Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
sjs
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sjs
WOE: cyclical ketogenic diet - 10g carbs mon-fri
anyone tried 5 days on, 2 days off?

I started off getting into ketosis, staying with under 10g a day for about 5-6 weeks then I stalled, took a weekend off, and that really helped. Not only did I get some energy back, I think it helped me lose more weight

At the moment I'm experimenting with this type of plan:

mon-fri: low carb, under 10g per day

mon-sat: 45 mins cycling, 20 mins weights

sat & sun: high carb

It seems to be doing ok and is more social for sure. It's something like a carb cycling or anabolic diet and as far as I know (and feel) I remain in ketosis (because I was solidly in ketosis from the first few weeks)

Anyone tried anything like this? Think I should keep going with it? Anyone else do a 5 days on, 2 days off to keep the metabolism guessing and find results?

thanks!
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
sjs
Junior LCF Member

5 on 2 off

anyone else do 5 days on LC, 2 days off?

I've been trying it, with 6 days of cardio and weights too. I seem to stay in ketosis as I did 5-6 weeks of pure LC to begin with. I suppose it's like a carb cycle diet. Anyone else see results this way?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
I haven't heard of it before, can you tell me more about it?
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: VictoriaLynn
Stats: 5'2'' 366.4/284/130
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: January 21, 2013
I did it a long time ago and it worked for me. Except I only ate high carb 1 day instead of 2. I did lose 48 lbs doing it. Things happened in my life and gained it back and much more. Doing it a different way this time around, but it did work for me.
VictoriaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaLynn View Post
I did it a long time ago and it worked for me. Except I only ate high carb 1 day instead of 2. I did lose 48 lbs doing it. Things happened in my life and gained it back and much more. Doing it a different way this time around, but it did work for me.
I am trying it with 1 day a week as well. Only just trying it now as really struggling with 7 day low carbs. Will see how it works.
focus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
sjs
Junior LCF Member

the more I've been reading, what I'm doing is more like the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet. I mean, I eat less during the week though that bodybuilders do and I'm sure I lift less. weights are part of my daily workout anyway though along with cardio.

I keep a journal and have noticed that my worst day is thursdays when I get really neurotic. I feel tired from working out, but also guilty about the coming carb up

On the CKD you really need to carb up during the weekend or your muscles have nothing to recoup with. I'm no bodybuilder but I reckon if I'm going to shape up I need my muscle too! Also the more muscle, the more you burn.

I found I just stall both physically and mentally on low carb for more than about 6 weeks without some changes

it's thursday today so I'm not at all sure how I'm doing!

maybe my biggest failing is I don't use scales, I go by how my clothes are fitting! After all, if you're building muscle, and I see a weight gain, I will beat myself up about it, even if it is because of muscle.

I find by day 2 of carb up it's actually a chore, but I almost fast during the week so I need it. Hoping it works! it's about what works for you I guess

I just wonder how long it takes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
sjs
Junior LCF Member

I find a spike in carbs can help the metabolism and I have to say, I can see how it can become a lifestyle. on pure low carb, I'm always waiting until I am at goal then I go and gain it all back during the year.

I'm trying to see carb up days as what I need to build the muscle I enjoy building.

I keep telling myself to just stick to SOMETHING, that's got to be worth something right?!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/182/183 (173?)
WOE: JUDDD/CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
how many inches have you lost, in what amount of time? I'm curious how it's worked for you.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-13-2013 at 10:44 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
sjs
Junior LCF Member

I wish I could give an answer but I have gone down a couple of jeans sizes in maybe 2-3 months? is that good progress? I don't know
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

so hard to know without knowing pounds (or stones). a couple of jeans sizes sounds great. congrats on that!

i'm constantly tweaking things. this whole idea intrigues me cause i find carb counting so easy, and with a weekend off, it does sound like a great idea to keep from feeling deprived.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
sjs
Junior LCF Member

I think you're right. the 'deprived' feeling has to be one of the worst. for me I sacrifice my weekdays where I almost fast, eat very little (but that works for me as I just see eating as a distraction during the working day) to gain weekends of 'freedom'. to be honest, the more I've done it, and the more comfortable I am with it as a way of life, I tend not to binge at all. I eat around 12noon on saturdays and on sundays snack more than have meals.

also with the carb weekends, I can build muscle during the week which I like to do and it makes me feel better and stronger.

hope it goes well for you too!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stash'sWife
WOE: Long-time VLC now trying JUDD
Start Date: April 2013
I am doing the Carb Nite Solution. It is like your plan but one day off per week. Also the author is very against intense cardio on the program. I may add weights in eventually but am not in any hurry to do so; I want to see how the plan works first.

I have only been on plan for 16 days, so it is too early to comment.

I am no stranger to VLC. I have found it refreshing to be able to say "not right now" instead of "never again". I am still in a phase of "quasi paranoia" about the carb nites, though I do think I am getting some results. We shall see.
Proverbs 15:17
Stash'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

i started something different. i'm doing vlc monday-friday, with my weekends between 1800-2000 (<100 carbs), which averages out about 1300 calories per day. i know i'll gain some of what i've lost during these two off days, but i'm hoping to see an overall loss. i've really enjoyed it! the first day was HARD, but i allowed myself to eat all i wanted, which helped! the rest of these days are super easy because i'm not hungry.

i have had some nuts, flax, cheese, but my carbs are around 5 grams. i do use restraint, trying to keep calories at 1000-1200 for my down days.

i've lost a few pounds, so i'm pretty happy. i figure that i'll count the weight on saturdays, because they'll be the lowest. not entirely accurate, but it'll be more encouraging. i'll be watching for a downward slope.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash'sWife View Post
I am doing the Carb Nite Solution. It is like your plan but one day off per week. Also the author is very against intense cardio on the program. I may add weights in eventually but am not in any hurry to do so; I want to see how the plan works first.

I have only been on plan for 16 days, so it is too early to comment.

I am no stranger to VLC. I have found it refreshing to be able to say "not right now" instead of "never again". I am still in a phase of "quasi paranoia" about the carb nites, though I do think I am getting some results. We shall see.
i'm wondering how things went for you overall with this plan? intrigued, i looked up how this works. i may try this if my system doesn't result in losses.