Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I wish Pistolpete would check back in. I miss his delicious meal ideas.

I just made something that is unbelievable and very inexpensive!

2 large daikon radishes
1 lg portabello mushroom
2 large leeks
red pepper flakes, purple onion, cilantro, crispy bacon bits for relish

I first browned one slice of bacon and drained most of the bacon grease, leaving just enough to saute veggies. Sliced up radishes to look like thick potato chips, added sliced shrooms, leeks, & purple onion and saute in bacon dripping for 10 minutes. Add cilantro, pepper flakes, and crumbled bacon last 2 minutes. Sprinkle fav seasonings. I used sea salt & "Slap Yo Mama" , black pepper! This is very low calories and taste like you are eating home fries.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think my neck is the result of stress. I am working long hours and trying to get ready to retire from the University. I have been sleeping in odd positions at night and when I woke last night my head was completely off my pillow, thus resulting in muscular pain.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Awww Geez!!! Apologies to picklepete for killing your username! The mascot at one of our rival schools is named Pistol Pete.

Hope all is fine in your world!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

I just made something that is unbelievable and very inexpensive!

2 large daikon radishes
1 lg portabello mushroom
2 large leeks
red pepper flakes, purple onion, cilantro, crispy bacon bits for relish

I first browned one slice of bacon and drained most of the bacon grease, leaving just enough to saute veggies. Sliced up radishes to look like thick potato chips, added sliced shrooms, leeks, & purple onion and saute in bacon dripping for 10 minutes. Add cilantro, pepper flakes, and crumbled bacon last 2 minutes. Sprinkle fav seasonings. I used sea salt & "Slap Yo Mama" , black pepper! This is very low calories and taste like you are eating home fries.
Quote:
I think my neck is the result of stress. I am working long hours and trying to get ready to retire from the University. I have been sleeping in odd positions at night and when I woke last night my head was completely off my pillow, thus resulting in muscular pain.
That does sound delicious! Thanks for sharing. I am having a dish of my fermented veges at the moment. I forgot about a jar and it has been fermenting for over a month.

So you are going to retire? That must have been a big decision. Sorry you are feeling stressed.

I rather like the name Pistol Pete~
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Sunday: Thanks so much for the updated supplement info.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Hi Seabreeze! I haven't seen you in a while. How is YamYam? I really miss seeing her too.

I woke up with a sore neck and remembered reading this info on supplements on his website, so I thought I would copy & paste while I remembered it! Geez, getting old is fun, isn't it? .
I talked to Yam Yam as we were just on the mainland. Her old back injury had returned so we were not able to get together. She was also doing a lot of babysitting. I need to find out how she is doing now.

Thanks for the new supplement list. I take some of the things, but haven't tried all of them. A bit overwhelming, actually!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I add me to the "I can't eat that many egg yolks - liver - just dang volume of food" club.

And I am not too worried about it. Anytime I read "Everyone should eat x calories, or y weight of tuna, or z number of pickled peppers every day" I just kind of gloss right over that dictum. "Everyone" includes too many sexes, ages, heights, exercise ranges, metabolisms, food allergies, food intolerances, and health levels. I will stick to the foods and the proportions. Then I will fiddle with the volumes.

Beverly, I see what you mean. Leg/foot cramps happening after one lays down makes sense in that the stress of carrying the body is gone. That progression you experience - golly - I would expect that to happen either randomly or every time you sit/lay down.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I am retiring. 30 years at the same University. I still have another job that is my side job though. I have to run, but will be back tonight with some of my doctor's ideas and the scolding.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Oh-oh! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

I am having a mental setback. After last week's illness and today with reemerging cold symptoms and fighting weight gain since quitting the smoking and sliding off the PHD wagon for a few days, I am feeling the urge to look at other philosophies. While investigating the world of cultured food I came across a book, RAWSOME and am reading up. Not saying I am ready to go there, just saying my PHD loyalty is vacillating. While there have definitely been some benefits from the changes made with PHD, it has not yet yielded any weight loss or even an inclination to eat less and it has not been a magic pill in the health department, though I am not getting any testing so don’t know what is happening in the quiet places. All that said, I am hoping that the addition of home fermented veggies in another week or so will begin to do some gut-tacular things and the promises will start to be fulfilled.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love my doc. She has been my biggest ally and help in time of need. I went through some very difficult years between thyroid and my decision to take control of my weight and health.

I told her that I am officially gluten, grain, sugar, dairy and seed oil free. I just recently (Jan) eliminated grains and seed oil. I briefly explained PHD and the 16 hour fasting. She doesn't think I should be fasting or restricting and said that she finds it hard to believe that I am getting 1200 plus cals daily eating this way. I replied that I have IF'd at 900 cals daily up until Jan. JUDDD calculator numbers were 1600/300. I hate to admit that she was dismayed and said that it most certainly wouldn't be good for someone with hypo.

Personally, I feel better than I have ever felt, and in fact, I feel much better than JUDDD. I never eat processed foods and am thrilled that I don't crave it. No sugar and flour. I do KB, jump, and run regularly. She is worried that I am causing my hypothyroid to be inflamed. I don't know. I left JUDDD so that I didn't have to worry about staying so low in cals and yet she believes that I am still too low at 1200. I admit that I am not always 1200 plus, but I am definitely regularly more than 900. I did tell her that when I reach goal, I will try and eat closer to 1500 cals daily. I am about 26 pounds to go.

Is it me? I believe if I feel strong and fulfilled nutritionally, then the number of cals isn't important unless you are significantly lower as I was in my JUDDD period.

Cici, I love raw because my veggies and green smoothie have been instrumental in helping me achieve this new found good health. If you are not losing weight, Jaminet believes in lowering fats, but not protein/carbs. I can tell you that when I do tater hack, I lose. Not much protein and no fat. Carb heavy.

I truly believe that Fuhrman is right about losing weight. I think Jaminet is dead on right about Perfect Health. Maybe the two should collide?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I failed to say that in my doctor's viewpoint WW is the way to lose weight. She does understand eliminating sugar and gluten. She thinks seed oil, grains, and dairy should not be eliminated just limited.

Last edited by sunday; 04-10-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good explanation of the link between breast milk and gut. I agree and wish that I had known this when breastfeeding.

How Maternal Diet and Lifestyle Affects the Nutritional Value of
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Oh, I failed to say that in my doctor's viewpoint WW is the way to lose weight. She does understand eliminating sugar and gluten. She thinks seed oil, grains, and dairy should not be eliminated just limited.
Did you explain to her that some of us have serious trouble with 'limiting' certain foods?

I wish there were better, more accurate, more utilized tests for food intolerances ("Well, you are not allergic, but you are gonna be healthier and feel better if you stop eating this"). I wish there were easy, inexpensive, take-at-home tests for inflammation. We would all probably learn a lot about how each of our personal bodies function.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nancy, I forgot to add that she did switch me from Armour to Westhroid and upped my dosage. I had difficulty upping my dosage with Armour. It made me feel bad.

I used to love steel cut oats. In fact, if I knew it wouldn't cause me issues with weight loss, I would probably add in limits quinoa, oats, black beans, and black eye peas. I do have to abstain from wine while trying to lose because I will binge with nuts or other foods. After a month on this med dosage/ switch, she wants to run my numbers again and then we will look at thyroid issues such as hashi's or parathyroid. I got the feeling that she really believes I will lose eating more and eating all day, no more 16 hour fasting. She said that IF is okay, but limited to at the most of 2 days per week.

She also believes that KB's or weights 3 x per week and daily walking is excellent. No more exercise than that. What say my PHD friends?

Last edited by sunday; 04-11-2013 at 05:49 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

IF 2x/wk is what is recommended in the book. There is also a comment that legumes might be okay if prepared correctly. Finally, I think if you are eating grassfed meats and wild salmon and avoiding grains and processed food, you are doing a lot to reduce O6 so a T/day of seed oil will not put you out of balance. Jaminet may disagree aboit that but he allows both coffee and chocolate which are legumes so there is somr inconsistancy in his protocol.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you all get a chance to read Paul's response today to the NYT's piece on Health Risks of Red Meat.

Risk is Highly Dependent on the Nature of Your Gut Flora

Quote:
The lessons of this study are:

Don’t eat a high-sugar, high-flour, low-fiber diet.
Do eat natural whole foods that have the kind of fiber we and our probiotic gut flora co-evolved eating; mainly, resistant starch from in-ground starches like potatoes and soluble fiber from fruits and vegetables.
Don’t eat excessive amounts of meat. As we noted in the book, excess protein is available to gut bacteria for fermentation and that produces a number of toxic byproducts.
Do eat PHD levels of meat – one-half to one pound per day. This level of meat consumption will provide healthful and nourishing amounts of protein, choline, and carnitine, and will not cause any harm if accompanied by PHD levels of healthy plant foods.

None of these lessons is new. This study doesn’t overturn any established dietary wisdom. It is just one more piece of data reminding us to eat a balanced diet consisting of the foods we evolved eating – plant as well as animal.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I discussed with my doc that I have such a slow weight loss even when eating all PHD foods. So, am I hampering my loss by not eating more cals? I don't think so. I would only be able to eat about 300 more per day without feeling bloated.
After thinking about how well I do on tater hack and reading more about Fuhrman's "Super Immunity Diet", I decided to read up on what the difference was to PHD. The main difference is that he believes in a lot less meat and very limited oil. I am not sure yet which oil he recommends? Maybe OO. Jaminet recommends lowering cals and fat but following his PHD food guidelines to lose weight.

From Fuhrman's book...

Quote:
Focus on foods that are high in nutrients and prepare meals at home.
Eat at least one large green salad every day and ideally two.
Include at least an ounce of raw nuts and seeds and one serving of beans in the diet every day.
Preferably avoid animal products but at least limit intake to 10 oz. per week for women and 12 oz. per week for men.
Fruits and vegetables should comprise 90% of your caloric intake.
I don't think I can lower my meat that much!

Last edited by sunday; 04-11-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Just thought I would add up the main components of PHD calorie wise.

8 oz lean pieces only, roasted lamb - 406
16 oz potato - 332
16 oz root veg (chose carrots) - 103
3 large egg yolks - 164

Total 1005

Different food choices will yield slightly different numbers but it seems that we can eat the basics and keep our calories low and still have room for the variable items such as other veggies, fat of choice, BB, and pleasure foods. But it is close enough that those of us wanting to lose weight could easily tip the balance with fatty meats, cream, chocolate or wine or even overconsumption of BB if it is not defatted. Like any weight loss effort, we seem to have to choose between nutrition and YUM to keep the calories low.

Last edited by cici52; 04-11-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

On a personal note. This explains why I am unable to keep my calories low. I do eat the quantity of PHD recommended but also regularly eat the fat with meats, add cream to my coffee, eat one chocolate bar/week, drink wine or beer periodically, cook with butter or CO. Not all on the same day, but generally there is some added fat every day. I also love rice and it is more dense than potatoes so sometimes go over my starch allotment.

Also, I do not regularly exercise.

So there is really no mystery as to why I am not losing weight. I am simply driven to eat up to my maintenance calories.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I explained that my typical day is ~

Breakfast
Coffee w/ coconut cream 10
kombucha - 35

Lunch
Green Smoothie - 150 - 200 (kale, spinach, swiss chard, blueberries, 1/2 apple, whey protein & coconut milk)
2 egg yolks - 108
BB - 80

Dinner
6 oz lean turkey, chicken or tilapia protein - 163-200
1 cup of bb - 80
1 serv garlic/rosemary potatoes - 80
1 cup of grilled zucchini - 40
walnuts - 153
dark choc - 114

Total - 1100

I can make this more by adding fat (butter/co) to broth but have been eliminating to get my fat down. I guess I should strive for something a bit more at lunch?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #111
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Did you explain to her that some of us have serious trouble with 'limiting' certain foods?

I wish there were better, more accurate, more utilized tests for food intolerances ("Well, you are not allergic, but you are gonna be healthier and feel better if you stop eating this"). I wish there were easy, inexpensive, take-at-home tests for inflammation. We would all probably learn a lot about how each of our personal bodies function.
If we could only have come with our own personal manual when we were born That would make things so much easier.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I am betting that you needed to get in the nourishment especially if you did JUDDD like I was. I was nutrient deplete in a major way. I am suspecting that my doctor heard that I did that for a year and was concerned that IF in the JUDDD manner may not be good for someone who is hypo. Especially, the fact that I was cold pretty much every day. That seems to point to thyroid and slowed metabolism, right?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
If we could only have come with our own personal manual when we were born That would make things so much easier.
Yes, I agree! Also, on the thyroid, I was not feeling bad, but suspected that I still had major issues. My hair is still falling out, cold body temps, and forgetfullness that is annoying.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I think you are right but don't know for sure. Do you take your temp?

I know that how I feel doesn't always correspond to my body temp but my "normal" (as in all my adult life) body temp is 96.4 a.m. up to 97.6 p.m. (One of the reasons I think I might be hypothyroid) I do tend to feel chilly at rest but sweat with exercise or stress. If my body temp is very low I might sweat or feel clammy but if my body temp goes above 98 I start shivering as the environment then seems cold by comparison.

I think the thyroid is part of the problem but am wondering about adrenal fatigue as my life for the past few years has been one crisis after another.

I did JUDDD really well for 6-8 weeks (don't remember exactly) then started adding grains and dairy back into my diet, then any old thing I craved like deserts, mac&cheese, etc. Totally crashed health wise. Went NK about 6 weeks to get off the junk but basically did not have any reasonable nutrition until I started PHD in January. Up a few pounds when I came off NK. Up a few more when I quit smoking. I am bouncing between my preJUDDD weight 212, and 208.

On PHD I have been sleeping better than ever in my adult life. This is a great gift. Occasionally I have felt some good energy and lack of hunger so I am hopeful that this is a trend that will increase. I do still binge occasionally. Usually chips and sour cream, rarely something sweet. The reality is, if I bring it home, I will eat it all.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

I am really motivated right now to get back to weight loss as my clothing is snug and uncomfortable and there will be no purchases in the forseeable future.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am like you, I would like to get the weight off, but was really concentrating on getting my health optimal first. Thyroid and hormones balanced, then I should be able to see progress, right? Cici, there is a thyroid med on the "Stop The Thyroid Madness" site that doesn't require a prescription and may actually help you. It has good reviews and is called, "Thyro-Gold". It is natural like Armour, but is made from bovine thyroid.

Since you are motivated, now is the time! What about lowering fats first? If you like walking, start with a 30 minute plan. Some like walking indoors to a dvd, like Leslie Sansone, "Walk Away the Pounds". I have never tried it, but one of my co-workers swears by it! Says it makes her feel really good.

I picked up kettle bells because it is easy to do while watching any tv show. It doesn't require a dvd, although, I did in the beginning to get the different moves down. I also love rebounding.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I do want to mention, that I am sleeping like a baby as well. I have slept more sound than ever before, and I don't wake up about 3 x every night, like I used to.

For addrenals, Swanson Vitamins has a supp called Raw Addrenals Glandular that is only 4.99 and I have used it for a while now and think it may be the reason that I have done so well through all of my stress as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

I will check out the ThyroGold, though am cautious about self prescribing for something as sensitive as thyroid. You are right about what I need to do to lose weight. No time like the present.

One thing that has not been said in a while, Sunday, is look at your stats. You have made great progress. The body does need to rest from weight loss at certain points. Don't forget how far you came. I don't know what period you went from 225 to 147 but that is a huge accomplishment and not gaining it back is even bigger.

I tell myself the same thing when I realize I went from 253 to 212 in a couple years and did not gain it back over the past few years. However, by body has bounced around at or close to this weight for too long now. It is time to complete the journey.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post

Blonde- how are you doing? Is your funk lifting?

Keep Calm and PHD everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Sick as a dog today. THe whopper caught me good. I suspect the alcohol may knocked out my immune system. I had 3 drinks between Saturday and Sunday.
First off, I apologize for being gone so long. I appreciate your thinking of me and I'm sorry for worrying you. Like a lot of us, I've been really ill. First the UTI, then a head cold, then the Thyroid thing, then I got a another terrible cold that went into my lungs and triggered a major asthma attack that had me in the ER all night Monday. I will catch up on the thread and come back in a bit.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Great to see you, Blonde. So sorry you have been sick. Hope you are back to normal.