Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh Beverly!

I know about time's footsteps sneaking up behind you. I hear them every time I try to do something now physically beyond me, I hear them every time my mother, slipping deeper and deeper into dementia, tries to share a story or react to a situation, I hear them every time I forget something or spend long minutes searching for something I just put down a minute ago.
I know, right? It isn't easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold
I don't know how long it takes someone our age to heal, especially when the damage is at a cellular level and long established. I do know I started drinking BB daily and eating very close to PHD proportions last summer and, two weeks ago, my hair 'magically' changed from a dry, brittle, out of control kinky mess back to shiny healthy bouncy curls. That is almost a year.
I agree. And we don't know the internal good changes going on all the time because they haven't surfaced into something visible yet. Great news on the hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold
Please, please take a few minutes and write a list of the NSVs you experienced on JUDDD and PHD. Go over it several times, make it really inclusive. Then, at the end, include "Lost xx pounds!"

Post that list somewhere. Good things have happened. Good things are happening and will that will continue. We can't change time's passage. We are in process of finding ways to maximized all the minutes we have left, we really are.
Will do. I do have a list of some of the JUDDD NSV's but they have disappeared now, so I will start a new list. And I will work on shaking things up. Good advice. Thanks much for the pep talk!!

Quote:
OH! I was interrupted mid-diatribe and forgot to say, Beverly, your tooth is dragging you down right now. Health crisis seems to feed on health crisis.

I know. I am just getting over that hernia operation and - zap - abdomen swelling, pain is back, looks like I have an ovarian cyst. Dang, once again my weight is stable but my little jeans don't fit anymore (can anyone explain major bloating without weight gain?). I like my little jeans!!! I want to wear them, not just admire how nice they look.

Anyway, you are investigating which doctor and how to best handle and afford the tooth, and deep infection, repair. That is draining you and depressing you and I am so very sorry it is happening. This too shall pass. In the meantime, please consider shaking it up.
Isn't that the truth about health crisis feeding on health crisis. So sorry your pain is back and that you might have a cyst. I know how much you love your little jeans!! Do you need to have it removed?? Oh poop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Sunday, thanks for the thyroid info! I have an appt Monday for re-check of this whole asthma debacle. I, like the rest of you, am sick of my issues. The Jasmine doesn't bother my allergies, thank goodness. It's the tree pollen, particularly the Fruitless Mulberry that fill my neighborhood and front back and side my house. I do dream of a chainsaw there.

Beverly I so relate to everything you're saying, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I agree with Nancy about continuing the quest of healthy eating, regardless of xx pounds lost. It's not going to be fast as we've all discovered but I believe there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Nancy~ shake it up! I totally agree. Also, when doing JUDDD previously I had great response to my asthma issues. Even autophagy can't help a stupid woman who spent too much in a toxic environment, then got sick with a cold. I will be more careful in the future. For sure I don't bounce back like I used to.

Dawn, what a wonderful, pro-active boyfriend!
Thanks Blonde. Yes I will continue to try to eat as healthy as I can. I am not concerned about slow loss as that has been the story for me for the past 40, yes 40 years. I just need to see SOME downward promise of movement because this obesity is doing a bad bad number on me. It aggravates all of my conditions. It has to go!! Bye bye... I love that JUDDD really helped your asthma. That is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I love you guys.
I start out with the intent to respond to every beautiful comment and end up overwhelmed with nothing to say.
Man, I can identify with everybody. I loved my skinny-ness on Juddd but didn't love my eventual deterioration of skin, hair, and muscle, not to mention my inability to continue the UD-DD cycling at some point. My body-mind just said no.
I'm hoping that changes with excellent nutrition so that I can be as lean as I'd like and healthy.
If not, I'll work to accept the fact that my body wants to be chunkier than I'd prefer.
I do think each of us has a mysterious internal logic that changes with time, and although we can look for ideas from outside (I don't/can't watch tv - it makes me too desperate for external, instant solutions), the big discoveries will be our own. I keep thinking we're lucky, over time, to be listening more and more carefully to what these bods are telling us, despite the inevitable and horrid frustrations.
Acceptance of myself on this neurotic weight-discipline-health-self-care trip is the challenge of a lifetime for me.
Thanks to everybody for such honest and thoughtful conversation. I'm awed by it.
Thanks for stepping in with your pearls of wisdom Kristin. I hear you. I hope everyone is able to find acceptance -- whatever that means to them. I have come a very long way in terms of acceptance of myself over the years, but I doubt I will accept the level of poor health I have. That is because I do think I can change that and I just need to find what that key is for me. I have never expected overnight success but I do expect to see positive progress even if at a snail's pace as that is a sign that I am on the right track. I am working on acceptance of those things that come with older age- it isn't easy either, but I do better handling wrinkles, gray hair, saggy skin, some forgetfulness, cracking joints when I stand, a bit slower pace etc., than I do poor health. I won't find myself accepting of the level of obesity I have and the extremely poor health I have had. I will continue to pursue working on it until my dying day.

Now... if I could just get myself to place my order for some lamb liver... Now THAT would be an NSV for me! I am procrastinating and procrastinating on it.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-13-2013 at 03:31 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Thanks to whoever it was - Sunday? - who last mentioned perpetual BB. I had it going all last week and what a fantastic way to drink lots of it and feel great while busy.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Wow! Like Kristin, I am in awe of everyone who is here and especially all of the outstanding advice from my dear PHD'ers! I get such joy to read the words of wisdom and all of the helpfulness shared.

I feel like I have made great strides just knowing that I am doing the greater deed for my health by eliminating the deadly toxins. However, we all know that as watchful as we are, it is a given that we may ingest some toxins at some point...maybe some seed oils, sugar, & gluten in the daily unknowns that we happen to eat? I went to a wedding this weekend and I know for fact that I ate sugar, drank wine, & gluten had to be in the mix here as well. It doesn't mean that I will stop eating PHD or that I will feel defeated. I am waking up extra early in the morning so that I can do a 3 mile run/walk. I will drink lots of water and eat as clean as possible. Enjoy my fasting day with BB. Life goes on. PHD keeps me accountable. For that I am thankful.

Thankful that I can feel the NSV's that Nancy speaks of and will not ever quit trying to win the fight.

Oh, and I also realize that I may never try natto, but would love to hear from anyone who has.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 04-14-2013 at 08:35 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I do think each of us has a mysterious internal logic that changes with time, and although we can look for ideas from outside (I don't/can't watch tv - it makes me too desperate for external, instant solutions), the big discoveries will be our own. I keep thinking we're lucky, over time, to be listening more and more carefully to what these bods are telling us, despite the inevitable and horrid frustrations.
Acceptance of myself on this neurotic weight-discipline-health-self-care trip is the challenge of a lifetime for me.
From the first month - October 2011 - when I hit the famous female, post-menopause LC stall I have been aware the journey to health and weight satisfaction is all about individuals.

Advertisements don't make me want a quick fix, they just frustrate me with their 'one size fixes all' mentality. They make me want to scream, "This is not about magic fixes! Life is all about learning the difference between what makes you feel good and what you really need! So, get out there and start kissing frogs! Then be patient, teach yourself to wait to see what they turn into!'

Yeah, I will probably try kissing some natto at some point. The Japanese side of my family swears by it and they are hyper-healthy.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-15-2013 at 03:51 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #155
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
All I can say about natto is ick!!! Yuck and double ick. I have been exposed to it (DH being 100% Japanese) and I stay far away!! LOL.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good to know, Dawn. All I had to read was "similar texture to inside of okra, but hooier and smells like dirty toilet." Nice to feel free from desire about something.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

That was meant to be gooier, not hooier.

Yesterday I tested the sauerkraut after one week. It is very mildly sour. Covered and put back. The video said it takes two weeks for the lactob. to take over and get rid of undesireable bacteria. Howevr, the books say you can start enjoying it much earlier. How long do you wait for your fermentd before eating?

Last edited by cici52; 04-15-2013 at 07:38 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I liked "hooier"

Thought it was very descriptive
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
That was meant to be gooier, not hooier.

Yesterday I tested the sauerkraut after one week. It is very mildly sour. Covered and put back. The video said it takes two weeks for the lactob. to take over and get rid of undesireable bacteria. Howevr, the books say you can start enjoying it much earlier. How long do you wait for your fermentd before eating?
Cici- As you know, you get different responses from multiple sources. It appears you need to monitor the signs and also I think it depends on what you are fermenting and the room temperature etc. Sauerkraut takes a longer ferment.

Sauerkraut is a loooong ferment. While most other ferments take just 1-2 weeks, sauerkraut takes about 10-12 weeks. Why so long you ask? According to Kathleen, owner of Pickl-It, histamines are produced during weeks 2 and 3 which many people are quite sensitive too. During weeks 3-6, the vitamin C is eaten up by the lactic acid bacteria but will regenerate it by the end of 10 weeks. A longer ferment results in fewer histamines and more vitamins. You know your kraut is done when it doesn’t taste cabbagey and it shouldn’t taste too salty. - Divine Health

I haven't been fermenting kraut, but am doing daikon radish, celery, baby carrots, etc. I have been eating mine after 2 weeks for those. I learn something every time I read! I think I was allowing mine to ferment at room temperature for too long. I need to move it to the fridge for a slower ferment after awhile.

Keeping the ferment too warm for too long can result in overfermentation and a reduction in the number of good bacteria.

How do I know it’s done?

Like much of what takes place in your kitchen, lacto-fermentation is both science and art. Just as a bread dough doesn’t have a specific number of minutes on the counter to proof each time you make it, you must learn the art of looking for the signs to know when a lacto-ferment is ready.

Curing time isn’t as straightforward as you might think. There’s no magic formula giving you a set number of days due to the variations in produce and in temperatures ranges. Instead, there’s cues you should look for that take place within a number of days. So in lieu of a chart giving number of days, I’m going to tell you general guidelines of what to look for instead.

First, leave your ferments on the counter until the active bubbling stops. Depending on what you’re fermenting this can go from 3-10 days. Then you can transfer it to the fridge for it to finish lacto-fermenting.

Second, if you pull a ferment out of the fridge and taste it and it tastes too salty or not tangy or zippy enough, it’s not done. Put it back in the fridge and try again in a few weeks. The lactic acid bacteria use the salt, which affects the amount of salt you taste when you sample it. Give them more time to use it up.

Third, if your sauerkraut tastes more like cabbage and less like kraut, it isn’t ready. Once a ferment is done, the cabbage flavor won’t be there because the LABs have eaten all of the sugar and starch in the vegetables. Kraut takes 10-12 weeks to go through all four stages of fermentation. Other ferments don’t take nearly as long- most are ready by 10 days.

- Divine Health

Weston -Price says sauerkraut needs at least six months to fully mature. But they also can be eaten immediately after the initial fermentation at room temperature.

I don't think I would be waiting six months! I don't need my kraut to be that mature.

I have been eating the Bubbie's kraut, but may start my own kraut due to cost and I read this which is kind of interesting. I do NOT need more histamine in my body!!

Bubbies only ferments their sauerkraut for 2 weeks so it is not a complete ferment. People who are sensitive to histamines would have problems with eating this sauerkraut.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As PHDer's we know about fermented foods. In my search on healing my gut, I found this description of how fermented foods benefit, so thought I would share.

By Brenda Baran, a nutritional therapist

Fermented foods not only help digestion by being a potent source of probiotics, friendly microbes, but they also help digestion at every step of the way.

Digestion is a north to south process:

The Brain

In order to digest properly you need to be in the right state of mind. There are two autonomic nervous systems, the parasympathetic (rest mode), and the sympathetic (fight or flight mode). Digestion is prioritized when you are in the parasympathetic rest mode, “rest and digest”. Think of it this way, the body of a deer running away from a tiger is not going to focus its energy on digestion. So if you tend to be stressed or tend to eat rushed and on the go, chances are that you are putting a burden on your digestion. If you are not in the right state of mind, things may not get triggered that should get triggered. Some of these include the release and production of saliva, acid, and enzymes which are all necessary to thoroughly digest your food.

Even if your body does not trigger the production and release of saliva, acid, and enzymes because you are in “fight or flight” mode, fermented foods can help. Their bitter taste stimulates the production and release of saliva, they aid in stomach acidity, and they are teaming with enzymes!

The Mouth

Do you not chew your food enough? Some people take a bite, chew three times, and then gulp, they swallow their food. This puts a burden on the stomach, giving it more work to do! Chewing your food thoroughly allows for the enzyme, salivary amylase, in your saliva to start the chemical digestion process before your food reaches your stomach by breaking down starches.

Are you a gulper? I suggest you chew your food more thoroughly, but fermented foods can help digestion even if you don’t have the time to chew until your solids turn to liquids. As mentioned above the bitter taste of a fermented food leads to the production and release of saliva!

The Stomach

Some people suffer from bloating or the feeling that their food is just sitting in their stomach and not going anywhere! This may be due to hypochlorhydria, low stomach acid. Many things can lead to low stomach acid some include stress, and the over consumption of sugar, carbohydrates, or alcohol. When stomach acid is low food tends to sit in the stomach for longer than it should. The sitting food starts to ferment, putrefy, and become rancid in your stomach leading to the production of gas, bloating, and abdominal pain.

Fermented foods can help digestion at this point yet again! As mentioned above, fermented foods aid in stomach acidity. If made properly, they reach a pH of 4 which is acidic. Also, as stated before, fermented foods are teaming with enzymes which help break down harder to digest foods like fats and proteins.

The Small Intestine

As digestion works north to south the burden travels north to south. If you have issues with the above, not being relaxed, not chewing your food thoroughly or not having enough stomach acid, then you will put a burden on your small intestine. The small intestine has to do more work than it normally would to try to break down undigested foods. Eventually this burden can lead to issues with the intestinal lining. The lining can suffer and become more permeable than it should. Undigested food particles can then start to pass through and lead to a mired of issues including food sensitivities, this is called leaky gut.

Fermented foods can help with the integrity of the small intestine as the nutrients in fermented foods are more bio-available, or more easily absorbed. The microbes in fermented foods help partially digest the food for you by breaking it down. For example vitamin C in cabbage is encased in cellulose, the microbes in sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) break down cellulose making vitamin C 20x more available for absorption.

The Large Intestine and Colon

Most of your gut microbes live in you large intestine. If you have an imbalance in your gut organisms due to the over consumption of sugars, refined carbohydrates, alcohol or the use of some pharmaceutical drugs like antibiotics, fermented foods can help! Fermented foods help rebalance your gut ecology as they are loaded with probiotics, beneficial microbes.
So how can fermented foods help digestion?

Fermented foods can help digestion at every step of the way! As long as you are using safe and effective fermenting techniques to make your foods then they will most likely provide the benefits mentioned above.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! A lot to digest.

My kraut is not bub ling. The instructions I followed did not mention bubbling. Hmm.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow! A lot to digest.

My kraut is not bub ling. The instructions I followed did not mention bubbling. Hmm.
Cici- I love your pun on words!!

I just checked my stash. I have a jar of veggies dated 3/7 and 3/9. Neither are bubbling at all. I just put up a jar of carrots two days ago, and I see gases releasing and little bubbles. Seems the tighter the pack, the less bubbles I see.
I never thought about the bubbles before. My stuff from 4/1 has a few bubbles.

I do remember someone saying you should see a bit of bubbling and some liquid possibly dripping out after about 3 days depending on the heat in your home. And I think something about wanting some space for gas to release.

I just read- When the pressure is greater inside than outside the jar, the gasket allows gases or briny liquid to escape. A gas seal is created, so that even when vegetables are above the liquid they will not spoil. (So, do not open the jar until you are ready to eat the contents, as this will break that seal.) After about a day, little bubbles will rise to the top and settle in a ring around the neck of the bottle. Fermentation has begun. Once you see a thick necklace of bubbles, fermentation is well established. -- Farmers and Gardeners Association

Well I don't always see bubbles, so not sure if it means it isn't fermenting or not. It tastes fermented!

I just also learned two more things I didn't know. They said not to use iodized salt. I did on a batch because I had it in my cupboard and was out of sea salt, and non-chlorinated water. I don't think the water I buy has chlorine. Also, to use for every 5 pounds of vegetables, 3 Tablespoons of salt.
I think I was using too much salt.

Here's to everyone's digestion!!

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-15-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, ladies. You are the best oCuld be that there are no bubbles because I release the gas when checking it for ample brine. I used a crock so have to open it to check. Sandor Kats book, WILD FERMENTATION is what I am followimg.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks, ladies. You are the best oCuld be that there are no bubbles because I release the gas when checking it for ample brine. I used a crock so have to open it to check. Sandor Kats book, WILD FERMENTATION is what I am followimg.
That would explain it. No build up of gas then.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I don't think I would be waiting six months! I don't need my kraut to be that mature.

I have been eating the Bubbie's kraut, but may start my own kraut due to cost and I read this which is kind of interesting. I do NOT need more histamine in my body!!

Bubbies only ferments their sauerkraut for 2 weeks so it is not a complete ferment. People who are sensitive to histamines would have problems with eating this sauerkraut.
What is good enough for Bubbies is good enough for me. At least the first time. I want to start eating this stuff. I will leave it in the cabinet another week then start pulling from it. Will decide whether to refrigerate based on flavor.

How long have you been eating Bubbies and did you notice any additional allergic responses or immune challenges?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kombucha and I are having a love affair
Now I combined it with gelatin for a fun healthy treat with this woman' s recipe. Thought I would share.

Booch-ello: Kombucha Gelatin
By Lydia

Ingredients:

3/4 cup org. apple juice
2 T Great Lakes gelatin
1 1/2 cups 2nd ferment (bottled so it's fizzy) kombucha (this is pomegranate)
Instructions:

Mix gelatin into apple juice to soften then warm slightly on the stove on low until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes- whisk well.
Pour the kombucha (slowly) into a bowl, then (slowly) pour apple juice/gelatin mixture into the kombucha and gently stir. It WILL foam up.
Let sit for about 10 minutes and all or most of the foam should be gone.
Pour into molds and put in the refrigerator. Takes about an hour to set up.
It's got a slight fizz to it on your tongue.
Mix and match flavors you like for this.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi PHDers,

I found this on Raw World which is a letter from Bubbies. I have not made my own yet, because of course, I am not officially retired. But soon, very soon.

Quote:
Thank you very much for writing in we are always
pleased to hear from someone else who is in the raw and naturally
fermented food community.

Bubbies Pure Kosher Dills, Dill Relish, Pickled Green Tomatoes are all 100%
raw and our Old Fashioned Sauerkraut has been heated, but not pasteurized.
Our Beet & Prepared Horseradishes are raw but pickled in vinegar and the
same goes for our Herring Fillets in Wine. Bubbies Bread & Butter Pickle
Chips are pickled in vinegar and are pasteurized.

We were forced to begin heating our jarred Sauerkraut to calm the cultures
inside because they were causing the kraut to continue to ferment too much
causing a buildup of gas that then causes the brine to leak all over distributor's and retailer's equipment and shelving.

When we heat our Sauerkraut, it is quickly raised to about 140 degrees and
then allowed to cool as it is being jarred. The goal here is not to
eliminate all the beneficial cultures, but rather to stifle them so they
won't cause the jars to leak. When our Bread and Butter Chips are
pasteurized the pickle chips are heated to about 175 degrees and the brine
solution is just beginning to simmer (near 212). This process is designed
at eliminating any potential cultures while the heating we do for our
Sauerkraut is intended to calm them with the specific goal in mind not to
eliminate them all.

We recently had all our naturally fermented products tested for their
biological activity, including an additional sample of our sauerkraut, but a
100% raw variety we are only able to distribute in large buckets at this
time. Bubbies Raw Sauerkraut showed a minimal increase in activity over the
heated, jarred Sauerkraut. The jarred Sauerkraut definitely responded to
their biological activity tests and showed that it has living beneficial
bacteria within; and, since the product continues to change over time
because of continued fermentation (even when refrigerated -- but most
definitely if left at room temperature); those same enzymes produced in the
original fermentation are still being produced. On a slightly different
note, the Sauerkrauts, raw and heated, tested a much distant third on the
charts for biological activity than our second and first place winners: The
Pure Kosher Dills and Pickled Green Tomatoes. The tomatoes actually tested
the highest for biological activity and we believe that has to do with the
fact that tomatoes have more residual sugars for these beneficial bacteria
to live on after the fermentation process has essentially stopped.

It is important to note that our Sauerkraut is very crisp. It is crunchier
and able to maintain its crunch for far longer than other brands of Sauerkraut I have tried. This is because there are still some vegetable fibers left intact in the cabbage which are the complex carbohydrates that break down into the simpler food that the lacto bacillus and bulgaricus bacteria feed on during the fermentation process. Our Sauerkraut maintains its fibers better than others for several reasons -- one, because we pay close attention at when to pull and pack our Sauerkraut; and two, because of the method of preparation on the cabbages: they are shredded coarsely, and
as a result the Kraut is not reduced to a near relish consistency at the
end. This is one of the key reasons our Sauerkraut is so active and why we
were forced to begin doing the heating process. The fermentation process
must be carefully watched to ensure that the product is packed and cooled at a time prior to when the bacteria use up the bulk of the food supply -- i.e.
when all the fibers in the kraut have been broken down and those simple
carbohydrates have been consumed. If your fermentation process is too long,
or at too hot of an ambient temperature, the process will happen faster and
eventually you can over ferment your product. If this happens the bacteria
have run out of viable food sources and begin to die off. You can see that
in creating the optimal Sauerkraut there is quite a bit more to it than just
throwing it together waiting until it is not giving off anymore gas to throw
it in the jar.

The two gallon buckets of Sauerkraut we make and distribute to local
restaurants and The Rainbow Grocery Cooperative in San Francisco are 100%
raw. The distributors we deal with will not carry this product because the
Sauerkraut is so active that it continues to build up gas inside the buckets
causing brine leakage. These companies will not risk having other products
in their trucks and warehouses be damaged by the proliferation of our lacto
bacillus bacteria and the enzymes which naturally follow from such an
extremely active Sauerkraut. We are currently working on a smaller
container than two gallons for distribution to the end line consumer. We
have made several attempts at this but cannot seem to get our Sauerkraut to stop building up that gas and leaking in any sort of typical container. Our
next plan is to attempt to implement a snap lid mason jar, with the big
metal clamp on the outside of the jar. While we anticipate that this
product will only end up in select natural food stores throughout the
country because of its extravagant packaging, but if we can pull it off we
feel it is simply the best Kraut in the world.
If you would like to know more about this product, check back in with us in
a few months and I'll be glad to give you an update.

We hope this email answers your questions and
that you are well.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey R. Wilson
Bubbies of San Francisco, Inc.
Ph: (209) 951-6071
Fax: (209) 951-6290
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, Now, that sounds amazing! Thank you! I love kombucha but have not tried it in this manner. I am really enjoying hibiscus flavored.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
What is good enough for Bubbies is good enough for me. At least the first time. I want to start eating this stuff. I will leave it in the cabinet another week then start pulling from it. Will decide whether to refrigerate based on flavor.

How long have you been eating Bubbies and did you notice any additional allergic responses or immune challenges?
Sounds like a good plan. I have been eating Bubbies for years. The interesting thing is I sneeze when I eat it! When I read that about the histamine I began to wonder if A=B. not sure because I also sneeze when I eat chocolate or chew gum. I don't remember if I sneezed or not when I made homemade. I'll have to compare. I don't have other reactions besides the sneezing.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone else enjoy drinking the brine? I am more in love with bubbies juice than the relish.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday thanks for posting the Bubbies info. I had read about gases building up and exploding jars. I saw one company, can't remember the name, went to a unique non jar packaging. It looked like a foil pouch, but I don't imagine it was.

I also drink the brine. I read a certain culture (can't remember which one), just drinks the brine and heats up the remaining relish as a condiment - the juice is what is significant to them.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-15-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I get a little sad when the juice runs out. I still make sure to eat the kraut, but boy do I like the juice.

Well, I don't know what is going on here in OK, but we have had 5 earthquakes since 2:00 am this morning! The last one was a 4.7 which is enough to shake us out of bed. Then I get up to turn on the news and hear that Iran had a 7.8 quake!!!

We have enough to deal with in the tornado area, so quakes are really distressing.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I get a little sad when the juice runs out. I still make sure to eat the kraut, but boy do I like the juice.

Well, I don't know what is going on here in OK, but we have had 5 earthquakes since 2:00 am this morning! The last one was a 4.7 which is enough to shake us out of bed. Then I get up to turn on the news and hear that Iran had a 7.8 quake!!!

We have enough to deal with in the tornado area, so quakes are really distressing.
Five?? The world seems a bit screwy lately. Severe storms in April, bombs blowing off in our country, earthquakes... Feeling sad today. Hope nothing further happens with those quakes!

Edit: Sunday, I just read that dangerous severe thunderstorms are heading that way too on Wednesday! I hope everyone will be okay....

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-16-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I keep an emergency stash of my favorite ice cream - always available just in case the world ends.

Good Grief!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I keep an emergency stash of my favorite ice cream - always available just in case the world ends.

Good Grief!
What is your favorite flavor?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Just want to mark a spot to come back read this thread, there is alot, i mean ALOT of info you girls have put out here and i want to take some time and read it.. also want to stop in and Say hello you you girls that are over here,, i wondered where some of you (Sunday hint hint) Went I see i found you now lol
sterlinggirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Just want to mark a spot to come back read this thread, there is alot, i mean ALOT of info you girls have put out here and i want to take some time and read it.. also want to stop in and Say hello you you girls that are over here,, i wondered where some of you (Sunday hint hint) Went I see i found you now lol
Hi Kimberly!! Good to see you. You look gorgeous in your avatar!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Kimberly!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My favorite ice cream flavor?

All of the above, my friend, all of the above. Although it probably has caramel somewhere in or near it.

I can ignore DH's dark chocolate M&Ms, I can ignore cake, cookies, pie. Ice cream is not allowed in my house except by special invitation...it calls to me in such a sweet and tempting voice. (Plus, if I forget about it and it gets all crystally and nasty and has to be thrown out...that is just too sad )
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Wow, I almost had a meltdown yesterday thinking about ice cream! I was quivering on the way home, thinking about it. I managed to kill it when I got home with a blueberry smoothie. Whew!

Why waste time on cookies or cake? Good gosh, there is nothing like ice cream!!! At least there is no flour or industrial seed oils in it
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote