Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: haraaz
VLCD shakes and low carb?

Hi

I've checked most of the very low calorie diet shakes available and most of them have got a pretty low carb count, about 40 grams a day (if having 3 shakes). But wouldn't the body get in starvation mode as there is almost no protein and fat? Would it be a good idea to combine 3 shakes a day with, for example, some turkish yoghurt and an egg? What do you think?
haraaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
If you're going to use shakes as you're main source of nutrition, you need protein/meal replacement shakes, not "diet shakes".
Look at netrition (site sponsor) and check out the nutritional values on products like this: Met-Rx 100% Ultramyosyn Whey Powder instead of slimfast and "diet" shakes that can typically have less than 10g protein (and a lot more carbs) than a real meal replacement shake.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fuffs
Stats: 385/224/189
WOE: Low Carb & WLS
Start Date: April 2011
I have done Exante Shakes and Cambridge Shakes. You do go into ketosis, so my hunger died. On Exante I had a shake, a bar and a soup x
Fuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: haraaz
Hey, thanks for your replies.

Dottie: Well, I heard too much protein is bad for you? I was thinking that it would porbably be better (and cheaper) with a protein shake than a diet shake, but if I was to take like 3 shakes a day wouldn't I get too much protein? Especially if I combine it with eating some eggs, yoghurt or meat?

Fuffs: Well yeah of course you do go into ketosis since there are such a small amount of carbs in the shakes, so that's good... Do you think the results would be ruined if I ate some fat too, to feel fuller?

I'm also worried about gaining back weight once I stop the shakes. I was thinking, if I eat some regular food alongside the shakes, like eggs, meat, yoghurt etc, I figure my body would probably not think it's starving so do you guys think it would make me not gain back as much weight, once I stop with the shakes?
haraaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
The best thing to do would be to plan out what you expect to eat/drink and see where you stand as far as calories, carbs and protein.
This link has a link to some tools that can help you keep track:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...available.html
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
I drink AdvantEdge Shakes, EAS brand, sold at walmart and Sam's. It has 17 g of protein and 3 net grams of carbs with 110 calories.
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fuffs
Stats: 385/224/189
WOE: Low Carb & WLS
Start Date: April 2011
For meal replacement, the shake has to provide enough vitamins for a meal. Marked MRP.

I guess you could add fat. I totally lost my hunger after 3-4 days so didn't need to.

Some do Mrp with a high protein meal for dinner. I think that's better. As refeed week caused the worst gallstone attacks ever (I had them already). Ended up in hospital the 6th night x
Fuffs is offline   Reply With Quote