Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I have been reading the BB book today and the author is all about lowfat/nonfat? I am confused and a bit scared to add carbs to a full fat breakfast
You have to read between the lines even though she is a doctor her study was still VERY limited IMO due to the amount of people she studied and the timeframe. The Heller's studied 1000 people who were confirmed insulin resistant for 2 YEARS. That is unheard of in almost ANY study, let alone a dietary one. That is why I follow all the CAD rules because of the science behind it.

However, as to the fat thing there are some folks (and doctors) who will drink the low-fat koolaid to their grave no matter how much science you throw at them that high fat is not bad. I cannot say it is not bad for everyone but for insulin resistant metabolisms it seems to work well.

I always say this WOE is VERY flexible and forgiving and only you can study YOU. Experiment a bit and find out what works and what doesn't. You will have fun with it and eat well and see immediatly on the scale or how you feel if it is long-term doeable or not.

I do know for a fact that low-fat low-cal eating 6 times a day meals is not healthy for insulin resistant people and following that advice is killing americans at a record rate...

MIW

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Is there a simple way for me to know whether or not I am insulin resistant?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
...MIW can you tell us if you have seen real raw foodists or fruitarian/vegetarians with unhealthy blood levels? That was always a worry for me as I ate raw for so long and then when I went to CAD and then BB my greatest fear was clogged arteries even though I saw my blood pressure go from 130/90 to 100/60 as of today.
All I can do is anectdotal but yes, I did have a marathoner who was also vegetarian who had to get some stents and he and his doctor were shocked. They chalked it up to "genetics" and the guy's answer was to go strict vegan afterwards!

There is more science now about how carbs are what get converted into triglycerides and are what can cause inflammation of arteries and certain types of coronary artery disease. I am not going to say everyone who is vegan will have issues because entire cultures (think India) eat vegetarian and they do ok. Same goes for low-fat Japanese foods with high carb, high sodium, high protein. I think it is the combo of certain metabolisms and frequency with which one eats that can cause issues when people go away from their most closely followed dietary regimen and all of a sudden change like when people move from other nations and come to america they IMMEDIATELY have the same incidents of heart disease as those of us who have been here all along do. It is because they adopt OUR eating habits and start eating more carbs and more high-fat low nutrition value foods more frequenlty and in higher amounts. At least that is the theory.

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Is there a simple way for me to know whether or not I am insulin resistant?
Off the top of my head (there is a test in the CAD and CALP books):

Getting hungry again shortly after eating
Getting sleepy after eating
Mindless inexplicable cravings for certain foods, especially carby foods
Struggle to lose weigh and gain it all back
Being more than 30 pounds overweight
Having family members (parents/sibs) with hyperinsulinemia or type II diabetes
Shakey or sweaty after eating
Hypoglycemia (means your body OVER produces insulin and is an early sign of diabetes. Diabetes is when you no longer produce enough insulin or become so resistant to it you need even more to get the same effect)

There are other ones but these are what I can remember.

MIW
Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #275
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks MIW. I can answer yes to a few of those questions.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks MIW. I can answer yes to a few of those questions.
The Heller's say if you answer only 2 or 3 of their 30 questions you are insulin resistant and they refine it further by being mild, moderate, extreme or something link that.

MIW
Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Ok just updated my profile picture. Goodbye soaps and only one person here ever got it right what it was! LOL

That pic is one of my more recent favorites from about 7 years ago when I weighed 207-212 lb range which is near where I am at currently. My hair was dyed blonde there and now is my natural brunette but you get the idea. I am 5' 2.5" and have always been big busted, wide hips and shoulders. Pretty sexy huh? LOL

MIW
Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Don't forget though that she says you can eat up to 3000 calories just for breakfast and in the pictures she has meat and donuts and chocolate which are not lowfat. I think you automatically are lowfat on 600 calories on which she starts patients on at first. But she also says that you can add oil dressing if you need to for lunch and dinner so take it with a grain of salt. I eat both lowfat fruit and high fat ice cream and desserts
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

In some of the Hellers books they also said to eat low fat and in others they said that fat is good. So I think they were also learning about fat and fiber, etc. They got to the point where once they said skip breakfast and then now in their newest studies they have found that breakfast reward meals are best. That doesn't mean they are frauds but they have learned throughout the years through experimentation. Isn't that what scientists do?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Okay...........just to finish of my free day food for dinner I had a big bowl of orange chicken with rice and broccoli and a pint of Haagen Dazs butter pecan ice cream . I really wasn't hungry but ate anyway. Tomorrow back to BB for 6 days. Day 7 free.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jonescarb
Stats: 225/151/130
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: April 2009(Low Carb)-CAD Sep 16 2014
I have read CALP and SEC. For those of you that have read both SEC and BB diet, do you think it is necessary to read the BB diet book. I read what MIW said about there being more science in the SEC and I'm wondering if I should spend the money and time to read BB diet or if I already know most of what I should from reading SEC???
jonescarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryN
Stats: 128.8/127.6/108
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 9/9/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Ok just updated my profile picture. Goodbye soaps and only one person here ever got it right what it was! LOL

That pic is one of my more recent favorites from about 7 years ago when I weighed 207-212 lb range which is near where I am at currently. My hair was dyed blonde there and now is my natural brunette but you get the idea. I am 5' 2.5" and have always been big busted, wide hips and shoulders. Pretty sexy huh? LOL

MIW
MIW. This is a wonderful pic. You are lovely! The soaps were nice but I really like this pic!
MaryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I would like to give this a try but it seems if I eat early in the day I tend to eat eat eat all day long. Did any of you face that problem and did the BB fix it?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Another loss

Good Morning,
I am so excited!!! I lost .6 lb this morning. I had probably a 900 cal breakfast, coffee with cream for lunch, dinner I had a diet coke with a little rum and a few ounces of pork tenderloin and a salad with blue cheese dressing. Not much of the salad. We were out with a big group of friends. Now I don't plan on doing this unless it is a night out with friends which might be once a wk but it is nice to know we can manage our lives to suit ourselves and not be shakey hungry or craving all of the time. Those carbs for breakfast and plenty of protein seem to do the trick. I am so excited and nervous at the same time that this won't last or I will mess up.

Today is just big breakfast and coffee with cream which I just finished. I will fix my husband a big brunch when he is ready so then he will be fine with a nice big chef salad for dinner. I will have coffee with cream with him.

This morning I had carb masters black forest yogurt, 2T cream,1 cup raspberries and shaved choc all mixed together, heaven! Salmon and spinach quiche (no crust) and 6 dove candies. I am full and don't feel sick which is the way I felt only eating protein for breakfast! Can't thank MIW and Oriana enough for all the help. I have been at wits end when everything I did before didn't work and I felt terrible besides.

Last edited by MaryN; 10-06-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescarb View Post
I have read CALP and SEC. For those of you that have read both SEC and BB diet, do you think it is necessary to read the BB diet book. I read what MIW said about there being more science in the SEC and I'm wondering if I should spend the money and time to read BB diet or if I already know most of what I should from reading SEC???
No, just get it from the library if they carry it. I got it for like $4 off of amazon and checked out the SEC from the library because it was more expensive.

The take away from BB is the be done by 9am, and if you eat later try to be done by 3pm. And to eat at least 7 ounces of protein with your carbs. Also the smoothies. But don't worry if you do eat, just make sure it is low carb if you eat later in the day.

MIW
Old 10-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryN View Post
MIW. This is a wonderful pic. You are lovely! The soaps were nice but I really like this pic!
Thanks! Sometimes it is nice to have the image of the person when you chat with them, LOL

MIW
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Thanks! Sometimes it is nice to have the image of the person when you chat with them, LOL

MIW
Yes I agree! Love to see peeps.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I would like to give this a try but it seems if I eat early in the day I tend to eat eat eat all day long. Did any of you face that problem and did the BB fix it?
I am so new at this so hate to give much advice but it seems to me. MIW and Oriana are the experts but I wonder if you tried it and were hungry if you would let yourself eat just meat if that would help.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes I did. I was fine all day then around 6pm MAJOR hunger. It was crazy. I realized it was because I wasn't eating enough food, plus not enough protein. You do not have to only eat one meal a day. You can have other meals later in the day as long as they are low carb veggies and protein/fat. The BB is much less lenient on that and what she considers Low Carb IS NOT what the Heller's do. In fact she has a cabbage soup recipe for people to sip on throughout the day. That is definately a no-no on CAD because it doesn't matter what you eat, but the frequency and ANY food will cause insulin release. The more insulin, the more fat storage and more hunger and weight gain. So if you are insulin resistant or suspect you are, I vote to follow CAD rules with eating ANY meal in an hour or less, aiming for "balance" with the RM of 1/3 protein/fats, 1/3 low carb veggies, 1/3 carbs of your choice, and any other meal should be 1/2 protein/fat and 1/2 low carb veggie. You should ideally space 90 minutes or more apart between meals. There are a few other things so join the carb threads as well and at the beginning of almost any of them there are a list of the rules, the veggies. Bascially what I described above is the main things.

We just do our carbs for breakfast because it really does seem to make one lose weight faster, even eating the same amounts and types of foods one might at night. Once I worked the kinks out I can now go all day (23 hours!) and not eat again until my next BB. But usually at least once a week, sometimes twice I will have a CM later in the day if I do get hungry.

MIW
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

I was only up 1.5 pounds from my free day. I really thing the key is to start my "first breakfast" at around 5 a.m. with mono fruit and a lot of it like a big fruit bowl of 3-5 pcs. of fruit and then my open breakfast before 10 a.m. I used to eat like this on my fruitarian plan but would eat fruit all day and my open meal at night and gained. I am really getting skinny. I remember the fruitarians telling everyone NOT to eat late at night because you could gain from it even though it was raw. Now I know my plan is going to be to start every day with fruit for breakfast number 1. I LOVE THIS. Even on my free day I did it but at through dinner. I have to say though that I felt a bit "drugged" this morning even though I didn't eat a bunch for dinner. My body doesn't like eating late, but it sure was fun having a free day. 108 today up from 106.5
Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Deleted because I posted the same thing twice.

Last edited by MaryN; 10-06-2013 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Posted twice
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #292
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
If you haven't already you may want to try CAD first as with that program you can eat the big meal any time of day that suits you. I may try the BB at some point, but right now I am very satisfied with a 1 hr. CAD meal in the late afternoon or as an early dinner.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Well, ladies, you are so inspiring and I really wanted this to work. But for now it does not seem to be right for me. I've done it for five days. I'm down 1 lb but my belly feels bigger - I won't be surprised if I'm up tomorrow. I just don't feel good on this. Today I even added carbs to my breakfast in case that was my missing piece, but now it's only been 3 hours since I ate and I want to eat again.

Tomorrow I'm going back to my normal breakfast and large lunch. I was doing that before, losing, feeling wonderful, very happy, and my belly was getting smaller. I hope I haven't lost the magic!

Congrats to all who have found their WOE! MIW, love seeing your beautiful picture!

Yvonne
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Here are my weekly avg. You see my decent loss the last 2 weeks? That is from switching RM's to breakfast! Trust me I still eat eat eat and the weight is coming off way better!

Week 43- 215.4 215 215.8 X X 214.2 214.2 (214.92) -0.59

Week 44- 212.6 213.4 213.2 214 215 X 215.8 (214) -0.92

Week 45- 215 215.2 X 213.2 213.2 214 214.8 (214.23) +0.23

Week 46- X 214.4 215 216.6 217.8 216.4 214.2 (215.73) +1.50

Week 47- 215.2 216 X X 215.8 214.6 214.6 (215.24) -0.49

Week 48- 213.6 214 215.4 213.2 213.2 215 214.2 (214.09) -1.33

Week 49- 213 211.8 212 212.2 213 212.4 213 (212.49) -1.60

MIW
Old 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
Well, ladies, you are so inspiring and I really wanted this to work. But for now it does not seem to be right for me. I've done it for five days. I'm down 1 lb but my belly feels bigger - I won't be surprised if I'm up tomorrow. I just don't feel good on this. Today I even added carbs to my breakfast in case that was my missing piece, but now it's only been 3 hours since I ate and I want to eat again.

Tomorrow I'm going back to my normal breakfast and large lunch. I was doing that before, losing, feeling wonderful, very happy, and my belly was getting smaller. I hope I haven't lost the magic!

Congrats to all who have found their WOE! MIW, love seeing your beautiful picture!

Yvonne
Hey don't worry about it. You have to do what is right for you! Yes, it will work no matter when you eat, just some ways go faster or others and we are all different with different metabolisms. No, you won't lose your magic! Just keep it up day after day. You see my almost year long daily wts I post? I keep chipping away at it! LOL

MIW
Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Well today I did get hungry so I am going ahead and having a later CM. I love how flexible this WOE is and do not force feed myself NOR starve myself!

Today's CM:
1/4 head of raw cabbage
large pc of elk pepperoni
1 pc of string cheese

I wasn't as hungry as usual this RM breakfast and think it was too carby. It was one of those chicken meddley bags you cook up in a skillet from Costco. I picked out all the brocoli and ate all of it to get more veggies and thought I grabbed as much of the chicken to get enough protein but probably wasn't enough. Oh well, feelin good and my weekly avg this week is definately a NEW LOW

MIW
Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Only one day after my free day and I am below where I started. On my free day I was 106.5 and after my free day I was 108. Today I am 106! I still eat early breakfasts but the only thing I have switched is that I always start breakfast #1 at around 4-5 a.m. with a mono fruit meal. I have been eating 2 large mangos. Then I wait two hours and have my big breakfast. Today was 2 mangos before my run. It is now about 7:30 and I am cooking orange chicken and rice with a side of broccoli and tomatoes with ranch. Then I will either have two large donuts with coffee and cream or two haagen dazs bars. I haven't decided yet. I am trying to get hungry and just am not yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Today's Big Breakfast RM from 8-9am:

1 C leftover chicken noodle cabbage stir fry
1 large tortilla
1/2 C cheese
1 scrambled egg
4 pc bacon (made a wrap with this)
Large smoothie with 1 banana, 1 orange, 1 apple, 1 C ice and 1 C full fat vanilla yogurt
Large coffee milkshake with 2 C moosetracks ice cream, 1/2 C half & half, 1 SB via
4 Chocholate chip cookies

MIW
Old 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jonescarb
Stats: 225/151/130
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: April 2009(Low Carb)-CAD Sep 16 2014
I'm going to stop the Chromium. It could be pure coincidence, but I took it for 2 days in the afternoons and on the morning after on both days I was up a 1/2 lb. I didn't take it yesterday and today I'm back down to 140.8. could be something else, but I'm gonna leave it off for now. I'm glad to see others post their weights. It's reassuring to see that although the weights bounce around, they still continue going down.
Still tying to get down to 1 meal per day, but it's really hard.
I did manage it yesterday. Yesterday I had
5am-coffee and cream, 1.5 petit fours, 1/2 plate BBQ with sauce, 3 sausage links, 4 sq. fruit and nut bar, 4 fun size candy bars, 1 cube cheese

Down a total of 4 lbs my first week
jonescarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescarb View Post
I'm going to stop the Chromium. It could be pure coincidence, but I took it for 2 days in the afternoons and on the morning after on both days I was up a 1/2 lb. I didn't take it yesterday and today I'm back down to 140.8. could be something else, but I'm gonna leave it off for now. I'm glad to see others post their weights. It's reassuring to see that although the weights bounce around, they still continue going down.
Still tying to get down to 1 meal per day, but it's really hard.
I did manage it yesterday. Yesterday I had
5am-coffee and cream, 1.5 petit fours, 1/2 plate BBQ with sauce, 3 sausage links, 4 sq. fruit and nut bar, 4 fun size candy bars, 1 cube cheese

Down a total of 4 lbs my first week
That is great! I wish I could see a big "whoosh" but I see I am destined to just be a metabolism that slowly loses microscopic layers from day to day. I love your menu! LOL

MIW