Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #121
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Thanks for the welcomes.

One night down and it went OK.

We finished a nice dinner about 7:30, I had a couple pieces of toffee and that was that. I sometimes go to bed to read or watch videos to avoid snacking, but I stayed out in the family room.

I am calling it a win.

I am doing a low cal day today and we will see how tonight goes. I feel "empty" but not really hungry.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.6/?
WOE: lc
Does getting into ketosis stop the binges/overeating for anyone? I am beyond frustrated right now!!!!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #123
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Does getting into ketosis stop the binges/overeating for anyone? I am beyond frustrated right now!!!!
Jean, here is a thought....maybe LC is not for you? You seem to have problems, if I remember correctly staying on a LC plan. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, I sometimes get people and their post mixed up.

I just know LCing makes me really hungry and I then tend to binge on LC foods to try to get that "full" feeling. I need carbs to feel full, just the way it works for me. Not junk carbs but good carbs; whole grains, fruit, veggies, and brown rice.

Just a thought and a for you.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 03-25-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
Quote:
Jeanie- As you can see, we are all different. What works for Linda, would not work for me. When I eat very low carb, I am in control. That being said, if it is PMS time and I try to go low carb then, I find it very difficult. If you are having hormonal binge now, try to go VLC, if you can. It may help. I find it hard to do during the binging time, but it is possible. The worst thing is to feed that carb monster because he will ask for more and more. Try to fight that monster with more protein and fat

I am experimenting now to see if doing VLC now will get me through my next PMS. I hope if I have 2 VLC weeks under the belt, I can win the next PMS battle. Let's see how it goes.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 03-26-2013 at 04:11 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #125
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Jeanie I don't know the chemical/brain aspects of it, but I know if I feel deprived, at all, I will binge. So IMO, if you're feeling deprived on low-carb, then it may be part of the problem.
Hugs and I hope you find your answers. I hope we all can!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #126
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post

One thing I know I need to do is start planning more meals for the weekends. We tend to eat out a lot, which is fine, but when we are home I don't have anything planned and then we end up snacking on chips and junk and never really eat a meal. This needs to change because it causes me to gain any weight I might have lost over the week.
This has been a problem in our house too. We do eat dinner out a lot on the weekends (which I can deal with) - but it's breakfast and lunch where I fall down. I've been cooking a batch of poached chicken breasts to have in the house with salad for me or sandwich for my husband. It's already cooked and ready to go. Sometimes I don't eat anything but a yogurt until 10:30 or 11 on a Saturday, so by the time I exercise, do some chores, shower up - I am ravenous. So I make a gigantic salad with chicken and other veggies, which fills me up until dinner.

Well, gang, I have to say that I am feeling really good about things. I have not had a single night-time snack for over two weeks. I can't say I have conquered it yet (will I ever be able to say that?? ) but it's getting easier every day!!

The scale is staying the same so far this week. But hopefully by my "official" weigh-in day on Friday, I will see some downward movement.

Dottie, it is interesting when your mind/body feels deprived, it makes you want to eat with gusto! Back to the weekend thing above, sometimes that would happen to me on a Saturday afternoon after skipping too many meals and no matter what I ate - I wasn't feeling (physically or mentally) full. All I know is, I cannot skip meals. I need to eat on a very regular basis.

Have a great day everyone!

2014 Running Miles: 366
2014 Walking Miles: 308
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I've found that when I go shopping, I just come home and immediately portion and chop everything. I put it into containers or bags and it's so easy to just grab it. I make my portions smaller for those special "treats" so that I feel like I'm getting something good, but it's actually only a carb or two per portion. Eating LC does help keep me from binging at night, as long as I can follow it closely. I know there are some people here that amaze me with how they know to keep their protein and fat percentages at certain numbers, or that raising or lowering a percentage or two really helps. I don't know about all that, nor would I know which way to start moving things. Anyway, I found a few things at my local health food store that I portioned out. Cassava root chips are my new favorite thing. I put a few chips in a bag, grab a protein shake, take my butt all the way to the opposite site of the house than the kitchen, and get on here so I don't start eating. Weekends are indeed harder, but I do get a splurge on Friday nights and fast most of Saturday and Sunday at this point. If I get ahead on the things that have to be done, it saves time later and I get to prepare better meals. I'm generally trying to slow my life down and relax more. I work hard. I deserve down time. My kids and I have gotten into the habit of playing on this into playground during the winter on Sunday afternoons after I work. When we go, I take a bottle of water and a protein bar. I was unable to eat the whole bar on Sunday. I ate half and was satisfied. I don't know why, but this works for me right now. I keep making myself eat eggs and that seems to help, too. I'm just rambling now! :-)

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Jean, here is a thought....maybe LC is not for you? You seem to have problems, if I remember correctly staying on a LC plan. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, I sometimes get people and their post mixed up.

I just know LCing makes me really hungry and I then tend to binge on LC foods to try to get that "full" feeling. I need carbs to feel full, just the way it works for me. Not junk carbs but good carbs; whole grains, fruit, veggies, and brown rice.

Just a thought and a for you.
I have trouble staying on any plan these days, but in the past ketosis via very low carb does work the best for killing the cravings, the thing is I can't seem to get into ketosis due to the binging.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #129
GME

Last night could have been better, but could have been worse.

I ate dinner at Chipotle while out shopping and running errands, then brought a Costco pizza home for the kids. That was supposed to be that, but I wound up scraping the tops off two pieces of pizza (not so bad, toppings only), but then I ate two cookies practically on auto pilot.

My plan is to stay low calorie today, but I tried to eat more throughout the day and space small meal/snacks out so I don't get toooooo hungry at any time.

Cross your fingers for me.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Fingers crossed Gina
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #131
GME

Quote:
Fingers crossed Gina
Thanks

I had dinner and some sf jello & whipped cream. It is 7:30 and aside from my ice water, nothing passes these lips for the rest of the evening.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #132
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woo hoo!! 16 nights and counting - no night-time snacking.

I know I will probably "stumble" at some point, but right now, every night I go to bed a little bit hungry is a victory. Not to mention I see a direct correlation between the nights my stomach is growling when I go to sleep and seeing the scale go down in the morning. Totally worth it!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
I have trouble staying on any plan these days, but in the past ketosis via very low carb does work the best for killing the cravings, the thing is I can't seem to get into ketosis due to the binging.
Sorry you are going through this, it sounds frustrating. Maybe you need a break from dieting while you work on trying to avoid triggers for binging. I have trouble sticking to any diet if my head is not in the right place.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #134

Congrats to all of us!! I think we are ALL doing our best and that is half the battle won, I believe!

I am now 16 nights binge free! I just can't believe it!! I still have a bit of an issue on some days during the daytime with eating too much, but I can catch this when I see it's going to turn into a binge and stop it and THIS is wonderful!! Sometimes it takes a few "eaten when not really hungry" items but I'm recognizing it and so about this!

Went to my very first Passover Seder last night, invited by a friend! Of course I had to eat EVERYTHING on the table and the scale reminded me today! With 2 larger calorie days this week I'm up 1.6 pounds and keeping it low today to get back down under 155 around! I really LOATH 155!

Tomorrow is another day and moving toward another victory!!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamt View Post
Sorry you are going through this, it sounds frustrating. Maybe you need a break from dieting while you work on trying to avoid triggers for binging. I have trouble sticking to any diet if my head is not in the right place.
Jeannie, it was only when I decided NOT to diet that I finally got my binging to a manageable place where I could figure out my triggers and find tools to combat them!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Great job Gina, Liz and Linda

Jeanie- how are doing? Please check-in

I have been doing well, binge free for the past 6 days. Well, I was not really expecting to binge as I am in first half of my cycle
I am slowly losing the 12 lb I put on.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

Having a really good day here. I started the 5thp I had on hand but am waiting for the time released to come via mail. I haven't had much of an appetite today and have only eaten chicken and pork chops so far, got out for a nice run/walk and did an exercise dvd.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Having a really good day here. I started the 5thp I had on hand but am waiting for the time released to come via mail. I haven't had much of an appetite today and have only eaten chicken and pork chops so far, got out for a nice run/walk and did an exercise dvd.
Wonderful, Jeanie!!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #139

Quote:
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #140
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Nice work Jeanie, you can keep it going.

Gina, how did you do??

Me? We decided kind of last minute to go out for a light bite to eat and have a drink. It's been a stressful week at work for both of us. I had a chardonnay and chicken wings (no breading and a very light coating of sauce). BUT, alcohol always seems to fan the flames of night-time snacking. I am quite proud that I just stuck some sugar-free gum in my mouth and got through it.

Let's have a great day (and a better night ) Team NES!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks everyone for continuing to post and way to go on the successes!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #142
Administrator

I have a terrific husband. I was sick yesterday, bad enough that I had to call him to come home from work.
He did, of course, but he also ran out and picked up some chicken soup from my favorite restaurant while I was asleep, warmed it up and brought it to me in bed along with a cup of tea.
I had the chills so bad I could not get warm, so he had the house heat on around 80 degrees. I know he was uncomfortably hot, but he even came in and snuggled up with me to help and he was sweating but he stayed
He waited on me all day, including washing dishes lol. So a lot of the time he's an annoying PITA, but sometimes (well most of the time ).

Feeling better today and had the rest of the soup for breakfast.
Will see how the rest of the day goes since I really don't have an appetite at all.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #143
Big Yapper!!!!

Aww that Dottie!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emgee
Stats: 148/101.6/103
WOE: LC
Same experience

Quote:
I'm doing strict low carb for weight loss, but up until last week I was still eating too many calories at night and was tempted to binge on things like nuts or dark chocolate.

A couple of things have helped me with reducing the urge to overeat at night. I started taking pterostilbene during the day and changed my eating pattern to take in all my calories before 7:00 pm. Most of the time I don't even eat dinner now - just breakfast, lunch, and a snack. Yesterday I stopped eating at 4:00 pm and wasn't hungry until this morning!

I had terrible insomnia for months, and have been sleeping so much better the last few days. Some of the insomnia was due to worrying over my sick cat, who passed away from cancer on Monday, but I'm convinced the night eating did not help either.
I wanted to agree about the improved sleep. I had this experience as well with an earlier eating cut off time.
emgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Appetite is a funny thing. Tuesday and Wednesday I was not hungry at all when I woke up, so I ate a late breakfast and had dinner around 6 pm. Today I've eaten tuna salad & cheddar on a LC wrap and a dish of chocolate cream cheese mousse, all before noon. I'll probably eat some leftover pork roast and broccoli for dinner.

I haven't been tempted to snack at night, so that is going well. I tell myself that I'm done eating for the day after my last meal or snack and it seems to help.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #146
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dottie, hope you are feeling better soon! And you DO have a sweet husband.

Lisa, I've been doing the same thing. I just tell myself - this is your last meal of the day. Nothing after this. I am not saying it is easy every night, but so far, so good.

Last night my stomach was absolutely growling when I went to bed, my husband was laughing at me. But I did notice that when I went on my 5-mile run this morning, I was a little weak. I've always run on an empty stomach (probably because I had so much in it from the night before! ) But now I am thinking I should at least have some yogurt before I go - especially if I was really hungry the night before.

To those that celebrate Easter, I hope you have a wonderful holiday!!

P.S. I want some jelly beans so badly, but I know if I have 1, I will want 100 of them. So it will be just another thing that I just have to say NO to.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #147

Gallery: jiggles
I've been doing fairly good with not snacking at night. I have supper and then a little something sweet (I have not been able to give up sweets and don't think I ever will) but I don't continue to eat all evening like I usually do.

I did 2 DDs this week. One on Monday and the other was yesterday. Monday went fine. It usually isn't hard for me to eat less after a weekend. Yesterday was tough though and I had several thoughts of giving it up. I had a chicken breast and asparagus with a little light alfredo sauce for lunch. But in the afternoon I got a bad craving for a donut. There was none around luckily. I just had a chicken breast for dinner last night. I did have 2 mini peanut butter cups but I was able to control myself. I kept telling myself I just had to make it through the day.

I went to bed hungry and didn't sleep very well, but the scale said I was down 2 lbs. this morning. That was since last Saturday morning. So, I'm pretty happy with that. I'll be doing another week of 5:2 with really trying to control my snacking on the regular days and see what happens. I just wish that 2nd DD in the week wasn't so tough.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
We decided kind of last minute to go out for a light bite to eat and have a drink. It's been a stressful week at work for both of us. I had a chardonnay and chicken wings (no breading and a very light coating of sauce). BUT, alcohol always seems to fan the flames of night-time snacking. I am quite proud that I just stuck some sugar-free gum in my mouth and got through it.

Let's have a great day (and a better night ) Team NES!!!!
Funny with me that alcohol makes me not want to eat but I really hate the weigh gain the next day so I've decided to lay off my Saturday night fun until I'm closer to goal! Sounds like you are doing great, though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I have a terrific husband. I was sick yesterday, bad enough that I had to call him to come home from work.
He did, of course, but he also ran out and picked up some chicken soup from my favorite restaurant while I was asleep, warmed it up and brought it to me in bed along with a cup of tea.
I had the chills so bad I could not get warm, so he had the house heat on around 80 degrees. I know he was uncomfortably hot, but he even came in and snuggled up with me to help and he was sweating but he stayed
He waited on me all day, including washing dishes lol. So a lot of the time he's an annoying PITA, but sometimes (well most of the time ).

Feeling better today and had the rest of the soup for breakfast.
Will see how the rest of the day goes since I really don't have an appetite at all.
Glad you are feeling better and aren't our DHs the bomb sometimes?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I wanted to agree about the improved sleep. I had this experience as well with an earlier eating cut off time.
I have been sleeping better also, and actually pretty tired sooner at night without all the night time eating going on!

Quote:
Appetite is a funny thing. Tuesday and Wednesday I was not hungry at all when I woke up, so I ate a late breakfast and had dinner around 6 pm. Today I've eaten tuna salad & cheddar on a LC wrap and a dish of chocolate cream cheese mousse, all before noon. I'll probably eat some leftover pork roast and broccoli for dinner.

I haven't been tempted to snack at night, so that is going well. I tell myself that I'm done eating for the day after my last meal or snack and it seems to help.
I, too find the "hunger days" as I call them. Hormone, is my thinking! with they night time eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I've been doing fairly good with not snacking at night. I have supper and then a little something sweet (I have not been able to give up sweets and don't think I ever will) but I don't continue to eat all evening like I usually do.

I did 2 DDs this week. One on Monday and the other was yesterday. Monday went fine. It usually isn't hard for me to eat less after a weekend. Yesterday was tough though and I had several thoughts of giving it up. I had a chicken breast and asparagus with a little light alfredo sauce for lunch. But in the afternoon I got a bad craving for a donut. There was none around luckily. I just had a chicken breast for dinner last night. I did have 2 mini peanut butter cups but I was able to control myself. I kept telling myself I just had to make it through the day.

I went to bed hungry and didn't sleep very well, but the scale said I was down 2 lbs. this morning. That was since last Saturday morning. So, I'm pretty happy with that. I'll be doing another week of 5:2 with really trying to control my snacking on the regular days and see what happens. I just wish that 2nd DD in the week wasn't so tough.
Seems like 5:2 may be a fit for you so far! And congrats on the 2 lb lose!!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #149
Administrator

DH and I went out for breakfast this morning, so I'm eating light the rest of the day lol.
I ended up with a biscuit with sausage gravy, 2 eggs over easy and some coffee. Didn't want to push it too much, but it was really good. I don't make homemade biscuits, these were so tender it was like cutting into air. My best attempt at real homemade biscuits could be sold to the NHL as pucks!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #150

Since Tuesday I decided to stop counting calories and stop "dieting". I am just eating to hunger, only eating what I really am hungry for, and still not eating after 8:00 PM. Some days that stop time is pushed to 9:00 PM because of having to eat really early in the afternoon and not having anything else for hours until I get home. At those times I have one thing, something healthy, EXACTLY what I want and that is it.

I am down to 153.8 pounds today and was just amazed at the number on the scale. I had a McD's cheeseburger yesterday (I haven't had McDs in years and years) out of necessity because I was running late, going to work and hadn't had dinner yet, knowing I wouldn't be eating for hours and hours, and this was the ONLY choice within miles of where I was. The burger was fine, that is ALL I wanted so that is all I had, and it held me over until I got home for dinner. Dinner was light because I just wasn't hungry, and I have NO idea how many calories I ate yesterday, and I don't care!

Counting calories was causing a bad "head" and my thinking of eating all night again was coming back, especially if I saw I didn't eat enough calories that day! NOT going down that road again after 16 days no night binging!

I also just realized I was over thinking and obsessing about EVERYTHING; food, calories, exercise, weight, and on and on! NOT GOOD!!

I just can't "diet"; count, restrict, fasting, percentages, etc. anymore! It doesn't work for me, I'm finding. I am VERY mindful of what I'm eating, I watch for better choices, I am only eating half my meals when we go out as a rule even if I "think" I want more which I really don't, I'm stopping when I'm full even if it means I only ate 4 bites of my meal and I'm eating ONLY what I REALLY want not eating something just because I'm hungry. If I can't figure out what I REALLY want, I wait until I DO know what I want, then I only eat that! This is working, and so well I'm losing weight again and I'm VERY about this!

My goal is to see myself out of the 150s very soon!!

Last edited by Beeb; 03-29-2013 at 09:56 AM..