Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #31
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
DOWN 1 POUND THIS MORNING! OMG, I'm just loving this because I really believe my metabolism has kicked back in to gear again and my body is liking this Thintuition WOE like it did when I was younger!

I was talking to my kids (26 and 23 years old) yesterday and telling them about how I was eating again. They both had the same reaction: "This is the way YOU taught us to eat, how come you stopped doing it? We still eat this way all the time without even thinking about it"! Wow, was that an eye opener! My kids are both thin and healthy, eating great foods, not junk and I taught them this! Now I not forget and I will never stop eating intuitively again!

Going on my Honeymoon (finally) for the next 2 weeks and will eat mindfully, eat until almost full and NOT make food the focus of our cruise and sightseeing! BUT I will taste what I want and enjoy it!! See you all when I get back and will post if I can get internet service!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Have a wonderful time on your cruise! You are going to a beautiful area.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Beeb, you're doing so great! Have a great time on your honeymoon.
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCat View Post
And jiggles you mentioned that you're afraid you won't lose weight if you practice IE. This is a legitimate concern, and I always advise people that if losing weight is a high priority for you then you're not really ready for IE. It takes time and patience, and you have to be able to put the diet mentality aside and not worry about your weight.
I am convinced, however, that if you DO have weight to lose and you practice IE consistently and correctly, you will eventually lose it. It will be much slower than on any restrictive diet, but it will stay off because you will continue to eat this way for the rest of your life.

CoffeeCat
I've been thinking a lot about this and I don't think I'm ready for IE at this point. I really hope to get there one day but right now I'm too worried about getting this weight off. I do think it could happen with IE (just a lot slower) but I don't think I couldn't handle the slow progress right now. I agree that you have to put the diet mentality behind you for IE to work. I'm definitely not there yet.

I'm going to give JUDDD another go. Well, it's more of a 4:3 plan as I've never really done the complete EOD thing. I had a down day yesterday and it went okay. I just really need to focus on not overeating on the regular days to try overcompensate for the DDs. This week will be kind of a bust as there are a lot of events going on this week so I won't be able to do a full 4:3 but I know there will be better weeks. I'll just do the best I can this week.

My SO is also trying JUDDD this time as he has some weight to lose. Hopefully we'll be able to support each other and stick with it. Although, I have my doubts that he'll be able to but maybe this will be different for him.

Anyway, I appreciate the support and will still be checking in here to see how everyone else is doing.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CoffeeCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this and I don't think I'm ready for IE at this point. I really hope to get there one day but right now I'm too worried about getting this weight off. I do think it could happen with IE (just a lot slower) but I don't think I couldn't handle the slow progress right now. I agree that you have to put the diet mentality behind you for IE to work. I'm definitely not there yet.

I'm going to give JUDDD another go. Well, it's more of a 4:3 plan as I've never really done the complete EOD thing. I had a down day yesterday and it went okay. I just really need to focus on not overeating on the regular days to try overcompensate for the DDs. This week will be kind of a bust as there are a lot of events going on this week so I won't be able to do a full 4:3 but I know there will be better weeks. I'll just do the best I can this week.

My SO is also trying JUDDD this time as he has some weight to lose. Hopefully we'll be able to support each other and stick with it. Although, I have my doubts that he'll be able to but maybe this will be different for him.

Anyway, I appreciate the support and will still be checking in here to see how everyone else is doing.
Everyone has to come to IE in their own time. You are wise to recognize that it's not going to work for you. It's really no different than choosing between diet plans - what works for one is not suitable for another.

I hope you will continue to check in with us. Keep us updated on your progress!

CoffeeCat
CoffeeCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks for it.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #37

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hope you have the most wonderful honeymoon Linda.

I am so glad this is working for you. I was very active on an IE thread here back 7 or so years ago. My lovely DD and I went on a cruise and we both lost weight while having the most wonderful food.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

X

What changed for you, Cindy? I mean, why the change from IE to Juddd?
Curious minds and all of that.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #39

I found that I am not very good at eating mindfully. That is who I am. I chatter constantly, the wine glass is in my hand too often.

It worked when I did it, but I so often did not do it.

Interestingly I get closer to it while following 5:2 than I have for a long time. I am relaxed around food and don't feel I have to consume what I am 'allowed' in a hurry.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for that. I seem to be approaching it as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I found that I am not very good at eating mindfully. That is who I am. I chatter constantly, the wine glass is in my hand too often.

It worked when I did it, but I so often did not do it.

Interestingly I get closer to it while following 5:2 than I have for a long time. I am relaxed around food and don't feel I have to consume what I am 'allowed' in a hurry.
Hi Cindy!

I think different plans work for different people. It's interesting that you mentioned the wine. Back in February I decided once again to "diet" and I also decided to cut out my nightly wine as it also led me to mindless snacking. So I said I wasn't going to drink for 90 days, and I'm getting toward the end of that 90 day period. I have a wedding to go to in a little more than 2 weeks (Mother's Day weekend) and that long weekend will be the first time I will have had alcohol since Feb. 1.

I've lost about 9 lbs since Feb, but some of that was a 3-week foray into low-carb eating (although I wasn't super-strict about it). I still think giving up the nightly wine/snacking combo is probably responsible for most of that loss.

I've been doing IE since March 1, and even though I'm not weighing on a regular basis I did have to weigh Monday for a specific reason, and I'm down 3 lbs since I last weighed in early March. Now that's with doing IE for almost two months. Not a huge weight loss, but then again, I went into IE with no expectation of any weight loss. I'm about 15 lbs overweight right now and would love to lose more, but I'm so OVER dieting that if it takes me a year to lose it, so be it.

The idea of fasting for a couple of days a week actually has some appeal to me, and I can see me doing that occasionally for the health benefits. I loved Dr. Mosley's video "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" and was intrigued, to say the least. But I don't think I could do it long term.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I completely agree that IE is not for everyone.

CoffeeCat
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #42

Thanks CoffeCat, I hope perhaps one day to be more of an intuitive eater.

You are doing wonderfully and it must be great not to be in dieting mode constantly.

I am maintaining so it is pretty easy for me to feel as if I am hardly dieting. I am going to Turkey for a week of relaxation on Saturday and my plan while there is to eat intuitively as much as possible. I certainly will not be having any fasting days.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Where is everybody?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Sorry - I've been really busy getting ready to go to an out-of-town wedding and haven't been around much. I'm also very active on another much more active forum dealing with IE as well as non-dieting in general.

I do want to share another resource I've just recently learned about. There's a young woman named Josie Spinardi who has written a book about IE, although again I don't think she calls it that. I don't have the book, but I have watched her videos. If you search for josielenore on youtube you'll find her channel.

Things are going well for me. I continue to eat only when hungry, and eat only what I want. My clothes fit me just fine. Some days I'm a little more bloated than others, depending on what I eat. But that's just life in general, right?

I never feel guilty about what I eat, regardless of what it is. That, I think, has been the biggest "leap forward" for me when it comes to eating. When I don't feel guilty, I don't feel the need to over-indulge in anticipation of restricting future intake to compensate for that "oh so bad food" I ate.

Love Josie's ideas about "Eating Because You Ate." I can relate to that!

CoffeeCat
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #45

Hello all!! Back from Honeymoon and doing well. There was a 2 pound gain but I ate EVERYTHING I wanted and then some so 2 pounds makes me feel good! I am getting back into IE again (lost it a bit on vacation ) and have already lost .2 pounds as of this morning.

It's good to see everyone if finding what is working for them and applying what they know will help the to lose, maintain or just feel better!

Good to be home!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Glad you had a great time. Home always looks wonderful, though!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #47

Quote:
I never feel guilty about what I eat, regardless of what it is. That, I think, has been the biggest "leap forward" for me when it comes to eating. When I don't feel guilty, I don't feel the need to over-indulge in anticipation of restricting future intake to compensate for that "oh so bad food" I ate.CoffeeCat
THIS ^^^^^ hits it right on the head for me!! I still have those "can't have, too many calories, too many carbs, not the right time, etc." days but they are getting better and better. My binging is not here anymore and I'm feeling very good with my relationship with food again or I should say my lack of thoughts about food unless I feel then need to refuel.

What is funny is as I was eating "all I wanted" on my cruise I found it was very little compared to what I would have eaten before IE. Only one day I felt "stuffed" and that was the day I waited too long to eat and then ate out of being starving and not because I was just hungry. Lesson learned, now I don't wait too long.

Dropped another .2 pounds from yesterday and steadily going down!!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #48

How is everyone doing?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #49

Still here, still doing this but have been side tracked by my vacation and issues with family so I'm NOT eating too well and eating way too much at times. Right now my focus is getting life back to a some what less drama normal but I do now know when I've over eaten and this is a good thing for me because usually I just would keep eating out of stress.

My binging is lurking around the corner and has gotten to me a few times but one day and one step at the time and I'll get back to "me" again!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #50

Sounds like you're still making progress, Beeb, even though life gets in the way.

And I think taking things one day at a time is a good way to do it.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread. I've been away since May and like so many others, the New Year brought new resolutions.

I was doing SO well with intuitive eating, and then as often happens I got off-track. Stopped eating mindfully and of course started putting on weight. Then I made the terrible mistake of falling back into the diet mentality, and that was disastrous.

But in one way I'm glad that it happened, because it reinforced the fact that - at least for me - diets are no longer an option. I simply cannot restrict myself like that any longer.

I have been diligent in my mindful eating since the first of the year, and once again the weight is slipping off. No longer does hunger = crisis, as it often does when one is on any type of restrictive food program.

This time, however, I am really giving much more attention to what I choose to eat, and I've learned that many of the foods I thought were so delicious just really aren't. Sometimes when I'm out and I know that I need to stop somewhere to eat, it is a struggle to decide where. Places that once were my "go to" places to eat no longer are, because when I really started paying attention to what I was eating there, I realized that most of what I was eating was way down on the pleasure scale.

Conversely, there are a few that I return to time and time again because I know I will have a delicious, satisfying meal there - and that meal will fill me up so that I am not scrounging around looking for something to satisfy me.

I do eat out a lot - always have - so IE works well with that. I have no problem eating alone (most of the time I am alone) so it's easy to be mindful of what I'm consuming.

I have sworn off eating in front of the TV, as that is my biggest downfall and one of the reasons I got away from IE over the last few months. It makes a big difference.

Hope to hear from others who are practicing IE. I did a search for this on the forums but all the other threads on IE were older than this one.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
That book was a really good primer for me. I can't or won't follow programs, but Overfed Head gave me very good insight into what I am trying to accomplish and helped me answer the question I found very hard to answer, When am I hungry?

Hard to believe someone couldn't identify what is a very physical, biological question. Sure, my emotional questions that I can't answer (and they are legion) aren't surprising but that is a separate issue.

I sometimes eat alone, sometimes not. Nearly always while doing something else. I would find that difficult to give up. It doesn't seem to be a problem for me fortunately.
I generally don't like when others who are done eating while I'm still trying to eat and enjoy my food are having a conversation around me that I'm not involved in. However, I've discovered that I can be involved in a conversation even with carbs on my plate and then look down and find that I have NOT eaten something I didn't intend to. IOW, I can eat and talk at the same time without tripping.

I marvel at the things I learned from OH that never occurred to me. I don't HAVE to eat 4 pieces of pizza at one sitting and then another 2 cold ones for breakfast. I don't HAVE to eat half a bag of potato chips. Okay, I DID know that I shouldn't eat a whole bag of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies at one time but I did anyway. And now I feel that, yes, I can have just one but truly enjoy it and be satisfied with that.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
That book was a really good primer for me. I can't or won't follow programs, but Overfed Head gave me very good insight into what I am trying to accomplish and helped me answer the question I found very hard to answer, When am I hungry?
I've read a lot of literature regarding IE, but I still haven't found anything better than Overfed Head. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in the principles of intuitive eating.

Quote:
I sometimes eat alone, sometimes not. Nearly always while doing something else. I would find that difficult to give up. It doesn't seem to be a problem for me fortunately.
And this is what I love about IE; each person discovers what works best for him/her and can tailor it to their specific needs. I get so annoyed when reading about various diets that try to pigeonhole individuals into a specific way of eating.

For me, distracted eating IS a real problem. But I can certainly understand that it may not be for others. So why should they try to break a habit that isn't harmful for them?

This is why I have a problem with the Intuitive Eating book (Tribole/Resch). Too many steps, too much drama, and waaaayyy too much psychobabble. It's just another diet book, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
I marvel at the things I learned from OH that never occurred to me. I don't HAVE to eat 4 pieces of pizza at one sitting and then another 2 cold ones for breakfast. I don't HAVE to eat half a bag of potato chips. Okay, I DID know that I shouldn't eat a whole bag of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies at one time but I did anyway. And now I feel that, yes, I can have just one but truly enjoy it and be satisfied with that.
EXACTLY! A very good point.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

[quote=CoffeeCat;16758270]Overfed Head ... I recommend it to everyone who is interested in the principles of intuitive eating[quote]
It's also a QUICK read. Very accessible.
Quote:
I get so annoyed when reading about various diets that try to pigeonhole individuals into a specific way of eating
Right. And that even applies to Atkins and low carb. I can't eat like someone else wants me to.
Quote:
So why should they try to break a habit that isn't harmful for them?
Thank you for giving me permission. Seriously. I think I needed to hear that. And kind of also goes with the pigeonhole diets. As soon as I do something that they say not to do (like eating something at 6:10 when you're not supposed to eat past 6), I just feel like a failure. When there's no rule, everything I do is okay as long as I don't end up face down in sugar and flour.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Quote:
Overfed Head ... I recommend it to everyone who is interested in the principles of intuitive eating
It's also a QUICK read. Very accessible.

Right. And that even applies to Atkins and low carb. I can't eat like someone else wants me to.

Thank you for giving me permission. Seriously. I think I needed to hear that. And kind of also goes with the pigeonhole diets. As soon as I do something that they say not to do (like eating something at 6:10 when you're not supposed to eat past 6), I just feel like a failure. When there's no rule, everything I do is okay as long as I don't end up face down in sugar and flour.
Madmarsha, you crack me up!

Seriously, I get the "feeling like a failure" idea. And being somewhat of a perfectionist, going "off program" always brought on waves of anxiety. I can't count the times I would do great for most of the week, fall off the wagon around Thursday evening, and then eat like crazy for the entire weekend in anticipation of starting over on Monday morning. My Sunday night "last supper" eating would always be very excessive - eating all my favorites that weren't "allowed" on next week's diet.

I can't do low-carb either; have tried that too. Fortunately I'm not super-sensitive to carbs and can eat them without bringing on horrible cravings that others talk about. My go-to carbs are bread and potatoes. I'm not a big sweets eater and am generally very satisfied with just a few bites. Whenever I read of people eating entire packages of cookies or large amounts of cake I almost get nauseous. I have always been more likely to overindulge in chips.

It's always great to bounce ideas about and experiences with other non-dieters, so I appreciate your responding to my posts. Sometimes in this diet-crazy world it's easy to lose sight of the big picture, and I think a lot of people don't get it until they've been through the diet "wringer," if you know what I mean. The whole binge-restrict-obsession with food has to be experienced before one can truly appreciate the relief one has when finally getting off that roller-coaster.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Madmarsha, you crack me up!
I hope that's a good thing.

I wish this thread was busier. This intuitive thing was really foreign to me at first; but once I got it, it's really been what keeps me going. At first I was like, No rules? No diet?!? I can't trust myself. But now I can that I understand what, Hitting the spot, is. I'm even getting better at salad bars in eyeing how much -- or how little -- it's going to take to fill me up and no more.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Just saw this on another forum. Not sure exactly what I think of it; I do know of several people who have lost significant amounts of weight with mindful (i.e. intuitive) eating. Like anything else, it will vary from person to person.

Sandra Aamodt: Why dieting doesn't usually work | Video on TED.com
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Well, she's right. But that video wouldn't have been an a-ha moment for me. I got too obsessed with the ill-fitting dress, the dry mouth, etc.

I did like the graph she showed, but I also felt depressed when she said the set point rarely ever goes down. Sort of sounds defeatist. And didn't really address what to do specifically when you don't have the attention to your willpower.

For me, when my willpower isn't working, it's the mindfulness of how bad sugar and grains are. Yeah, that cookie looks good and I know I like it, but it's sugar so it's just no. Just telling myself "no cookie" doesn't work. It's a subtle difference but it's a difference.

I no longer have to ask myself if I'm hungry, and hunger is no longer the crisis I thought it was.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I no longer have to ask myself if I'm hungry, and hunger is no longer the crisis I thought it was.
"Hunger does NOT equal Crisis" is one of my mantras. It is so strange that you should say the same thing!

I too would like to see more participation on this thread, but I wonder if the title is confusing. Do you think starting a new thread titled Intuitive Eating or something along those lines might garner more participation? If so I'd be willing to do it. Let me know what you think.

I hope others will feel free to chime in.

I started reading Overcoming Overeating (by Hirschmann and Munter) yesterday. It's a good read so far, probably one of the better ones I've read, although I still don't like it as much as Overfed Head. I think the difference is that it is written by females who usually have a tendency toward more unnecessary prose. Men, OTOH, generally cut to the chase.

"Just the facts, ma'am!"
Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Possibly since it doesn't really have to be about a specific book. I wish it would catch on; but, really, it is a foreign concept that I had to have explained to me along with reading the book. I haven't been around here long enough to know if there used to be a intuitive eating type of thread already that just doesn't catch fire.

And as opposed to believing that there is no ONE plan that works for everybody even if done right, I think this mind set would really work for everybody no matter what their WOE and I'd like everybody to at least be aware. Blew my mind that I could learn how to think about eating like a naturally thin person.