Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #691
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
MIW why do you think S....lost 100 pounds in that year? Do you think it was because she only ate one meal a day that whole time.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
if i ate throughout the day what i'm eating at my BBD, i would gain weight. i assume "S" lost it because she ate only 1 meal a day. 100 pounds in a year is very fast. i'd love to hear more of her story...

oriana, you mentioned the fat being the key (in another thread). i'm wondering if maybe i should increase my fat, instead of always being so concerned with the protein. it's so hard to get the protein intake high enough. maybe i'll try this idea in a few days. right now, i'm trying to figure out the time frame i should be eating at, so i'm not crazy hungry in the evening. once i figure that out, i'll do more experimenting. i'd simply LOVE to have to increase my fats.

in a perfect world, i'd love to have my RM in the evening, too. i have problems with indigestion if i eat too late in the day, so that's not an option for me. the lunch idea would be ideal. of course, the liberty to switch my RM to accommodate get togethers is always an option.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Good morning everyone. Still loving this WOE. For me, it is so much easier than eating throughout the day.

Today's menu:
Salad with dressing
sloppy jo on lt bun
homemade macaroni & cheese
homemade stuffing with lots of veggies
yogurt
blueberry "cobbler"
crunchy peach salad
Total calories - 987
Have been losing approx. a pound a day, but know that will slow closer I get to my goal.

Hope everyone has a great day.
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
I am not sure what S changed from? Was she eating a lot, all day long, or just small frequent meals? I know when I first went to one meal a day I was only eating like 1500 calories so maybe calorie reduction? I could be just the one time a day eating since I know she eats large amounts of calories like us. I know at my rate it will take me 5 years to take off the 100 lbs or so I'd like to lose which seems about right since that is what it took Teri, and Patriciakr on Hour Power #5 is losing at that same rate also. She had a lot more to lose but lost 130+ pounds so far following strict CALP.

I for one am just winging it and taking it day by day. I am so used now to looking forward to my BB that it would be hard to wait until dinner time! LOL However I have been eating later like starting at 9am or 10am and that is plenty late enough to make it all day but early enough to still be beneficial, at least in my mind for burning it off more during the day, not having a full stomach when I go to bed, and also for the other stress hormones to regulate an supress.

MIW
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
I am not sure what S changed from? Was she eating a lot, all day long, or just small frequent meals?
MIW
very well spoken. everyone is so different. it does bug me to no end when skinny people tell me how much they understand how hard it is to lose weight because they've been "working at it all their lives". or when i hear diet success stories where the woman had previously eaten at fast food restaurants 3 meals a day and/or eating massive quantities at each meal. i can't imagine how big i'd have been if i'd eaten like some of these success stories i've seen on TV.

everyone's different. it's rarely ever easy to lose weight, but it can be far easier for some than it is for others.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #696
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
I know when I first went to one meal a day I was only eating like 1500 calories so maybe calorie reduction? I could be just the one time a day eating since I know she eats large amounts of calories like us. I know at my rate it will take me 5 years to take off the 100 lbs or so I'd like to lose which seems about right since that is what it took Teri, and Patriciakr on Hour Power #5 is losing at that same rate also. She had a lot more to lose but lost 130+ pounds so far following strict CALP.
i admire your willingness to take things slowly, and as i've said before, i appreciate your keeping records on your progress. i'm 52, and i'm just too anxious.

we sound similar in our metabolisms. i was obese by 8. when i was a teenager, my mom brought me to a nutritionist. week after week, my nutritionist was puzzled over how slowly i was losing. i was lucky when i lost .5 lb in a week. needless to say, i gave up. "every diet works if you just stick with it" isn't necessarily so, in the real world, at least for me.

in my early 20's i had been diagnosed with PCOS. after that i signed up for a diet made famous by oprah "optifast". my 3rd week on it, the scale showed no loss. my doctor was angered by this, accusing me, stating that i had to have cheated. i quit dieting at that time.

i started dieting last year, and each and every pound loss has come with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. i seem to lose with JUDDD but can maintain nicely with BBD, when i take diet breathers. i found BBD in april, and i really love this whole woe. this Christmas, for the first time in decades, i've allowed myself to indulge in goodies, as never before. without a gain. this has been so freeing.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 12-30-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

I just got a message from my friend who lost 100 pounds. She said it was more like 95 pounds and she lost it in 2 years because she only lost 1 pound a week. Slow and easy.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

MIW I was looking back at the BB thread and I really was eating a lot for BB and a free day so I don't know for sure which way I am going. I am for sure only eating on rm a day. Today is a ribeye steak dinner only and I will have fasted 36 hours by then.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #699
Senior LCF Member

MIW, have you done any experimentation with increasing fats? what are your perimeters for protein, fat, carbs?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
MIW I was looking back at the BB thread and I really was eating a lot for BB and a free day so I don't know for sure which way I am going. I am for sure only eating on rm a day. Today is a ribeye steak dinner only and I will have fasted 36 hours by then.
Oriana- I know the main thing that is going to be the most important for lifelong and not yo-yoing to just do some soul searching about how you like to eat. Is it really only once a day or is it more? Then go from there. I know when I switch it up too much I don't see any success on the scale. I won't have any hard feelings no matter what you chose I just want you to be happy!

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
MIW, have you done any experimentation with increasing fats? what are your perimeters for protein, fat, carbs?
Yes actually I have. I now try to eat full fat ribeye steaks, and I started doing all fat regular ice cream and make milkshakes with that and regular half & half and coffee instead of my usual iced lattes with whole milk. That was one thing.

However, I found prior to this latest plateau I could do one part proteinfat to 2 parts veggies and fruit and 2 parts carbs and still lose and not have any cravings. To be honest I have been cutting back on the protein/fat part and eating more carbs (probably due to the holidays) so that could be another reason for the gain back up to 212 range and current plateau.

I know I was doing well when I was eating a big ribeye steak, LARGE salad (filled an entire large pyrex nesting bowl), and a large 24 ounce+ iced latte with whole milk and a stack of cookies. I was never hungry and felt great. For about a week after I went to doing smoothies and ice cream milkshakes I kept losing and got down to 209 lbs but am wondering if that was the calm before the storm and all the calories caught up with me. They are 3000+ many days now but I am maintaining and not gaining so I shouldn't complain! LOL

MIW
Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

I think my calories have caught up with me. I also truly believe that the early eating is why the weight seems lower as you don't weight for 24 hours after eating your last meal versus at dinner you weigh 12 hours later. I am now gaining weight and at 110 even after fasting 36 hours, running 14 miles and eating only a steak, salad with ranch, pepsi and mug of ice cream. I don't want to discourage anyone but I truly feel like I need to change things up a bit.

I really seem to feel better running and overall with raw fruits and veggies. I read up on Dr. Atkins and he did have some evidence of a clogged artery and some heart ailments. That also scares me with all the fat I eat.

If anyone wants to watch my progress, I will be on the Raw til 4 website. I have never truly seen a true skinny person on CAD besides me. On the Raw til 4 or Banana Girls I see a lot of true healthy people. I followed the Beverly Hills Diet many years ago and have always loved the fruit in the day concept with whatever at night. If my weight jumped then I would watch my dinners which could be baked potatoes or all dessert night or pasta, cheesecake, pizza. I'll pop in every once in awhile but I guess I am convinced that I can't do more exercise than I am and cutting down to one meal is still not showing weight loss or maintenance but gains for me.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #703
Senior LCF Member

people that CAD style diets will work best on are people with messed up metabolisms, like rachael heller and ME! in fact, it is extremely rare for someone who's been fat since childhood to EVER get out of the fat mode. for that reason alone, i'm not surprised that there aren't many "skinny" CAD people.

your response doesn't discourage me at all, cause i know what carbs do to my psyche. smelling or just thinking of food releases a food demon in me, that i'm determined to tame. CAD does that for me. not only that, i find it easy to maintain without starvation, which is a major blessing.

it is very important to find what works for your particular body, so that once you get to goal, you'll be able to maintain your loss, without becoming one of the 90-95% of dieters who regain their lost weight.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Keep on keeping on gals. I'm rooting for ya all!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #705
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I also truly believe that the early eating is why the weight seems lower as you don't weight for 24 hours after eating your last meal versus at dinner you weigh 12 hours later.
i've wondered the same thing. life would be so much easier if i could eat in the evening, versus at breakfast (aside from indigestion).

if there is something to do with the circadian rhythm, as BBD suggests, does this aid in weight loss in a microscopic amount? if so, is it worth it to take away from eating with family if i can lose at a .001% increased rate? now, if it's such a small increase, why should i continue with that frustration?

these thoughts run through my head.

i am continually amazed that people can settle on one diet for lengthy periods. like oriana, i do a lot of scrambling, trying to find the "perfect" diet. for me, the reason i've done that is cause weight loss is super slow considering how much effort is put into my attempts, unlike the average loser on these boards. over the last 1.5 years, i've come to certain conclusions about what works for ME. if i hadn't had the internet and the diet forums, i'd never have gotten as far as i have.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 12-31-2013 at 07:41 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #706
Senior LCF Member

Good morning to all. Still loving this BB WOE and usually do one meal a day. It just makes sense to me to eat once a day and not have to even think about food the rest of the day.

My cardiologist was happy that I had lost weight at my last visit so I told her that I was eating mainly one meal a day. She said that she didn't know how she felt about that thinking I was eating my one meal in the evening. Then I told her that I was eating it in the morning and watching calories, too, and she said she was fine with that. So, maybe I have found something that willl make the doctors happy and also get results.

I lost around 40# doing low carb but it just quit working for me so I have been struggling to find a WOE that will produce results and give me the freedom of eating what I want and not feel deprived. I think I can do this forever.

Have a great day and Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone and Happy 2014! I am NOT going anywhere! I found out over a year ago when I started doing CAD that it really didn't matter how I did it- that it worked!

However, I have seen that my calories have finally caught up to me (doing 3000+ most days) and I have gained back up to 214 pounds. Mind you I am on my TOM so probably isn't the entire story but still...

My point is that I spent the last few months experimenting. I actually love eating one big meal a day! That is something that a year ago would have sounded so strange and foreign to me but when I started doing intermittent fasting (IF) I just got less and less hungry and found I really actually enjoy it. Then I started focusing on high calorie weight loss and found I could eat more and more and was still losing!

But, alas, it seems it finally leveled off and I started gaining. No worries however, as this is LIFELONG eating for me and all I have to do is just cut back portions a bit and I should in theory go back on losing which is what I am going to do, starting today.

I also had a CM for breakfast, (eggs, cheese, and green beans), then a large RM dinner of pork chops, mashed potatoes, bread with butter, ice cream and cookies, and cauliflower from 3:30-4:30pm. Still very early considering how late I used to eat but I tell you it sat on my stomach all night and was not comfortable! That showed me right there that I have really grown to love eating my large meal for breakfast! So..... I have 2 days a week off together with Hubby and on those days I will wait and eat later in the day with him per his request and the other days I am doing BB for my RM!

Today's BB RM from 9:40am-10:40am:

16 ounce fruit smoothie with red grapes, oranage, banana, apple, frozen strawberries and full fat yogurt (down from 24 ounces)

1 large baked pork chop

4 Cup salad with mixed greens, 1 stick of celery, 3 large mushrooms, 3 TBSP Ranch Dsg

24 ounce Iced mocha (with whole milk instead of my ice cream coffee milkshake)

3 chocolate chip cookies

Boy oh boy do I feel stuffed and it is not near the portion size or calories of what I had been doing the last 6 weeks or so and I will continue to do this and slowly cut back on portion size if needed until I get back to the 210-212 range or start getting hungry.

MIW
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #708
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 415redhead
Stats: 136
WOE: BBD
Start Date: January 2012
Love this thread

Hi.

Over the last few days I have read this thread with such interest. I love the BB diet book. I eat like this most of the time, but have never thought to included the ideas from the Hellers with it. I wake up early, start eating at 4am-10am anything and everything, so have never really lost weight, but I do feel great and only have vanity pounds to lose, so this site is an encouragement that other people eat like this too.

It has also inspired me to wake up, eat a cm (protein/vegetables) early, then eat a reward meal from 8-9am (alot of calories of anything I want plus lots of protein), then eat another meal before 2pm of protein/vegetables if I am hungry.

I wondered if MIW/Oriana read 180 Health blog by Matt Stone, which encourages eating to raise body temperature/no dieting/majorly increasing calories for anyone who has dieted in their lifetime (most women) to heal?

I bought one of his books and it said to start-eat a big breakfast/lots of carbs/protein (if you aren't willing to incorporate his other ideas which do cause initial weight gain after the body has been starved by decades of low calorie eating).

Anyway, my main point was to encourage you MIW/Oriana (and anyone else reading), that when you start eating a lot of calories, your body starts building muscle at an accelerated rate, and that may be why the two of you have gained a few lbs/not lost. I think both of you are on the right path by not reducing calories, but continuing eating early/within the hour most days (due to the insulin release) which I am starting as well.

I hope oriana comes back as I loved her posts and seemed she was so happy eating BBD 6 days a week and one free day. Another helpful thing I've found is Callanetics (isometric exercise tape/book) from the 1980's. Nothing has pulled by body in like it. As a former runner, my muscle mass really started to go down. I guess as we age, increasing muscle mass is where it is at and running breaks muscle down.
415redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Good morning to everyone.

Today's menu:
Fish
Sloppy jo meat
Noodle casserole
homemade stuffing with veggies
salad w/dressing
blueberry cobbler
yogurt
Total calories - 1016 -this keeps me full all day

Started this WOE the first week in November and have lost around 10-12# What I love about this, is that I can eat a variety of food and the cravings are really gone.
Am walking 1 hour a day. Since I am only 5'1" - need to lose around 15-20#.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

Well I am still 214.2 pounds today. Last day of TOM. Was still hoping to dry out a bit and be back in the 212's. Thinking this is true weight gain and not just water. Oh well, not to be deterred! Yesterday I was more restrained and did just fine! I will continue.... The 209 weight was a dry weight anyways! LOL

MIW
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I have to say that when I lost weight on BB I didn't see it in the mirror. I actually started gaining after the 3-4th week on it and then I started feeling the weight gain and seeing it. I also run a lot and can't believe this will work now that I've seen myself gain while running many miles a week. I would go to bed extra early so that I could get to eat in the morning as I was so tired in the night from getting hungry. Some days were good when I would eat alot of calories but then I would gain. I have read a lot about fruitarianism and raw food. There is also a book out called vegan til 6 p.m. I eat raw til 4 p.m. and fruit all day until then. I have a lot of energy to run and no cravings except if I haven't eat at least 1000 calories of fruit in the day.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, I have to say that when I lost weight on BB I didn't see it in the mirror. I actually started gaining after the 3-4th week on it and then I started feeling the weight gain and seeing it. I also run a lot and can't believe this will work now that I've seen myself gain while running many miles a week. I would go to bed extra early so that I could get to eat in the morning as I was so tired in the night from getting hungry. Some days were good when I would eat alot of calories but then I would gain. I have read a lot about fruitarianism and raw food. There is also a book out called vegan til 6 p.m. I eat raw til 4 p.m. and fruit all day until then. I have a lot of energy to run and no cravings except if I haven't eat at least 1000 calories of fruit in the day.
Oriana, I didn't realize you had those problems. Bummer! I do hope you find your perfect fit on what makes you feel right AND gets results!

Do you do your measurements at all? I'd be curious to see from now and in 6 months, then 12 months how your measurements do!

MIW
Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Today was more of a "Large Lunch" day since I was soooo busy this morning and didn't have time to really cook and dig into a meal until 1pm. So I ate from 1-2pm today. Strangely I was not hungry like I normally have been the last couple of months. Not sure if it is mental or not since I am planning on doing midday meals the next 3 days at work since eating at 4 or 5am just hasn't worked out too well and I end up eating again too late. I don't mind if I have to eat again, but I'd rather keep it under 5-8 hours from the first meal of the day and not 12 or 14 hours apart which is what seems to happen.

Today:

large steak
large salad with mixed greens, 2 stalks celery, 3 lrg mushrooms, regular Hidden Valley Ranch dsg
12 ounce fruit smoothie with strawberries, red grapes, orange, apple, banana, full fat yogurt
1 slice homemade pepperoni pizza
24 ounce iced mocha with whole milk
3 choc chip cookies
2 pecan caramel clusters

MIW
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Khaleesy
Stats: 125/107/105 (5'1")
WOE: BBD/IF maintenance
Start Date: 10/18/13
Hi guys. Just wanted to hop in and let you know I'm not doing BB anymore. It was mostly because I forced myself to cut out wheat/gluten. It was making me break out a lot. And I had to be honest with myself -- is all that sugar/wheat that good for me even if my skin didn't break out? I doubt it. My reading of Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis convinced me even more to stay off wheat.

Anyway, not being able to eat wheat made it extremely difficult for me to eat a lot in the morning, since my appetite/hunger still hasn't caught up as much as I'd like to see after 2 months of faithfully eating BB.

I'm now just eating Primal, 3 meals a day and perhaps a small snack if I need. I'm not trying to lose weight -- just maintain. It's nice to be able to eat with my husband at dinner again.

Best wishes to all of you on BB, or if you are doing something else. We all have to figure out the WOE we can live with, right?
Khaleesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

I have to say that I am feeling great on my new plan too Khaleesy. I am eating fruit in the day and dinner at night and maintaining 107.5. My weight had crept up to 112 at the highest on CAD/one meal a day and BB. Today I let myself eat all day whatever I wanted and tomorrow is a liter of OJ/ Naked Juice/fruit of choice/ steak, salad, ice cream. I will have fruit/fruit/open dessert again on Sunday.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #716
Major LCF Poster!

Today was one meal only, 12-1pm due to work scheduling but it was great!

2 chicken breasts
large salad with all sorts of toppings and blue cheese dsg
24 ounce iced mocha with whole milk
3 choc chip cookies
3 caramel pecan clusters

MIW
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

Well all I am still here! Hello??? LOL

I am still doing mainly one meal a day only and eating my large carb meal in the morning. Twice in the last month I saved my large carb meal for dinners (one out to eat at my fave sushi place with a coworker and another with Hubby) and even though I ate low carb during the day it was almost excruciating having to wait! And I NEVER thought I'd feel that way but now I do! LOL

MIW
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

I am very much considering going full force back on the BB diet. I felt absolutely gross eating a heavy rm dinner last night and it was my only meal of the day. I am thinking of doing it exactly as is with my 7th day free day again. I just felt better and lost way more. Going to sleep at night was a dream and I was tossing and turning all last night. I start today. Oh, and another thing is that I just didnt feel satisfied even though I was full on steak, salad with ranch, broccoli with butter and a mug of ice cream, can of Pepsi.

Last edited by oriana; 01-17-2014 at 06:12 AM..
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

I felt so much better today on my only meal being my BB. I guess being off of it helped me to see that it was the best way for me. I love eating big first thing. Making myself wait all day was miserable and then when I did eat I couldn't get full even with protein. Also it seems like the 7th day free day jumped started things again. So this Sunday is my free day.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #720
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I felt so much better today on my only meal being my BB. I guess being off of it helped me to see that it was the best way for me. I love eating big first thing. Making myself wait all day was miserable and then when I did eat I couldn't get full even with protein. Also it seems like the 7th day free day jumped started things again. So this Sunday is my free day.
That's right! You have to be postive and sometimes a change can be good. I know now because of you having me try the BB and eating for breakfast it took me like 3 attempts and I only did it to partner with you on your journey and now love eating early and when I tried those 2 RM dinners recently all I could think of was that I was so glad that Hubby was back and work so I could eat my breakfast RM on my day's off! LOL

Now I love it and cant fathom having to wait all day to eat my carbs. The Heller's mentioned that in the SEC book and I thought they were nuts! LOL

MIW