Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I tell myself the same thing when I realize I went from 253 to 212 in a couple years and did not gain it back over the past few years. However, by body has bounced around at or close to this weight for too long now. It is time to complete the journey.
Thanks Cici, yes, I am very happy to be down.

You are too! This is something to be very thankful for!

I sincerely apologize, because it sounded like I was advising you to start focusing on losing, but I was simply responding to your words and saying that I am ready to start focusing on my goal weight as well. Although, I realize that I have to get my thyroid working optimally to get there.

I was 225 at my highest which was in 2009, lost down to 170 doing hcg and kept it off until about 2011, where it crept up slowly till I hit 200 in 2012.

I have lost about 38 lbs in one year of JUDDD and then another 12 slowly since beginning PHD in Jan. During Juddd, I had many stalls where my weight seemed to start going up and down the same 2 to 5 lbs repeatedly. I think this is what encouraged me to look at what was causing the stalls and what led me to study PHD. I most certainly should be thankful to be seeing any losses. I can't seem to lose like most others and I just need to accept it and be content with what I have.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
*sigh* I am not even sure what to say here. I appreciate the frustrations we all seem to be feeling and I am also annoyed. I thought by now I would be slimmer and feeling much healthier. But then, I can't blame any diet plan when I am not following it completely. I have made grand improvements towards PHD eating, but I am still not there where I want to be.

For me, the big thing is getting rid of the toxins, I am doing well with that. From all the reading I have done, I do believe this is a big deal. I do get some seed oils when I eat out and maybe some bites of wheat at a restaurant, but I do believe in getting rid of the wheat, seed oils, legumes etc. I've also done well adding in the fermented foods. But I am sure I am still not balanced with my nutrients and I haven't added in the lamb/beef liver.

I also believe we need to be nourished before we can lose weight. Maybe I haven't still nourished myself sufficiently and that's why I am not losing. I have had a bad disease for a long time, and I have done major damage to myself with different diets where I could feel myself becoming malnourished. After more than 6 rounds of HCG, I felt like death was knocking at my door. I tried to maintain my HCG losses by going raw, and I felt worse on the raw diet than most others. Again, likely due to my Crohn's..

I haven't been fully PHD because I do potato days, and the only time I seem to lose is when I do potatoes. And I am not cutting back enough on my fat, I am sure. I have CO in my coffee each day, and eat the fat in the meat, and butter my veges.

I don't know what to say about your doctor's advice Sunday. I mean, she knows your condition the best, but I don't trust diet info from the majority of doctor's out there. Unless they are a holistic or integrated doctors, I am just not sure about what they know. My doctors have always given me the pat answers to diets- the DASH or Weight Watcher's. I lost weight on WW, but I never felt good on it and was always hungry. I don't think that is a good sign for me.

I don't think 1200 is too low for calories, but again, I think it all depends on the individual. It might be too low for some people, but not others.Whatever number of calories it takes to get the optimum amount of nutrition in your body is what it takes, but I don't think there is one number that works for most. Losing 12 pounds on PHD sounds pretty good to me !

I don't know if IF is a good or bad thing for me. I think doing the 36 hour down days may not have been good because eventually I couldn't handle doing it. The 16/8 was going really well, and now I can't make 16 hours. Seems I stress my body the longer I do these things and it backfires.

This is me.

Every day on daytime TV, someone is spouting off about what supplements to eat, eat this and not that, antioxidant this... not that....blah blah blah...

Blonde- I am really sorry you are doing through all this. A for you. It sucks when you feel so awful.

And Cici, I sound similar to you I think I am just eating my maintenance calories, but finding it hard to go less.

I don't have much of value to contribute to this discussion, likely due to my frustration. I just know I want to stop switching around plans or combining plans. I just want to stick with something that works for the long haul. And I know I do not want to add one more supplement to the mix!! I want us all to feel healthy and well and get to our goal weight. Now is that too much to ask??

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-11-2013 at 04:32 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Sunday, No appology needed. I did not take it that way. You do realize that 12 pounds since sometime in January is roughly a pound/week. That is good steady weight loss and most likely to stay off long term. I do understand your concern that adding calories may slow things down but sometimes it works the other way. In any event, your health is the first consideration and you have lost a considerable amount of weight in the past year so I don't understand who the "most others" are that you compare yourself to. I'm guessing that they are younger than us.

Last edited by cici52; 04-11-2013 at 04:36 PM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, Bev, I remember you are the one that convinced me that I never want to do Hcg again. Thank you! I used a doctor with RX hcg and did lose very well. I felt fantastic, but it was then that I started noticing that my thyroid never really recovered to normal. I basically was able to sustain the losses because I ate P3 forever and stayed cold.

You are right about going to an integrative doctor as well! I will begin a search for one. My doctor is just an internist and doesn't really have experience with either weight loss/hormones or thyroid. I think for now, I will remain at where I am and just try to eat PHD and keep the fat low.

Bev, you have so many external health issues that I am wondering if you are being too hard on yourself about losing weight? I think just getting your teeth taken care of and then move on to eating for relief for Crohns. Does PHD seem to help there?

I thought about doing the tater hack for a 2 week period, but unfortunately, I don't know if I could keep up the hack for more than a couple of days now. Another weird thing, is that I feel so good and nourished now, that I psychologically can't handle real dieting. I think I will shoot for 1200 cals PHD wise, but actually may be taking in a bit more or less. I will continue to workout and throw in 2 days of fasting weekly. How does this sound?

Blonde, I am hoping that your asthma is on the mend. I am so sorry!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I love you! You just made me laugh out loud! You are right, I think I am comparing myself to all of the younger gen who make losing weight seem effortless. I am 55 and definitely need to be thankful for each and every pound. I will keep trucking.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Bev, you posted while I was typing. I feel your pain and agree totally about switching plans, taking supplements, and the contradictory advice being pounded at us from all directions.

I have come to believe that the moderate approach is what my body needs, regardless of different plans. I know which foods behave like toxins in my body and which ones nourish. PHD is a moderate approach for the most part and will continue to use it as a general template. It made me aware of certain nutritional voids in my previous woe and a better way to approach gut health. I may incorporate what I learn from other sources to tailor the plan to my current needs such as supporting my thyroid, losing weight, etc. The book on raw foods brought up a point about protein needs that I have not heard before.
Quote:
Because cooked proteins are at least partially denatured, food that is cooked provides the body with much less protein than the same food in its raw state. As cooked food is predominant in our culture, protein-intake recommendations (currently hovering around 70g/cay) tend to be based on cooked rather than raw food. But researchers at the Max Planck Institute have found that when protein is consumed in its raw state a person needs only half as much as when protein is consumed after being cooked.
The book went on to list many vegetable sources of protein.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I thought about doing the tater hack for a 2 week period, but unfortunately, I don't know if I could keep up the hack for more than a couple of days now. Another weird thing, is that I feel so good and nourished now, that I psychologically can't handle real dieting. I think I will shoot for 1200 cals PHD wise, but actually may be taking in a bit more or less. I will continue to workout and throw in 2 days of fasting weekly. How does this sound?
This is profound. Many of us who have dieted for years or a lifetime can't resist the lure of the promise of fast results regardless of what it does to our health. I will include myself in the diet addict catagory. To actually reach a point where you feel so nourished that you don't want to upset the balance is a huge milestone. Your plan shows great wisdom.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #128
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Bev--you have just posted what I feel as well. I was on a diet my doctor wanted me on for health reasons. After not losing an ounce in 6 months I gave up!!! I was frustrated and sad and didn't fit into my clothing. I simply refused to buy the next size up. Denial, yes!! She was advocating a diet similar to PHD along with supplements for my adrenals and I just blew it off after 6 months. I gave it that long with no results before I bailed.

I also watch the daytime TV shows with everyone spouting about this supplement or that supplement. I cannot even tell you how many diet products I have in my closet---with many more I *want* to try. I have watched waaaay too many of those shows.

Currently I am trying to get my hormones balanced. Big joke!!! Being on progesterone has brought on the munchie monster from he**. All I have wanted to do since starting on those is eat--and not eat good things. I am struggling myself with all this info, my body not responding to anything but hcg right now (which is horrible for me being I have binge issues--maybe increased tendency towards the binging with the depravation I feel on the hcg), my inability to stick with one thing all the way through. I hear your frustration and desperation right now. I just wish it were *easy*. Why can't I just be normal????? I just want to eat normal and not worry about food, diet or anything like that.

Wanted you to know you are not alone. Keep posting. It is how we work all this stuff out. I learn, you learn, we all learn from each other. By mistakes, or triumphs.

Good on you for a well thought out post!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
I've read these last posts with sadness and an intense recognition of most of these issues, with myself. Regardless of weight loss (12 lbs this year is a goodly amount, Sunday~congratulations!) or no weight loss I completely believe in getting healthy. My Doctor also recommends Weight Watchers, but then tells me not to get caught up in the WW Products, they're not that good. Well a lot are full of sugar, with WW, FAT is the monster. But I lost no weight, in fact I gained weight back and stayed static for weeks. Until I made my own version of DD fruits and any veggies w/ with no added fats or grains or sugar, and up days of counting my WW points...I couldn't lose. I have lost a little and it could be thanks to being so sick. IDK. We just have to keep searching and looking to better our health. Eating healthy food. Getting in some walking, doing a little meditation in whatever form you love. I don't believe one should get the weight off at any cost.

I'm still suffering the effects of my asthma attack and I'm weak and short of breath. I'm going to feel better eventually. I completely commiserate with you wonderful people. It is a daily learning curve. Maybe we should remember the Doctor's credo~ First, do no harm.

The nutritional supplements are flying off the shelves, I too have cabinets full of pills that are supposed to be the miracle pills of the century...We need to get as many nutrients as we can from real food. Right?

I don't know how anyone can determine someone else's calorie requirements at a glance. IF one is full and satisfied with 900 calories, and not losing too quickly and feels well...well there you go. Dr.'s have a miniscule amount of nutritional training in MED school. Minimal. There is a lady on these boards (Leo41) with Hashmoto's and was only able to lose all her excess weight by doing JUDDD, religiously. And has kept it off. She's my hero. Her calories are very low because her metabolism is so slow.

I'm rambling here, but I'm with you, We will continue to explore and discuss and inform, to congratulate and commiserate and cheer each other on. Everyone's road is a little bit different so we have to tweak what we're doing, to work for us, while following the principles of healthy eating.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I remember Leo. I sought her advice before ever doing JUDDD, because I feared that the low cals would mess with my already defunct thyroid.

I like your idea of fruit and veggie down days. You can eat a whole lot of asparagus, zucchini, pickles, etc. for practically minimal cals.
What thyroid meds did your doctor recommend Blonde?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Blonde! for the nightmare you have been through! Thank you for letting us know what is happening - I was worried.

Sunday, I think two DDs with volume coming, if you need it, from veggies/fruits/even a few ounces of low-fat protein is a good idea. While I believe too much autography can put a body under stress, I also believe autography is the way our bodies evolved to do a lot of cellular clean up and a WOE that never invokes it is probably not healthy.

However, I also suspect that eating around 1200 cals on an eating day means you are eating at or below your RMR. Doing that consistently, yes, I think you are stressing your body, keeping autography active for too long, and - no matter how nutrient dense your eating may be - your body is not going to get what it needs to stabilize, to regain health, to honestly release weight.

I suggest you try 2 DDs, 2 or 3 compensatory 1500 calorie-ish days to completely stop autography, and 2 or 3 1200ish (somewhere around RMR) calorie days.

I also suggest - even though your diet is so clean - you figure out ways to identify subtle food intolerances. NSVs are very helpful with this...and eating a broad selection of foods. I guess I am lucky. These days when I eat something I shouldn't, when my health is at risk for other reasons, the arthritis in my knuckle kicks up. When my right hand hurts, I assume something is wrong and I put on my Sherlock hat.

Actually, to everyone! This finding our way through the health/weight loss wilderness is a difficult and frustrating journey...but one I believe each of us can and should make.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I was thinking when I lay down last night. I will try to throw in 2 high days as well as 2 fasts, and 3 regular days. I love that you were able to confirm this for me Nancy!

I will try and eliminate the food intolerance culprit too. I can't imagine that it is nuts, but that is something that others are highly allergic too. I will find out.
You know, I was really enjoying the 16 hour fasting. I think it is something that I may not entirely drop. I will try eating without the window for a month then transition to the window. I had began to love the window and the way that I feel when I don't eat.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh good, Sunday. I was afraid I was coming on too strong there...I don't ever want to do that! I'm glad we were thinking in the same direction.

Over the course of this journey I have come to respect RMR very, very much.

PS: From personal experience, anyone who can afford to retire at 55 should grab the opportunity!!!! I transitioned from 24x7 workaholic to 24x7 busy with other things and love every second of the other things!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-12-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I will be able to keep myself busy. I do need to learn to live on less and hope to do this as well! DH is 65 so I feel like he and I need some traveling time just like you are your DH. I hope to be able to use my free time to get the rest of the weight off as well.

To any one who is interested in trying this, I found this on one of my blogs sites I follow and like it! I am going to try with burlap bags and will let you know how it goes. I don't think it is a necessity to buy the grow-bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a great idea.jpg (42.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nancy. thank you for the hugs, I needed them. Sunday & Cici, Beverly, thank you too. I sure have a lot of love and respect for my friends here. Sunday, no thyroid meds yet, no tests yet...I had my girls over spring break and then got sick so I haven't had them done. DH is home sick today with my cold, fortunately he doesn't have asthma.

My veggie and fruit DD's have been great and I eat as much as I want without worrying about calories, I know I'm reducing calories over-all. I've lost 10lbs since beginning WW (January), 4 of it in the last two weeks so you can probably feel my frustration. I'm grateful that I'm having some progress there, I just wish I felt better. You know when things start to go wrong one after the other and then you get paranoid and start looking for the next issue to happen? I need to get my blood tests and face this thing, do what I need to do...move forward. I can't wait to breathe well enough to take a stroll.

On a lighter note, last night my house was filled with the scent of Night Blooming Jasmine. We planted one last summer, it flowered but had no scent. I thought it was a dud...but nope, it's heady fragrance is still hanging around this morning. I love the smell, it reminds me of growing up in LA County in the late 60's-early 70's. The night would fill up with the stuff in the summer and make the whole city smell clean. Ahhhhh........
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love jasmine!

Blonde, I can't remember if I have given you this website to read, but if you google "endocrine awareness center for health" and also, "stop the thyroid madness". These were recommended to me by Shelbyla and I have found pretty much everything I need to know by reading on these two sites. The thyroid is so important to our overall health.

Thyroid hormones are involved in the following processes in the body:

Quote:
Basic metabolic rate (BMR)

TH increases BMR by stimulating the conversion of fuels (glucose and fats) to energy in cells. When BMR increases metabolism of carbohydrates fats and proteins increases

Temperature regulation

TH stimulates cells to produce and use more energy which results in more heat being given off raising body temperature.

Carbohydrate and fat metabolism

TH promotes the use of gluclose and fats for energy, and enhances cholesterol turnover, thus reducing cholesterol

Growth and development

TH acts with growth hormone and insulin to promote normal development of the nervous system in fetuses and infants, and normal growth and maturity of the skeleton

Reproduction

TH is necessary for normal development of the male reproductive system. TH also promotes normal female reproductive ability and lactation.

Heart function

TH increases heart rate and force of contractions of the heart muscle, and enhances sensitivity of cardiovascular system to signals from the sympathetic nervous system.

Aging affects both the production of the body’s hormones and the way in which target organs respond to them. Output and responses to thyroid hormones which control the body’s metabolism may decline with age alongside a loss of muscle tissue, which uses more energy than fat areas. This means that metabolic rate decreases with age so the body burns fewer calories. Unless this is counteracted by exercise to increase muscle, older people can develop a susceptibility to rise in body fat levels.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another day, another clean slate...

Sunday, I got hooked on the magic of HCG too. It was a miracle to me. I lost 35 pounds my first round! It isn't any good though if I can't keep it off, which I couldn't. I am sorry your thyroid never really recovered from that. I think of the incredible stress the body is under round after round. It worked great for my BFF and she kept the weight off, but she only had to do one round.

Yes, eating PHD does help with the Crohn's. Avoiding gluten really helps with it the most. Maybe I am hard on myself about losing weight, but my life is going tick tock tick tock. I am getting older every second and carrying this weight on me is far from good for my health too. I just feel the passing of time go so quickly and I want to have time to enjoy a body that is leaner !

It is wonderful you are feeling so good and so nourished. That is the key! Two days of fasting weekly sounds like a good plan.

Cici- you sound in a solid place too taking the moderate approach. I really wish I knew which foods behaved like toxins and which nourish me. I can never really tell. I even have done the elimination diet twice and I just can't tell! Maybe because I never really feel good, I can't tell the contrast when I feel worse. The only thing I see a definite reaction to is gluten. I got NAET treatments for a full series and that showed many food intolerances. I don't think it took care of any of them though. You are wise to use various plans as a template specifically designed for yourself. You seem to have a very calm and wise approach to your eating.

Dawn- thanks for understanding my feelings about all of this. I feel better knowing I am not alone in this. It is very upsetting when the promise of losing weight and feeling better, through whatever method, doesn't pan out. Time and time again, it just gets frustrating and disappointing. I turn my DVR on during the day and tape shows and then scan through them when I get home. Dr Oz, Dr Oz's daughter, the Doctors, even GMA all "have the secret solution" to weight loss and better health. Even the infomercials like the Nutribullet spout off about antioxidants and omega 3's and diabesity. I also have spent way too much on supplements. I am now trying to eat my nutrition with whole foods, but I know I do need to supplement where I am deficient. Like D3. Must take D3 or my levels drop too low. At least I can see the proof of that with a blood test! I HATE that feeling you are going through of just wanting to eat and eat. I feel the same way about just wanting to be normal-- but I don't even know what normal means. I just want to be lean and healthy I guess. I am really sorry you are struggling too.

Blonde- I do agree with your doctor about the WW products or any of those that sell the prepackaged foods. Those simply are not good for us!! Sounds like your asthma attack was a bad one. Hope you are back to yourself soon! I like what you said about first, do no harm. I agree with that.

****** May I interrupt this message with a TV message I am hearing in the background. Lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks with J-Lo. That is on in the background right now, GMA I think. The Fast Metabolism Diet. Phase one is.... phase 2 is all about lean protein...some experts say this is nothing new. No kidding...

Nancy- not to be an idiot, but what is autography? I tried to google it, but I am only finding it as a signature from famous people and I am sure that is not what this is about. Why is too much autography not good? I always love listening to you because you are the voice of success! You are so right about retirement. That has made the biggest single good health benefit in my life. Eliminating that stress and also sleeping later than 4:30 AM each day, made a dramatic difference. Retirement is a good thing.

On the night blooming jasmine- it reminds me years ago when I first moved out here. Every night, at the new house, I would sneeze and have a drippy nose and watery eyes. I had no idea what was causing the misery every single night. Then I finally realized it was the night blooming jasmine and I remember my boyfriend going outside in the middle of the night with his power saw cutting down the jasmine for me!Now that's an elimination diet!!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Bev, I am sorry you have such big issues to contend with. I had to laugh when you said my approach seems calm and wise. Truly, anything but a lot of the time which sends me into binge mde too often.

Quote:
****** May I interrupt this message with a TV message I am hearing in the background. Lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks with J-Lo.
Aren't there laws against fraudulent claims? How small is the small print at the bottom of the screen?

Quote:
Nancy- not to be an idiot, but what is autography? I tried to google it, but I am only finding it as a signature from famous people and I am sure that is not what this is about. Why is too much autography not good? I always love listening to you because you are the voice of success! You are so right about retirement. That has made the biggest single good health benefit in my life. Eliminating that stress and also sleeping later than 4:30 AM each day, made a dramatic difference. Retirement is a good thing.
QUOTE]
I thought she might be talking about autophagy as that is something that happens with fasting. I had no idea you were retired. Lucky you!

Wikpedia
Quote:
Autophagy (or autophagocytosis) is the basic catabolic mechanism that involves cell degradation of unnecessary or dysfunctional cellular components through the lysosomal machinery[1] (from the Greek words, auto "self" and phagein "to eat"). The breakdown of cellular components can ensure cellular survival during starvation by maintaining cellular energy levels.[1] Autophagy, if regulated, ensures the synthesis, degradation and recycling of cellular components.[1] During this process, targeted cytoplasmic constituents are isolated from the rest of the cell within the autophagosomes, which are then fused with lysosomes and degraded or recycled.[2] There are three different forms of autophagy that are commonly described, which include macroautophagy, microautophagy and chaperone-mediated autophagy.[3] In the context of disease, autophagy has been seen as an adaptive response to survival, whereas in other cases it appears to promote cell death and morbidity.[2]

Last edited by cici52; 04-12-2013 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Q on Coffee-Cocoa-like Drink

Sorry to break in - I remember reading somewhere that there is a drink that tastes something like or between coffee and chocolate? I think I might have seen it on this thread.

I have a friend with all sorts of coffee makers and presses; I think I could try it now if I knew what it was.

Thank you -
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beverly!

Autography (aw-tog-raffy, I think) has very little to do with celebrity's signatures (although, as strange as the human body is proving to be, I would not completely rule out a possible connection).

Autography is the missing link I spent most of last year wondering about: why do JUDDD, IF in general, long-term fasting for some metabolisms, and LC all frequently have similar results like reduction is arthritis pain, reduction in asthma symptoms (sorry Blonde - wish I knew why that does not happen for everyone), overall health improvements, and - almost as an aside - weight loss?

It turns out SIRT1 - an enzyme that hangs around in every cell in mammals' bodies - is activated by ketosis. And, let me tell you, 'ketosis' ain't what it used to be. Dr A defined it (paraphrasing here) as happening when the body preferentially burns it's own fat for energy as the result of eating LC. The first part seems to be pretty generally accepted. But that last bit "as the result of eating LC" is out the window. More and more studies are proving mammals are designed to burn fat preferentially. Our body's initiate it in an amazing variety of ways (eating below RMR, exercise, LC, heck - eating potatoes).

Anyway, ketosis kicks SIRT1 in the tail and says, "Get busy." SIRT1 grabs a dust pan, a vacuum, some spray cleaner, and some rags and gets down to some serious autography. It grabs dead and dying bits and pieces in it's home cell and tosses the debris out to be burned with the fat. It even dismantles dying cells and chucks them and itself away.

This is a good thing. A very good thing.

Cool, huh? Our bodies are designed to clean themselves up - and give themselves a health upgrade - when fat is burned preferentially. (Why, yes. I do now refer to cleaning the bathroom as "I have to go autograph the toilet.")

The problem is....and it is a real problem I think....once SIRT1 starts it keeps working until the body says "Stop!" In fact, as we know from JUDDD, it keeps working for hours after the body leaves fat-burning mode.

Unless the body leaves ketosis (and there a lot more reasons it does that than Dr A thought) SIRT1 keeps on cleaning. To the point it begins throwing healthy cells into the furnace.

This is not a good thing.

So, JUDDD alternating days turn SIRT1 on and off - good thing. Fast 5, 5/2, 16/8 are all different on/off patterns. Which is right for a given body is the puzzle. (Science is only beginning to realize they are talking about LC here. I expect to learn in the next year or so that successful LC losers have some unexpected on/off mechanism...and those of us who stalled on LC did not trigger that hypothetical mechanism.)

Try running a search on 'ketosis autography' or 'sirt1 ketosis'. Man, in the last year or so, science has taken some big leaps forward.

Science may not know it yet. But, as a dedicated loser, I am amazed and enthralled.

Hope that helps.

Hope that gives you something to think about within your own six month cycle...maybe there is some nutrient dense shake-it-up pattern your body needs?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

cici- your post brought a big smile to my face. I needed a good chuckle. Yes, I am recently retired. My original plan was to do part-time independent contracting work, but my final months on the job I was just extremely ill. I didn't even work my last day. It has taken awhile to get healthier again- better eating, exercise, drugs, and sleep. I feel much better now, but far from ready to start any kind of part-time work. The job was stressful, but the commute was awful. I put on 80-100 miles a day and traffic here in Southern California is often gridlock. I love being retired. I wish I had more people who lived up where I am to do things with, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Sorry to break in - I remember reading somewhere that there is a drink that tastes something like or between coffee and chocolate? I think I might have seen it on this thread.

I have a friend with all sorts of coffee makers and presses; I think I could try it now if I knew what it was.

Thank you -
I do remember seeing it awhile back. Was it Crio Brü ? Cocoa that you can brew like coffee?

Ahhh dear Nancy- thanks for taking the trouble to explain all of that to me. I do remember reading about something like that. It was probably in the PHD book wasn't it? IT makes a lot of sense and I love how you explained it. Very visual! I love thinking that my body is cleaning up its own mess!! hahahaha....

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-12-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Once again, I loved reading all of your posts. Very educational.

The night jasmine had to be removed from our yard, too along with the bottle brush. I have no allergy symptoms in Hawaii, but we were just in CA for three weeks and I was miserable again. Glad to be back to this home. You are lucky if it doesn't affect your asthma, Blonde. It smells wonderful and says spring is really here.

Hugs for ALL OF YOU
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
cici- your post brought a big smile to my face. I needed a good chuckle. Yes, I am recently retired. My original plan was to do part-time independent contracting work, but my final months on the job I was just extremely ill. I didn't even work my last day. It has taken awhile to get healthier again- better eating, exercise, drugs, and sleep. I feel much better now, but far from ready to start any kind of part-time work. The job was stressful, but the commute was awful. I put on 80-100 miles a day and traffic here in Southern California is often gridlock. I love being retired. I wish I had more people who lived up where I am to do things with, but it is what it is.

I do remember seeing it awhile back. Was it Crio Brü ? Cocoa that you can brew like coffee?

Ahhh dear Nancy- thanks for taking the trouble to explain all of that to me. I do remember reading about something like that. It was probably in the PHD book wasn't it? IT makes a lot of sense and I love how you explained it. Very visual! I love thinking that my body is cleaning up its own mess!! hahahaha....
Crio Brü - yes, that's it - thank you!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Beverly!

I know about time's footsteps sneaking up behind you. I hear them every time I try to do something now physically beyond me, I hear them every time my mother, slipping deeper and deeper into dementia, tries to share a story or react to a situation, I hear them every time I forget something or spend long minutes searching for something I just put down a minute ago.

I don't know how long it takes someone our age to heal, especially when the damage is at a cellular level and long established. I do know I started drinking BB daily and eating very close to PHD proportions last summer and, two weeks ago, my hair 'magically' changed from a dry, brittle, out of control kinky mess back to shiny healthy bouncy curls. That is almost a year.

Please, please take a few minutes and write a list of the NSVs you experienced on JUDDD and PHD. Go over it several times, make it really inclusive. Then, at the end, include "Lost xx pounds!"

Post that list somewhere. Good things have happened. Good things are happening and will that will continue. We can't change time's passage. We are in process of finding ways to maximized all the minutes we have left, we really are.

Okay.

Pep talk over.

Now, like Sunday is doing, like I did throughout my WLM and on maintenance, take a look at your eating patterns. Shake them up! We want and need autography doing it's cellular clean up regularly - I think I read the average body looses about 7 million cells each day. We need autography to stop regularly and completely too. You lost weight on the potato hack. But look at your calorie levels during the Hack. Low-low-low, under RMR consistently. Your SIRT1 was busy the whole time! That may have been too long and you may still be recovering from it.

Shake it up! Have a DD or two each week. Have a PHD UD. Have a LC week. Try a 16 hour fast three days followed by a 24 hour water fast a few days later. Run an internet search on gentle yoga. Eat 5:2 using PHD proportions. Spend a month back on JUDDD. Take a walk, grab a Kettle Ball.Do the Potato Hack for five days. Start shaking and keep shaking. Tune yourself, learn yourself.

When we make ourselves lose weight (HCG, low calorie 'diet') - our bodies fight every ounce and sometimes our bodies suffer. We can learn how to best support our illness-tossed, medicine-modified, post-menopause imbalanced bodies so they gradually but inevitably release weight.

This is not easy. But I still believe you can do it. I really, really do.

Go read over that NSV list. Today is the first day of the rest of your WOE.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-13-2013 at 04:43 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH! I was interrupted mid-diatribe and forgot to say, Beverly, your tooth is dragging you down right now. Health crisis seems to feed on health crisis.

I know. I am just getting over that hernia operation and - zap - abdomen swelling, pain is back, looks like I have an ovarian cyst. Dang, once again my weight is stable but my little jeans don't fit anymore (can anyone explain major bloating without weight gain?). I like my little jeans!!! I want to wear them, not just admire how nice they look.

Anyway, you are investigating which doctor and how to best handle and afford the tooth, and deep infection, repair. That is draining you and depressing you and I am so very sorry it is happening. This too shall pass. In the meantime, please consider shaking it up.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, thanks for the thyroid info! I have an appt Monday for re-check of this whole asthma debacle. I, like the rest of you, am sick of my issues. The Jasmine doesn't bother my allergies, thank goodness. It's the tree pollen, particularly the Fruitless Mulberry that fill my neighborhood and front back and side my house. I do dream of a chainsaw there.

Beverly I so relate to everything you're saying, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I agree with Nancy about continuing the quest of healthy eating, regardless of xx pounds lost. It's not going to be fast as we've all discovered but I believe there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Nancy~ shake it up! I totally agree. Also, when doing JUDDD previously I had great response to my asthma issues. Even autophagy can't help a stupid woman who spent too much in a toxic environment, then got sick with a cold. I will be more careful in the future. For sure I don't bounce back like I used to.

Dawn, what a wonderful, pro-active boyfriend!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I love you guys.
I start out with the intent to respond to every beautiful comment and end up overwhelmed with nothing to say.
Man, I can identify with everybody. I loved my skinny-ness on Juddd but didn't love my eventual deterioration of skin, hair, and muscle, not to mention my inability to continue the UD-DD cycling at some point. My body-mind just said no.
I'm hoping that changes with excellent nutrition so that I can be as lean as I'd like and healthy.
If not, I'll work to accept the fact that my body wants to be chunkier than I'd prefer.
I do think each of us has a mysterious internal logic that changes with time, and although we can look for ideas from outside (I don't/can't watch tv - it makes me too desperate for external, instant solutions), the big discoveries will be our own. I keep thinking we're lucky, over time, to be listening more and more carefully to what these bods are telling us, despite the inevitable and horrid frustrations.
Acceptance of myself on this neurotic weight-discipline-health-self-care trip is the challenge of a lifetime for me.
Thanks to everybody for such honest and thoughtful conversation. I'm awed by it.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I love you guys.
I start out with the intent to respond to every beautiful comment and end up overwhelmed with nothing to say.
Man, I can identify with everybody. I loved my skinny-ness on Juddd but didn't love my eventual deterioration of skin, hair, and muscle, not to mention my inability to continue the UD-DD cycling at some point. My body-mind just said no.
I'm hoping that changes with excellent nutrition so that I can be as lean as I'd like and healthy.
If not, I'll work to accept the fact that my body wants to be chunkier than I'd prefer.
I do think each of us has a mysterious internal logic that changes with time, and although we can look for ideas from outside (I don't/can't watch tv - it makes me too desperate for external, instant solutions), the big discoveries will be our own. I keep thinking we're lucky, over time, to be listening more and more carefully to what these bods are telling us, despite the inevitable and horrid frustrations.
Acceptance of myself on this neurotic weight-discipline-health-self-care trip is the challenge of a lifetime for me.
Thanks to everybody for such honest and thoughtful conversation. I'm awed by it.
Well said, Kristin!!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Kristin. Your words are like balm.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Yes, very well put, Kristen
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote