Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
The Big Breakfast Diet

I love this plan by Dr. Daniella Jacobowitz. She says to eat your big breakfast with at least 7 oz. of protein, carbs and you must have dessert before 9 a.m. (10 a.m. in the winter). This has been around for years and even Drs. Hellers have endorsed this in their latest Stress-eating Cure book where now they say to eat a big balanced breakfast. Her studies have shown that you can eat anywhere from 600-3000 calories for breakfast. Lunch must be eaten before 2 p.m.and it includes 3 oz. of protein, low carb veg. You have the same for dinner but you do not have to eat it. You probably won't need to as only eat breakfast and am full for the day. I am on maintenance where I eat a big breakfast for 6 days and on the 7th day I have what she calls a free day and eat what I want all day. This plan works. Anyone want to join. You can get the book on amazon for a good deal.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
good luck with your new plan, oriana!

I just want to suggest that anyone with poor insulin metabolism not do this, please... If you are diabetic, "pre-diabetic," or insulin resistant, you tend to metabolize carbs very poorly early in the day. for us, breakfast should be pretty small, just enough, and very low carb.

otherwise you set your blood sugar into that spiking and dropping cycle that makes you hungry and head-achy and all. for real diabetics, it gives you unhealthy high blood sugars for many hours in many cases.

just be sensible!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Well, I'm on board. I'm starting tomorrow. I can tell you this... if it works for me, it'll work for most people. I'll let you know how it goes.

This goes so totally against the grain with me, but if I can get rid of constantly thinking about food, I'm all for it. I'm really quite tired of pining for food almost all the time, except for the few hours after my RM. I think life's too short. And if this makes me more content, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I can't imagine that I'll be able to not worry about calories or carbs, so I'm going to be watching them. Maybe eventually I'll be brave enough to try it without, but initially I just can't do that. Years ago I went on CAD for an entire year, and I only lost 12 pounds (unbalanced meals). I have had to watch carbs and calories because my metabolism's just too messed up. I'm hoping to get to a place where I can just listen to my body and that my body won't deceive me. Now that'd be worth it's weight in gold. Maybe that's a pipe dream of everybody who's ever lost weight.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know if you have read the book or not but this doctor recommends this to her diabetic patients as well as women with PCOS. It is almost like the carb addicts diet only the carb meal is eaten at the beginning of the day and it is a must to consume at least 7 oz. of protein for breakfast. I don't know how this could be bad when it is ment to level blood sugar and not have a spike in insulin levels.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

If you are on facebook to to The Big Breakfast DIet and you will see some other posts and info. Very interesting plus example of the breakfasts but just ideas. You can incorporate what you like. I too thought it was a joke until I tried it and then when I read that the Hellers were copying and saying that their Big Balanced Breakfast was NOW the way to weight loss I looked in to this. I like her plan better because on maintenance I get a free day every 7th day!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Oh another thing. The only way I could get CAD to work for me was if I ate my rm early in the day. I never lost eating a rm dinner unless it was low cal but I would wake up burping food from my dinner and feeling sluggish in the morning. I wake up hungry and excited for breakfast now and I have energy in the morning instead of thinking all day about and dreaming about my rm dinners.If I get hungry at night I have a big glass of water but you can eat protein and veggies if you like for lunch and dinner. I just am never hungry. Totally NOT me. I can eat like a man! LOL!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
... it is a must to consume at least 7 oz. of protein for breakfast...
i have a question: in the book, does it describe how many eggs would be the equivalent to the 7 oz. of protein? we have hens that lay just too many eggs, so i need get rid of some of them.

i've ordered the book, and i just can't wait for it to arrive before starting this woe.

thanks for your help! i'm super keyed up to try this. i'm hoping that this will be everything i've been reading about it!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

7 eggs would be 7 oz. I lost 1/2 pound from yesterday's ribeye, salad with ranch, big bowl of ice cream and diet coke. I was full all day. Today I am starting with bananas then BB. What are you having? So far it is just the two of us. Did you look on facebook under the big breakfast?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

oh, 7 eggs would do me in. lol

my daughter called, so kinda messed up the time. i finished at 10:15, but i'll do better tomorrow. i usually get up by 6, but last night my hubby kept talking.

i had 4 eggs, 3 bacon, 1/2 c cottage cheese, 2 T cream in my coffee, 2 toast, small ice cream bar. it was 1200 calories in total (ugh! i'm way over full!). carbs under 50 g. no veggies, since this was a spur of the moment decision.

i didn't really enjoy eating, either. it is so unlike me to eat like this for breakfast. i suspect if it was at supper time, i'd have eaten it all with relish. i'm hoping that i'll enjoy it more tomorrow morning. have to plan ahead a bit better.

while my husband eats supper, i'm going to have 3 oz. melted cheese and green beans.

i'm anxious to see how this works. i did share with a friend this concept. she has so many health problems i hope she will find that it works.

yes, i did check BB under facebook. you got me enthused over this. thank you!

btw, you mentioned you're in maintenance. how much have you lost? you're so small, i make 2 of you. lol

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-08-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

It takes some getting used to eating dessert at breakfast but I was full again all day.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
I've been trying to find as much info online as I can (don't do facebook and don't want to order yet another book!). I love a big breakfast, it is when I am the most hungry and I find sometimes that I am eating dinner just because it is time and the family is eating! Are there any snacks involved during the rest of the day or just the small LC lunch and dinner? Also, I love wine in the evening, I suppose that is a no-no (usually is if I want to lose)

Oriana did you lose all your weight doing this or just using it as a maintenance tool? If so, how much and how long did it take?

Thanks ladies, best to you both!!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaraNoelle
WOE: CAD, FAST FIVE
Start Date: 3/20/2013
found it
CaraNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaraNoelle
WOE: CAD, FAST FIVE
Start Date: 3/20/2013
I am excited about this BB diet too but on weekends I sleep in.....I cant give that up !! lol .... if I could the BB before 11 it would be fine..what is the magic number about 9 am I wonder ?? can you have regular soda or juice during your BB ? how much fruit can you eat for lunch ?? Thanks Oriana, I did check it out on FB but that one guy just keeps saying read the book...read the book..lol..
CaraNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Indigodreamz
I'm sort of doing the BB too, only the CAD version. There is another woe called The Reverse Diet that is pretty much the same thing as well. So I guess it's a combo of all of them because I'm eating dinner at breakfast. I don't think I'm going to make the 9am thing though. Just thinking about food that early makes me want to hurl. I will just eat before 12pm. This is just my second day. Maybe after I've done this for a week my body will have adjusted and I'll be able to eat earlier. I'm still eating within an hour. This morning for bk I had a huge T-bone steak with lightly cooked zucchini-yellow squash and onion mix. About 1 1/2 cups of salad with tomatoes. One slice of whole grain extra fiber bread with butter. A blueberries and almond/coconut milk smoothie and a generous slice of apple cheesecake. The cheesecake was ok, but I miss my carrot cake cupcakes from Costco. I can eat those everyday. lol
Indigodreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I found this on livestrong:
Quote:
Meals & Calories

You can eat up to 1,200 calories each day on the Big Breakfast Diet -- with a high protein and carb breakfast counting for about half of these. Your lunch and dinner must be low carb and combined must account for the other half. The Big Breakfast Diet book includes a 28 day meal plan with recipes
So basically it's a low-calorie diet (where did the up to 3000 calories at breakfast come from in the original post?) and you can have up to 600 cals at breakfast and 600 more spread through the last 2 meals of the day -according to this article.

Also, this entire diet was based on 1 small group of women, with no control group?
Quote:
The Research

Venezuelan researchers looked at 94 obese women, half of whom were on a low carb diet and the other half on the Big Breakfast Diet. According to the June 2008 "Medical News Today," the findings presented at The 2008 Endocrine Society meeting showed those who ate a big breakfast lost 21 percent in body weight, while those on the low carb diet lost just 4.5 percent.
I googled a little more and found this as well, the calories are very low overall:
Quote:
(1) Low Carb Group - The low-carb diet group of 46 women ate a small breakfast totaling about 290 calories that was low in carbohydrates and typically didn't include bread. A sample breakfast might have included a cup of milk, one egg, three slices of bacon, and two teaspoons of butter. They ate an average of 1,085 calories a day.

(2) Big Breakfast Group - The big-breakfast group of 48 women were told to eat a breakfast of about 610 calories. A sample breakfast: a cup of milk, turkey, cheese, two slices of bread, mayonnaise, 1 ounce of chocolate candy, and a protein shake. This group averaged 1,240 calories a day.
Will be interesting to see how you all fare following it if these are the real stats on it and not the "3000 calorie breakfast" sell point.
Granted, I've never been a breakfast eater, so this plan is novel to me (lol).

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Everyone's different, but i agree that there's nothing miraculous about this diet as far as metabolism goes. that might be different if your metabolism is a healthy one, which mine isn't.

it took the initial big breakfast diet post for me to try switching my CALP RM, and i'm very glad i did. i switched the timing NOT because i wasn't losing. i switched the timing because the cravings were driving me mad.

this will be my 4th day, and i am feeling liberated. i'm not craving anymore. i haven't lost any weight, either, but the week's not up yet. i'm having the same number of calories/carbs that i was previously, so it's a just a matter of time.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
Everyone's different, but i agree that there's nothing miraculous about this diet as far as metabolism goes. that might be different if your metabolism is a healthy one, which mine isn't.

it took the initial big breakfast diet post for me to try switching my CALP RM, and i'm very glad i did. i switched the timing NOT because i wasn't losing. i switched the timing because the cravings were driving me mad.

this will be my 4th day, and i am feeling liberated. i'm not craving anymore. i haven't lost any weight, either, but the week's not up yet. i'm having the same number of calories/carbs that i was previously, so it's a just a matter of time.
Yes, I believe that is exactly what happened with Rachael Heller and why they found she was craving. When she switched to eathing her RM at breakfast she was fine the rest of the day. It really helped her with the cravings so they wrote The Stress Eating Cure to help people who were on plan but still having cravings so they could try switching their RM to breakfast and see if it would help.

I don't have cravings and following CAD/CALP the more "traditional" way with LC CM's and a dinner RM I never am hungry, do not have cravings at all. I started slowly incorporating intermittent fasting and knocked out the breakfast CM and most days have only done a lunch CM and then a few hours later a dinner RM. Other days since I am not hungry I do only an dinner RM. The closer I pushed my meals together the less hungry I got! Before I was eating anywhere from 4 am with my first meal and up to 8pm with my RM. Now I am eating from 1200-8pm or even 2-6pm some days and am less hungry.

Oriana told me about how she was doing RM only too a lot of days and then switched to RM for breakfast and how well it was working for her. On CAD/CALP you do not have to count calories, carb grams, weigh food portions, etc. You just stick to the list of acceptable food items for the CM's. For you one hour RM you can eat whatever you like- but should be "balanced." That is where the 3000 calories can come into play. On random days where I have audited my caloric intake I am eating anywhere from 1800 to 2600 calories a day. I started out at 235 lbs and have got down to 215 lbs in 5 months eating these amounts! Yes, I could have lost faster on only 1200 calories but no thanks, I don't want to do extreme dieting ever again only for fast results that end up spiraling out of control and end up gaining it back. If I can maintain or even lose eating 3000 calories a day then I will, even if I only lose 1 pound in a month it is a loss and I will enjoy every minute of it! LOL

I am a registered nurse and very objective. I have 5 months of daily wts, plus I do random calorie audits and also keep track of food reactions, cravings, stalls, other sypmtoms of insulin resistance as well. I am going to commit to doing a breakfast RM for at least one week, will try to stick it out 2 weeks. I know I can't eat by 9am most days but noon should be doable. I can understand the concept of buring off the calories during the day better than while sleeping so just on that concept it makes sense one should be able to lose weight faster by eating earlier in the day (at least the bulk of calories).

Culturally and long-term I can see how eating the big meal later in the day could be the key to success for most folks since that is when we have been "programmed" to eat socially and look forward to eat when we get home and around family or outings. Our society is not one to eat big meals in the morning. But, if it works and especially people are objective and find what works best for them, and their particular metabolism then go for it! I mean how can it be worse than all the other stuff we put ourselves through in this society from extreme calorie restrictions, abstaining from entire food groups, dieting with chemical and non-food items and "supplements," surgerys, countless experiments with drugs, emotional and psychological damage, on and on.

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 04-11-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
i have a question: in the book, does it describe how many eggs would be the equivalent to the 7 oz. of protein? we have hens that lay just too many eggs, so i need get rid of some of them.

i've ordered the book, and i just can't wait for it to arrive before starting this woe.

thanks for your help! i'm super keyed up to try this. i'm hoping that this will be everything i've been reading about it!
1 egg contains 7 GRAMS of protein. I am not sure does the book explain how many grams vs. ounces because some things are denser and contain more grams per ounce than other food items. Just curious since you would be getting plenty of protein off of your 4 eggs and 3 pc of bacon I read farther down on the thread. Bacon contains 5 grams of protein per a 2 slice serving! Bacon and eggs together should give you plenty of protein

MIW
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
I am not familiar with the Big Breakfast Diet Book but looking at the pictures from the book I saw in internet, I am afraid eating pancakes and toasts for breakfast would send me into carb binge. I guess YMWV, like with everything else.
I started following leptin reset few days ago and my cravings are gone. It is about having big high protein breakfast (min 50 gr of protein) within 30 min of waking up. I am not hungry all day for at least 6-7 hrs. You have to wait 5-6 hrs between meals and should stop eating within 3 hrs before going to sleep.

I am curious about the "Stress Eating Cure"

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

According to a tracker website, large egg white has only 3.6 gr of protein. Large whole egg has 6.29 protein.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
1 egg contains 7 GRAMS of protein. I am not sure does the book explain how many grams vs. ounces because some things are denser and contain more grams per ounce than other food items. Just curious since you would be getting plenty of protein off of your 4 eggs and 3 pc of bacon I read farther down on the thread. Bacon contains 5 grams of protein per a 2 slice serving! Bacon and eggs together should give you plenty of protein

MIW
you haven't seen our eggs! they're so big they burst a jumbo egg box. i was literally stuffed after that meal. i probably overloaded on the protein that day.

i haven't seen either the big breakfast or stress eater's cure books yet. i just like the principle of the big breakfast RM. i'll know more when they arrive in the mail.

my diet keeps mutating. i'm learning more about myself and what works all the time. which is a good thing. it's just wonderful to not be pining for my next meal all the time.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
...I started following leptin reset few days ago and my cravings are gone. It is about having big high protein breakfast (min 50 gr of protein) within 30 min of waking up. I am not hungry all day for at least 6-7 hrs...
7 oz. of chicken breast has approximately 50 g protein, so that's about what i've been consuming. it has definitely helped my leptin levels. i've been only eating the one meal per day. in the evenings, i've felt settled and calm though not eating.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-11-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
According to a tracker website, large egg white has only 3.6 gr of protein. Large whole egg has 6.29 protein.
I got the protein count right off the package of eggs. It all depends on what the chickens are fed. I would reckon home raised chickens who get range and also table scraps might have even more. I only use generic internet sites as a last resort if I can't find the info on a package from the food label.

MIW
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Did an audit of my morning RM and calories was 2040!

Yogurt: 240
Egg : 80
Coconut Oil: 200
1 1/2 C strawberries: 90
1 1/2 C spinach: 20
1 C parsley/cilantro: 10
slice cheese: 90
Burger pattie: 400
3 bacon: 135
1/2 carrot cake Costco
muffin: 460
Kit kat: 220
1 Reese's cup: 105

I made the yogurt, spinach, cilantro, parsley, strawberries and also half a lemon all into a smoothie. The spinach and other greens were very densely packed so lose was closer to 3 Cups so technically the calorie count could be close to another 100 higher. The egg,cheese, burger, bacon, EVCO was the protein/fat. The other stuff was to keep me happy.

I was done eating by 9:30am. I was full, still had 20 minutes left on my hour but was done. Only thing I noticed today is that about an hour later I was tired and could have totally took a nap. I don't usually get tired after a big RM so not sure if it is because I switched it to the morning or just TOM issues. Otherwise it is now 1pm and I feel great!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 04-11-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Idk, I think there's something to this RM at bk. I had some concerns about eating lots of carbs for breakfast too, especially since the Hellers advice is that breakfast or lunch should be low carb to prevent insulin spikes and cravings. However, although I've not been eating pancakes and waffles for bk, I have had some starchy carbs like cooked yellow squash and zucchini, large salads with lots of tomatoes (tomatoes can spike insulin as per Atkins), bread, and sometimes cake or pie with bk and not only have I not had any cravings, I am still able to eat one meal a day just like I did when I was having my RM at dinner by 6pm. According to info on The Big Breakfast Diet, the author has said that bk is the most important meal to consider and lunch or dinner is optional. Eat them if you are hungry but otherwise don't eat if you are not hungry. I never could distinguish between physical hunger (from the stomach) or emotional hunger (from the brain) until now. CAD has helped me to become more aware of that as well as my satiety signals but so far, the RM at breakfast is working wonderfully at keeping my blood sugar stable, managing cravings and keeping me full ALL DAY. In three days I have lost a significant amout of weight but will wait until I officially weigh in on Monday to get the final number for the week.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigodreamz View Post
Idk, I think there's something to this RM at bk. I had some concerns about eating lots of carbs for breakfast too, especially since the Hellers advice is that breakfast or lunch should be low carb to prevent insulin spikes and cravings. However, although I've not been eating pancakes and waffles for bk, I have had some starchy carbs like cooked yellow squash and zucchini, large salads with lots of tomatoes (tomatoes can spike insulin as per Atkins), bread, and sometimes cake or pie with bk and not only have I not had any cravings, I am still able to eat one meal a day just like I did when I was having my RM at dinner by 6pm. According to info on The Big Breakfast Diet, the author has said that bk is the most important meal to consider and lunch or dinner is optional. Eat them if you are hungry but otherwise don't eat if you are not hungry. I never could distinguish between physical hunger (from the stomach) or emotional hunger (from the brain) until now. CAD has helped me to become more aware of that as well as my satiety signals but so far, the RM at breakfast is working wonderfully at keeping my blood sugar stable, managing cravings and keeping me full ALL DAY. In three days I have lost a significant amout of weight but will wait until I officially weigh in on Monday to get the final number for the week.
That's amazing. So, is breakfast your only meal of the day? How many calories is your breakfast? TIA.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Yes, bk is my only meal of the day so far. I have zero hunger after my meal. I'm eating at around 10/11ish in the am. My caloric intake varies. It just depends on how hungry I am at that meal. I try not to go under 1200 calories but Monday I know I had 2200 cals. I'm kind of playing with this woe. Breakfast food one day with lower carb/higher fat and dinner foods alternating days, higher cals moderate fat intake. Monday I had a generous slice of german chocolate cake with my bk and Tuesday I had cheesecake with my meal. Yesterday and today, amazingly I didn't want ANY sweets and didn't have any! Usually I don't feel "satisfied" unless I have dessert with a meal. I'm so happy I could spit....lol
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
One of the biggest complaints I saw when googling this plan was the number of people that suffered from carb crash after eating the breakfast loaded with carbs/sugar.
Definitely something to be careful of, especially if you have blood sugar problems anyway.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

I haven't had that problem. I know better than to load up on high glycemic foods for breakfast from my past attempts at losing weight. Monday I had to have a little protein before bed b/c I realize I didn't eat enough of it at the RM. Now I know and haven't had that problem since then. Although I can have what I want for my RM, I still stay away from my trigger foods ie rice, potatoes and corn etc. I haven't even eaten pancakes or the like. It has been a learning process. When I have a dessert with my morning meal I keep my fiber, fats and protein high and the rest of my carbs moderate to low. Plus I alternate higher carbs and cals one day then lower carbs/cals, higher fat the next and it seems to be working out. No hunger I'm hoping means blood sugars are stable. I don't test as I'm not a diabetic but I might start as I'm curious about blood sugar stabilization and experimenting with this woe.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigodreamz View Post
No hunger I'm hoping means blood sugars are stable. I don't test as I'm not a diabetic but I might start as I'm curious about blood sugar stabilization and experimenting with this woe.
It is really hard to guage based off of blood glucose levels if you are not a diabetic (even if insulin resistant) because we tend to put out enough if not more insulin than needed and blood sugars will always be in the normal or even low to normal range. That is another reason why we can always be hungry, jittery, sleepy, etc is that our sugars are actually low. Hypoglycemia is a precursor to diabetes. There is a blood test that can see if you are truely insulin resistant but it has a weird name and I can't remember what it is right now. The Heller's said the test wasn't needed as their test in their books gives all the classic insulin resistant symptoms to confirm it or not. They coined the term Carbohydrate Addict but really it means Insulin Resistant.

MIW