Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #301
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Thanks Marika. Glad you are doing well with JUDD. I think I am kind of JUDD-ing but not formally. I wrote my earlier post in a rush this morning and see that it doesn't make much sense, but after I have a carb day (the one hour) it is followed by a low calorie day until at least early evening so about 22-24 hours fasting. The morning after the carb days my weight has inched up less than a half pound or stayed the same. After the fast day I see a brand new low weight. I like this so much better as I truly feel that there is no way I will ever be able to eat low carb continuously. I have tried over and over and over again! At least this way I am eating the carbs intentionally and not binging impulsively which makes me feel bad about myself which leads me to try to be very strict low carb again until I ultimately binge again. I exercise and eat healthy most of the time so hopefully a carby treat/meal once or twice a week will not be harmful. .

Last edited by jeaniem; 06-24-2013 at 04:41 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #302
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Great, Jeanie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #303
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Gina- looks like you are doing well with your new plan. Keep up the good work girl. I would like to buy the fast fat book but it is only available in kindle version. I have not graduated to it yet
I was unhappy with that too. I like my cookbooks in paper form, but it is OK. They have kindle apps for phones, tablets and computers if you did want to read something.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #304
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
A dear friend sent this to me today and thought it was a good article to share with all of you! I see everyone here doing what they need to do and making it "stick" for now to help with our binging issues! Good job everyone and thanks for the inspiration I get every time I read a post! EVERYONE'S input is valuable, whether it's a some suggestion, experience or concern, they are ALL of value and appreciated!

4 Ways to Prevent a Late-Night Binge

Find out when you're probably jonesing for junk food the most--and how to curb the urge Find out when you're probably jonesing for junk food the most--and how to curb the urge When you're tempted to dive face-first into a bag of chips could be tied to your body's circadian rhythm: Cravings for sweet, salty, and starchy foods peak in the evening, when hunger levels are also at their highest, according to a new study in the journal Obesity.

Researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston kept 12 healthy people in a controlled lab environment to track how circadian rhythms impact food behaviors. What they found? Regardless of what time the subjects woke up or when they'd had their last meal, their desire for sweet, salty, and starchy foods peaked around 8 p.m., as did their feelings of hunger. The takeaway? Our body's internal clock has a pre-scheduled effect on our appetite, and it wants us to eat more in the evening.

While it's not clear why this happens, the researchers have a theory. "From an evolutionary perspective, it sort of makes sense," says senior study author Steven Shea, PhD, director of the Center for Research on Occupational and Environmental Toxicology at Oregon Health & Science University. When evolving humans faced periods of famine, those who could easily store their food as fat had a better chance of survival. As it turns out, our bodies are more likely to store food as fat when we stuff our faces in the p.m. instead of the a.m. In fact, previous research has shown that people who eat their largest meal in the morning lose more weight than people who save it for the end of the day--even if their overall calorie intake is the same, says Shea.

These days, binging late at night is no longer a handy survival mechanism--it's just unhealthy. Luckily, your circadian rhythms don't have to have the last word on when you're tempted to eat. Pam Peeke, MD, author of The Hunger Fix, suggests ways to beat back a powerful craving--or prevent it from happening at all.

Go to bed earlier
The study indicates that people are staying up later, when your hunger levels are at their peak. You may not be able to help being a night owl, depending on your work schedule, but whenever you can, try nipping this problem in the bud by going to bed earlier. That way you'll be asleep when your food cravings are at their strongest. Plus, research shows that just getting enough shuteye also helps you make healthier food choices throughout the day and lowers your risk of obesity.

Don't eat in front of the tube

When you plop yourself in front of the latest episode of Game of Thrones, don't let a bag of chips keep you company. You'll be so focused on what's happening on the screen, you may lose track of how much you're shoveling into your mouth. "Put yourself on red alert that this is the time when major overeating takes place," says Peeke. Instead of snacking while you watch, save TV for after dinner. Let it be your reward for polishing off a healthy meal.

Pop a stick of mint gum

This trick does triple-duty to curb cravings: Chewing gum keeps your mouth busy, it tastes good, and it signals to your brain that you're content. Just the act of chewing sends blood rushing to your hypothalamus, says Peeke, which causes your brain to release the feel-good chemical serotonin. Suddenly, demolishing a candy bar doesn't feel quite as necessary for your mental health. Sugar-free peppermint gum is best: According to research out of Wheeling Jesuit University, just the smell of peppermint can make you feel less hungry and consume fewer calories.

If you have to indulge, eat a small portion of a high-quality snack
You're not a robot. It's okay to give into the occasional craving now and then, says Peeke. Just limit your snack to 150 calories, and make it count. Instead of opting for the crappy chocolate bar at the checkout counter, try nibbling on a small piece of organic chocolate. It's more likely to contain high-powered antioxidants, and the strong chocolate-y taste will satisfy your sweet tooth, says Peeke. The same rule applies to any of your no-go foods: When you have to indulge, go ahead and treat yourself. Just go for high-quality and stick to small serving sizes.

Written by Amary Wiggin, Women's Health

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #305
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Nice article, Beeb! I am definitely in the gum chewing camp. It really does help.

I've been out of the loop here a bit. I just finished up 4 straight weeks (ugh!!) of business travel, but I am delighted to be home.

I am still working on conquering my late-night cravings. Last night I just went to bed because I was ready to eat everything in sight. And that paid off when I got on the scale this morning!

How's everyone else doing??
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #306
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Great article. I find it interesting that the 8:00 hungries have been scientifically proven. I feel a little less now.

I know for me the part about eating earlier leads to more weight loss is true. I can eat the same food in the same amounts and gain if I eat it at night and lose if I eat it all in the morning. I just can't make a habit of eating too early because if I don't go into the late evening full, all bets are off with the cookie jar.

I am still doing relatively well with my high fat plan (nutritional ketosis or NK). I did eat two gf chocolate chip cookies last night that my son and his girlfriend made. It was just two cookies though, not two cookies slathered in Nutella, or two cookies plus half the candy jar. I'll take small victories.

I am planning an early dinner tonight and then a trip to the park for a long walk with an audio book. Maybe I'll pop some gum in my mouth as soon as I get back home and see if that helps.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #307

Wanted to report in here!

Started LC 3 weeks ago and the first 2 weeks were fine then BAM!! I got into binging again, this time on all LC stuff!

I CAN NOT DIET OR RESTRICT, BOTTOM LINE!!

I am back to intuitive eating again and have read SO much about binging and mindful eating in the last 4 days my head has been BUT I have figured out WHY I binge and am working on this every minute of everyday!

Asking myself LOTS of questions, getting back in tune with my body and brain, and disconnecting my brain's idea of "hunger" with the real stomach/body hunger! This has been the hardest thing to figure out because after so many years of "eat this way, don't eat that way, eat at this time, don't eat at this time, eat breakfast, breakfast doesn't matter, don't eat carbs, carbs are ok, etc. my poor body has NO idea what hungry and full are!!

Started back on intuitive eating on Monday and I will have to say my mind is slowly fading and my body is taking over when it comes to the "Am I Hungry" question! MAJOR epiphany moment last night when I shifted from my head hunger to focusing on my stomach/body hunger and found I wasn't hunger AT ALL! Had to do this 4 times (because night time binging is SUCH a big habit because it's focused on my brain and not my REAL hunger) before my brain shut up, but it did shut up and I was at peace with food for the first time in 10 years!! I have figured out I need to eat slowly and not be distracted in any way or I eat too fast and can't "hear" the full feeling. That "I'm full" voice is so quiet right now from being silenced for so long that I REALLY need to pay attention and be totally mindful of how I'm eating so I can hear it. I can't wait until the day it's so loud EVERYONE will hear it around me!

It's so boring sitting at the table and eating with no TV on, no computer on, no radio on or no reading material in front of me BUT I will tell you, I'm eating far less than I could have imagined in the last 10 years without even making myself eat less. I also had DH hide the scales and I REFUSE to step on one until I go for my physical in late Sept! That number every day, several times a day, on that scale messed with my mind SO bad.....it HAD to go!!

This is my final journey.....getting back to a normal relationship with food and getting back to where food is NOT a focus, but life is! NO MORE DIETS for me, ever!! I'm going to eat intuitively like I did for 45 years and this time I will NOT mess with it in anyway!!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #308
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Sounds like a healthy logical approach Linda
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Sounds like a healthy logical approach Linda
Thanks I finally realized this was TRULY the only approach now to get rid of the binging and stress from dieting! I feel like a new person but I also know that 3 weeks from now this enthusiasm is going to wane and when it does this time I'm ready with a plan of action to just keep going, to get through this period of frustration, and pull ahead to my aim of a healthier and happier me and my relationship to food again!

I know not having the scale is going to be a BIG plus when this happens (the waning enthusiasm happens every time I try to change bad habits) because that number won't be a deciding factor of "accomplishment or failure" because there isn't any scale number anymore!!

Last edited by Beeb; 08-09-2013 at 05:26 AM..
Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #310
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Good luck, Linda
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Good luck, Linda
Thank you!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #312
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Good luck to you, Linda!

I go in between thinking about 5:2, JUDDD & intuitive eating. IE is the way I want to be able to eat AND lose but my mind keeps thinking I need a diet. Then it tells me I won't make 5:2 or JUDDD a long term lifestyle change & will then fail so why submit myself to those torturous DDs? Then I think that I should just calorie count but then my mind screams at me that I don't want to count every tedious little calorie. Then I think "Well, I guess I'm never going to lose this weight." Seriously, it all makes my head spin.

I'm so glad you are finding what works for you!
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #313

The key to my binge issues? Never go on a diet again....period!!