Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Kristin~the depths of your talents are amazing. PS~ I've loved Bill Paxton since Weird Science.

Hey Lindy Glad you're not a lurker anymore. Nice bunch of ladies here and one gentleman Pete. We're all trying to get better, one day at a time.

Bev~ What is a goitrogen affect? I eat greens almost everyday. I really would love to find a smoothie I can live with on a daily basis. I hope the saffron helps you out, you and your eyesight are priceless. Yes I have suffered some losses. I lost my Mom and my oldest brother within a year of each other. That was 20 years ago. Then I lost my Dad and my middle brother within three months of each other. It's been almost three years. When things like this happen it shakes my faith in the universe and I wait for the other shoe to drop for a long time. You know what I mean?

Sunday~ I remember eating sardines as a kid, my folks used to put them on top of saltines (whole). They were an incredibly cheap source of protein then. We also ate "potted meat" which was delicious until I got old enough to read the can.

Yennie~ Sorry about your Mom's eye problems. Yikes that's a lot to deal with. Do you think Dr. Oz is the medical equivalent of the "Oprah Effect". Everything she touches turns to gold. I do like him a lot but I worry that he is endorsing his way into being ineffective.

Hello Cici and Nancy!!

I'm feeling better everyday, breathing well and getting my stamina back (slowly). I'm a little shaky on my own health after having such a bad asthma attack. I'm really fine but I keep monitoring myself constantly. I'll get over it eventually.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Just some additional findings on the saffron-

The combination of crocin (from saffron) with resveratrol showed a novel synergistic effect in protecting retinal cells.

This is the first time this effect has been shown and we will be presenting the scientific data at one of leading natural products research conferences in United States in July 2012. This combination can provide a unique opportunity and a natural supplement for individuals recently diagnosed with macular degeneration.

Saffron Dosage

How much saffron is recommended? Can we get it in our diet or is supplementation necessary?

For the eye health benefits, one needs to take 20 mg of high quality saffron per day. Yes one can take similar amount of saffron spice that is added to the food or prepared as a tea. You need to make sure that high quality and authentic saffron is used. Supplementation with saffron is an alternative solution for health-conscious individuals who want to receive the specific dose of saffron everyday in a convenient once-daily pill.

Saffron Supplements

What should one look for in a saffron supplement?

It is the quality of saffron! The quality depends on the quantity of its main carotenoid constituents crocin and crocetin. Saffron is cultivated in different countries with different qualities and some sources may be adulterated with artificial dyes and food colours. Also one should note that Indian saffron is actually turmeric and different from saffron spice obtained from Crocus sativus. Saffron from crocus has shown eye health benefits in patients with macular degeneration.

Thanks Yennie for the info from Saffron 2020
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Regarding the "miracle" weight loss spices - I have never noticed the effect of these until just recently. When I did the potato hack with spices (cumin, cayenne, black pepper, curry powder, chili pepper, tumeric, and lots of chai tea), it worked a lot better than when I switched to pasta sauce and coffee.

I now believe there is something to it.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-30-2013 at 09:35 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Kristin~the depths of your talents are amazing. PS~ I've loved Bill Paxton since Weird Science.

Hey Lindy Glad you're not a lurker anymore. Nice bunch of ladies here and one gentleman Pete. We're all trying to get better, one day at a time.

Bev~ What is a goitrogen affect? I eat greens almost everyday. I really would love to find a smoothie I can live with on a daily basis. I hope the saffron helps you out, you and your eyesight are priceless. Yes I have suffered some losses. I lost my Mom and my oldest brother within a year of each other. That was 20 years ago. Then I lost my Dad and my middle brother within three months of each other. It's been almost three years. When things like this happen it shakes my faith in the universe and I wait for the other shoe to drop for a long time. You know what I mean?

Sunday~ I remember eating sardines as a kid, my folks used to put them on top of saltines (whole). They were an incredibly cheap source of protein then. We also ate "potted meat" which was delicious until I got old enough to read the can.

Yennie~ Sorry about your Mom's eye problems. Yikes that's a lot to deal with. Do you think Dr. Oz is the medical equivalent of the "Oprah Effect". Everything she touches turns to gold. I do like him a lot but I worry that he is endorsing his way into being ineffective.

Hello Cici and Nancy!!

I'm feeling better everyday, breathing well and getting my stamina back (slowly). I'm a little shaky on my own health after having such a bad asthma attack. I'm really fine but I keep monitoring myself constantly. I'll get over it eventually.
Hi Blonde,
You have been through so much and yes, I absolutely understand you are waiting for the other shoe to drop. It is a lot for anyone person to handle.

Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake. I have a family history of thyroid issues from cancer to goiter, so I am a bit concerned. Spinach, kale, and vegetables in the genus Brassica , soybean-related foods and cruciferous vegetables. I don't think people are concerned if there aren't thyroid issues or concerns.

Cooking the foods supposedly does appear to help inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. They appear to be heat-sensitive, and cooking appears to lower the availability of these substances. Just trying to be cautious on my part due to family problems.

I am really glad you are doing better!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Just some additional findings on the saffron-

The combination of crocin (from saffron) with resveratrol showed a novel synergistic effect in protecting retinal cells.

This is the first time this effect has been shown and we will be presenting the scientific data at one of leading natural products research conferences in United States in July 2012. This combination can provide a unique opportunity and a natural supplement for individuals recently diagnosed with macular degeneration.

Saffron Dosage

How much saffron is recommended? Can we get it in our diet or is supplementation necessary?

For the eye health benefits, one needs to take 20 mg of high quality saffron per day. Yes one can take similar amount of saffron spice that is added to the food or prepared as a tea. You need to make sure that high quality and authentic saffron is used. Supplementation with saffron is an alternative solution for health-conscious individuals who want to receive the specific dose of saffron everyday in a convenient once-daily pill.

Saffron Supplements

What should one look for in a saffron supplement?

It is the quality of saffron! The quality depends on the quantity of its main carotenoid constituents crocin and crocetin. Saffron is cultivated in different countries with different qualities and some sources may be adulterated with artificial dyes and food colours. Also one should note that Indian saffron is actually turmeric and different from saffron spice obtained from Crocus sativus. Saffron from crocus has shown eye health benefits in patients with macular degeneration.

Thanks Yennie for the info from Saffron 2020
This is very interesting. Have you priced this stuff? The spice is terribly expensive. I have only bought it once in my life. Imagine the supplements must be dear indeed. Guess it would be worth it if it prevented blindness.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So glad you are feeling better. I understand the residual concern and think it is probably good to be self aware as you regain strength.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
This is very interesting. Have you priced this stuff? The spice is terribly expensive. I have only bought it once in my life. Imagine the supplements must be dear indeed. Guess it would be worth it if it prevented blindness.
I didn't look up pounds to dollars equivalent as of today, but I am guessing it is around $40.00 a bottle with the shipping? So $40.00 or more a month. Yes the price is very high. I guess I understand why. I read that each Saffron filament is one red stigma from the flower of the Crocus Sativa plant, and there are only 3 stigmas per flower. They need to be picked by hand because they are so delicate. You would need to repeat this process for over 75,500 Crocus Sativa flowers to get only 1 pound of saffron!!
I don't have money to throw away, but the study on this seems very intriguing and I am scared to death of going blind!!

How are you feeling Cici?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
How are you feeling Cici?
I'm in fake it 'til you make it mode today. I'm about to start a good cleaning binge but my 400 sq ft apt just doesn't require much work. This will probably involve closet reorganization and trying on summer clothes. Not sure a dose of reality is what I want but it is time.

KT, your "miracle spices" comment set me off on a search. All of the following which are used in Indian cooking (my fav) and Ayurvedic medicine are also listed as good for weight loss and happily, already in my cupboard. Will mix a concoction and test.

black pepper
cardemom
cayenne
cinnamon
chili peppers
cumin
garlic
ginger
mustard seed

In addition, these herbs, too

dandelion
kelp (got that)
Panex ginsing
Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Below are excellent sources of non-goitrogens. If you are hypo or hashi's it is equally important to be gluten free as well as to avoid goitrogens.

Quote:
For improved hypothyroidism symptoms, the University of Maryland Medical Center recommends emphasizing foods rich in antioxidants, such as tomatoes, avocado, blueberries, cherries, bell peppers and squash. Bell peppers, squash, eggplant, tomato, zucchini, peas, green beans, carrots, asparagus, celery and cucumber are all excellent non-goitrogenic veggies. Many veggies are also good sources of electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, which help control the flow and accumulation of fluid in tissues.
Iodine-Rich Foods

Iodine is essential for thyroid gland function because it’s the main element in thyroid hormones. Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of goiter, which is why the mineral has been added to common table salt for many decades in the United States and various other countries. As such, foods rich in iodine are not only non-goitrogenic, but they can also often completely resolve goiters. Iodine-rich foods include kelp, other edible seaweeds, Jerusalem artichokes, fennel, raisins, cow’s milk and eggs.

Quote:
Tyrosine-Rich Foods

Tyrosine is an amino acid important for thyroid function, because hormones such as thyroxine and triiodothyronine are partially derived from it. All high-protein foods contain lots of tyrosine, but some of these also contain goitrogens. For example, soybeans, peanuts and gluten-containing grains such as wheat are great sources of tyrosine, but they can inhibit and inflame the thyroid glands of some sensitive people, so they are best avoided if thyroid dysfunction is a concern.Excellent non-goitrogenic tyrosine sources include fish, beef, poultry, dairy products, eggs, avocados, bananas, almonds and pumpkin seeds. Cold-water fish such as salmon are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and can be helpful in shrinking goiters. Furthermore, most protein-rich foods are also good sources of selenium and vitamin B12, which are nutrients that are important for thyroid function.

Most fruits are non-goitrogeneic and many can help protect or heal the thyroid gland because they are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants. Blueberries, cherries, dark-skinned grapes, citrus fruits, apricots, guavas, kiwis, mangoes, apples, pineapples and pomegranates are all excellent choices that are healthy for your thyroid gland. Some slightly goitrogenic fruits to be somewhat cautious of include strawberries, pears and peaches.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For green smoothie, replace greens with goitrogen free greens powder~

Some of my ideas~

Coconut Milk
Coconut water
seaweed
avocado
bell pepper
celery
apple
blueberry
pumpkin
triphala powder
High Energy Green SuperFood Powder | Amazing Grass | Infused with a kick of Yerba Mate and Matcha (goitrogen free)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good info Sunday! Thanks. I didn't even know they made goitrogen free greens powder! I do love avocado in a smoothie. And pumpkin tastes like pumpkin pie. I want one now. haha

An interesting thing this lady reports on her blog is she makes frozen kale cups and she steams her greens before putting them in her smoothie. She makes "kale cups" and freezes them so they are smoothie ready.

So, here’s how I’m getting greens into my smoothies from now on. Kale Cups!

Here’s how to make them.

Steam 1 bunch of kale (any kind) until wilted. I used red kale, hence the purple color in my cups!
Put the kale in your blender and add 1 bunch of parsley, stems and all. Just smash it all in there.
Add enough liquid to just cover the greens. I used lemonade in my first batch to compensate for the extra flavor that the cooked kale might have, and pineapple juice in the second. It worked.
Blend on the highest setting (mine is Liquefy) for 30 seconds to a minute, until there aren’t any discernible chunks left.
Pour the mixture into mini muffin tins, ice cube trays, or whatever you have. I used both because I made a double batch.
Freeze overnight, then transfer to freezer bags. I use 3 mini muffin tins in my smoothies.

Her smoothie recipe sounds really good. I might try this!

So, about that smoothie. Today was a Cherry Cordial (not so) Green Smoothie. by Chelsea

1 banana
3 Kale Cups
1 cup frozen dark cherries
1 cup coconut water (I used chocolate Zico)
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp cacao (or unsweetened cocoa) powder
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup Kefir (probiotic yogurt drink) or greek yogurt
Ice, if desired
Top with Cacao Nibs
Awwwww yeah. Now go forth, and drink your (thyroid safe) greens!

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-30-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For anyone else concerned about ocular health, I have been reading a lot to see what I can do to stop the progression of my issues. According to Lylas G. Mogk, M. D. director of the Visual Rehabilitation and Research Center of Michigan,

"Even if you already have macular degeneration , you may be able to slow its progress by the choices you make in the grocery store."The concentration seems to be on:

1. Stop smoking ASAP

2. Change diet to include foods high in antioxidants and foods high in omega 3's

Low Glycemic Carbs

Allen Taylor, PhD, director of the Laboratory for Nutrition and Vision Research at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (HNRCA) at Tufts University, examined the eyes of more than 500 women between 53 and 73 years of age.

Taylor, who is also a nutrition, ophthalmology and biochemistry professor on the Tufts health sciences campus in Boston stated

"The likelihood of having abnormalities characteristic of AMD on eye exam more than doubled for women who consumed diets with the highest glycemic index, regardless of other factors already known or suspected to increase the risk of AMD, such as age, high blood pressure, cigarette smoking, and obesity."

Foods High in Omega 3

Eating the right fats for a macular degeneration diet is very important

√ What fats are healthy and good for you and

√ What is the right ratio

Most of you know that we need to avoid trans fats.

But did you know that according to a 2001 Harvard study, that people whose diets had the right ratio (3:1) of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids had less macular degeneration than those whose diets were out of balance?

It is very important to include oily fish in your macular degeneration diet to get more omega-3s. (sardines!)

Omega 3 Benefits

What this means for you is that we get much more omega-6 fatty acids in our diet and very little omega-3 fatty acids.

Yet omega-3 provides critical protection to our retinas.

Protein

Many essential vitamins and minerals are found in meat and nuts, like vitamin B6, B12 and zinc.
Foods to Include are:

√ Eggs

√ Unroasted Almonds

√ Wheat Germ

√ Chicken

√ Turkey

√ Unroasted Brazil Nuts

√ Cold water fish such as salmon, cod, or haddock

3. Bluelight has been shown to cause damage to our retinas and is one of the causes of macular degeneration.

Wearing sunglasses may be one of the best and easiest ways to protect your eyes.

Bilberry Health Benefits

Many American are not aware of these anti-oxidant rich berries since they do not grow here. Found in northern Europe, many Europeans have enjoyed the benefits of these berries. Rich in anthocyanidins they differ from the U.S. blueberries in that the dark blue pigment is found not only in the skin of the berry but in the flesh portion as well.

5. There are certain medications that may have adverse effects on the eye. In the book The First Year - Age Related Macular Degeneration by Daniel L. Roberts, includes an appendix listing these different prescription medications and their side effects.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:

Well since you asked...I hate, HATE, HATE, HATE Dr Oz!!! (I know, tell you how I really feel, right?)

I think his show is completely irresponsible. I get that he needs ratings, products, etc but as a medical professional and heart surgeon I think the things he does on his show is completely out of line with the training and medical vows he took to become a doctor.

Very little of what he promotes is actually backed up with good science. Or if there are studies, he fails to explain the limitations. Like - "This herb resulted in weight loss in mice fed blah, blah, blah" Instead, he just says "Take this miracle herb and you'll be a size 2! Don't worry, go ahead & continue to sit on the couch, eat cheetos and bon-bons but pop my miracle pill & you'll be amazed!!!" I'm not doing a very good job explaining it but people see this pseudo-science crap, believe it and then its really hard to convince them that there are better, healthier options than some bull hookey he's slinging...

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Bone broth help

The real reason I came to here was to ask about bone broth, not rant about Dr Oz
I've tried multiple times (ok, 3) to make BB per the posts on the JUDDD board and some reading on the internet. Apparently I am no good at making it, or I don't care for it. Which, given how everyone raves about it, I can't believe I don't like it.
So, if you gals would not mind sharing with me your recipes and tips, I would be so grateful. I was desperately to like BB!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Yennie,

I have tried to make bone broth and find it when I make it from beef bones. Grass fed expensive ones - I am sorry to say I don't like it when the marrow actually comes out into the broth. If I don't cook them very long, it is good, but that isn't the point.

I do like chicken bone broth, however. I will stew the bones all night or all day in the crock pot on low. It makes a nice gelatinous broth. You know you've done a good job if it gels up in the refrigerator. I make it up like pho with basil. Yum!

If you don't like bone broth, there is always gelatin plus eating shell fish, black strap molasses, sardines (back to this again), seaweed.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

I've tried beef & pork, no good for either. At least the way I did it. I haven't tried chicken yet, mostly because we raise our own meat and chicken is not among the repertoire. I guess I could see if I could find an organic whole chicken, cook it and then crock pot the bones.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, well - if you don't need the meat, why not use turkey necks? I get them from the mexican grocery store for cheap. They are not organic, but there is no fat on them (I have heard a lot of the toxins are in the fat - I know this is not ideal).

When I get chicken, I get the biggest roasted chicken I can find at Costco for $6, give the meat to a friend (his cat goes crazy; my cat won't eat it), and make broth from the bones. Maybe this sounds expensive, but premade chicken broth isn't cheap and it isn't even good for you.

Seriously, I don't eat the meat; I am buying to make the bone broth.

I have heard more calcium comes out into the broth if you put apple cider vinegar in. I am not crazy about the taste, but I suppose it might be OK making hot and sour soup with some fueru wakame (seaweed - the kind you find in miso soup). I like to use rice vinegar (yum!).

Seaweed doesn't upset my digestive system. It is easy to digest and full of minerals to boot.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-30-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everyone, I have to run but will be back later to make a MAY PHD thread!

Yenni, I believe I have found the secret to tasty bone broth! I add a couple of chicken wings to every broth, be it bison, beef, or lamb. I usually make turkey broth because I am in love with it, but the other day had some knuckle bison bones and all I did was add the chicken wings to the pot and it was so much better.

Last edited by sunday; 05-01-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

May's thread is up!

Perfect Health Diet - May