Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Blonde, I am really laughing now, I meant to say that I have one each of the lime, peach, apricot, & nectarine.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sunday, back when I grew blueberry bushes, it took two - preferable different kinds - to tango. Apparently blueberries are willing to give it a try on their own but it takes cross-pollination to get a good crop of berries. Oh, and it also takes a couple of years for them to mature enough to really get down.

That was another house, another location. I grew rosemary, sage, coriander, parsley, a zillion different kinds of basil, borage (the flowers are gorgeous), lavender... golly the list goes on and on and includes dozens of roses and orchids. That was lot of years ago but I think the experience kind of burned me out for gardening. My friends tended to run in terror screaming "No more! No more!" when they saw me coming with a box or bag.

This year I plan to start a few herbs in pots.

Beverly, hugs. Just lots and lots of hugs!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nancy, Very interesting about the blueberry bushes. I am going today to purchase a couple of more and would love to be able to harvest a good bushel!

I am officially addicted to the green smoothie. I am off today to plant all of the good veggies that I can incorporate into this daily pleasure. I hope to do well because I used to have great pepper and tomato crops, but all else never did too well. My green thumb hasn't been all that prosperous in the past.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw this on my Healthy Gardening blog that I follow on facebook and thought that I would share for all of my Cuke PHD lovers. It is an excellent idea and it will help me watch over my aragula & butter lettuce. The cukes grow up the chicken wire and shade the leafy greens below. Hope it works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cukes.jpg (41.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
My green thumb hasn't been all that prosperous in the past.
My Dh, whom I call the "Farmer Dude"...swears by fish emulsion.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
I saw this on my Healthy Gardening blog that I follow on facebook and thought that I would share for all of my Cuke PHD lovers. It is an excellent idea and it will help me watch over my aragula & butter lettuce. The cukes grow up the chicken wire and shade the leafy greens below. Hope it works!
A good idea. I am wondering if I can use this idea on the balcony this summer. The complex cut down our tree so will get afternoon sun.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
A good idea. I am wondering if I can use this idea on the balcony this summer. The complex cut down our tree so will get afternoon sun.
Yes, I believe it will work! I absolutely love this idea and will try it as well! Just pick up one pallet (any gardening, home/farm supply) and use it for the soil container. If I am successful, I am going to try and teach my dear friend how to garden on her back patio.

Many good ideas for gardening on a small patio or balcony here...

Gardening Without a Garden: 10 Ideas for Your Patio or Balcony Renters Solutions | Apartment Therapy

The shoe organizer is another fab idea because you can pick these up at the Dollar Store for pretty reasonable. I may do this for my herbs and will let you know if I succeed!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 04-20-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, I believe it will work! I absolutely love this idea and will try it as well! Just pick up one pallet (any gardening, home/farm supply) and use it for the soil container. If I am successful, I am going to try and teach my dear friend how to garden on her back patio.

Many good ideas for gardening on a small patio or balcony here...

Gardening Without a Garden: 10 Ideas for Your Patio or Balcony Renters Solutions | Apartment Therapy

The shoe organizer is another fab idea because you can pick these up at the Dollar Store for pretty reasonable. I may do this for my herbs and will let you know if I succeed!
I already have a shoe organizer and can't wait to put it to work. Thanks for the website. Fabulous ideas! Some people are so smart!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, Fish emulsion is wonderful and so are calcium tabs for your tomatoes/peppers. I am very interested in trying organic gardening with pesticide free fertilizer and insecticide. So, I discovered these ideas on Garden Web, which I love.

thought I would share...
Quote:
With that being said, many times it is difficult to find good organic or natural fertilizers and soil amendments from garden stores because most of the garden people that we meet are non-organic users. Therefore as an organic gardener, we have to be creative in order to find our supplies.

This is a simple list of sources for uses in foliar teas, composting and green manure techniques, and other soil amendments:

1. Deer plot mixes or cheap bird seed bags - 50 lb bag is a great source of economical cool season cover crop seeds. Most contain a mixture of legumes and grasses like crimson clover or hairy vetch or winter peas, oats, winter wheat, and rye. Most bird seeds contain sunflowers or millet or other types of non-legume seeds that can be planted as excellent cheap cover crop seeds. Bird seeds make great composting ingredients too for extra protein-nitrogen to speed up compost decomposition.

2. Catfish or pond fish feed - Excellent source of alfalfa meal and fish meal for topdressing or compost teas. Like cat and dog foods, some people may not consider it a truly organic soil food source. But it does contain lots of protein and micronutrients.

3. Cat or Dog foods - Some people would not consider this a truly organic source of soil nutrients. It does contain lots of protein and micronutrients. There are some amounts of corn gluten meal in these feeds. (NOTE: Probably not enough to really do the job of weed seed suppression control in lawns or gardens.)

4. Seaweed - If you can't collect it free from the beach, you can buy economical packs of fresh seaweed from oriential markets for compost teas. (To be on the safe side, it is a good idea to always wash your seaweed first to remove any salt.) Take all your remains from your teas and recycle them into your compost piles. If you liquify the seaweed in a juice, you can use the whole product as a foliar feed or soil drench. Even though most fertilizer companies rate seaweed with a NPK of 0-0-1, it contains at least 1% total N and over 3% total P. Seaweed may contain as much as 60 trace elements. Seaweed and other algae plants are some of the greatest soil amendments on earth, or should I say in the ocean. Seaweed also contains beneficial growth hormones and benefical fungal food sources for soil microbes.

5. Fish emulsion - Commercial brands contain no fish oil and little or no aerobic bacteria. Homemade versions supply extra beneficial oils for beneficial fungi and fish bones for extra calcium. Free fresh fish parts are the best if available. However, cheap canned fish products will do fine. Experiment with canned mackerel, sardines, herring, etc. If the fishy smell is a big issue, just mix your fish products with a lot of high carbon sources like sawdust, leaves, or straw in a 5 gallon closed bucket. You can add molasses to your fishy mixture to speed up decomposition by increasing the microbial growth in the mixture. The molasses will also control the fishy odors. Let this mix decompose for at least a week or more before adding to the hot compost pile or to your compost tea recipes. The extra carbons will help absorb the offensive odors as well as keep most of the organic nitrogen in your compost pile or your compost teas. Also the aerobic bacteria kill break down any bad pathogens that may exist in decaying fish meat. Read the other FAQ's on aerated teas and homemade fish/seaweed emulsions also.

6. Fava beans, soybeans, and other legume cover crops - Mostly all bagged dry beans and peas in grocery stores will sprout and make great warm season green manures. Fava beans and soybeans can found in oriential markets or health food markets.

7. Horse and cattle feeds - These contain a great supply of alfalfa meal and corn meal and other proteins for soil amendments or compost teas. The whole corn or oat seeds in the bags, may sprout and give you an extra green manure benefit. The extra molasses ingredient from the feeds draws and breeds lots of beneficial soil organisms. Molasses also contains sulfur which acts as a mild natural fungicide also. NOTE: Check the label also for total salt content in the feeds. Most grain meals that I get are no salt (less than 0.7%).

8. Corn meal - very cheap source for a nitrogen activator for heating up the compost pile or as a topdressing. Great natural fungicide also. Corn meal is a great phosphorus source also.

9. Liquid molasses, dry molasses powder, brown sugar, corn syrup - source of fast consuming sugars for feeding and breeding the aerobic bacteria in compost teas. Most microherd populations love the high carbon content in sugar products. Sugars are best dissolved and broken down by microbes in compost tea that has brewed at least 1-3 days, before applying to the soil. If too much sugar is added on soil straight as a topdressing, it may cause a temporary nitrogen deficiency in the soil as the microherd populations grow too fast. Molasses also contains sulfur which acts as a mild natural fungicide also. Molasses is also a great natural deodorizer for fishy teas. NOTE: Recent studies have shown that unsulfured molasses or dry molasses powder is best for faster aerobic microbial growth in tea brewing. For a more fungal tea don't add too much simple sugar or molasses to your aerobic teas. Use more complex sugars, starches and carbohydrates like in seaweed, rotten fruit, soy sauce, or other fungal foods.

10. Alfalfa meal - best source is 50 lb bags of rabbit food or alfalfa hay bales. There are also 100% alfalfa pet litter or beddings if available. Alfalfa products are best used in teas, mulches, or as topdressings. Alfalfa is an excellent natural complete fertilizer, containing great amounts of N, P, and K, and many growth hormones and micronutrients.

11. Blood and Bone meal - this classic combo can be found almost everywhere these days. However blood meal is very expensive. Bone meal can be even cheaper if purchased in 20 lb bags from feed stores. Since blood meal is totally soluble, it can be added to compost tea recipes.. With a NPK around 11-0-0, it has the highest total nitrogen ratio of all natural fertilizers, and may burn plants if used improperly. Steamed bone meal has a recorded NPK around 0-11-0. Usually steamed bone meal has a total N from 1-6%, 11% soluble P but 20% total P, and 24% calcium. Raw bone meal has more total N but none of the P is water soluble.

12. Urine or Urea - yes, human urine is an excellent source of organic nitrogen for compost teas or as a free nitrogen activator for composting (45% N). (NOTE: Unlike human manure, any pathogens, diseases, or other mild toxins in human urine are quickly killed and digested within 24 hours after they escape the human body. Therefore human urine is very safe for all types of composting methods.)

13. Animal Manures - High in N and great sources of P and K and soil microbes. Use only vegetarian animal manures, like cattle or horses, in order to be on the safe or conservative side for all your gardening uses! Chickens are not vegetarians. However chicken manure is a safe, classic, high nitrogen, highly alkaline farm animal manure. Chicken manure is ok, mainly because the foods that chickens consume are easily broken down by normal gardening composting systems. DO NOT EVER USE ANY PET MANURES OR DOG OR CAT POOP! It is extremely dangerous to humans. There are special hot composting procedures that must be performed to use toxic, pathogen or disease prone, heavy metal manures like pet poop and human manures. So don't do it! Always compost animal manures first or use aged animal manures before applying to the soil or as an ingredient in foliar teas.

14. Grass Clippings and Green Weeds - Excellent sources or organic N for special foliar teas or use as an organic mulch/top dressing. Some gardeners even hot compost strange weeds and herbs like kudzu, bull thistle, dandelions, comfrey, stinging nettle, thorns, ivy, etc.

15. Wood Ashes - Wood ashes, not charcoal ashes, are great organically recommended soil amendments. Wood ashes contain up to 70% calcium carbonate or calcium oxide (natural liming agent) and lots of potassium. If you have native acidic soil, a little sprinkled wood ashes are perfect for your lawn or garden as a soil amendment or liming agent. However, if your native soil is highly alkaline, never put wood ashes straight on your soil! Wood ashes is absolutely safe in a hot compost pile. A hot compost pile always buffers the pH of its ingredient organic matter materials so that the mature compost has a near neutral pH. The main disadvantage of composting wood ashes is that the high alkaline ashes will chemically react with high nitrogen products in the pile like animal manures or grass clippings, thus creating excessive ammonia gases that will be wasted and evaporated out of the pile. Therefore if you compost wood ashes, only use a few cups of ashes per cubic yard of compost piles.

The above soil amendment products can also be buried straight in the garden soil for trench composting. You can also bury these materials in planting holes under the roots of heavy feeder transplants like tomatoes for extra NPK for plant growth. You can poke holes in the soil around crop roots with your spade fork, to get more oxygen in the soil to further increase organic matter decomposition and increase microbial activity in the soil.

All natural soil amendments as well as homemade compost, do more than just fertilize the soil and growing plants. Most natural soil amendments have a total NPK rating sum total less than 20 (i.e. fish emulsion NPK = 5-1-1, compost NPK less than 4-4-4). Don't be fooled by the numbers. Most P and K ratings only record the soluble available portions in the products. The N portion recorded could be either the soluble, insoluble, or total N portions as based on the company. The insoluble non-reported portion of OM is continuously consumed and broken down with the existing OM in the garden soil, thus raising the available soluble nutrients for further season crops.

Happy Gardening!

Last edited by sunday; 04-20-2013 at 09:37 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I love the Apartment Therapy website because it has so many awesome organizing ideas. My alternate home is quite small with very little closet space, so I found the ideas worth trying and great help.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went to pick up my RX for my thyroid and the compounding pharmacist who works there & is partial owner, enjoys visiting and always spends time talking to me. He had just been to a conference for wellness and I asked what the latest health news happened to be. He said one of the best talks was on Magnesium and the symptoms of low mag. I told him that I use to take it every night before bed, but had fallen out of the habit and he said that I should definitely go back to taking Magnesium Glycinate. He said 2 of the 600 mg and let him know if I felt the difference. I bought it while there and began with one before bed and then another about 10 am each morning. I am very glad to say that I sleep better, but the most important thing is that I feel much less overwhelmed. Jaminet only recommends 200 mg of glycinate, so I am curious if that is because he feels like we get optimal mag in our foods? I will continue to take 2 unless, I begin to feel unwell.

Some of the probs associated with low mag...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag.jpg (79.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thanks for all the wise words and support everyone. It really helps you get through the day.

All this gardening talk is fun. I feel like such a pioneer woman with my bone broth, fermented foods, making things from scratch and trying to produce food. I love my herb garden. I have lemon thyme, sage, basil, cilantro ( I go through tons of that), dill, tarragon, lavender, and marjoram. I enjoy making my flavor bombs with them ( letting the herbs take a bath in red wine and olive oil, blending all that up, and freezing into cubes). They are so good in my bone broth.

I am trying my hand at tomatoes that I got from the botanical garden. I got about 6 plants, so if they really grow and produce I will be swimming in a pool of tomato sauce! Usually the bunnies or snails get them before I get any tomatoes. I try try again. I am using different techniques I read to put a stop to the bunnies and snails. I also have saved my eggshells and ground them up for my tomatoes.

I saw the shoe holder plantar on Pinterest and thought it was a very clever idea!

The end of my meyer lemon production may be near. Looking at the photo, maybe not as I am seeing some blossoms. I love meyer lemons soooooo much. I freeze the zest and the juice into cubes and I will have meyer lemon lemonade this summer. I live lavender lemonade. My lime tree also looks like it is going to produce this year. It took a two year vacation.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I went to pick up my RX for my thyroid and the compounding pharmacist who works there & is partial owner, enjoys visiting and always spends time talking to me. He had just been to a conference for wellness and I asked what the latest health news happened to be. He said one of the best talks was on Magnesium and the symptoms of low mag. I told him that I use to take it every night before bed, but had fallen out of the habit and he said that I should definitely go back to taking Magnesium Glycinate. He said 2 of the 600 mg and let him know if I felt the difference. I bought it while there and began with one before bed and then another about 10 am each morning. I am very glad to say that I sleep better, but the most important thing is that I feel much less overwhelmed. Jaminet only recommends 200 mg of glycinate, so I am curious if that is because he feels like we get optimal mag in our foods? I will continue to take 2 unless, I begin to feel unwell.
Magnesium is one of the many supplements I take daily. I really had a lot of the symptoms of low magnesium (as well as other minerals). I sleep more soundly with it. My girlfriend was having insomnia and constipation and I suggested the magnesium and it fixed both issues for her. Sunday, what brand are you taking? Maybe Jaminet does feel we get enough via perfect foods, but I am still going to continue to take it any way. Thx for the info
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I was having quite a bit of anxiety with all of the stuff going on with my job and health. I know this sounds strange that Mag Glycinate would have helped in this area, but it did! Another thing, I was having sleep disturbances with what I think is related to sleep apnea. It almost felt like I would stop breathing or not be able to catch my breath. It has seemed to leave me as well. I think I may have inherited this from my dad's side of the family.

I love your lemon tree! OH, I am so excited that you planted tomatoes! They love the eggshells/calcium & love lots of sun too! I have cilantro and sage. I would like to add mint and rosemary. I had a rosemary tree that someone gave me for Christmas and it was so lovely to add to my roasted taters, then it died.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Missing everybody. Busy in your gardens?
Hope you are alright.

My sauerkraut is in the fridge and tres tasty.

Otherwise struggling a bit with ETL and fakl back to PHD when it gets too tough. Fuhrman warns about the symptms passing after about 4 days but I didn't make it that far so need to muscle through again.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
"1. Deer plot mixes or cheap bird seed bags - 50 lb bag is a great source of economical cool season cover crop seeds. Most contain a mixture of legumes and grasses like crimson clover or hairy vetch or winter peas, oats, winter wheat, and rye. Most bird seeds contain sunflowers or millet or other types of non-legume seeds that can be planted as excellent cheap cover crop seeds. Bird seeds make great composting ingredients too for extra protein-nitrogen to speed up compost decomposition."

Back in my youth, I planted a bag of mixed seeds for birds. Just to see what would happen. Lovely flowers and strange plants flourished. Up until a friend came for lunch, visited the garden, and explained that the tall, shaggy plants were going to get me thrown in jail. Needless to say, the garden was dismantled that afternoon.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, boy, that is hysterical Nancy!

Sorry to be so absent, but my life is keeping me tied up at the moment. I promise to come back through later and post!

Last edited by sunday; 04-23-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Funny story, Nancy.

Best wishes, Sunday.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Hello lovely friends!

Haven't had much to report lately since I've stopped complaining.

Seriously I'm feeling much better physically and I'm going to work today. My breathing is good, my energy level is better and now all I have to do is get my eating under control. No WW counting in a while. I do feel more like my old self and for that I'm grateful.

I'm attempting a fruit and veggie day today...may or may not get there but I'm going to try.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Humpday Phd'ers,

I am at the end of my time at the University and trying to hire someone to take my place, so I am really battling time issues right now. Doesn't mean that I am failing my PHD plan, au contraire, I am perfecting it every.single.day and PHD today!

Wanted to post something that I learned from a FB group on health that I have been a participant to, that is so good for all friends to know whether they are PHD, Paleo, or NK, etc...

Search the words below for full details...

Juice powder shows antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits for obese women

Capsules containing a blend of fruit, berry, and vegetable juice powder may decrease markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in obese women, says a new study from Austria.

British Study can be found here...
Cambridge Journals Online - Abstract

One reason that I post this, is because we can't always have ample fresh veggies and fruit ready for our healthy smoothie or daily plant foods. So, I purchased the Jarrow version of this Amazing Grass Green SuperFood back about a month ago and have been adding it to my green smoothie. I pack as much kale, spinach, berries, and ginger to my smoothie as I have on hand, but after reading the article realize that this supplement could be the magic tool to my hunger being absent as well. I feel really good!

Last edited by sunday; 04-24-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wonderful to hear from you Blonde! And thrilled that you are on the upswing with your asthma.

I think the veggie/fruit day could be the secret weapon to our health! Here is to a super successful, healthy day!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't ever worry about complaining to the PHD pals either! Many of us have hit the mid-age time of our lives and thus complaining here helps to get it all out, so we can be whine-free at home. Or not.

Last edited by sunday; 04-24-2013 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Happy Humpday Phd'ers,

I am at the end of my time at the University and trying to hire someone to take my place, so I am really battling time issues right now. Doesn't mean that I am failing my PHD plan, au contraire, I am perfecting it every.single.day and PHD today!

Wanted to post something that I learned from a FB group on health that I have been a participant to, that is so good for all friends to know whether they are PHD, Paleo, or NK, etc...

Juice powder shows antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits for obese women

Capsules containing a blend of fruit, berry, and vegetable juice powder may decrease markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in obese women, says a new study from Austria.

British Study can be found here...
Cambridge Journals Online - Abstract

One reason that I post this, is because we can't always have ample fresh veggies and fruit ready for our healthy smoothie or daily plant foods. So, I purchased the Jarrow version of this Amazing Grass Green SuperFood back about a month ago and have been adding it to my green smoothie. I pack as much kale, spinach, berries, and ginger to my smoothie as I have on hand, but after reading the article realize that this supplement could be the magic tool to my hunger being absent as well. I feel really good!
Oh, I like this.

Just last night I did something a bit odd - I added frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, and frozen carrots to my usual blueberry smoothie with 1/2 a banana. I have always added frozen spinach, but not the other veg. It was pretty good. I am considering ditching the banana, but will use up what I have anyway (weight loss stall).

I desparately the need anti-inflammatory effect. I have tendonitis in the hip now.

I'll look into the powder.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Missing everybody. Busy in your gardens?
Hope you are alright.

My sauerkraut is in the fridge and tres tasty.

Otherwise struggling a bit with ETL and fakl back to PHD when it gets too tough. Fuhrman warns about the symptms passing after about 4 days but I didn't make it that far so need to muscle through again.
Sorry you are having trouble with your plan. Is this the raw thing? I am not sure what ETL is, but will look it up. So glad your sauerkraut is tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
"1. Deer plot mixes or cheap bird seed bags - 50 lb bag is a great source of economical cool season cover crop seeds. Most contain a mixture of legumes and grasses like crimson clover or hairy vetch or winter peas, oats, winter wheat, and rye. Most bird seeds contain sunflowers or millet or other types of non-legume seeds that can be planted as excellent cheap cover crop seeds. Bird seeds make great composting ingredients too for extra protein-nitrogen to speed up compost decomposition."

Back in my youth, I planted a bag of mixed seeds for birds. Just to see what would happen. Lovely flowers and strange plants flourished. Up until a friend came for lunch, visited the garden, and explained that the tall, shaggy plants were going to get me thrown in jail. Needless to say, the garden was dismantled that afternoon.

Quote:
Oh, boy, that is hysterical Nancy!

Sorry to be so absent, but my life is keeping me tied up at the moment. I promise to come back through later and post!
Hang in there Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hello lovely friends!

Haven't had much to report lately since I've stopped complaining.

Seriously I'm feeling much better physically and I'm going to work today. My breathing is good, my energy level is better and now all I have to do is get my eating under control. No WW counting in a while. I do feel more like my old self and for that I'm grateful.

I'm attempting a fruit and veggie day today...may or may not get there but I'm going to try.
So glad you are feeling better and glad to see you posting!

Quote:
Happy Humpday Phd'ers,

Are you a professor? It is very hard to get things ready for retirement. Took me a year and a half to prepare!!
Thanks for the info you cited. Will look it up.

Quote:
Wonderful to hear from you Blonde! And thrilled that you are on the upswing with your asthma.

I think the veggie/fruit day could be the secret weapon to our health! Here is to a super successful, healthy day!
Quote:
Don't ever worry about complaining to the PHD pals either! Many of us have hit the mid-age time of our lives and thus complaining here helps to get it all out, so we can be whine-free at home. Or not.
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Oh, I like this.

Just last night I did something a bit odd - I added frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, and frozen carrots to my usual blueberry smoothie with 1/2 a banana. I have always added frozen spinach, but not the other veg. It was pretty good. I am considering ditching the banana, but will use up what I have anyway (weight loss stall).

I desparately the need anti-inflammatory effect. I have tendonitis in the hip now.

I'll look into the powder.
Was the smoothie not so smooth with cauliflower and broccoli? I can't handle lumpy drinks. I prefer to cook it and eat with butter!! LOL

Feeling a bit more positive today. I decided to focus on the positive changes I have made in the past months. Previously I was of the understanding that eating almonds was good for me. So I drank almond milk, ate almonds, and ate baked goods made with almond flour. I realize now the amount I was getting- not just in calories, but I was sure out of balance with my omega's. I haven't baked anything for a long long time now and that is hard for me, but I consider it a very positive change.

I had a really fun day yesterday. A friend of mine went to the botanical gardens with me and we took a succulent wreath class. It was all day outside filling the frame with succulent clippings. Very meditative and relaxing. Then we went for lunch and I stayed as PHD as I could, even bringing my own olive oil dressing with me.

This is what I made:

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

The wreath is beautiful, Beverly. I have never seen one like it. RE Eat To Live, I was getting random stomach aches and light headedness which I at first associated with low BS. Then I got to the part in the book where Fuhrman talks about toxic hunger and withdrawal symptoms however the only thing different was a few beans instead of meat and more raw veggies and fruit than I was eating on PHD, neither of which should have produced the symptoms. However, I now think the symptoms were more likely related to the raw brazil nuts I bought last week. I had eaten about 4 of them at each meal preceding the onset of symptoms. (hooray for food logging) I am excluding them for a few day to see if the symptoms come back without them. They don't taste rancid but who knows.

So glad to hear from all of you today. I don't say much, but really miss you when you are gone.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The wreath is beautiful, Beverly. I have never seen one like it. RE Eat To Live, I was getting random stomach aches and light headedness which I at first associated with low BS. Then I got to the part in the book where Fuhrman talks about toxic hunger and withdrawal symptoms however the only thing different was a few beans instead of meat and more raw veggies and fruit than I was eating on PHD, neither of which should have produced the symptoms. However, I now think the symptoms were more likely related to the raw brazil nuts I bought last week. I had eaten about 4 of them at each meal preceding the onset of symptoms. (hooray for food logging) I am excluding them for a few day to see if the symptoms come back without them. They don't taste rancid but who knows.

So glad to hear from all of you today. I don't say much, but really miss you when you are gone.
Thanks for the compliment. I hope it lives a long time! Oh yeah, Eat To Live. Thanks. So you eat lots of raw nuts on that plan? I am so concerned about selenium overdose that I count out two each day. You said you had eaten about 4 at each meal, and I am not sure if you eat two or three meals, but if you ate 12 brazil nuts, that's a lot of selenium.

There are some reports of early signs of selenium toxicity at doses beginning at 400 mcg a day.

In a New Zealand study, the authors did warn that Brazil nuts are not uniform in their selenium content and may contain much more or much less than the estimated 50 micrograms per nut. No more than one or two Brazil nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues. Per Livestrong, three to four Brazil nuts, or a 1/2 oz. serving, contain 272 micrograms.

Just a heads up as I don't want you to OD on selenium!

I miss everyone too when the thread is empty. I know people are way busier than I am!! haha
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Love the wreath!!!!!
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
The wreath is beautiful!!!

I was pretty sick on Furman's plan, although I was gung-ho to do it.

Too many raw vegetables are hard for me to digest. I'm experimenting upping my vegetables by putting the frozen ones into the vitamix (this thing can grind concrete) smoothies. It is easier than cooking or pureeing into soups (I get tired of these quickly). Also, it doesn't take butter or salt to get them down if I go the smoothie route. I don't think these things are bad, but I use to much to get the vegetables down.

I love pureed cauliflower - that is the one thing I never tire of.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I hope it lives a long time! Oh yeah, Eat To Live. Thanks. So you eat lots of raw nuts on that plan? I am so concerned about selenium overdose that I count out two each day. You said you had eaten about 4 at each meal, and I am not sure if you eat two or three meals, but if you ate 12 brazil nuts, that's a lot of selenium.

There are some reports of early signs of selenium toxicity at doses beginning at 400 mcg a day.

In a New Zealand study, the authors did warn that Brazil nuts are not uniform in their selenium content and may contain much more or much less than the estimated 50 micrograms per nut. No more than one or two Brazil nuts should be consumed daily to avoid excessive accumulation of selenium in tissues. Per Livestrong, three to four Brazil nuts, or a 1/2 oz. serving, contain 272 micrograms.

Just a heads up as I don't want you to OD on selenium!

I miss everyone too when the thread is empty. I know people are way busier than I am!! haha
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant if I got a stomach ache on Tues. it was following a meal with 4 brazil nuts. I never eat more than 4/day. Sometimes zero.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Isn't it funny how tasty the brazil nuts are? I may have overdosed on the nuts too. My poor DH broke his crown on one of my brazil nuts last week and now has to have oral surgery to implant a new tooth and bone. I feel responsible, because I am always chiding him for not being health conscience, and he is taking baby steps toward eating healthy foods when this happened.