Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Perfect Health Diet - April

New thread for all of our PHD'ers to gather.

The PERFECT HEALTH Plan...

Dr. Jaminet's recommendations:

•About 3 pounds of plant foods per day, including: ◦About 1 pound of safe starches, such as white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and taro;
◦About 1 pound of sugary in-ground vegetables (such as beets or carrots), fruits, and berries;
◦Low-calorie vegetables to taste, including fermented vegetables and green leafy vegetables.

•One-half to one pound per day of meat or fish, which should include organ meats, and should be drawn primarily from: ◦ruminants (beef, lamb, goat);
◦birds (especially duck and wild or naturally raised birds);
◦Shellfish and freshwater and marine fish.

•Low omega-6 fats and oils from animal or tropical plant sources, to taste. Good sources include: ◦butter, sour cream, beef tallow, duck fat;
◦coconut milk or oil
◦palm oil, palm kernel oil, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut butter, almond butter, cashew butter

•Acids to taste, especially citric acid (lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice), lactic acid from fermented or pickled vegetables, vinegars, tannic acids from wine, and tomatoes.
•Broths or stocks made from animal bones and joints.
•Snacks or desserts from our pleasure foods: fruits and berries, nuts, alcohol, chocolate, cream, and fructose-free sweeteners like dextrose or rice syrup.

By weight, the diet works out to about 3/4 plant foods, 1/4 animal foods. By calories, it works out to about 600 carb calories, primarily from starches; around 300 protein calories; and fats supply a majority (50-60%) of daily calories.

In the shadow of the apple are foods forbidden because of their high toxin content. Notably:
•Do not eat cereal grains — wheat, barley, oats, corn — or foods made from them — bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, oatmeal. The exception is white rice, which we count among our “safe starches.” Rice noodles, rice crackers, and the like are fine, as are gluten-free foods made from a mix of rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch.
•Do not eat calorie-rich legumes. Peas and green beans are fine. Soy and peanuts should be absolutely excluded. Beans might be acceptable with suitable preparation, but we recommend avoiding them.
•Do not eat foods with added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Do not drink anything that contains sugar: healthy drinks are water, tea, and coffee.
•Polyunsaturated fats should be a small fraction of the diet (~4% of total calories). To achieve this, do not eat seed oils such as soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, or the like.

We highly recommend certain foods for their micronutrients. These include liver, kidney, egg yolks, seaweeds, shellfish, fermented vegetables, and bone broths.
We also recommend augmenting the diet with certain supplements. These nutrients are deficient in modern diets due to removal of minerals from drinking water by treatment, depletion of minerals from soil by agriculture, or modern lifestyles that deprive us of vitamin D by indoor living.

We recommend tweaking the diet for certain diseases. Neurological disorders often benefit from a diet that is ketogenic; other conditions may benefit from lower carb diets. These variations are discussed in the book.

Perfect Health Diet
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 04-01-2013 at 05:00 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy April's Fool PHD friends!

Nancy, I saw your post and hope that you are having fun. It sounds like your life is really moving at a fast pace! Enjoy!

I have been out of bone broth for the last few days and I am not happy! Hope to make some more tonight.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I asked if anyone knew anything about Grapefruit Seed Extract and if it was safe PHD wise or should be considered a toxin? I use it on my toothbrush and also to gargle with when I feel a bug coming on. It is suppose to fight infection of the gums and throat, such as strep, etc. I found GSE is a great method to clean my fruits and veggies. A couple of drops in water and it is excellent for cleaning the pesticides, toxins from any food, etc.Well, I went to look for health benefits and found the following...

Does it seem like this is a miracle supp? It is low cost and last a long time as well. I am hoping to find out one way or another. I guess I will post this question on his Q&A.

Quote:
Sickroom -- Spritz with a solution of GSE in water. Add it to a
vaporizer or mop water.
Mouth and Gum Infections -- Swish and gargle with water-diluted
GSE. You can swallow it for internal benefit.
Sore throat -- Gargle with diluted GSE and swallow. Many germs enter the body through the mouth, so stop them in their tracks. GSC kills strep throat germs and helps viral sore throats, too.
Candida Overgrowth -- Drink a diluted GSE solution to kill yeast in your gut. Even babies with thrush (an oral yeast infection) can be helped by drinking a few ounces of water with a couple drops of GSE added. For female yeast infections, dilute and ****** 12 hours apart for at least 3 days (grapefruit seed extract is considered by some to be even more effective than nystatin and other yeast-killing agents—and without the bad side effects of those drugs). For thorough treatment, some women drink GSE regularly for several months. Others stay on a maintenance dose for longer. And, of course, cutting down on sugar and refined foods will improve your chance of victory in the yeast war.
Baby wipes -- Mix water, aloe vera gel, GSE, and any pleasant-smelling essential oil. Soak paper towels or small washcloths in the solution, and store them in a plastic container near the changing table. GSE kills painful yeast-related diaper rashes.
Skin and scalp cleaner -- Add GSE to shampoo and regular liquid soaps, or dilute with water and chamomile tea or aloe gel for a facial scrub. It's beneficial for dermatitis and acne. For warts and cysts, GSE can be applied undiluted (the only exception to the dilution rule) directly onto the affected area; cover with a bandage. With these applications, you can skip the antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers. They cause your body to become more resistant to antibiotics -- which you might really need someday for a life-threatening emergency.
Diarrhea, food poisoning, stomach flu -- Dilute and swallow GSE every few hours as needed. Be sure to take GSC on trips out of the country (use bottled water for diluting).
Poison ivy and poison oak -- Symptoms improve and feel better quickly after an application of diluted GSE.
Parasite cleansing -- Even folks in non-third world countries can have parasites that weaken their health thanks to imported foods, sushi, other popular raw foods, and household pets (dogs can transmit 65 known parasites to humans while cats carry about 40 contagious diseases that affect people). Drink a few ounces of GSC solution regularly, and enjoy your pets and sushi without worry.
Athlete's foot, ringworm, and other skin and nail fungus problems. -- Spray with a diluted solution.

General Purpose Uses:
Animals -- Dogs, cats, birds, all livestock, and even fish can benefit from GSE for wound healing, parasite treatment, and in place of antibiotics. Cats will ingest sprayed-on GSE solution when they groom themselves. Clean your dog's kennel and the cat's litterbox with diluted GSE. Put a few drops in your fish tank and get rid of algae problems! It helps prevent fish diseases, too.
Drinking water -- If you aren't sure about the safety of water you have available and can’t boil or distill it, first let the particles settle (or filter them out), then treat with GSE. It tastes a little bitter, but you''ll know it's keeping you safe from parasites and disease.
Toothbrushes -- Keep family members from re-infecting themselves with germs left on their toothbrushes. Mix up a glass of GSE solution for each person to soak their toothbrush in between uses. The mixture will last for several days before needing replacement (a GSE-soaked brush should be rinsed before using it again).
Fruit and vegetable wash -- Remove pesticides and parasites before eating. You can add GSE to a bowl or sink full of water, or you can make a spray. This is much cheaper than expensive food washes sold at the store and just as effective. You'll find fruits and vegetables stay fresh longer, too.
Replace toxic cleaners and bleach -- Make a spray bottle for cleaning your bathrooms and kitchens (don't forget the cutting boards). It disinfects even better than rubbing alcohol or colloidal silver! GSE helps do away with mold problems. Add GSE to your laundry to disinfect and brighten clothes and bedding.
Public bathrooms -- Combine a dab of baby shampoo with water and GSE, and soak paper towels in the solution to make your own wipes. Keep them fresh in a zippered plastic bag in your purse or diaper bag. Or carry a tiny spray bottle with the diluted mixture to spritz questionable surfaces.
Houseplants -- If you have an aphid problem or scaly mold, dilute GSE with water and spray the tops and bottoms of leaves and stems. You can add cayenne or garlic juice for stubborn plant problems.
Sprouts -- Treat the sprouts you grow with a diluted GSE mixture and spin them dry for a longer life in the fridge.
For home and body health, a Grapefruit Seed Extract solution is the solution!
Important: Always dilute Grapefruit Seed Extract before using, and never use any form of Grapefruit Seed Extract in your eyes.

Last edited by sunday; 04-01-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Thanks, Sunday. Miracle indeed.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Happy April!

Nancy- good to see you stop by. You are one busy lady!

Sunday, I do have grapefruit seed extract. I was told about it a few years ago and got the liquid. Ugh I couldn't tolerate the bitter flavor. So I got tablet form. I use it when I feel the first inkling of a sore throat and it usually does the trick. I do use it in my homemade saline nasal solution and my homemade toothpaste. I used it during the flu season in a mix of ingredients called Defense. I used to use it to wash my fruits and veges. Like so many supplements, I use them for awhile and when I don't see miracles happen I stop taking them or forget about them. There are soooooo many supplements to take. Sometimes I worry about what I am mixing with what, you know what I mean?
It is in my bag of first aid things to take when I travel along with magical activated charcoal capsules.
Thanks for bringing it up again as a reminder to me. I wouldn't imagine it would be a PHD toxin since it is taken in such small amounts. No one could tolerate it in any great amount. In fact, I think it would be a good thing to fight against some of the toxins out there in the world.

Hi Cici- how are you doing? Seems you are making many PHD improvements.

I , who was the best sleeper ever, am struggling with my sleep and I don't know why. The other day I woke at 2 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. Last night I tossed and turned all night long. Definitely not good for healing!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Bev & Cic,
I will be back later today with more news, but I received my bloodwork results yesterday and was surprised to find that my thyroid is much worse. Not a happy camper. I have been hypo for the last 10 years and medicating with Armour and thought I was doing well. In fact, since beginning PHD I felt so good, that I assumed it meant that I was healing, but unless my results are whacked then my thyroid may be doing something altogether different? It has nothing to do with my new PHD foods or supplements, but more to do with my sadly defunct thyroid.

Bev, I am sorry to hear about your sleep issues. I have gone through a bit of that lately as well, but chocked it up to external stressors. I usually sleep heavy no matter what, so I know I am stressed when I can't.

Back soon.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hi Bev & Cic,
I will be back later today with more news, but I received my bloodwork results yesterday and was surprised to find that my thyroid is much worse. Not a happy camper. I have been hypo for the last 10 years and medicating with Armour and thought I was doing well. In fact, since beginning PHD I felt so good, that I assumed it meant that I was healing, but unless my results are whacked then my thyroid may be doing something altogether different? It has nothing to do with my new PHD foods or supplements, but more to do with my sadly defunct thyroid.

Bev, I am sorry to hear about your sleep issues. I have gone through a bit of that lately as well, but chocked it up to external stressors. I usually sleep heavy no matter what, so I know I am stressed when I can't.

Back soon.
Oh no.... I am really sorry to hear this. Do let us know your updated news. I am really sorry.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Before PHD, I was doing a lot of LC baking. I thought I was doing really well avoiding gluten and eating healthy things like nuts. Then along came PHD and I realized how out of whack I was probably getting with my omega3 and omega 6's. I realized my "baking" LC or otherwise should be a once in awhile treat. Once-in-a-while.
I just read this article from a lady's blog- her name is Lauren. It reiterated this to me. Thought I would share.

1. Almond flour skews perception about quantity
Get this: A cup of almond flour contains about 90 almonds! I calculated that by dividing 640 calories in a cup of almond flour by 7 calories in an almond. Almond flour disguises the consumption of the nuts.
For example, this ever-popular Almond Flour Pancake recipe from Elana’s Pantry calls for 1 1/2 cups of almond flour and yields about 4 servings (or 2-3 servings, if you have a hearty pancake appetite).
There are about 135 almonds in the entire batch, and 33 almonds per serving (for 4 servings). That is like 3 big handfuls of almonds, eaten at one sitting!
Imagine sitting down and mindfully chewing 33 almonds at one meal. After perhaps a big handful, your body would tell you “Okay. I’m full. That’s enough almonds for right now.” As you may know from experience, your body loses that perception and communication when consuming almond flour.

2. Almond flour is very high in inflammatory PUFAS
About 30% of the fat in almonds is polyunsaturated fatty acids (Omega 6 or PUFAs). Unfortunately, our modern diets tend to overburden our bodies with polyunsaturated fats which leads to numerous health issues.
Here are a few reasons why it is important NOT to go overboard with polyunsaturated fats.

PUFAS in suppress mitochondrial energy production. In non-chemistry language, PUFAS slow down the metabolism
PUFAS encourage an inflammatory response in the body, while omega-3s generally suppress inflammation
PUFAS cause digestive issues by impairing the action of certain digestive enzymes
PUFAS slow down thyroid function
PUFAS inhibit detoxification enzymes
PUFAS deplete antioxidants in the body
PUFAS inhibit production of progesterone and androgens while activating production of estrogen. This encourages estrogen-dominancy in the body and this contributes to many health issues like weight gain, PMS, hormonal acne and more.

Polyunsaturated fats aren’t inherently evil, only harmful when consumed in excess. The consumption of almond flour is an easy way to overload the body with a detrimental amount of PUFAS.

3. The fats in almond flour aren’t heat stable
Okay, quick chemistry reminder. Saturated fats have single bonds between all the carbon molecules of the fatty acid chain. Monounsaturated fats have one double bond replacing a single bond in the carbon chain. Polyunsaturated have more than one double bond in the carbon chain.
Double bonds are more unstable than single bonds. The more double bonds in a fatty acid, the more unstable it is (polyunsaturated is the least stable, followed by monounsaturated, followed by saturated being the most stable). When the double bonds break, the fatty acid undergoes a process called oxidation.
Processing, heat, light and pressure all cause these double bonds to break. Raw (or soaked and dehydrated) almonds have their polyunsaturated fats intact, and so the only fat issues are those discussed in the previous section. But putting almond flour in a hot environment–like an oven–is going to break some of those double bonds and create oxidized fatty acids.
Why are oxidized fats bad? In a nutshell, oxidized fats = free radicals. Free radicals = cell damage. Of course, we will inevitably have some free radicals in our body. Fortunately, we can consume sources of antioxidants (like fresh fruits and veggies) to combat free radical damage. But if too much oxidized fats, like from large amounts of almond flour, are consumed, our body is depleted of antioxidants and damage to body cells ensues.

4. Almond flour is high in oxalates
I’ve already written a helpful overview on oxalates. I don’t want to repeat the whole article here, at the risk of making this post even longer.
If you are a bit overwhelmed with almond info, here are the main points about oxalates:

They are primarily an issue for those with leaky gut , gut dysbiosis, arthritis and behavioral issues like A.D.D
Almond flour has a ton of oxalates

5. Coconut flour is healthier than almond flour
When it comes to grain free baking, coconut flour is my top choice.
Unlike almond flour, the fat in coconut flour is primarily saturated fat. That means it is safe to heat and it is not toxic to the body. The coconut oil in coconut flour is a veritable superfood, celebrated for weight loss, candida control, metabolism boosting and more. While the fats in almond flour slow metabolism, the fats in coconut flour actually speed up metabolism!
Additionally, a little goes a long way. Coconut flour seems pricey at first, but it stretches. .

Second, remember not to over-do the coconut flour. I limit myself to 2-4 tablespoons of coconut flour per day, mostly because it can be pricy when consumed in abundance. But more importantly, coconut flour is very high in fiber and that is not necessarily a good thing.
Third, it is important to start with reliable recipes when using coconut flour.

What about phytic acid?
As you may know, phytic acid is an anti-nutrient that prevents your body from absorbing minerals. Almonds, like all nuts and seeds, have high levels of phytic acid if they aren’t soaked and dehydrated. But in almonds, most of the phytic acid is in the brown skin which is removed before the almonds are processed into flour. So phytic acid is a minor issue when it comes to almond flour. You should, however, consider the health detriments of phytic acid if you are using another nut/seed flour that is not made from soaked and dehydrated nuts.

Almond flour and MODERATION
Almond flour should be used in judicious moderation. Perhaps that means one almond flour treat once every couple of weeks. For example, I use my homemade Sunflour, which has the same issues as almond flour discussed in this post, for baking maybe once a month. Maybe set aside the almond flour just for special occasions. I would also suggest giving your body a break from almond flour for a month, and see if you feel… different. You may feel more energy or have less pain and inflammation. You may not. We’re all unique, so you have to experiment and discover what best fuels your body.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great info Bev. I have yet to bake anything! I have coconut, tapioca flour, and xanthum gum. I was wondering about white rice flour??? Or potato starch flour? What do you think? Have you tried either? I really have been eyeing the LC brownies that were posted in the gluten-free thread. I don't know what it is about chocolate?

The issue with coconut flour is that you do have to mix with another gluten free flour or it can make your goodies too dry.

Doc did not call me back, so I am in limbo about my thyroid business. Has anyone ever experienced soreness or tenderness around your thyroid or neck area? I notice mine has been tender recently.

Last edited by sunday; 04-02-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I meant to mention, that I wrote Sven awhile back about missing her. I haven't heard back, but wondered if anyone else knew how she was? I miss her. I know she had a family get together and then a work conference. Kristin's father is very ill and so naturally she is away with him. Good thoughts going out to her.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love your new siggie Bev.

Sugar is the worst toxin. Did you know that I can tell when I eat something that has hidden sugar (usually by accident)? I can see it on my face. I don't know if it is because of having completely cleaned my gut or what the deal is, but I will break out with a big ol' pimple.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Great info Bev. I have yet to bake anything! I have coconut, tapioca flour, and xanthum gum. I was wondering about white rice flour??? Or potato starch flour? What do you think? Have you tried either? I really have been eyeing the LC brownies that were posted in the gluten-free thread. I don't know what it is about chocolate?

The issue with coconut flour is that you do have to mix with another gluten free flour or it can make your goodies too dry.

Doc did not call me back, so I am in limbo about my thyroid business. Has anyone ever experienced soreness or tenderness around your thyroid or neck area? I notice mine has been tender recently.

I'm sorry you did not hear back. I have not had soreness or tenderness around my thyroid or neck area, but my mom did. I hope it is nothing!

Wow you haven't baked anything. That is my weakness. In the past posts I talked about a yeast bread I make. It has white rice flour, resistant corn starch, and tapioca flour. It should be PHD okay. You just can't eat a whole loaf of it in one sitting!!! I also use another mix sometimes that is pre-packaged and that has sweet potato flour and potato starch and rice flour that I think is fine as well. It just is kind of pricey! I just usually make the other one and put together the flours on my own.

At least chocolate is good for you! I have made many many recipes with coconut flour from this site and from the Low carbing among friends blogs and cookbooks. Coconut flour does need extra fluid or the product is very dry. You need to add a lot of eggs or other fluid. I find using chia gel with it is very helpful, but I don't think chia is approved PHD. I was using Ouiz's fabulous flour mix for a muffin every day. She changed the name of it I actually came up with the name!!) to Better Than Flour. There are two links to it in the recipe section. It has coconut flour in it. There are recipes there for brownies, cookies, muffins, pancakes, donuts, donut holes, piecrust, yellow cake, chocolate cake, pineapple upside down cake etc.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

Maybe I shouldn't give anyone that link. It does use oat fiber however and I am not sure how bad that is on the PHD scale of life.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Also, I meant to mention, that I wrote Sven awhile back about missing her. I haven't heard back, but wondered if anyone else knew how she was? I miss her. I know she had a family get together and then a work conference. Kristin's father is very ill and so naturally she is away with him. Good thoughts going out to her.
I haven't seen her posting anywhere. I miss her input too. Plus I enjoyed Blue Sojourn, Joyce, and the others who I haven't seen post here for some time. It gets really lonely on this thread sometimes!! I didn't know Kristin's dad was so ill. I am so sorry.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I love your new siggie Bev.

Sugar is the worst toxin. Did you know that I can tell when I eat something that has hidden sugar (usually by accident)? I can see it on my face. I don't know if it is because of having completely cleaned my gut or what the deal is, but I will break out with a big ol' pimple.
It is a terrible toxin and I am an addict. I need to stay AWAY!! Now that I have for awhile, like you, I can tell if I get some in my system. I get kind of a dizzy feeling. Not a good sign, I know.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I love your siggie, too, Sunday. A good reminder. That is stinky news about your thyroid but I wondered if the test results had anything to do with lowering your meds. I thought you mentioned doing that a while back. By the way, it was so nice of you to go checking up on our MIAs. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Bev, you brought up a great point regarding the use of substitute flours. Never heard it explained so thoroughly. Frankly, for me, anything that is not used in its whole food form is a recipe for weight gain. If it is too good, I will eat too much.

I have been wondering why I have been wanting to eat and eat the past few days. Two reasons just hit me. High doses of sugar, plus some alcohol over the weekend and emerging cold symptoms tonight, both make me eat like a maniac. Vitamin C and an oyster coming up.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sugar addiction - raises hand - is truly terrible once you get used to not eating the stuff!

Re: 100% chocolate
When I first got and ate a bit, I thought it was unpalatable and, frankly, yuck. So I put it aside for future cooking. A few weeks later I found myself in a Must-Have-Sweets mood on a DD. Nothing in the house was appropriate for DD eating. So, I broke out the 100% and ate a square slowly. Still did not like the taste, kind of liked the texture. Realized that, although it was not sweet, one square subdued the craving beast and left me feeling more satisfied than a bag of Halloween candy (which, of course, tends to just feed and stimulate said beast).

Lesson learned: with time, and the re-enforcing, intense feeling of satisfaction, 90% - 100% chocolate changed from yuck to wonderful.

Re: Baking
Beverly, bless you for doing and sharing such in-depth research! I don't have time to bake yet. But the end is in sight and someday soon I am going to join you becoming queen of gf, healthy baking.

I had extrapolated a lot of the nut-flour info...that was an awesome write-up! The PUFAs thing just becomes scarier and scarier. In a culture that has made fats into the enemy, we are being poisoned by the preferred fat! Argh. Too weird. Someone give me stick of organic, cultured butter, stat!

Re: Liver
My parents believed liver, and other innards, were delicacies to be enjoyed. Pate was the best food, reserved for special occasions. When we married, DH hated the smell and taste. So, I gradually moved away from liver. All these recipes, and all the reading I did even before PHD, are pulling me back. Even before baking, I am going to learn to make those!

Hugs to all present and absent!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I love your siggie, too, Sunday. A good reminder. That is stinky news about your thyroid but I wondered if the test results had anything to do with lowering your meds. I thought you mentioned doing that a while back. By the way, it was so nice of you to go checking up on our MIAs. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Bev, you brought up a great point regarding the use of substitute flours. Never heard it explained so thoroughly. Frankly, for me, anything that is not used in its whole food form is a recipe for weight gain. If it is too good, I will eat too much.

I have been wondering why I have been wanting to eat and eat the past few days. Two reasons just hit me. High doses of sugar, plus some alcohol over the weekend and emerging cold symptoms tonight, both make me eat like a maniac. Vitamin C and an oyster coming up.
It's interesting when we are able to identify the source of the desire to eat and eat. Mine also relates back to sugar. I seem to be able to drink a glass of wine and not have cravings, but sugar turns me into a monster. I love your treatment of vit C and an oyster. I still can't eat an oyster, but it is a great treatment. Several times during the winter I felt a cold coming on. I washed my homegrown meyer lemons and zested them.
I mixed a tablespoon of the zest with some of the juice and raw honey (okay, so it's not PHD), and took it several times a day. I was so happy not to get sick this year when those around me have had terrible colds and coughs and sore throats. Knock on wood.
I hope you were able to knock it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Sugar addiction - raises hand - is truly terrible once you get used to not eating the stuff!

Re: 100% chocolate
When I first got and ate a bit, I thought it was unpalatable and, frankly, yuck. So I put it aside for future cooking. A few weeks later I found myself in a Must-Have-Sweets mood on a DD. Nothing in the house was appropriate for DD eating. So, I broke out the 100% and ate a square slowly. Still did not like the taste, kind of liked the texture. Realized that, although it was not sweet, one square subdued the craving beast and left me feeling more satisfied than a bag of Halloween candy (which, of course, tends to just feed and stimulate said beast).

Lesson learned: with time, and the re-enforcing, intense feeling of satisfaction, 90% - 100% chocolate changed from yuck to wonderful.

Re: Baking
Beverly, bless you for doing and sharing such in-depth research! I don't have time to bake yet. But the end is in sight and someday soon I am going to join you becoming queen of gf, healthy baking.

I had extrapolated a lot of the nut-flour info...that was an awesome write-up! The PUFAs thing just becomes scarier and scarier. In a culture that has made fats into the enemy, we are being poisoned by the preferred fat! Argh. Too weird. Someone give me stick of organic, cultured butter, stat!

Re: Liver
My parents believed liver, and other innards, were delicacies to be enjoyed. Pate was the best food, reserved for special occasions. When we married, DH hated the smell and taste. So, I gradually moved away from liver. All these recipes, and all the reading I did even before PHD, are pulling me back. Even before baking, I am going to learn to make those!

Hugs to all present and absent!!!
That is VERY interesting about the 100%. I tried some after someone (maybe you) said they loved it. I am not there yet I guess. I don't like the texture or flavor. I CAN eat one piece of it and not want more however. I have had to stay away from the 85% version because I simply cannot eat a square or two.

On the liver, my mom made it once a week with bacon and onions and my brother and dad loved it. I despised the texture (calves liver) and the smell made me ill. I had to sit in my chair until I finished it. It actually was torture for me. When I joined Weight Watcher's years ago, you had to have liver once a week. I never would. I have not found an easily accessible place to get the grass fed lamb liver to try the pate yet, and I can't say I am working that hard to do it.

Sunday, I am following to hear what goes on about your thyroid.

Blonde- how are you doing? Is your funk lifting?

Pete- any more good tips on your creative eating?

--
I am wondering if my sleep issues are stemming from taking iodine. I was supplementing a small bit after re-reading the PHD chapter. I don't want to just start and stop iodine, but I may cut it down a bit and see if I sleep better. I probably should just get it naturally in foods, but when I took the skin iodine test, I seem to not have enough. Not sure how accurate that test is however.

Keep Calm and PHD everyone.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Sick as a dog today. THe whopper caught me good. I suspect the alcohol may knocked out my immune system. I had 3 drinks between Saturday and Sunday.

I have never heard of the skin iodine test. Is that a home test?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Sick as a dog today. THe whopper caught me good. I suspect the alcohol may knocked out my immune system. I had 3 drinks between Saturday and Sunday.

I have never heard of the skin iodine test. Is that a home test?
Oh no.... so sorry Cici!! Makes you not want to drink, doesn't it? The iodine skin test is something my nutrition guru told me to do, but after that I read it isn't really a reliable test. It was weird though as mine indicated I was deficient, and 3 of my healthy thin friends test indicated they were normal!! Feel better and load up on that bone broth!

What is the iodine skin patch test?

The skin patch test involves painting a patch of tincture of iodine on the skin and then observing the time it takes before the patch disappears. As the theory goes, if the patch disappears within a few hours, that means your body is in need of iodine. The less time it takes for the iodine to fully absorb, the more iodine-deficient the body.
What kind of iodine should I use and where?

Tincture of iodine is available at most drugstores, near the hydrogen peroxide. Most solutions have a yellowish tint which is integral to the test. If you use a clear solution, you won’t be able to tell when the iodine is absorbed.

I haven’t found much information regarding which type of iodine to use, but a 2 percent solution seems adequate according to most sources I’ve come across. The only iodine available at my local Target was Povidone-Iodine so I used that.

It’s best to paint a soft area of skin that won’t be influenced by chronic agitation. The stomach or inner thigh is often suggested as a good place to apply the iodine tincture.
How fast does the iodine fade if I am iodine deficient?

As I researched this question, I started to notice the first cracks in the patch test theory. I could not find a standardized time frame to help gauge the level of iodine deficiency. One source said that if the iodine absorbed within 4 hours, it was an indicator of normal iodine levels. Another source said 4 hours was a sign of extreme deficiency. Hmmm… that’s strange.

Most reputable sources seemed to have the same ballpark figures. Anything under 4 hours indicates iodine deficiency (Dr Lynn August suggests 6 hours is more accurate). And most sources agree that a patch lasting more than 24 hours is an indicator of iodine sufficiency. But the discrepancies made me wonder how accurate this test can be.
Is the iodine patch test a reliable indicator of iodine deficiency?

I was fortunate to find an article by Dr. Guy Abraham addressing this very question. Dr. Abraham is the physician who introduced Dr. Brownstein to the ground-breaking research on iodine (Dr. Brownstein is the author of this month’s Cellulite BOTM, Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It). The two docs have been coordinating their research on iodine for several years.

Dr. Abraham explains that iodine is absorbed through the skin, but the absorption of topical iodine is not an accurate indicator of iodine deficiency because of other factors that can affect the absorption rate.

For example, if iodine is reduced to iodide by the skin, the yellow color of iodine will disappear because iodide is white… The evaporation of iodine from the skin increases with increased ambient temperatures and decreased atmospheric pressure due to weather conditions and altitudes. For example, the yellow color of iodine will disappear much faster in Denver, Colorado at 5,000 feet above sea level then Los Angeles, California at sea level, irrespective of the amount of bioavailable iodine.1

Dr. Abraham recommends the iodine loading test.

While the iodine loading test is undoubtedly more accurate, I believe there is still a place for the iodine patch test –as long as you understand its limitations. The patch test should not be used to make a diagnosis, but I can see how it could be a helpful way to monitor the progress of an effort to restore iodine levels in the body (especially for us laymen).
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is interesting, Beverly. I do worry - with all the delicious sea salt and very little seaweed - how to judge iodine levels. That chapter was particularly motivating.

I will try the test as soon as I am near an iodine source.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am sorry you are sick Cici. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I am very interested in this as well Bev. I did not have a good experience with supplementing with World Organics Liquid Potassium Iodide. I felt my head spin and was wound so tight that I couldn't wait for the relief.

On my thyroid, do any of you have experience with Parathyroid Disease or Hashi's? I am having more tests run and my GP is not an endo, so I am being referred. Will get back with what I learn.

Have a great Thurs PHD pals.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday- No, I don't have experience with Parathyroid Disease or Hashi's. Wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't.

Seems a few of us are going through some issues right now. I just need to vent a bit as I am feeling far from Perfect Health these days.

I went to the dentist yesterday and I have a problem that has persisted for years. Back in 2001, I had a root canal on tooth 31. You know, it was just never right after that. The gum would periodically swell and it seemed to be related to sinus problems I suffer with. In Feb 2012, I got a HUGE swelling around that tooth and I went in for evaluation. They just can't always tell with xray is the root is cracked or not. I went to the same endodontist who did the root canal in 2001. He felt he could save the tooth and did a second root canal. Well, that didn't fix the problem. Bacteria is still trapped and a fistula on my gum developed to let the toxins out. The dentist said yesterday that I really need to get this treated because it is like ignoring a boil on your arm and the body is always fighting a chronic infection.

As a person with Crohn's disease, this is a serious issue. I don't want to go back to the same guy who has not fixed this twice now. I was looking up online some other endodontits and came across a tooth meridian chart. It has long been believed that every body part -- organs, tissues, glands, etc. -- lie on a specific acupuncture meridian (energy channels or pathways). Each tooth is related to body parts by way of these meridians. In this way, our teeth are interconnected with the rest of our body. This chart is designed to help you discover which teeth lie on the same meridian with specific body parts and are, therefore, most directly connected.
What fascinated me was that tooth 31 directly correlates with the large intestine- the area of my IBD!!

As with all health info, there is so much conflicting info. The holistic dentists seem to be very against doing root canals for a variety of reasons, but then there are a host of problems with tooth extraction and dealing with further systemic disease, and many problems with bridges and implants. I just feel at a loss as to what to do and where to go. I also have to consider the cost as this will cost thousands, which ever way I go, and I have no dental insurance.

I do feel this is related in some way shape or form to my Crohn's issues and I just don't want this trapped bacteria and infection in my mouth. I will have to get a consultation or two I am sure, but I wondered if any of you have gone through this or know someone who has who might have some heads-up recommendations on how to proceed.

I dread going through this, but I was told I already have significant bone loss in the area and I need to take care of this now.

I am not smiling here in California and feeling very far from perfect health...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH Bev! I am so sorry. You need to post this question on Perfect Health Q & A. I really think this is important. Paul suffered so long with his gut and though it wasn't Crohn's, it was very bad. He may have some idea of what to do.

Are you taking anything for the pain? What about turmeric for inflammation? I do agree that the tooth is the cause for your Crohn's. Have you ever tried the LDN therapy for Crohn's? I know that mercola supports it and so does many other alternative doctors.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will be back later with more info.

Low-dose naltrexone therapy improves acti... [Am J Gastroenterol. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Low-Dose Naltrexone Therapy Improves
Active Crohn’s Disease
http://freepdfhosting.com/e062e0f6c5.pdf

Last edited by sunday; 04-04-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow.

Hugs and sympathies to everyone feeling ill and/or overwhelmed!

Sunday, I know nothing about thyroid...meaning I read a lot when Dawn (KeirasMom) was diagnosed, but have not had that ah-ha moment that converts it from information into something I understand.

Beverly, I know over the last twenty years (give or take) knowledge about the interrelationship of oral health with overall body health has been growing and growing. I find it interesting (and a bit disturbing) that doctors are becoming reluctant to extract when a deep and long-established infection is involved.

If you don't oil-pull with coconut oil, please do some research and consider starting (and try adding one - and I do mean 1 - drop of oil of oregano or tea tree oil to the CO). I don't think it will completely fix the infection, but it might help. I used to get horrible abscesses on my gums. OP stopped that from the first 'Can't hurt, I think I will try it'.

Cici, I hope your flare-up is passing!

Blonde, I am worried about you!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I will be back later with more info.

Low-dose naltrexone therapy improves acti... [Am J Gastroenterol. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Low-Dose Naltrexone Therapy Improves
Active Crohn’s Disease
http://freepdfhosting.com/e062e0f6c5.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Wow.

Hugs and sympathies to everyone feeling ill and/or overwhelmed!

Sunday, I know nothing about thyroid...meaning I read a lot when Dawn (KeirasMom) was diagnosed, but have not had that ah-ha moment that converts it from information into something I understand.

Beverly, I know over the last twenty years (give or take) knowledge about the interrelationship of oral health with overall body health has been growing and growing. I find it interesting (and a bit disturbing) that doctors are becoming reluctant to extract when a deep and long-established infection is involved.

If you don't oil-pull with coconut oil, please do some research and consider starting (and try adding one - and I do mean 1 - drop of oil of oregano or tea tree oil to the CO). I don't think it will completely fix the infection, but it might help. I used to get horrible abscesses on my gums. OP stopped that from the first 'Can't hurt, I think I will try it'.

Cici, I hope your flare-up is passing!

Blonde, I am worried about you!

Thanks ladies. I do think several of us are overwhelmed!! Sunday, I did do LDN for almost 6 years. My GI doc would not prescribe it as it wasn't protocol. My BFF's husband is a physician who thinks out of the box. He told me about it in the first place and wrote me a script. I had the stuff made up at a compounding pharmacy. I seemed to do okay on it, no "miracle" like many have reported. But then I had a HUGE flare and had to go on Remicade and then I could no longer take the LDN. It doesn't work with the meds I am on now. I thought it was going to be my magic.

Hey there Nancy. I do oil pull. I can't say consistently, but I do it. I think it has kept it from getting really awful, but as the dentist said, when the bacteria is in the root and the root is sealed, the bacteria bubbles and festers in an almost closed container and seeps out where it can. Thus the fistula. He said not even antibiotics can reach where it is trapped. I am not sure if the oil pulling can pull the toxins from that area, but it doesn't hurt to try. I will add the oil of oregano to it. Thanks for the tip.

I am a bit overwhelmed at the cost of having a surgery and possible implant. And there are so many opinions about implants and no implants. When I get overwhelmed, I do nothing and that is BAD!! Plus, when stressed and upset, I do not find myself eating well.

Cici- hope you are on the mend. Blonde and Sunday-

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-05-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am thinking more on the lines of trying to reduce possible spread of oozing infection. I am also realizing OP is my go-to for anything involving the mouth.

Huge Hug, Beverly! Sudden and large unexpected expenses are below the pits! Additionally, an out of control infection is not going to make thinking any easier.

On a more positive note, the Spring allergy season is upon us. And I am sniffly and sneezey. But for practically the first April in my life I am not actively ill and showing signs of ear infection. Bone broth, cleaner more balanced eating, and micronutrients seem to be paying off!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Hearing positive results Nancy!! That is really great news. And thanks for your ongoing support and expertise!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Hello and hugs to all. I am limited to phone web right now. Never coild get the hang of typing with one finger. Don.t know much about thyroid but Bev mentioned accupuncture meridian which reminded me to get out my reflexology book. The pressure points for colon, thyroid, intestines etc. are all on the front of the body and easy to massage. I am a big fan of turmeric for inflamation. Had an idea that a garlic clove might kill bacteria at the source but not sure if holding it on the tooth would cause burning.. Will be lurking.