Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I need to state that neither my mom or dad were negligent parents intentionally. I look back now and believe that they were so wrapped up in work and career that it was not revealed to them that we may be suffering with our eating habits. I remember the first blood tests that I had run for a physical when I was 16 and the doctor called to say I was very anemic. So, guess what my mom did? She put all of us on Shaklee multi-vitamins and shakes. I remember wondering if this is what most people do for good health?

Jen, I can imagine that your mom may have looked back on that and felt regret. I know that I was very careful about treading gently with my daughter. I really only worried about her weight after high school when she entered college. This is when she lived w/ girlfriends and had pizza pretty much EOD and continuous soft drinks. I knew that it was inevitable to gain some weight, but did worry for her. She decided to put herself on a LC diet which coincided with watching her roomies do the same. Even 10 to 15 lbs on someone who is 5'2" is a burden.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thank you one and all for your stories. I do not feel so alone. I am not looking to blame anyone for my situation because it is what it is, but I do like to analyze it a bit. I see others were in similar situations. My mom did cook however and we didn't live on fast foods. A few months back I posted that I recently found out my baby formula consisted of karo syrup and evaporated milk and I was aghast! I didn't experience a great deal of nutrition in my formative years.

Like you Jen, there were no treats in the house- at least for the kids. My mom had ice cream for my dad (which he ate when we went to bed). She had her own stash of potato chips. But as kids, we did not eat candy or regular dessert. Treats were reserved for Christmas, Halloween, Easter. I also did not learn moderation and when I had the opportunity for treats I also went crazy. My best friend's mom always had treats like candy bars and popsicles and other goodies in the house and we would go to her house after school and scarf in the stuff. And I saved my money and stopped at the corner gas stations for candy.

I experienced the same contradiction. Don't get fat, don't eat too much. Don't eat that. But then, you have to clean your plate- there are starving kids in Russia!

Cici- your post reminded me of my grandma and pepto-bismal. I actually liked the taste of that pink stuff. She used to swig it right from the bottle.

Keytones- thanks for the info on eyesight. Since I just got the info I have pre-macular degeneration, I really want to switch things up a bit.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-27-2013 at 08:09 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev,
I forgot about your early signs of macular degeneration, but I just happened on this article yesterday and it is worth a look at.

Several studies in recent years have indicated saffron may hold a natural treatment for this debilitating disorder.

Quote:
One study conducted by researchers at the University of Sydney and in Italy found that those with macular degeneration experienced significant improvement in their symptoms when supplementing with saffron. The trial was double-blind and controlled, involving 25 individuals over a 6 month period. About half of the group received a saffron pill for the first 3 months and then a placebo for the last 3 months; the other half of the group were given the pills in reverse order.

“Measurements using objective eye sight tests showed patient’s vision improved after taking the saffron pill. When they were tested with traditional eye charts, a number of patients could read one or two lines smaller than before, while others reported they could read newspapers and books again. All patients experienced improvements in their vision while taking the saffron pill. But when they stopped taking the pill the effect quickly disappeared,” Professor Silvia Bisti, a visiting scholar based at The VisionCentre at the University of Sydney said.

Saffron Spice Found to Reverse Macular Degeneration

Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I don't mean to make it sound like she was terrible, as I said, my mom is a pretty great person otherwise, just has a very skewed view of health & weight, and since I didn't fit her ideal, I had to hear about it. She's gotten some flack too, from the people in her life. Her husband, for example, requested that she no longer wear sleeveless tops since her upper arms aren't tone. Bearing in mind she is not fat at all, just a little jiggly in places because, well, she's 60 and isn't a body builder! So he said she either needed to tone or stop wearing tanks. Wow!
She used to tell me, when I first got married, that if I wasn't skinny my husband would cheat on me/leave me. I finally told him she was saying that, he called her out on it and she hasn't said anything about my weight since he told her to stuff it. Although she is very positive & complimentary about my current weight loss. I think she's adjusting her views in her old age as well - going more for health than appearances too.
Most of us get there in the end, just takes some longer than others.
Ok - done complaining about my mom. Thanks for listening!!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
So funny to see someone refer to 60 as old age. my grandma passed away a year ago at 104.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry, no offense intended. Old at 60 being relative!!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
So funny to see someone refer to 60 as old age. my grandma passed away a year ago at 104.
I am on my way. Believe me, if I hadn't found and started following Perfect Health, I think I would feel much older!

Okay, friends, I have been studying greens and trying to come up with more variety to my green smoothie and salads. Plus I want to grow a variety of greens this summer. Does anyone like watercress?

I have not used it much, but found that watercress is a Superfood, in that it fights cancer quite well.

Quote:
Eating watercress daily can significantly reduce DNA damage to blood cells, which is considered to be an important trigger in the development of cancer, University of Ulster scientists revealed today (15 February).

The research, published in this month's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that in addition to reducing DNA damage, a daily portion of watercress also increased the ability of those cells to resist further DNA damage caused by free radicals**.
Watercress: Anti-Cancer Superfood
Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

Okay, friends, I have been studying greens and trying to come up with more variety to my green smoothie and salads. Plus I want to grow a variety of greens this summer. Does anyone like watercress?
I've never used it fresh but it was a key component to a powdered mix I used a while back, and I loved the mix. But it was $$$$$ and I was on a tight budget at the time, could not afford to replace the bin once it was gone.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Bev,

Wow, I am horrified by the karo syrup/evap milk. Good grief. Who knows what mine was. My parents were poor, I know, yet my mom did not breast feed because they didn't do that back then.

I am so sorry about the macular degeneration.

One of the most delicious things I have ever had was saffron rice. I don't know how it was made; it was a restaurant dish. I might try the congee recipe with saffron and tumeric.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Yep my formula was Karo, Pet Brand Milk & water. As i grew up, my Mom would put it on our cereal. Yuck. We would visit my Grandma in the country, she had cows, and I refused to drink the milk even with ice and sugar in it. I guess in the 1950's women were told breast feeding was old fashioned and unnecessary for a healthy baby. None of us kids were breast fed. Both of my older brothers were dead before 60, one at 40 the other at 58. My Mom died when she was 59. I'm 57 and barely hanging on by my toes. Talk about having a big chip on my shoulder. I fed/feed my children and grandchildren better than I was, they were never required to clean their plates or eat food that they truly hated. I think that's cruel, making anyone eat what they don't like. There are so many good healthy foods to eat instead.
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
I think that's cruel, making anyone eat what they don't like. There are so many good healthy foods to eat instead.
What an amazingly insightful statement! Who doesn't remember having to sit at the table until it was gone?! I don't make my son eat something he doesn't like but I've never consciously thought about it like this, that its actually cruel.

Thank you for putting words to this.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Thanks Yennie, I don't know how insightful it is but I remember being forced to eat liver, against my will. I thought it was cruel then and I guess I still do. With all the different vegetables available or cuts of meat, why would anyone force someone to eat something truly heinous to them? Thank goodness we are so much more informed about nutrients and realize we can get them in a lot of different places. Iron comes from other places than just liver....

This whole discussion is interesting to me. It had to be the "thing" of the era to make kids eat peas, or carrots or brussel sprouts for their "own good".
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thinking back, I remember even at a very young age, that I did find veggies and most specifically cauli, spinach, brocolli, & green beans to be such a treat. This is miraculous because we ate TV dinners, canned tuna, and fast food regularly. I thought going to eat at my friend's home or my aunts was so special. Also, after church Dad would take us to a Steak House, Furr's or Luby's which was especially wonderful, because I was allowed lots of veggies. I am very thankful to have developed this love for veggies.

My close friend who can't and won't try PHD has always told me that she wished she could eat green veggies. She just can't. She wants desperately to lose weight, but fails at anything I suggest that involves whole foods. She lost well with Jenny Craig a few years ago, but it was typically eating everything out of a box that was delivered to her door. The only problem is that when she stopped eating Jenny foods, she began to gain the weight back. I explained JUDDD and she found she couldn't fast alternate days, so I told her about the tater hack. She thought she might could do it, but then when I told her no fat or sugar, she was deflated. She was the baby of the family and was allowed to eat fast food, mac n cheese, ice cream daily. She said that she never ate veggies or for that matter whole foods. She knows that her picky palate is the reason that she is overweight. I have told her that I will get her started, but unfortunately, she says that she will not follow through. We have talked at length and she agrees that it is psychological, but she is at a loss of what it will take? She has finally asked her doctor to let her try the new diet pill, "Qsymia" which is Topomax and Wellbutrin combined. It is not the answer and she knows it, but it is helping some.

Last edited by sunday; 04-28-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Another drive-by posting (the house goes on the market today and, hopefully, I start having a little free time).

Oh, your 'Mother' reminiscences do take me back. I was a skinny tomboy until puberty struck. By the time I was thirteen, college age guys were hitting on me and the standard answer for 'guess my age' was twenty-four. I added several very funny stories to the family repertoire.

Anyway, I remember I was fifteen and Mother measured me for a dress she was going to make. She said, "36-22-36. That was a nice figure in the 40's and 50's but these days fashion wants a much smaller profile. You need to lose at least 20 pounds or you will always look fat." I was fifteen, dumb as a bagful of hammers, and believed her totally.

My sister's theory is Mother, who was a stop-traffic little Vivian Leigh type, was in competition with me. I suspect my sister is right.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bev,
I forgot about your early signs of macular degeneration, but I just happened on this article yesterday and it is worth a look at.

Several studies in recent years have indicated saffron may hold a natural treatment for this debilitating disorder.
THANK YOU!! I have been feeling so down about this and doing something makes me feel better. I have two bottles of optimized saffron that I bought to curb my carb cravings. I stopped taking them (for whatever reason I do that!). I am hoping that works. I will take it daily. Thank you for your concern and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I don't mean to make it sound like she was terrible, as I said, my mom is a pretty great person otherwise, just has a very skewed view of health & weight, and since I didn't fit her ideal, I had to hear about it. She's gotten some flack too, from the people in her life. Her husband, for example, requested that she no longer wear sleeveless tops since her upper arms aren't tone. Bearing in mind she is not fat at all, just a little jiggly in places because, well, she's 60 and isn't a body builder! So he said she either needed to tone or stop wearing tanks. Wow!
She used to tell me, when I first got married, that if I wasn't skinny my husband would cheat on me/leave me. I finally told him she was saying that, he called her out on it and she hasn't said anything about my weight since he told her to stuff it. Although she is very positive & complimentary about my current weight loss. I think she's adjusting her views in her old age as well - going more for health than appearances too.
Most of us get there in the end, just takes some longer than others.
Ok - done complaining about my mom. Thanks for listening!!!
I think your mom and mine are sisters! But I also can't imagine her husband telling her to stop wearing tanks or tone up! I wish we all didn't judge others looks and bodies so much. But we are conditioned that way, and I include myself in that. I read that within 2 minutes of a woman walking into a room of other people, she has already taken inventory to see where she ranks among the others in thinness. Yikes. I do walk into a room and hope I am not the fattest. Kristin could do an interesting film on all of this!!

Quote:
I am on my way. Believe me, if I hadn't found and started following Perfect Health, I think I would feel much older!

I have not used it much, but found that watercress is a Superfood, in that it fights cancer quite well.

It's slightly bitter right? I am not even sure if I can recall the taste. Sounds like a good thing to add to the smoothie. What do you use for your liquid in your smoothie? Do you use coconut milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Bev,

Wow, I am horrified by the karo syrup/evap milk. Good grief. Who knows what mine was. My parents were poor, I know, yet my mom did not breast feed because they didn't do that back then.

I am so sorry about the macular degeneration.

One of the most delicious things I have ever had was saffron rice. I don't know how it was made; it was a restaurant dish. I might try the congee recipe with saffron and tumeric.
Thanks for the hugs. I need them. My mom breast fed my older brother and two younger sisters, but not me. When I looked up about this "formula" I saw it related to eczema in a lot of children. Yep, I got that too. Saffron rice sounds yummy!!

Quote:
Yep my formula was Karo, Pet Brand Milk & water. As i grew up, my Mom would put it on our cereal. Yuck. We would visit my Grandma in the country, she had cows, and I refused to drink the milk even with ice and sugar in it. I guess in the 1950's women were told breast feeding was old fashioned and unnecessary for a healthy baby. None of us kids were breast fed. Both of my older brothers were dead before 60, one at 40 the other at 58. My Mom died when she was 59. I'm 57 and barely hanging on by my toes. Talk about having a big chip on my shoulder. I fed/feed my children and grandchildren better than I was, they were never required to clean their plates or eat food that they truly hated. I think that's cruel, making anyone eat what they don't like. There are so many good healthy foods to eat instead.
Oh my goodness Blonde!! You have had to deal with so much early death! MAJOR hugs go out to you!!

Quote:
Thanks Yennie, I don't know how insightful it is but I remember being forced to eat liver, against my will. I thought it was cruel then and I guess I still do. With all the different vegetables available or cuts of meat, why would anyone force someone to eat something truly heinous to them? Thank goodness we are so much more informed about nutrients and realize we can get them in a lot of different places. Iron comes from other places than just liver....

This whole discussion is interesting to me. It had to be the "thing" of the era to make kids eat peas, or carrots or brussel sprouts for their "own good".
Exactly. I was forced to eat liver too. I detested the smell, the texture- everything about it. Everyone had left the table and I sat at the table in my high chair with my plastic apron on, refusing to eat it. It may have been my imagination, but I remember doing it for long periods of time while I sat there crying. Beyond cruel!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Another drive-by posting (the house goes on the market today and, hopefully, I start having a little free time).

Oh, your 'Mother' reminiscences do take me back. I was a skinny tomboy until puberty struck. By the time I was thirteen, college age guys were hitting on me and the standard answer for 'guess my age' was twenty-four. I added several very funny stories to the family repertoire.

Anyway, I remember I was fifteen and Mother measured me for a dress she was going to make. She said, "36-22-36. That was a nice figure in the 40's and 50's but these days fashion wants a much smaller profile. You need to lose at least 20 pounds or you will always look fat." I was fifteen, dumb as a bagful of hammers, and believed her totally.

My sister's theory is Mother, who was a stop-traffic little Vivian Leigh type, was in competition with me. I suspect my sister is right.
The mother-daughter relationship is an interesting one, that's for sure! What I would give to be 36-22-36!!! Va-va- voom Nancy!!! Good luck with the house!

I am trying to eat as nutrient dense a diet as possible. Yesterday I force fed myself some sardines!! I got the Wild Planet wild sardines in extra virgin olive oil. I heard other people love these, but then other people love liver too.
Any suggestions on how to eat these the least painful way?
Ounce for ounce they have more calcium and phosphorus than milk, more iron than spinach, more potassium than coconut water and bananas and as much protein as steak. It's a good source of EPA, DHA, Omega 3 and B12, Vit D, and selenium! Also CoQ10. How can I NOT eat these. They are really a powerhouse of nutrients.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev,

RE: sardines - hotsauce is your friend. If the taste isn't too horrible for you, maybe some soysauce/rice vinegar, rolled into sushi.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thinking back, I remember even at a very young age, that I did find veggies and most specifically cauli, spinach, brocolli, & green beans to be such a treat. This is miraculous because we ate TV dinners, canned tuna, and fast food regularly. I thought going to eat at my friend's home or my aunts was so special. Also, after church Dad would take us to a Steak House, Furr's or Luby's which was especially wonderful, because I was allowed lots of veggies. I am very thankful to have developed this love for veggies.

My close friend who can't and won't try PHD has always told me that she wished she could eat green veggies. She just can't. She wants desperately to lose weight, but fails at anything I suggest that involves whole foods. She lost well with Jenny Craig a few years ago, but it was typically eating everything out of a box that was delivered to her door. The only problem is that when she stopped eating Jenny foods, she began to gain the weight back. I explained JUDDD and she found she couldn't fast alternate days, so I told her about the tater hack. She thought she might could do it, but then when I told her no fat or sugar, she was deflated. She was the baby of the family and was allowed to eat fast food, mac n cheese, ice cream daily. She said that she never ate veggies or for that matter whole foods. She knows that her picky palate is the reason that she is overweight. I have told her that I will get her started, but unfortunately, she says that she will not follow through. We have talked at length and she agrees that it is psychological, but she is at a loss of what it will take? She has finally asked her doctor to let her try the new diet pill, "Qsymia" which is Topomax and Wellbutrin combined. It is not the answer and she knows it, but it is helping some.
I often think of an interview of (rock star) Meatloaf I saw on TV years ago. He had lost a lot of weight (not sure how much - looked like at least 50 pounds).

I was impressed by this statement - he said it was easier to get off the drugs than it was to lose the weight.

I think of using the boxed food plans like trying to get by on fewer cigarettes than you used to (how likely is this to work long term).

I used to try to help my friends and family. I have learned over the years that this is pretty futile, no matter how life threatening the situation.

We are rare birds indeed.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, It says in this article to take at least 20 mg of saffron daily. I am going to try this as well.

Saffron - pricey spice and vision restorer - RN First Bite - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

And the earlier that you being supplementing, the better the results.

Saffron Treatments for Macular Degeneration | Macular Degeneration Guide

KT,
You are right we are a rare birds. She and I have always fought our weight issues together (we work in same business) and she actually lost faster and more than I did the first time that we went on our own diet/exercise routine. Admittedly, I did gain some weight back after a few years. Beginning last year at this time, I have been steadily on the path to health although it be very slow. I just wish that she could find the right WOE for her own peace of mind.

Does anyone suffer with Sleep Apnea here? I suffered with it before I gained weight and have been through a sleep study in 05. I know that when I gained, it must have become worse over the time, although I ignored this as a health issue. Now I think I better get to work trying to solve this because I am fearful that it is affecting my memory.

Last edited by sunday; 04-29-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

You are very fortunate to love vegetables. I love most of them, usually with some butter or oil though. I am not as fond of greens however. I like salads if I can have lots of bad for me dressing on them. I used to take the Perfect Food pills to get greens in, but now I am able to put them in a good smoothie and get them in. Has your friend tried that? I love the frozen strawberry and coconut milk concoction with baby spinach in it. I can't even tell it is there. Maybe if she starts small she can develop her taste? Or like a little kid, maybe trying to get broccoli in with a bit of cheese sauce on it. Baby steps may be a way to introduce better foods a bit at a time. Putting veges in with foods she likes, like Mac and Cheese. Or zucchini lasagne.

Quote:
Bev,

RE: sardines - hotsauce is your friend. If the taste isn't too horrible for you, maybe some soysauce/rice vinegar, rolled into sushi.

Thanks for that tip. Makes me think I could also top with salsa. Good idea.

Quote:
I often think of an interview of (rock star) Meatloaf I saw on TV years ago. He had lost a lot of weight (not sure how much - looked like at least 50 pounds).

I was impressed by this statement - he said it was easier to get off the drugs than it was to lose the weight.

I think of using the boxed food plans like trying to get by on fewer cigarettes than you used to (how likely is this to work long term).

I used to try to help my friends and family. I have learned over the years that this is pretty futile, no matter how life threatening the situation.

We are rare birds indeed.
That's true.

I was talking to my BFF today. She went back to her mom's home to celebrate her 90th birthday. The three women siblings got together for the first time in 13 years. Her younger sister gained quite a bit of weight, and behind her back she was the continual source of discussion among the relatives. A discussion of distain. One person looked at her photo and said, "oh man, she got FAT.Disgusting!" Those kind of things just hit a nerve with me because I know somewhere I am also the source of that same discussion. I work at losing, boy do I ever! But it isn't as easy as so many people think. The phrase is always... just cut back on what you eat and you will be thin. Not. It is very complicated for some of us.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I was talking to my BFF today. She went back to her mom's home to celebrate her 90th birthday. The three women siblings got together for the first time in 13 years. Her younger sister gained quite a bit of weight, and behind her back she was the continual source of discussion among the relatives. A discussion of distain. One person looked at her photo and said, "oh man, she got FAT.Disgusting!" Those kind of things just hit a nerve with me because I know somewhere I am also the source of that same discussion. I work at losing, boy do I ever! But it isn't as easy as so many people think. The phrase is always... just cut back on what you eat and you will be thin. Not. It is very complicated for some of us.
Bev, I am sorry to hear this. I know this happened to me and I believe it kept me from enjoying family get togethers. I remember thinking if family will talk, then what do friends/acquaintances say?

I would love to know the answers. It isn't easy and it appears that it will be a constant struggle which makes one think, does losing the weight fix anything internally? I know that it is healthier, but it seems that is always going to be a job to maintain.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bev, I am sorry to hear this. I know this happened to me and I believe it kept me from enjoying family get togethers. I remember thinking if family will talk, then what do friends/acquaintances say?

I would love to know the answers. It isn't easy and it appears that it will be a constant struggle which makes one think, does losing the weight fix anything internally? I know that it is healthier, but it seems that is always going to be a job to maintain.
Same with me. I have actually avoided family functions because of it. How sad is that. People say, just get over it and don't let it impact your life that way, but it does. I am working on it, but I am pretty old now and a lot of that is difficult to change. The emotional-physical connection is powerful. What I would like, is to just feel at peace about my weight
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev,

I have been wanting to do another tater hack, but I keep telling myself maybe tomo. I just don't feel like restriction yet. Getting ready to work outside much, much more and I know this will make me hungry. I work up an appetite pretty easily.

Have you located a saffron supplement? I have been searching and thought it would be easy, but there are many different types. I guess Dr. Oz did a whole show on health benefits of Saffron. I looked at the saffron tea and it is pretty expensive, plus you don't have a method to know if you are getting the right amount daily?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bev,

I have been wanting to do another tater hack, but I keep telling myself maybe tomo. I just don't feel like restriction yet. Getting ready to work outside much, much more and I know this will make me hungry. I work up an appetite pretty easily.

Have you located a saffron supplement? I have been searching and thought it would be easy, but there are many different types. I guess Dr. Oz did a whole show on health benefits of Saffron. I looked at the saffron tea and it is pretty expensive, plus you don't have a method to know if you are getting the right amount daily?
Not wanting to do it is probably a sign your body is not ready yet for the restriction. I think listening to our internal voices is important.

I had the optimized saffron from Life Xtension. I was using that to curb carb cravings. I have two bottles, so I think I will start with that. It is not miracle appetite suppressant. I didn't think it would be. But I thought maybe it would work for the eyes? I remember Dr Oz talking about saffron extract, but I don't think he recommends brands. Please let me know what you find. The study said that there wasn't a supplement for saffron, so I am confused.

I read another place: Crocetin prevents retinal degeneration induced by oxidative and endoplasmic reticulum stresses via inhibition of caspase activity.

Crocetin is a carotenoid that is the aglicone of crocin, which are found in saffron stigmas (Crocus sativus L.) and gardenia fruit (Gardenia jasminoides Ellis). In this study, we investigated the effects of crocetin on retinal damage. To examine whether crocetin affects stress pathways, we investigated intracellular oxidation induced by reactive oxygen species, expression of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress-related proteins, disruption of the mitochondrial membrane potential ((m)), and caspases activation. In vitro, we employed cultured retinal ganglion cells (RGC-5, a mouse ganglion cell-line transformed using E1A virus). Cell damage was induced by tunicamycin or hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) exposure. Crocetin at a concentration of 3μM showed the inhibitory effect of 50-60% against tunicamycin- and H(2)O(2)-induced cell death and inhibited increase in caspase-3 and -9 activity. Moreover, crocetin inhibited the enzymatic activity of caspase-9 in a cell-free system. In vivo, retinal damage in mice was induced by exposure to white light at 8000lx for 3h after dark adaptation. Photoreceptor damage was evaluated by measuring the outer nuclear layer thickness at 5days after light exposure and recording the electroretinogram (ERG). Retinal cell damage was also detected with Terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase dUTP nick end labeling (TUNEL) staining at 48h after light exposure. Crocetin at 100mg/kg, p.o. significantly inhibited photoreceptor degeneration and retinal dysfunction and halved the expression of TUNEL-positive cells. These results indicate that crocetin has protective effects against retinal damage in vitro and in vivo, suggesting that the mechanism may inhibit increase in caspase-3 and -9 activities after retinal damage.

Eur J Pharmacol. 2011 Jan 10;650(1):110

I just read that watercress is good for macular degeneration and you JUST posted about it. I looked at the store today for it and couldn't find it at Sprouts or Frazier Farms. Is it seasonal in the stores?

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-29-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting! I just found the watercress at Sprouts as a matter of fact.
I had to ask the stocking person and it was sort of hidden amongst all of the veggies. I wish Sprouts would have a bit more area for veggies. It seems like everything is on top of each other. I saw a saffron tea from Persia, but I always try to watch myself, because I tend to buy a lot of teas that I never drink. Plus, not sure if it is as beneficial. On the river site, they have the extract in a liquid form as well as the Life Extension brand. I will be glad to give it a whirl and will let you know if I notice anything. On the one site, it said that Saffron is also used for depression as well as anti-cancer.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
THANK YOU!! I have been feeling so down about this and doing something makes me feel better. I have two bottles of optimized saffron that I bought to curb my carb cravings. I stopped taking them (for whatever reason I do that!). I am hoping that works. I will take it daily. Thank you for your concern and help.

I think your mom and mine are sisters! But I also can't imagine her husband telling her to stop wearing tanks or tone up! I wish we all didn't judge others looks and bodies so much. But we are conditioned that way, and I include myself in that. I read that within 2 minutes of a woman walking into a room of other people, she has already taken inventory to see where she ranks among the others in thinness. Yikes. I do walk into a room and hope I am not the fattest. Kristin could do an interesting film on all of this!!

It's slightly bitter right? I am not even sure if I can recall the taste. Sounds like a good thing to add to the smoothie. What do you use for your liquid in your smoothie? Do you use coconut milk?

Thanks for the hugs. I need them. My mom breast fed my older brother and two younger sisters, but not me. When I looked up about this "formula" I saw it related to eczema in a lot of children. Yep, I got that too. Saffron rice sounds yummy!!

Oh my goodness Blonde!! You have had to deal with so much early death! MAJOR hugs go out to you!!

Exactly. I was forced to eat liver too. I detested the smell, the texture- everything about it. Everyone had left the table and I sat at the table in my high chair with my plastic apron on, refusing to eat it. It may have been my imagination, but I remember doing it for long periods of time while I sat there crying. Beyond cruel!!

The mother-daughter relationship is an interesting one, that's for sure! What I would give to be 36-22-36!!! Va-va- voom Nancy!!! Good luck with the house!

I am trying to eat as nutrient dense a diet as possible. Yesterday I force fed myself some sardines!! I got the Wild Planet wild sardines in extra virgin olive oil. I heard other people love these, but then other people love liver too.
Any suggestions on how to eat these the least painful way?
Ounce for ounce they have more calcium and phosphorus than milk, more iron than spinach, more potassium than coconut water and bananas and as much protein as steak. It's a good source of EPA, DHA, Omega 3 and B12, Vit D, and selenium! Also CoQ10. How can I NOT eat these. They are really a powerhouse of nutrients.

Hey Beverly, hope you don't mind that I hijacked part of your post for mine on NK 80/15/5 . Love the info on sardines. A doctor told us once that if you had to be shipwrecked on an island, sardines would be the food to take. Inexpensive, tastes acceptable and oh so easy to open the can.
I have been a lurker for a while and even tried the potato hack and really loved it. But no weight loss. But then most other diets don't work either. I'm so impressed with this site. The love and caring for each other is inspiring. Keep it up!!
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Yeah Sunday, someone on my site said the best way to eat sardines is mashed up with an avocado and mayo. Sounds like something I want to try.
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

I've been looking into the saffron supplements for my mom who's eyes are about as messed up as they come. She's got macular degeneration, myopia, already had cataract surgery & they're already talking another, stretched retina...the list of what isn't wrong is shorter.
I like the one I found at saffron2020. First, I'm concerned that since saffron was on Dr Oz as yet another one of his miracle weight loss cures, many of the supplements touting Oz-like effects will be substandard and geared towards just making a quick buck. This one I've found appears to be more geared towards eye health and has some additional eye-healthy nutrients in it.
Having said that, its expensive and I believe comes from Britain. At least the currency is, if I recall correctly, pounds. Since she & I live in the USA we have the international shipping issue to contend with as well.
20mg is the recommended dose.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Sardines and avocado. That sounds good. Will try it today.
Going to a movie theatre today to watch myself get shot in the head by Bill Paxton in something called The Colony. Post-apocalyptic-Laurence-Fishburne-zombie-gory-perfect-for-the-thirteen-year-old-kid-in-your-life movie. Fun shoot: no lines but ten hours of being shot and falling over in a snow bank, which may translate to five or ten seconds on screen. Loved it.
Happy day everybody.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

K, Now this is something I have to see!

Please, please try and get us a glimpse!!!

I have been reading up more on the saffron and it seems that there has been a run on the supp due to Dr. Oz. I agree Jen, that anything he supports I am suspect of until I hear from "real" folks who have tried. I have been reading reviews and most of the people who bought it were looking for appetite suppression, but some said that you need to give it at least 7 days and you will definitely notice a boost in serotonin w/ good mood lift. Also, it seems that it is popular for taming PMS symptoms as well as insomnia.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I've been looking into the saffron supplements for my mom who's eyes are about as messed up as they come. She's got macular degeneration, myopia, already had cataract surgery & they're already talking another, stretched retina...the list of what isn't wrong is shorter.
I like the one I found at saffron2020. First, I'm concerned that since saffron was on Dr Oz as yet another one of his miracle weight loss cures, many of the supplements touting Oz-like effects will be substandard and geared towards just making a quick buck. This one I've found appears to be more geared towards eye health and has some additional eye-healthy nutrients in it.
Having said that, its expensive and I believe comes from Britain. At least the currency is, if I recall correctly, pounds. Since she & I live in the USA we have the international shipping issue to contend with as well.
20mg is the recommended dose.
I just read about this and it does sound like a good one. I like that it says: Each capsule of Saffron 2020 contains 20 mg of high quality saffron as used in the European study. Our saffron is harvested by hand to ensure premium quality. Maybe I will get some and try it. My eyesight is priceless.

They are limiting the amount you can buy.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-30-2013 at 08:29 AM..