over eat at all! Ate as much as I wanted and stopped when I was just to full. I was kinda uncomfortable being at that full mark though, and I should have stopped a bite or 2 before. Testing the grounds, so to speak, and I did not like that feeling of full at all! :down:

Lesson learned and another day down toward that lesson and my intuitive eating lifestyle! :clap:

Linda - I eat out all the time, so I've sort of mastered the art of practicing IE in restaurants. If I have a lot left over I just package it up and bring it home.

On another note - a wonderful person who first introduced me to IE recently suggested another free ebook to read. It was the Gabriel Method - not sure if anyone here is familiar with it or not. Anyway, you can google "Gabriel Method free ebook pdf" (without the quotes) and the link will appear at the top. She also had joined his forum free for a month but she told me that she didn't subscribe because she noticed that a lot of the people on the forum still had a real fear of food, particularly any type of processed food.

So I downloaded the book to read and the first thing I noticed is that, unlike The Overfed Head, there was a lot of psychology of weight loss in there. That was a turn-off for me, although it might be very helpful to others. So I decided to skip over that part and get to the meat of his "method."

I started reading that section of the book and he does tell you to not deny yourself anything to begin with, but his theory is that once you get the "not so healthy" stuff out of your system you'll start craving good foods. The Overfed Head states that as well (as does the Tribole/Resch book AND a lot of the Geneen Roth books, I'm given to understand), but he seems to go a lot further in that regard. So much so that he starts telling his readers that there are certain things you HAVE to give your body every day so that the cravings will begin to stop.

I completely understand where he's coming from, but the minute I started reading that - even though I know it has validity - I stopped reading the book.

I don't want anyone telling me that I can't have anything I want to eat, and conversely, I don't want anyone telling me that I have to eat certain things. Now, if I were 200 lbs overweight like he was when he first started, maybe I'd feel differently. No doubt I'd be desperate at that point, and perhaps it would resonate with me.

He does say that you have to accept that you may never lose any weight and that he did that even at 400 lbs. He said he'd have been happy not gaining any more. I can relate to that. He also says to get rid of the scale. I really resisted that at first, but when I was finally able to let go of it I felt tremendous relief.

He's got a lot of mental "exercises" in there that I just skimmed over. I really don't think all that's necessary. I think just stopping and savoring your food is exercise enough for me. But I really don't like reading about the psychology of why people are overweight (and he really goes into that in a big way). People just have a tendency to way over-think something that's pretty simple actually.

But I throw it out there because there may be something helpful in the book for others who are struggling. As I said in my previous post, everyone is different, and we all walk different paths. So it's a free resource for anyone who's interested.

CoffeeCat

mojocat 04-20-2013 02:19 PM

Beeb I'm not saying this WOE isn't for me. It makes a lot of sense to me but the only problem I'm concerned about is undoing all my good work from the past 12 months. For instance I have given up sugar and starch. Since that time a lot of health issues have cleared up, I don't feel sleepy during the day, no fatigue or dizzy spells and I haven't caught a cold in well over 12 months and the latter is amazing in itself. When those cakes come out at work I resist them and don't feel deprived. Not to say I wouldn't mind eating one, I'm not a saint, but resist because I know if I get that sugar hit I won't be able to stop and how horrible I will feel healthwise if I open the sugar door.

From what I read of this book to free yourself means allowing yourself to eat anything you want. Now if I happen to really want and be hungry for those junky foods, crisps, white chocolate licorice balls or those nuts which are a huge trigger for me as I can't stop at one, that is what scares me, bringing those trigger foods and sugar back into my life. From my experience I see nothing..nothing..good about sugar... for my body it's the biggest poison around.

So I can't/won't do this WOE 100% as he recommends. I would though do it using the rules that have worked for me. No sugar, junk, starch but eating my allowed foods only when hungry and stopping according to the hunger scale. But this is not complying with his recommendations of eating anything I want, so I'm not sure it would even work for me. But definitely, I will try to only eat when hungry and not by the clock or when society deems it. And I am so happy it works for you Beeb. I have followed you since JUDDD and I have the same issues with JUDDD as you did which makes me annoyed with myself because I think it's a wonderful WOE for those who don't get our issues from it.

mojocat 04-20-2013 02:27 PM

Coffecat remember also that Jon Gabriel (I have his book) and Rob Stevens are men. Men lose weight quicker and have less cravings than women due to hormonal issues. You put a wife and husband on the same WOE and no prizes for guessing who loses the weight quickly and easily. My DH doesn't crave or want sugar, cookies junk - actually he craves for nothing, maybe wine, he has no interest in the cake or cookies, neither do my brothers nor in fact most of the males I know are that way. Give them a steak, hot dog, beer and they are happy as pigs in mud.

Beeb 04-21-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojocat (Post 16384786)
So I can't/won't do this WOE 100% as he recommends. I would though do it using the rules that have worked for me. No sugar, junk, starch but eating my allowed foods only when hungry and stopping according to the hunger scale. But this is not complying with his recommendations of eating anything I want, so I'm not sure it would even work for me. But definitely, I will try to only eat when hungry and not by the clock or when society deems it. And I am so happy it works for you Beeb. I have followed you since JUDDD and I have the same issues with JUDDD as you did which makes me annoyed with myself because I think it's a wonderful WOE for those who don't get our issues from it.

:high5: :goodpost: This is the way to do what is right for you! I agree, make it your own! I have and even though I know I can eat whatever I want I am actually looking for healthier choices and actually craving these instead of the junky stuff I use to eat! :dunno::) I'm happy about this, too because junk is junk and never any good for us so you are so right about sugar, junk, and processed starches being :sick:!! I'm :clap: to see you may give it a try and am looking forward to your postings on how it's working for you! :console:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 PM.