Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I was also gungho to try the ETL plan but started before finishing the book and am finding some serious differences as I get farther in. Notably in the allowing of grains, legumes, more nuts/seeds. I don't do grains. I have never had a problem with legumes so am following his recommendation of up to 1c/day and trying the 1oz nuts/day but often forget. I do find the pound of raw veggies to be extreme and perhaps related to my digestive problems. I was going to give it 6 weeks, but am wavering.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Love the wreath!!!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
The wreath is beautiful!!!

I was pretty sick on Furman's plan, although I was gung-ho to do it.

Too many raw vegetables are hard for me to digest. I'm experimenting upping my vegetables by putting the frozen ones into the vitamix (this thing can grind concrete) smoothies. It is easier than cooking or pureeing into soups (I get tired of these quickly). Also, it doesn't take butter or salt to get them down if I go the smoothie route. I don't think these things are bad, but I use to much to get the vegetables down.

I love pureed cauliflower - that is the one thing I never tire of.
Thank you! I also loved pureed cauliflower. I love mine with some fresh grated nutmeg for some reason. Soooooo good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant if I got a stomach ache on Tues. it was following a meal with 4 brazil nuts. I never eat more than 4/day. Sometimes zero.
Oh good. Wouldn't want you to get toxic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Isn't it funny how tasty the brazil nuts are? I may have overdosed on the nuts too. My poor DH broke his crown on one of my brazil nuts last week and now has to have oral surgery to implant a new tooth and bone. I feel responsible, because I am always chiding him for not being health conscience, and he is taking baby steps toward eating healthy foods when this happened.
Especially if they are dark chocolate covered. The first ones I bought were dark chocolate covered and needless to say I was overdosing on selenium. Not good. I feel terrible for your DH!!! Being sensitive to the whole dental thing right now, I am going to be extra cautious biting into one. Poor man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I was also gungho to try the ETL plan but started before finishing the book and am finding some serious differences as I get farther in. Notably in the allowing of grains, legumes, more nuts/seeds. I don't do grains. I have never had a problem with legumes so am following his recommendation of up to 1c/day and trying the 1oz nuts/day but often forget. I do find the pound of raw veggies to be extreme and perhaps related to my digestive problems. I was going to give it 6 weeks, but am wavering.
Very interesting. I am like you and avoiding the grains. I couldn't handle all the fiber with my system, but it sounds intriguing. Do keep us posted on your thoughts and how you feel!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am in LOVE with the wreath! I have always wanted to try and do this. Although, I may have to opt for making one with faux succulents. The OK weather is not to be trusted.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Hi gals,
Popped over from a potato thread & spent some time catching up.
Bev - I'm sorry for your dental & eye issues. My mom has many eye issues too, but she swears the vitamins help. The wreath is beautiful!!
JUDDD has been good to be, basically 25# gone since Jan 1. But I feel like the losses inspire a healthier way. At first I loved it because I could eat cake & lose (and I did). Now, well, I don't know if it was my first potato hack or the fact that I had a horrible bout of GI disease I'm sti not recovered from but I'm craving goodness. I'm finishing day 3 of another potato hack but added some steamed asparagus last night too. This morning was the first day in weeks I woke up NOT feeling bloated, gassy & with an urgent need to run to the toilet. Apologies for the TMI but I wonder if the bland is helping me heal.
I don't just want to be skinny, I want to be healthy.
I think I can do a PHD lifestyle since it isn't asking me to give up meat. We raise pur own, and I won't give it up. Too yummy!
We are working on getting our garden started. My goal this summer is to learn to can so we have freshness in the winter too. Fresh being relative.
It's nice to have found where some if you ventured off to.
Jen

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Jen,I understand what you're saying about wanting to be lean and healthy. I got happily skinny on juddd but my body and head felt stressed.
Then I stopped rotations, added potatoes and broth, and got chunkier but healthy. (So healthy, by the way, that my body appears to have shifted backwards OUT of menopause! Bizarre!)
Anyway, for some reason I now feel healthy enough, or filled enough, or something, to be less desperate around food/eating/weight. I'm eating in response to hunger more often, and find myself less concerned with food when I'm not eating.
I used to think this was all a question of will and my lack of it. I'm appreciating the role of good nutrition (I suspect bone broth plays a large role) more and more.
I love reading everything you guys bring to this thread. Busy, busy days in my world at the moment. I don't make wreaths. That kind of artistic skill is beyond me. I have been doing my own version, though. We've just finished a short film that we're submitting to festivals all over. Here's a tiny clip for anyone who likes shorts:
http://https://vimeo.com/64005625

Happy day, all.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
This is what I made:

This is so pretty!! I've never seen succulents look so beautiful. WOW!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristen, the link didn't work for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to see you Jen! 25 lbs is amazing for this time period! My losses were much slower, although, I have suffered health issues during JUDDD that undoubtedly, had an effect on weight loss. One thing that helped me so much about PHD, is that I discovered that I can fast in other methods besides ADF and still have the benefits which I love. I am doing the 5:2 with 16 hour fasting and it seems to be so simple and gentle. I almost feel a bit guilty. I also love that my blood tests were amazing even with my thyroid problem hanging overhead, so that tells me that my diet may actually have been working behind the scenes at cleaning up where my thyroid/metabolism couldn't.

Kristin, I couldn't get that link to work? Is this on your FB page? I will check there. I am in awe of your talent!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

It's on a FB page called Kristin Shepherd Productions.
Don't be in awe of someone who can't yet create a link, let alone a wreath.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay Kristin, found you! I must say, I was intrigued and wanted to see more....where can I see more?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Blonde, we can't post the full thing on the net until the big festivals either reject us or accept us and are over. They demand a kind of exclusivity deal. I'll let you know where you can see it on the net in September.
SOOO much fun. Thanks for watching.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome. Oh, Bev, I forgot to mention above - that wreath of GORGEOUS!!! I have no eye for design, colors, etc. Very methodical, science driven, not artsy at all. I can reproduce something I see, no problem, but coming up with the idea on my own? No way. That's why I watch HGTV a lot!
Anywho - I'm down to a new low today - 173.1. I had hit 173.5 on 4/20 then bounced up to 176.4. That's when I decided to do potatoes and rice again. My poor intestines were so bloated and swollen I've been pottying like mad so I know I'm losing inflammation and water and I'm pleased to see the scale reflect the reducing inflammation. I almost caved & went out to dinner last night but we ended up not being able to go and I'm so glad I went home and had a bowl of rice congee instead.
I think its important to consider health in the quest for thin. And to sacrifice some thin for health, like Kristen said. I know there are people who do the veggie or vegan or some other super restrictive things and they just don't look healthy, I think. My sister is one of them. She's super thin but her face is a wreck, and she has cellulite all over her legs, not a lot of tone and she just looks kinda sickly. She's 8 years younger than me but everyone always thinks she's the older sister. She's active and outside and a former gymnast, super fit and does yoga all the time but her diet is super restrictive and I think despite her thinking she's eating healthy, she's missing key nutrients. Our youngest sister, also very fit & thin, has a healthier diet (probably very PHD like) and she is gorgeous. Younger, yes, but glowing skin, good muscle tone, etc. And, while I still have a lot of weight to lose, I think I'm "healthier" overall, than the middle of us.
Strange, I think. It gives me new goals to shoot for.
Healthy first, thin second. Although I'm shooting for healthy thin!!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am in LOVE with the wreath! I have always wanted to try and do this. Although, I may have to opt for making one with faux succulents. The OK weather is not to be trusted.
Thank you. Succulents are pretty darn forgiving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Hi gals,
Popped over from a potato thread & spent some time catching up.
Bev - I'm sorry for your dental & eye issues. My mom has many eye issues too, but she swears the vitamins help. The wreath is beautiful!!
JUDDD has been good to be, basically 25# gone since Jan 1. But I feel like the losses inspire a healthier way. At first I loved it because I could eat cake & lose (and I did). Now, well, I don't know if it was my first potato hack or the fact that I had a horrible bout of GI disease I'm sti not recovered from but I'm craving goodness. I'm finishing day 3 of another potato hack but added some steamed asparagus last night too. This morning was the first day in weeks I woke up NOT feeling bloated, gassy & with an urgent need to run to the toilet. Apologies for the TMI but I wonder if the bland is helping me heal.
I don't just want to be skinny, I want to be healthy.
I think I can do a PHD lifestyle since it isn't asking me to give up meat. We raise pur own, and I won't give it up. Too yummy!
We are working on getting our garden started. My goal this summer is to learn to can so we have freshness in the winter too. Fresh being relative.
It's nice to have found where some if you ventured off to.
Jen
Thanks. Also, I am glad to hear that vitamins have helped your mom. Nutrition will be my only hope I guess. I used to just care about being thin. Obviously with the diets I have been on in my life, my health was not a consideration. Now that I have problems it is on the top of my list- health, that is. How cool you raise your own meat. Now that's the way to go. Learning to can is a great thing to do. What will you be growing in your garden?

Quote:
Jen,I understand what you're saying about wanting to be lean and healthy. I got happily skinny on juddd but my body and head felt stressed.
Then I stopped rotations, added potatoes and broth, and got chunkier but healthy. (So healthy, by the way, that my body appears to have shifted backwards OUT of menopause! Bizarre!)
Anyway, for some reason I now feel healthy enough, or filled enough, or something, to be less desperate around food/eating/weight. I'm eating in response to hunger more often, and find myself less concerned with food when I'm not eating.
I used to think this was all a question of will and my lack of it. I'm appreciating the role of good nutrition (I suspect bone broth plays a large role) more and more.
I love reading everything you guys bring to this thread. Busy, busy days in my world at the moment. I don't make wreaths. That kind of artistic skill is beyond me. I have been doing my own version, though. We've just finished a short film that we're submitting to festivals all over. Here's a tiny clip for anyone who likes shorts:
http://https://vimeo.com/64005625

Happy day, all.
You are still close to your goal weight aren't you? Just eating in response to hunger is a wonderful thing. I would love to be at that point. I truly believe cravings are a result of our body reaching out for something it actually needs. Like the whole magnesium and chocolate connection. Now that I think I am satisfied with magnesium, I don't get chocolate cravings any longer. Hmmmm...
I watched your film clip and am very intrigued. I want more!!! LOL You are indeed a very creative person. I love the process of making a film. My darling GS just acted in an independent film and the teaser is out. I will post it here since you like filmmaking and see what you think. I am excited for him and excited for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
This is so pretty!! I've never seen succulents look so beautiful. WOW!
Thank you. You should take a class there!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Oh, Bev, I forgot to mention above - that wreath of GORGEOUS!!! I have no eye for design, colors, etc. Very methodical, science driven, not artsy at all. I can reproduce something I see, no problem, but coming up with the idea on my own? No way. That's why I watch HGTV a lot!
Anywho - I'm down to a new low today - 173.1. I had hit 173.5 on 4/20 then bounced up to 176.4. That's when I decided to do potatoes and rice again. My poor intestines were so bloated and swollen I've been pottying like mad so I know I'm losing inflammation and water and I'm pleased to see the scale reflect the reducing inflammation. I almost caved & went out to dinner last night but we ended up not being able to go and I'm so glad I went home and had a bowl of rice congee instead.
I think its important to consider health in the quest for thin. And to sacrifice some thin for health, like Kristen said. I know there are people who do the veggie or vegan or some other super restrictive things and they just don't look healthy, I think. My sister is one of them. She's super thin but her face is a wreck, and she has cellulite all over her legs, not a lot of tone and she just looks kinda sickly. She's 8 years younger than me but everyone always thinks she's the older sister. She's active and outside and a former gymnast, super fit and does yoga all the time but her diet is super restrictive and I think despite her thinking she's eating healthy, she's missing key nutrients. Our youngest sister, also very fit & thin, has a healthier diet (probably very PHD like) and she is gorgeous. Younger, yes, but glowing skin, good muscle tone, etc. And, while I still have a lot of weight to lose, I think I'm "healthier" overall, than the middle of us.
Strange, I think. It gives me new goals to shoot for.
Healthy first, thin second. Although I'm shooting for healthy thin!!
I watch HGTV a lot too!! That is very interesting about your sister. ( I hope she doesn't read this page). PHD just clicked with me all of a sudden about the missing nutrients. I really agree with what you are saying. I like your goal of healthy first, thin second. That is kind of the position I have been forced into myself as I cannot get thin without healing first, but it is a really good goal. Congrats on your new low. That is .
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristin, What a teaser! Now, I am going to be chomping at the bit to watch the whole film. I wish you could see my smile.

Jen, That's what I am talking about! Yay on the new low! Won't it be spectacular if you can just starch your way to goal? I can hear it now. How on earth did you get the weight off? Oh, just taters and rice.

Just a tip to all, don't try adding rhubarb and cilantro to your green smoothie. That is all.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH, oh, almost forgot! I am in LOVE with your pup, Kristin! Great add!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

No, my sister does not read this page. I felt really bad while I was typing it but it has actually been a real wake up call for me. She was always the athletic, fit, "healthy" one because she was thin & a gymnast, and I was always the chubby/fat, unhealthy schmuck. She is still super picky about what she eats, makes seemingly "healthy" choices but I don't think her body is happy with them. She was just in California with us and it really hit home how just, well, sickly she looks.
There have been a lot of points over the years that I can point back to and realize they were important milestones in changing my way of thinking. I grew up thinking & being told that thin = healthy. My family would always react with the utmost surprise when someone they knew would have a medical problem or crisis (cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc) and would always say, "How can Suzie be sick? She's so thin!" <-- Obviously only if Suzie actually was thin. It finally occurred to me that we'd been believing that thin = healthy; not thin = unhealthy as if this were a concrete fact, the same way we know that 2+2=4. I know know, and feel to be true, that this is not always the case. It is possible to be stick thin but unhealthy; it is possible to carry some extra pounds and have fully functioning & happy organs.
Part of being on this particular journey and on the boards has allowed me the opportunity to explore my views and feelings about my own weight and lifestyle, and how I view others who struggle with their weight, or even those who are overweight and are okay with it. My family's toxic view on weight had invaded my subconscious. While I'm not proud to say it, I would think unkind thoughts while at the same time, I'm walking around carrying an extra 70-90 pounds (depending on the point in my life). Part of this weight loss journey and travel to better health has been to actively evict the unkind thoughts and replace them with only kindness and understanding, even though its just in my head. Its a mental, spiritual and physical trek to being a better, healthier person.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Beverly, that wreath is stunning! Succulents tend to root from any piece that breaks off. You might end up with a major, circular succulent garden!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, that's Rosie, my dog. She considers herself an actor now.

Jen, I was vegan for three years a little while back and although it gave me tremendous ethical peace, my body got fatter and fatter and and less happy in almost every way. Meat feels good in my body. (So do potatoes. )

In my family, there is a comical split in attitudes. On my Dad's side, thin = successful, in control, wealthy. On my Mum's side, thin = dangerously-unwell-and-morally-corrupt.

No wonder I've been so crazy about it all my life!
Happy day everyone.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rosie is an actor!

I have always thought vegans do not have the glow that most omnivore folks have, but I have only known a few and one close friend, yes she was not healthy.

I do understand now why Dr. J put the nuts in the "pleasure" leaf portion of the apple and advised to use sparingly. I seem to overdo in this area and have decided to not keep any nuts out, but freeze them so that I have to work to get them.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie~ I'm so grateful to be able to explore my own ideas and thoughts with like-minded, open-minded people here. It's a revelation to know that we are not weird, or wrong, or uninformed, we just have opinions that maybe do not go hand-in-hand with the people that raised us....it's amazes me constantly how so many of us have been indoctrinated as children, into the 'food and fat' opinions of our elders.....which were not necessarily right or even true.

Kristin~ I too went down the vegan path in my forties only to find after two years of absolute compliance I was fatter, miserable and I lost my gallbladder. The only happy part about me was the 'ethical' part. I also found that around the 1 year 6 month mark, I started having intense cravings for fish...weird? And yes, me too...fat or thin equaled different things depending on whom you to about it.

Sunday~ your little squirrel cartoon made me laugh out loud!! Thank you!

Nancy, HI!!!
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
. My family's toxic view on weight had invaded my subconscious.
I completely and totally relate to that. My mom had a fat phobia. She was 5'2" and always under 100 pounds. She took me to TOPS starting my dieting ordeal at 10 years old and dragged me to the store for a girdle when I was just a kid. She monitored my school lunches- I was allowed a half of a sandwich on Wonderbread with a slice of Velvetta cheese and an apple. Clearly health was not a issue, being thin was everything. I know I have disappointed her greatly that I only got worse through the years. My brother told me he was embarrassed to be seen around me because I was overweight. Mind you, I did not have this degree of problem at that time, I was about 25 pounds overweight! My siblings were all slender then. My brother now struggles with his weight and has Lupus. My mom still keeps her weight pretty low. I have this mind set that fat is ugly and shameful and a death sentence. I have worked for years to make peace with myself and let that mantra go, but when it comes from your mom, and your family, at a tender young age, it hard to eradicate those voices from your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Beverly, that wreath is stunning! Succulents tend to root from any piece that breaks off. You might end up with a major, circular succulent garden!
Thank you. Yes they do and that is why I love succulents. From a few pieces a few years ago, I have succulents all over my yard now. All different kinds. Friends bring cuttings of interesting ones for me to pop in the ground. The class showed how to keep the wreath trimmed. You pull the piece out from the root, save the roots and pop them into the ground and put the trimmed piece back in the wreath. How are you doing Nancy?

Quote:
Sunday, that's Rosie, my dog. She considers herself an actor now.

Jen, I was vegan for three years a little while back and although it gave me tremendous ethical peace, my body got fatter and fatter and and less happy in almost every way. Meat feels good in my body. (So do potatoes. )

In my family, there is a comical split in attitudes. On my Dad's side, thin = successful, in control, wealthy. On my Mum's side, thin = dangerously-unwell-and-morally-corrupt.

No wonder I've been so crazy about it all my life!
Happy day everyone.
Wow- the family concepts are so interesting!! You look great in your photos- both slender and healthy! I love that house you filmed in. Very nice.

Quote:
Rosie is an actor!

I have always thought vegans do not have the glow that most omnivore folks have, but I have only known a few and one close friend, yes she was not healthy.

I do understand now why Dr. J put the nuts in the "pleasure" leaf portion of the apple and advised to use sparingly. I seem to overdo in this area and have decided to not keep any nuts out, but freeze them so that I have to work to get them.
That was the conclusion I came to as well. I was way overdoing the whole almond thing from almond milk and flour and just almonds. I overdo with nuts as well- especially macadamia nuts. Good idea to freeze them to have to work at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Yennie~ I'm so grateful to be able to explore my own ideas and thoughts with like-minded, open-minded people here. It's a revelation to know that we are not weird, or wrong, or uninformed, we just have opinions that maybe do not go hand-in-hand with the people that raised us....it's amazes me constantly how so many of us have been indoctrinated as children, into the 'food and fat' opinions of our elders.....which were not necessarily right or even true.

Kristin~ I too went down the vegan path in my forties only to find after two years of absolute compliance I was fatter, miserable and I lost my gallbladder. The only happy part about me was the 'ethical' part. I also found that around the 1 year 6 month mark, I started having intense cravings for fish...weird? And yes, me too...fat or thin equaled different things depending on whom you to about it.

Interesting input about going down the vegan path. I have heard that from several people now. BFF and her hubbie are going the China Study route. She is not excited to do this at all, but he is adamant about the power of this study. I read lots of opposing views on it, but each has to go their own path.

Cici- how are you doing? Are you feeling better?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev~ how awful for you. This not the first story I've heard like this. I started my first diet at 8...I can't remember why I thought I was fat. I had two older brothers, maybe they teased me. I do remember feeling like I needed to be 'different' from a very young age. You said your brother now struggles with weight issues, have you ever talked to him about the way he made you feel? Man, words are so powerful, they can make or break a child.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Wow, I have to jump in again - my mom freaked when I turned 10 as well. She actually found a doctor to prescribe diet pills for me. Seriously, age 10. Why didn't this work? She was a single working mom. I never saw her except in the morning and right before bed during the week (she worked all day and had a long commute) plus she worked on Saturday). Same here - this was only a matter of maybe 20-30 pounds.

Here was a typical day:

breakfast: cocoa puffs

lunch: baloni and american cheese sandwich with mayonaise on wonder bread

dinner: a can of ravioli with skim milk

No fruit. No vegetables. No fresh meat. No fresh food of ANY kind. All processed food. And this was all my fault.

There were never potato chips, cookies, or soda in the house, so she could not understand. I was obese even in my toddler pictures. I never had a chance.

She was thin and beautiful (I don't mean this lightly - she was hot like Jennifer Lopez and always had rich boyfriends when she was young) and could not bear that I wasn't. She constantly humiliated me. She was bi-polar, so her methods to torture me over this were unusually horrible. She didn't know she only made it worse.

She is gone; she never saw me lose the weight, which makes me sad.

It is very sad the effect of the processed food industry on our health, especially to those of us that have diabetes. I have it on both sides of the family.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-26-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I am really saddened each time this topic of early misguided food/diet/body image childhood programming comes up. It seems to be nearly universal amoung those of us who have lifetime struggles with weight. I hope we each find a way to make peace with our bodies and our pasts and the strength to find good health in spite of it all. Perhaps in the long run, all this focus on trying to find health will yield a better old age than if we never had to think about it.

I am pretty confused again. Seems I keep coming back to PHD. ETL was not agreeing with me, but as mentioned before, it may have only been bad nuts. Basically, I have been good with the veggies until late afternoon, then just need.....something. Today I just had a grapefruit for brekkie and taters,BB,kraut the rest of the day. Easy on the tummy. I was a little worried about the repeated need for pepto. Not usually a medicine taker. Don't want to get in the habit.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Keytones: (My food selection in bold)breakfast: cocoa puffs (rice krispies and evaporated milk + water)

lunch: baloni and american cheese sandwich with mayonaise (Miracle Whip)on wonder bread

dinner: a can of ravioli (spaghetti O's, sans milk or Campbells Soup)
Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I just wonder if you might need some fat with your veggies? I know ETL is a lowfat plan, but when you think about it, the only veggies that have fat are avocado, olives, and coconut. If you don't add these veggies then you may be lacking? What about nuts?

Blonde & KeyTones,

My childhood daily meal -

Breakfast - Cinnamon Toast, Malto-Meal or Applejacks
Lunch - PB & J, Lays Potato Chips, & Banana
Dinner - Swansons Chicken Pot Pie or Spaghetti
We thought it was the best treat in the whole world if we were able to go to MacDonalds or Pizza Hut on Friday night.

Last edited by sunday; 04-26-2013 at 05:57 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My mom didn't cook much or cook well unfortunately. In fact, we rarely had a home cooked dinners when we were young and most of my childhood friend's parents loved when I visited because I ate every single thing on my plate. Both mom & dad were professionals and we were latchkey kids. I remember that when I finally received my driver's license, I was always able to keep my younger brothers in line, by telling them I would bring them something home from Schlotzkey's or KFC. I still feel a bit guilty about this, but we literally never ate unless I picked something up. I think until I was able to drive that we may have been so thin from only eating cereal, peanut butter and bananas or nothing. I recall at times when the only thing in the cupboard were poptarts and cereal. Not because my parents couldn't afford groceries, but because neither were ever able to find time to, so we ran out.

I remember to this day the first time that I ever had steamed cauliflower as it was at my best friend's house for dinner. I was so thrilled and even asked for seconds. Her mom was so happy but bewildered.

Last edited by sunday; 04-26-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, My grandmother would try to coax me to have Milnot w/ water on my cereal/oatmeal when I would go visit. I was very young and asked my mom not to ever take me to grandmother's without bringing milk also.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Kinda same story here - toast or cereal for breakfast, school lunch for lunch and then dinner. My mom did cook, but not well and so dinner was usually broiled (way overdone) chicken, some potato and a veggie. Rarely dessert. We didn't have treats in the house but neither was the food particularly nutritious. I never learned treats in moderation so when I did have the chance to get my hands on chips, etc I went CRAZY! Like, selling my pre-paid school lunches to friends for their cash then blowing it at the student store on chips, cookies and licorice.
There was always a contradiction at meal time - "Don't get fat" but then "You need to clean your plate" - 2 concepts not always compatible.
I don't remember how heavy I was in jr high and high school but I was never "the fat kid" - probably wore a size 5-7 jeans. I had/have curves and probably could have lost 10-15 pounds but I was never fat. Except to my mom.
I know exactly how big my waist was, however. At the end of my freshman year of HS, it was 28". Why do I remember this? I had just made the varsity cheer squad and we were all being measured for our uniforms. I wasn't good friends (although was friendly) with the other girls on the squad so I was a little uncomfortable in the situation anyway. I don't recall why my mom was there but the seamstress was taking measurements and calling them out to her assistant to write down. She measures my waist at 28" and my mom says (in front of everyone - loud) "You better measure that again and, Jennifer, you better not be sucking it in to make everyone think you're skinny because I am not buying you another skirt when this one doesn't fit!"
Gee, ma, wonder why I have a complex?
This makes her sound horrible and, overall, she's a great mother and person. But her & my gramma have never had to put forth any effort to stay thin...same song, second verse...we've all heard this one before.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Wow, yes, how sad it is to look at the "food" we had to grow up on. What kind of building blocks are these. Yeesh.

The question isn't how this caused obesity. It is a miracle, is seems, that somehow some people eating these franken foods do not end up obese.

I wonder how life might have turned out for me, sometimes, if I had grown up on real food. Have you guys seen the article on Mark's Daily Apple called the Modern Assault on Eyesight? I have unusually horrible vision as well.

Well, all we can do is do the best we can with the information we have now.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote